Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2017 11:32 PM

Sep 2014
JesusAteu said:
Can someone explain to me how Weaver Velvet is in the universe* of that Fate?
There was an type of minor holy grail war that he participated?
If was, why those wars are less important than that war?
Is there an logic of minor and greater grail envolved in that minor wars?

Please answer whitout spoilers

All this is explained in the parts of the LN/Manga that we've covered and synopsis so this shouldn't count as spoilers:

1) Waver is here because this universe diverges from the FZ one at the 3rd HGW. Waver is born as always and things end up the same. Rin, Shirou, e.t.c probably also exist but simply aren't shown because they have no relevance to this plot.
2) Yes, there were several HGWs which tried to emulate the Fuyuki one but failed. This was because they lacked one of the grails(I think it was the Greater Grail, but I forget)
3) Those wars were less important because they didn't actually use Fuyuki's grail and because they only managed to summon 5 servants at best. To put in perspective, Fuyuki's grail can summon 15 at the least.
4) Yes, there is certainly a logic. The greater grail is key here, as suggested in it's name 'greater'. Without it, one can't achieve a HGW's true purpose, to reach the root or to grant their wish. However, without it one can still gather a lot of prana(in the documented event of this prana-gathering, it ended in an explosion, so still not a good idea).
The sun is a deadly laser
Jul 2, 2017 11:40 PM

Oct 2013
As expected, EGOIST's song was great. Mordred with Clarent seemed pretty sick and seems like we'll get to see Jeanne D'arc too. Haha and shout out to my homie Waver Velvet.
Jul 2, 2017 11:43 PM

Sep 2014
WillKamio said:

- Is there a factor of moral and philosophical issues that for me, is the great focus of Fate Series? Where there is no Manichaeism and we can see several sides in a way, for example in Unlimited, we have several masters with their own ideals, some can not be said to be evil, of course there are the evil ones like the Shinji, but this in humanity It is obvious, there will always be bad, naive, honorable people, I like Fate Series because it really explores all these types, but without putting any as a true protagonist, however much the Shiro is 'elected' as one, I see the ideas Of Souichirou and Kirei as acceptable also, however much the viewer tends to stand alongside the Shiro, because compared to the current society, Shiro's standards of 'justice' and morals fit with that of the majority, but what I wonder if there will be that same pattern in Apocrypha, where the characters are not put as 'good or bad', at least I noticed in that first episode.

Yes, not on the scale of FSN but it's certainly a some-what-sort-of theme.

Secondly, it seems you've misunderstood Shirou, surprise surprise. Shirou's standards of justice have always been weird as fuck. You just need to see the way Rin reacts to him to understand that his ideas definitely don't fit with society's norms. Thirdly, viewers aren't really meant to stand by Shirou. Nasu-written MCs are still monsters which the viewers don't really want to mingle with. If this were irl, Shirou would probably be too busy in his insane asylum for the readers to stay by him.

- The other issue is that there will be no favoritism on the part of the servants by 'popularity' between them with the public, the war of the holy grail always happened in Fate Series with each one being able to die at any moment (with the exception of Saber but because she Is SWOT)

Well you can tell from the beginning who's going to die first, however that isn't due to favouritism.

- The third is:
Why the crazy man wears night sunglasses ???

Good habits die hard?
Jul 3, 2017 12:26 AM

Jul 2016
Animation and sounds we're satisfyingly good, though some scenes were omitted and also shortened dialogues, its pretty decent since it covered alomost 1/4 of the vol1 of LN. Just hoping they fix the pacing. So far faithful to the LN.

I'm really glad to see the servants and masters, especially Asto... I mean black rider and Moe-dred. On my way to finish Vol2.
cronoSpirAJul 3, 2017 12:55 AM
Jul 3, 2017 12:39 AM
Mar 2015
Is this independent or you need to watch the other fate series before it?
Jul 3, 2017 12:46 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Right from the get-go, the series starts from a crisis leading up to a Great War which is great. Fantastic animation and music too. Good to see a wide range of characters being introduced within the first episode along with some brief explanations. The fighting scenes from the beginning of the episode was lit and I hope this will continue throughout the series. Also great to hear that this will be a 2 cour-season, since many people were saying that they are anticipating 12-13 episodes.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2017 12:50 AM

Dec 2015
"Are you my master" hah, of course they had to include that line. Very impressive opening minutes and a good explanation on what's going on. I was taken a bit aback by the brutality, I completely forgot this is how Fate is.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 3, 2017 1:02 AM

Dec 2015
We got the kickass flash-forward prologue, Waver & Flat interaction, small details as the dragon cigarettes, some gore, the final summonings and an epic soundtrack. This is a great start, A-1 please keep it up!
Jul 3, 2017 1:04 AM

Jul 2014
This was interesting enough as an opening episode, not least because of the interesting twist on the conventional Grail War, but there are two issues I currently have: the fight at the start looked awesome, but it was practically impossible to actually follow what was going on (it was pretty much just loads of noise for the most part, a lot like some action movies in fact) and the exposition dumps were ridiculously lazy and tedious.

