Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
To Your Eternity
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2021 12:57 PM

Jul 2017
Im not digging Fushi's voice, sounds a bit too annoying for my taste, aside from that the first ep was an interesting one for sure, looking forward to seeing where the story goes!
Apr 12, 2021 1:01 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I'm glad that the hype didn't kill my enjoyment of the episode, it absolutely lived up to it. I've been waiting for this show forever and the delay was absolutely worth it. Cannot wait for next Monday when we can see Fushi finally start his journey
Apr 12, 2021 1:04 PM

Apr 2018
Good ep but people are overhyping it, It was sad but not sad enough to make you cry. But everything about the anime was fantastic.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 12, 2021 1:08 PM

Apr 2019
Amazing first episode, I always wanted to read the manga but I heard an anime adaption was coming soon, now that it’s here I will watch and pick up the manga afterwards.

Apr 12, 2021 1:09 PM

Mar 2014
Been a while since I read the first manga volume, but I think they nailed it. Music was done really well
Apr 12, 2021 1:17 PM

Apr 2016
Great episode! It’s one of the best first episodes that I’ve ever seen.
Apr 12, 2021 1:20 PM

Aug 2016
It seemed inevitable the boy would die and it would become him.
Damn, I was expecting something good from a series by the manga-ka of A Silent Voice, but damn that was even more than I'd hoped, this series could be something special.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 12, 2021 1:24 PM
Apr 2020
I thought this is about a boy and a wolf but the wolf is no more.
Apr 12, 2021 1:26 PM

Jan 2015
That was such a great episode. I loved A Silent Voice and know that I'm going to love this anime as well.
Apr 12, 2021 1:31 PM
Jan 2021
Real good stuff over here.
One of the best opening episodes I have seen. Animation is incredible, music score is really good, and as far as the story goes it is amazing and brutal it met all my expectations, even that I thought it was a bit overhyped by manga readers, but now I cannot wait until the next episode.
The best anime this season for now at least.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Apr 12, 2021 1:32 PM
May 2018
first episode and im already in tears
Apr 12, 2021 1:40 PM
Feb 2021
I’ve been waiting months for this, after completing finishing the manga, and it did not disappoint
(The feeels ahhh)
Apr 12, 2021 1:44 PM

Feb 2019
This appears to answer the question "What if we remade The Thing, but as a depressing melodrama instead of a horror movie?" An alien shapeshifts into a dying orphan boy's dead dog, and then hangs out with him as he slowly dies of exposure before shifting into his body and wandering right off again. All the while, dramatic music blasts away at the sheer unrelenting tragedy of this horrible plight. I want to know how an entire village sprang forth a few miles from his rock form, and yet apparently in those thousands of years of evolution, the first animal to die near him was a pet dog.

These kind of depressing shows are definitely neither my bag nor forte, and this definitely won't make a convert out of me. The whole thing felt very exploitative. Kid is dying, kid is dying, kid is dying, wring out maximum suffering and tears, sad orchestra crescendo, kid is dead, but look how beautiful everything is in the hallucination of heaven. Space wolf watches all with detached, impassive curiosity. Truly, this is the ambrosia of life. I don't like dramas much, but when I do, it's because they're driven by the characters. And yet, this shies away from them going all Donner Party too, so it also feels a little spineless. You want to really sell desperation? Let's do it. Let's eat a family member. Or we can just crank the sad violins up another three notches and make everything hazy. See? Like you're looking through tears.
Apr 12, 2021 1:48 PM
Dec 2020
Kinda feels like Haibane Renmei. I kinda wish they went with a instrumental instead of a song with lyrics for the OP but it is what it is. 10/10 first episode hands down
said the lolicon bastard
Apr 12, 2021 1:53 PM

Apr 2020
That was amazing, I think I'm gonna read the manga lol, I don't know if I can wait a week.
Apr 12, 2021 1:55 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been cleaned.

Asking for where to watch an episode violates MAL Guidelines as that can lead to users posting illegal links. Obviously, posting illegal links also violates MAL Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2021 2:01 PM
Jan 2021
I thought he was about to find the dead wolf body but then he fell into the water.
Apr 12, 2021 2:10 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Peak first episode, they covered the introduction perfectly.
Apr 12, 2021 2:10 PM

Mar 2016
It's finally here! I waited for so long!

The animation is so beautiful. The boy looked like a student's concept drawing when he first showed up, but as the story kept on going, he turned more and more detailed and beautiful.

The boy finally met people after his death. It's because fantasy can do things like this, that I love this genre.

