New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 12, 2015 7:17 AM

Mar 2012
Inferno_Cop said:
tsudecimo said:

whoa :o

Zerg before _nil

Well _nil left MAL after getting accepted in Howard so yeah Zurg is now in top 3 "active smartest forum users".
All time top 10 list will be different though.

What Zurg??
Apr 12, 2015 7:23 AM

Dec 2014
bcz it reminds of star wars
Apr 12, 2015 7:48 AM

Apr 2014
Gintama objectively has the better fanbase.
Apr 12, 2015 7:50 AM

Nov 2014
Lollo36 said:
LogH is about as smart as Code Geass, but since no one has actually watched it, LogH fans can pretend that they're superior by saying that they like such a deep and intellectual masterpiece.
Yea, not once while watching Code Geass, did I think it was an inherently smart show. I love it cause it's a blast to watch.
Apr 12, 2015 8:19 AM

Dec 2013
All the fanboys who hype LoGH just discourage me from getting started on it. Whether it's good or not, I'll end up being more critical about it.
Zetto92Apr 12, 2015 8:43 AM
Apr 12, 2015 8:32 AM

Nov 2012
GoldSlash said:

Zeta986 said:

So what was the most perfect video game ever? is it Call of Duty?

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are better imo.
Apr 12, 2015 8:32 AM

May 2013
LoGH is pretty awful. Space nazis vs "democracy hurr durr" that use battleaxes over a thousand years into the future. The battle tactics are as has been said above comparable to Code Geass playground-level warfare. Plot armour is ridiculous, all enemy soldiers have worse aim than storm troopers when they're shooting at main characters anyone of any significance whatsoever. It's more black and white than Akame ga Kill when it comes to religion, holy fuck the Terraists are just awful. It also promotes the intake of dangerous substances like alcohol, disgusting.
Apr 12, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2015
Kokko said:
LoGH is pretty awful. Space nazis vs "democracy hurr durr" that use battleaxes over a thousand years into the future. Plot armour is ridiculous, all enemy soldiers have worse aim than storm troopers when they're shooting at main characters. It's more black and white than Akame ga Kill when it comes to religion, holy fuck the Terraists are just awful. It also promotes the intake of dangerous substances like alcohol, disgusting.
Space Nazis??? I'm sold I will watch dis
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 12, 2015 8:35 AM

May 2013
Remv_quevav said:
Kokko said:
LoGH is pretty awful. Space nazis vs "democracy hurr durr" that use battleaxes over a thousand years into the future. The battle tactics are as has been said above comparable to Code Geass playground-level warfare. Plot armour is ridiculous, all enemy soldiers have worse aim than storm troopers when they're shooting at main characters anyone of any significance whatsoever. It's more black and white than Akame ga Kill when it comes to religion, holy fuck the Terraists are just awful. It also promotes the intake of dangerous substances like alcohol, disgusting.

I think they might have even used this tactic twice in the series. Master-level strategy.
Apr 12, 2015 8:49 AM

Jun 2013
I feel like I missed the part where the people who watch LoGH think they're smart.
Apr 12, 2015 9:01 AM

Oct 2008
Apr 12, 2015 9:03 AM

Mar 2014
Zetto92 said:
All the fanboys who hype LoGH just discourage me from getting started on it. Whether it's good or not, I'll end up being more critical about it.

Don't be like that. I highly doubt that you know anyone in real life who is a fanboy of LOGH, so people online shouldn't discourage you from watching a cartoon.

Kokko said:
Remv_quevav said:

I think they might have even used this tactic twice in the series. Master-level strategy.

amateur said:

Damn, straight.
Apr 12, 2015 9:24 AM
Sep 2007
Trolling and joking aside, and I don't know about people claiming that they are smart because they watch LOGH, but I really can't think of any other anime title as good as this.
Apr 12, 2015 9:28 AM

Dec 2014
Halo and Mass Effect is better
Apr 12, 2015 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
Kokko said:
Remv_quevav said:

Tbh exactly what i thought on the first episodes.

Circles>> Squares, we win!!! Tbh were another geometrics figures fightings.
Apr 12, 2015 10:01 AM

Mar 2014
Psajdak said:
Trolling and joking aside, and I don't know about people claiming that they are smart because they watch LOGH, but I really can't think of any other anime title as good as this.

