Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 11, 2017 4:42 AM
Mar 2015
Anisamar said:
I’d always thought the girl on the newspaper wasn’t her since that girl’s eye color looks more like Sammy’s: grey instead of Nagi’s emerald ones. But there’s no doubt it has to be Nagi.

… And, maybe Sammy’s code:Eve AI was transplanted from the robot Nagi had with her when the radicals attacked…? Just writing random thoughts that make no sense, that’s it.

^ This. I actually thought the girl in the newspaper looked more like Sammy than Nagi, though I suppose it doesn't make much sense that it is Sammy and thus it would have to be Nagi.

At any rate, this movie was amazing and I loved all of the characters and their interactions with each other. I absolutely enjoyed the Time of EVE!
Aug 13, 2017 5:23 PM

May 2013
This movie was good :) I enjoyed it. Its atmosphere was quite mellow. Wonder if there's gonna be another movie since the storyline is still incomplete.

Didn't know this was an anime series; that's what ppl are saying :0 I'll have to look into it.

7/10
Sep 12, 2017 9:58 AM

Jul 2015
Ehh, this felt too disjointed at times. Ended up not paying as much attention as I wanted to. It was nice though
Oct 2, 2017 3:07 AM

May 2010
This really needs a continuation. But ye Nagi is my overall fav so glad to have more info on her. The original had this really nice scene with Sammy which was also really nice. I like both main girls+Akiko. Everyone is more or less likable tho.
Oct 13, 2017 3:22 AM

Oct 2015
This sucked for me and i was fuming every minute of it, i hope to never see it again. I dont enjoy machines imitating human emotions, i believe they are lies. I cant relate to androids trying to be human or any emotions related to them i find them boring and vain. So excuse me machine fans i wasnt feeling this one 4/10. Machines are machines nothing more
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 22, 2017 3:18 AM

May 2017
This was pretty good,
There are still some scenes I couldn't understand.
What's with the white hair girl/man beating Sammy with rod thing?
It's been 7 years but I still hope for a sequel.
Were there some scenes removed from the film?
Dec 25, 2017 8:51 AM

Feb 2015
As someone who watched the ona and I enjoyed it, the movie was not as great as its original.

Some new scenes were added, some weren't included. It was sad that they removed some scenes (they were nice) and the ones that were added weren't really that great, especially the ending.
I liked how in original ending the MC's sister would thank Sammy for help with shopping and gave her hair ornament, it was like she accepted her which was really nice after seeing how she behaved before but they removed it... adding ending I felt no connection with.

Another thing that I missed was the cafe intro, you would hear it in every ep and besides of it being really great it actually had some impact - in Katoran ep you would hear the intro that would be stopped and replaced by Kotoran's intro music, these pieces had different tones and it was just awesome how they put them together creating some kind shock effect (can't really name it better) but in this movie it just wasn't here and so Kotoran's entrance wasn't impressive at all. It was boring.
HakaminahApr 27, 2018 11:33 AM
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Oct 25, 2018 7:34 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I had watched the ONA before the movie and glad for that. This is the only version I'd even recommend for people. And immensely more cohesive story and even though it was only small bits and pieces added it makes a world of difference.

I still think some story elements are lacking and could use a definitve sequel and do well because of it but overall a great time, I just wanted more of this small window of the world we got to see.
Nov 20, 2018 6:05 AM

Jun 2015
Before Masakazu take TEX back home from the cafe, nobody find it weird that Sammy has tear ducts and cried even though she's an android(dramatic effect much)?
Jan 6, 2019 1:38 PM

Aug 2012
S-Word said:
The lawyer kid should have been the protagonist.

Sami and the glasses kid didn't do anything, and I don't feel like glasses kid learned anything.

This. Promising potential and premise that ended in a flop.

This feels incomplete. It's been 8 years and there have been no sequels wtf.