Slowly realising the boy has no one around him, and the reasons for him staying were also dead . . . yeah . . . it was quite lonely.

A song by Utada Hikaru!! I love her voice so much! I didn't know she sang for TV anime.

I had always assumed they would cut a lot of content and make the story a lot more fast paced if they ever adapted this into an anime. So far, they just adapted one chapter. I know the later chapters are too short, but I hope the anime adapts them properly.
Apr 12, 2021 2:18 PM

Jan 2017
Whoa that was a pretty good first episode, the music and visuals were on point.
Apr 12, 2021 2:26 PM
Jul 2016
Now thats a fuuuuuucking episode right there
Apr 12, 2021 2:27 PM

Jan 2015
I like the setting. I'm always up for some prehistoric times story. Very good first episode and interested to know where it goes.
Apr 12, 2021 2:30 PM

Mar 2020
The last time a first episode made me cry and get hooked, i was watching Attack On Titan
Apr 12, 2021 2:31 PM
Dec 2019
is this really the voice actor's first role cuz damn boi am i crying -
Apr 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Mar 2020
I'm super surprised this is written by the same author that wrote A Silent Voice. Most authors I know stick to one genre.
fuck_my_life_707Apr 12, 2021 3:19 PM
Apr 12, 2021 2:38 PM
Jan 2020
Amazing first ep although was predictable, was still one of the stronger seasonal released in the last few years, have high hopes for it and been restraining myself from reading the manga
Apr 12, 2021 2:49 PM

Jul 2019
Best first episode I've seen in a WHILE
Apr 12, 2021 2:50 PM

Jul 2019
__t004 said:
Amazing first ep although was predictable, was still one of the stronger seasonal released in the last few years, have high hopes for it and been restraining myself from reading the manga

I think we were supposed to know what was happening. The final line hit so hard because we were thinking about the whole episode.
Apr 12, 2021 2:51 PM
Jan 2017
I'm very pleased with how good this adaption is so far. I was unsure if the anime would be able to capture the same atmosphere as the manga, but this episode handled it perfectly! Excited to see the rest.
Apr 12, 2021 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
Ay yo, who's cutting unions?? and that in the first episode. If this is a sign of what is yet to come, I don't think I'll ever be ready for what this show has to offer me. What an amazing premiere.
Apr 12, 2021 2:56 PM
Jan 2020
Rojaseb said:
__t004 said:

I think we were supposed to know what was happening. The final line hit so hard because we were thinking about the whole episode.
could very well be right but honestly was a great first ep
Apr 12, 2021 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this. I felt much of the episode was just the two characters walking, so it felt a bit dragged. I didn't care for the human character; in fact, I found him a tad bit annoying. But his behavior made sense; he was practically going crazy from isolation, which is why he talked so much (although his high pitched voice was annoying). But that ending where he just dies, alone, unable to go anywhere, was pretty sad.

For some reason, this anime reminds me of Kino's Journey; in that it seems to be an episodic anime about a character traveling from place to place, meeting new people. But Kino's Journey was much more...strange, in its tone and aesthetic, while this anime is clearly going for a more drama feel.

I feel like it's been a while since we got a more emotional-focused anime like this.

fuck_my_life_707 said:
I'm super surprised this is written by the same author who wrote A Silent Voice. Most authors I know stick to one genre.

But I mean, aren't A Silent Voice and this anime, dramas?
Apr 12, 2021 3:02 PM

Mar 2021
Alright this was an incredible introduction to the series. The visuals are great, the world is interesting, and the story is compelling. Even though you knew what would happen to the boy they managed to make it impactful and emotional. I am very excited to see where this show goes and I feel like this is going to be one of those shows that will be talked about for a while.
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Apr 12, 2021 3:06 PM
Nov 2020
Just wow. That was such a strong first episode. I have never cried during the first episode of an anime before but oh my god this one had me sobbing. This show is gonna be amazing!!!!
Apr 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Apr 2007
This episode just rips your heart to shreds. To see the happy positive boy succumb to his injury and unable to reach his goal.

