Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 29, 2013 12:37 PM

Jan 2011
Am I the only one that's suspecting that the disciplinary committee spread those papers around?
Jan 29, 2013 12:42 PM

Dec 2012
uzy5o said:
Am I the only one that's suspecting that the disciplinary committee spread those papers around?

I´m thinking the same thing after reading your post...

This is how it all begins.

My RYM|My Last.Fm|My Steam
Jan 29, 2013 12:51 PM

Sep 2012
TimeToRepent said:
I give this episode a 3.5/5 rating.

Well, i think this arc started better than the past arcs (Komari and Mio), and I really felt the emotions of the story. I started liking Haruka with this episode. Poor girl...

But, not all is good:

Why the story is going so fast?;
Why are summarizing the original story??
All arcs will have only 3 episodes???;

Please JC, don´t be so fucking lazy, please...
If this show will have 26 episodes, but with arcs of 3 episodes, and still yet it´s not enough to adapt well the 6 arcs of the game, you will need to be a little less lazy and start working on a second season or OVAS.

I hope they won´t poop this great serie in the last episodes...

(Excuse me if I don´t speak very well English, i´m learning)

Your english was fine ;)
They have to rush the "side routes" which are basically everyone but Rin, and MAYBE Kurugaya and Kud.

Mio and Haruka's routes have a ton of romance being left out, and plot points to go with that. Komari's was fine as an adaptation, but it wasn't even one of the better stories from the VN. Komari was like the beta for Kudryavka's route lol.

I still have hope for Kud and Kurugaya, since they're including some of my favorite scenes. The emotions feel rushed in Haruka's route, but at least their somewhat there.

I was worried that people who didn't play the Visual Novel wouldn't hate Futaki as much as I did. She's still much worse in the VN where she practically begs Haruka

At least they did that somewhat properly. I just wish they'd have included more of the dialogues between Riki and each of the characters individually from the common route, but there are too many time constraints. This is what led to subtle hints about each character's route endings before getting to them, rather than having them forced on the audience periodically.

Haruka's route is 4hrs long in the VN. There are going to be a ton of issues with this adaptation ;/

I want to see how they do Season 2, which will pretty much only be Rin's route and Refrain. It's all Jun Maeda's writing at that point, but I don't know if Rin's route storyline is strong enough to carry it, honestly. It felt more believable, but less emotional than the other routes for me. Refrain was able to carry Little Busters because of how attached the audience gets to the characters. The anime just didn't let these beautifully written characters flourish enough for their stories to be believable, rather than random jumbled up melodramatic messes.

I don't remember who spread those papers around, but I think it was Futaki's troupe.

I did like some of the things they included in the episode, especially with Kud reading that astronomy book, which will become relevant to her route.
Vladz0rJan 29, 2013 12:57 PM
Jan 29, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2010
Funya-Usagi said:
Naoki-Saten said:
Funya-Usagi said:

actually she probably would, but they didn't include the yandere side of haruka in the anime to see that.

She has a yandere side? Where? When? I Never noticed anything like that.
Or is that LB EX material?

Oh shit! Totally absurd but understandable. However before the act happens I hope Haruka does realize of THE SHIT her sister went instead of her.

They might adapt it. It sounds really trauma especially if Rikki stops her there.

Remember anime adaptations ANYTHING can be taken into or not and excluded. Hence people's bitching in anime of stuff from the VN not being in the anime.

IMO it would be wise to include your spoiler.
Vladz0r said:
I was worried that people who didn't play the Visual Novel wouldn't hate Futaki as much as I did. She's still much worse in the VN where she practically begs Haruka
Oh really? Bad end and this happens to Haruka? Damn! That sucks shit! Yeah Kanata does go further but I can' deny it as to why. However for what she suffered going that far? Damn! Where is Rikki to atone that. Bad End is bad but I am still surprised of them in VNs like Little Busters. So what are the ones for Komari/Mio?

Other than that they should adapt that part of Kanata but yeah the little things not proper to the story should be cut half or 3/4 of their presentation and only have the elements kept that are vital. Something like Kud's book reading hint.

Can you PM that part of the magical parts section. I want to know all about it.
Vladz0r said:
I want to see how they do Season 2, which will pretty much only be Rin's route and Refrain. It's all Jun Maeda's writing at that point, but I don't know if Rin's route storyline is strong enough to carry it, honestly. It felt more believable, but less emotional than the other routes for me. Refrain was able to carry Little Busters because of how attached the audience gets to the characters. The anime just didn't let these beautifully written characters flourish enough for their stories to be believable, rather than random jumbled up melodramatic messes.
IMO they might be including the stuff they did in this season.

At least it would give out more substance to put in S2. Logically it's wise to do.
Yumekichi11Jan 29, 2013 1:26 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 29, 2013 2:18 PM

May 2012
honestly this Episode was for me full of twists.

1. didnt expect Haruka to care so much for dat bench.
  2. for Haruka having a bad past
  3. Kanata so bad-ass towards Haruka
  4. Haruka on rampage
  5. Kanata so kind towards Kudryavka
  6. for both of them being twins oO

dat sure got me 4/5

"It's all your fault."
Jan 29, 2013 3:21 PM

Nov 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
So what are the ones for Komari/Mio?

hmmm, from what i remember...

Jan 29, 2013 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
Yumekichi11 said:
Oh really? Bad end and this happens to Haruka? Damn! That sucks shit! Yeah Kanata does go further but I can' deny it as to why. However for what she suffered going that far? Damn! Where is Rikki to atone that. Bad End is bad but I am still surprised of them in VNs like Little Busters. So what are the ones for Komari/Mio?

It'll be my pleasure to tell you.