7/10

Mar 28, 2019 4:35 AM

May 2016
It was a pretty slow burner where the awkwardness of the two humans is immeasurable as they struggle to look past their ignorance towards how androids can act and feel things just like how a human could but it was a really rewarding experience to watch them gradually warm up and get to know the regulars of the Time of Eve regardless of whether they are humans or androids.

Everyone in the cafe had a touching story to tell but that illegally abandoned robot and Tex's dilemma hit me the most. The least human looking ones always do seem to have a heart of gold... I really hope that Nagi and the cafe will stay safe despite the dangers the Ethics Committee pose right now. I really liked Kalafina's song and how they showed Nagi's story with Tsukioka at the credits.

Aug 24, 2019 8:19 PM
Aug 2019
I finally watched the Time of Eve.

When they found the entrance I recognized the alley they were in with the vending machine in the background. After the credits rolled I checked and sure enough I had taken a photograph of the same view down the alley on Oct 10, 2016 in the Ginza.
Aug 25, 2019 7:47 AM
Aug 2019
PS:
I did some checking, the location is between Matsuya Dōri and Harumi Dōri 2nd block NW from the Wakō Department Store. Best approached from Matsuya Dōri as that is the direction the shot is taken from.
Sep 10, 2019 3:04 PM

Sep 2017
A very nice movie, I like way of representing the human / robot relationship and how these robots can house something similar to feelings ... now I join the train waiting for some unlikely continuation?
Nov 22, 2019 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
I can't believe that kid cried over a freaking machine talking to him...

I was never one to like stories with robots who had human emotions and this movie hasn't changed that. Meh.
Dec 31, 2019 3:28 AM

Dec 2009
I watched the TV and Movie at the same time. The movie is better, no doubt.
Great watch. I really enjoyed it.

... With a dramatic constant mystery and ethics along with conflict of the human and android relationship, the comedic bits were genius and hilarious even though they are few. The characters are very intriguing along with the dense plot.

Unfortunately the depth of the unknown in the future of the story is very disappointing.
I would of liked to see more of Sammy and Rikuo's relationship, along with the future of the Android couple and Akiko. The conflict of the Ethics committee and the other organization, the white haired woman would have been fun to watch as well.

Rough Lengthier Draft:
waalex11Jul 23, 2023 12:53 AM
Feb 3, 2020 11:50 AM

Sep 2019
Technically a recap version of the anime with 2 min of extra scenes. Well I enjoyed the anime so it's ok
Apr 27, 2020 2:27 PM

Jun 2014
This really needs a sequel. Too many questions unanswered...
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jul 15, 2020 10:20 PM

Jan 2018
So, basically it's a retelling of the story with minor details added. It is still a great anime to watch in its theatrical form.

As for the questions I've got from the ONA discussion:
a.) How did they get sentience?
It was the creator's will Shiotsuki. He also managed to get the priority code 1108 to make androids discover the cafe but little by little.

b.) What is the goal of the Ethics Commitee?
To simply say, to not let the androids dominate or permeate human society. They've closed a lot of places where androids and humans socialize with the exception of Time of Eve due to their spy Android got caught. Thanks to THX.

c.) How did the creator designed the androids in the first place?
The Three Laws are still there. But, as referring to the first question. He did put sentience on them, though not all activated yet. It'll take time for them to discover the certain cafe.

The Chairwoman and Setoro are carefully observing the Ethics Committee's actions. They knew the truth about it, as well as Shiostuki's intentions. This really needs a sequel to further solidify the story.

Well, it is still fun to watch. Same rating as well. 9/10
Dec 16, 2020 2:57 AM
Apr 2020
Really a good story, honestly I hope that Rikuo and Sammy relationship can grow in the cafe and can sit there together. But so far I was quite satisfied with the end. Oh yeah there is something that still makes me curious, namely when Sammy memory appears and there is a beating incident, I'm curious about what it is?
Dec 16, 2020 3:00 AM
Apr 2020
I'm always looking forward to the next sequel
Jan 6, 2021 2:28 AM

May 2020
I wonder if a sequel will ever come out.
Jun 5, 2021 7:08 AM

Aug 2017
One of the early TV ads said "Pale Cocoon Ep2", huh. What a tease :( And the ads on the buildings featured Yoshiura's Pale Cocoon and Aquatic Language. Later in the film too. There're plenty of other small details to like - e.g. we could see order 1198 on Katoran's screen.

