Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2014 1:03 AM

Sep 2013
Piegoose said:
DarkRyuusei said:
because it made me realize just how much of an asshole i really am

Trust me, you shouldn't feel like an asshole for having that type of reaction to this.

But really, what the hell was this all about? If these last two episodes of internal confliction, which take no consideration to the entire plot, were filled with intelligent dialogue and varied topics - maybe it would have been alright. It wasn't though..... my god it wasn't. I felt like I was the one going insane while watching it~

The whole discussion was: "I'm useless and everyone hates me", "No, maybe I'm wrong", "I'm useless and everyone hates me", "No, maybe I'm wrong", "I'm useless and everyone hates me", "No, maybe I'm wrong", "I'm useless and everyone hates me", "No, maybe I'm wrong", "No, I'm wrong" - -- - -- - CONGRATULATIONS SHINJI!! YOU BEAT THE PLOT!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this ending has to be the most horrific ending of any form of entertainment, on any type of media, that I have ever seen. I had to lower the score by 2, as I was being nice the whole show for the decent voice recording devices they were using and the very unimpressive visuals most of the time. I forgave it, but this is just speeding over the crossed line on a four-wheeler.

Weird~

Watch the movie then, I bet you'll love it
Feb 18, 2014 11:46 AM

Nov 2013
Interesting ending. I remember seeing a parody of the "congratulations" in Gintama so I giggled a bit at that part. Anyways, onwards to the movie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMkfGbmfhI
This video teaches me the importance of hygiene and fetishes!!!
Feb 19, 2014 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
I feel cheated.

Hmm..

I just finished EoE and yeah Shinji was annoying and cowardly but I still don't think he deserves all the hate. I mean anyone would be cowardly and incompetent compared to what Asuka did there :D But in this tv series, I don't think he was that annoying at all.
xcheeFeb 19, 2014 3:46 AM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 23, 2014 5:54 PM

Dec 2012
What the fuck...
I just... no...
Really?...
Okay...
Well I guess...
I don't know...

*My mindfuck at the ending
MastaJFeb 23, 2014 6:03 PM
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Feb 27, 2014 5:38 AM

Oct 2013
then said:
Someone please tell me wtf that was

thats what im thinking. very confusing. but i think they handled it well
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 5, 2014 6:17 PM

Mar 2013
An abomination. Defend it all you want, this will remain in history as one of the worst endings ever (last 2 episodes).

Do yourself a "favor" and just watch the End of Evangelion movie instead. Note that it is also deeply flawed, but its better than this trash.
Mar 8, 2014 2:16 AM

Dec 2013
That was somethin else! I've never seen an ending like it. For its uniqueness and positivity I like it. However, I admit that i would be PISSED if I End of Evangelion didn't exist. I want answers to the bajilion unanswered questions!

I'm glad it ended on a happy/positive note. That was an interesting secular answer to the question of why keep on living in this world even in the face of despair.

I heard that these last two episodes would be trippy and examine the main characters minds, so I wasn't blind sighted by this.

masaba said:
I loved it, until I found out that it wasn't really what they intended, plus the whole congratulations Shinji thing was gay, but I thought is really unique and deserves some credit for being done on a limited budget.

I think the fact that they were running out of money makes this ending even better! I think its impressive that the creators could make something so creative and unique on a limited budget
DaydreamHeroMar 8, 2014 2:29 AM
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 8, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2009
Awesome. Glad you liked it it. With an ending this controversial you never quite know how people will react, even if they liked the series up to that point. But, yeah, I agree it is a very creative and unique ending. Especially given the budget issues.

Btw, EoE takes place before and after the instrumentality sequence. It may only be obvious on a re-watch but these episodes heavily hint, by imagery, events in EoE.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 17, 2014 8:54 AM

Jul 2012
This show was weird as hell. I couldn't fully understand all of the philosophical meanings. Will rewatch this in the future and I'll look at the movies too.

Honestly, I didn't really like it overall, but I can see why it's a classic. Will give an 8/10.
Mar 17, 2014 2:31 PM

Jun 2013
Couldn't the ending just be Asuka and Shinji being together and like..not dying or crying ,just being happy!I Just want them to accept each other :'(

"There are no nudists in cold areas" - Tsugumi Ohba
Mar 30, 2014 9:39 PM

Dec 2012
Although I liked the exploration into Shinji's psyche and philosophy, I feel like it just dragged out way too much and the ending felt unsatisfying and incomplete. The themes they covered were interesting and I could touch base on a couple to a more personal level. Something else I found interesting was I had heard that the director of this had gone through depression/suicidal phases and wonder if Shinji's breakthrough at the end was reflective on that at all.

