Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 29, 2015 9:11 AM

Jul 2014
Vudis said:
royaldocks said:
I have never read the LN but how many fucking Spells does Papa Bones have ?
If I remember correct he was talking about it being

What game has that many lol
Jul 29, 2015 9:19 AM

Jan 2013
Hopefully without any spoiler...

It's not easy to be an Evil Overlord even if you are technically the most powerful being in the setting.

Most Evil Overlords (check Sauron from Lord of the Rings) are incredibly incompetent despite being OP in terms of sheer power (you know how that ended in LotR)

This show is basically about the guy that become an Evil Overlord in generic fantasy world and is competent about his new job instead of doing one tragic mistake after another. Also he likes his job.

You won't see anything like this for a while and definitely not from this perspective.

Log Horizon is about the gamer's dream fulfilment and dealing with a results.

Cheater Art Online is a tragic mistake written by someone who never played a game in his life.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 29, 2015 10:07 AM

Jul 2014
I don't get why people call the MC a villian. For the 4 and a half volumes I've read, he hasn't done much evil acts to be called a villian.
"Hi!"
Jul 29, 2015 10:36 AM
Oct 2011
YEEART said:
I don't get why people call the MC a villian. For the 4 and a half volumes I've read, he hasn't done much evil acts to be called a villian.
Well I don't think "Villian" is the right word here . I feel he's more of a neutral/evil and wont go out of his way to slaughter.....Yeea never mind

But yea, if it concerns Nazarick he wont show mercy. But saying you don't mess with him and he wont do anything to you would be a lie too.
Jul 29, 2015 11:38 AM
Aug 2011
barmar said:
YEEART said:
Well I don't think "Villian" is the right word here . I feel he's more of a neutral/evil and wont go out of his way to slaughter.....Yeea never mind

But yea, if it concerns Nazarick he wont show mercy. But saying you don't mess with him and he wont do anything to you would be a lie too.

Ainz is not a be evil for evil sake kind of guy but he certainly puts Nazarick above anything else. He does show some compassion every now and then such as deciding to save the village and his respect for Gazef. In those cases, he'll often find a way to benefit his plans while doing so.
Jul 29, 2015 12:03 PM

Sep 2013
Aizn isn't a normal lich, that's why he isn't fully evil.
He still has his human psyche and all his npc's are programmed so they're not truly evil either.
The most evil thing was done by humans to a girl in vol 5.
Jul 29, 2015 12:15 PM

Jun 2010
wow the fight scenes were just as dope as in the opening.
Glad to see the opening wasn't an action packed trap like all the other shitty low budget shounen anime out there.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jul 29, 2015 12:49 PM

Sep 2011
It's quite hilarious people are whining about the main character being OP. Even if we waste multiple episodes on him training, he still is going to be OP by the last episode. I guess people never get tired of generic weak characters.
Jul 29, 2015 2:22 PM

Dec 2011
Make Ains Ooal Gown an eternal legend! And now the conquest begins. >.<
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2015 2:33 PM

Apr 2007
Are there seriously still people that believe this is a game? Do people not read or have no sense of critical thinking (hell, this doesn't even require critical thinking)? I mean, the last 3 episodes practically spelled out that this isn't Yggdrasil anymore. Does the anime have to print in bold size 64 font "This is no longer a game, the MC was transported to a different world" for some people to get that fact.
Jul 29, 2015 2:43 PM

May 2013
Momonga/Ains so OP in this episode. Satoshi Hino, how could you pull a much more deeper voice? I suddenly remembered SnS S3

Albedo's face tho, haha. And glad to know that he still have a plan to know if there are more players than him that are from Yggdrasil.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 29, 2015 3:47 PM

Jul 2009
Tylaen said:
Darklight0303 said:

An overlord is overpowered by definition. >_> Get with the program

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.
1. A lord having power or supremacy over other lords.
2. One in a position of supremacy or domination over others.

