Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 8, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2013
Glad to see this isn't like K-On, not like that would bother me but this is nice ^^

Apr 8, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
I purely enjoyed this to the fullest. The aura is light with a hint of comedy, just my cup of tea. (Especially with the exams coming up)
The art is just 11/10, IT'S BEAUTIFUL! And for some reason I loved the OP & ED.

About the characters.... I think I honestly just turned bi, because I am totally in love with Kumiko and especially Sapphire now.. No kidding

Heck, even the boys are HNNNNNNNNNNNGGG! This is REALLY my cup of extra premium coffee

Apr 8, 2015 12:51 PM

Dec 2014
I liked the animation. The art is okay, not my personal taste.

The episode was okay. Kinda got boring. I don't like the MC and Sapphire was kind of annoying. Maybe they'll grow on me.

I do like the music so I'll give it two more episodes before I decide to continue watching it or not.
Apr 8, 2015 1:39 PM

Dec 2012
I liked it. It's a bit slow, but that's okay. It's beautifully animated, and the production is top notch from KyoAni.

I'm looking forward to see more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2015 1:56 PM

Feb 2014
I like it, it seems like it will actually be interesting and focusing a lot more on the actual music part unlike K-On!'s "we goof off every day and only practice once or twice ever but somehow we still play great at concerts". At least, I hope it doesn't go that way.

Apr 8, 2015 2:12 PM

Aug 2014
The new project from KyoAni. Yep! Studio which has no doubt the quality.

This anime take the unique story that does not exist in this genre. Here there is no piano or violin. Yes, because the classical orchestra has been taken by Nodame Cantabile. Music Idol (with sing and song) has been controlled by Love Live !. Music bands are the property of K-ON.

Now is the era marching band. That's what KyoAni try to lift up.

Much like K-ON, 3 first-year student at a high school meet and interested in music. Of course there is one more person.

The characters are unsightly. I see them like Inaba Himeko (Kokoro Connect), Hirasawa UI (K-ON), Matsumae Ohana (Hanasaku Iroha).

Btw, the opening clip is really nice.

With the storyline of music, as well as the curiosity that deliberately raised in the first episode, I thought this anime will carve his own name.
boledcoolApr 8, 2015 2:33 PM
Apr 8, 2015 2:36 PM

Dec 2011
In the first few seconds, Kumiko really looks like Ui have grown up especially with that ponytail.

It was an okay start. Can't wait to see how the four of them joining will change the band. Also include the music teacher (Sakurai). It feels like the band doesn't have a proper advisor yet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2015 3:00 PM

Dec 2011
The art and animation in this episode.... wow

Interesting first episode, I'll keep watching this one. Please don't screw it up, KyoAni, please.....

The OP and ED are quite good as well.

The OP somehow indicated that there's going to be a large cast in this series (but I think most of them are going to be supporting characters though?), I just hope I can remember half of them.

AaaaaaKun said:

Orangevision said:
I hope I'm not the only one who was totally expecting J.K Simmons burst through the door when they were tuning to b-flat.

With cursing, insulting and occasionally chair-flying? AotY.

Hahaha, this!!
Apr 8, 2015 3:22 PM

May 2010
That art and animation though...!!

Really looking forward to seeing the rest of this one. I played Alto Sax in concert band for 6 years so it brings back some memories and I can related to some things here and there.
Apr 8, 2015 3:28 PM

Jun 2013
it was an ok first episode at best but nice animation though
Apr 8, 2015 4:03 PM

May 2013
Main character is refreshing, and thank the lord that she isn't a cardboard cut out of the K-On characters. Love the realism, the bluntness, even the cynical moments. Reminds me of the mc from humanity has declined, and she was great. Doubt this mc will be as good, but definitely a rarity in terms of character types these days. I think I'll give it a few more episodes, we'll see where it goes.
Apr 8, 2015 5:04 PM

Jul 2012
Not a bad start, hopefully they can keep it up, because this has a lot of potential plotwise. I don't see why some people dislike the main character, all she's been so far is pretty realistic, same with the other characters thus far. I'm a music ed major and I play euphonium, so maybe I just relate to the MC really well (a lot of people who play the same instrument tend to relate to each other well). Both the OP and ED were pretty meh, but I prefer the ED (jeez, what's with you guys?). Looking forward to more!
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Apr 8, 2015 5:30 PM
Custom Title

Jul 2009
I am only here for Asuka.
Apr 8, 2015 6:00 PM
Feb 2012
Nice start. Love the ED!
Apr 8, 2015 6:07 PM

Jul 2010
Nothing special, but also nothing too bad here.I'll keep watching for fun and KyoAni eyegasm.
Also, really liking ED.
Apr 8, 2015 6:32 PM

Jun 2014
lol I used to play euphonium
Apr 8, 2015 8:46 PM

Sep 2014
I getting good vibes from this Anime. Definitely reminds me of K-On! Will definitely watch this.
Apr 8, 2015 9:02 PM

Apr 2014
this is looking good
i'll probably enjoy this more than k-on
Apr 8, 2015 9:50 PM

Sep 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
frequency15k said:

they were talking about how sapphires were green (which they can be) and then they said opal which is another green stone, and midori means green in japanese. so i guess its something like that?...

