Forum Settings
Forums

Why people don't use their own photo as profile picture in MAL?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Nov 16, 2020 11:16 AM

Sep 2020
Chiibi said:

THESE BE THE ONLY 'NOODS' YOU GET FROM ME :D

(my family and I refer to noodles as noods)

I know lol I half expect to receive these "noodz" anyway, yum yum!

PS. but real "noodz" are always welcome too namsayn? ;)
Why am I such a lecherous ossan orz

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Nov 16, 2020 11:35 AM

Dec 2017
Because it's an anime website, not a "dating" website. And i don't want to post pics of myself online either.
Objectivity? In my anime scoring? Of course not...
Nov 17, 2020 6:17 AM

Sep 2016
I used to.. but i started getting messages from creeps and nice guys. Never again. I like noodle anime girls more.
Nov 17, 2020 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
for many reasons it would be impossible to stay anonymous and say something stupid on here without being harshly judged so its smarter to use other pics.
Dec 2, 2020 11:02 PM

Mar 2019
It's a damn anime site.

If I put my IRL pic here and my firm finds out, I'd be fired ASAP
Dec 2, 2020 11:19 PM

Oct 2020
I see MAL as one of the few places where you can remain anonymous since social media took over the internet.
Dec 3, 2020 12:52 AM

May 2016
it just feels wrong on so many levels
Dec 3, 2020 2:24 AM

Aug 2018
Because of creepy pedophiles on MAL.
Dec 3, 2020 2:27 AM
Jun 2020
Honestly, if I ever put my face on MAL, just know I'll get a multitude of chicks raiding my comment section.
Dec 3, 2020 4:01 AM

Oct 2015
Hm.. Brown eyes & blond hair, large scar on the neck, bookworm, dislike for dogs.. I'm pretty sure my MAL picture suits that description of me ;)
Dec 3, 2020 4:12 AM

May 2020
Cause I don't go out in public and see someone disagreeing over my best girl opinions
Dec 3, 2020 5:07 PM

Oct 2020
why would they use their real identities on a random anime website where bunch a fellas gonna make gonna fun of ya looks.
Dec 3, 2020 11:50 PM

Jan 2018
just privacy reasons, not self conscious its just out of place to do on a site like MAL, I mean its not a social media lol
Dec 4, 2020 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
All of my profile pics were me since 2014.

Why don't people do that? Many reasons ig.

I just don't take "Muh anonymity" seriously in most of the cases because hardly anyone uses any other measure except not posting their face LOL.
"MAL anonymous" are somewhat akin to the American diet "give me 10 of your biggest burgers, all with triple cheese and extra mayo... oh and 1 XXXL diet coke".
And their reasoning is usually something like "what if my boss learns" / "what if my friends accidentally stumble and find out" and other equally lame shit.
I mean unless you're clearly portraying some satirical persona for fun, saying things you don't believe in and blatant lies to rile the crowds up or live in some unfortunate circumstances and your true opinions can realistically endanger you, then it's not actually viable.

The only good reasons I've heard were: I cba / I'm avoiding incel creeps / i am an incel creep / too ugly / self-conscious / I'm not invested enough in the place / I'm an aestheticshoe and use art everywhere to present myself / I'm paranoid.

Note: I'm not advocating for showing faces. Since 2014 I've only seen ~10 good looking people on mal. So ig it's for the best anyway.
removed-userDec 4, 2020 12:21 AM
Dec 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Jan 2011
Off-Topic: First time I see a "Removed-User" here, on MAL rsrsrsrs
A meta é não droppar nenhum anime/mangá
Dec 28, 2020 3:49 AM

Sep 2017
With the shit I post, I'm very sure if I post my face the counters will be worse
خ
Dec 28, 2020 12:35 PM

Oct 2018
I did until I got bombarded with dick pics.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Dec 28, 2020 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
In my case, it's not that I don't trust MAL, I've just seen way too many cases of people's pictures being used in scams from the most unsuspected places so that paired with my paranoia keeps me from really using a real photo on any online account anymore, even facebook. So it's not personal, I just don't feel safe putting my real face out there these days anywhere where anyone could just click and save it to their own device. Again though, paranoia plays a big part of my decision to do so.
Dec 28, 2020 1:36 PM

