Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 10, 2015 12:56 PM

Jul 2013
Dopu said:
I've some artstyles that I dislike, but now that I think about it those are usually from shows I dislike. So I don't know if it's really the art that I dislike or just seeing those characters.

Anyway:

That scene was one of the worst looking things I've seen.

Don't surpass this:

Nov 10, 2015 12:59 PM

Aug 2015
Aku no Hana.
Nov 10, 2015 1:01 PM

Jan 2013
All people who say Aku no Hana should give the manga a chance
Nov 10, 2015 1:07 PM

May 2014
It will always be Aku no Hana...
I nearly cried when I watched that first episode, both from extreme fits of laughter and extreme despair and disappointment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2015 1:18 PM

Oct 2014
I'm sorry but watching this made my eyes bleed

Nov 10, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
RedTie said:

Outside of the action, the art is bad. It has no elegance of realism or minimalist charm or, well, anything. I can't find any beauty in the rough sketchiness or an interesting visual idea.

>realism

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To be honest, I think I'm one of the few that actually found Ping Pongs art strangely charming and unique. I actually loved it.
"Hi!"
Nov 10, 2015 2:32 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
Art style doesn't matter?

So would you watch anime if there were all stickmen?

Even stickmen can have their moments.

If there were more series like the last four, then yes. A great story can transcend visuals even if visuals are of some importance.
TripleSRankNov 10, 2015 2:37 PM
Nov 10, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
Illyricus said:
Dopu said:
I've some artstyles that I dislike, but now that I think about it those are usually from shows I dislike. So I don't know if it's really the art that I dislike or just seeing those characters.

Anyway:

That scene was one of the worst looking things I've seen.

Don't surpass this:

Lol

What show is that from
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 10, 2015 3:05 PM

Jul 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Illyricus said:

Don't surpass this:

Lol

What show is that from

It's from the first few minutes of episode 9 (if I remember it correctly) of Mekakucity Actors. The other episodes all look like standard Shinbou stuff (though perhaps a bit low budget), but for some reason they thought that it was a good idea to go with whatever the fck this was supposed to be for one song.
Nov 10, 2015 3:25 PM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Art style doesn't matter?

So would you watch anime if there were all stickmen?

If there were more series like the last four, then yes. A great story can transcend visuals even if visuals are of some importance.

A show can't 'transcend' visuals because they're a part of how the story is told. A book can't 'transcend' its prose either.

A show can have shitty art and still be good, just like it can have a shitty story but everything else will make it enjoyable. Still, every part matters and affects the story somehow.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 10, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

A show can't 'transcend' visuals because they're a part of how the story is told. A book can't 'transcend' its prose either.

A show can have crapy art and still be good, just like it can have a crapy story but everything else will make it enjoyable. Still, every part matters and affects the story somehow.

Where did I say "show"? I'm quite certain I said "story". There's a big difference: There are many ideas and concepts that cannot be portrayed by sight alone. Anime is as much a storytelling medium as it is a visual one, if not more so. So yes, an anime's story can indeed transcend one individual method used to convey it (the visuals). Prose just happens to encompass multiple methods indirectly.

Your wording is biased when you ask if visuals don't matter. They do-- but not as much as the story itself. Otherwise you may as well visit an art museum or watch animated music videos muted.

I hope you will note the irony in my argument, in comparison to the argument that those who value story more should just read books.
Nov 10, 2015 6:54 PM

Jan 2015
Bakemonogatari.
Nov 10, 2015 11:22 PM

Feb 2014
I would say Kemonozume without a doubt. I mean the art style was kinda ugly but the worst part of it must be the animation that sucks so much. The perspectives are so weird and the animation often lacks of frame rate etc.It's like Ping Pong but far worth. TLDR: it's ugly as fuck which is bad since the story is really cool.

Also, Kaiba and Tatamy Galaxy have original and great art style that deserve the story and the animation is flawless in both case.
Nov 10, 2015 11:40 PM

Apr 2013
Kanokon characters look horrible, they can't even breathe because they don't have a nose.
Nov 11, 2015 1:59 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

A show can have crapy art and still be good, just like it can have a crapy story but everything else will make it enjoyable. Still, every part matters and affects the story somehow.