First off, the Komari bad ending:

Now the Mio bad endings. Yes, there are 2:

Hope you enjoyed reading ^^

btw,
Be careful with the 'magical parts', since they might contain spoilers about the main story (Refrain)
Jan 29, 2013 6:31 PM

Sep 2012
Naoki-Saten said:
Yumekichi11 said:

It'll be my pleasure to tell you.

First off, the Komari bad ending:

Now the Mio bad endings. Yes, there are 2:

Hope you enjoyed reading ^^

btw,
Be careful with the 'magical parts', since they might contain spoilers about the main story (Refrain)

Komari in LB EX:

Mio:

I thought these would be the true routes =/
Hope you enjoyed watching.

No, but in all seriousness, those are alternative bad endings to Little Busters. Instead of advancing a relationship in the way the guy posting above me mentions, you'll get to collect the
CGs instead, and have to load a previous save to get dat true route.

As for the magical parts. You probably won't be much further spoiling the Secret of the World from reading Naoki's posts, to be honest. It's already been displayed in Mio's route that the world has some Key magic in it, and doesn't quite make sense.
Vladz0rJan 29, 2013 6:36 PM
Jan 29, 2013 6:42 PM
Jun 2011
I like her, her good, her evil, and even her anger.
She's the one closest to myself in a way.
"Rainbows and puppies for everyone or EVERYBODY DIE!"
I'm not from a family as bad as hers.
By all means my life is pretty decent.
But we've all got our rations of shit from time to time, and I've been tryin to loose myself in work and anime to avoid my most recent ration.
Dead granny and a terminally ill cat.

You know.
Just like that episode, today started out as such a good day.
I go by many names, some call me Hoshimaru, others call me Jiro or Aosou-Kun.
I believe myself a force for good, a papercrafter by trade, and one who seeks love and beauty animesque.

I am the host of the youtube show Who Would You Do?
Jan 29, 2013 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
Vladz0r said:
TimeToRepent said:
I give this episode a 3.5/5 rating.

Well, i think this arc started better than the past arcs (Komari and Mio), and I really felt the emotions of the story. I started liking Haruka with this episode. Poor girl...

But, not all is good:

Why the story is going so fast?;
Why are summarizing the original story??
All arcs will have only 3 episodes???;

Please JC, don´t be so fucking lazy, please...
If this show will have 26 episodes, but with arcs of 3 episodes, and still yet it´s not enough to adapt well the 6 arcs of the game, you will need to be a little less lazy and start working on a second season or OVAS.

I hope they won´t poop this great serie in the last episodes...

(Excuse me if I don´t speak very well English, i´m learning)

Your english was fine ;)
They have to rush the "side routes" which are basically everyone but Rin, and MAYBE Kurugaya and Kud.

Mio and Haruka's routes have a ton of romance being left out, and plot points to go with that. Komari's was fine as an adaptation, but it wasn't even one of the better stories from the VN. Komari was like the beta for Kudryavka's route lol.

I still have hope for Kud and Kurugaya, since they're including some of my favorite scenes. The emotions feel rushed in Haruka's route, but at least their somewhat there.

At least they did that somewhat properly. I just wish they'd have included more of the dialogues between Riki and each of the characters individually from the common route, but there are too many time constraints. This is what led to subtle hints about each character's route endings before getting to them, rather than having them forced on the audience periodically.

Haruka's route is 4hrs long in the VN. There are going to be a ton of issues with this adaptation ;/

I don't remember who spread those papers around, but I think it was Futaki's troupe.

I did like some of the things they included in the episode, especially with Kud reading that astronomy book, which will become relevant to her route.

:D Thanks.

Yeah, all You said is right. I´m planning to play the VN after this serie ends.
At this point, i think it wouldn´t all bad to make a second season, because as I can see, at least 1 arc and the refrain won´t be adapted in the serie...

But well, let´s follow this anime until the last chapter.

Jan 29, 2013 6:55 PM

Dec 2012
Look what i´ve found:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=511561

Jan 29, 2013 7:13 PM

Sep 2012
TimeToRepent said:
Look what i´ve found:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=511561

Most people already know this XD
There's no way they could possibly wrap up Little Busters in 26 episodes.
Jan 29, 2013 9:35 PM

Oct 2010
Vladz0r said:
I understand both of you.

However the hentai stuff is only Refrain from what I heard.

Well I see how bad the ends are indeed. Damn, I don't want them if ever I try the VN. Might mind shock me.

Also will there be any in the series? So far all are good IMO, right?

Jan 30, 2013 12:55 AM

Jan 2013
Yumekichi11 said:

Well I see how bad the ends are indeed. Damn, I don't want them if ever I try the VN. Might mind shock me.

I don't know about the hentai stuff since I didn't read the EX spoilers (patiently waiting for ME to be translated), but I'm pretty sure that the hentai stuff is only LB EX (Ex stands for extasy).
Refrain is the main route of LB but it doesn't contain any romance and should therefore not contain any hentai stuff either.

And about bad endings in the series, I'm 90% sure that there won't ever be any bad endings in Key's anime adaptions because there never were any. All routes in Kanon, Air and Clannad anime concluded with the good endings (... I didn't play the Air VN though. Was that ending really the 'true' ending?).
Jan 30, 2013 1:07 AM

Oct 2010
Naoki-Saten said:
Yumekichi11 said:

I don't know about the hentai stuff since I didn't read the EX spoilers (patiently waiting for ME to be translated), but I'm pretty sure that the hentai stuff is only LB EX (Ex stands for extasy).
Refrain is the main route of LB but it doesn't contain any romance and should therefore not contain any hentai stuff either.

And about bad endings in the series, I'm 90% sure that there won't ever be any bad endings in Key's anime adaptions because there never were any. All routes in Kanon, Air and Clannad anime concluded with the good endings (... I didn't play the Air VN though. Was that ending really the 'true' ending?).
So it's another one called EX and Refrain has none, I guess there is hentai version of Refrain maybe? Not sure of that.

