Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 30, 2021 7:27 PM
Nov 2020
SigurdV said:
Already anime of the season for the art direction alone.

Fucking loved every second. Early on in the episode the cgi was a bit jarring but that isn't nearly enough for me to ignore everything this episode did well.

Yes. Yes, exactly.

Rinkahai said:
BaronBrixius said:
Why does the poll have a whopping 142 "Hated it"? Is this the next Ex-Arm?

Edit : Seems like the same thing happened to the other show that aired today, Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui, except there's 266 of them. Did someone make a bot to vote 1/5 on polls?...
yes I agree with you, even seeing their discussions people enjoy it, so I think this is a bot's doing, I hope mod will fix it

If it is not a bot I really can't fathom such a statistic, I was also shocked.

Gave me Cowboy Bebop vibes with the art direciton. Class, class, class... felt like walking through an art gallery. Mars Red achieved a sophistication here in the first episode that is very hard to pretend to and easy to flub in a multitude of ways regardless of medium, film/anime/theatre/book - a fact demonstrated by how often this "classic" style is tried only to immediately produce such a concentration of big cheeseball energy that we can't help but guffaw and smh.

Interestingly, it would appear the vampire was in fact his fiance - who is now dead - incinerated by daylight in the square. Well then. I do have one complaint, about the Colonel's nemesis - why is he lit up like Shinji's bad boy crush from Evangelion? The one thing I felt came off as tacky and overdone, of the many bold risks they took to present a refined, cinematic experience marred only by the vibrating CGI wagons.

This was fucking cool - I hope it keeps the pace, they've certainly made a statement to start. Starts at a 10 for me.
Mar 30, 2021 9:07 PM

Jan 2020
Has a solid grasp on atmosphere with really nice looking visuals but sadly, I'm not really feeling the story or characters so far. I think the setting is cool and I can still see some potential for future episodes which is nice

Mar 30, 2021 11:56 PM
Jan 2021
Going into the spring season, I had very little expectation for what could possibly be a standout up-and-comer, especially due to how packed it was for me in terms of second seasons and new PTWs, and I would be lying if I said that Mars Red wasn’t on that list of low expectation. However, based on the very first episode of the series, I had quickly come to realize that I was mistaken. The tone, setting, scoring and visuals of the show kept me going an insane amount of the way, from what I thought to be a very beautiful soundtrack, to the aspects of screenplay that made it feel as though I were truly watching a play. Spotlights dropped on characters at different times, camera angles set up views from areas and distances that I didn’t think would suit an anime well, and the overall pacing and screen work of the show left me astounded. It wasn’t just the sounds and visuals that left me speechless, however, but the development of the story that really spoke to me the most. The episode at first seemed to be very confusing and vague, with certain things feeling sort-of-ok to leave an idea about based on how the episode escalated, but if you don’t take your time to rewatch and truly understand the episode deeply and richly, you are more than likely going to label the show a jarring first ride. I appreciated the many playful hints and hidden details GREATLY throughout the show, from the emphasis to the play advertisement to the premise behind stigmas and how/where they are placed after infection (even if it was explained briefly). Episode 1 comprised of a premise that didn’t just hand everything out to the viewer atop a silver platter, and I’m more than positive that it was done so on purpose because it is, after all, based on an original stage play. Stories like this are meant to be understood overtime as they are rewatched, reread, re-heard, etc; and it develops the excitement of coming to learn and truly understand the lore of what something has to offer. In all, I EXTREMELY enjoyed the first episode of Mars Red, and if the next of episodes are to follow in such a footstep, then I am more than excited to delve deeper into the story and world building of what could potentially be a masterpiece series (for me at least.)
Mar 30, 2021 11:58 PM
Sep 2018
mawgi said:
damn I voted that I loved this episode and there are so many "Hated it", why is that? I really liked this first ep.