Where did I say "show"? I'm quite certain I said "story". There's a big difference: There are many ideas and concepts that cannot be portrayed by sight alone. Anime is as much a storytelling medium as it is a visual one, if not more so. So yes, an anime's story can indeed transcend one individual method used to convey it (the visuals). Prose just happens to encompass multiple methods indirectly.

Your wording is biased when you ask if visuals don't matter. They do-- but not as much as the story itself. Otherwise you may as well visit an art museum or watch animated music videos muted.

I hope you will note the irony in my argument, in comparison to the argument that those who value story more should just read books.

I used 'show' instead of 'anime' because it's more comfortable, although now that you clear it up I understand you better.

Anime's visuals are one way in which the story is conveyed. Sound is another. Pacing is another.

I don't think that the method aren't as important as the story itself, because the methods define the story. If an anime overcomes a shitty art style, it was because it had other methods. In Ping Pong, it overcome the art style because it also had vibrant action scenes, tight pacing and a focus on a variety of characters.
Nov 11, 2015 7:22 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

I used 'show' instead of 'anime' because it's more comfortable, although now that you clear it up I understand you better.

Anime's visuals are one way in which the story is conveyed. Sound is another. Pacing is another.

I don't think that the method aren't as important as the story itself, because the methods define the story. If an anime overcomes a shitty art style, it was because it had other methods. In Ping Pong, it overcome the art style because it also had vibrant action scenes, tight pacing and a focus on a variety of characters.

What idea is presented and how it is presented (figuratively) can indeed be greater than the (literal) method used to present it. A story's structure and content can often be delivered in a variety of methods (which is why adaptations can exist in the first place), and it is that core non-method-dependent content that I am referring to when I say that the story is more important. Of course, you can argue that a given story can be conveyed better or more poignantly with a specific method or group of methods, but I would still argue that the base idea or ideas that are being conveyed are more important than how it's conveyed.

This is the heart of the style vs. substance argument, actually. The delivery method is the style; the content is the substance. I personally am a strong advocate of substance even though I can appreciate style.
Nov 11, 2015 7:27 PM

Sep 2015
Nov 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Oct 2012
I'd rather watch Ping Pong the Animation styled art than the Dorito-faced senpai's that plague shoujo anime. CLAMP, and its associated triangular dorito faced shoujo artstyles are some of the grossest looking things ever. Its literally the #1 reason i cant go anywhere near most shoujo anime, even if i want to.
Nov 11, 2015 7:38 PM

Jun 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
I'd rather watch Ping Pong the Animation styled art than the Dorito-faced senpai's that plague shoujo anime. CLAMP, and its associated triangular dorito faced shoujo artstyles are some of the grossest looking things ever. Its literally the #1 reason i cant go anywhere near most shoujo anime, even if i want to.

Old school shoujo Anime has more natural shaped faces. Maybe you should try some of them.

Nov 11, 2015 7:57 PM
May 2015
Clkannad easily
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2015 8:03 PM

Feb 2013
I really like when something has a unique and recognizable art style that sets it apart from others, and I can tell who the artists are from it. Seems a lot of people in this thread think different and not cliche/normal is usually bad.

I'm not even gonna get started on all the One Piece art style haters that were obvious to come.

So yeah, nothing in particular. I guess just a boring/cliche and forgettable art style is what I dislike.
Nov 11, 2015 8:10 PM

Mar 2015
Eden2307 said:
I really like when something has a unique and recognizable art style that sets it apart from others, and I can tell who the artists are from it. Seems a lot of people in this thread think different and not cliche/normal is usually bad.

I'm not even gonna get started on all the One Piece art style haters that were obvious to come.

So yeah, nothing in particular. I guess just a boring/cliche and forgettable art style is what I dislike.
there is different between banormally good and abnormaly bad. witch craft works and redline is different, yet rarely people hate it, because it's different in good ways. but yeah, some of those hate are overexagrated. but still, art style is subjective point.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 11, 2015 8:24 PM

Feb 2013
Kuma said:
Eden2307 said:

there is different between banormally good and abnormaly bad. witch craft works and redline is different, yet rarely people hate it, because it's different in good ways. but yeah, some of those hate are overexagrated. but still, art style is subjective point.
It's all subjective, and everyone has different taste. I just still kinda hate how people will say something's art style isn't good, simply because they can't appreciate it. One Piece is a huge example, but definitely not the only one.
Nov 12, 2015 2:02 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What idea is presented and how it is presented (figuratively) can indeed be greater than the (literal) method used to present it. A story's structure and content can often be delivered in a variety of methods (which is why adaptations can exist in the first place), and it is that core non-method-dependent content that I am referring to when I say that the story is more important. Of course, you can argue that a given story can be conveyed better or more poignantly with a specific method or group of methods, but I would still argue that the base idea or ideas that are being conveyed are more important than how it's conveyed.