As a whole I really enjoyed this series, but I can't really say it left any big or lasting impressions on me. There were intriguing moments of philosophy and the psychological exploration of the characters, most notably Shinji, was remarkable. I never really had any complaints, but nothing stood out too much for me either. Guess there really is a difference between growing up with something and coming at it from a later-in-life perspective. Thinking between a 7/10 or 8/10. Congratulations!
Apr 2, 2014 2:20 PM

Sep 2013
This episode together with 25 is an abomination.

Congratulations? Wtf? Might as well end it by telling us everything took place in Shinji's mind and that the Mechas, Angels and Apocalypse simply made up by Shinji's delusion? And then showing Shinji leaving the mental hospital with the whole crew waiting to pick him up and congratulating him?
Apr 6, 2014 7:56 AM

Apr 2012
even forgiving the lack of animation, these last 2 episodes drop the show down from a 10 to a 9 :(

Thank god for EoE!
May 5, 2014 6:40 AM
May 2014
I am pretty certain that Evangelion was a metaphor for life in general with Shinji demonstrating reality only in episode 26. The rest of the series was a fantasy based upon problems with a distant father and his fears of job (The EVA being a metaphor for working life / job), being on the "wrong side" (capitalism (or other references to the corporate wealthy) vs nature (represented by the angels - which is both loving and destructive)).

His father (and mother) were in control of his job - as you'd expect from reality.

He had a fantasy of living, not with his parents, but with with the hot girl that came to the school and his two female friends.

He hated to have to buckle down to work, study and do a job - even when the EVA itself could do the work for him or can get out of control - the sort of thing that happens in reality. It was making Shinji very depressed. But if he adapted to reality then he could continue...

Obviously this may not please the fans but does explain episode 26, EVAs and Angels and other aspects of the plot.
May 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Nov 2012
The show was nice, but what a train-wreck of an ending.
I dislike cuteness, moe, lolis, romance, romantic comedies, slice of life, ecchi, harem, waifus and fan-service.
May 17, 2014 1:09 AM

May 2014
...I.. I don't even... WHY?!

That ending was so unsatisfactory. There was practically 0 closure on that.. I have like a million questions for this. I'm gonna marathon this series to see if I understand anything better. Plus I guess I'll watch the End of Evangelion and I'll definitely watch the Rebuild movies.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
May 21, 2014 4:00 AM

Sep 2013
Well those last 2 episodes weren't great at all. We could already work out a lot of those explanations as to how Shinji was feeling from previous episodes.

derikic said:
I am pretty certain that Evangelion was a metaphor for life in general with Shinji demonstrating reality only in episode 26.
This does seem like it could make sense, and that those few minutes of school life were the real world.

Have yet to watch EoE but will get round to it soon enough, hopefully to clear up some loose ends.

Oh and i have to say, episode 19 was one of the best episodes i've seen.
May 22, 2014 2:34 PM

May 2013
Still the greatest ending of all time.
11/10
May 23, 2014 10:44 AM

Jun 2013
RevolverSnake said:
Still the greatest ending of all time.
11/10

Yup. I feel bad for people who don't understand it, but then when they make dumb posts out of sheer ignorance I don't feel so bad for them.

People get upset when they are confused, and this thread is a PERFECT example.
May 25, 2014 7:05 PM
Apr 2013
...What?
Jun 3, 2014 4:44 PM

May 2014
Wa- What the hell? I guess I'm too dump to understand the ending...
Jun 7, 2014 8:07 AM

Jul 2012
the drugs are strong on this anime
Jun 8, 2014 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
The show overall was really good, the ending though really sucked for me.
My Candies:
Jun 12, 2014 5:07 AM

Dec 2012
I watched episodes 25 and 26...at like 4 am. I seriously have no idea what I just watched. Am I just too tired? Or am I too dumb to comprehend this @.@ that was just crazy...
Jun 15, 2014 2:37 PM

Jun 2012
I was aware beforehand that the to last episodes were... special to say the least. Honestly, I didn't think it was as terribad as some say it is. I understand what they tried there, but it could have been way better. It didn't really work, too dragged out and got quite boring after a while. That small comedy piece in the last episode was fun though. I know the is End of Evangelion, but considering those two episodes were supposed to be the closure at the time, I can understand why people weren't really happy. I know I wouldn't.

