Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2016 3:44 PM

Dec 2008
Protagony said:
Kino_no_Tabi said:
After looking at your list, I suggest you check out Vampire Game. It is a really good manga and the story and characters get more interesting with each volume, in my opinion. I also like how it balances comedy and drama. It's completely translated in English. Hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks for the quick response! It's hard not to trust someone who shares a rather high manga compatibility with me, so I'll definitely be reading this one.
Your welcome!
And since we have a high compatibility, could you recommend me a completed manga for this challenge? For the "read a manga recommended to you by another manga reading challenge participant", of course. If you look at my lists, please ignore the PTR list because it's a mess ^_^"

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kino_no_Tabi?status=2
Kino_no_TabiJan 24, 2016 3:48 PM
Jan 24, 2016 4:54 PM

Aug 2013
Kino_no_Tabi said:
You're welcome!
And since we have a high compatibility, could you recommend me a completed manga for this challenge? For the "read a manga recommended to you by another manga reading challenge participant", of course. If you look at my lists, please ignore the PTR list because it's a mess ^_^"

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kino_no_Tabi?status=2
While the recency bias is strong since I just finished this manga for another task, I highly recommend trying Dosei Mansion. I believe any Kino's Journey fan would be able to appreciate it. It's a slice of life despite it not being marked as such on MAL, meaning it would be best to space out your reading (unlike myself who sped through it in a day). If you're bored after one volume, there's always Annarasumanara, something I'm surprised isn't in your completed section already. As a precautionary note, I've encountered a handful of people who were disappointed by the lack of romance in the latter, so don't go in expecting a fantastical couple development. And don't worry about your PTR, heh...
Jan 24, 2016 5:34 PM

Dec 2008
Protagony said:
While the recency bias is strong since I just finished this manga for another task, I highly recommend trying Dosei Mansion. I believe any Kino's Journey fan would be able to appreciate it. It's a slice of life despite it not being marked as such on MAL, meaning it would be best to space out your reading (unlike myself who sped through it in a day). If you're bored after one volume, there's always Annarasumanara, something I'm surprised isn't in your completed section already. As a precautionary note, I've encountered a handful of people who were disappointed by the lack of romance in the latter, so don't go in expecting a fantastical couple development. And don't worry about your PTR, heh...
Thank you for the recs! I'd completely forgotten about Dosei Mansion and Annarasumanara, and both I'd really want to check out. Now is the perfect time to do so :D
Jan 24, 2016 10:46 PM

Apr 2013
keimaconquesta said:
HeNrYTG50 said:

There's All You Need Is Kill.. :) I recommend it
Thanks for the recommendation! It was really good, it has become one of my favorites...

That's great! :D I own the volumes and I never get tired of reading it, the art is awesome and I find the characters very interesting..
Jan 25, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2013
Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Anyone? Nothing on-going if possible. Any genre is fine.

Please try to check out my completed list before recommending something.
Jan 25, 2016 2:48 PM

Mar 2013
kuroraira said:

Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku
March Story
Jan 25, 2016 3:12 PM

Feb 2013
AudioTsunami said:
kuroraira said:

Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku
March Story

Thank you very much!
Jan 25, 2016 8:15 PM

Jan 2011
ixaa said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Maybe Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet? I just briefly looked at your manga list to see what you would like.

Looking over the challenges I think I'm probably gonna use it for
» Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized

So anyone else have any recommendations?
Jan 26, 2016 4:09 AM

Jul 2009
Can you recommend me something for these two tasks, please? I am not picky, so something you really like will be great.

» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Thanks a lot ^_^
Jan 26, 2016 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
namea said:
Can you recommend me something for these two tasks, please? I am not picky, so something you really like will be great.

» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Thanks a lot ^_^

Koe no Katachi (based on a one-shot)
Bonnouji
Jan 26, 2016 9:28 AM

Oct 2007
@ReaperCreeper you should totally read Aku no Hana with me so I have someone to talk with about it haha. If you're not up for it, Ashita no Ousama from your PTR was something I really enjoyed reading.