Other than that yeah no bad endings in most adaptations I hear but nice to know them. I will ask for more later then.

Jan 30, 2013 2:18 AM

Jan 2013
Yumekichi11 said:
So it's another one called EX and Refrain has none, I guess there is hentai version of Refrain maybe? Not sure of that.

Other than that yeah no bad endings in most adaptations I hear but nice to know them. I will ask for more later then.

There still appears to be a misunderstanding.
'Little Busters! Refrain' is the LB equivalent to 'Clannad After Story'. It's a route you unlock in the game once you've completed all 7 routes. It's the final route and it contains the true ending(s) of the whole game (Meaning it concerns all of the little busters, not just a specific girl).

There are other Versions of Little busters which are: LB EX, LB ME and LB PE. I didn't play any of those so my knowledge of them is limited. Therefore, I'll just ask all the other people on this forum!

So, guys, what exactly is the difference between EX, ME and PE? According to all the info I have until now, it's something like this:
LB EX: 3 additional routes (Saya, Futaki and Sasami) + H-scenes
LB ME: Same as EX, just without the H-scenes?
LB PE: Same as ME, just with more voice actors?

Also, there's the spin-off game 'Kud Wafter' (an equivalent to Clannad's 'Tomoyo after') where the main heroine is Kud and there exist several routes just for her.
Jan 30, 2013 4:31 AM

Sep 2011
Naoki-Saten said:

LB EX: 3 additional routes (Saya, Futaki and Sasami) + H-scenes
LB ME: Same as EX, just without the H-scenes?
LB PE: Same as ME, just with more voice actors?

LB EX: You're correct on that one, plus there are new contents on Haruka's and Kud's(Their points of view and some extra scenes).

LB ME: You're correct also plus what I said about the EX.

LB PE: Yep. Random characters have now their voices and new CGs.

Jan 30, 2013 6:01 AM

Jan 2008
I am LOVING how butthurt thr VN readers are, and it really does seem like they are the only ones complaining. I haven't read the VN, and I loved this episode.
Jan 30, 2013 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
We should be grateful that there is anime adaption for LB
Jan 30, 2013 7:02 AM

Jan 2013
DmonHiro said:
I am LOVING how butthurt thr VN readers are, and it really does seem like they are the only ones complaining. I haven't read the VN, and I loved this episode.

I advise you to reconsider that statement.
What you say suggests that all VN readers have the same opinion, which is wrong. If you take your time to read this topic carefully, you will ultimately notice that there are VN readers who complain and ones that don't.

However, being a VN reader gives you the possibility to evaluate the anime more precisely and objectively. Incidentaly, evaluating is not the same thing as complaining.

@Sa-Chan_: thx for the info
Jan 30, 2013 7:39 AM

Aug 2010
Choo-choo! All aboard the AAAAAAAAAANGST-train!

I don't think any studio could salvage the Haruka route, it's simply horrible. At least it's quicker to watch the episodes than to read the route, less mental pain this time around. 2/5. I hate Kanata so much...
Jan 30, 2013 10:02 AM
Sep 2011
One months ago I recorded the bench scene for that people who wanted to look at how really happened. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/v/lSHQI1XFf6c

And also when they judge her http://www.youtube.com/v/j4vTNqfvf_o
TrequolJan 30, 2013 10:05 AM
Jan 30, 2013 10:42 AM

Dec 2012
Trequol said:
One months ago I recorded the bench scene for that people who wanted to look at how really happened. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/v/lSHQI1XFf6c

And also when they judge her http://www.youtube.com/v/j4vTNqfvf_o

It looks a little better in the serie.

Jan 30, 2013 11:30 AM

May 2010
So they are going to cover all routes in this season & do refrain in next?
Jan 30, 2013 11:55 AM

Jan 2013
So they are going to cover all routes in this season & do refrain in next?

Nobody can tell for sure, but the majority of people on this forum reached the following assumption:

In this season, the remaining routes will be those of Kud and Kurugaya.
If there is a next season, they will cover Rin's route + EX routes (Saya, Sasami, Futaki) + Refrain.

With that kind of scedule and the current pace, they should be able to cover the whole series within 2 seasons without leaving out too many of the major aspects.
Jan 30, 2013 12:31 PM

Sep 2012
I admit I'm pretty butt-frustrated after watching Haruka's butchering.
Mio's route was fine without the romance, and the animations and use of music still moved me.
Komari's route was true to the VN, nuff said.

Haruka and the routes of
involved some pretty interesting intimate relationships in the VN. I know they won't make it, but Kurugaya plot and a major subplot of Haruka's route in the VN.

Honestly, if the character's feelings for Riki were at least addressed a little more, I wouldn't mind this abridged adaptation, but it feels like it's changing some things up a bit too much. I enjoyed episodes 1-15.

Everyone has something to say about the inconsistent animation quality, but in terms of adaptation, they adapted the core material pretty well, at least enough f or anime viewers to enjoy.

~Uguu~ can't wait for Season 2 of Little Busters ><
Jan 30, 2013 3:07 PM

Jul 2011
The episode was not good but this thread maganes to be even WORST. Suddenly this almost looks like some of those dumb SAO threads.

"duh people are complaining because this is not completely equal to the novel, they are a bunch of nitpickers"

Funny, I don't see nitpickers here. All I see is that people complaining have actual reasons for it (and I think it's fair for some people to find the bench scene dumb - I'll say more about this after) and not because this isn't a copy-paste of the VN. Even people that liked the previous episodes criticized this, like Funya-Usagi and Vladz0r.