Apart from the last two episodes, the whole anime was a very good one. It also made me realise how lucky I am not to be affected by epilepsy. No seriously, sometimes it was flashy as hell.
Jun 17, 2014 10:59 PM
Jun 2014
I vote for I love it! I understand why others dissapoited trough... It's not your usual ending.

I think most people who said that episode 26 is a perfect ending, is probably have encounter mental illness or depression in some way. And people who like Shinji as characters probably saw the hardship and pain he is in and can relate with it. Honestly, NGE is never about Eva or Angel or Nerv...

Because it's not. NGE is about loneliness and pain (and probably depression LOL). I notice it since the begining. NGE is a way to escape depression for Ano.

So yeah, for me, the moment Shinji finally realize that he should and can love himself is heartwarming. Because overcome depression isn't easy, and after this Shinji may be still unsure and doubt himself even more. But the important thing is he finally realize he is worth to live, he finally realize he can be loved too. And that's good.

NGE is not just any other anime, it's Hideaki Ano experience, it's his way to overcome depression. To judge NGE objectively like any other anime is impossible, because it's too personal.

I have not watch End of Evangelion, but personally I'm already satisfied with this ending.
fearilleMay 5, 2020 8:39 PM
Jun 21, 2014 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
So overrated.
Jun 23, 2014 10:03 AM

Jan 2014
ZarathustraDK said:
Definitely one of the best endings in my book, budget-restraints or not.

I guess I'm predisposed to like themes like that though, as I've studied philosophy. What episode 25 & 26 lacks in mundane action it makes up for 10 times with the depth of the theory covered in such a short amount of time.

Those episodes alone are really a masterpiece in terms of philosophy/psychology. I haven't seen anything that gets even close to this anywhere else. I showed the whole series to my philosophy-class some years ago, they were yawning through the first 17-18 episodes, then from 18-24 they started to get interested, and after 25-26 they thought it was the most awesome series ever.

I can understand why some people are disappointed though, expecting an action-packed ending and instead getting 50 minutes that is pretty hard to understand fully without some substantial knowledge of metaphysics and epistemology. I guess that's the crux of the whole neverending flamewar about these two episodes,

Well said, I completely agree.

Because you didn't understand it doesn't mean that it was bad and overrated.

Hmm... The ending is really odd, but it's amazing in the same time. So finally Shinji released his soul. It was really unique, I understood the majority. It was some piece of art.
And because I like meaningless and unique stuff, i can't help myself but give it 10/10.

Overall this series reminds me live-action movie/musical "Pink Floyd – The Wall". Especially that scene when Shinji realized that he can live happily and the sky broke (in mentioned movie the wall collapses). I think it's Pink Floyd's "The Wall" reference.
TapuTapuuJun 23, 2014 11:25 AM
Jun 26, 2014 12:37 AM

Jun 2013
So, Shinji broke free from his crazy world and back into reality! That's great! Good Anime, I'm giving it a 10/10 for keeping me occupied these last few months, it was an awesome ride. Now onto to End of Evangelion!
Jul 5, 2014 10:07 PM

Aug 2013
I actually appreciated these last two episodes. It gave us a sense of closure, while it may not have been what most were hoping for, I believe it's what was needed to properly "end" the series. Shinji's psychological struggles were really the main point of NGE so it was nice to see a sort of group therapy session as the final two episodes.

It really was like a piece of art. Something that you can almost understand, yet something you almost don't want to in the same measure. Granted I love literature, art, etc so I'm slightly biased.
Jul 14, 2014 2:56 PM
Apr 2014
Call me shallow but I wanted a more physical closure. I was loving the series up until the episodes in the mid 20's. I wanted things explained and motifs to have their reasons, not some psychological ending. :/
Jul 17, 2014 1:12 PM
Oct 2011
helur said:
The fact that it is expected to watch End of Evangelion in order to judge this ending is absurd. If i was watching it in real time it would be around a year between them, so it is not like it picks off immediately in a next season.