If you prefer something not on your PTR and completed:
short: Dogs: Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark
longer: Nabari no Ou, Deadman Wonderland maybe?
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 26, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2009
kuroraira said:
namea said:
Can you recommend me...

Koe no Katachi (based on a one-shot)
Bonnouji

Thank you, seem good :3 I can't wait to read them.
Jan 26, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2011
tsuyokunaru said:
@ReaperCreeper you should totally read Aku no Hana with me so I have someone to talk with about it haha. If you're not up for it, Ashita no Ousama from your PTR was something I really enjoyed reading.

If you prefer something not on your PTR and completed:
short: Dogs: Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark
longer: Nabari no Ou, Deadman Wonderland maybe?
Well I have been looking for an excuse to start Aku no Hana. The anime was quite the intense ride, albeit frustrating how it just sort of cut out at the end.
Jan 26, 2016 7:18 PM

Oct 2007
ReaperCreeper said:
Well I have been looking for an excuse to start Aku no Hana. The anime was quite the intense ride, albeit frustrating how it just sort of cut out at the end.

I know, right?! I was almost screaming at the screen. So, I'm on chapter 5 currently, but I'll try to pick up the pace this week.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 26, 2016 7:29 PM

May 2014
So, I need a hand with the manga recommended by another participant item. Something finished would be appreciated, but as there's still plenty of time, I'm fine with any genre or length.
Jan 26, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2015
Sethlans said:
So, I need a hand with the manga recommended by another participant item. Something finished would be appreciated, but as there's still plenty of time, I'm fine with any genre or length.

Well, looking at your list, you've read a very interesting variety of series. Since you liked Rurouni Kenshin, maybe give Busou Renkin by the same author a look. It's not super long by shounen standards, and I personally prefer it to Kenshin, though that might just be because I'm not that into samurai manga.
HorkusJan 26, 2016 10:10 PM

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Jan 27, 2016 1:28 AM

Apr 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
ReaperCreeper said:
I know, right?! I was almost screaming at the screen. So, I'm on chapter 5 currently, but I'll try to pick up the pace this week.
I still want to believe in a second season , so I decided to not read the manga , so that I don't spoil myself , but I've been very frustrated too because of that haha .

I'd like some help for three item :
» Read a manga that focuses on a couple with a romantic relationship
» Read a manga with an archetype as a main character
» Read a manga that is tagged with a genre you dislike (I'm thinking about "harem" , but then I found it very difficult to find something that wouldn't annoy me greatly huhu . I'm sure there is at least some things in the departement I could enjoy , if only for the art or some good comedy aspect maybe)

Thanks in advance , I'll really appreciate any help .
Jan 27, 2016 2:18 AM

Sep 2013
I apologize if this has been asked before, but for the challenge:

* Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel

Is it limited to only these three sources or would manga adapted from novels or live action movies work as well?
Jan 27, 2016 2:45 AM

Apr 2013
delija9091 said:
I apologize if this has been asked before, but for the challenge:

* Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel

Is it limited to only these three sources or would manga adapted from novels or live action movies work as well?

tsuyokunaru said:
I think J novels could be included, even if they are different from LN, yeah.

But since there is already an item especifically about live action movies, I don't really know about that.. :s
Jan 27, 2016 3:38 AM

Sep 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

But since there is already an item especifically about live action movies, I don't really know about that.. :s

Thanks for your reply. I rather meant manga that were made for an existing live action movie or franchise. The item that you mentioned is for an existing manga that got a live action adaptation, so it's not completely the same. I'll probably just read a manga based on a novel to be sure, though.
Jan 27, 2016 5:27 AM

Oct 2007
@delija9091 Yeah, just those three sources are really included in the item, so what you're thinking of will most likely not count. Sorry!
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 27, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2015
Dullboy said:

» Read a manga that is tagged with a genre you dislike (I'm thinking about "harem" , but then I found it very difficult to find something that wouldn't annoy me greatly huhu . I'm sure there is at least some things in the departement I could enjoy , if only for the art or some good comedy aspect maybe)

Thanks in advance , I'll really appreciate any help .

