Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 6, 2021 12:52 PM
Aug 2016
Because people on MAL are terrible 'critics'. I mean people write reviews on anime after 1 episode airs. If you're struggling on forming your own opinion, MAL is a terrible example to look at.

I cringe when I see how most people on this platform think a rating below 7/10 doesn't exist.

You would expect better out of THE anime website. Too bad.
May 6, 2021 1:01 PM
Jan 2016
Does it matter?

If I like the anime a lot, then 10 is fine, I don't really care about those numbers
May 6, 2021 1:04 PM
Apr 2021
cchigu said:
dan918 said:
I agree with you that 3-gatsu no lion is basically the only thing that deserves a 10.
Welp, at least from what I have watched until now, it is clearly the best show.

skapito said:
If I enjoy something, then it means it's worth my time. If It's worth my time, then hell if imma score it high.

I'm not a critic nor a pro weeb or smth like that. I WANT to enjoy anime, so I'm not searching the bad parts nor the plot holes whenever I'm watching anime. That's why i give 10's so easily.
Well, I am EXACTLY like you in this. I don't criticize anime for superficial things that self-proclaimed critics on this site do. But still, a matter of "10/10" is beyond the case of a show that can be simply labeled as "a good show", to me.

And yet you gave Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san a 10/10.
May 6, 2021 1:05 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
skynet5c said:
cchigu said:
Welp, at least from what I have watched until now, it is clearly the best show.

Well, I am EXACTLY like you in this. I don't criticize anime for superficial things that self-proclaimed critics on this site do. But still, a matter of "10/10" is beyond the case of a show that can be simply labeled as "a good show", to me.

No, I did not give it a 10. If you are referring to my review, then that is a different case than my own ratings.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 6, 2021 1:06 PM
Apr 2021
cchigu said:
skynet5c said:

No, I did not give it a 10. If you are referring to my review, then that is a different case than my own ratings.

But you write your own reviews. So why would you use a different scoring system?
May 6, 2021 1:09 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Does this mean that a lot of people have such low standards for an anime that anytime an anime gives them so much as just a smirk that it's so amazing that it gets a 10/10?? That kinda hurts ngl

For me I just want to utilize the 1-4/10 range that is not used as much. An anime that I overall enjoyed will either get a 4 or 5 at the least. I'm not like "yeah I guess that was pretty good. TEN OUT OF TEN!!!!"

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 6, 2021 1:09 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
skynet5c said:
cchigu said:

But you write your own reviews. So why would you use a different scoring system?
Because the score of the show was very low even though the show was very good from the perspective of an ecchi lover. Most of the ecchi shows here are underrated because people can't fathom the idea of giving these shows good scores.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 6, 2021 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
skynet5c said:
LostSpectre said:
That seems awfully aggressive, playing dumb isn't really cute or interesting, your scores speak for themselves.

I don't think having a particular score distribution means that one is trolling. There are multiple reasons why one might have an unusual score distribution:

- Maybe I only list the shows on MAL that I either really loved or hated.
- Maybe I have a different scoring system than the one that most people use.
- Maybe I just have really unusual tastes.

And so on.

I agree that his insults were uncalled for though.
A particular distribution, correct, his particular distribution, not a chance. For the record I'm saying his scores are a troll, not that his comments/behavior are necessarily troll worthy, but his score is purposely designed to go up from 1-10, with 1 being the most frequent score, and there's no question of whether or not that's intentional.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 6, 2021 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
BetaMaleUltra said:
Does this mean that a lot of people have such low standards for an anime that anytime an anime gives them so much as just a smirk that it's so amazing that it gets a 10/10?? That kinda hurts ngl

For me I just want to utilize the 1-4/10 range that is not used as much. An anime that I overall enjoyed will either get a 4 or 5 at the least. I'm not like "yeah I guess that was pretty good. TEN OUT OF TEN!!!!"
An anime that you "enjoyed" should get a 6 at the least, in objective terms, so are you trying too hard to use the lower scale?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 6, 2021 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
cchigu said:
skynet5c said:

Because the score of the show was very low even though the show was very good from the perspective of an ecchi lover. Most of the ecchi shows here are underrated because people can't fathom the idea of giving these shows good scores.
Let me get this straight, so you gave it a 10 when you really think it's a 4? What the fuck are you smoking?
May 6, 2021 1:18 PM
Mar 2020
I don't. I give it to those that I absolutely loved.
May 6, 2021 1:18 PM
Apr 2021
cchigu said:
skynet5c said:

So you gave it a 10 just because you thought it was underrated? You realize that if everyone did that, then all reviews would only be either a 1 or a 10 and convey no useful informational value other than "I thought this show was underrated/overrated"?