In all cases the last 2 episodes were a plague of randomness, and nobody can argue that this was grounded within the plot. Sure there is character development but the fact that the whole situation is unexplained, and hanging out in limbo retracts for that.

I love philosophical stuff a majority of the times, but i prefer it to be integrated into the plot then just thrown in my face.

Lost a point in entertainment value and execution of the show. down from a 10 --> 8.

What Helur said.

Evangelion 's main problem is a lack of constancy in anything. Even the psychological elements disappeared during the middle of the anime.
animaliaJul 17, 2014 3:11 PM
Jul 20, 2014 2:15 AM

Jun 2013
rawrlsy said:
Call me shallow but I wanted a more physical closure. I was loving the series up until the episodes in the mid 20's. I wanted things explained and motifs to have their reasons, not some psychological ending. :/

You and everyone else who feels this way have watched the wrong anime, sorry. Episode 25 and 26 is Evangelion. It is a psychological anime first, and a mecha second.

This series is about delving into the human psyche, and it does a phenomenal job at that.

So, again, sorry for any of you who watched up to this point and didn't like the last 2 episodes. You have watched the wrong anime. It is a masterpiece, but not meant for you.
Jul 26, 2014 7:26 PM

Feb 2014
Overall I thought this series was very good! But the last 2 episodes...they were pretty weird. And on the subject of this last episode...it was like watching a slideshow :P I was hoping for a little more closure, though. Time to watch the movie!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2014 10:20 PM

Jul 2014
It tried to be philosophical in the last 2 episodes to make up for the obvious lack of budget and as a result it portrays itself as pretentious. If this abstract philosophical theme was spliced in throughout the duration of the show, then this ending would be more acceptable but IT WASN'T. Using philosophy to appear "deep" because they ran out of budget just cheapens the overall experience of the episodes before it.

All this does is give the anime elitists a reason to praise it, the casual watchers a reason to hate it & the people that use common sense to point out the BS stunt that wasn't executed well enough to fool anyone that saw it for what it is.

I'm just glad I saw the series that got so much hype from the anime community. It was good for what it was.
Aug 1, 2014 8:15 AM

Apr 2013
alright years later several years older. i rewatched it.

you can definately see where they wanted to go with the last two episodes, but as many said and for me aswell it just comes of as pseudo psychological and incredibly pretentious

anyway as a whole

first few episodes:
the first few episodes are incredibly well done and for me actually the best. showing the hardships of piloting an eva the nerv linking etc. quite the different mecha show

introducing asuka and the following episodes:
the next few episodes change the overall tone of the series alot and it becomes more of a standard mecha series, still very enjoyable

next few episodes:
the series now again shifts the tone and becomes alot more mysterious and psychologial, interesting and fits the start of the series

eva-01's awakening:
incredibly well done, you really want to know the secret behind the evas

remaining episodes:
the beginning of the mindfuckery and pretentiousness with the gran finale being episode 25 and 26

again this is about the series without end of evangelion

and the constant change of themes and tone kinda is the main problem, the series goes through a big identiy crisis in the sense that it does not know what genre it wants to be and what themes to focus on

the series will always be controversial but the impact it had on anime is undeniable

when it say pseudo psychological and mindfuck it is not meant entirely negative, it was what they were going for in a sense and actually succeeded
xSanoxAug 1, 2014 9:12 AM
Aug 24, 2014 11:54 PM
Aug 2014
It's funny you use the word mindfuck because that is exactly the word I used to describe how I felt watching the later episodes and especially ep 25 and 26.

But like you, I use this term in a positive way if that makes any sense. Just finished the main series for the first time and the mind fucking and imagery really left a great impression in a thought provoking way.

In regards to the later episodes, I can see how people could be turned off by the sudden change in tone and lack of clarity on the main plot. I think part of this is due to the ending being rushed, especially the long drawn out instances where the characters inner monologues are being flashed to the audience at an alarming pace. The pacing could have been better and I think this sequence could have benefitted from another regular scene in between (perhaps with some more backstory of the main plot) to give the audience some time to catch their breath (and eye strain). I personally paused the episode halfway through to think about what the hell was going on and also give my eyes a break from that bombardment of flash imagery. If I was stuck watching this in one shot without any break I think I may have lost interest just due to fatigue.

Still, I get what they were trying to achieve and the reward at the end when you realize the series is more about the characters themselves and their personal development rather than the plot itself, that was great.