Now that I think about it, archetypes are not often used for the MC. I dunno if you're a big shoujo fan, but the clearest example I can think of off the top of my head is Hibi Chouchou, which features a dandere MC. If you don't like it, I would imagine the "macho guy/delinquent" archetype is probably the easiest to find. Maybe something like Jojo Part 3 (You don't need to read the first two parts) or Beelzebub.

As for the couple, the challenge seems to be implying that it's supposed to be a couple that either starts the series together, or gets together very early on. You know, maybe Hibi Chouchou would be better for this one than for the archetype one. I'm not a huge fan of Yandere Kanojo, but that's an option as well.

I really don't like harem manga, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but the only harem I don't completely hate is The World God Only Knows. I mainly like it because of all the parody, and its self awareness later on about how harems are problematic.

As for me, I'm looking for these two:
» Read a manga with children as the main cast (I read The Electric Tale of Pikachu for this, but I'm not 100% convinced that it counts, so I'd be open to reading another series.)
» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic (There's a lot of these that are ongoing now, but I dunno about completed series)
HorkusJan 27, 2016 8:25 AM

Jan 27, 2016 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Horkus said:

Read a manga with children as the main cast

Yotsuba&! (if it counts).

Horkus said:

Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic

Battle Angel Alita (seinen with a female protagonist).

removed-userJan 27, 2016 8:52 AM
Jan 27, 2016 9:24 AM

Jan 2010
[quote=Dullboy message=44441778]
tsuyokunaru said:

@Dullboy
I think I've recommended this one already but I'm too lazy right now to check the previous pages. Maybe you could check Yonensei by Kio Shimoki, if you take the sequel into account I think it's one of the most realistic romances I've read and I can take the blame if you don't like it. And if anyone else is interested he can use it for
> Read a manga with less than 750/1500/3000 completed members 

It has less than 400 entries in total.

I'm just curious (I read "Tenohira Size." for this challenge and it was pretty good though way too short) for the "children as the main cast" challenge. I was wondering if manga with children as the focus and not as the protagonist count. Would Gakuen Babysitters or Yoningurashi count as childcare manga or it should be something more like Yotsubato where Yotsuba is clearly the protagonist? If you think about it Gon and Killua are kids so would something like Hunter x Hunter count as well? XD

Horkus said:

» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic (There's a lot of these that are ongoing now, but I dunno about completed series)

@Horkus you could try one of these:
Female Demographic with Male Lead:
Sakamichi no Apollon
Ludwig Kakumei
Shigeshoushi
Men's Kou

Male Demographic with Female Lead:
Undercurrent
Ichi
Binbougami ga!
Error205Jan 27, 2016 11:27 AM
Jan 27, 2016 9:38 AM

May 2014
Horkus said:

Well, looking at your list, you've read a very interesting variety of series. Since you liked Rurouni Kenshin, maybe give Busou Renkin by the same author a look. It's not super long by shounen standards, and I personally prefer it to Kenshin, though that might just be because I'm not that into samurai manga.

Actually, I've wanted to read Busou Renkin for a while. Now I have the perfect excuse to do so. Thanks a lot.
Jan 27, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2014
Thanks a lot for the reply Horkus .

I think I'll take a look at Hibi Chouchou , I'm not sure I'll like it , but I'll try the first volume and then I'll advise if I continue or not . I'm not a fan of shoujo (but I didn't read that much also) , but I'm always interested with recommendation that are "targeted" for girls or woman , because I always want to expend my horizon and be open minded when it come to manga .

and for your recommendation about children as the main cast , I recommend reading works from Tayiou Matsumoto : I'm thinking about "Ping Pong" , "Tekkon Kinkreet" or "Gogo monster" mostly . It's the best author when it come for stories about and with childrens (aka young boys) in it .

And thanks too , Sooru , I'll definitly check "Yonensei" , it look very interesting to me . I'll tell you what I think of it after reading it (and the sequel)
Jan 27, 2016 11:17 AM

Oct 2007
@Sooru well, in some cases even if the children are not the MAIN protagonist, if there is a big number of children that seem to have a lot of relevance or are more than recurring characters, I think it would definitely count.

In the case of Yotsubato! I think there's just one child in a main cast of adults, so I wouldn't think it counts.