This is the heart of the style vs. substance argument, actually. The delivery method is the style; the content is the substance. I personally am a strong advocate of substance even though I can appreciate style.

I'm not sure. I found a lot of content in Future Diary, but the style is too haphazard, the pacing is too fast and none of it was explored. I also find interesting ideas in Mushishi, but its presentation was too cold and disconnected from its characters that it left it unexplored too.

You can explain an idea using the right words or big huge words that will just confuse the reader. Both say the same thing, but one helps you understand the other doesn't. Style is part of the substance.
Nov 12, 2015 8:12 AM

Mar 2015
Nov 12, 2015 8:16 AM

Sep 2013
Ping Pong.

I be like
Irrelative said:
I hope no one says Ping Pong.

TOO GODDAMN BAD
Nov 12, 2015 11:20 AM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

I'm not sure. I found a lot of content in Future Diary, but the style is too haphazard, the pacing is too fast and none of it was explored. I also find interesting ideas in Mushishi, but its presentation was too cold and disconnected from its characters that it left it unexplored too.

You can explain an idea using the right words or big huge words that will just confuse the reader. Both say the same thing, but one helps you understand the other doesn't. Style is part of the substance.

Pacing is part of the core content that is medium-independent (aka style-independent); some methods of presentation may make a given pacing easier to work with, but that doesn't make pacing suddenly become the literal prose vs. visuals type of presentation-- it is the figurative type of presentation contained within the core story.

Usage of terms is likewise part of the core story. Whether you narrate through prose in a book or have a narrator audibly speak it in an anime; it's still the same content-- just in a different method of presentation. The same is true of dialogue: The same content is there; it's just presented differently.

Also, "big words" =/= bad. Precise words exist to convey the exact meaning intended. Misuse of words is bad, but your analogy doesn't work with that because that's a fault of the core content rather than evidence that style and substance are the same.

It sounds like you are indeed confusing style with substance. They are not one and the same by any stretch. You're just arguing that some styles are better than others when my argument has not to do with the best style, but of the relative importance of style compared to the actual content (substance).
TripleSRankNov 12, 2015 11:24 AM
Nov 12, 2015 11:40 AM

May 2015
Key's fish eyes are godawful.
Nov 12, 2015 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
YEEART said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Outside of the action, the art is bad. It has no elegance of realism or minimalist charm or, well, anything. I can't find any beauty in the rough sketchiness or an interesting visual idea.

>realism

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To be honest, I think I'm one of the few that actually found Ping Pongs art strangely charming and unique. I actually loved it.

Ping Pong is not supposed to be beautiful. It is free and I like the way it is used to represent some feelings (expressionism?) and it's realistic tone. I loved it. I love things that aren't just more of the same generic shit.
The worst art is still clannad to me, I laugh when I see those images lol.
Burrito_UzumakiNov 12, 2015 2:54 PM
Nov 12, 2015 1:38 PM

Jun 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:

I freaking lost it, where is this from? Deen?
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 12, 2015 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
Dimitrije1606 said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

I freaking lost it, where is this from? Deen?

Yes. Deen always find a way.
Nov 12, 2015 1:44 PM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Pacing is part of the core content that is medium-independent (aka style-independent); some methods of presentation may make a given pacing easier to work with, but that doesn't make pacing suddenly become the literal prose vs. visuals type of presentation-- it is the figurative type of presentation contained within the core story.

Usage of terms is likewise part of the core story. Whether you narrate through prose in a book or have a narrator audibly speak it in an anime; it's still the same content-- just in a different method of presentation. The same is true of dialogue: The same content is there; it's just presented differently.

Also, "big words" =/= bad. Precise words exist to convey the exact meaning intended. Misuse of words is bad, but your analogy doesn't work with that because that's a fault of the core content rather than evidence that style and substance are the same.