I am hoping that the EoE fills in more of the story plot holes that were left open because regardless of the main theme of the series, the story plot was still very interesting and it would be nice to have some closure.
Aug 26, 2014 10:51 AM

May 2013
Without any warning, I would be mad at the ending, even though I thought ep25-26 were not so bad. They still made more sense to me than ep 24 and I found the last scene quite moving.

Anyway, it is a memorable series, and I am glad I finally watched it. (What a mistake it was to watch 1.0 first)
Aug 29, 2014 1:56 AM
Nov 2013
Overall I thought the series was excellent....the only minor gripe I have is it would have been nice to see if the others broke out of their own issues and started on the path of recovery as well as Shinji. Towards the end I think anyone would be hard pressed to label any of them as "completely normal" as they all had psychological breakdowns of varying degrees. Still I feel the anime actually does deserve a 9 or 10 personally and can't wait to see the movies and reboot now as I had seen bits and pieces of this anime over the years but never actually watched it from beginning to end.
Sep 9, 2014 5:09 PM

May 2014
I expected too much
my freaking god. i tought there was going be something but there wasnt..
Sep 9, 2014 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Icarusu said:
I expected too much

You'll forgive it after seeing the movie
Sep 9, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2009
Piegoose said:
Icarusu said:
I expected too much

I doubt it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 9, 2014 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
insan3soldiern said:
Piegoose said:

I doubt it.

[quote=insan3soldiern's signature]"Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right."

- Yui Ikari, The End of Evangelion[/quote]
Checkmate
Sep 18, 2014 12:35 AM

Jun 2014
I never really understood why so many people found the ending confusing. I mean, I get how they would be pissed at the unshown continuation of NERV and SEELE, and the rest of the Instrumentality and everything, but the insight into the character's minds made sense, and I thought it was a good way to show it, considering the low budget.

Plus the applause at the end was somewhat touching.
Sep 18, 2014 1:14 AM

Jun 2009
Piegoose said:
insan3soldiern said:

I doubt it.

[quote=insan3soldiern's signature]"Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right."

- Yui Ikari, The End of Evangelion

Checkmate[/quote]

Not really sure what me liking the movie has to do with anything though.... his post implies that he didn't like much of anything about the series, so it's doubtful he'd like the movie.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 20, 2014 2:12 AM
May 2014
DerpCat said:
I never really understood why so many people found the ending confusing. I mean, I get how they would be pissed at the unshown continuation of NERV and SEELE, and the rest of the Instrumentality and everything, but the insight into the character's minds made sense, and I thought it was a good way to show it, considering the low budget.

Plus the applause at the end was somewhat touching.

Pretty much, I just finished NGE for the first time, and this episode, while very mind engaging (not that much as ep. 25 tho) it was amazingly portrayed how the personality of shinji has shifted towards something good.
I guess people are mad because the Gendo - Seele conflict was left unanswered, but in my opinion it was not the main plot of this anime, as it definitely were the psychological struggles of the main characters.
Sep 26, 2014 3:01 PM

Jul 2014
wasting time watch this shit,,, f*ck
Sep 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Jun 2014
abg said:
wasting time watch this shit,,, f*ck

What do you mean? I mean, this ending was very anticlimactic, but I gained a new opinion on it and the series itself when I watched the movie. It actually finishes the story and is what actually happened, without going into spoilers.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Oct 20, 2014 3:47 AM

Oct 2010
yeh this is probably the worst ending i have ever seen
Nov 6, 2014 1:39 PM

Sep 2014
Meh. The last two episodes were incredibly boring and dragged on WAY too long.

The show fell apart somewhat around the 20-ish? mark when they started dumping enormous amounts of dialogue and information on us. The conspiracy isn't that interesting and I don't like how they're handling the psychological elements: I preferred watching Shinji slowly deal with the burdens of fighting a robot and having crewmates.

The pacing of the robot baddies was very well done and once the angels stopped coming at a frequent rate the other scenes seemed dull. Well, onto the movie. Hopefully shit picks up again
Pages (17) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

268 by katto_al_ameer »»
Yesterday, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

287 by Legal1234 »»
May 23, 6:21 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

196 by Legal1234 »»
May 23, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

269 by Legal1234 »»
May 22, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

168 by MelloRl »»
May 20, 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.