They are probably bots. It's MALs biggest problem rn.
Mar 31, 2021 12:57 AM

Aug 2014
Got bored quick so I watched it at 2x speed.
Mar 31, 2021 5:10 AM

Jan 2012
Confused as to why an overwhelming number of people rated this 1/5. Seems a bit unique so far but wouldn't say it's horrible.

Anyway animation style is quite interesting.
Mar 31, 2021 6:33 AM
Mar 2021
It was definitely weird, the visual storytelling was good and I understood the gist of the story. I'm definitely intrigued and hooked, please don't mess up.

Also the ED is amazing!
Mar 31, 2021 9:32 AM

Jul 2011
Strangely I liked it.
Feels like that can be interesting anime to watch.
Im curious about the mechanics of the vampires.

Very atmospheric,and looks good.
Mar 31, 2021 9:46 AM

Dec 2020
It was interesting. I can't say much yet because it's been only one episode but it seems like a good anime. I really like the art style tho.
Mar 31, 2021 10:09 AM

Mar 2018
sikkimye said:
This is like Hellsing pretending to be Serial Experiments Lain, I only said Hellsing because it's the most popular vampire anime when in fact Sirius is much more similar in tone, but anyway. This anime is all about style over substance with virtually no world-building, almost no characterization and no depth to the story whatsoever, and no, I am not buying the bullshit explanation of "it's only the first episode" you need to establish at least minimum plot point with the beginning if you want to build a solid story. I won't even bother to mention some of the more obvious plot holes or inconsistencies in the character interactions. All in all, this is a vapid attempt at building a story solely on artistic vision without adding real substance to it, but I am sure those who like edgy stories with stylish look will gobble this up.

You made a new account just to say that? You don't want to be associated with that comment? Why not? Are you uncertain? Do you have such shitty taste that anyone with even half a braincell will disregard your opinion?

Just post on your main, if you won't then I can safely assume your opinion is bad and irrelevant.

"Awoooo!" howled Holo. Fear gripped the men. Even Lawrence stepped back. Should they have
seen her fangs, he had prepared a cover story: that all sufficiently angry women seemed to bear
fangs.
Mar 31, 2021 10:57 AM

Mar 2018
sikkimye said:
SigurdV said:

You made a new account just to say that? You don't want to be associated with that comment? Why not? Are you uncertain? Do you have such shitty taste that anyone with even half a braincell will disregard your opinion?

Just post on your main, if you won't then I can safely assume your opinion is bad and irrelevant.

Don't know what you're talking about, you said there was no world building(???) even though the world building is EXTREMELY clear. Early 1900's japan in a good economical situation planning to compose a taskforce to combat vampires. What do these vampires do, where do they come from? I don't know, but it's just the first episode so it's supposed to give questions rather than answers anyways.

The military interactions were more intricate in what they were discussing, setting up and implying than I have time to write about. You saying that "you need to establish at least minimum plot point with the beginning if you want to build a solid story" is incredibly dumb as we have already established a clear fantasy vampire showa era whatever the fuck world, with the MC being the head of the taskforce against these vampires. We have also set up a political stance going on in the place we are following (the military dude saying that the guy who set up the taskforce better show some results unless he wants his funds reduced due to the higher ups in the country thinking they have room to do so with the assumedly fairly peaceful economically stable situation the country is in) which I will not go further into, you can just watch the episode I can't believe you have the nerve to say there was zero setup in this episode.