It sounds like you are indeed confusing style with substance. They are not one and the same by any stretch. You're just arguing that some styles are better than others when my argument has not to do with the best style, but of the relative importance of style compared to the actual content (substance).

Pacing isn't part of the core content. It's part of the style. Erin and Mushishi have a slower pace to fit their calm atmosphere, whereas Future Diary has a fast pace to fit its paranoaic thriller atmosphere. It's a stylistic choice.

The style of narration affects the story. You can tell it deadpan, dramatically, quickly or slowly. It will affect how we perceive it.

Big words aren't bad in and of themselves, but a person can use a dense writing style. This style can get so dense it'll be hard to get to the meaning.

I'm not sure you can separate style from substance, because a lot of the substance is filtered through the style. Content can't exist without it.

RE: realism in Ping Pong. I don't get it. What's realistic about a horribly depressed dude being a champion of table tennis?
Nov 12, 2015 1:50 PM

May 2015
Clannad. Ew.
Nov 12, 2015 5:59 PM

Mar 2015
Eden2307 said:
Kuma said:
It's all subjective, and everyone has different taste. I just still kinda hate how people will say something's art style isn't good, simply because they can't appreciate it. One Piece is a huge example, but definitely not the only one.
people dislike one piece art style kinda understable. but hate it is kinda pure hate.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 12, 2015 6:08 PM

May 2014
Nov 12, 2015 6:18 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

Pacing isn't part of the core content. It's part of the style. Erin and Mushishi have a slower pace to fit their calm atmosphere, whereas Future Diary has a fast pace to fit its paranoaic thriller atmosphere. It's a stylistic choice.

The style of narration affects the story. You can tell it deadpan, dramatically, quickly or slowly. It will affect how we perceive it.

Big words aren't bad in and of themselves, but a person can use a dense writing style. This style can get so dense it'll be hard to get to the meaning.

I'm not sure you can separate style from substance, because a lot of the substance is filtered through the style. Content can't exist without it.

RE: realism in Ping Pong. I don't get it. What's realistic about a horribly depressed dude being a champion of table tennis?

You're using style to refer to two separate things, one of which is figurative and the other of which is literal. Figurative presentation involves core, medium-independent aspects of the story such as the pacing, dialogue, type of narration, the actual events that take place (the plot), the character's personality, etc. This can all be shown and presented literally through many methods-- prose (books), images and text (comics), images, text, and sound (animation/live action), etc.

Anything that can be translated from one medium to another is part of the content or substance. You can show a picture of a person in a comic or describe them in a book, but they're the same idea in both cases. You can have dialogue in both an anime and a book. The pacing can be identical in both an anime and a comic. Music can be described or presented in multiple formats. So on and so forth. That is all part of the substance because it can be the same in multiple forms of presentation (mediums, or styles). The only thing style can do is intensify or make more poignant the ideas contained within the content: For example, visually showing a chain breaking as a symbol could potentially (though not necessarily) be more emotive than describing it in a book, but that doesn't change the content itself (the symbol, a breaking chain).

This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.
Nov 13, 2015 12:36 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You're using style to refer to two separate things, one of which is figurative and the other of which is literal. Figurative presentation involves core, medium-independent aspects of the story such as the pacing, dialogue, type of narration, the actual events that take place (the plot), the character's personality, etc. This can all be shown and presented literally through many methods-- prose (books), images and text (comics), images, text, and sound (animation/live action), etc.

Anything that can be translated from one medium to another is part of the content or substance. You can show a picture of a person in a comic or describe them in a book, but they're the same idea in both cases. You can have dialogue in both an anime and a book. The pacing can be identical in both an anime and a comic. Music can be described or presented in multiple formats. So on and so forth. That is all part of the substance because it can be the same in multiple forms of presentation (mediums, or styles). The only thing style can do is intensify or make more poignant the ideas contained within the content: For example, visually showing a chain breaking as a symbol could potentially (though not necessarily) be more emotive than describing it in a book, but that doesn't change the content itself (the symbol, a breaking chain).

This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

Drawing a character and describing it are two different things. Drawing gives you an exact look. Describing something should give you an idea of what it feels like (Precise descriptions nearly always fail. See also: Game of Thrones).

The same with music. Sensory information can't be exactly described or else deafness/blindess wouldn't be so terrible.