In any case, a very heartwarming anime, even if it doesn't (directly) answer some questions. I actually expected some more serious drama by the end but all's well that ends well (or does it? was the cafe the only unraided place?).

Also, I think Shimei's voice was present at the meeting, so he might not be just a regular customer at the cafe. Or maybe just a similar voice.

Chie-chan reminded me of Pino from Ergo Proxy. Though I guess she's an actual human.

Given that the Tokisaka incident happened 10+ years prior to the events of the movie, Nagi is...15 years old? Well maybe a bit more but still... Though according to Yoshiura both Nagi and Sammy are a bit over 20 lol.
St0rmbladeJun 5, 2021 2:51 PM
Sep 1, 2021 10:02 AM

Aug 2017
It was fine but I think a few subplots weren't resolved or they were abandoned. Masaki subplot was my favourite. I think this movie needs a sequel. 6/10 for the movie.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 19, 2021 5:48 AM

Dec 2020
watched the ona a while ago, thought i would watch the movie. kinda sad it wasn’t a sequel or anything but the story is still great
Aug 11, 2022 9:28 AM

May 2021
This was just an improved version of the ONA, it didnt added too much overall to the show, 5/10
Jul 22, 2023 11:33 PM

Dec 2009
Rewatched this for the second time. 8/10.
I originally watched this in 2019, but I don't remember watching it again afterwards, even though I marked that I did.
Regardless, I completely forgot several details, so the experience was as lovely as the first time.

It's brief to each plot of showing every character's own issues, and in the end leaves you wanting more since there's a lot of mystery left to the past of what exactly happened, and the future of what may happen.
So it's somewhat disappointing how we don't have answers to several questions till this day, almost 15 years later. 
Worse is how a supposed sequel was planned (of which I never found a source to that supposed claim from the director in a screening)
or rather Rikuo's hint of a sequel, telling the audience: "Many more things happened to me... but that's another story."

Technically, the psychological question of human and robots interacting as equals and how it portrays that with each character is genius,
along with the astounding seamless camera work of cinematography and beautiful soundtrack to compliment it. 

From the android couple unaware of both being androids, with; 
Rina as an android bodyguard who's leg is compromised, who can't visit her maker for repair due to the risk it could pose to her master.
And, Kouji, an awkward android who (because they are similar) is dating Rina to comprehend his master who is dependent of him as a lover, and wants the best for his master. Most likely by turning her to a healthy normal human relationship. 
While Kouji is selfishly using Rina as a means to save his master... Rina enjoys her time at the cafe from how kindly Kouji treats her, even though she acts the least human (since she's halted her learning functions to protect herself from being exposed and destroyed as a sentient android, which she happens will happen sooner than later).
... It's actually unclear how much they truly love each other or not, but they do seem to care and enjoy their time together.

Chie is a fairly intriguing character, even though she's only a child.
She clearly seems like a genuine childish human. Calling herself and acting like a cat, while playfully exploring and having fun in her own world of imagination with the customers and teasing them as she likes.
Shimei  the old man who cares for her, is a secret prototype android parent. Her legitimate fosterparent, because she's (probly) adopted. Except, she's unaware that he's an android, 'wondering why he's absent for a day every month (for his daily maintenance).
... It's a small dynamic in the story, but the bond shown from the two seems to show true love, particularly from Shimei who deeply cares for her and doesn't want her to find out yet.