Also there was characterization. MC clearly got softer towards the female vamp(Misaki, heavily implied, 99% confirmed fiancée) over the time of the episode. He started with seeing her simply as a vampire who needs to be carefully examined to see if she's possible to turn into a military asset(the cold demeanor referencing the stageplay Salome, in which a princess falls in love with a prophet but gets harshly rejected due to the prophet disliking her mother. The reason for the cold demeanors is similar in that it's something inherent, something that cannot be overcome and something that both the prophet and the MC find unacceptable.) Overtime, as Misaki speaks with the MC, saying "take care" and such, clearly showing she is still somewhat in control of herself, he takes a softer stance and finds her less of a threat. The way Misaki talks is carefully thought out as well, I won't go into full detail but can confirm most of what she says is somehow related to the story(trust me bro :))For example, the vamp saying "all other men were hateful" is clearly referencing the fact that other people didn't see her as human anymore, and that he(MC) was the only one who dared even come close without trying to shoot her down. At the end of the episode, he hesitates in taking out his sword, as he at this point he does think of her as a person. But he does eventually take it out (what comes next is up to interpretation) which possibly signals to Misaki that he is not willing to kiss her due to her being a vampire(risk of becoming one himself). She knows that it's an unreasonable request no matter how much she wants to kiss him. Probably the same thoughts in the head of the MC as well, which is why he hesitated with taking out his sword. Misaki kills herself, as the MC has clearly shown that they cannot be together now, no matter the circumstances as she is a vampire. She knows there is nothing more she can do in life, that she would want to do. She is self aware enough to know that her existence, especially if she loses her self awareness, is a threat to all of humanity, her fiancé included. He screams her name, clearly saddened/shocked by her suicide. He understand it, and knows it's the only choice, but is not happy about it. This interaction with Misaki will probably change how he acts towards vampires in the future. Would also be cool if he stops smoking for the rest of the story(Misaki expressed she doesn't like it).

The vamp knew it was her fiancé due to seeing his signature written, she was paying very close attention when it was done. (some people missed this, just a cool detail.)

And these things are just as a counterargument to your complaints. The music and the art direction are arguably even better than the writing(which btw, is also fantastic.)

I'd like to hear about your "obvious plot holes and inconsistencies in the character interactions." I'm honestly curious, as I didn't find any. I'm open to changing my opinion about this episode, which atm I absolutely love.

The whole interaction between Misaki and the MC is pretty closely tied to how Salome played out, I don't wanna write everything out tho :*
edit: just a smol edit
ValkidolMar 31, 2021 11:04 AM

"Awoooo!" howled Holo. Fear gripped the men. Even Lawrence stepped back. Should they have
seen her fangs, he had prepared a cover story: that all sufficiently angry women seemed to bear
fangs.
Mar 31, 2021 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
This reminded me of Joker Game and Sirius, but somehow it seems to be even worse than those 2 trash heaps. Dropped.
:3
Mar 31, 2021 1:28 PM
Saber Devotee

Jun 2015
Episode was ok-ish for me but I will drop by every week cause that ED is one hell of a banger!

Mar 31, 2021 2:22 PM

Oct 2020
The art is stunning. I'm a fan! was absolutely captivated by each frame. Story seems okay so far, there's not really much to comment about it yet lol

53 % voted that they hated it at the time I'm posting this. I didn't expect the numbers to be that high whaaaa...

Mar 31, 2021 9:26 PM
May 2016
was enthralled the whole time. an amazing introduction to the series, it was vague and subtle in great ways, and it's use of theater as framing was wonderful as well

The animation and direction were also top notch, minus that one shot of bad CGI crowds
Mar 31, 2021 10:18 PM
Mar 2021
I think the ED for this episode is pretty much Defrott’s life story.

Judging by the imagery I’m gonna guess he was a peasant in Middle Ages Europe, and was taken in by a noblewoman who turned him into a Vampire. Then she passed and gave him what looks to be a mask, which is maybe metaphorical rather than literal. Would make sense for why he claims to be an actor though.
Apr 1, 2021 1:45 AM

Mar 2014
Why are people hating this? Pretty good first episode.
Apr 1, 2021 4:30 AM

Jan 2014
Finally getting around to seeing this and damn, it's certainly giving off quite the interest factor from the first episode alone, and I'm sure more things will unravel and be more clear as the show goes on. With a very impactful first episode, hope it goes to be of this vein.
Apr 1, 2021 4:32 AM

Apr 2011
The CGI was really jarring and the camera kept lingering on it, for some reason. The blending was really bad and because it lingered on it so much, it was very, very noticeable. Other than that, the visuals were nice. I think it can be better, but it's good enough. I like it.