"duh go back to your dear VN if you don't like it"

And you get out of the forums if you can't handle different opinions, please. It's not a dumb thing to watch things that you don't like if they can make you interested.
Also, I find funny how som people say to get back to their dear VN when the displeased VN fans were enjoying the anime and just got f***ing disappointed after this episode. Suddenly all the praises from before are ignored? Sigh.

tl;dr grow up, please.

"duh people are just complaining because is JC Staff doing they work, they have no good opinions about it"

I already said in another thread that the stupid bashing against JC is mostly gone - if people are criticizing JC now, is because they really feel JC is doing wrong things.
Sometimes LB fandom look like a huge field of paranoia against any criticism to the anime because people bashed the production even before it started airing. Come on.

---

Now, a honest question to those who are disappointed with this: do you really feel the direction here was worse than the direction of the previous episodes?
For me, it just look the same.

What makes Haruka's arc until now worst that the others for me is the script.
Actually, I like the script for the routes (the choices for the common route are a different matter, though). I can see the scriptwriters are doing what they can to fit the important points of each route in the limited amount of episodes each arc has. Homever, Haruka's arc is too long for 3 episodes, so seems like they cut a lot of material. That made the bench scene even more awkward - actually the point is not exactly the bench, but the tension between Kanata and Haruka, with Kanata trying to make Haruka work useless. Stomping her self-esteem.

But then, getting back to the point of the direction... I don't felt it too different from the other episodes. Is still the same bland and uninspired direction that this anime always had (except for some few episodes, coincidentally some that would boost more the sales, like Kud's). Also, the dramatic scenes doesn't have so much impact because the lack of foreshadowing during the common route events. Common route episodes here aren't giving enough character development; they surely set the friendship theme well, but staff should focus more in doing both things at the same time. For an anime, a full episode of sleepover party or cafeteria problem or test of courage is too much.

tl;dr is the same thing as always, but with more butchered script this time

Shaka-Shaka_Hey said:
We should be grateful that there is anime adaption for LB

If it's a bad or not enough competent adaptation, we shouldn't. As long as I know, adaptations are supposed to bring a wider audience to the story and giving some bonus for fans of the original work like a new storytelling perspective that isn't bad and doesn't ignore the main points of the story.
From what I can see, LB anime isn't getting much more new fans and isn't pleasing much old fans with new perspectives. At this point, is a not-so-competent adaptation, and I'm being generous with this definition. I'm pretty sure it can still go worst.

Also, unsatisfying adaptations tend to make some people judge the original work as "bad" based in how the adaptation displeases them. Just look at this. In this case is not fault of the adaptation (some people are really narrow-minded), but... well, is how it works, unfortunately.

@SleepingEntity About your point of respecting the work, the production comittee an stuff: I really wanted to be as nice as you. But it's hard to avoid being too harsh when you feel that people behind your dear anime adaptation don't take as seriously as they should the work at their hands. :/

---

tl;dr I talk too much
MiyamorisJan 30, 2013 3:15 PM

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Sep 2008
I swear those people watch LB for the sake of critisizing it rather than enjoying it.

I mean, there are parts I agree could be better, but really; watching this with the mindset of enjoying it will magically make you enjoy almost anything regardless of how shit it is. Heck the LB anime isnt even that bad to begin with.

Oh and for VN readers: If you liked the clannad anime, did you play the VN before/after/at all? A lot of times, what you see first feels best, as long as the core story is the same (no alternate universe stuff). I really believe many would "bash" the clannad anime as well, if they had played the vn first.Thats just kinda how it is.

anyhow, judge LB when its done, and do so by marathoning the eps in a row (like many of you probably did with clannad).
Wafuu~
Jan 30, 2013 4:23 PM

Sep 2012
cxu said:
I swear those people watch LB for the sake of critisizing it rather than enjoying it.

I mean, there are parts I agree could be better, but really; watching this with the mindset of enjoying it will magically make you enjoy almost anything regardless of how shit it is. Heck the LB anime isnt even that bad to begin with.

Oh and for VN readers: If you liked the clannad anime, did you play the VN before/after/at all? A lot of times, what you see first feels best, as long as the core story is the same (no alternate universe stuff). I really believe many would "bash" the clannad anime as well, if they had played the vn first.Thats just kinda how it is.

anyhow, judge LB when its done, and do so by marathoning the eps in a row (like many of you probably did with clannad).

As much as I bash it, I definitely enjoy it whenever I watch it, but I objectively criticize it as an adaptation, and a clunky mess as a standalone anime at at times.

I'm pretty sure the consensus for most VN adaptations is that the original material is always better, and the anime feels like "fanservice" to people who already read the VN. I can see this being the case for VNs that span much longer than the allotted time for the anime adaptation.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people enjoyed some of the other character routes in Clannad more than Nagisa's route, that weren't completely adapted int he anime due to them being definitive alternate endings, so there's definitely SOME hate on the anime adaptation for VN readers.

I doubt I'd rewatch Little Busters when it's done though, as much as I love it.
Jan 30, 2013 4:33 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Hold on - let me get some more popcorn.

Okay, I'm back. Carry on ;)
Jan 30, 2013 4:46 PM

Jul 2011
cxu said:

Okay, have you completely read what I wrote?
I just said some people that criticized this episode were the ones that were enjoying the previous ones. I think they are devoted VN fans and really want to support this adaptation, but nobody wants to support something they don't like.

Of course there are people watching just for the sake of bashing, but in this forum I barely see this; maybe one or another that doesn't know the VN, but they aren't majority. Also, most people that dislike LB find it boring; is not like SAO or Guilty Crown that some people find it so stupid and entertaining that is worth poking fun at it.

cxu said:

Watch with the mindset of enjoying it can't detract you of thinking about it. Thinking can both add or detract from your enjoyment, but if you don't do you lose your notion of what is really good and what's not.

