Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (23) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 1, 2013 7:01 PM

Jun 2012
CrescentYozora25 said:
mixordia said:

Mikasa... I could turn into a lesbian for her without any problem :P

I feel you XD

Thirded...and for Sasha....
Jun 1, 2013 7:03 PM

Jan 2013
I wonder who's stronger, Levi or Mikasa haha. It was good to see what happened to those guys since we haven't heard from 'em since they left in the beginning.

Mikasa protecting Eren was unbelievable! She had her determination written all over her face. Eren remembering at the right time to transform was cool too. I hope he has legs though - didn't see any lol
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jun 1, 2013 7:04 PM
Apr 2013
phantom19 said:
I wonder who's stronger, Levi or Mikasa haha. It was good to see what happened to those guys since we haven't heard from 'em since they left in the beginning.

Mikasa protecting Eren was unbelievable! She had her determination written all over her face. Eren remembering at the right time to transform was cool too. I hope he has legs though - didn't see any lol

It is Levi. Although the question is if Mikasa can surpass him
Jun 1, 2013 7:04 PM

Nov 2012
phantom19 said:

in the future you will see them both in action :D

great episode
Jun 1, 2013 7:06 PM

Apr 2009
Manga readers may notice that when Petra jumps down next to Levi after he kills the first titan, the two behind her are Erd and Gunter from later on. I found that neat.
Jun 1, 2013 7:08 PM

Jun 2012
Amarrez said:
Manga readers may notice that when Petra jumps down next to Levi after he kills the first titan, the two behind her are Erd and Gunter from later on. I found that neat.

I didn't notice o_0
Jun 1, 2013 7:08 PM

Feb 2009
phantom19 said:

He's all worn out and only partially transformed, hence the exposed ribcage. You can see in this episode he only formed one of his arms, too, the one he used to stop the cannonball.
Jun 1, 2013 7:11 PM

Jun 2012
JOHJ said:
phantom19 said:

He's all worn out and only partially transformed, hence the exposed ribcage. You can see in this episode he only formed one of his arms, too, the one he used to stop the cannonball.

Also he didn't have a will to fight other humans, and he needs a will to fight in order to transform properly and use the titan correctly.
Jun 1, 2013 7:13 PM
Apr 2009
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:
Any1 else noticed how they bumped levi up to a captain in anime. Always thought it was weird a destroyer like him was a lowly lance corporal (unless manga translation was wrong).

he is a corporal, in both anime and manga....

they just treat him like a captain because he's one of the best soldiers

I guess that sort of makes sense but they never call him a corporal though.

they did, well one of the citizens called him "Corporal Levi". i double checked. are you talking about the english subs or the japanese dialogue?

gg subs call him captain throughout. Saw another sub on a site call him corporal though.
edit: Utsune clarified it so thats that

im not sure if im wrong, but i tried using google translator, and it seems to me that the characters saying "captain" in japanese and not corporal. am i wrong O_o?
Jun 1, 2013 7:13 PM

Nov 2012
Rivaille is the epitome of vitue.
Eren's transformation move looks like gear 2nd lol.
Jun 1, 2013 7:14 PM

Jun 2012
IamVacer said:
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:
Any1 else noticed how they bumped levi up to a captain in anime. Always thought it was weird a destroyer like him was a lowly lance corporal (unless manga translation was wrong).

they did, well one of the citizens called him "Corporal Levi". i double checked. are you talking about the english subs or the japanese dialogue?

gg subs call him captain throughout. Saw another sub on a site call him corporal though.

im not sure if im wrong, but i tried using google translator, and it seems to me that the characters saying "captain" in japanese and not corporal. am i wrong O_o?

In the manga he's Lance Corporal Rivaille, so it changed a bit.
Jun 1, 2013 7:15 PM

Apr 2012
did i just watch an episode of naruto?

SUMMONING JUTSU

Jun 1, 2013 7:16 PM

Jun 2011
I'm a manga reader and this episode still gave me chills. Especially the build up near the end with Eren and Grisha Jaeger. Then the transformation.

Plus, Levi appears. Humanity's greatest soldier shall show those Titan's who is boss.