The ending is fantastic. So far, probably my favorite song of the season.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the main character, which is strange because I usually like stoic and serious characters. Hope the next episodes change my mind. All in all, it's something to look forward to, but not something I'll miss.
Apr 1, 2021 4:48 AM
Mar 2021
yhunata said:
The CGI was really jarring and the camera kept lingering on it, for some reason. The blending was really bad and because it lingered on it so much, it was very, very noticeable. Other than that, the visuals were nice. I think it can be better, but it's good enough. I like it.

The ending is fantastic. So far, probably my favorite song of the season.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the main character, which is strange because I usually like stoic and serious characters. Hope the next episodes change my mind. All in all, it's something to look forward to, but not something I'll miss.

I’m hoping that the Vampire guy from the trailer is the protagonist and Maeda is more the mentor/guy holding the unit together. Episode was probably useful for setting up his backstory and character before we meet the unit.
Apr 1, 2021 5:43 AM
Apr 2020
What a tragic beginning. You just met your fiancé then she died right in front of you. At least they're together during her final moments.

This is quite interesting. It's time to slay the vampires!

Apr 1, 2021 5:53 AM

Feb 2014
phantomfandom said:

I've to assume a lot of things, like, could Misaki be that man's fiance? I'm kinda sad that she died but at the same time I'm happy that that Colonel man will be a virgin for life, just like the moon in the play!

I'm almost certain that she was his fiancé. I felt bad too... he looked kind of upset even though he never met her before. It was cute and sad at the same time.
"Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Apr 1, 2021 5:57 AM

Jun 2020
SigurdV said:
Real quick gonna post a comment from another website since some people seem to be a bit confused.

"The play/opera salome is a french tragedy about the execution of john the baptist (changed jokanaan later to circumvent the ban on depicting biblical figures in plays) written by irish poet Oscar Wilde in the early 1890s.

In the play the princess salome is a a large banquet when she hears the prophet jokanaan preaching about how much of an incestuous whore her mother is while imprisoned in a well nearby. She hears that he is a young man and is intrigued at what kind of person would have the balls to talk shit about the queen so she demands the guards to take him out an show him to her much to the guards dismay. As soon as she sees jokanaan she falls in love with his beauty and asks to touch his body, but jokanaan realizes shes the daughter of the incestuous queen and is having none of it.

He rejects her in the worst way immagiable, calling her all sorts of horrible shit that would get you cancelled before you can say emilia is best girl,but salome is completely unfazed. She begins to insult his body acting like she never wanted to touch it in the first place, then shifts her focus to his hair, complimenting him on how black and curly it is, begging him to let her touch it. But jokanaan aint so easily swayed and keeps insulting her, so salome switches gears again, insulting his hair and complimenting his lips instead. Jokanaan rejects her again but this time salome dosent back down, continuously asking and then demanding a kiss from him, then asking him what she must do in order to seduce him. He basically tells her to fuck off into the desert and find jesus and repent for being born from the piece of shit queen.

But right then the captain of the guard who has been simping hard for salome cant take listening to her simp over jokanaan anymore, so he takes his sword and kills himself, the rest of the guards are like "yeah fuck this were putting the prophet back in the well" and throw jokanaan back in the well. Then the king comes over cause hes a sick fuck who has a thing for his daughter in law salome and is like WTF whys this guy dead. The guards say what happened and then some jews come over to talk to the king and everyone starts bickering about whether or not angels exist or not for an hour while jokanaan hurls insults at the queen from inside the well.

Then the king gets tired of the theocracy debate and starts doing what he came over to do, flirt with his daughter in law. She aint having it tho and the king and queen have a very stereotypical back and forth about which parent salome likes and obeys the best like bickering couple in a failing marriage. Then the king asks salome to "dance" for him (basically like some stripper) and when she refuses he tells her she will have anything she desires if she does it, and she perks up at that idea. She agrees after getting his word that she will get whatever she wants, and dances for her father in law like a stripper. After shes done the king asks her what she wants and she says her price. "I wish for the head of jokanaan on a silver platter" she says. The king is justifiably freaked out by this request cause wtf why does this teenage girl want a prophets head, thats some real blood lust right there, but the queen thinks salome is doing it for her cause the prophet wont stop insulting her. The king eventually agrees and has jokanaan executed and his head brought to her on a silver platter.