I, for example, still somewhat enjoy the anime, even with all my complaints. But when I see all the problems surrouning it, I can't just enjoy it completely. I agree with @Sa-chan about wanting an adaptation that is as good as the original - and I'd add that it doesn't have to be identical to th VN. It just need to be good by itself and keep the main points of the original.

cxu said:

I remember reading some people in another forum, some time ago, say that Tsukihime anime was just considered "nonexisting" years after its debut. Homever, I don't see the same happening to Clannad.
Until now, I just saw one person complain that Clannad anime sucked compared to the VN. Even at VNDB the most harsh you can find is "the anime looks like a spoiler-fest compared to the VN". The other complaints are more about how the special episodes for Kyou and Tomoyo sucked, but the anime could stand for itself, attracted a new audience and as long as I heard, sold strongly (it's not a proof of quality, but well-adapted material sells) and kept the most important of the VN.

Can't say too much because I still need to play it, though.

On a final note, about judging LB: yeah, if someone is giving a definitive judgement for it before it ends, they are doing wrong.

Jan 30, 2013 5:40 PM

Sep 2012
I remember reading some people in another forum, some time ago, say that Tsukihime anime was just considered "nonexisting" years after its debut. Homever, I don't see the same happening to Clannad.
Until now, I just saw one person complain that Clannad anime sucked compared to the VN. Even at VNDB the most harsh you can find is "the anime looks like a spoiler-fest compared to the VN". The other complaints are more about how the special episodes for Kyou and Tomoyo sucked, but the anime could stand for itself, attracted a new audience and as long as I heard, sold strongly (it's not a proof of quality, but well-adapted material sells) and kept the most important of the VN.

Yeah, and the problem is that because of the Secret of the World in Little Busters, the common route and individual heroine routes become an essential part of Little Busters, while Clannad sort of seems to have all these branching plots that give the user alternate choices and possibilities, while they have no effect on the main story.

Little Busters should've just gotten 3 seasons because of how much more of the material is essential, honestly. It should have an average of 5-6 episodes per route ending, a lot more of the common route with each character's hints scattered throughout. Also, the extra length would make for a more believable revelation of the Secret of the World, once it actually IS revealed in the anime. I doubt the Secret of the World will even seem like it was there to begin with. I'm referring to the (light spoiler):

Every VN adaptation gets the true route adaptation, and most lengthy visual novels have alternate routes.

I'll give another example of a well adapted VN that had a lot cut out of it.

Steins;Gate

Steins;Gate has aShared Route, Suzuha Ending, Feiris Ending, Ruka Ending, Mayuri Ending, Kurisu Ending and a True Ending. None of the alternate endings are even addressed, while in the visual novel, you have to do the Mayuri ending the first time you play it, then REPLAY the VN to get the True Route.

Additionally, all of the non-true routes branch off from the True Route storyline, and thus aren't canon, and are sort of "What If" routes, so they weren't considered necessary to adapt to the anime, even as OVAs.(although they would probably make for some great OVAs)

Clannad and Steins;Gate have great written material in the true route, and are both (mostly) playable without branching off from that true route. Even if you had the save files, you can't play the Common Route of Little Busters, then do Rin's 1st and 2nd route, then go to Refrain. It will probably almost bore you during Refrain, and have little emotional impact on you as a player. It won't make sense either, because of the way Little Busters is structured.

The fact that all the routes in Little Busters blend together and become part of the main story of Refrain is what made it so awesome, and makes it different from some other visual novels that just have alternate endings routes.

The real reason why Little Busters is primarily a length issue. I know KyoAni could've done a better job directing it and prioritizing the events, and it would look FUCKING BEAUTIFUL, but there'd still probably be a ton of stuff left out, and some stories abridged, unless they made it a 6 cour series.

Little Busters Season 2, unless they decide to squeeze in Saya, Sasami, and Futaki's routes, will not have these plot compression issues. The only issue it may have is the lack of character depth and development from the first season, that may affect how well you enjoy the second season, when shit gets real.

Adapting Rin's route, some more common route, and Refrain in 26 episodes by itself will give it a perfect amount of time to develop.

Honestly, if JC Staff was given 78 episodes to adapt Little Busters instead of 52, I am convinced that it could be a masterpiece, because they wouldn't have to cut out and change up some of the events. They could simply adapt more of what was in the visual novel verbatim.

tldr; LB plot is longer by design, and most of it's considered relevant to the emotional Refrain route, unlike other VNs that just have alternate endings that aren't part of the main story, so LB anime isn't long enough to adapt everything = main problem.
Jan 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Dec 2012
Vladz0r said:

Yeah, and the problem is that because of the Secret of the World in Little Busters, the common route and individual heroine routes become an essential part of Little Busters, while Clannad sort of seems to have all these branching plots that give the user alternate choices and possibilities, while they have no effect on the main story.

Little Busters should've just gotten 3 seasons because of how much more of the material is essential, honestly. It should have an average of 5-6 episodes per route ending, a lot more of the common route with each character's hints scattered throughout. Also, the extra length would make for a more believable revelation of the Secret of the World, once it actually IS revealed in the anime. I doubt the Secret of the World will even seem like it was there to begin with. I'm referring to the (light spoiler):

Every VN adaptation gets the true route adaptation, and most lengthy visual novels have alternate routes.

I'll give another example of a well adapted VN that had a lot cut out of it.

Steins;Gate

Steins;Gate has aShared Route, Suzuha Ending, Feiris Ending, Ruka Ending, Mayuri Ending, Kurisu Ending and a True Ending. None of the alternate endings are even addressed, while in the visual novel, you have to do the Mayuri ending the first time you play it, then REPLAY the VN to get the True Route.