EGOIST's song at the end sounds pretty cool though.
Jul 3, 2017 1:04 AM

May 2014
Mordred! Mordred! Mordred! Mordred!
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Are you my master?"
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 3, 2017 1:25 AM

Jun 2015
I've kept myself about the plot of Apocrypha for a long time, both because of laziness and because of some people's bad reactions to the novels, so I don't really know much. The one thing I do know, however, is that Mordred is best girl. I'll be rooting for Sisigou and Mordred this whole grail war.

Waver needs to eat. That boniness is unhealthy.

Pretty standard exposition episode. It is what it is.

Jul 3, 2017 1:36 AM
Jul 2014
Good start. The animation is a massive change from Ufotable and very good but I think they don't pull off the super rapid combat as well (the first Lancer vs Archer fight from the UBW series to compare).
Jul 3, 2017 2:19 AM
Jan 2016
mira-pyon said:
1) Waver is here because this universe diverges from the FZ one at the 3rd HGW. Waver is born as always and things end up the same. Rin, Shirou, e.t.c probably also exist but simply aren't shown because they have no relevance to this plot.

That aside, does anyone think Sisigou's name is a bit of a play on the Carnival Phantasm race episode?

https://youtu.be/TV0uM4T5zc8?t=43

Saber got the "Lion-gou", Sisigou got Saber.

Both the Lion-gou and Sisigou require money before they'll move.
MysteriousBananaJul 3, 2017 3:04 AM
Jul 3, 2017 3:17 AM

Apr 2017
>Wow people truly are complaining about the animation since A1 pictures was the one behind of it

>Well others dropped the series already since it's just first eps

And why it's not Ufotable?

>So wait Heaven's Feel then.

But still I'd read about the few chapters of this series

and looks promising to me

-HippySnob-Jul 3, 2017 3:22 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 3, 2017 3:53 AM

Jan 2013
YAAAAAS QUEEN LETS GOOOOOO !!!!!!

Jul 3, 2017 4:03 AM

Feb 2013
Cool start.
They are going to fight in my country, Romania!
I'm expecting Vlad Tepes to appear lol.
Jul 3, 2017 4:06 AM

Jan 2016
GUYS, is the blond retard the same as the one in Strange fake?
IS THIS.. is this.. Fate/ Strange Fake announcement incoming.

That aside, this episode is nicely done I got goosebump at the summoning scene.
Jul 3, 2017 4:47 AM
Mar 2017
can't wait for the battle ! I hope there is a Mordred vs Jean d arc !
Jul 3, 2017 5:18 AM

Sep 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
mira-pyon said:

Please, tell me something I've already established. I don't get why you had to make such a roundabout post concerning a matter which needs no such discussion.
mira-pyonJul 3, 2017 9:52 AM
Jul 3, 2017 5:21 AM

Mar 2013
Such a good start for a probably for one of the most anticipated Anime in this season. Especially that First battle scene looks Amazing...

Animation is amazing (Thought It's made by ufotable, but I'm wrong. ufotable did Touken Ranbu for this season so that's pretty much not possible that this series get animated by them), music is pretty well done (especially the OP by EGOIST). The Black-sides servants Intro looks well done, Mordred is pretty much a tomboy or cooler version of Saber in her intro imo and Jeanne Intro looks interesting. Can't wait to see more.

RianMK said:
Wut? Can't be the only one who noticed this:

lol, I pretty much thinking the same the second I saw that.
Rio-Jul 3, 2017 5:26 AM
Jul 3, 2017 5:25 AM

Jul 2007

Nice untagged spoilers
Jul 3, 2017 5:42 AM

Oct 2015
As someone that knows nothing about the Fate series, this was interesting enough. I felt like there was so much info to take in this episode. Am I expected to know some background about the series before going into this? I'm hoping they will explain the relevant lore in the next episodes.
Jul 3, 2017 5:45 AM

Feb 2014
A pretty solid start to Fate Apocrypha.

The opening battle was impressive. Good animation from A-1 Pictures and also some nice OST to back the fight up.

As it is Fate, I did expect a lot of infodumping in its first episode and Apocrypha certainly lived up that expectation of mine. All in all, it was intriguing and interesting as to how this grail war will differ quite a lot from the ones from Fate Stay/Night.