Jun 1, 2013 7:17 PM
Apr 2009
MEanimaniac1 said:
IamVacer said:
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:
interpets said:
coyote256 said:

In the manga he's Lance Corporal Rivaille, so it changed a bit.

i think it might be what interpets mentioned (i.e. he is a corporal but is treated like a captain). because his peers seems to only call and respect him like that while he doesnt really give commands and still follows orders(well yet..)
Jun 1, 2013 7:18 PM
May 2013
Wow, this show just keeps on giving, every episode is better than the last, episode 5-6 exception ^^ but seriously, the production staff does such a fucking good job with this series, spending the budget exactly where its needed.
They are not afraid to save some cash on not animating a walking scene so that they can make the action / important scenes fucking epic great fucking job <3.

Awesome episode episode, peace out
Jun 1, 2013 7:18 PM
Dec 2010
What in the world??? So after burning out his old Titan he can just turn into an entirely new one now? Why not use that same energy to maintain the old titan instead of letting it burn away???
Jun 1, 2013 7:19 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was BEAST! -End comment
No need to go into detail since everything in this episode was perfectly implemented even the anime only scenes!

On a side note: I NEED GIFS for this EPISODE!!!
Jun 1, 2013 7:19 PM

Jun 2012
newnar said:
What in the world??? So after burning out his old Titan he can just turn into an entirely new one now? Why not use that same energy to maintain the old titan instead of letting it burn away???

He was too exhausted to do it....and he still has no clue how his power works.
Jun 1, 2013 7:20 PM

Feb 2013
Only this anime can make the majority of the episode a standoff and still badass.

nnangle said:
Kuchiyose no Jutsu!!

Dat Titan Jutsu

I have a question when Eren turns Titan. Does he physically turn into a titan or does he create a titan "shell" around himself kinda like a fleshy mech or something? If my question spoils something in upcoming episodes then throw them spoiler tags on plox.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jun 1, 2013 7:21 PM
Sep 2012
FUCK YES RIVAILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like how he looks in the manga more tho.
and Hanji YEAAAAAAA
follow me on tumblr (i follow back, unless your some bloody yugiohentai blog lol)
http://xoxotaku.tumblr.com

Nov 2011
Updated Anime-Manga Comparison Thread - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=589515 - please post over there if you have corrections. The Anime Discussion Threads move too fast for me to follow.

Current Ratio of Anime Episodes to Manga Chapters
9 episodes to 14 chapters = 1.5 chapters per episode

Anime Episodes left in First Cour = 3 or 4
Manga chapters left in the Trost Arc = most of 11, 12, 13, 14, most of 18

Used Chapters and Partial Chapters
Chapters 1 to 9
Levi's Special Chapter
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - first 7 pages
Training Arc Chapters used early to make the anime easier to follow)
Chapter 15, 16, 17 - most pages
Chapter 18 - first 11 pages

Episode 9 adapts the following:
Levi's Special Chapter (17 of 19 pages)
Chapter 10: What Happened To The Left Arm (all 44 pages)
Chapter 11: Response (just about the first 7 pages or so)

The two pages in Levi's chapter which weren't included is about a family being surrounded by Titans.

Most of Hanji's scenes (she's the gal with the googles-glasses) are anime-only. We're getting Hanji awesomesomeness early in the anime. Oh, and none of her scenes are fillers. They're similar to the anime-only intro of Pixis in episode 5. It's a character introduction and expansion.

The scene with Hannes and the scene with the rest of the top graduates are from the early pages of chapter 11. To make events more chronological, these were inserted into episode 9 (What Happened to the Left Arm) which is mostly based on chapter 10 (same title as ep. 9).

Grade: Extremely Faithful Adaptation with additional expansive awesome Hanji scenes.

Updated Anime-Manga Comparison Thread - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=589515 - please post over there if you have corrections. The Anime Discussion Threads move too fast for me to follow.

Apr 2009
Krissirk said:
I have a question when Eren turns Titan. Does he physically turn into a titan or does he create a titan "shell" around himself kinda like a fleshy mech or something? If my question spoils something in upcoming episodes then throw them spoiler tags on plox.

Only one person knows for certain, and that's Isayama.
Jun 1, 2013 7:22 PM
May 2013
Love how they hinted at a possible get to the cellar episode, really looking forward to that : D hope they do not pull a super cliffhanger regarding the contains of the cellar : P but after episode 5 i almost expect it ^^
Jun 1, 2013 7:23 PM

May 2012
Great VA for Levi.. nice voice.. and that cliffhanger! This episode felt so short.. Can't wait for the next ep!