Masaki is probably the most complex character arc in the story since it's the most dramatic one.
Candidly communicating with his android Tex as equals since he was young, after his father ordered Tex to never speak again when he overheard Tex promising a secret to not tell his father of their discussion; of not blaming his father for divorcing his mother, because neither of his parents are completely wrong. 
Ever since then, several years later, Tex never spoke again, which for young Masaki, a child with divorced parents and his closest friend and confidant Tex hurt him, which caused him to feel betrayed after finding out why, and never trust androids again. 
... Until Tex followed Masaki's joking mention of the Time of Eve cafe, and "broke" the rule to not speak when an Android spy was present (which it aware of because it works for Masaki's father, who's part of the 'Robot Ethics Committee'), contradicting a rule which allowed him to speak, briefly to respond to Masaki... confirming that he always wanted to be by his side.

Not only is his use in the story as a counter to robot acceptance great, but his relationship with Tex being solved is beautiful. 
Including the future unknown of how Tex could be able to speak, which Rikuo is optomistic of. 
... The way in which Masaki presents his mysterious attitude of hate towards robots and how he displays these questions of trust to them is solid. 
Meanwhile, he has a father who's affected his life as so, and is a Lead of this Anti-Robot organization which is a very intriguing dynamic.

Rikuo the protagonist and center of the story is well rounded in how he's used to show his development of accepting androids with each experience of learning from them and enjoying his time in the cafe. 
Formerly a pianist. He lost his passion and stopped playing after a robot played perfectly in his school show, even though he won the award, because it felt meaningless knowing robots could play perfectly in an instant, is what he thought. 

In the beginning of the story, he tracks where his android Sammy has mysteriously gone out of necessary trips, which lead him to the Time of Eve cafe.
In that time, he learned of the complicated oblivious android couple Rina and Kouji. 
Nagi, the human owner and server of the cafe who deeply cares for everyone in the cafe, humans and robots or androids alike. 
And Chie who's fondly cared by Shimei. 

When he first sees Sammy in the cafe, he finds it disgraceful that his servant android is acting like a human and in a cafe at her leisure.
At home, she acts as a normal android would, hiding her true self. She avoids him in the cafe to the point of hiding until he leaves because she's afraid he'll get mad at her,
but over time he learns to appreciate her concern and care for him of brewing the cafe's same coffee at home. 
Later on, she practices the piano at night, and poorly plays in front of everyone, for Chie who's depressed that Shimei is gone, which on reflex angers Rikuo, but after realizing that not all androids and robots can be flawless and playing an instrument, he stops caring about his past anger, and plays the piano again for the first time in years for everyone.  

... Their relationship is a healthy one now after Rikuo came to accept and respect robots,
even though he originally felt inferior to some, ordered her like a servant, and was embarassed to be cared by her in front of others, while feeling inferior at other times... but he's learned to realize that they can be real too, while Sammy particularly cares for him in how she looks out for him. 
Unfortunately, their moments are brief. She mostly hides from him out of fear, and they occasionally and candidly "discuss" together at home.
While Rikuo's older sister, Naoko doesn't show much reaction to that except for one mockery of him turning into a robot-lover. 
I don't clearly remember the tv series, but in that post credits, she does show affection and appreciation for Sammy when thanking her for bringing her home, and putting a flower on her hair.

Akiko is surprisingly the least interesting in the end,
but she's a strong pivotal first twist to the story in revealing that she's an android, even though she's incredibly expressive, empathetic of others, and flawed in some ignorance which is a powerful sign to how human these androids can be.

The two most mysterious characters are Nagi and Ashimori who works with Setoro.
Ashimori, who works for the 'Android Promotion Commitee' is the woman who's investigating Shiotsuki's past experiment of code:life that she forcefully halted in the past, but now continues as Time of Eve.

Without knowing Japanese, it's difficult to fully understand the files she's closing and retaining, along with the article that she shows Setoro, the Human Spy in a black suit in the cafe.
Based on their actions of not doing anything, or at least setting the Time of Eve cafe as "retain" while the other (most likely) cafe's are being closed of which we see three... along with their name being called Robot Promotion instead of Ethics Promotion, it seems like they're the good guys. 
As if she's trying to help Shiotsuki now, even though she did the opposite in the past which is later revealed literally in the ending credits. 

