Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If we refer back to past episodes, the whole stage theme with Salome in Episode 1, and last episode with the robotic vampire unit (that displaces Code Zero), it's all for the vampires and the Ascra blood experiments. Even the Dracula themes with the vampires create a permissible link.

Good to see that Code Zero is alive and kicking, just hiding on the sidelines with Captain Maeda, Yamagami and Kurusu. Lieutenant Nakajima is most certainly the REAL impostor, replying on both immortal humans and manufacturing machines to create vampire units with the Ascra blood, and seeing Maeda bow to Nakajima is almost an enigma to what Code Zero lives for, and fighting in the military ranks only depricates the situation further.

Such a sad, sad tale of betrayal and selling of ideals to create a superior Japan. Loyalty be to your own comrades more than the country.
May 10, 2021 11:33 AM

Jun 2019
This show can be confusing at times but sometimes it hits the spot. The vampire forces are ready to be dispatched.

In my personal opinion, Nakajima's plan was better. Instead of losing thousands of innocent human lives, why not just make a force that's immortal, to begin with. Not to say, that everyone should be forced to be a vampire. Just who's ready for it, go ahead. Then again, it's easier said than done, giving up on your humanity is not an easy task. To turn yourself into a living monster can be a gutsy move.

Maeda is about to become a vampire himself. But Yamagami and Kurusu don't want him to become a vampire since he's the only human left. Maeda sure losing everyone he cares about. Poor Yamagami. That sacrifice of his will be remembered.
May 10, 2021 11:38 AM
Sep 2015
Another sad episode. Can't we get more all-male vampire anime with a happy go lucky theme like Servamp and Blood Lad?
May 10, 2021 11:51 AM

Feb 2019
Damn what an episode. Nakajima had a point for sure about wanting to avoid people dying, but turning people to vampires is also essentially dying too. They can never live normal lives again and crave human blood. That’s not being alive. What’s the purpose of immortality if everyone you’ve ever known or loved dies before you? Right intention, wrong execution. Lest we forget that he also killed a cabinet minister so it’s not like he values everyone’s life.

I’m glad Maeda didn’t become a vampire in the end, it’s a damn shame we had to lose Yamaguchi to ensure that tho. Loved that guy, was always good fun and a really nice guy. Kurusu and Maeda will have their hands full going forward.
May 10, 2021 12:02 PM

Apr 2018
His plan is indeed a smart move but at the same time it feels wrong. Yamagachi was truly a good old man. I felt that Maede's loyalty to Lt was a bit 'fake'. I might be wrong but who knows.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 10, 2021 1:09 PM

Aug 2020
Seems like the population of vampires is rising everyday, may be problematic in the future if they aren't dealt with.
May 10, 2021 1:31 PM
Jan 2018
I can't help but think that his sacrifice wasn't necessary
May 10, 2021 1:41 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
RIP Yamagami.

The concept of the immortal forces is certainly a hot topic. It's probably too soon to give a proper opinion on it, as we've only just briefly received the reactions of already vampires - which all seem to shine a negative light upon it so far.
May 10, 2021 1:42 PM

Apr 2012
It was a good episode but I'm confused. Why did he walk out in the sun? I mean he already lifted that thing up from Maeda's leg, so he could have just thrown it away or something, there really was no need to burn to death idk.
May 10, 2021 1:43 PM
Jan 2021
I just wanna say one thing....THIS ANIME IS SOOOO GOOOOD AND SOOOOO UNDERRATED, it needs more love maaaan~~~
May 10, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2019
OokamiRisu said:
It was a good episode but I'm confused. Why did he walk out in the sun? I mean he already lifted that thing up from Maeda's leg, so he could have just thrown it away or something, there really was no need to burn to death idk.

Yeah, he could have, but he didn't. By his self-sacrifice he showed to wavering Maeda that Nakajima was wrong. And he's just tired of being a vampire.
May 10, 2021 2:57 PM

Apr 2012
the_joe said:
OokamiRisu said:

Yeah, he could have, but he didn't. By his self-sacrifice he showed to wavering Maeda that Nakajima was wrong. And he's just tired of being a vampire.

oooh i see... now i’m sad
May 10, 2021 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Every close person that knew Maeda for a long time is dying on him, what a tragic fate he has. I'm really sad that Yamagami died, he was so funny and brigh and he brought smiles to my face every episode. Rest in peace hero !
May 10, 2021 3:27 PM

Oct 2020
lolglolblol said:

completely unnecessary and easily avoidable. I'm sure there was a way to move the rubble without things ending up as they did.

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

May 10, 2021 5:08 PM
Apr 2021
SaintZeph said:
lolglolblol said:

completely unnecessary and easily avoidable. I'm sure there was a way to move the rubble without things ending up as they did.
I think he wanted to die.
He wanted to leave the world as himself rather than joining the vampire unit and become some kind of mindless soldier drone.
May 10, 2021 5:29 PM

Sep 2017
Wow who woulda thought a random earthquake would just happen and mess so much up. Yamagami's death did feel unnecessary but if you consider that he probably didn't want to continue living as a vampire, especially when consider what was just discussed with the vampire drone units, it makes sense. Still tho with that big ass metal rod going through him is he gonna be able to get outta this without becoming a vamp? I'm not too sure.
May 10, 2021 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
What an interesting episode at each moment of this show leaves every good moment is mysterious.

