Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 12, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
so i went from episode 2 to here and yeah. too much filler in the middle. so far only a solid 6. i hope it can improve from here.

Fronzel said:
Tomoya only ever seemed bitter and unhappy in the first episode of the first series so I don't buy his tears in the finale scene. Moreover Nagisa has spent the vast majority of her screentime standing around doing nothing so this idea, so important to the romance that the series is trying to work. that she's had a dramatic effect on Tomoya's life is hard to swallow.

this
Sep 1, 2013 10:55 AM

Aug 2012
Oh my, the turning point.

5/5
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 7, 2013 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Best part was when they all got together to celebrate Nagisa's birthday,everyone was there....
She was so happy when Okazaki gave her a presente..a Dango!! ^^
It was soo cool watching them all at Nagisa's birthday,true friendship...
I also feel a little bit sad,because in a week my last year of school will start,so i feel a little bit as Okazaki,it's my last year of school,i will also form just as he,and i also don't know what to do next with my life....
At least i have some anime to watch,to cheer me up :)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 25, 2013 12:59 PM

Oct 2011
Sad episode ;__; Tomoya crying and Nagisa asking to hold hands was adorable. The upcoming episodes should be good.
Oct 6, 2013 12:31 AM

Jun 2013
OH, THE TEARS! Whoever created the phrase "men don't cry" was an IDIOT! This was such a beautiful and emotional episode. Nagisa got sick and had to miss the rest of her school year, having to repeat it a third time. Santa Sunohara and Botan's doll mode were hilarious. And Tomoya gave Nagisa a dango plush! Then came graduation and Tomoya's flashback of Nagisa, and meeting up with her at the end. Tomoya broke down and Nagisa asked if they could hold hands, so cute! This was a great ending for their school life, I can't wait to see post school. Loved the episode and I love this series!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Jan 4, 2014 6:39 PM

Mar 2009
What a beautiful and touching episode! I was near tears toward the end.
It feels one part of the story ends (graduation) and another begins (life after high school). Tomoya doesn't know what to do with his life and Nagisa is recovering but still has to do over her senior year. (and Sunohara is still a wiseass!-obviious comic relief). This sounds like a good set up for some interesting future episodes. I have the feeling things are going to become more serious after this.
Jul 15, 2014 5:57 PM

Aug 2013
OH MY GOD THE FEELS!!!!!!
There are tears streaming down my face, like that has never happened before!
Such a great episode!
Wonder what will happen next now that everyone has graduated...
Jul 26, 2014 11:45 AM
Mar 2014
It seemed like she was fine to me...

and like she'll be like 20 in a class of 18 year olds
Aug 19, 2014 6:16 PM

Oct 2013
lol failed highschool twice
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jan 1, 2015 6:56 AM

Jan 2014
aw man... the dumb movie spoiled everything for me...
Jan 22, 2015 10:00 PM

May 2014
Hmm, that's pretty sad that Nagisa is being held back. And only episode 9, interested to see where this is going. Slightly worried, too.
Feb 12, 2015 4:40 AM

Jul 2014
Goddamnit, I read a spoiler somewhere in a review so I know what's going to happen T_T
Jun 29, 2015 10:34 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode. Only recently graduation myself last year I can definitely empathise with this episode.
Jul 2, 2015 4:11 PM
Feb 2015
This episode felt like the ending of pretty much all Slice of Life animes I saw ( Azumanga Daioh, Angel Beats!, Toradora! )
Sep 4, 2015 1:59 AM

Mar 2015
The pacing is too fast or rushed this episode but the plot went far ahead thanks to that.
Tomoya must focus on taking job because he needs to marry Nagisa-chan.
Sep 19, 2015 4:09 AM

Dec 2010
What an episode indeed.
Jan 1, 2016 3:21 AM

Apr 2013
touching episode, and love that picture
Feb 10, 2016 7:03 AM

Oct 2015
I surely feel afraid of graduating next year now.
touching episode as always ..
probably gonna get myself a Dango now .. haha
Mar 13, 2016 10:23 PM

Jan 2016
Good episode. Tomoya crying was unnecessary tho.

4/5
May 19, 2016 7:45 AM

Mar 2014
Nagisa & Friends .. in sickness and health .. in the very end ~ !! <3
Great Episode . Christmas Eve and Graduation ~ . ~After Story~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2016 3:33 AM

Jun 2016
Death flags, death flags everywhere. Or maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic to avoid being punched in the feels later..
Oct 25, 2016 5:10 PM

Oct 2012
And now it finally all begins... and ends. Let's wave to their school years, now many characters will be gone.