Oct 2020
Dec 29, 2020 1:47 PM

Jan 2020
I mean I don't feel comfortable showing off my identity to other strangers so having Mustache Teruhashi is much more appealing to me
Dec 29, 2020 1:49 PM
Sep 2020
024 said:
idk I'm pretty good looking but I just like buildings more

Sheesh, you're just built different man.
Dec 29, 2020 1:49 PM
Sep 2020
I don't have the confidence lol. Even if I looked really attrative, I still wouldn't.
Dec 29, 2020 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
I never used my own photos on any of my social media. It's just as disgusting as using my photo as wallpaper image
Dec 29, 2020 2:53 PM

Apr 2016
i don't do it because nobody else does it

if more people opted to use a picture of themselves on MAL, i would probably jump on the bandwagon tbh
Dec 29, 2020 7:37 PM

Apr 2020
Because Kazuma is the most handsome character of all time.
Dec 30, 2020 8:44 AM

Apr 2018
I don't wanna get recognized in the streets by any of you, that's why.
Dec 30, 2020 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
Nyarlathothep said:
Hm.. Brown eyes & blond hair, large scar on the neck, bookworm, dislike for dogs.. I'm pretty sure my MAL picture suits that description of me ;)

How’s you get the scar and why don’t you like dogs? My girl doesn’t like dogs either. That’s why we have cats. And also because neither of us would want to go out every day to take the dog for a walk. That’s some extroverted shit lol. Everywhere you go someone is going to talk to you because of your dog. I would have fun going for a run with the dog though. Well I guess this is a dog thread now. Maybe we should just use pics of our pets for a MAL profiles?

Senseki said:
i don't do it because nobody else does it

if more people opted to use a picture of themselves on MAL, i would probably jump on the bandwagon tbh

How shameless. I’ve never seen such a proud sheep.
Dec 30, 2020 1:04 PM

Aug 2018
Because I appreciate anonymity and also every over reason posted
_______I like rocks__
Dec 30, 2020 1:20 PM
Nov 2019
emraanash said:
- There very few profile I saw who use their real information and real picture as their identity. It feels like people don't trust MAL, Am I wrong?

says the guy with an anime profile picture
Dec 30, 2020 1:41 PM

Jul 2011
"Why people don't use their own photo as profile picture in MAL?"

Scuse me?
Dec 30, 2020 5:13 PM

May 2020
I guess I just feel insecure? Idk I'm not really sure

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 31, 2020 4:25 AM

Apr 2020
Because I like to display an anime character's face in the anime community more than my own photo, and I won't ever use my own photo
in here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2020 5:45 AM

Oct 2015
BasedAkko said:
Nyarlathothep said:

How’s you get the scar and why don’t you like dogs? My girl doesn’t like dogs either. That’s why we have cats. And also because neither of us would want to go out every day to take the dog for a walk. That’s some extroverted shit lol. Everywhere you go someone is going to talk to you because of your dog. I would have fun going for a run with the dog though. Well I guess this is a dog thread now. Maybe we should just use pics of our pets for a MAL profiles?

I had a very bad health when I was a child, due to a rare disease I had. My scars on the neck are due to ganglias surgery, probably a consequence to that disease.
I remember when I first met a good friend of mine, when she saw it she asked if someone had sliced my throat Lol

I don't like dogs because they ask for too much attention, are too noisy and they are too energetic they tire me. Also, I am always scared one may jump on me to lick my face. Since I find them to be dirty, I really don't want that. Yes, so true about talking to people when taking the dog out! My ex has a dog so I would take it out with him, and since he's very extroverted, there were awkward moments when we had to talk to other people and be friendly
I am much more of a cat person with mine being such a cuddly plushie :)
Dec 31, 2020 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Nyarlathothep said:
BasedAkko said:

I had a very bad health when I was a child, due to a rare disease I had. My scars on the neck are due to ganglias surgery, probably a consequence to that disease.
I remember when I first met a good friend of mine, when she saw it she asked if someone had sliced my throat Lol

I don't like dogs because they ask for too much attention, are too noisy and they are too energetic they tire me. Also, I am always scared one may jump on me to lick my face. Since I find them to be dirty, I really don't want that. Yes, so true about talking to people when taking the dog out! My ex has a dog so I would take it out with him, and since he's very extroverted, there were awkward moments when we had to talk to other people and be friendly

Sorry about the scar but at least you're still here and in better shape than back then.

kuik said:
"Why people don't use their own photo as profile picture in MAL?"