The summoning scene was also pretty good to watch. Mondred looked badass with her armour design and with her grinning face. =)
Jul 3, 2017 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
Skyrocketing said:
As someone that knows nothing about the Fate series, this was interesting enough. I felt like there was so much info to take in this episode. Am I expected to know some background about the series before going into this? I'm hoping they will explain the relevant lore in the next episodes.

I'd recommend to be familiar at least with the main concept of this franchise: the Holy Grail War and its mechanics.
Jul 3, 2017 6:00 AM

Oct 2015
Xarvon said:
Skyrocketing said:

I'd recommend to be familiar at least with the main concept of this franchise: the Holy Grail War and its mechanics.

Could you recommend something to read brief background info? I want to be wary not to spoil anything.
Jul 3, 2017 6:15 AM

Dec 2013
Decent start but 14 servants? I'm not sure how I feel about such a large cast.
Jul 3, 2017 6:35 AM

Jun 2016
the animation is quite impressive... good music in the end... hope for the future that this fate series is good as the other fate series...
Jul 3, 2017 6:39 AM

Jun 2016
Rio- said:
Such a good start for a probably for one of the most anticipated Anime in this season. Especially that First battle scene looks Amazing...

Animation is amazing (Thought It's made by ufotable, but I'm wrong. ufotable did Touken Ranbu for this season so that's pretty much not possible that this series get animated by them), music is pretty well done (especially the OP by EGOIST). The Black-sides servants Intro looks well done, Mordred is pretty much a tomboy or cooler version of Saber in her intro imo and Jeanne Intro looks interesting. Can't wait to see more.

RianMK said:
Wut? Can't be the only one who noticed this:

lol, I pretty much thinking the same the second I saw that.

WOW... the golem looks like the star wars droid... almost a copy of it but its in anime... sry bad english...
Jul 3, 2017 6:41 AM
Oct 2016
I like the first episode. Really getting the Fate/Zero vibe from the start rather than Fate/Stay Night. It's too early to judge but hope I won't be disappointed
Jul 3, 2017 6:47 AM

Jul 2007
Skyrocketing said:

not really. The first episode explained the basics pretty well for this story.
Magic is real and magic community is governed by Magic Association that enforces law and order in secrecy. The main goal of any magus is to reach the Root of everything for which various research projects are started in order to attain it.
Since the grail can grant you any wish that would be one of methods but alas the grail war ended 60 years ago due to grail having been stolen by the dude who now decided to enact his plans to gain its power for himself. While in normal war there are seven masters and seven servants(of seven separate classes representing that aspect of a hero summoned into it) fighting each other till one gains the wish, int his case a safety system built into grail to prevent all seven working together activated summoning 14 servants instead. Thus in this war 7 x 7 servants summoned via use of catalysts tied to a famous historical person, the winning side gets to fight each other till one remaining one gets to use the grail to fulfill his own wishes.

From the opener fight we know that each heroic spirit has a noble phantasm - a special attack or skill tied to their legend.

Nothing else is needed to be known tbh.
AhenshihaelJul 3, 2017 6:51 AM
Jul 3, 2017 7:07 AM

Jul 2013
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
SabrinaK said:

The exact words from your comment were: “Why is this Fate when it has no actual connection to Stay Night or Zero?”

^ implying that you think something can only be Fate if it’s connected to the story of Stay Night or Zero.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Flaming was being sarcastic when he said that you must not have watched the other Fate anime.. We know that you’ve seen F/SN and F/Z; the point is that since you have seen them, you should be aware of why something with a HGW and servants/masters is classified as Fate, regardless of its storyline.

If Disney released a spinoff film with a new Jedi character in an alternate timeline, is it not obvious that it would still be under the name of Star Wars since it incorporates a concept unique to that franchise? Seems like plain old “common sense”.

Jesus Christ, you people love to nitpick.
#2 ​Getting off-topic,​ usually by nitpicking one thing that’s said by the other, or bring up something else entirely, in order to criticize the person, to create more conflict within the discussion.
I've apologized for screwing up my original comment, and have re-phrased to say that Apocrypha just feels to alien to me.
What else do you want me to say? I admitted I made a mistake, something nobody on the internet ever does.

It is the freakin first episode.
It IS supposed to be alien from F/Z & F/SN as ALL the freakin characters are different (only waver is there as support) and this is a different timeline.

You're supposed to get to like the characters gradually as it goes on JUST like F/SN & F/Z.
Remember how shitty shirou was in the beginning of fate route?
I mean, the MC for this anime is not even introduced yet

Though the LN for Fate Apocrypha is kinda meh, only its fights were good.