A little bit fast episode but still great. What bothers me though is they still haven't shown their date and kiss. Hopefully, they just pushed it to when she get better.
Dec 24, 2016 6:10 PM

Jun 2016
Happy Birthday Nagisa! ^_^
Mar 23, 2017 1:44 PM

May 2016
Damn the music sure makes you wanna cry but I hold it this time wanted a more emotional scene.
Nov 20, 2017 12:13 PM

Apr 2014
Felt nothing sadly.
Mar 27, 2018 8:11 AM
Jun 2017
Ohh now they are graduated from the high school, congrats to them. Tomoya sure is sad that Nagisa will be a repeater again due to health condition. What could be the next thing that will happen post sutudent days? Cant wait about it...
Apr 18, 2018 1:45 PM
Dec 2017
Very emotional episode. Maybe because you know things are about to change and the story is about to get deep. High school is over with, except for Nagisa. Speaking fo Nagisa, she keeps getting sick, it's not looking good for her going forward. Hope I'm wrong.

They could've ended the series with this episode. That's just how much I enjoy the episode.
Aug 18, 2018 11:39 AM
Apr 2018
Well, the story is finally progressing. Good episode, although not very touching imo.
Dec 15, 2018 6:10 PM

Dec 2018
MireKreme said:
slayer545 said:

OMG if it gets more intense I think the bucket of tears will happen. T_T SAD one!

men dont cry. only women cries.
but i have to admit clannad is intense (in someway).

I don't think it's that men DON'T, just that it should take a hell of a lot more than an anime or a dropped ice cream cone to do it.

for 10,000 years of human history, and even further back in evolutionary lineage, males were selected to be pillars of strength.

I don't care what people do, just acknowledging the point I think the poster was trying to make, albeit rigidly.

I'd be lying if I said this series didn't get me right in the feels now and then.
May 13, 2019 12:53 PM

Aug 2017
Well I was looking forward to seeing Okazaki graduate. It is sad that Nagisa is sick and probably has to repeat her senior year. Fortunately, Okazaki is such a wonderful boyfriend, I am sure they will get through this together. Also, the scenes about the girl and the robot are getting more interesting with each episode. I can't wait for the next one!
Jul 10, 2019 1:15 PM

Feb 2017
The little robot thing was cute when it was running back and forth collecting junk for the flying machine.
Jul 19, 2019 7:59 PM

Jul 2016
In my opinion this is when the show truly becomes great. It's like a whole different show after this, and it's one of the best ever made
Jul 26, 2019 9:50 AM
Apr 2016
Well, goddamn what a turn of events... She's sick, terribly, I hope she doesn't die or anything. Honestly, this is a lot of trouble...
Sep 26, 2019 9:33 AM

Feb 2019
This was the best episode in the entire series so far, so many feels. This is getting intense. I'm looking forward and feeling afraid at the same time, feels foreboding for some reason.
Mar 10, 2020 8:38 PM

Jul 2016
Why not starting the season from here? I mean, we could have avoided such a significant amount of horribly written arcs this way...

OK episode. I honestly wish they didn't use Nagisa's health condition only when the plot needs some drama to spice things up but whatever. Hopefully, the story can improve from here.
Sep 1, 2020 4:49 AM

May 2020
Very emotional episode. Last arc was touching as well. If this is going to continue like this, I think im in for a crazy emotional ride. I'm hoping that's the case, either way, it has been enjoyable so far.
Sep 12, 2020 6:50 AM
Oct 2019
Wow. i couldn't stop crying. Really one of the best anime episodes ever. So intense.
Oct 10, 2020 8:40 PM

Mar 2020
Okay, this episode wasn't that bad. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of how these characters are written, I admit that I've come to care for them in some capacity.

It seems that the narrative is beginning to shift itself towards Tomoya and Nagisa, which is surprising, to say the least. It kinda makes me question what this show has been trying to accomplish until now, since episodes 3 - 18 of the original series and the past 8 episodes can now be written off as filler. The amount of filler is as long as the entire first season.
Oct 10, 2020 11:51 PM

Jun 2020
Oh I wonder what is Okazaki wanted to be, and that was so sad they finally graduated and it seems like that they will never gonna meet up again and the same for Nagisa she will have to repeat again AHHGGG I wanna see a happy ending.
Nov 2, 2020 9:15 PM

Jan 2020
What a beautiful and emotional episode.. The best way to end off my day

Feb 13, 2021 11:37 AM

Apr 2017
After 8 episodes finally the characters I care about are back in focus.

Why does it matter that Nagisa has to repeat the year, she can always work in the bakery and it's perfect since whenever she gets sick or feels bad she can always go rest while her parents and Tomoya take care of the bakery.

