Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 16, 2012 10:41 PM

Nov 2009
Didn't think this arc would be more than 2 episodes however did like seeing Chitanda drunk, that was rather funny.
Oct 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Aug 2010
And here I was thinking how Chitanda was able to hold her liquor... Guess I was wrong!

Out of the three theories, two are a bit silly.. Was hoping for a more constructive theory but oh well...
Nov 7, 2012 2:41 PM

Jan 2012
i don't think any of the theories are correct im leaning towards either accident or maybe even a fake death? not even sure maybe he did get killed but the only one that was possible was the 2nd theory but even that has so many flaws it can't be right D:

but yeah great episode Eru was so cute getting drunk of the chocolates her passing out was just so random xD
Nov 17, 2012 6:15 PM

Sep 2012
omg chi-chan's hiccups were so cute :3
Dec 17, 2012 1:40 PM
Dec 2012
Geinrendour said:
Does anyone knows what "EBA" means? In the end of the episode, after the girl asks him out, the subtitle appears with "Why didn't she ask for EBA?"

Kurako Eba is the best friend of Hongō. She definetly knowed the truth about the mistery, so there comes the question : Why didn't she ask EBA?
Jan 25, 2013 12:45 AM
Dec 2012
I love the drunk Eru XD
Apr 5, 2013 1:34 AM

Jan 2013
Eru is so adorable and cute.
Seriously the visuals in this are in the top 5 anime series I've seen.
Jun 16, 2013 8:18 PM

Feb 2012
Elite60 said:
Eru getting drunk off alcoholic chocolate, lol!

I was watching her eat those chocolates and was like.. she'll get drunk!

That was funny xD
Jun 17, 2013 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Stake that has the merit of introducing the new characters and make it happened not just trivial. Technically it is always fabulous.
Jul 25, 2013 5:53 AM

Jan 2012
i liked the last deduction the most, but judging from the title of the next episode...
EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!! XD
Nov 14, 2013 5:17 AM

Oct 2013
When Chitanda asks
before writing the script and everyone turns and stares at her and she flusters,made me lol.
Why does she suddenly make a peeping noise at 11.30 !?! so weird. omg again . Shes peepin. annnnnnnnnnnd shes drunk. Classic Chitanda.

Why didn't she ask EBA? Nani?
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 25, 2013 6:21 AM

Jun 2012
Drunk Chi-san. Lol. Great episode. Unlike Oreki and others, I don't find the seniors' theories bad. They were good, but didn't solve the mystery. That's all.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 31, 2013 2:02 AM

Jun 2013
Lolololol. Those theories were lame. Epic fail.
No one beats the genius Oreki.
Not saying that he can beat Conan(the master of the detectives). What I mean is among the characters in this series, Oreki is the most brilliant, so far.
Jan 14, 2014 10:31 PM

Jul 2013
Lol Chitanda getting drunk from chocolates XD.

Observing these unfinished film theories can be quite entertaining. Oreki didn't have a clue of whats going on, though he might have an answer at the next episode.

Feb 23, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2013
What a great episode! This is clearly one of my favorite mystery in the Hyouka series. That and the 45 years ago school movement with Chitanda's uncle involved.
Mar 18, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2012
Chitanda, plz stop eating so many chocolates. "It's just wrong!"

Mar 24, 2014 3:35 PM

Aug 2013
Mmm, now they are almost back to the starting point :P

Chitanda don't liking mystery genre surprised the fuck out of me xD
And also getting drunk by eating whiskey chocolate, that's almost cute/sexy :P

Houtarou was really passive and seeing him that passive make me think that we still don't have enough clue to solve the case.

The first guy was so dumb, it was just too hilarious how he was so confident.
That second guy had that smug face I hate so much, I hoped Houtarou would destroy is theory but it didn't happened that way.
The last girl theory was too simple for a mystery story. Even more that she read Sherlock Holmes to get inspiration, not Friday 13...

So what we have : a closed room with a window, a cord, one victim and a mysterious killer that must be one of the 5 others persons. I can't figure it out...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 1, 2014 4:46 AM
Jul 2018

Chii-chan is drunk!
Jun 7, 2014 1:31 PM

Jul 2009
Lol Chitanda eating all those chocolates ... she must be really lightweight to get drunk off those! O_O
So nobody's theories work eh ... the assistant director's theory was uh ... he sure was pushy XD Props director (Haba?) had a somewhat decent theory at least. Loved the girl at the end XD She was so excited and her expressions and hairstyle were so cute lol :P
I wonder what Hongou had in mind for the script ... she read Sherlock Holmes to "prep" (also Fukube is a Sherlock fan apparently :P) and even took notes ... that script was pretty detailed too! Well, looks like Irisu's going to take Houtarou out for tea ... it seems she knows a bit more about this, perhaps? :O
Sep 23, 2014 11:20 PM
Sep 2014
MrOtakuSan instant reaction~~~!!!

