Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Sep 4, 2011 7:31 AM

Sep 2011
I'm starting to hate Modoka now, she is completely useless >:(
Sep 16, 2011 5:29 AM
Oct 2010
Kyuubey is one freaking demon!!
AudioCipher said:
I really enjoyed this Ep. I don't like how apathetic Kyuubey is about people dying, but I suppose I could understand why. Since he isn't human his view of human lives could be comparable to the way most of us would feel about dying ants.

Yeah I guess. Anyway I think he has no feelings at all...his purpose seems to be solely to fight witches, therefore completely different from us, humans, who don't possess such an objective purpose and allegedly live by the sake of living because we have feelings and ambitions (most of us I guess)
He's a demon! I thought that thing was cute before watching the show D:

Great episode.

I'm curious about Homura, and that what's-its-name creature that will come to the city.
Let's see if Madoka finally decides to become a Mahou Shoujo...To be, or not to be, that is the question!

Sep 16, 2011 9:37 PM

Aug 2008
Iilia said:

•••

What really happened:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: All I can say is that that's too reckless.

What I thought would happen:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: Become a Mahou Shoujo! :3

Seriously, was I the only one who thought this? XD

Overall, fun episode. I like the Mahou Shoujo vs. Mahou Shoujo concept a lot better than the Mahou Shoujo versus witches thing. It's just a lot more entertaining to watch.
That’s precisely what I thought he was going to say... but oh surprise... instead made a witty remark... and reinforced Homura’s way of thinking... Sayaka’s full of weknesses :/. But also dun you think if he suggested the idea of becoming a MS to Madoka wouldn’t that be breaking the Rules? xDDD Muahahah evil Furry is witty and sleezy

Yes is intereting but emotionally straining for our dear poor Madoka. Really she’s annoying whinny and all that uncomfortable shi. But lets’ face she’s naive and pure and she’s so in character that’s annoying. But doesn’t matter. I’m pretty sure while she stands put and never agree to cantract with Kyubei everything will be alright. Madoka hatable character? No. Likable? Either. Depends a lot in your own personality

Loved the episode, although kinda pointed out lots of obvious things, the ones mentioned are quite helpful to make things clearer for the non believers and dense people.

First of all clearing any kind of doubts about Homura’s Power source.. SO she’s indeed a Space/Time Bender and can manipulate the space around her at will showing off teletrasporting between short distances. Maybe that’s a huge drawback of her powers or maybe she can teleport longer distances but requires longer amounts of say mana, aka Soul Gem extract, which is pretty inconvenient at this point since means that you need huge Grief Seeds to purify your Soul Gem

Oh talking about Gem’s pureness.. That friggin furry bastard didn’t say what happens to the MS if the Soul Gem completely dims... he was about to say it, but stopped right before producing and sound and just did that disturbing action... Seriously, what does he pretend with that? Does he really keeps the Grief Seeds he consumes in check or is he actually gaining power from them...? Looks like those are his food...

Althou that may tilt the balance towards the ‘Evil Furry Being’ theory since he’s eating the remains of despair and every negative human feeling, he counterweighted with his sudden “Madoka don’t do that” and the whole ammoral act he put up when they were discussing about the real origin of the Soul Gem and his heartless remark: “I don’t know why humans care so much about their bodies. Since you make the contract your bodies are like mere hardware. Hardware that can be easily repaired. Means doesn’t matter to your body while you keep your Soul Gem intact.”

Which made me realise and ask to myself: Then that means you can take over other body you like? Say can I be that old lady? But also made me think about the constrains of such possibility... Then that means that I can only take over a young lady body. Also made me wonder... Does Kyubei only makes contracts with Girls, or he makes contracts with any kind of human female?

What does all this senseless blabbering goes to? Well it’s easy there are two paths to this devation of mine: i) Homura is actually really old, like Middle Age Girl or something along that line that keeps switching bodies around each period of time and just tries to keep the balance of the world, or, ii) she’s actually Madoka of the future, since she just switched bodies with a future MS, Time Travelled back and now tries really hard to stop herself from signing the contract... Shesh doesn’t matter... just breaking into such posibility...

Oh well... I wasn’t surprised of the fact that the Soul Gem is actually MS life source... It’s not called SOUL Gem for nothign right? It was already stated so wasn’t surprised of the effects, but seriously that 100m radius of effect is highly inconvenient. Something like someone jokingly pointed out could happen to you... Really how come that little furry bastard called Kyubei never mentioned such inconvenience...