Just would make more sense to use the only gemstones that are known primarily for being green.

Emerald and Jade. (transparent and opaque)
Instead they used Sapphire and Opal. (transparent and opaque)

Maybe that's the joke? It's some weird random humor thing? Since sapphires and opals are primarily known for being blue and multicolored, respectively.

Her name is Sapphire because she has those type of parents that like picking obscure kanji readings, which is why she is embarised about it. It's like being called moonbeam or some other wierd name in english. Pretty much her parents liked the name Sapphire and chose some random kanji that would fit.
Apr 8, 2015 9:56 PM

Jun 2014
at the moment seems the typical KyoAni moe show. I like it :D

Apr 8, 2015 11:16 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Bringing back the nightmares when I used to play clarinet.

Anyway, enjoyed this quite a bit. Nearest thing it reminds me of is PA Works' Tari Tari.
Apr 8, 2015 11:33 PM

Jun 2013
Dang yo, Kyoto Animation's visuals never disappoint. Their character designs are always very appealing, but maybe that's just my preferences.

#letmetouchyourtubakun
-Trippwire-Apr 8, 2015 11:55 PM
Apr 8, 2015 11:56 PM
Jun 2009
santk said:
at the moment seems the typical KyoAni moe show. I like it :D

It doesn't scream "moe" at all. Great attention was given to the subtle details of the characterization, but it just doesn't seem as typical as KyoAni moe show.

Anyway, I thought this episode was really good. The pacing is incredibly comfortable to sit through, and the relationships between the main characters is now established. It seems like this series has benefited from the production of Tamako love story, as it feels very strikingly similar to the latter. Must be Yamada's doing, but this time it's clear that this series knows what it wants to do. Of course, it's not trying to become a K-ON!! clone. Again, Episode 1 is highly coherent, thanks to the good quality writing. Looking forward to the rest of the show.
Apr 9, 2015 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
Good, had a bit of expectations for this and it was very enjoyable.
Though, no more ponytail? Why? Such disappointment...
Apr 9, 2015 1:05 AM
Jan 2015
sbyrstall said:
-Merando- said:
Who calls it "Euph" .. Something died in me.
This may shock you but pretty much everyone who's been in the band. I know someone who marched with Phantom Regiment and has his PhD in conducting and euphonium performance, and he calls it a euph (I'll put his video up later). I never heard it called UFO until recently.

I play it by myself, but among my acquaintance nobody calls it so. Everyone says the full name .. Maybe it is shortened elsewhere and I'm not used to it.^^
Apr 9, 2015 3:10 AM

Apr 2014
Good looking.
Good sounding.
Intriguing character intros.
It doesn't feel like K-On!
Ill watch.
I say "I'm speechless" to tell you I want to say something though am not sure how...
Apr 9, 2015 3:18 AM

Jan 2013
Vindstot said:
Kumiko is very indecisive, and that's not a very good sign for a MC. She decides not to join the band on whim while thinking about Kousaka, but ended up joining anyways after looking at her friends' hopeful faces.
Hazuki and Midori are pretty nice going and more likable than Kumiko. Not sure how to feel about Kousaka yet. She might become the source of all kinds of drama.

Shuichi thought he could get all chummy with Kumiko on the premise that he's her osananajimi. Quite funny how Kumiko didn't pay him much attention.
Comparatively, that megane guy seems more interesting. I think he's a "sensei"-type character, since he was driving an (old model) car.

Decent start. I like the ED more than the OP. Has bits of Chuunibyou vibes. Hopefully, this'll bring us more music and less melodrama, unlike a certain series..
Midway card confirms harem themed show! :O

None of those characters appear in the show though.