Overall a bland episode, with the highlight of it Chitanda getting drunk off whisky candy. I'm slightly glad about Houtarou going back to Energy Conservation mode looking to be pretty uninterested in this mess he got himself into.

Overall though, I'm still not happy with the lack of some character progression. I don't even mind in what way, or even if it's romantic progression between any of the characters. But it seems less interested to focus 90% of mystery solving and 10% random Chitanda comedy.

With the other chick at the end of the episode I'm predicting a "love triangle" between her and Chitanda is about to commence.

Again, I really wish this show would better explore the development of the following:

1. The struggle between Houtarou's "Energy Conservation" lifetyle vs "rose-colored" lifestyle. And maybe the influence his sister is having on this. They were exploring this a little bit but this seems to have died out for 100% dialog saved for mystery solving.

2. His "mystery solving" ability as his "special power". The origins, etc. Something about it.

3. Romance between him and Chitanda. Even if it's some kind of flat out rejection (he rejects her because she drains too much energy), or she rejects him (not sure why she would, but I'm sure the writers could come up with something). Or maybe some small back and forth/flirting between them, which it kinda looks like they are doing, but now this seems to be dead.

4. Satoshi/Mayaka romance progress again. I'd even settle for some Mayaka Tsundere at this point.
Mar 3, 2015 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
I'm pretty sure by now that Chitanda's got another side to her.

The constant full-scale invasion of personal space, constantly picking alone time, the dissapointment at the onsen not being mixed, her "accidental" love of whisky, her general curious nature, and the downright teasing of Houtarou,.. you can blush or kawaii me all you want, but I swear she's one heck of a party animal (>.<)
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
May 19, 2015 11:56 PM

Jul 2008
Oh Eru just gets dumber and dumber each episode. How has she survived this long anyway?
Jun 7, 2015 9:04 AM
Jun 2015
Chitanda drunk is cute and funny XD
snn15Jun 7, 2015 10:04 AM
Jun 11, 2015 9:04 PM

Jun 2013
That hiccup at the halfway mark.......
Jun 22, 2015 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Shit! Chitanda san is so cute!
Sep 11, 2015 5:48 PM

Nov 2010
Geinrendour said:
Does anyone knows what "EBA" means? In the end of the episode, after the girl asks him out, the subtitle appears with "Why didn't she ask for EBA?"

Might be a reference to Agatha Christie's work "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?"
Eba is that script writer's best friend's name I guess.
Oct 24, 2015 7:20 AM
May 2015
Chitanda is so irritating, let's see what happened to the next episode.
Dec 16, 2015 5:50 PM

Sep 2014
Seriously why didn't she ask Eba? Ep 9.

Plot: 3 guests. 3 theories on how the movie should go. And all just don't work. Each carries a bias and personal idea on how the movie should go but just doesn't acknowledge or even try to align with the vision of the writer. And as Oreki ends the day, Irisu arrives to talk.

Character: Each of the helpers of the 3 has a distinct personality. Brony guy looks like an overexcited bro. Glasses needs a punch to the face. And Genki girl was adorable.

Animation/sound: Kyoani really went all in on those facial expressions and movement.

4/5. This is fun to just look at.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Mar 26, 2016 5:17 PM
Feb 2015
God I need to go to bed but I wanna know the culprit so badly
May 11, 2016 10:39 PM

Mar 2014
The fact that it is still incomplete matters that's why it'll continue next .
Great Episode . Its Whiskey chocolate ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2016 1:51 AM

Jan 2016
Chitanda just getting drunk on Whiskey Chocolate xD lmao Best part as she just passed out. xD
As i said in the last episode, i was hoping for something interesting..after a way too slow episode.. they sure delivered it! It got way more exiting and too see each theory really got me fascinated and interested.
But seriously tho...rope..that idea was the worst, just a pain to hear... damn
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jun 19, 2016 5:19 PM

Nov 2014
damn! this has to be the best episode so far. I liked all the discussions they had, and the mystery itself is quite intriguing. I'd go watch the episode 7 again to solve this myself, but I'm too lazy for that. Chitanda was ADORABLE. I totally love her at this point!