In the article, Nagi was thought to be severly injured and dead at 5 years old from a robot incident, yet she survived.
In the end credits, we see;
Nagi and her robot (like Tex's model) together on the ground, with the robot's wires on its neck disconnected, as if it electrocuted her, I guess. 
She became bedridden and lost the ability to walk, but regained the ability with rehab, with Shiotsuki on her side as a father-figure, but it's uncertain if that's her father or not.

Shiotsuki seems to have been part cyborg since she was young, and has lived with robots since starting a cafe as a teenager... but Ashimori stopped them, destroying the robots and halting his project: code:life. 
So they expanded by opening several cafes of Time of Eve to different places.
As pictures are shown of their expansion and difficulty, the song itself is a reflection of the hardship of building their dream of Time of Eve with perseverence.

Post Credits, we see Nagi enter Shiotsuki's office, where he speaks on his insecurity and restlessness of keeping Time of Eve alive, ever since Ashimori "broke her".
... Remember, in the middle of the story where Sammy reflects on her life and Rikuo, we see one still when she was brough to Rikuo's home, and another memory of Ashimori beating Sammy with several others around her, followed by Shiotsuki seemingly fixing her. 
In the ending credits, there's a picture of Ashimori arguing with Shiotsuki face-to-face at his table.
Thus... I wonder if Sammy was Shiotsuki's lover, or just his cherished robot, or if Ashimori was his original wife, and Nagi's mother
They don't have rings, so I guess they were both Researchers, while he's clearly the or a creator, even though in the tv series, Rikuo seems to be thee or a creator of androids as well. 

As for Nagi herself, just like Shiotsuki, she's part android herself which is briefly shown faintly through her knuckles when she comforts him by hugging him from the back and placing her hand onto his, so it's clearly now why she's so empathetic to androids, because just like Shiotsuki, she's partly robot (in her hand as far as we know) herself.
Although, more importantly she's lived through this project of Time of Eve most of her life. 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A lot is left out from these characters and the future of androids with the Robots Promotion and Ethics Commitee involved, so I would love to see a sequel of this gem. 
Nonetheless, from the bit of comedy, the relationship, music and whole atmosphere, it is incredibly charming. A beautiful story.
waalex11Jul 23, 2023 8:42 PM
Sep 16, 2023 11:53 PM

Dec 2022
This movie has some incredible value from an immersive perspective. The cafe itself felt very real, as did the regulars there. Felt a certain attachment even to recently introduced characters just based on how much personality they displayed from a few interactions they had with the other customers. I would've liked more development on Sammy, Rikuo and Akiko's part though, especially concerning Akiko's emotionless state outside the cafe. Maybe some recognition of how jarring it would be to see someone you could socialise with turning mindless and expressionless the next time you see them.

Some unanswered questions too, of course. But I'm unsure whether they can be answered without a sequel or derailing from the setting of the human/robot cafe. It still progresses nearly all of the subplots up to a reasonable point anyway. Definitely a nuanced and expertly crafted movie.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» OVA VS movie (the movie does NOT have all the scenes from OVA)

KaeDeeSss - May 11, 2015

10 by waalex11 »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:48 AM

» 8 years, no sequel

JuanBaldez - Jan 22, 2018

12 by waalex11 »»
Jul 22, 2023 9:26 PM

» is chie human?

SwordWielder - Nov 28, 2010

8 by scarvig »»
Oct 21, 2022 7:42 PM

» Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve)

KaeDeeSss - May 11, 2015

3 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 19, 2015 3:04 AM

» Eve no Jikan ONA or Movie?

JEEESHH - Sep 13, 2014

9 by JetFury »»
Jan 23, 2015 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.