Jun 1, 2013 7:23 PM

Nov 2010
Amarrez said:
Am I supposed to know who those two are?
Jun 1, 2013 7:28 PM

Feb 2009
Krissirk said:

Jun 1, 2013 7:29 PM

Jul 2010
stAtic91 said:
Amarrez said:
Durbikins said:
This songs keep getting lamer and lamer.

Yeah, it's the worst insert song I think. It's the same one from episode 3 when Eren finally manages to use the 3DMG. I want to hear the one from episode 4 again.
I think it's decent, but it's my least favorite of the ones used so far. Wasn't the song from episode 4 used again in episode 7? I kind of liked that one. The one playing when Eren was in the Titan's stomach was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing the song from the second PV, too, though I'd rather hear more of the epic orchestral tracks than vocal music.

It's Sawano's style, and personally i'm more than okay with this choice. His good quality is precisely that, mixing modern pop music with orchestral instruments and much more.

Kawaii desu ne~
Jun 1, 2013 7:30 PM

Jan 2011
Dat Branch of Sin titan transform

like that Levi guy knows how to kill in style
Jun 1, 2013 7:31 PM
Aug 2011
Levi ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ) 5/5
I creamed my pants, etc.
Jun 1, 2013 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
katsu044 said:

Those titans ain't got sht on Shiro...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 1, 2013 7:53 PM
May 2009
This episode was idiotic. Instead of trying to explain that Eren as a titan killed other titans and not humans, Mikasa and Armin just stood silent like idiots and let everyone assume the worst of Eren. Mikasa gave her little speech about killing others to defend Eren, which only villainized her more in the eyes of the spectator. I can understand Eren's silence because he had memory loss and had no idea what was happening, but the silence of Armin and Mikasa only exacerbated the soldiers' mistrust, and was completely illogical for reaching a resolution to the situation.
Jun 1, 2013 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
sillyanny said:
This episode was idiotic. Instead of trying to explain that Eren as a titan killed other titans and not humans, Mikasa and Armin just stood silent like idiots and let everyone assume the worst of Eren. Mikasa gave her little speech about killing others to defend Eren, which only villainized her more in the eyes of the spectator. I can understand Eren's silence because he had memory loss and had no idea what was happening, but the silence of Armin and Mikasa only exacerbated the soldiers' mistrust, and was completely illogical for reaching a resolution to the situation.
Well it is staying true to the manga.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 1, 2013 7:59 PM
Jun 2010
Stark700 said:
Also, a pissed off Mikasa:

Am I surprised? Nope, especially what Eren's superiors said.

Oh God how i love Mikasa <3333 and damn another amazing episode, i want more!! the episodes are so good they just feel so short -.- cant wait for next week to see how they go about Eren being a "monster" wont kill him thought i bet that xD also that basement! probably research on the serum his dad gave him? turning into a giant and all xD his dad is badass for inventing that haha
Jun 1, 2013 8:01 PM

Oct 2011
sillyanny said:

You should figure that Mikasa and Armin would have already told them but they would be like "NO I WANNA FUCKING HEAR IT FROM THE MOUTH OF THE HORSE BITCHES"

Apr 2013
sillyanny said:
don't worry he's gonna plead his case later on..
May 2009
el_putazo said:
sillyanny said:
This episode was idiotic. Instead of trying to explain that Eren as a titan killed other titans and not humans, Mikasa and Armin just stood silent like idiots and let everyone assume the worst of Eren. Mikasa gave her little speech about killing others to defend Eren, which only villianized her more in the eyes of the spectator. I can understand Eren's silence because he had memory loss and had no idea what was happening, but the silence of Armin and Mikasa only exacerbated the soldiers' mistrust, and was completely illogical for reaching a resolution to the situation.
Well it is staying true to the manga.

Yes, it is commendable that the anime is staying true to the manga, but that doesn't wipe away how ridiculous the showdown between the soldiers and Armin+Mikasa+Eren was. Mikasa has consistently been depicted as logical, and Armin is known for his intelligence, so it was very disappointing to see that these qualities were conspicuously absent in this episode. I guess my complaint would be to the source material - the manga - for having the scene written this way, rather than directly to the anime.
Jun 1, 2013 8:05 PM
May 2009
Iasuru said:
sillyanny said:

You should figure that Mikasa and Armin would have already told them but they would be like "NO I WANNA FUCKING HEAR IT FROM THE MOUTH OF THE HORSE BITCHES"

Haha. True, that is a plausible possibility, but who knows if it's actually true since the episode was not scripted that way. As the viewer, I feel like I shouldn't have to make assumptions and explanations for a scene when I get the sense that there's something off.
Jun 1, 2013 8:05 PM

Mar 2013
sillyanny said:

I agree it's pretty dumb but it was still very well executed imho. The tension was golden; it carried over very well from the manga. This should more or less resolved by next episode (I think).
Jun 1, 2013 8:06 PM
May 2009
OfficialGuts said:
sillyanny said:
don't worry he's gonna plead his case later on..