Scuse me?
lol nice one. I had my pic on display like that for a while and you wouldn't believe how many people gave me shit for it. Even when I pointed out that people use their real face all over social media. Why should this place be any different just because its a forum about anime? We can use our own pics if we want there is no rule against it. I don't understand why people in this community are so weird about staying anonymous forever. And the wonder why they can't find anybody to date when they refuse to ever put themselves out there.
Jan 1, 2021 2:46 AM

Aug 2020
i look like shit

unlike this handsome penguin to my left

mmmmm
Jan 1, 2021 3:12 AM

May 2013
This is an anime website, not Facebook. A better question would be "why would anyone use their own photo as a profile picture on MAL"?
Jan 1, 2021 3:23 AM

Jun 2020
Alcorin said:
This is an anime website, not Facebook. A better question would be "why would anyone use their own photo as a profile picture on MAL"?

more like this .....................................
Jan 1, 2021 5:24 AM

May 2020
The only platform where I have my own profile picture is Facebook. I don't even have my profile picture on my Instagram, but I have pictures that I might archive very soon. As for MAL, I don't personally feel the need to have it here, I deleted my location, my birth year. So yeah, not necessary for me.
Jan 1, 2021 7:23 AM

Oct 2015
BasedAkko said:
Nyarlathothep said:

Sorry about the scar but at least you're still here and in better shape than back then.

Thank you but the scar is fine: people generally don't notice with my hair and it only bothers me when I workout. And if it's seen, I get some badass points.
Regarding my health, my only worry is that I'm still not exactly up to date with all my vaccines: scary to have an anti-vax friend under such circumstances. I need to correct that sometime soon.
Jan 1, 2021 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
I show my face all time I don't understand this. Only weirdos have no pictures of them anywhere.
Jan 1, 2021 8:14 AM

Jul 2020
Because you instantly lose arguments

Jan 1, 2021 2:22 PM

Dec 2020
well as much as there are nice people here, there are also creepy ones haha. And MAL doesn’t really have a privacy option so anyone can just barge into your profile upon looking at a pic
Jan 1, 2021 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Probably because most people aren't proud enough of how they look to let a bunch of random strangers on the internet see them. Or maybe they don't want a hoard of psycho nerds trying to dox them.
Jan 1, 2021 2:32 PM
Nov 2014
old topic this, but i would use mine if i had a picture of me saved in my computer folders. (i haven't had one yet, that's why im using an anime picture instead)
Jan 1, 2021 7:14 PM

Apr 2016
I mean why would they? It's just an anime site full of random weebs and degenerates. What's the point of upholding an image on here and sharing your personal things? It's not like your family is on here or anything. This applies to most sites in general.
Jan 2, 2021 1:28 AM

Sep 2020
Some people don't have the confidence to show their face to strangers. Also, this is a website for anime, why would you even post a photo of yourself?
Aug 13, 2021 4:45 AM

Aug 2020
This website won't be like an Anime community then
Aug 13, 2021 5:04 AM

Aug 2020
Since this is an anime site it does make sense that people have anime pictures instead of themselves

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Aug 15, 2021 6:24 PM

Oct 2020
I'm not a normie and also I don't want people to associate my face with cringy comments I say. I also don't want random people telling me, "Hey I saw you on MyAnimeList"

Aug 15, 2021 6:32 PM
Sep 2019
Why not have best of both worlds?
I have my forum avatar as one thing and my pfp as another.

Ultimately, to each their own...some just don't feel comfortable showing themselves or feel self-conscious b/c it is not common for this site. I say, screw what other people think, just do what you want to do as long as it don't break rules.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Greta Thunberg's invisible plight? - Public figures' compromised freedom

Hydre_Ito - Yesterday

6 by Dawizz »»
24 minutes ago

» Cleaning your room hurts the economy

vasipi4946 - May 25

33 by Dawizz »»
26 minutes ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money??

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

28 by Dawizz »»
31 minutes ago

» Why does the World need Switzerland?

vasipi4946 - Aug 20, 2022

33 by YungStairwell »»
2 hours ago

» Sustainable cities: the future or a naive dream?

effy_ - May 18

44 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.