Forum Settings
Forums

Greta Thunberg's invisible plight? - Public figures' compromised freedom

New
May 26, 5:03 PM

Jun 2020
Any public figure obviously has to build a consistent persona if they desire to be successful in what they do; be it activists, influencers, content creators and so on. Sometimes, part of me feels kinda sorry for famous public figures or content creators with a big following because I think of how their reduced freedom when it comes to developing as a person/personal growth and just generally speaking changing, especially when it comes to their ideology or certain opinions they may have, because their "business", if you will (in some cases) is dependant on their fanbase and audience, and in order to be deemed genuine & "honest" they must stay consistent as best as they can. Even if they may not feel trapped, they may have just developed a deep rooted comfort-zone where they are stagnant because they feel validated in their current state.

For some reason Greta Thunberg came to mind when I was thinking of this once, I do believe in climate change obv, but sometimes it feels like she's stuck portraying this stagnant persona who has no room for growth or is not allowed to change her opinions in the slightest, especially because she started her activism from a really young age, she has to shoulder this huge responsibility and there are far too many people she may be too scared to "let down", it just feels like she doesnt have the freedom to properly explore this topic or other points of view on the matter, like there is no room for her to speak of nuances. Perhaps some people in this kind of position may feel the need to live "a double life" or be inauthentic in the public eye.

These are just some thoughts, take them with a grain of salt, I just used her as a speculative example for my point, I havent done any in-depth research/analysis on her
Hydre_ItoMay 27, 3:35 PM
May 26, 5:10 PM

Mar 2008
In a way they might be limited but at the same time they could just do a good job of explaining why their views on some things changed.
May 27, 12:51 AM

Dec 2015
Content creators ain't that limited [speaking from Polish pov, not other countries], by myself I found them in normal public transportations, malls, grocery stores etc. Many othes found in the same way rappers or actors, only politicians here are avoiding the public, I guess I don't need to tell why, although not so long ago Mentzen was doing an event in which random people joined him in a bar for couple of beers to discuss politics, Korwin [even pewdiepie made a video about him, fun fact - I've met in one of sports camps Korwin's grandson who's of my similar age] often was going to Pyrkon convention so maybe even politicians ain't limiting their freedom.

You can find many content creators even in sport clubs, gyms etc. As often some of them do some trainings, I think there is one club in Poznań where usually most of those influencers go [I think Isamu and others from around were/are still training in that club], my buddy who's my barber, her studio used to have a famous influencer client,

It ain't the way as people think that such poeple go around with bodyguards and have paid people to do the errands for them 24/7 x)
ZettaikenMay 27, 12:54 AM
May 27, 1:34 AM

Feb 2024
The more loud freak someone are, the more attention by other loud freaks they get. I think it's totally justified as it's their personal choice to be overexposed.

On the other hand, I used to meet a few ministers and even a prime minister simply riding by bike to their jobs, and that caused no hype at all, because those people were not that loud, even being extremely public personas.

I mean even being a natural "human magnet", you can still choose your audience and leverage the quality of communication.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 27, 2:54 AM

Sep 2016
There are also public figures who don't show their faces, such as Banksy and most VTubers.

This is the way to go if you wanna get popular without people recognizing you in public.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 27, 8:37 AM
Aug 2018
This is why I like public figures who openly discuss their evolving views and experiences...

Being authentic while still growing, and not just catering mindlessly to their audience, is always a good thing.
May 27, 7:36 PM
Jul 2021
Who gives a ffuk about what this Swedish troll as to say!

She's fake asf, a grifter, a ignorant liar. She's over 18 now, no one wants to ear what a Karen is saying.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 27, 9:19 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I think that they know this though, unless you were put into the spotlight by happenstance. In her case, I believe she has made great effort to gather a following who share her views. The challenge comes if you are a part of a group which expects you to accept something else which is not really related to it.

More topics from this board

» How to cope with being single forever?

CrimsonMidnight - 3 hours ago

19 by SimplyBrazen »»
7 minutes ago

» UEFA Euro 2024 - General Discussion

dazedcowcow62 - Jun 18

24 by Daconator »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you go to anime conventions?

spaceslut - Mar 11, 2022

42 by Renevoir »»
35 minutes ago

» How did you invent your username?

DesuMaiden - Jun 18

47 by CocoaGalaxy »»
48 minutes ago

» Want Fresh Air, Exercise, Excitement, and a chance to meet new people while making a difference?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

14 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.