Hunter x Hunter is a bit of a gray area for me because if you have a group of 5 or 6 protagonists and only 2 are children, then it might be hard to say children are the main cast.

Something that I think could definitely fit is something like Bokurano for example, though it has a lot of mature themes.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 27, 2016 11:27 AM

Jan 2010
Yotsuba's adventures usually include Ena and Miura and the adults feel more like extras most of the time so I think it's in the safe zone. But I guess works like Non non Biyori fit the description better if I got that right. Oh, I see, so mature themes are not that much of a problem if it involves a group of kids. When I was looking for what to read I was wondering if a series like Drifting Classroom (not that I liked the manga that much) could pass or the challenge focused more on the slice of life aspect. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if someone asks for a rec in the future :)
Jan 27, 2016 11:35 AM

Jan 2015
Dullboy said:
Thanks a lot for the reply Horkus .
and for your recommendation about children as the main cast , I recommend reading works from Tayiou Matsumoto : I'm thinking about "Ping Pong" , "Tekkon Kinkreet" or "Gogo monster" mostly . It's the best author when it come for stories about and with childrens (aka young boys) in it .

Gogo Monster was really interesting, thanks! It was a really surreal story, but I love the way that Matsumoto does his characters. I'm still not completely sure if the creatures in the story are real or imagined. I started Ping Pong a while back, I really should get around to finishing that as well.

Berserk said:

Battle Angel Alita (seinen with a female protagonist).

I forgot about Alita, that's something I've been wanting to read for years now. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Jan 27, 2016 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
Can I get a recommendation for this? I'd prefer something completed.
Jan 27, 2016 3:20 PM

Mar 2013
dream_eater1012 said:
Can I get a recommendation for this? I'd prefer something completed.

Kuroko No Basket
Kakukaku Shikajika
Jan 28, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 2014
Can i use Idol Pretender in this item:
» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic

If someone can recommend me some manga would be nice too ^^.
Thanks
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 5:53 AM

Oct 2007
@brenees Since the MC turns into a girl and is not just cross-dressing, I guess it can count.

As for manga recs... maybe GOTH, All You Need Is Kill or Hideout? I can't tell what you like. If it's not important and you just want to find some new stuff then Pluto.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 28, 2016 11:29 PM

Nov 2011
» Read a manga with adults as the main cast

Can someone please suggest me a title for this? Preferably 50+ chapters but any amount if okay too.
Jan 28, 2016 11:50 PM

Apr 2013
Stark700 said:

Can someone please suggest me a title for this? Preferably 50+ chapters but any amount if okay too.

Homunculus
RRR
Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa
Shigeshoushi
Planetes
Really different stories but maybe one of this is to your liking.. :)
Jan 28, 2016 11:51 PM

Nov 2011
HeNrYTG50 said:
Stark700 said:

Homunculus
RRR
Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa
Shigeshoushi
Planetes
Really different stories but maybe one of this is to your liking.. :)

Thanks, definitely going to give some of these a try :D
Jan 29, 2016 5:36 PM

Jan 2015
Question about this one:
» Read a Harem, Ecchi, Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai manga
Can it be a manga with ecchi (i.e. Tenjo Tenge or Gantz), or can it only be a manga focused on ecchi (i.e. To Love-Ru or Prison School)? Basically, is anything fine as long as it has the ecchi tag? I read Veritas, which has an ecchi tag, but looking back after finishing it, I don't know if it's perverted enough for this challenge.
HorkusJan 29, 2016 5:40 PM

Jan 29, 2016 6:01 PM

Mar 2013
It has to have the ecchi tag. If it has an ecchi tag, it's fine.
Jan 31, 2016 5:47 AM

Aug 2014
Hello guys... So does american manga count? In american manga I mean this : http://www.draculaeverlasting.com/strips-de/jill_and_nic

quote me please so I can see it in my notifications :3 thanks
sup
Jan 31, 2016 7:03 AM

Mar 2013
keimaconquesta said:
Hello guys... So does american manga count? In american manga I mean this : http://www.draculaeverlasting.com/strips-de/jill_and_nic

ummm, why do they have it right to left if it is originally written in english? That's weird and seems like a bad gimmick.
Jan 31, 2016 10:32 AM

Oct 2007
keimaconquesta said:

Gosh. I don't know.............. it seems a little strange. I think there's ELM listed in MAL database, though I'm not 100% sure.