The four of them can live together, Nagisa's parents would love for all of them to live together and work together like a family.
cunnysseur
Mar 8, 2021 10:41 PM
May 2019
I liked this episode but one thing that but let me explain what bugged me about it. I was in a similar situation in my senior year of high school. I was in a bad car wreck where I was hurt pretty badly to the point where I missed a good chunk of the end of the year including prom. But my school had a program for students that are unable to attend to school because of injury or sickness where a teacher would come to your house and help you do the work that you needed to do. I know it's fiction and all that but I feel like something could have been done here to help Nagisa in some way. I'm surprised Tomoya didn't try to tutor her himself. Despite this a it was a great episode of a little unrealistic.
Mar 27, 2021 7:06 AM

May 2020
Very wholesome (?) and emotional episode!
Jul 2, 2021 8:04 PM
Jan 2021
My heart skipped a beat and was in pain for a moment. I guess things were starting to happen.
Aug 28, 2021 11:29 PM

Apr 2020
Another great episode from Clannad (sob sob) goddamn it! A combination of nice and serious moments, but this episode meant more to me than I would ever thought. I'm still in the fence of what I will do in the future, and in a way, I'm in the same boat as Tomoya right now, couldn't have this episode come at the right time eh.

And that scene with Nagisa was once again a Clannad highlight. Even though Okazaki will leave her behind for one year, their bond is strong and firm and once Nagisa finishes school for her 3rd attempt, they would come out strong as ever. This episode also made me tear up a bit. Wtf 2 back to back episodes that have made me cry, this is impossible, but I guess this is what the fabled After Story can do to you. Well then, I'm ready for the next arcs!
Nov 9, 2021 12:43 AM

Aug 2018
Another very emotional and powerfull episode, very curious to see how many more of these we will see
Jan 18, 2022 11:06 AM

Jan 2016
Nagisa is sick. Botan might be one of my favorite characters on the show. I get Nagisa gets sick a ton but why? Is this where the actual After Story starts? They're graduated. Seems like the real point of focus will be Nagisa's illness maybe and how they grow up and cope with Nagisa being held back? Maybe we will see their child soon (I saw it in the anime thumbnail).

I can relate to not liking high school. I have not read any spoilers except for something on ep 18 but I am already getting huge hints as to what might happen.
Sulfur2Jan 18, 2022 12:22 PM
May 12, 2022 4:05 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just vibin'

Also, what the heck. Not even halfway through the season and I'm already being dealt some rather substantial blows to the gut. It certainly feels quite surreal to finally be experiencing what is hailed to be one of the most emotionally-moving works of anime of all time.

edit: reading some of the previous posts, it seems to be that a number of people don't exactly buy Tomoya's emotions, or even his relationship with Nagisa in general as a whole. And... I would have to somewhat agree. I still think Nagisa is a boring character living in the shadow of the top-tier waifu being Tomoyo, and arguably Kyou as well. She appears to be nothing more than a plot device for Tomoya, to be his girlfriend and then to be sick and then to make him sad. On top of that, maybe I missed it or perhaps it was just a very subtle gradual thing, but I also don't buy Tomoya's feelings for Nagisa in the first place. Like, where did they come from? I can easily see them as being close friends for sure, but this romantic love seemingly just came out of the blue. I'm no love expert, but it still feels quite random. Like Tomoya closed his eyes and picked out a random name from a hat. Oh it's Nagisa, guess she'll be my girlfriend! Yay.

Perhaps it's because it was adapted from a visual novel with a number of routes with a number of characters to flesh out. There's not going to be time to focus solely on Nagisa and Tomoya's relationship when there's several other characters to flesh out. Like the first prior 8 episodes before this were literally focusing on other characters. Not that that's a bad thing of course, I did enjoy those short stories and now am glad that I feel more for our side characters. But for the main focus of Clannad being Tomoyo and Nagisa, I still feel like they needed more time to truly get us invested in their love for each other. Perhaps it worked with most other people I'm sure; but for me, I still don't buy it if I stop to think about it. So I won't think too much- and just live in the moment, and soak up all the music and the emotion.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't moved my this episode- I truly was. I just think that just a couple minor tweaks to the execution of the script leading up to this moment could've made this scene hit a little harder. But perhaps I'm complaining about nothing; for it APPEARS that everything from now on is going to have a clear and direct focus for the most part.
BetaMaleUltraMay 12, 2022 4:21 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 24, 2022 8:54 PM

Jul 2022
Pff, the feeling that the episode gives is very heavy. Tears came out very easy this time
Dec 19, 2022 12:33 PM
Feb 2021
Might've actually cried if this was properly built up to in the previous episodes. Still, this was a very good episode, and I'm very glad that the story seems to be going in a much more focused direction.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1171 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jello - Mar 8, 2009

285 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 11, 2009

135 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

quentinlau - Feb 19, 2009

177 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

728 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 6:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.