That's a relief! Well at least if Eren and co. have to run away from the humans for a little while, this might give him the opportunity to go to that basement and explore the world outside (note: I haven't read the manga)
Jun 1, 2013 8:07 PM
Oct 2008
Tyrel said:
FrostToaster said:
Wow this episode was awesome. So Eren didn't take over Darwin-Titan, but turned into a Titan himself. As predicted, his father injected him with something that would give him the ability to transform into a titan in order to protect Armin and Mikasa as well as get to the basement of their house.

Humanity is scared of course since Eren's transformation ability is unusual, and it seemed like it was only a matter of time until Eren turned on humans. However, they did make a mistake trying to kill him and Mikasa, as mentioned by the soldier. Mikasa is worth 100 soldiers, they would regret killing her later.

Now... what was in Dr. Jaeger's basement? Why does he want Eren to go there so badly. I suppose we just have to be patient.... Or get ahead with the Manga!!

nnangle said:
Kuchiyose no Jutsu!!

I was thinking the same thing!

Too bad that even the Manga's not even close.

then he uses susano :)
Jun 1, 2013 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
God, like 3 quarters of this episode felt as if it was just stalling up the ass. Also been curious about this for some time, why is everyone orgasming over Levi? Isn't this like the first time he gets major screen time coz I don't recall him doing much to anything; is it because of something in the manga? Otherwise that transformation at the end was surprising, but kind of ridiculous at the same time; hopefully the explanation is good enough.
Jun 1, 2013 8:11 PM
Oct 2008
Lulexiaa said:
OH MY GOD THAT WAS CRAZYYYY Q_______________Q

I will not read the manga b/c it will take it will take away from the excitement and nervousness as I watch the show, but OMFGGG

THIS IS CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYDHFUSHOFHIDSHF

IT GETS CRAZIER AND CRAZIER!!!!!

Good choice, resist the temtaption!!

to be honest, half of me regrets reading the manga, and i read it after ep 1 where i was just like "ok, seems like an average anime, let see where this goes" attitude. I wish i can erase my manga memories so i can enjoy the anime more.
Jun 1, 2013 8:12 PM

Mar 2013
reghrhre said:
God, like 3 quarters of this episode felt as if it was just stalling up the ass. Also been curious about this for some time, why is everyone orgasming over Levi? Isn't this like the first time he gets major screen time coz I don't recall him doing much to anything; is it because of something in the manga? Otherwise that transformation at the end was surprising, but kind of ridiculous at the same time; hopefully the explanation is good enough.

Most of them are manga readers, Levi is a pretty major character later on.

Jun 1, 2013 8:12 PM
May 2009
reghrhre said:

Yeah I think it's mostly from the manga that Levi gets his fans. He seems really badass with amazing skills, that could be a part of it. He was voted #1 in popularity on a shingeki poll I think...
Jun 1, 2013 8:13 PM

Jun 2012
reghrhre said:

Yes us who are orgasming over Levi have read the manga, well most of us. Also this episode was the first time he and the Scouting Legion got a lot of screen time. Plus he's an attractive badass.
Jun 1, 2013 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
I gunter looked different to me an in e manga
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 1, 2013 8:16 PM

Dec 2012
This anime just keeps getting better and better.

Jun 1, 2013 8:16 PM

Jul 2012
Alrighty then that explains thanks. And I can agree to an extent about his looks... I guess
Jun 1, 2013 8:17 PM

Jan 2011
el_putazo said:
katsu044 said:

Those titans ain't got sht on Shiro...
you know it!.
Jun 1, 2013 8:17 PM
Feb 2011
The Levi love comes from what he'll display later on. He's an elite among elites, like Mikasa except he's also an exceptional strategist, with a lot of experience to boot.
Pages (23) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1654 by AlocalAnimeFan »»
May 19, 1:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1555 by flimmyjimmy »»
May 19, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

921 by _akshatts_ »»
May 12, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
May 10, 10:38 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 20, 2013

851 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.