This one in particular, although they mention paper publication, the website calls it a comic, so I guess it could count for the webcomic item? It's hard for me to decide by myself, but yeah. I think that's as far as I could let this go.

@AudioTsunami maybe to make it "more of a manga"?Tthough I also consider it gimmicky. I don't think it's weird for a comic to be done with a style that's originally Japanese, but to even go as far as to imitate the order of reading is definitely strange.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 31, 2016 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

@AudioTsunami maybe to make it "more of a manga"?Tthough I also consider it gimmicky. I don't think it's weird for a comic to be done with a style that's originally Japanese, but to even go as far as to imitate the order of reading is definitely strange.

Yeah, I guess but Manghwa is naturally similar to manga because it's from a similar region and the art style is kinda similar but it's korean so it goes left to right. Because the language goes left to right. I'd imagine if a manga author did an homage to marvel comics, he's still go right to left. It just seems like a weird gimmick that wouldn't be able to sell copy outside of an the existing manga fandom. Just seems like they are limiting the appeal of the product intentionally, which is a bad choice.
Jan 31, 2016 11:36 AM

Oct 2007
AudioTsunami said:
It just seems like a weird gimmick that wouldn't be able to sell copy outside of an the existing manga fandom. Just seems like they are limiting the appeal of the product intentionally, which is a bad choice.

I definitely agree! Specially if people who are not immersed in the manga fandom might lose interest in a story they might otherwise enjoy just because the direction to read is cumbersome.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 31, 2016 12:31 PM

Jan 2008
dream_eater1012 said:
st_owly said:
Anyone recommend a complete shojo (scanned or licensed) manga which hasn't been adapted to anything? Preferably around the 5-10 volume mark.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/373/Meteor_Methuselah
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12922/+C:_Sword_and_Cornett
http://myanimelist.net/manga/25970/Tokyo_Lastochika

+C has been on my PTR list for a while, so I think that will be the one! Thank you :)

@AudioTsunami - thanks for your suggestion too.
Jan 31, 2016 1:53 PM

Jul 2009
Can someone recommed me a manga to read in order to complete this one ? "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"

And about this one " Choose a highly rated manga from another challenger who posted on the same page you signed up on" does it have to be a manga on the challenge or it has to be from the challenger's manga list ?
Jan 31, 2016 3:27 PM

Apr 2013
shinka_otaku said:
And about this one " Choose a highly rated manga from another challenger who posted on the same page you signed up on" does it have to be a manga on the challenge or it has to be from the challenger's manga list ?

From the challenger's manga list.. :)
Jan 31, 2016 3:47 PM

Jul 2009
@HeNrYTG50 Thanks man =)
Jan 31, 2016 6:56 PM

Jan 2012
shinka_otaku said:
Can someone recommed me a manga to read in order to complete this one ? "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"

Looking at your manga list, I think you'll probably like some of these:
Air Gear
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing
Jormungand
Nurarihyon no Mago
Feb 1, 2016 2:45 AM

Jan 2011
tsuyokunaru said:
ReaperCreeper said:

I'll start it soon. Just had to catch up to the seasonals, because it was either now, or I'd end up putting them off for at least a year.
Feb 1, 2016 6:12 AM

Oct 2007
ReaperCreeper said:
I'll start it soon. Just had to catch up to the seasonals, because it was either now, or I'd end up putting them off for at least a year.

'Kay. Don't worry, I'm on chapter 15, but I don't read every day lol so maybe I'll even have to catch up to you later, who knows.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why so much ntr in manhwa?

TheRacist11 - May 12

13 by Coaghim »»
32 minutes ago

» When do you consider a manga to be "long" ( 1 2 )

Curlybrace101 - Sep 3, 2023

74 by Rhae »»
5 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

44 by phantomic109 »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

406 by barbiesata »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1085 by agberts »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.