Additionally, all of the non-true routes branch off from the True Route storyline, and thus aren't canon, and are sort of "What If" routes, so they weren't considered necessary to adapt to the anime, even as OVAs.(although they would probably make for some great OVAs)

Clannad and Steins;Gate have great written material in the true route, and are both (mostly) playable without branching off from that true route. Even if you had the save files, you can't play the Common Route of Little Busters, then do Rin's 1st and 2nd route, then go to Refrain. It will probably almost bore you during Refrain, and have little emotional impact on you as a player. It won't make sense either, because of the way Little Busters is structured.

The fact that all the routes in Little Busters blend together and become part of the main story of Refrain is what made it so awesome, and makes it different from some other visual novels that just have alternate endings routes.

The real reason why Little Busters is primarily a length issue. I know KyoAni could've done a better job directing it and prioritizing the events, and it would look FUCKING BEAUTIFUL, but there'd still probably be a ton of stuff left out, and some stories abridged, unless they made it a 6 cour series.

Little Busters Season 2, unless they decide to squeeze in Saya, Sasami, and Futaki's routes, will not have these plot compression issues. The only issue it may have is the lack of character depth and development from the first season, that may affect how well you enjoy the second season, when shit gets real.

Adapting Rin's route, some more common route, and Refrain in 26 episodes by itself will give it a perfect amount of time to develop.

Honestly, if JC Staff was given 78 episodes to adapt Little Busters instead of 52, I am convinced that it could be a masterpiece, because they wouldn't have to cut out and change up some of the events. They could simply adapt more of what was in the visual novel verbatim.

tldr; LB plot is longer by design, and most of it's considered relevant to the emotional Refrain route, unlike other VNs that just have alternate endings that aren't part of the main story, so LB anime isn't long enough to adapt everything = main problem.

Yeah, but Steins and Clannad had a really better adaptation than LB now. The direction is leaving things to desire. That´s why I say a Second Season would be great to make better the adaptation, including the rest of the arcs that weren´t adapted in the first season, including the refrain.
But it's true what you say about the number of episodes, even the same J.C. Staff said it:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/10/18/little-busters-needs-200-episodes/

Well, it's a matter of following the series until the last episode.

Jan 30, 2013 6:12 PM

Oct 2010
Guys, this is a completely unrelated question, but in what route does the ending song "Song for Friends", or something like that, appear? I was looking through my game's sound gallery and found it, but I can't remember to what route it belongs.
Jan 30, 2013 6:18 PM

Sep 2011
Limechan said:
Guys, this is a completely unrelated question, but in what route does the ending song "Song for Friends", or something like that, appear? I was looking through my game's sound gallery and found it, but I can't remember to what route it belongs.

Kurugaya's Normal End and Refrain Normal End.

Jan 30, 2013 6:20 PM

Aug 2012
Limechan said:

It appears on Kurugaya and Refrain.
Jan 30, 2013 6:23 PM

Sep 2012
The fighting scenes never fails to make me rofl xD

But it soon turned whole way around into an emotional ep T.T well for a moment I was hoping for Haruka to tear a blood-shed there :3 she sounded like she'd really do it >< luckily Kurugaya showed up there.. and who in the world did such mean thing to Haruka! you must die for it!!
Jan 30, 2013 6:57 PM

Sep 2012
Well, this thread has mostly devolved into a minor flame war. I'll be glad when episode 17 is out and we can start on a new thread.

Although judging by people's opinions on this route, perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Jan 30, 2013 7:00 PM

Sep 2012
SleepingEntity said:
Well, this thread has mostly devolved into a minor flame war. I'll be glad when episode 17 is out and we can start on a new thread.

Although judging by people's opinions on this route, perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Sorry :X
Jan 30, 2013 8:19 PM

Nov 2010
I have played Haruka’s route in the VN two months ago, and I have to say that…

This route’s adaptation is definitely better than the VN for me so far.

The reasons are simple :

1. They cut a lot of unnecessary things that floating around Haruka’s route, which also bring a much better pace(albeit a bit too rushed). For me, the writer for her route is technically the worst from all of LB routes writer.

2. In the VN, the friendship between LB! crew reduced to almost zero in Haruka’s route. When any of Riki’s friends show up (in the VN), it seems like they are putting them just to remind that there are other people besides Riki, Haruka and Kanata.

For this reason, I find trading romance with friendship approach is a pretty good deal for the anime adaptation.

3. Those little original touches in the anime are very good and enriching the overall “feel” of Haruka’s route. The short conversation between Kanata and Kud is absolutely crucial to add more depth into Kanata’s personality (especially when things are only going to worse from now on). Also, that “Riki is the first person who approaches me” scene is a little, yet very good vanilla touch for Haruka. Thumbs up for the script writer.

Overall, it’s a good start for Haruka. I wonder if they could maintain this momentum so we wouldn’t get a shaky road to the climax of her route.

Also, I’m getting more pumped for Refrain for each improvements that they do in every episodes. I was rather pessimistic at early episodes, but now I’m pretty optimistic :3

===============================================

This is the post that I wrote for this episode before reading MAL. I know they alter a lot, especially the bench scene, but that's the GOOD thing for this adaptation for me.

Seriously, the VN is overly dramatized and has too many random flags and paces. While the VN has too many peaks that it became tiring, they make the bench scene as a buildup to create a better climax at the council room. Also, they make Kanata to be much more human-like. Kanata in the VN is too hard to relate, and I don't like to bitch and rage to someone that is not relatable.
Jan 30, 2013 11:24 PM

Oct 2010
zeroyuki92 said:
I have played Haruka’s route in the VN two months ago, and I have to say that…

This route’s adaptation is definitely better than the VN for me so far.

The reasons are simple :

1. They cut a lot of unnecessary things that floating around Haruka’s route, which also bring a much better pace(albeit a bit too rushed). For me, the writer for her route is technically the worst from all of LB routes writer.