What actually surprised me was Madoka’s action and Homura’s and Kyoko’s reactions, one true to character and the other a bit out of character. But maybe Homura’s reaction was alll because she knows the effects of walking straying away from the Soul Gem and since she wants to avoid Madoka making a Contract at all costs, she perfectly knows what Sayaka means to Madoka. While Kyoko’s reaction was true to character but surprising since the Furry Bastard kept such little detail out of contract up til know for our poor Sweets Loving girl... thought he was honest with her... Well guess what he wasn’t... What else is he hiding huh?

Oh Madoka, Madoka.... Was that supposed to stop the fight? If the such condition didn’t exist I’m pretty sure Sayaka would have ran immediately after it and chase over ituntil she got control over the Soul Gem, just like Homura did... Was that supposed to be a mistake. Was a seriously naive move and lame mistake. I thought he was going to take over the Gem and use it to transform and fight in Sayaka’s place with her powers, not throw away and possibly shatter the Gem into million pieces... Unfrotunately or fortunately whichever the way you look at it, fell over a speeding van which softened it’s fall :/

I would have been disheartened if Sayaka died that way... I found myself unhappy with it and lost hope fo a moment but thankfully Sayaka revived shortly after Homura brought the Gem back. If it wasn’t for Homura... Homura saves the day again, but also makes me wonder if she’s going to save the day for the rest of the series... or will she fail at some point... Her Failure scares me alot.
sol-chan76 said:
Kyuubey = Jigsaw.
Hahahahaha thought the same at some point...

Hello Madoka. I want to play game and I need you to follow some rules and ignore everything else and sign an immortality contract with me.

Here are the drawbacks. Look at the screen. Those dispositives are attached to your friends, friends that you hold dear and want to protect over any cost. But now that doesn’t depend on you anymore. Is up to them to get free and keep on living...

Hehehe sorry you got a big freaky SAW franchise fan here... Got immersed in its plot and everything... loved how everythign ended. By the way all this Jigsaw like convo I just made up reminds me of the fact that making a contract with Kyubei is pretty much deciding between your life and your death (extended life)
Monad said:
I wonder, how many of you wish Homura would have killed the little shit in episode 1.

HE NEVER STOPS!!!!!!

Count me in too! Hahahah same Monad same… Homura wasn’t lucky enough to kill that bastard… that bastard had enough skillz to contact Madoka befote dead… such a shame I would have that happening. But now is impossible... and yes... I’m pretty sure he can do such thing to push Madoka to sign tha damned friggin contract... Little furry bastard...

Cool DDR scene was cool... Loved it. Kyoko is a pro too! Lol she was noming Rockys instead of Pockys hahaha.... Also that Walpurgisnacht event Homura mentioned picked up my interest gravely and immediately made me wonder of the possibilities. Later discovering is the name of a European Witch-themed Fest.... Night of the Witches... nice... aka friggin huge enemy incoming... or hordes of enemies incoming... Makes me more worried since discovered it’s referenced in Faust... damn...

Oh Finally could unveil, pretty much for the record, the symbol attached to Mami... Looks like it was a Yellow Star Shaped one... suits her personality :P Oh talkin about her... I’m quite certain she’s dead. Two facts and a possible third one. i) MS costume dispel shortly after her head was maimed... ii) Her Gem was on top of her head as a head ornament, pretty much we can be certain Charlotte-chan eat the Gem thus ending her life... Scary poor Mami... and the iii) Kyubei hidding such critical fact from every MS we know... Hmmm let’s move onto the next episode YA-HA!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2011 8:33 PM

Jun 2010
I don't know why we had to get halfway through the series before we finally get some ominous information about being a magical girl, and I'm a little underwhelmed by what it was. So a magical girl is her soul gem and her body just becomes an object for it to control.

Sure it's weird, but it doesn't seem to affect how they live their lives, so the whole thing seems like more of a culture shock than anything they should actually be horrified about. I can easily imagine people knowing about it beforehand and still deciding to go through with the transformation.

And if a magical girl's body is only a repairable object and the only actually important thing is the soul gem, why did Mami die when her apparently empty skull was bitten off her body?