Texhnolyze is better than LOGH.
Apr 12, 2015 10:01 AM

Nov 2008
Holy crap, Legend of the Galactic Heroes haters are obnoxious pricks. I don't see fans claiming to be smart, but there sure are a lot of people who try to belittle them.
sullynathan said:
Zeta986 said:
This is what i learned in MAL.

Most of try-hard elitist in this forums were claiming it as the 2nd coming of Christ.

If i should compare it to stones, LOGH is the equivalent to Philosopher Stone.
If i should compare it to cars, LOGH is the equivalent to Lamborghini Veneno.
If i should compare it to Dinosaurs, LOGH is the equivalent to T-Rex.
If i should compare it to scientists, LOGH is the equivalent to Albert Einstein.
If i should compare it to movies, LOGH is the equivalent to The Shawshank Redemption.
If i should compare it to video games, LOGH is the equivalent to Skyrim Elder Scrolls.
If i should compare it to books, LOGH is the equivalent to Lord of the Flies.
If i should compare it to Warships, LOGH is the equivalent to Nimitz Class USA.
If i should compare it to stars, LOGH is the equivalent to VY Canis Majoris.

Skyrim isn't a good game.
Indeed. It's quantity over quality, and a lot of that quantity is just copied and randomly generated throughout the game.

Apr 12, 2015 10:04 AM

Jul 2014
sullynathan said:

Skyrim is no Morrowind, but it's objectively the second best AAA video game of all time.

Also, why isn't the ignore user script working anymore >_<
Apr 12, 2015 10:04 AM

Mar 2014
Ezekiel said:
Holy crap, Legend of the Galactic Heroes haters are obnoxious pricks. I don't see fans claiming to be smart, but there sure are a lot of people who try to belittle them.
sullynathan said:

Indeed. It's quantity over quality, and a lot of that quantity is just copied and randomly generated throughout the game.

Combat in Elder Scrolls games in general should be redone from the ground up. It's just too annoying. Also, Bethsoft should focus less on caves and make the outside world more interesting and have more quests there.
Apr 12, 2015 10:05 AM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
Psajdak said:

Texhnolyze is better than LOGH.

That's not saying much though.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 12, 2015 10:05 AM

Mar 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
sullynathan said:

Skyrim is no Morrowind, but it's objectively the second best AAA video game of all time.

Also, why isn't the ignore user script working anymore >_<

I've played morrowind for like 10 minutes so I won't compare but damn Skyrim is just a mess at times.
Apr 12, 2015 10:07 AM

Mar 2015
i think mushishi have more philosophy rather than LOGH.

i want to watch full LOGH, but i only find good translator until episode 2, rest are google translator.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 12, 2015 10:08 AM

Mar 2014
It doesn't, I'd go as far as to say it actually makes them less intelligent because they wasted so much time on something that looks old as fuck.
Apr 12, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
Unyilkdr said:

i want to watch full LOGH, but i only find good translator until episode 2, rest are google translator.

No need to bring something as amazing as Mushishi in a discussion concerning stuff like LoGH or Tex tbh.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apr 12, 2015 10:10 AM

Mar 2013
i guess i wasted hours of my life watching the whole series
Apr 12, 2015 10:13 AM

Mar 2015
Bully-kun said:
Unyilkdr said:

No need to bring something as amazing as Mushishi in a discussion concerning stuff like LoGH or Tex tbh.

thats because people think they are smart beacuse understand knowladge about political and scientic stuff, try sociality practice knowladge to understand. it harder bro, because you must know how sociality works first, and it only can learned form social experience. best example are mushishi and kino no tabi.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 12, 2015 10:19 AM

Nov 2008
Unyilkdr said:
thats because people think they are smart beacuse understand knowladge about political and scientic stuff, try sociality practice knowladge to understand. it harder bro, because you must know how sociality works first, and it only can learned form social experience. best example are mushishi and kino no tabi.
Mushishi is a good show that mostly gets apathy from me. Kino's Journey is obvious and has a bland protagonist. She barely appears to care, so why should I?