2. In the VN, the friendship between LB! crew reduced to almost zero in Haruka’s route. When any of Riki’s friends show up (in the VN), it seems like they are putting them just to remind that there are other people besides Riki, Haruka and Kanata.

For this reason, I find trading romance with friendship approach is a pretty good deal for the anime adaptation.

3. Those little original touches in the anime are very good and enriching the overall “feel” of Haruka’s route. The short conversation between Kanata and Kud is absolutely crucial to add more depth into Kanata’s personality (especially when things are only going to worse from now on). Also, that “Riki is the first person who approaches me” scene is a little, yet very good vanilla touch for Haruka. Thumbs up for the script writer.
In this sense I agree with you.

This is what needs to be done for a lot of adaptations.

The problem is finding out the right balance what to cut and what not.

YOU SIR! You have proven that it's done right.

Jan 31, 2013 2:13 AM

Jan 2013
cxu said:

In case you're still interested, I'll provide you the experiences of one such VN reader, namely myself.

First I watched the Clannad anime and found it awesome. Then I grabbed the VN and played it though and I found the VN even more awesome than the anime. Then I watched the Clannad film... and felt that whoever directed this should just die...

The next thing I did is to watch Kanon (2006) which was quite good as well. After that, I played through the VN and deemed it better than the anime, though not by a great margin.

On a side note, I also watched the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi anime, found it great, then grabbed the Light Novel, and lo and behold, I found the Light Novel even more awesome than the anime adaption.

When I heard there would be an anime adaption of yet another Key masterpiece, I grabbed the LB VN. It was around the time the first episode aired. By the time the 6th episode aired, I've finished the VN.
I think it was the best friggin game I ever played.
So it won't surprise you at this point if I say I find the LB VN better than it's anime adaption.

Do not be mistaken. I don't think that the anime is a complete failure. Au contraire, I will admit that there are some sections that were done even better (for instance, all of episode 2).
However, in the long run, the VN clearly wins the race. It doesn't have anything to do with the order of watching.
Jan 31, 2013 3:54 AM

Oct 2010
Naoki-Saten said:
Might as well simplify as to why you think like that in general.

More time = in doing a better job and planning things out. Hence VNs are far better done since they have the most time allotted in making them with few deadlines.

However in anime less time (due to constraints and industry) = less planning available. However if Key did not bother with the shuffling of stuff it would have saved some time and perhaps done things differently maybe better than now.

In general that's the thing. Cause of the fast pace of the anime industry, VNs tend to have more time allotted to develop with less problematic stress.

Jan 31, 2013 5:56 AM

May 2012
In the visual novel

"we have more pointless events per plot movement in this route than others. Haruka has fixed enough shit, fled from enough prefects, and been accused of enough pranks in Common route that we don't need too many more here"
Jan 31, 2013 6:12 AM

Jul 2011
SleepingEntity said:

To be honest, I think this thread got better. All the walls of text are making way more progress than people making tantrums against those who disliked the episode or the random posters lol'ing at bench-kun scene (even though they have some reasons for it). Now this looks more like a discussion thread (not that only walls of text can make good discussion... Well, you know my point).
So, flame wars are mostly gone. I hope.

Vladz0r said:

This is exactly what some people were discussing since before the anime started. Not even KyoAni can reproduce the VN plot exactly - even though, as you said, they could make an amazing presentation.

I like this idea if adapting in three season, but the last one could be just 1-cour (12-13 episodes) long. Something like this:

-1st season: common route parts from only the first playthrough and Komari, Haruka, Mio, Kud and Kurugaya routes;
-2nd season: common route "summarized" with bits from the next playthroughs (stuff like
, baseball match and Rin2;
-3rd season: 12-13 episodes for Refrain.

I don't have much of a problem in having five heroine routes in a season, since they already proved they can be well-adapted. I insist, my problem is the build-up in the common route.
Anyway, I'm just a fan trying to figure out a way, I may be wrong in these decisions.

About the Secret of The World: JC lost good oportunities to hint it better at some moments like Komari's route - no scene of Riki and Komari talking in the train and no clear appearance of Kengo in the graveyard (sure VN players noticed a faint image in the rain scene, but I'm sure most anime-only viewers didn't notice anything). These are small things, but the anime implied on the second episode that something is going on so making these scenes with the clear purpose of attracting attention would be a better move than lefting it out.

I never played Steins;Gate, but I saw just a few people complaining about the adaptation - homewer, it looks like a fine anime to me. I didn't miss that anything important was missing when I watched it.
Even if I play the VN in the future and find it superior to the anime, I wouldn't dismiss the adaptation because it really holds for itself.

zeroyuki92 said:

I'm with you in many aspects: Haruka's route really could have a lot of scenes cut out, since sometimes it drags too much; the writer of her route is the worst one from LB (seriously, Chika Shirokiri has a terrible problem of balancing the pace); and the whole group presence instead of just Riki sounds good to me.

Homever, I think they did the wrong cuts. We are halfway Haruka's route now; even if they want to change the order of some events, they already neutralized the emotional effect of the bench scene. This is not something you can repare easily in your production.

---

On a side note, just for the sake of clarifying (maybe I'm being repetitive, but it's just for the sake of not leaving any misunderstanding): I said I want adaptations as good as the original sources; sure everyone wants it, but even if an adaptation is slightly inferior is doesn't mean is disposable. My problem is not with, for example 9/10 adaptation of 10/10 source material; but an 7 or 6/10 adaptation of a 10/10 source really turns me off.

---

off-topic: @Naoki-Saten, I love your avatar.
MiyamorisJan 31, 2013 6:29 AM

Jan 31, 2013 12:06 PM

Mar 2011
Back on the Key emotional roller-coaster again!