I consider your instrumental use of the scoring system to be an antipattern that over time leads to the degeneration of scores and pushes sites to adopt the stupid Upvote/Downvote system rather than the more elaborate and imo more useful 1-10 rating system.

May 6, 2021 1:22 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
LostSpectre said:
BetaMaleUltra said:

An anime that you "enjoyed" should get a 6 at the least, in objective terms, so are you trying too hard to use the lower scale?

Yeah I agree that's how it SHOULD be my preference is to keep it at a 4 or 5. Just because I think there's more levels of good then there are levels of bad. Want to give more breathing room for the GOOD anime to make it more easy to differentiate between which anime I preferred over the other.

If my base line is 6 then I only have 5 levels of good to choose from. But since my baseline is more like a 5 then I have more options to choose from when trying to show how much I liked said anime. If I have less options to choose from, I might have to give 2 different anime both a 7 even though I liked one slightly more. With a lower base line and thus more options, I can show that difference and give one anime a 7 and the other one an 8 for example.

Like to me if it's bad, it's bad, give that shit a 2 or 3 or something

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 6, 2021 1:26 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
LostSpectre said:
cchigu said:
Let me get this straight, so you gave it a 10 when you really think it's a 4? What the fuck are you smoking?
No, I gave it a 10 because it was easier to write a review just considering just all the positive points and I just wanted to write some bullshit so I couldn't care less. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@skynet5c Yeah, that is certainly a point I agree with you on. But at the end of the day, only the polarizing reviews are going to get attention anyway. Even if we had the upvote/downvote system just like before, the reviews on the top page were still rating the show either very low or very high. The reviews trying to show both sides of the coin are plenty on this site but it is very rare to see them getting traction.
May 6, 2021 1:30 PM

Jan 2013
BetaMaleUltra said:
LostSpectre said:

Yeah I agree that's how it SHOULD be my preference is to keep it at a 4 or 5. Just because I think there's more levels of good then there are levels of bad. Want to give more breathing room for the GOOD anime to make it more easy to differentiate between which anime I preferred over the other.

If my base line is 6 then I only have 5 levels of good to choose from. But since my baseline is more like a 5 then I have more options to choose from when trying to show how much I liked said anime. If I have less options to choose from, I might have to give 2 different anime both a 7 even though I liked one slightly more. With a lower base line and thus more options, I can show that difference and give one anime a 7 and the other one an 8 for example.

Like to me if it's bad, it's bad, give that shit a 2 or 3 or something
Oh, that's an interesting viewpoint, but I would think you would still run out of room at some point, I have a ton of 7's and could benefit from your approach, but I don't need them to be equal or anything like that, each show is rated individually, and can't be compared to any other with the same rating, unless they're very similar in scope, like 2 ecchi comedies..
May 6, 2021 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
cchigu said:
LostSpectre said:
No, I gave it a 10 because it was easier to write a review just considering just all the positive points and I just wanted to write some bullshit so I couldn't care less. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, you didn't deny a single thing I just said, so I'm not sure why started off trying to do so, the situation seems to be exactly as I stated it.
May 6, 2021 1:33 PM

Jan 2021
It really depends on what they consider a 10 and how they rate. Some folks in this thread are already mentioning their reasons, so I won't go deep into that.

If they believe that almost every anime is good enough to be considered great or a masterpiece, then that's on them. I find it odd for others to assume that these people have no standards. The content on their list can already clearly show what they would want to watch/read or drop, and those ratings could still have some nuance to the users themselves.

InspectorLunge said:
There is no objective methodology of giving ratings; Yes; the scale is from 1-10 but most people don't really utilize the entire scale and that's theirs subjective way of rating which is not against the rules.

