Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 25, 2021 7:08 PM

Apr 2012
The gothic like atmosphere and the mysterious aura surrounding it has gotten my attention. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Janethan23Apr 25, 2021 7:17 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 29, 2021 7:18 PM

Aug 2019
Too weird to be an enjoyable slice of life.
Will not be continuing this one.
Apr 29, 2021 7:18 PM

Aug 2019
Too weird to be an enjoyable slice of life.
Will not be continuing this one.
May 5, 2021 10:36 AM

Feb 2014
Going by the first few minutes, I thought this was going to be some grim derp chuuni shit with steampunk goth lolis. But I really liked the beginning of the episode. It's been a while since I've seen an anime that doesn't start with the MC rambling the introduction through exposition, like they're reading the opening of a book. This instead did all its introduction purely through visuals.

And this probably one of the weirdest premise I've seen. Also, is it just me or is this inspired by the whole chimney cleaning job that used to exist in Victorian era England which was done predominantly by children?
May 7, 2021 11:10 PM

May 2018
Emilico's initial noises made me uncomfortable. Cool concept and scenes so far.
May 9, 2021 11:28 PM

Oct 2020
It's not what I was thinking it would be like but I definitely like it and want to watch more. It also gives off the promised neverland vibes.
May 11, 2021 6:01 AM

Jun 2016
This first ep was a bit of a surprise. It was very relaxing, but it looks and feels like it should be more sinister. I really dig the background music. It fits neatly with the art style the show is going with.

As for characters so far, Emilico is super adorable, and Kate seems like a reliable, well-spoken master. Speaking of the master, the whole dynamic of master and servant between the characters feels rather odd and eerie, honestly. But I can get over that tho.
A-Simple-SquireMay 31, 2021 7:04 PM

May 20, 2021 10:17 PM

Aug 2013
Meh, this was such a missed opportunity. From the first few moments of the episode to the opening everything screams "HEY YO THIS IS GONNA GET DARK". I get that they were probably trying to grip the viewer's attention as the start of the manga is quite slow, and the visuals are truly beautiful, but the mystery surrounding everything in the manga and the time they took to build it before revealing anything was the best part for me, and the anime throws that out of the window right away.
May 21, 2021 2:00 AM

Aug 2018
Hmmm interesting.
The chapter was normal but the ending...hmm. It was good, let's see how it will continue. The opening and ending are good, especially the ending.
May 23, 2021 3:15 AM

Oct 2007
cute but creepy first episode.

Emilico cheerfulness makes a good contrast to the drab and dark surroundings. Kate seems like a nice person.

May 27, 2021 1:52 PM

May 2018
What the hell?! I'm not exactly sure what to make of this. There's some disturbing darkness (no pun intended) that's ever present, but softened up by Emilico's antics.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
May 29, 2021 10:27 PM
Oct 2019
that was great

to start, emilico is adorable. and kate is pretty interesting, too. there's also so much mystery and intrigue. how does emilico know certain things (that she's a doll and has to take care of her shadow, how to speak, etc) but doesn't know how to read or that she's supposed to eat, and is ignorant to many things shadow-related? that was her first day? so what was her existence prior to then? what the heck are these shadows? why do they emit soot at all? are dolls actually humans, despite what was said? all those letters/notes on emilico's wall...are those going to prove important once she's able to read better?

the house has this "house of horrors" kind of vibe to it, with the spinning door and the crazy steam pipe lever, etc. was emilico sleeping in a coffin bed? lol. obviously something is off. are shadows body snatchers? do they devour the dolls? idk obviously, but clearly something is "off" in this house

and that doll at the end that gave emilico the stink eye...

8/10 start fur sure
Jun 13, 2021 5:32 AM
Feb 2018
after watching 10th eps, the first 2 minutes of 1st eps is already spoiling it
Jun 13, 2021 6:51 AM

Sep 2020
Kinda amazed by those wings but yeah,aside from that,nothing special.
That upcoming dark drink episode looks interesting though.

I feel sorry for Shirley and Rum.
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Jun 27, 2021 6:12 AM

Mar 2010
A bit too much spunk emitting from emilico, but them shadow people are frightening with their expressionless faces, eek and oof

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 29, 2021 9:44 AM

Jun 2013
Seems like a good series with adorable and beautiful characters. I was about to read the manga but I'll most likely read it after I finish the Anime first.
臭い-
Jul 8, 2021 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
How the hell have I gone through the whole season without knowing this show existed? This is by far my favorite first episode of the season, from the unique setting to the atmosphere to the creepy undertone. Even the OP/ED are superb.

All those talks about Vivy and Odd Taxi being underrated when anime like this existed and I heard literally no one mentioning it lol.
Aug 5, 2021 2:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I came in blind to this, was pretty confused for the first half but ended up enjoying it and definitely interested to see where it goes.
The doll's name is retarded, Emilia would have been BETTER.
Aug 10, 2021 8:03 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting and unique slice-of-life so far, bit of a dark creepy vibe to it but so far really wholesome to see shadow Kate together with her living doll Emilico.

Aug 29, 2021 10:58 AM

Feb 2018
Emilico is way too cheerful meanwhile Kate isn't. So far this looks interesting!
Feb 6, 2022 3:56 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I remember watching watching half of this episode last spring it was airing, and deciding not to watch it because I thought it was boring. I probably was just swamped with a lot of other anime I wanted to watch at the time.