Salome is overjoyed and starts talking shit to the severed head, basically saying "you cant run now" and "i wont just kiss you ill bite your lips like a fruit" and kissed the severed head of the prophet jokanaan. Everyone watching is horrified and the king freaks out and has the guards kill her by crushing her with their shields. The End.

Now i am very glad that whole fucked up story didnt get adapted here cause that was some of the weirdest shit ive read this whole year, but it does give a lot of insight on the actions of misaki. Its heavily implied that misaki is maedas fiance that hes never met, and she seems to realize that through her madness in the interragation room, and her suspicions are confirmed when he write his signature on the document. It also seems that that realization in misaki caused the salome she was playing to mark maeda as her jokanaan, and then the two personas overlapped on one goal, seeing maeda/jokanaan again. Then she breaks out but dosent kill anyone, evidence that misaki is still somewhat in control. Then comes maedas encounter with salome/misaki. Salome begins her final act as if she is already holding jokanaans head on the silver platter, and then begins to "kiss" him or in this case presumably turn him into a vampire, but the misaki takes back control and burns herself up."

- Neckbeard69, from a website which shall not be named.

Hmmm.... For a moment there I thought I watched something else. Good thing they didn't adapt that entire bullshit.
Apr 1, 2021 6:49 AM

Jun 2016
I got to say, that is quite the underground base they've got there. Not like it did them any good tho. This show started off pretty weird, and honestly it wasn't the best opening episode. Congrats to Yoshinobu for his promotion, for doing something, I suppose.
A-Simple-SquireApr 14, 2021 9:25 PM

Apr 1, 2021 12:07 PM

Nov 2016
Cinematography and aesthetic can only do so much when the rest is bland. Boring start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2021 12:08 PM
Oct 2020
Not bad. It has its own style.

I think I will keep on for now.

And the ending song was cool.
Apr 1, 2021 6:07 PM
Aug 2018
I’m a sucker for artsy shit. Every season we get the same premises and it gets executed in the same generic way. So for one to get a show that sounds like it’s gonna be your typical vampire battle show, but it’s something completely different instead, I appreciate the surprise. I also loved the direction and the music. Feels like this anime showcased enough info to understand the story (and I think most people did), but not in an obvious or in your face kind of way, so maybe with future context, this show could have decent rewatch value.
Apr 1, 2021 7:25 PM
Aug 2018
I actually really enjoyed this first episode--which is surprising as I typically think 'Human-Vampire shows' have uninteresting characters with cliche and predictable plots. Not so sure why this is getting so much hate just on the first episode - it's probably my favorite pilot that has aired this season so far (though granted not much has come out yet)
But that's just like... my opinion... man
Apr 1, 2021 9:36 PM

Oct 2019
This animation is really unique, the ost feels old its beautiful
Apr 1, 2021 10:03 PM
May 2016
this is actually so good, no idea why its so underrated at the moment
Apr 1, 2021 10:21 PM

Mar 2011
So many people praising the art. I think it is its weakest point. Don't you see those washed up colors?
Apr 1, 2021 10:53 PM
Oct 2017
Genjurooo said:
So many people praising the art. I think it is its weakest point. Don't you see those washed up colors?

And why is that bad? It's just an art style. Maybe you're not used to it.
Apr 2, 2021 3:13 AM

Mar 2011
Niello said:

Don't you feel if the colors were more pronounced, it would have looked better? I was like: "but why are colors so washed-up?" the whole episode.

Then new anime comes up "Jouran, the whatever princess" dealing with the sameish time period. I was like: "man, this is how Mars Red should have looked". With more accentuated colors.