And yes, exactly this. I'd also like to add that some people use the scale to compare between anime, while others use the scale at face value. There's no objectively wrong way to do it, so a 10 doesn't always have to imply that it's the gold standard.
May 6, 2021 1:34 PM

Apr 2019
Its ok to be curious about how people rate their favs but to the people who insult or bring down people for it stop you need help.
May 6, 2021 1:38 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
LostSpectre said:
cchigu said:
Yeah, you didn't deny a single thing I just said, so I'm not sure why started off trying to do so, the situation seems to be exactly as I stated it.
No, it is kind of a mixed bag tbh and I couldn't really be bothered to give an answer. I consider Yuuragi Yuuna a good ecchi, but the thing is that I hate ecchi anime. As for my review, it is definitely a low effort joke.
May 6, 2021 1:50 PM

Sep 2018
LostSpectre said:
skynet5c said:

I don't think having a particular score distribution means that one is trolling. There are multiple reasons why one might have an unusual score distribution:

- Maybe I only list the shows on MAL that I either really loved or hated.
- Maybe I have a different scoring system than the one that most people use.
- Maybe I just have really unusual tastes.

And so on.

I agree that his insults were uncalled for though.
A particular distribution, correct, his particular distribution, not a chance. For the record I'm saying his scores are a troll, not that his comments/behavior are necessarily troll worthy, but his score is purposely designed to go up from 1-10, with 1 being the most frequent score, and there's no question of whether or not that's intentional.

Everyone purposely designs their scoring system in a certain way. What really matters is the top or bottom %. For example, if someone rated 28% of the anime they watched 10/10, I would compare that with my top 28% (8-10) and not just with my own 10/10.

I'd gladly lower all my 2-4 to 1 and scale the rest accordingly, in order to better distinguish various levels of "good" (and I don't care much about various levels of "bad"). The only reason I'm not doing it is that I still wanna comply to MAL's definition of 4=bad, which I translate as 5=something I'd never drop.
May 6, 2021 1:52 PM
Jan 2021
because I rank what I enjoy. If I love something - for example, Howl's moving castle - I give it a 10.
I don't care about technicalities lol it's MY list for a reason.
May 6, 2021 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
Vaguelyweebish said:
I think it's because that uncritical mentality of "everyone can enjoy what they want" has really taken root in recent years. People don't want to be challenged or think anymore. If they're entertained, that's enough for them, no matter how many plot holes or unlikable characters there are.

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bad thing? I have been personally attacked for having contrarian views and not "letting people enjoy what they enjoy." People don't want to be criticized anymore because there's this general agreement about what is accepted as good and what is bad, and it becomes very easy to bow to pressure.

I guess I'm so critical because I actually want people to think about the true quality of media. But most people don't want to do that, even if they can't truly explain why they gave a series a 10.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone comes into watching anime as a professional reviewer of writing in television. Some can have a basic understanding of judging writing. But it can be hard for someone to figure out what qualifies to them as a "masterpiece" anime. It's something that's very subjective. The problem in the anime community is that not everyone is accepting of subjective criticism. There are those who have a set standard of what is good and bad quality anime in their mind and they want to enforce that mindset on others. As a result, it becomes hard for someone to critically and honestly judge an based on their own standards with people out there who will easily trash on them for not having similar tastes to them. The medium no longer becomes a leisure activity and more of a job. Some people just want to sit down and watch anime without the expectation of having a certain amount of knowledge in critiquing writing as well as the fear of being bullied by others for their tastes. I do often times wonder whether or not certain people genuinely like the anime that they watch based on the number of 10s that they give freely. But at the same time, I can't really judge since I myself have struggled with finding my own criteria for rating anime and still question it.
May 6, 2021 1:55 PM
Apr 2021
Nirinbo said:
LostSpectre said:

I'd gladly lower all my 2-4 to 1 and scale the rest accordingly, in order to better distinguish various levels of "good" (and I don't care much about various levels of "bad"). The only reason I'm not doing it is that I still wanna comply to MAL's definition of 4=bad, which I translate as 5=something I'd never drop.

Yeah I can totally sympathize with that. If I saw a new anime that blows all the other anime I've seen out of the water, then I would rate it a 10 and lower all my previous 10s to 9s and scale the rest accordingly.
May 6, 2021 2:02 PM
Feb 2021
TheFireNinja said:
Vaguelyweebish said:
I think it's because that uncritical mentality of "everyone can enjoy what they want" has really taken root in recent years. People don't want to be challenged or think anymore. If they're entertained, that's enough for them, no matter how many plot holes or unlikable characters there are.