Apr 12, 2015 10:22 AM

Mar 2015
Ezekiel said:
Unyilkdr said:
Mushishi is a good show that mostly gets apathy from me. Kino's Journey is obvious.

maybe because kino no tabi get me every time, thats why i drop it. it massage are already see it too many times in my day. and for mushishi: damn, their massage are so deep, in every single episode, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!
KumaApr 12, 2015 10:30 AM
Apr 12, 2015 10:47 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know about 'intelligent', but I know a fan who said it turned him into faggot. See above images for evidence.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 12, 2015 10:53 AM

Jan 2013
RedRoseFring said:
I don't know about 'intelligent', but I know a fan who said it turned him into faggot. See above images for evidence.

You've gotten awfully cheeky recently.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apr 12, 2015 11:30 AM
Apr 2014
RedRoseFring said:
I blame it on the Reinhard x Kircheis undertones in Part 1.
Apr 12, 2015 11:50 AM
Apr 2008
PoeticJustice said:
I would like to preface this by saying that I do in fact enjoy the show.

I noticed that a group of people think that watching and enjoying LOGH makes them "elite," or whatever. There are exceptions with people like Higashi, aeonic, gholy, and Yeezus, who are cool people. But generally, I noticed that LOGH has a fanbase full of people who think they are the arbiters of good taste. Has anyone else on MAL noticed this phenomenon? Why do people think that enjoying this show in particular makes them more intelligent than say....someone who enjoys Naruto or Sword Art Online?
Yay, I get a mention as a cool person. It's not my birthday last time I checked. Anyway back to the topic at hand, they're many anime series that have intelligent themes. I just happen to be biased towards space opera shows and political thrillers. Legend of the Galactic Heroes fits my biased criteria, it also a very well-written show with interesting topics relating to democracy, constitutionalism, the price of war to civilians, the corrupt nature of politics and the two men that embody two opposite perspectives on how people should be governed.
Apr 12, 2015 11:54 AM

Jan 2013
Aeonic said:
PoeticJustice said:

I noticed that a group of people think that watching and enjoying LOGH makes them "elite," or whatever. There are exceptions with people like Higashi, aeonic, gholy, and Yeezus, who are cool people. But generally, I noticed that LOGH has a fanbase full of people who think they are the arbiters of good taste. Has anyone else on MAL noticed this phenomenon? Why do people think that enjoying this show in particular makes them more intelligent than say....someone who enjoys Naruto or Sword Art Online?
Yay, I get a mention as a cool person. It's not my birthday last time I checked. Anyway back to the topic at hand, they're many anime series that have intelligent themes. I just happen to be biased towards space opera shows and political thrillers. Legend of the Galactic Heroes fits my biased criteria, it also a very well-written show with interesting topics relating to democracy, constitutionalism, the price of war to civilians, the corrupt nature of politics and the two men that embody two opposite perspectives on how people should be governed.

You can say all the pretty words you like but the fact is LoGH is basically a Reinhard x Kircheis semi yaoi for the first part, Reinhard x Yang hardcore yaoi for the middle part, and Oberstein x dog for the final part.
See, nothing intelligent at all here.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apr 12, 2015 11:58 AM
Apr 2008
Bully-kun said:
Aeonic said:

You can say all the pretty words you like but the fact is LoGH is basically a Reinhard x Kircheis semi yaoi for the first part, Reinhard x Yang hardcore yaoi for the middle part, and Oberstein x dog for the final part.
See, nothing intelligent at all here.
I'm bi-sexual so.....I love the semi-yaoi part lol. I didn't know oberstein was into animals, that explains so much. Stop bullying me, bully-kun.
Apr 12, 2015 1:00 PM

Feb 2010
Aria-da-Capo said:
PoeticJustice said:

I noticed that a group of people think that watching and enjoying LOGH makes them "elite," or whatever. There are exceptions with people like Higashi

Ironically he is the admin of the 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes Elitist' club though.

Admittedly that club might be part of why LOGH gathered a negative reputation in 2011. It's been inactive for the last 3-4 years though.

Inferno_Cop said:
Aria-da-Capo said:

Ironically he is the admin of the 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes Elitist' club though.

Ironically he is the smartest user here after Katsucats and _nil.

I feel flattered but I don't think I'm particularly intelligent, I'm just less stupid and more active than the average MAL user which isn't that hard to be honest.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 12, 2015 3:44 PM

Jan 2015
Kokko said:
Remv_quevav said:

was expecting 4 a Blitzkrieg but oh well
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 12, 2015 4:58 PM

Sep 2009
I don't think anyone thinks they are smart for watching LOTGH, I think they just think the anime you like is moronic, shallow or inferior in some regard and either because you are overly attached to the anime series you like or are perhaps rather insecure, you have taken their comments as a criticism of you as an individual and it upsets you. Perhaps you even think that LOTGH really is too smart for you and you are accusing its fans of being snobs as some kind of coping technique for your low self worth.