I stay for the story and for the way they portray vampires, like eerie, confusing, operating on another level. Still I think it would have worked better with better emphasized colors and contrast.

Actually since the episode came out (cause saw it right away) until now I suspected they spent too much time and resources on the moving animations and then rushed coloring or spent much less effort.

Apr 2, 2021 3:43 AM
Nov 2020
The art style and music choice made that first episode feel like a movie to me. It was a very nice "cinematic" experience overall. Hopefully this feeling/atmosphere is maintained for the rest of this series.

Also, I think the dialogue seemed "theatrical" because of that vampire actress lady. My understanding is that she suffered a fatal accident (something collapsed on her during a rehearsal) then that blonde character (who I suspect is a vampire) must have saved her by turning her into a vampire as well. I'm guessing the side effect of turning into a vampire (at least in that actress' case) is that your living memories are limited to what you were experiencing shortly before you were dying.
kuwangpaApr 2, 2021 3:47 AM
Apr 2, 2021 6:49 AM
Mar 2021
Is it Dub is available??
Apr 2, 2021 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
This is probably going to be my favorite anime this season. The only problem was the actual animation not being that good but everything else was brilliant. Also, this is probably going to be the best directed anime of the season if not the year. 5/5
Apr 2, 2021 10:27 AM

Dec 2016
It was really confusing but its aesthetics made me like it. I hope it doesn't continue to stay confusing in the coming episodes.

The animation is not like those highly rated and hyped animes that are coming out recently but I love these type of animation, they are really calming and refreshing to the eyes. Even if I don't understand a thing about this anime I will still continue to watch it just for the animation and ost. Even the way the characters spoke and the cinematography was so beautiful and calming.

That ED by HYDE, I can already tell I'll be addicted to it for months.

Can't wait for the next episode because I really want to understand what's happening...
Apr 2, 2021 12:52 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Very different. It's directing was really interesting with lots of dynamic lighting and shot composition. It also had the 21:9 aspect ratio making it feel almost like a film.

So it looks like the female vampire was his fiancé the whole time. A damn shame she had to die, but I saw it coming a mile away when I saw that the sun was rising. Why does it always have to be the pretty ones? Hopefully this doesn't turn into one of those shows where there was only like one attractive female, and the rest are ambiguous looking little boys with slight yaoi vibes, because if so I'm totally out.

I think this has a lot of potential, it definitely hooked me for the next episode. I assume that's when we'll meet the squad of vampires.
Apr 2, 2021 10:27 PM

Aug 2015
That was a fantastic start. Love the cinematography and imagery - the editing and hard cuts. The background art, aside from some meh 3D elements, is beautifully textured and coloured. That underground scene showing a section of the tunnels, then panning through the bunker/maze was especially cool. Super intrigued by this colonized society with the clashing of imperial Britain and Japan - fashion + architecture.

The main character and the boy who appears to be the villain are both really interesting too. The stoic experienced soldier and the dramatic secretly evil kid are both tropes I quite enjoy.

I was involved in a production of Salome so this was a pleasant surprise. - really wasn't expecting this reference.... ever, really... in anime.

First show this season I've been hooked on right away.
whitherApr 2, 2021 10:38 PM
Apr 2, 2021 11:26 PM

Oct 2015
Decent start with a nice subplot to kick things off. Some of the cuts were kind of abrupt, but it works in favor of the vampire scenes at least. I'm interested in seeing what direction this goes in with 1 cour. Based off this first episode it has potential, but for now it's just okay to me.
Apr 3, 2021 1:53 AM
Oct 2017
Genjurooo said:
Niello said:

Don't you feel if the colors were more pronounced, it would have looked better? I was like: "but why are colors so washed-up?" the whole episode.

Then new anime comes up "Jouran, the whatever princess" dealing with the sameish time period. I was like: "man, this is how Mars Red should have looked". With more accentuated colors.

I stay for the story and for the way they portray vampires, like eerie, confusing, operating on another level. Still I think it would have worked better with better emphasized colors and contrast.