*dies of moe*
Aug 14, 2016 3:40 PM
Jan 2012
chitanda drunk that's very funny.
The testimonials were very confused. It think turned out that the words of sawakiguchi were decisive for the solution. but the case don't have solution this episode.
RafaKojiroAug 14, 2016 3:50 PM
Nov 7, 2016 9:57 PM

Sep 2015
The Senpai at the end had the most interesting theory. Aww I was expecting Chitanda to spill out some secrets while she was drunk like hints of liking Houtarou
Dec 27, 2016 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
Okay, the script writer is terribly sick; but why can they not just call her on the damn phone and just ask her how the script was supposed to end?
Jun 11, 2017 4:28 PM

Aug 2013
Chitanda was so cute.

The last theory was fun. The others were quite lame. Let's see how Houtarou will solve this.

Jun 13, 2017 8:55 PM
Mar 2015
First the background music from a bass within a method explanation, then the occurance of a murder case and furthermore the reference to arthur conan doyle. This series will turn to Conan at the end xD
Jul 5, 2017 7:42 PM
Jan 2012
I want more of that 3rd detective girl, her and her hair are cute!

Also, drunk Chitanda haha.
Jan 27, 2018 4:12 AM

Dec 2016
This reminded me a lot of Umineko. Also lol at drunk Chitanda
May 1, 2018 3:46 AM

Apr 2013
So all the theories match the appearance of their makers. First one was just simple and bruteforced, second one tried to be smarter than the author himself and third one went with the thing that seemed most fun. Drunk Chii-chan was funny though.
Apr 6, 2019 7:21 AM

May 2015
How can someone get drunk eating some alkocandy? like WTF?
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 26, 2019 7:49 PM

Jul 2016
Absolutely boring episode, I honestly couldn't care less for who the killer is... but well, at least drunk Eru made the episode more bearable.

Those hiccups tho... so cute >.<
Aug 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Nov 2017
Haha, a drunk Eru this episode! I've been there myself 😂
Jan 23, 2020 12:34 AM
Apr 2016
Chitanda was so damn cute this episode, oh wow.
Jan 23, 2020 6:16 AM

Aug 2017
ElessaR88 said:
Geinrendour said:

That's the name of the volume of the novel. We might find later when they solve the mystery. Like they did with the Hyouka arc.

It's also a reference to a novel by Agatha Christie titled "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?".
"If you think you can talk your way out of this one, by all means please do." - Near
Jan 23, 2020 6:28 AM

Aug 2017
ginnina said:
Geinrendour said:

Might be a reference to Agatha Christie's work "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?"
Eba is that script writer's best friend's name I guess.

It's kind of a late reply. :D But God, I'm so glad I'm not the only one knowing this.
"If you think you can talk your way out of this one, by all means please do." - Near
Jun 7, 2020 9:48 PM

Aug 2019
pfft ok slightly drunk Chitanda is actually pretty fucking cute.
won't lie all of the theories weren't all that bad, they certainly had there plot holes but interesting concepts.
However that ending seems to hint at the conclusion for them
Sep 11, 2020 10:36 PM

Jun 2020
so cute when oreki told chitanda to stop when she devoured the entire box of whiskey chocolates, he was paying attention to her huh

she's buzzed alright x)

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 3, 2021 10:17 PM

Feb 2019
It seems that despite the fact that they voted "mystery" by majority vote, these three at least don't seem too keen on an actual mystery. One just wants drama and one wants horror even. I get the feeling that nobody is respecting Hongo despite asking her to write the script. Especially Haba-senpai, with how he completely disregarded Hongo's specific request with how much blood there should be. I think that's a game changer, and I think they should maybe redo that scene since Haba-senpai ruined it with how much blood there is. I think Hongo, despite being an "amateur", seems to have written a good and consistent script.

Eru getting drunk over whiskey bon-bons was so cute! Especially when Hotaro got the script and she was just going left and right behind her!
Apr 13, 2021 6:37 AM

Jun 2020
In this episode, they judged 3 theories from 3 different persons

Bringing Whiskey Chocolates would be quite questionable for Eru (but she got drunk anyway)They rejected 3 theories from them I wonder what happens then

Oreki saw Irisu in the other part of the road and invited him for tea wonder what will she discuss with him

still can't get drunk Eru out from my head makes her even more annoying at the same time cuter
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 29, 2012

377 by sahzzy_sama »»
May 23, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.