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bad thing? I have been personally attacked for having contrarian views and not "letting people enjoy what they enjoy." People don't want to be criticized anymore because there's this general agreement about what is accepted as good and what is bad, and it becomes very easy to bow to pressure.

I guess I'm so critical because I actually want people to think about the true quality of media. But most people don't want to do that, even if they can't truly explain why they gave a series a 10.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone comes into watching anime as a professional reviewer of writing in television. Some can have a basic understanding of judging writing. But it can be hard for someone to figure out what qualifies to them as a "masterpiece" anime. It's something that's very subjective. The problem in the anime community is that not everyone is accepting of subjective criticism. There are those who have a set standard of what is good and bad quality anime in their mind and they want to enforce that mindset on others. As a result, it becomes hard for someone to critically and honestly judge an based on their own standards with people out there who will easily trash on them for not having similar tastes to them. The medium no longer becomes a leisure activity and more of a job. Some people just want to sit down and watch anime without the expectation of having a certain amount of knowledge in critiquing writing as well as the fear of being bullied by others for their tastes. I do often times wonder whether or not certain people genuinely like the anime that they watch based on the number of 10s that they give freely. But at the same time, I can't really judge since I myself have struggled with finding my own criteria for rating anime and still question it.
Well said. I admit that I take the number rating system too seriously at times, but I think that is why it is there: To judge from a critical perspective. There should be an option for you to not give a number but be able to review a title. I think people could express their opinions more freely without feeling the need to cave to pressure or feeling like they need to beat others over the head with theirs (a problem I obviously have). It's hard to not get uptight about expressing your opinion about something when others say you are wrong for it.

I kind of ironically like SAO but have been thinking of adjusting my critical rating of it since it would reflect the objective quality of it. The main thing is to not confuse the objective score with your subjective tastes. But again, I think that's the problem these rating systems run into so frequently.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
May 6, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2019
I literally have three 10/10s but I rate 75% on enjoyment and 25% on the other parts of it. The production side is usually my lowest priority unless it's distracting enough. My 10s are essentially the stuff I not only enjoyed the most, but also left an emotional impact on me and it's something I still think about to this day. It's been a while since I've been able to confidently give something a 10 without dropping it's score.
my life was made with mematic.
May 6, 2021 2:03 PM

Jan 2013
Nirinbo said:
LostSpectre said:

Everyone purposely designs their scoring system in a certain way. What really matters is the top or bottom %. For example, if someone rated 28% of the anime they watched 10/10, I would compare that with my top 28% (8-10) and not just with my own 10/10.

I wasn't referring to a criteria or scoring peculiarity, I was referring to the fact they intentionally have their ratings going up from 1 in terms of most watched, with decreasing frequency. I would assume there's additional trolling with giving certain mediocre shows a 10 and more critically acclaimed shows a 1, but that's all secondary and besides the point, they're clearly manipulated and can't be taken seriously, even if some are legitimate scores, there's no way of knowing which is which.
LostSpectreMay 6, 2021 2:09 PM
May 6, 2021 2:04 PM
Feb 2021
-rojazu- said:
Spamming the 10 bucket is like giving every kid in the class an A. It does a disservice to the best ones.

There are 10 rating buckets and you are unnecessarily constraining yourself if you dont use utilise all of them.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
May 6, 2021 2:04 PM

Jan 2021
I’m the type of person that just rates anime based on only my entertainment.
May 6, 2021 2:38 PM

Oct 2019
Bruh it's because I spend fucking days just browsing through what interests me, then I find the anime with good animation, and then I watch. I take my time to find what I really think will blow me away nowadays and I'm not disappointed.
May 6, 2021 2:54 PM

Dec 2018
Everyone has the right to give whatever score they want but, in my opinion, the more 10/10 someone hands out the less meaning they have.

If someone that has watched 500 shows considers 10 of them to be a 10/10 masterpiece and said someone recommends I watch one of those 10 I will value his recommendation more than I would if he had rated 100 shows a 10/10 because at a certain point if you consider everything to be a masterpiece then nothing really is.
May 6, 2021 2:55 PM
May 2015
In my opinion , if I put a 10/10, it is because it is one of my favorite genres(I love psychological and romantic anime), so I have no problem putting a 10
May 6, 2021 3:25 PM

Sep 2020
Because I mean everyone has different thought processes on it. It is their list so I mean why do you care how they score it
May 6, 2021 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
I don't do this, because usually the more 10s one gives out it seems that it gives the 10/10 score less meaning. Something that absolutely blew me away and something that is my ultimate standard would be given a 10/10; hence, why I only have 3 10s at the moment.