Wrong! Being an Overlord does not imply being unchallenged.

I guess this will be one very mediocre anime If all I can look forward to Is curbstomps.

Um actually that definition kinda does support being unchallenged. If you reign supreme over a bunch of other leaders you're the best and therefore unchallenged. But anyway we're only in the first few episodes...how can you complain that he's unchallenged? A worthy opponent just hasn't come (or challenged him) as of yet.
Jul 29, 2015 3:49 PM

Apr 2015
Inugirlz said:
Tylaen said:

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.
1. A lord having power or supremacy over other lords.
2. One in a position of supremacy or domination over others.

Wrong! Being an Overlord does not imply being unchallenged.

I guess this will be one very mediocre anime If all I can look forward to Is curbstomps.

Um actually that definition kinda does support being unchallenged. If you reign supreme over a bunch of other leaders you're the best and therefore unchallenged.

It supports reigning over others, it does not support reigning over everyone.
Jul 29, 2015 3:53 PM

Jul 2009
Tylaen said:
Inugirlz said:

Um actually that definition kinda does support being unchallenged. If you reign supreme over a bunch of other leaders you're the best and therefore unchallenged.

Surely you must understand that you're missing the point and nitpicking. 'Everyone'? What does 'everyone' even mean? And as far as we've seen he doesn't reign over 'EVERYONE' because we haven't seen 'everyone'. 'Everyone' has not challenged him.

And it's not just reigning over others, it's reigning over other leaders. And you'd assume that leaders are the strongest of their respective groups. Hence,

an overlord is to leaders as an empire is is to a kingdom. If you get what I mean.

My point being that someone in such a position SHOULD be powerful and shouldn't really even be considered overpowered. He has that much power because of his position and the work he put into getting there.
Jul 29, 2015 3:55 PM

Apr 2015
Inugirlz said:
Tylaen said:

An overlord is to leaders as an empire is is to a kingdom. If you get what I mean.

An empire Is only one part of a world.

Inugirlz said:
My point being that someone in such a position SHOULD be powerful and shouldn't really even be considered overpowered. He has that much power because of his position and the work he put into getting there.

If he Is the strongest In the world and no one except his own minions can challenge him even slightly, I can't find a more apt word for it than "Overpowered", irregardless of if he has earned it.

TylaenJul 29, 2015 4:00 PM
Jul 29, 2015 3:58 PM

Jul 2009
Tylaen said:

Again you're missing the point. The point is that an overlord is more powerful than the majority of people. As far as I know empire is the term used for the biggest dominion (ruled by one person/group) unless we have supreme world domination--which has never happened in our world's history.

But regardless Ains hasn't even proven that he can rule an entire world...so where did this come from.
Jul 29, 2015 4:04 PM

Apr 2015
Inugirlz said:
Tylaen said:

But regardless Ains hasn't even proven that he can rule an entire world...so where did this come from.

With the rumours going about that he will be

I am aware that being an "Overlord" provides you with a power, either through armies, magic or other mean's.
TylaenJul 29, 2015 4:08 PM
Jul 29, 2015 4:12 PM

Jul 2009
Tylaen said:

If he Is the strongest In the world and no one except his own minions can challenge him even slightly, I can't find a more apt word for it than "Overpowered", irregardless of if he has earned it.

I see well in that case it would seem that we both have a misunderstanding going on. Generally in forums/commentary when we call a character overpowered we're saying that they have TOO much power that is ridiculous in comparison to the other characters. As if it was something unearned or unrealistic that only exists because the story wants them to be completely badass.

But if we're going with the strict definition of overpowered, which is: to defeat or overcome with superior strength; to be too intense for; overwhelm. Well then that could happen in any situation where someone of a lower level fights someone on a higher level. A toddler vs. a bear. Well damn that bear is overpowered. Or someone at level 1 in a game fights a monster that's level 30. Damn that monster is overpowered. Strictly speaking, yes. But more logically...what were u doing fighting a bear/level 30 monster when you're weak.