Interesting story though. It looks to be a good ride for sure.
Apr 12, 2021 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
I got goosebumps after the first episode of an anime. I don't think that has happened to me before. This is a really creative concept and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Apr 12, 2021 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
it was a very dramatic episode it was sad at the scene of the leg wound.
Apr 12, 2021 3:44 PM

Nov 2017
Man, you can’t pull that shit and make me almost cry on the FIRST EPISODE
Apr 12, 2021 3:46 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Wow. This and Megalo Box Season 2 manged to blow me away with the first episode, but that's not surprising since both of them are emotional series. So basically there's this orb that was cast unto the Earth. It has the power to change into anything that stimulates it and come back to life after death. At first it took the form of a rock, then it took the form of a dying wolf. The newly reformed wolf eventually made it back to a village where it encounters a boy who is the last one left in the village. This boy kinda reminds me of Bell from Danmachi not just from a character design perspective, but also in personality. He's young boy full of positivity, but also very naive.

The boy believes that the villagers went on ahead in search of "paradise" and he was forced to stay behind and take care of the elderly people until they get back. The problem is they haven't come back in a while so the boy sets off on his own journey with the wolf. However, the boy falls into a frozen lake and suffers a major injury. I'm surprised that he didn't die on the spot to hypothermia. To make matters worse the boy finds out the hard way that the villagers didn't make it through the journey so the boy had no choice but to limp his way back to the village. Meanwhile, the boy's injury continues to get worse and takes a toll on his heath.The boy finally passed away on his favorite chair. When the wolf made contact with the boy's corpse it suddenly takes the form of a human and so begins the journey of the nameless boy who will interact the world around him.

I really liked how the narrator sets the tone for this series and his voice sounds familiar. Is it the same one who narrated for Cells at Work: Black?
AddaeAkonoApr 12, 2021 3:53 PM
Apr 12, 2021 3:55 PM
Jan 2019
That is one of the best first episodes that I have seen. Like that have me promised never land first episode vibes, heck that was better. I am all in. Also an 8.55 after first episode. That is the highest I've seen for a first episode, non sequel. I know jjk has a 8.7 but after the first episode I think it was 8.2 or .3.
KillerCrocXApr 12, 2021 4:02 PM
Apr 12, 2021 4:11 PM
Apr 2013
Easily one of the saddest and best first episodes I ever seen, looking forward to where the journey will take them.
Apr 12, 2021 4:13 PM
Jan 2018
Damn I cried like a baby
Apr 12, 2021 4:13 PM

Feb 2014
That was very good indeed, almost cried when the boy passed away.
Apr 12, 2021 4:30 PM
Jan 2021
This episode was beautiful, I was hooked from the start and I finished crying my eyes out. I haven't read the manga so I don't really know if it's going to get better from here but if it keeps up the same quality then this could definitely be anime of the year!
Apr 12, 2021 4:34 PM
Sep 2012
Tamago_Onigiri said:
I thought this is about a boy and a wolf but the wolf is no more.

but the boy is dead.
Apr 12, 2021 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
I cried like a little *****. Music was almost too much, as expected from FGO and Altair composer. Maaaaaaaaaaaan.
Apr 12, 2021 4:49 PM

Sep 2017
Wow that was amazing. Haven't cried this much from an anime is quite some time. And this was just the first episode! Really fantastic stuff. Even if this was just some one off ova episode it would be great. I had a feeling the boy was gonna die probably about halfway through his expedition but man it still hit.
Apr 12, 2021 5:00 PM
Jun 2015
I think what ultimately struck me most with this premiere was the eternal, transforming orb. The nameless boy's story is striking, but I think some of that is attributed to our point of view character(?). It's hard to explain right now, but the mystical nature of it and its eternity just makes the story so engaging. The eyes, just the eyes.

I don't know why, but it reminds me a bit like Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire. Regardless, this and Fruits Basket are going to make Mondays very difficult emotionally.
Apr 12, 2021 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
Been a long time since an anime made me cry. Even longer that an episode one accomplished it.

Top tier show. Watch now.
Apr 12, 2021 5:09 PM

Apr 2013
I’m hoping this shot is corrected in blue rays.

Other than that, 5/5 episode. I knew the premise going in from when it was supposed to air in Fall 2020 and at that time guessed that the “thing” would take the boy’s form after his death. I didnt know that the wolf would be the one to take his human form. But when the episode started it confirmed my theory and where this was going. It didnt affect my enjoyment whatsoever. Had a smile throughout and even though I did not cry or tear up I still felt sad watching the end of the episode.

Curious to see where this is going but in my mind if the art and animation is average or even above average this will be the best airing anime this season.

“Once this wound heals, we’re going to try again, Joaan.”

Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2021

240 by poscula »»
Yesterday, 2:39 AM

» Hayase is getting too much plot armor

Andrekrep - May 19, 2021

30 by Dirittoprocedura »»
May 28, 4:26 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Usopp8000 - May 17, 2021

152 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2021

345 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 7:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.