But whatever, people should just do what they want. Everything about anime is subjective anyways.
May 6, 2021 3:27 PM

Jan 2017
Because people feel like it. Rating stuff is all subjective anyways, it's Saul Goodman!

Vivo in somno. Solitarie putresco in inferis.
Hic dies meus obitus dies, et meus nativus dies. Te obeam.

Mea anima immortalis. Autem mea futura necata sunt.
Manes sum. Animam definire ambiguum est.
Te odi, et te amo. Conveniamus in somnio ipso.

May 6, 2021 3:28 PM

Aug 2018
Cuz I only rate it based on enjoyment, ofc there are anime that are much better but share the same score, anime is just a hobby of mine and I really don't think that much about giving a score

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

May 6, 2021 3:29 PM

Aug 2016
There are just so many good shows man! Also it's whatever you shouldn't care too much about other people you know

And another thing, those are personal scores and definitely not objective, not everyone is a critic in anime so handing 10 even though there are obvious plot holes, bad writing or whatever doesn't matter if the person felt a connection to a certain piece
we do a little bit of headbanging hereο»Ώ
May 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Jan 2021
not all the anime that got a 10/10 are in my favorites

i only use it when i really loved the anime
May 6, 2021 3:54 PM
Jul 2020
Idk, some people choose to watch good shows.. How dumb right?
May 6, 2021 4:06 PM
Dec 2020
if i enjoy something and i think its worth someones time, then i'll give it a 10/10
May 6, 2021 4:27 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
kiwixcoke said:
Idk, some people choose to watch good shows.. How dumb right?
It is certainly dumb because good shows are actually tough to come by for me.
May 6, 2021 4:39 PM

Apr 2020
stop caring about other people's list
only care if your distribution has 2 peaks

May 6, 2021 5:50 PM

Mar 2016
Me handing out 10s easily?? Wow, how unheard of xDDDD

It'd only look like I hand out a lot of 10s because I've watched literally 3k worth of stuff.
May 6, 2021 5:52 PM

Oct 2014
I've only given out 13 10s while I've rated over 3000 anime in total. 10s have to connect with me on a deep level.
May 6, 2021 6:08 PM
Apr 2019
I have only rated 10 animes 10/10 out of 160ish anime ive watched (idk if its a lot or not) but i think if i give it a 10/10 then its a flawless anime from all of aspect and are very enjoyable
May 6, 2021 6:17 PM

Nov 2017
Cause I can and I rate based on my enjoyment. I'm not a critic so I won't try to judge the anime through out the series...what's the point of watching sum if u know u are not going to enjoy it? I look/watch stuff that I know I will like.

Sometimes I do watch random stuff but not always which is why I don't have a lot of low ratings
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
May 6, 2021 6:40 PM

Apr 2016
Some people aren't super deliberate about their ratings. I say this because I used to be the same way. For me a 10 was basically = great, and it applied to a lot of anime. Basically a lot of people don't really care or try to be super logical or subjective about the anime they watch. They just throw that shit in there and give it a 10.

It's all good tho.
May 6, 2021 6:46 PM

Apr 2013
The only anime that deserves 10/10 is Inferno Cop. Rest is debatable.
May 6, 2021 7:03 PM

Mar 2020
I have never felt the need to justify my ratings to others so just assume I am my own person and rate things how I see fit.
May 6, 2021 9:00 PM

Feb 2021
I give 10s if I truly love it, one of my friends give it out so easily and it’s truly disgusting
May 6, 2021 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
We get it dude, you're like an anime connoisseur or whatever

I give 10's to shows, I feel like have truly earned it. Simple as that.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does Old Anime age poorly or do people age poorly?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

20 by Subarctic-Forest »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime powers you wish you had

ST63LTH - Yesterday

19 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

115 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you think anime has ever negatively impacted someone's life?

removed-user - May 10

30 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny? ( 1 2 )

Ri-KoRin - May 21

50 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.