Maybe that is the problem?
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 12, 2015 5:20 PM

Dec 2012
The real problem with LotGH is that it's simply one of those series that are easy to namedrop due to its popularity and has suffered because of this, in the same (well, opposite in LotGH's case...) way as "Shitcom", "Boku no Pico" and "Mars of Destruction", along with their debatable "quality" have been so ridiculously blown out of proportion...
Apr 12, 2015 5:24 PM

Apr 2015
i like the flash cw more
Apr 12, 2015 5:37 PM

Feb 2005
You don't magically become an intelligent, respectable gentleman of refined taste by watching LoGH, but if you already are an intelligent, respectable gentleman of refined taste, you will enjoy watching LoGH.

Plebes that can only derive enjoyment form the most base and simplistic things however, lack the finesse and intellectual capacity to fathom the greatness of this magnificent work, and thus they respond like all lowly creatures do, with spite and envy for their betters. Truly, they are to be pitied.
Apr 12, 2015 5:41 PM

Jan 2015
7starkiller99 said:
PoeticJustice said:

It's the difference between reading a light novel and reading a novel.

LOGH is a good series, with its own flaws.
Drama, Sci-Fi, Space, Military
R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

SAO started off as a good action series that devolved over time.
Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Game, Romance, Shounen
PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

The differences were clear: LOGH being a political space drama, while SAO had action.

Ironically, LOGH had a better romance than SAO.

LOGH had a greater world building environment, and was also longer running; while SAO relied more on shock effect and climaxes of action.

Ultimately, LOGH was a better anime than SAO, but that's not to say that portions of SAO would be more appealing than LOGH.
(Battles were typically more exciting in SAO)

They were both marketed to different audiences, and general people tend to look down on action-central series, rather than political intrigue and galactic conflicts.

But I must say, SAO gave us great parodies:

So to answer the question:

LOGH is more intellectual than SAO, and people ascribe people liking a series to their personal traits, leading to the current ideology.

I havent watched LOGH but SAO fights are shit. In season 2 the sword fights basically devolved to colorful slash marks. Id get a bigger bang watching power rangers.
Apr 12, 2015 5:45 PM

Jul 2014
People think more than they should.
Apr 12, 2015 5:49 PM

Feb 2013
i watched/liked logh for the gore :^)
Apr 12, 2015 6:09 PM

Feb 2014
crosx said:
People think more than they should.

Not on here.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Apr 12, 2015 6:22 PM

Jun 2012
That's just people being arrogant. Unless they're trolling. I am not sure what the definition of "smart" is anymore. I recently completed LOGH myself. I think it's more stimulating than most other series in a sense that there is a lot of philosophy, questioning and contradictions. Not of any high standard but quite high in terms of anime. And it does get you into that intellectual 'mood'. Maybe people should say that they get inspired by some quotes rather than saying that they are smarter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2015 6:24 PM

Aug 2009
Never seen it and I have a tested IQ of 140. Well, it probably doesn't. It sounds like a good show, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes people smart. Dam elitists. Since when does watching tv add to your IQ points? (haha)
Apr 12, 2015 6:33 PM

Feb 2015
I agree OP, people who watch LoGH should rate it poorly and never recommend it, because if they did otherwise they are clearly trying to look smart and superior.

On a non-sarcastic note, just watch what you enjoy. There are always going to be people insulting you, and if it's because they think you're a try-hard for liking a certain anime, what does it really matter?
RefractingApr 12, 2015 6:46 PM
Apr 12, 2015 6:40 PM

Dec 2014
does anyone think logh is the animu s star wars?

they re both space operas and questionnates about democracy
Apr 12, 2015 6:42 PM

Jun 2013
ghoullovesharem said:

The top review on MAL does.
Apr 12, 2015 6:50 PM

Feb 2005
ghoullovesharem said:

Star Wars is action and adventure, LoGH is an epic about politics, history and drama, plus some action. The only thing they have in common is the space setting really.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 72 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

88 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 13, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - May 25, 2008

262 by bubba460z »»
Jun 12, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 66 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

45 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 7, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.