Actually since the episode came out (cause saw it right away) until now I suspected they spent too much time and resources on the moving animations and then rushed coloring or spent much less effort.

I don't notice it tbh. The lack of shading and muted colour palette reminds me of shows like Shinsekai Yori and Kaiba, and I love those. Mashiro no Oto is also another show this season with similar style and that looks promising as well.
Apr 3, 2021 2:07 AM

Dec 2020
Interesting Anime i watch it because of vampire tags but this is something else!!
Apr 3, 2021 2:41 AM
Mar 2015
I'm not a fan of this, I struggled to stay interested. Hopefully the next couple episodes will draw me in more!
Apr 3, 2021 6:57 AM

Dec 2020
that was interesting lol. i like how the animation Looks but the movements are quite stiff, the cgi isnt great but its understandable on why they'd use it and it quite suits the anime. cant say i understood everything that was happening on the screen but i sure did enjoy it
Apr 3, 2021 10:01 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty intriguing stuff. Really love the art direction and directing in general. Who knows how the story will go but this has potential.
Apr 3, 2021 11:24 AM
Oct 2019
not a fan of that episode. too much dialogue, reciting a play over and over again

i also don't really understand what was going on with that vampire lady and the dual personality thing

might watch a couple more episodes but i'm not expecting to like this show as of now
Apr 3, 2021 2:51 PM
Feb 2021
I was kinda confused the entire time, but the art style really pulled me in. Ahh I’m so curious as to where this series will go.
Apr 3, 2021 6:12 PM

Oct 2008
not sure about this one but let's give it a try...
more on theatrical stage elements huh...?
4/5.

Apr 4, 2021 2:49 AM
Jul 2013
PiereDelecto said:
SigurdV said:
Already anime of the season for the art direction alone.

Fucking loved every second. Early on in the episode the cgi was a bit jarring but that isn't nearly enough for me to ignore everything this episode did well.

Yes. Yes, exactly.

Rinkahai said:
yes I agree with you, even seeing their discussions people enjoy it, so I think this is a bot's doing, I hope mod will fix it

If it is not a bot I really can't fathom such a statistic, I was also shocked.

Gave me Cowboy Bebop vibes with the art direciton. Class, class, class... felt like walking through an art gallery. Mars Red achieved a sophistication here in the first episode that is very hard to pretend to and easy to flub in a multitude of ways regardless of medium, film/anime/theatre/book - a fact demonstrated by how often this "classic" style is tried only to immediately produce such a concentration of big cheeseball energy that we can't help but guffaw and smh.

Interestingly, it would appear the vampire was in fact his fiance - who is now dead - incinerated by daylight in the square. Well then. I do have one complaint, about the Colonel's nemesis - why is he lit up like Shinji's bad boy crush from Evangelion? The one thing I felt came off as tacky and overdone, of the many bold risks they took to present a refined, cinematic experience marred only by the vibrating CGI wagons.

This was fucking cool - I hope it keeps the pace, they've certainly made a statement to start. Starts at a 10 for me.

MAL users don't like this kind of anime.

It looks to me like it could be really good so I'm interested to see what happens next.
Apr 4, 2021 9:39 AM

Dec 2014
Well, true that the first female vamp does look pretty and seductive, but why the fuck is Maeda being seduced when he was originally a vamp' hunter(?) of Code zero?

I am pretty sure that later in the plot there will be another female vamp that'd do the same to Maeda and cause the plot to be stupid.

Also, wasn't the theater prohibited after the incident? Why would an "employee" able to go in and out freely? No one has any doubt about that mysterious boy? For god sake...

I am still following my 3 eps rule, after that if it was still as stupid, rating 1 will be given.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

53 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 19, 2021

62 by St0rmblade »»
Oct 26, 2023 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 10, 2021

47 by BreakApart »»
Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

37 by Muow »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 24, 2021

40 by Muow »»
Feb 13, 2023 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.