But if you still wanna drop it, then just drop it
Jul 3, 2017 7:19 AM

Apr 2015
Just noticed that the long black hair teacher is Waver well then he changed a lot.
Jul 3, 2017 7:33 AM

Aug 2013
A-1 doing a good animation?!
wtf, is this real life?

anyway, I jump to this series blindly without knowing anything aside F/SN and F/Z..
great ep
Jul 3, 2017 7:45 AM

Jul 2015
Mmmmhhhhhhmmmmmm gotta love that Fate Stay Unlimited Budget Works Series. Off to a strong start and I'm interested to see how this all plays out.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 3, 2017 7:48 AM

Dec 2013
Loving the start to this series.
After reading the manga for so long, have been looking forward to this ever since the announcement.
A-1 seems to have done a decent job for the first episode, though we'll have to see how the subsequent episodes stack up before further commenting on that.

Mordred's entrance was wonderful, though Jeanne's appearance after the ED was just as good.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 3, 2017 8:40 AM

Apr 2016
this is the first time i watch an anime from Fate.....so i don't really understand what's going on...Probably i'm missing important details from other anime in this series.......Anyway i like it so far...
BTW glad to see they mentioned Romania :D is extremely rare :))

Jul 3, 2017 8:41 AM

Sep 2014
Fai said:

Nice untagged spoilers

Also, if you're going to call people out on spoilers, please do that to the ones who casually reveal servant names.
mira-pyonJul 3, 2017 9:54 AM
Jul 3, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
The pilot episode is one of the best we've had so far this year. The amount of dialogue was perfectly proportional to the exposition: it was concise and effective. 5/5.
Jul 3, 2017 9:02 AM
Nov 2016
Code_Lies said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

Jesus Christ, you people love to nitpick.
#2 ​Getting off-topic,​ usually by nitpicking one thing that’s said by the other, or bring up something else entirely, in order to criticize the person, to create more conflict within the discussion.
I've apologized for screwing up my original comment, and have re-phrased to say that Apocrypha just feels to alien to me.
What else do you want me to say? I admitted I made a mistake, something nobody on the internet ever does.

It is the freakin first episode.
It IS supposed to be alien from F/Z & F/SN as ALL the freakin characters are different (only waver is there as support) and this is a different timeline.

You're supposed to get to like the characters gradually as it goes on JUST like F/SN & F/Z.
Remember how shitty shirou was in the beginning of fate route?
I mean, the MC for this anime is not even introduced yet

Though the LN for Fate Apocrypha is kinda meh, only its fights were good.

But if you still wanna drop it, then just drop it

Is anyone actually reading my posts, or are they just trying to look for excuses to complain?
I found the characters in Stay Night and Zero interesting from the START, just like every one of my single favorite anime.
I've already addressed the, "alien" part, but you are either not reading my posts, or not paying attention.
#1 ​Oversimplifying/exaggerating​ due to lack of paying attention, and/or to be a strawman
Jul 3, 2017 9:13 AM

Jul 2007

NOt everybody pays attention to niche interest things like different VAs and stuff.

Jul 3, 2017 9:54 AM

Sep 2014
Fai said:

NOt everybody pays attention to niche interest things like different VAs and stuff.

Well you have a point. I guess people are dumber than I think. There is no loss taking out the spoiler anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moreover,

Jul 3, 2017 10:25 AM

Mar 2009
I thought this was quite boring, to be honest.
Mordred, and the lovely Miyuki Sawashiro, piqued my interest at least.

Nice to see Waver again.
Jul 3, 2017 10:54 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm felt decent, but was boring. Mainly coz with the entire set of new characters, I wasn't invested in the anime. Ah seeing this makes me remember the new HF trailer and I can't contain my excitement haha.
Since it is parallel world line, F/0 characters are probably living a happy life somewhere out there :) 

Waver looked like someone sucked all the blood out of him lmao. He should look more dignified.
Also, good to see Junichi Suwabe and Miyuki Sawashiro as the cast :)
FinalFlash18Jul 3, 2017 10:59 AM
Jul 3, 2017 11:01 AM

Sep 2015
Darnic is quite an intriguing character
RHS100Jul 4, 2017 6:02 PM
Anime/MangaFan Mahwa fan
Jul 3, 2017 11:11 AM

Jan 2014
G_Spark233 said:

it's 25 episodes sparks, I'm sure they will all get their time to shine
Jul 3, 2017 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
zzz 20 minutes of info dump
also expecting the viewer to be impressed by overly dramatic character reveals is pretty w/e too
Jul 3, 2017 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
G_Spark233 said:

Do not forget +1 ...
Jul 3, 2017 1:35 PM
Apr 2015
I always find it funny why they called this "the grand holy grail war" despite being exactly the same man made one (made by Einzbergs and company) from F/SN.

Jul 3, 2017 2:10 PM

Jun 2013
good action in the intro
Jul 3, 2017 2:32 PM

Sep 2016
yep this was bad as expected lol
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.