I love how no one twigs that Haruka and disciplinary committee girl have the exact same hair (so must be related because of anime trope laws!) despite it being pretty obvious!

Still, good stuff as always!
Jan 31, 2013 12:49 PM

Sep 2012
I don't have much of a problem in having five heroine routes in a season, since they already proved they can be well-adapted. I insist, my problem is the build-up in the common route.

Yes indeed. I think that the order of the character routes should've been changed a bit, to account for some of the characters that had necessary character development from the common route.

Komari Kurugaya Haruka
New order: Komari -> Kud -> Mio -> Haruka -> Kurugaya -> Rin
Each should've had more common route inbetween. There could be a bunch more added before and after Komari.

Komari's route alone develops her character, and I thought it didn't need significantly more time to wrap her route up.

Kud's character develops primarily in the route ending as well, so it would work as a standalone one. We already pretty much got to know her character after a few episodes, she's not 2deep4you.

The common route parts before Komari, between Kud and Komari, and before Mio could've added some more visits with Mio, to better hint at her character's dilemma. They could've elaborated better on her story as well, and included the date, buying books, and visiting her room from the VN.

All the while, it is important that more metaphorical hints and whatnot are added regarding the Secret of the World, of course, and I would've liked more emphasis on Futaki, as she gets her own route in EX, and is a main character in Haruka's route.

More common route inbetween Mio and Haruka could've fleshed out and foreshadowed Haruka's dilemma better, and gave a better and more realistic idea of how cruel Futaki really was in the VN.

Her route should have at least 4-5 episodes, and should've included at least the
part, and some of the other prior hints about her route.

As Funya-Usagi mentioned:
HARUKA HOWEVER goes from straight genki to outbursting without ANY TRANSITION. where the hell did those random glimpses of her worrisome expression go? the random encounters in the hallways where she's randomly pissed off and doesnt want to talk to anybody?

the Headphone scene, Cake scene, and visiting her house all takes place BEFORE the bench scene. why are they rearranging the events?

Ok, so then after Haruka's route and before Kurugaya's route, I believe there could be some room for more of the common route, maybe some more hints of the Secret of the World, etc.

Kurugaya's route should get at least 4 episodes. It also seems to fit well as a season cliffhanger ending, but I'm not sure where I would place it, if I had to redesign Little Busters as a 3 season anime, because Refrain and Rin 2 might need more than 13 episodes to develop.

Maybe 72 episodes instead of 52, 3 sets of 24.
1-24 Common Route few eps->Komari->Common Route -> Kud -> Common Route
25-48 Common>Haruka>Lot of Common Route awesomeness > Kurugaya ending
49-72 Common>Rin 1+2 > Refrain.

It sounds like a lot of Common Route, but there's a lot of great material that didn't get adapted. The comedy they didn't add is less stale than what they use the anime, in my opinion.

Also, I don't think there's been more than a SINGLE actual classday with Riki engaging with the other Little Busters characters in the classroom. The VN had a lot of this. There's also a lack of times when Riki is in his rooom chilling with Masato, Kengo, Kyousuke, and Rin. There was some at the beginning, but it went further than just a few missions with Rin.

The truer to the original, the better. These are just some of my ideas for if Little Busters had more time to develop. I know a 70+ episode anime is unrealistic for this genre though. It might've been possible to wrap it up in 2 seasons, but they'd have to remove some of the believably of Riki's position and perspective. (which they basically already have)
Jan 31, 2013 1:19 PM

Dec 2012
Vladz0r said:

Maybe 72 episodes instead of 52, 3 sets of 24.
1-24 Common Route few eps->Komari->Common Route -> Kud -> Common Route
25-48 Common>Haruka>Lot of Common Route awesomeness > Kurugaya ending
49-72 Common>Rin 1+2 > Refrain.

And Mio´s route? XD. Well planned, anyways.

Jan 31, 2013 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
... and I would've liked more emphasis on Futaki, as she gets her own route in EX, and is a main character in Haruka's route.

More common route inbetween Mio and Haruka could've fleshed out and foreshadowed Haruka's dilemma better, and gave a better and more realistic idea of how cruel Futaki really was in the VN.

Though I can't be completely sure because I never played LB EX, I believe that Haruka route and Kud route are enough to figure out Futaki's personality. Actually, there have already been enough hints about that on the anime. My lil bro who didn't play the VN already got her main points figured out. All that's left is to understand her motives and the nessecary info for that will be provided in the rest of Haruka route.

Kurugaya's route should get at least 4 episodes. It also seems to fit well as a season cliffhanger ending...

Actually, there are 3 possibilities.
a) If they keep the romance part, they would indeed need 3-4 episodes for the Kurugaya route. This route is the only one among the 5 that allows them to include the romance part without damaging their plan of pairing up Riki and Rin.
However, it's highly unlikely they would do that.

b) If they cut out the romance part, then the Kurugaya route can easily be compressed to just 2 episodes.

The most likely course of action would be:
c) They'll cut out the romance part but still give her route 3 episodes. They'll also keep SOME of the romance events (love-love-hunters, present (either by Masato or Kyousuke)) and just come up with some semi-satisfiable explanation for that.
Jan 31, 2013 2:31 PM

Jan 2013
Vladz0r said:

Well,

Mary_Vanucchi said:
off-topic: @Naoki-Saten, I love your avatar.

Why, thank you. Good to know it was the right decision to use the anime version rather then the VN one (since his concentration makes him look a bit gloomier there)
Naoki-SatenJan 31, 2013 2:38 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Nov 10, 2012

396 by eblf2013 »»
May 4, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 6, 2012

760 by eblf2013 »»
May 1, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

307 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Mar 1, 7:40 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2013

200 by little_raven »»
Feb 24, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2013

167 by little_raven »»
Feb 21, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.