That's exactly what happened in the show. Ains is like level 100 or whatever the max level is, and the people he faced were all lower levels. So yes he was overpowered using the strict definition but thinking on the connotation the word "overpowered" means to people in the forums it's not really accurate. When we think of overpowered we think of god-mode.

But i see you're point. if his minions are supposed to be of a similar level to him and yet none of them can touch him, unless there is a legitimate reason (like he knows all their weakness ahead of time and they know none of his) or whatever then yes...he's overpowered... in every sense.
InugirlzJul 29, 2015 4:18 PM
Jul 29, 2015 4:18 PM

Apr 2015
Inugirlz said:
I see well in that case it would seem that we both have a misunderstanding going on. So yes he was overpowered using the strict definition but thinking on the connotation the word "overpowered" means to people in the forums it's not really accurate. When we think of overpowered we think of god-mode.

I stick really close to my dictionary and this MAL culture word use Is new to me, so eh. Makes sense now, I guess.

Thanks.
Jul 29, 2015 4:36 PM

Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE LIGHT NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Mod Note: Spoilers cleaned from final page. Please do not spoil anime only watchers with information from later volumes of the LN.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 29, 2015 6:28 PM

Oct 2011
Haii Ains Oaal Gown
Jul 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Sep 2013
Archangel Flame concept art
Jul 30, 2015 1:16 AM

Mar 2014
Episode continues to be good. I don't really mind too much that our MC is OP honestly, but that may just be me. I am little upset that this anime is only 13 episodes though, considering Madhouse isn't exactly known for making second seasons :(
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 30, 2015 1:18 AM

Apr 2008
ichii_1 said:

It's funny but rather than FLame I think of Archangel Frame. Sounds much fitting for the mecha type creature XD
Jul 30, 2015 2:47 AM

Jun 2008
ichii_1 said:

I prefer this art.
Jul 30, 2015 4:47 AM

Apr 2014
“You lower lifeforms! T-, to dare to do this kind of thing to our most beloved ruler Ainz-sama! To make my favorite and most loved person feel pain, is to not know your own abilities! I absolutely will not forgive you, I will let you taste the most amount of pain you have ever felt until you go mad! Using acid to corrode your four limbs, then cut off your genitals, make them into mincemeat and make you eat them! After that use healing spells to cure you! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Damn! Damn damn damn damn, my heart is about to explode!”
The black armor was moving its hands nonstop.
It felt as if the world was distorting with this place as the epicentre, a dizzying sinister aura blew towards them like a storm. Something was squirming under the black full body armor, as if a huge body was about to burst out. Nigan was aware of this, but he could only stand there dumbly, watching the monster that would devour the world break out of its cocoon. There was only one person who can stop Albedo in this world now. Ainz raised his hand and said softly:

Damn I wish they included all of these xD
You don't mess with a Yandere's love one.

Jul 30, 2015 6:35 AM

Jan 2015
Daaaaamn, great episode.
Jul 30, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2011
Brilliant ep, it actually would've been awkward if he wasn't OP. He's been playing the game for years and has full mastery over everything, if there were levels involved i'm pretty he'd be maxed out.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 30, 2015 8:18 AM

Apr 2008
Zee530 said:
Brilliant ep, it actually would've been awkward if he wasn't OP. He's been playing the game for years and has full mastery over everything, if there were levels involved i'm pretty he'd be maxed out.

He has a stat card from the novel
Jul 30, 2015 1:33 PM

Feb 2014
Very good episode. I think Lord Ains' plan of taking over the world is going well; getting his name spread as a fearsome ruler yet also a protector if you're good to him. But what happens if he finds someone as good or better than him?