What was more ominous for me is that using magic poisons the soul and the only way to clean it is to kill witches for their grief seeds. They've essentially become predators who need to hunt to satisfy a new physical need. But this was deducible from episode 2.
FronzelOct 23, 2011 8:39 PM
Oct 25, 2011 10:43 PM

Jun 2010
Fronzel said:

And if a magical girl's body is only a repairable object and the only actually important thing is the soul gem, why did Mami die when her apparently empty skull was bitten off her body?

Mami's Soul Gem is located on her head as a hair decor. That's why she died. And while yes it's not TOO much a big deal about the Soul Gem thing, but if you haven't noticed, Kyubey keeps all the girls in the dark about the truth about the Soul Gems.

Mami NEVER knew about it and she was a magical girl for well over a year or two, same with Kyouko. If you are a veteran magical girl and you JUST finally discover you're not human, of course you would be shocked at the revelation.
Dec 7, 2011 2:21 AM

Jun 2011
The plot suddenly thickens. Mahou Shoujo can die when they are 100m apart from their Soul Gem. Kyubey finally shows his true nature in this episode.

I wish Homura really did kill him back in episode 1...
Dec 21, 2011 2:15 AM

Oct 2011
That episode was absolutely hilarious! Kyuube not talking about what happens when the soul gem is dimmed, Madoka unintentionally killing Sayaka, and of course the DDR. That was all too priceless.

Anyways, for me, this episode confirmed a couple things; such as, Sayaka will never get with the violinist, Kyuube is evil as fuck and manipulates the magical girls to do his bidding, and Homura probably doesn't care much about Sayaka and only chooses to protect her so Madoka won't do anything rash.
Feb 6, 2012 4:09 PM

Aug 2011
So Madoka pretty much kills her best friend by throwing away her gem (oh come on, it's obvious you can't do that!), and then starts crying and blaming Kyuubey? Seriously one of the most annoying main characters I've ever seen...

The rest of the episode was quite interesting, with more background information and plot development. Homura is as epic as ever.
Feb 20, 2012 2:17 PM

Dec 2009
Holy fucking shit, that was some intense shit.

Too bad we didn't get any action in this episode, but it was so damn good anyway ^_^

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Feb 26, 2012 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not liking how Kyubey brings up the idea of Madoka signing the contract at every single oportunity. starting to think he might be evil in all this story.
Mar 10, 2012 11:36 AM

Jan 2010
Wow, Homura, I love her.
Kyouko doesn't annoy me a lot anymore, it was nice seeing her get concerned about Sayaka even though she hates her guts.
Wow, Kyubey is such an asshole!
"I don't get why humans are concerned about where their souls end up," I COULD KILL HIM.
Mar 19, 2012 5:27 PM

Aug 2011
Good episode. Not sure why the girls were freaking out about their souls being moved. Seems quite advantageous.
Mar 28, 2012 5:12 PM

Feb 2012
Usually I hate it when a character endlessly wines but I don’t feel that way for Madoka BECAUSE SHE IS RIGHT. There really isn’t a good reason why magic girls shouldn’t work together. At least they could form a guild that defines boundaries, arbitrates disputes and provide emergency services such as grief seeds if they are needed. So much magic is wasted when they fight each other.

I imagine groups would form naturally between weaker magic girls to protect themselves from the strong ones. Eventually the strong magic girls will form groups because you can always use more lackeys. Magic girls my still fight each other but it would group on group and not lone wolf. Honestly it would make a lot of sense if magic girls fought in pairs. All they need to do is have alternating patrols so there is a constant magic presence and meet up together to fight the tough ones.
Apr 12, 2012 10:46 AM

Apr 2012
Stupid Madoka. It's obvious you don't want to throw that thing around! *facedesk* Besides, even if it hadn't nearly killed her, I'm sure Sayaka would've just jumped after it and ended up killing herself from either the fall or getting ran over. Great plan there, Madoka. Great plan.

Wow that was good though. Surprisingly, I sort of wish Sayaka had stayed dead. (And I don't want her to die. o-o) It would've been more hardhitting.

KYUBE'S EVIL. *FUMES* I so wanted Kyoko to throw him right off the bridge... =w=
Apr 17, 2012 10:15 AM

Mar 2011
The bodies are empty shells, eh? That's weird.
Apr 17, 2012 12:21 PM

May 2008
I was not expecting a twist like that at all, Kyuubey is ether a evil mastermind or a twisted creature who screws with people.