Other than that, some things will exist in all mediums, I agree - events, dialogue, characters. Still, how good the content is depends on the style. Saw's stylistic choices of industrial-like atmosphere (Industrial rock soundtrack, everything having a rusty metal look) gives it a personality that makes it more fun than any other Torture Porn film.

Digimon Tamers wouldn't work without the stylistic visual design of the D-Reaper. It needed this creepy, cyber-alien visual style to emphasize how the D-Reaper is.

Pi needed black-and-white and fast cuts to emphasize Max Cohen's black-n-white worldview and quick but neurotic brain. The content would be there even if you directed it like Mushishi, but it wouldn't be as good.
Nov 14, 2015 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
Drawing a character and describing it are two different things. Drawing gives you an exact look. Describing something should give you an idea of what it feels like (Precise descriptions nearly always fail. See also: Game of Thrones).

Of course they are two different things-- and I'm saying those things are styles. They are two different ways of (literally) presenting the content. What the character looks like is the same; it's just how that is conveyed.

Precise descriptions do not nearly always "fail" either, whatever that is supposed to mean. If you wish to pursue this line of argument you need to explain what you mean by "fail" and further qualify your claim rather than dropping a reference in passing.

TheBrainintheJar said:
The same with music. Sensory information can't be exactly described or else deafness/blindess wouldn't be so terrible.

First of all, this is a false equivalation because a deaf or blind person by birth wouldn't understand sight or sound as a normal person would in the first place. A seeing and hearing person can read descriptions and sense/understand them indirectly. Also, as an aside, saying that's why deafness or blindness is so bad seems rather insensitive since the issue arises from day-to-day activities which requires those senses along with social stigmas, rather than consuming fiction (of all things).

You continue to illustrate the difference in style (presenting directly vs. indirectly), but that, again, doesn't change the content-- if a violin is being played in the story, it's being played in the story no matter how you present it stylistically: Whether you convey it directly through audio or indirectly through a description or image doesn't change that a violin is being played. The violin's music can exist in all of the mediums we've mentioned; it's just conveyed differently depending on the medium/style.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Other than that, some things will exist in all mediums, I agree - events, dialogue, characters. Still, how good the content is depends on the style. Saw's stylistic choices of industrial-like atmosphere (Industrial rock soundtrack, everything having a rusty metal look) gives it a personality that makes it more fun than any other Torture Porn film.

Digimon Tamers wouldn't work without the stylistic visual design of the D-Reaper. It needed this creepy, cyber-alien visual style to emphasize how the D-Reaper is.

Pi needed black-and-white and fast cuts to emphasize Max Cohen's black-n-white worldview and quick but neurotic brain. The content would be there even if you directed it like Mushishi, but it wouldn't be as good.

I already stated in an earlier post "Of course, you can argue that a given story can be conveyed better or more poignantly with a specific method or group of methods, but I would still argue that the base idea or ideas that are being conveyed are more important than how it's conveyed."

This is your current argument-- that certain styles can better benefit some stories than other styles might. Given that, I'm inclined to argue that most stories could be told equally well regardless of style and that bias toward a given style is what makes one style seem better suited than another-- but it is with this caveat that I agree with you. Even so, I would like to note that this is a modifying effect: That is, even if we assume a given style could factually convey a story in a better, easier to understand, or more emotive way than other styles, this still only affects the "surface" presentation. It doesn't make the style (method of presentation) and the substance (presentation-independent content) one and the same; it just makes the substance easier to digest/more emotive/etc. It doesn't replace the substance or overcome the significance of the substance since the substance can be "bad" or "good" independent of the specific style used to convey it, whereas the style itself is meaningless without the substance. Hence my view that substance is more important than style.
TripleSRankNov 14, 2015 8:25 PM
Nov 15, 2015 12:57 AM
Mar 2012
Noseless not always moe
Nov 15, 2015 1:14 AM

Jun 2014
Code Geass.... British looked sick
Nov 15, 2015 1:33 AM

Jul 2015
[size=200]Serial Experiments Lain[/size]
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Jun 2

43 by LoveYourSmile »»
1 minute ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 6 hours ago

18 by iirayuki »»
3 minutes ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

175 by Yakazi »»
5 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard

removed-user - Jun 2

42 by PeripheralVision »»
25 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

97 by Lhundrup »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.