LOL that facepalm xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2015 2:00 PM

Oct 2011
MC's OPness has nothing to do with the show being boring or not.
remember Hellsing, wasn't Alucard OP as hell.

and we got this log horizon, Shiroe doesn't stick out, he is a little bit more clever than the average, but nothing extraordinary, still boring.

story development, execution are more important than trivial traits.
Jul 30, 2015 3:24 PM

Jan 2014
pretty good episode, nothing outstanding, but interesting. Albedo somehow grows up for me bit by bit, even if I still dont really like her.
Jul 30, 2015 5:53 PM

Sep 2012
Yohimo_asakura said:
pretty good episode, nothing outstanding, but interesting. Albedo somehow grows up for me bit by bit, even if I still dont really like her.

I don't like her all that much either, but that's probably because it looks like Shalltear has more substance so far.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jul 30, 2015 7:30 PM

Dec 2008
Really enjoyed this episode. I'm glad Albedo did at least something, even if tiny, because she was pretty much just standing there all of last ep.
I get that people won't enjoy an MC who is unchallenged & OP, but it's something different, and quite frankly, I like it. It's tiring to see the same formula and type of character over and over again. He can be OP all he wants.

Now go have weird undead demon babies with Albedo plz.
Jul 31, 2015 12:24 AM

Jul 2010
Zee530 said:

Exactly, adding on that, back when his guild was active, they were known as the strongest guild, everyone knew their name AND he was their leader. Kinda given that he'd be OP.
You may read this quote , "However, by that point you'll have been torn to pieces."
Jul 31, 2015 8:54 AM

Jul 2008
Momonga is too BADASS!!! :D SWAG :)
Jul 31, 2015 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
That was an awesome episode, my only complaint is not seeing Albedo fight, that blocking moment was too short. I'm sure it wont be the last fight so I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Jul 31, 2015 11:54 PM

Aug 2014
That CGI sucks so much..

It was an alright ep, but there is literally no tension with Ainz being so op...
Aug 1, 2015 2:57 AM

Apr 2015
Never thought it will be a bloody, one sided battle... reminds me of Kirito.... I like it.
#CHEXIT
Aug 1, 2015 6:10 AM

Dec 2013
SO OP I LOVE HOW OP THIS IS.

AINS OOL GOWN YOU ARE A BADASS.

5/5 THIS WAS AMAZEBALLZ

GET REKT MR. ARROGANT MAGE.

GG.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Aug 1, 2015 7:34 AM

Dec 2010
...a pretty bad-ass episode, total OP
Aug 1, 2015 10:05 AM
Apr 2014
Hmm-mm, another week of total annihilation. xD
Aug 1, 2015 12:46 PM

Feb 2014
I just caught up to ep 4 and I gotta say, this anime is pure wish fullfillment for all these teens.
That being said, it is still fun especially if the MC is really going for conquering the world and crushing armies one after another.
Him being OP atm is not bad, but if it is going Mahouka-like *shudder* then its going really boring.
Aug 1, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
Overlord is going well.op and ed hip and give the anime the flavor it needs.art and feels filled story....Ains Ooal Gown reminds me of a badass 90's hero "am here to magic castingly kickass and chew bubble gum" XD..well you know the rest
Aug 1, 2015 4:09 PM

May 2015
what's "ainz ooal gown" actually means?
Aug 1, 2015 4:12 PM

Apr 2008
renaiyuusha said:
what's "ainz ooal gown" actually means?

It's just a fantasy name for the guild
Aug 1, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2013
That was clever... switch!
Still waiting for Ains to become the bad-guy...
Aug 1, 2015 11:50 PM

Dec 2012
Wow an amazing fight I love the animation, when Gazef was rushing and during the fight of Ainz, the animation was really enjoyable. This anime is so great, Op and Ending perfect and awesome episode.
Aug 2, 2015 5:51 AM

Aug 2011
so cool ainz sama
Aug 2, 2015 8:08 AM

Sep 2011
Please stop talking about the LN in the ANIME discussion episode thread
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2015

246 by MrList »»
Jun 23, 11:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.