This Anime is something else, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it :D.
Apr 17, 2012 4:11 PM

Sep 2011
Kyuubey is getting creepier by every episode o_O I agree on the possibility that he is going to be the main antagonist, I mean he is eating the Grief Seeds and doesn't care one bit about humans, only his contracts. This is just big a game for him... Or maybe not :D
I'm also starting to understand why Homura is the most liked and favorited of the main characters. She is pretty cool :)
Apr 25, 2012 8:19 PM
Mar 2012
Why the hell does Kyubey want Madoka's soul so badly? Also, awesome revelation at the end there. All these girls have been taken in by this evil stuffed animal.

4/5
May 2, 2012 5:48 AM
Jan 2012
Kyuubey is really the devil.

And Kyouko = Best character.
DDR FTW!
May 16, 2012 3:18 PM

Oct 2010
i'm still not entirely sure if i find kyuubey evil yet. in theory the soul gem thing seems to work pretty well, as long as they don't get rid of it, right?

i was so upset for a minute - sayaka is my favorite! but i had a feeling she couldn't go so soon...
the soul gem being their soul though, i think i figured that out pretty early on :-/
Jun 16, 2012 6:40 PM

Feb 2011
Oh Kyubey, you devious troll you. He made a valid point though, they never asked.
Jun 24, 2012 9:46 AM

Apr 2012
The entire scene where Kyouko was holding Kyubey up, I was like "THROW THAT BASTARD OFF THE BRIDGE!!!"
Jul 18, 2012 3:11 PM

Oct 2011
This is getting better and better every episode! That Kyubey really is something else, putting their souls in the gems. There's something really devious about him, but I still can't decide whether I think he's the antagonist or not. Glad that Sayaka didn't die though. I'm just wondering when Madoka is going to sign a contract, we're halfway through and still nothing.
Jul 18, 2012 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
Sayaka is my favorite character in the series, and the first time I watched it I thought that she died. This just makes me get more freaked out by kyubey. He's just taking you and putting you into a container.
Aug 25, 2012 9:09 AM

Feb 2012
I do not trust Kyubey, what else is he hiding, separating the souls from their bodies is pretty fucked up?

Walpurgis Night sounds like the climax of this whole thing, I guess it's what we saw in the first episode.

I don't know what's going on in Homura's mind but I'm glad she saved Sayaka, Mami's death is still present, killing another girl would have been so cruel.
Aug 31, 2012 7:02 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, intense episode, nearly forgot about their souls actually being in the Soul Gems ... wow. Now that Homura is helping out ... whose side is she on, anyway?! Looks like most people don't know about it, but I guess Kyubey is the "you didn't ask" type. Well, I'm pretty sure next episode is Kyouko's past episode, and then that's as far as I got on my first go ...
Sep 7, 2012 5:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kyubei has to die. Please.

Madoka's mums advice was about to backfire very badly and nearly tramautised her daughter for life.

Homura saves the day...Again.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 9, 2012 5:50 PM

May 2012
SHIT MADOKA GET IT TOGETHER! Also this once proves yet again that Homura is the best. Madoka is a pretty bad main character. They keep saying how she could be so strong but she won't become a magical girl so what's the point? She's too helpless.
Sep 16, 2012 6:11 PM

Nov 2009
Very cool episode. They've definitely got some 'splainin to do.

The revelations were pretty disconcerting.

I could just imagine the conversation afterwards: "Rock Paper Scissors to see who gets to tell her."
\m/

Oct 9, 2012 2:50 PM

Apr 2009
In this episode, it's revealed that the girl's souls are stored in their soul gems and their bodies are just shells, that can be killed and destroyed and come back to life. This makes many wonder if Mami is still alive, since only her body is destroyed but not her soul gem. Or so it seems.

I think that her soul gem was destroyed as well, but it was never shown to be destroyed so who knows. I don't think Mami will come back. It's entirely possible, since magical girls see their bodies as their true selves, that if their "bodies" die, they die because they believe they are dead, kind of like the Matrix. Or, because Kyubei mentions that magical girls can repair their own bodies, perhaps, if your body is destroyed then you can't repair your body.

It's possible that Mami's soul gem still exists, but without a physical shell to inhabit, she's technically gone.

I'm really not happy with the red haired girl, Kyoko. She seems spoiled, like she was raised rich and sheltered. She's very self-centered. And she seems to think being a magical girl is a giant game. The way she tosses around the notion of killing people who get in her way shows a very immature attitude towards life. She doesn't seem to understand the true nature of death.