But this ending was very well informed.
May 10, 2021 6:49 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Such a wild turn of event. General Nakajima was truly the real villain of the show by turning on all of his own men into those undead robotical vampires, including Maeda at the end of these episode talk. Thats explained why no special soldiers unit on duty at the previous riot areas. All of them has been turned into that things! What is even more sad news is that he also worked with the blonde vampire who in fact is the real supplier of Ascra vials for Nakajima. Very good twist, ngl. Its all because of his twisted mind, after his daughter turned to be a vampire. No other shit reason for the old man....

Anyway, respect for the tempura man. Now he can be out for the comic reliefs duty, and rest in peace in the real matter, until his wife come to visit him. What about Kurusu? The boy can't be death too, right? Also, the conversation at the newspaper office kinda funny. The reporter lady pouting was cute. The boss finally acknowledged the vampire issues by letting the news theme as the vampire one. It will seriously be more fun, from now on....
badabassMay 10, 2021 6:53 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 10, 2021 8:25 PM

Oct 2011
Dang, I think Yamagami was just tired and ready to die instead of continuing on as a vampire. rip
May 10, 2021 10:13 PM

Oct 2019
SaintZeph said:
lolglolblol said:

he didn't sacrifice himself to save him, he did it to prove his point. it was basically a suicide.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 10, 2021 10:14 PM

Oct 2019
lolglolblol said:

he didn't sacrifice himself to save him, he did it to prove his point. it was basically a suicide.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 10, 2021 10:39 PM
Feb 2019
the first half was boring but then i didnt expect that kind of ending, damn thats so sad!
May 11, 2021 12:41 AM

May 2018
Yeah, what Yamagami did way practically a suicide. His ideals about serving to his country being crashed (literally and figuratively), also he never properly adapted to the life of a vampire.
Yet another relatively close to Maeda person chooses selfcombustion.
May 11, 2021 12:45 AM

Aug 2008
oh damn, he killed himself o.o
The spider is watching
May 11, 2021 1:46 AM

Mar 2016
Of course those two men were teammates. It almost always happens!

When Suwa was hanging upside down, I wanted to spiderman kiss him.

It really was an earthquake? I thought Nakajima did that since he'd made sure to get out himself.

Oh, Misaki is Nakajima's daughter! That makes sense!!

How is Maeda going to survive that? I don't think he'll turn into a vampire, because it won't be that interesting. But, other options don't seem realistic.
(Edit: I realise I just implied that saving a person by turning them into a vampire is realistic. I'm an idiot.)

Yamagami's death seemed quite avoidable! It reminded me of Jack's death in Titanic.
May 11, 2021 2:35 AM

Oct 2016
Really good episode! Damn, all those people that didn't know that they ingested some ascra combusted just like that. Good for Aoi, she finally convinced her boss to report about human combustion and vampires, she was pretty adorable this episode.

While Nakajima had some good intensions, turning your men into mindless vampires ain't really it and from what I saw, I think it's Rufus that's basically controlling them.

If it weren't for Misaki telling Maeda to stop Lt. Nakajima then he probably would have followed his orders without a doubt. R.I.P. Yamagami, he didn't have to die he was a great dude but, he chose to, he didn't want to become a vampire anyway, maybe he can finally visit his wife as a real spirit this time. Well, how's Maeda gonna survive with a hole in his body, I wonder if he'll drink the ascra.
May 11, 2021 8:41 AM

Jul 2013
Yamagami :/ He didn't have to die, aw, I will miss his interactions with Kurusu.

Yeah Nakajima's plan is genius, but it also feels immoral somehow.
May 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Sep 2020
This was another interesting episode and everyone fighting seemed real tense, Nakajima seems good in his intentions and Maeda may be willing to do whatever he says but I doubt he wants to be a vampire. He killed his subordinate who could have been turned and I assume he wants to respect Misaki's wishes but he has a iron will to follow the man who saved his life. A real tough decision especially with his comrades telling him to stop.

The end felt kinda stupid however, the perfectly timed earthquake and Yamagami's sacrifice which felt noble but somewhat unnecessary and stupid. I swear he could have moved that without going into the sun. Also that whole scene (from the earthquake to being under the ruble) felt like it was missing some audio and a little rushed imo.

Otherwise a great and interesting episode.

May 11, 2021 4:46 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
He was going to visit his wife every year. I hope ghosts are real now
May 11, 2021 4:56 PM

Nov 2019
It takes talent to make a show about vampires this boring, right..

I so want to believe that..

But i've seen too many vampire animes to know that's not true..
May 11, 2021 6:59 PM

Jun 2019
Arguably the best episode so far.