Now that I've really cleared up my plan to watch list, I'm taking it more easy, really just watching the anime I truly want to watch, and taking it slow. Now that I can appreciate things more easily now, I can say this: dang. Speaking strictly on the visuals, Shadows House is beautiful. Just about every entry that Cloverworks pumps out is a stunner. At the very least, they look better than your average anime.

Besides the pretty visuals and the ed which I now know why was nominated for best ed, I am genuinely intrigued and curious to know more about this world. I'm sure I'll love it as much as everybody else, and am glad that the next season is just a couple seasons away.

Also, going back to the spring 2021 page, it still is quite low in the popularity ranking even though it has finished airing and has been pretty much only positively received by audiences. It's a shame that anime like this receive less recognition than all the junk that is above it, popularity-wise. Like higehiro also aired at the same time and is near the top of list, with currently triple the MAL members that shadows house has. Sad face. But that's the reality of the world of anime for you I guess.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 16, 2022 6:33 AM

Jul 2021
I was expecting something that's hugely thrilling but ironically it was some Emilico and Kate interaction over the course of their living as a different sided people. Emilico as a doll and Kate as a shadow. I do think the latter will get darker and somewhat tragic but hey let's just enjoy this until the day it lasts!

I'm currently reading the manga and watching the anime in between and I definitely assure that there are a lot of chapters skipped and the adaptation overall has an interesting direction that is better than the manga but in some way the content from the manga would be essential incase there is any plothole and such.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 29, 2022 8:03 AM

Apr 2016
Well, that was more boring than I would have expected but I like the art design.
May 1, 2022 2:26 AM
Jun 2020
Do you know that the origin of Shadows house's the first opening is the Masquerade of Aram Khachaturian?
Jul 4, 2022 5:35 PM

Aug 2008
Incredibly boring and that blonde girl was incredibly annoying. I'll give this the 3 ep rule though, see if it improves.
Jul 7, 2022 6:53 PM
Jun 2019
I don't know why, but something seems very sus, especially with that ending song.
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Jul 24, 2022 12:11 AM

May 2020
No idea what's this show about except there'll be a lot of shadows, well that's in the name itself so yeah. Though kinda feeling for Emilico, it's not easy to be around such a creep atmosphere lol. Anyways decent start.

Also ED slaps.
Aug 14, 2022 5:20 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
The OP and ED are amazing. Good animation although the artstyle is not really my type. Holy mother of god is Emilico annoying... I can't stand that voice and exaggerated noises but the story is unusual and it left me wondering so I'll keep watching, I hope they manage to pull it off. Strong Promised Neverland vibes, not only the artstyle but the tone of it as well.. is it by the same author?

Aug 25, 2022 1:22 PM
Aug 2021
it was kinda weird in an uncomfy way
Aug 29, 2022 12:16 AM

Jun 2009
Let the beautiful loli yuri mistress/servant ship sail!
Sep 26, 2022 6:28 AM

Jul 2016
Picked this up on a recommendation and I have to say, I'm intrigued.

I hope it gets darker, the first episode is pretty lighthearted.

OP/ED are bangers though.
Oct 2, 2022 10:17 AM

Dec 2019
got bored might pick up again
@#$%^&*()#$%^&*(
Dec 12, 2022 11:01 AM

Dec 2019
Okay guys - I am hooked. Somehow though I don't think she's a doll
Feb 6, 2023 9:45 AM
May 2016
Maybe things get explained later, but the maid character seemed too ditzy. Like she knew somethings, but not others, seemingly just to make her more likable or as a stand in for the audience.
I don't know, just didn't click with me
Feb 19, 2023 12:10 PM

Sep 2015
binged through 50 chapters today before watching this.

The most noticeable difference is that the manga started way more mysterious without any "preview" of the whole premise while you slowly piece them together along the way. Meanwhile, the first 2 minutes of this episode already hinted to us about some kind of cultish thing going on and how the dolls are being treated. Not a fan of getting spoon-fed on a mystery genre.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Apr 28, 2023 8:44 PM

Oct 2022
The overarching mystery is already really intriguing. It felt kind of like eerie supernatural game-ish here it looks so unique.

Jul 8, 2023 5:11 AM

Dec 2022
Emilico is much more bright and cheery compared to Kate, despite being her "face". Might've been an intentional design choice for the doll, when I think about it.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 13, 2023 3:16 AM

Dec 2013
The opening song is fire! Love it. Wow Kate is really mysterious but I can say she's a good girl. Emilyko is a breath of fresh air. Are the dolls made similar to their masters, physically?

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 17, 2023 8:48 PM
Aug 2020
good starter episode, making me wanna know more
Aug 4, 2023 3:32 AM
Aug 2023
I've just finished this story, it's really good! I hope they will continue making seasons 3
Dec 2, 2023 9:58 PM

Nov 2023
Well I guess we now know where did Conny from TPN has been reincarnated to
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

128 by Karva1 »»
Mar 31, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 6, 2023 12:45 AM

» I hate Barbie For Eternity.

KhoaVN - Oct 27, 2023

9 by ichihito »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

125 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2021

62 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.