I have a feeling that after this episode she finally "gets it" and realizes the stakes of being a magical girl.
Oct 15, 2012 1:06 PM

May 2012
Woh that ending was quite fucked, good that she didn't die!
Oct 19, 2012 9:51 PM

Oct 2011
That was so freeky! 0-0
Oct 28, 2012 8:17 AM

Jan 2011
Holy crap, Kyuubey is a evil creature. Is he a witch himself or something since he also eats the grief seeds... creepy stuff. Homura is just amazing although she doesn't act that way.
Kyoko is insane though, she's acting like she is everything.
I can't wait for more, I think this is bound to get even better!
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 15, 2013 6:34 AM

Dec 2012
Yay! So now everyone hates Kyuubey as much as I do.
Feb 19, 2013 6:15 AM

Jul 2011
it was something about kyuubey something about how he's so after madoka and THOSE EYES! i knew he could not be trusted! but i still don't see him as the main antagonist
Feb 25, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
Ugh. I'm halfway done this series but still not liking it at all. It's really predictable and not as cut out as people say it is. All the yuri undertones are ticking me off and so is the main character.

Sitting at 6/10. Hopefully it's better than Sword Art Online (which gets 5 from me)
Mar 2, 2013 6:07 PM

Sep 2009
meepsheep said:
Ugh. I'm halfway done this series but still not liking it at all. It's really predictable and not as cut out as people say it is. All the yuri undertones are ticking me off and so is the main character.

Sitting at 6/10. Hopefully it's better than Sword Art Online (which gets 5 from me)
Not everyone is going to like every highly rated show. In fact, you should probably just drop the show because I get the feeling you are not going to like the last episode at all.
Mar 3, 2013 7:38 AM

Oct 2012
That Kyubei is sick motherfucker, everytime I see that bastard I wanna kill him!
Mar 3, 2013 1:18 PM

Mar 2013
Kyuubey is DEFINITELY manipulating this entire situation.

I've had him pegged since episode three or something. I don't trust him at all.
I’m just excited to see my Lord and Savior, Baphomet, represented in such glorious Italian stone. I do hope his eyes gaze upon me and that my allegiance is recognized.

Mar 3, 2013 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
Nice progression so far but I kinda wish they would tell us more of the mystery. Half the show is over and everyone knew that the soul gem would be important somehow. Didn't find the new info about their souls actually being in it and out of their bodies that mind blowing.

Kyubey is definitely one to be wary of and it will be interesting to see what he's up to. I'm liking the series so far but don't understand (at least yet) how it's being compared to NGE.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Mar 4, 2013 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
Hahahahaha that Bokurano moment. Still, it caught me off-guard. That's twice in only 6 episodes, quite the performance. I admit the character design, their faces, and their spinal cords is questionable, but all the rest is pretty decent so far. The VA cast is especially good.
Mar 19, 2013 2:14 PM

Sep 2012
Wow. Kyuubey you little rascal.
Mar 20, 2013 8:58 PM

Jun 2012
creepy! im starting to hate that kyoubey!
Mar 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Jan 2013
I've gotta say I'm starting to like this anime a lot. I was never fond of the idea of magical girls but this one is so serious and dark.
Mar 24, 2013 10:03 PM
Jan 2012
I am re-watching this show and... Not trying to advocate the devil, but Kyubey has a point, having the soul in that gem is way more practical than having it in a fragile body. Anyway, Homura was so badass in this episode :)
Mar 29, 2013 3:21 AM

Sep 2012
Damn Kyuubey is the mastermind here...
Apr 6, 2013 6:46 PM
Aug 2012
there goes kyuubey again...advocating modoka within the first 5 minutes of the sode. and what a dick at the end. why wouldnt u tell them that from the start? seems kinda important...
Apr 15, 2013 5:40 PM

Dec 2012
I still have no idea what everyone's problem with Kyuubey is... He seems perfectly reasonable to me and all his choices seem completely logical. For example removing the soul for safekeeping, what's the problem? That sounds handy!
Apr 19, 2013 2:02 AM

Aug 2007
Oh man, I hope the revelation of the soul gem means that Mami is still alive and able to join the cast again...!

Apr 23, 2013 6:12 PM
Jul 2009
I officially love this show.
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favorite character

erziescarlett - May 7, 2023

33 by Zakir_knight »»
Jun 11, 9:59 PM

» Characters are annoying

Flowz0x - May 7, 2022

24 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 11, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1546 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

231 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

463 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 12:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.