Nakajima’s rationale behind turning the special unit into vampires is flawed, but pretty understandable. The sacrifice of those 100 soldiers could prevent the deaths of millions of soldiers. However, it is still horrible to take away their humanity and force them to kill other people for all eternity.

I really liked Yamagami’s sacrifice to convice Maeda not to become a vampire, especially because he did so on his own terms after saving Maeda from the earthquake aftermath.
May 11, 2021 10:09 PM

Oct 2008
this episode really hits hard! so many strong feels and brilliant OST!
5/5.
oh no! but why Yamagami!?!?!?

May 12, 2021 5:53 AM
Mar 2021
Blue_Maroon said:
Arguably the best episode so far.

Nakajima’s rationale behind turning the special unit into vampires is flawed, but pretty understandable. The sacrifice of those 100 soldiers could prevent the deaths of millions of soldiers. However, it is still horrible to take away their humanity and force them to kill other people for all eternity.

I really liked Yamagami’s sacrifice to convice Maeda not to become a vampire, especially because he did so on his own terms after saving Maeda from the earthquake aftermath.

I think the problem is he is still sacrificing young men by turning them into vampires. They were right when he said he robbed their futures from them, its death by another method essentially.

Not to mention Vampires aren't that powerful in this universe, the sun will end them almost immediately and they can be killed by a skilled swordsman. Pretty limited as super soldiers.
May 12, 2021 10:03 AM
Mar 2015
Vampire unit is terrible plan Poor Yamaguchi He got flamed
May 12, 2021 12:29 PM
Oct 2019
this is so stupid: save humanity by...turning them into vampires

there was no reason for that dude to kill himself. again, so stupid
May 12, 2021 7:33 PM

Nov 2010
It's the day Great Kanto Earthquake struck Tokyo. In the day without any hydraulic machinery, the power of Vampire was the only option to help his mate and Yamagami opted for it. I didn't expect such end of him, clumsy and unsophisticated but good-natured man.
May 13, 2021 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
My man (Yamagami) just died and that won't mean shit to most. But like, it hurts. He was such a great man despite him being classified as a lesser vampire.

I hope him and his wife find peace in their deaths together finally. <3
May 15, 2021 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
for a minute i was so confused whether maeda was a good guy or a bad one in the end, i also shed a tear when yamagami died ngl
May 15, 2021 4:59 PM
Jun 2015
I swear, this anime gets me every damn week. It's so good! Can't believe is so underrated 😔

I feel so bad about Yamagami's death 😭 ...but I think it was neccesary at some point. Idk, it feels kinda poetic even. Like Maeda needed that to open his damn eyes (god it annoyed me that he ignored Misaki's last wish and played along with the whole "you're a vampire, you don't get it" thing Nakajima was saying).
May 18, 2021 5:25 PM

Jan 2008
SaintZeph said:
lolglolblol said:

Way to completely miss the point. Of course it was avoidable. Yamagami did it on purpose to show Maeda that he shouldn't give up his humanity.
May 29, 2021 9:42 AM

Dec 2016
It's sad that Yamagami had to die like that. Even though he was pretty useless in most cases he did livened up the mood by unnecessary talking. Since this anime is kinda boring Yamagami and Kurusu's pointless talking brought the humor of this show even if it's just a little.

Kurusu will be really saddened after learning about Yamagami.
Aug 15, 2021 5:33 AM

Feb 2018
''While we struggle desperately to stay human, how can you sacrifice your humanity so easily?'' damn.. Yamagami spat facts. Also that's a hell of a way to go F.
Sep 2, 2021 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
I can't say I completely disagree with Nakajima's diabolic plan as it would save thousands of young soldiers at the cost of ruining ones turned into immortal vampires. Rip Yamagami, although his death felt kinda forced I guess it was meant to show that its better to die than to live as vampire soldier.

Feb 13, 2023 3:54 AM

Dec 2020
Ah yes the typical the means doesn't justify the results but I'm going with it for the greater good thinking. So the general guy was behind it all. Madea being a sheep right now too but seeing his robot parts I guess he owed him his life or something.

The death was unnecessary but it was prob just to snap Madea out of it
Mar 21, 2023 2:45 AM

Aug 2012
ffs! Why’d they kill off the best character in the show? I was really enjoying this series until right now.
May 5, 2023 12:40 AM
Sep 2020
Well I hope that taught Maeda a lesson about valuing his humanity.

I don't understand why Yamagami has to sacrifice himself tho. Couldn't he have put the boulder in a more shady spot ^^;. I'm thinking it's because he wanted to sacrifice himself to teach Maeda not to take his humanity for granted. Still super sad to see him go like that (-ω-、)
Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM

Jul 2015
It was an outstanding episode, but why did Yamagami sacrifice himself there? He didn't have to do it to lift the boulder at all. Also, I don't know why this show is that lowly ranked as I think it is going great. I hope they don't screw it up in the next episodes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

53 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 19, 2021

62 by St0rmblade »»
Oct 26, 2023 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

184 by Muow »»
Apr 22, 2023 3:51 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

37 by Muow »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 24, 2021

40 by Muow »»
Feb 13, 2023 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.