Show's surprisingly just... OK. I liked how Hyouka started off more.... Hmmm... maybe I have a natural negative bias to a predominant female cast (cause I liked Hyouka's protagonist)? Hmmm... nah, I liked K-On and Sora No Wo To as much as Hyouka. Something about this show doesn't click with me.
Apr 9, 2015 3:21 AM

Jul 2014
I already like this lol
Apr 9, 2015 4:15 AM

Oct 2008
New series of KyoAni!
I like all the 4 MC VA line-up because it's getting boring hearing those common professional seiyuus. (sick and tired of hearing usual seiyuu)
So....Kumiko is already a high standard with these kind of symphonic bands because she already knows how awful the current club is.
Let's see how this goes.

Apr 9, 2015 4:53 AM

Jun 2008
Laraid said:
I am only here for Asuka.
Sorry, I already claimed her as my waifu. :p
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 9, 2015 6:35 AM

Aug 2013
Cute first episode.
My Candies:
Apr 9, 2015 7:16 AM

Jan 2014
That was an interesting first episode. I was never much of a band person, but this actually had me really interested. The animation isn't too shabby either. Seems like a nice one.

Asuka is amazing!
Apr 9, 2015 7:43 AM

Feb 2012
I like it! Loving the KyoAni eyes! The main girl looks and sounds pretty, and is a bit mysterious at the moment.
Apr 9, 2015 7:43 AM

Apr 2010
Don't know it was a bit slow even for Kyoani, so i am wondering how the rest of the anime will turn out.
The characters need some work but it's only the first episode so it's fine for the time being a guess.
Apr 9, 2015 8:01 AM

Feb 2014
Pretty good and fun first episode. This looks like it might fill my K-On void but this time with more focus on music. I especially liked the realistic dialogue and interactions. And Kumiko is like a perpetually blushing Ui with the personality of Katou Megumi.
Apr 9, 2015 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
Not bad. Much better than a thought it would be.

Such amazing visuals too.
Salmon is delicious.
Apr 9, 2015 10:03 AM

Sep 2010
Eye Candy.....
Apr 9, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2015
Peer pressure (way to go on making that look like a good thing!), hair that looks like it's been folded, a super-weird magician and her antisocial I-am-awesomeness twin-like counterpart (with purple eyes, nog al).

Definitely best anime of the season so far. Can't stop watching.

Apr 9, 2015 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
Surprised I liked the episode. Should like it if it says drama/music focus and stays away from the boring slice of life style in K-On/ Tari Tari. On my dark horse list for the spring.
Blindwolf Anime <- My Blog
Apr 9, 2015 3:28 PM

Oct 2009
Really love the visual and the hair, the background quality is expected of KyoAni also marks the return of their visual filters and depth of field.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 9, 2015 5:42 PM

Mar 2015
Oh man, Sapphire is so cute, and Asuka too. Kumiko is kinda weak though...I just hope the teacher shows up more, I think I'm gonna really like him. Anyway, really nice visuals, alright story and cute characters.

Can't tell if this is going to be more drama or more slice-of-life.
Apr 9, 2015 6:08 PM

Jun 2014
FukuSencho said:
Peer pressure (way to go on making that look like a good thing!), hair that looks like it's been folded, a super-weird magician and her antisocial I-am-awesomeness twin-like counterpart (with purple eyes, nog al).

Definitely best anime of the season so far. Can't stop watching.

Yeah, this one was really good. I expected the rating to be like a 8.30 before I went on to add it to my list. Great stuff.
Apr 9, 2015 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
I don't know. I look at Kumiko and see Makoto Kino aka Sailor Jupiter. Same hair color, same facial structure. She looks physically nothing like Yui (well maybe for the hair pulled back) from K-ON!.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 9, 2015 7:57 PM

Oct 2013
This looks good. I hope it will be
Apr 9, 2015 9:27 PM

Jul 2010
I really enjoyed this one. It isn't just my normal yuri goggles, right? The main character is crushing on her friend from middle school and that is why she was so upset after she disappointed her by suggesting that they never really had a chance at nationals....

(I think the red-string-of-fate in the ED heavily suggests that...)
Apr 9, 2015 11:07 PM

Feb 2014
this is...actually not that bad
Apr 10, 2015 1:08 AM
Sep 2014
I'm really liking this so far. The visuals are awesome.
SEE YOU NEXT LEVEL
Apr 10, 2015 5:30 AM
Nov 2009
Hey, it wasn't that bad at all. It was quite interesting with all the music babble going on.
Apr 10, 2015 6:28 AM

Oct 2013
The only good thing about this episode was the art, didn't enjoy it that much. I found it VERY slow, and this comes from someone who enjoys calm shows and a big fan of Kyoani. Hope it doesn't stay like this
Apr 10, 2015 8:16 AM

Aug 2008
Asuka's also my GF.... so back off, hands, off. pccc
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

194 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

243 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

396 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 24, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2015

206 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 18, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.