Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 3, 2021 11:38 AM
Feb 2016
TheHalfOtaku123 said:
Kiyotaka696 said:

no him saying its trash because there is not action is the equivalence of saying Haikyuu is trash because there isn't a lot of girls. basically this anime isn't very action based but rather dialogue so if someone say i hate it because there isn't action then its best to say to stop watching its like giving an advice rather then gatekeeping.
from his opinion abot this ep Re: Zero is not for him

The main problem is that had a huge setup in previous episodes for the fights, then suddenly, we get a glimpse of the fights then we go back to the trials again. I personally think it would be better if they adapt each scene into seperate episodes, instead of splitting up the scenes and switching between each scenes every episode considering that theres so many things happening at once, seeing only a glimpse of each scene every episode is very annoying. Or at least split it into bigger pieces instead. I know they want to make it seem like everything is happening at the same time, but if the scenes are split into such small pieces, people will just anticipate the part they like the most and then feel bored when another scene interupt it. This is one of the few things i dislike with Tappei's writting.

Also many people dislike dialogue in anime bacause they like to narrate every single thing they are feeling and thinking which is very cringy and unnatural. Also having no pauses between dialogues between geuss,fortuna and emilia is also very tiring and wierd to listen to,they could just adapt the first few exchanges, then just make a montage for the rest of the conversation, but the part with archi and echidna was pretty well done

There was nothing wrong with Emilia's dialogue nor her trial.

I actually prefer the pacing this episode and half-way expected it as an anime only because there was no possible way that the mansion would be resolved in one episode and to jam it in with Emilia's trial and Ram x Puck vs Roswaal would be horrific.

Best way to do it for this episode and moving forward would be to build a crescendo effect. As the stakes raise in the mansion, Emilia's stakes rose as well (Face the disaster that is yet to come). Which the anime did.

Hard to tell on what note the season will end, but so far the pacing isn't the problem at all.
Mar 3, 2021 11:42 AM

Nov 2019
I appreciate shoe-horning every piece of dialogue, even of it feels like an audiobook, but please don't make any action scene off-screen and/or badly animated. That'll be an injustice to the source. I think I love this arc as much as the Ch***** Arc from HxH, though what is already great could have been even better... But we move on. Please rock these last three episodes and force me to add atleast one Re:Zero entry into my favorites section!

Btw, my worries are because in 3 episodes, they have to fit at least:
1. Emilia 3rd trial
2. Garf vs Elsa
3. Freddie vs Maylie
4. Subaru, Otto and Petra vs Guiltylaw
5. Freedom for Beako
6. Ram and Puck vs Roswaal
7. Great Rabbit extermination (I guess, going by OP)
Laplace_kunMar 3, 2021 11:49 AM
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Mar 3, 2021 11:43 AM

Mar 2018
Garf the man. Betty is pretty cute too. How will the gang get past the Mabeast?

The conversation with Archi, then Echidna actually had me in my feels, so good :,((.
It’s amazing how someone can see their picture-perfect world, and still manage to return to their world.

Lake scene was amazing.
Mar 3, 2021 11:43 AM

Aug 2018
Only 3 episodes left, my brain trembles!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Mar 3, 2021 11:47 AM

Aug 2011
I was telling myself, since last EP. They are going to put Garfiel, Feederica on a fight with the two psychos, was asking myself where was Otto, only. Subaru situation top. Then, they Will CUT to emilia's trial, which is pretty good tio, but.. c'mon. Just remembered, Elsa quote about almost diyng at the capital, Just another day being remembered How OP Reinheard is. Really excited, for NEXT WEEK ONLY (that Hurts, but.. its life)
Mar 3, 2021 11:51 AM

Feb 2014
Once again, White Fox makes another 29 minute episode feel too short, as this episode was really satisfying.

The fight between Elsa and Garfiel has only begun and so far, it's very close between the two. Aside from a few "critics" setting their animation standards too bloody high as usual, the battle animation is good enough for me. Nothing amazing, but not rubbish at all.

Not just that, but Subaru's progress with Beatrice is going to take sometime for it to work, so while Frederica deals with Elsa's companion, Maylie, Subaru and the others have to deal with an annoying mabeast if they want to get to Roswaal's office.

Meanwhile, the second trial for Emilia was the main highlight of the episode. Not only was her interactions with Fortuna and Geuse really cute and bittersweet, but I was impressed with how White Fox animated Emilia jumping off the cliff and into the lake, including a slow-mo just before she hit the water.

I do look forward to seeing how Emilia gets on with her third and final trial, as well as the ongoing battles that're happening at the same time.
Mar 3, 2021 11:56 AM
Jul 2017
This is easily the best episode so far, and it will get only better.
The animation was so beautiful; better than what I hoped for, I'm glad that they didn't rush the second trial. I hope they won't off-screen the third one.
I cried a lot while watching this masterpiece. I hope the best for Whitefox.

@Gilgameshuu
I hope this guy sings out and forgets his password
Mar 3, 2021 11:59 AM

Sep 2020
Really clever title.
The Elsa vs Garfiel fight was underwhelming ngl. I was expecting a lot lot more but, sometimes you don't get what you want.

Beako :(

Subaru being a pro at messing up situations like this! I honestly was sooo mad at him when I read this but I promise you the outcome more than compensates it!

Fredericaaaaaaaaa!

LMAFAOOOOOO

Twisted thinking, lmao

She tried tho!

Lmaooooooo

Looks nice, although sad it's CGI

They would've been a nice couple!

Hahaha

Okay, so compared to the web novel they changed some details :

Correction: *was (sorry)

Oh boy, she has noooo idea

Emilia has finally, grown up!

Echidna, why are you hurting?

Gorgeous shot!

I know that this was about Emilia but I just can't stop thinking about Echidna. There's more to her than meets the eye

Yet another 10/10 I honestly feel like 9/10 because of some details changed and the weird looking mabeasts (I just can't get over them, lmaoooo) but it deserves that 10/10

Great work WhiteFox!

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
Mar 3, 2021 12:17 PM
Jul 2017
Winter_Fox said:
What the hell am i only one who love this episode? By far this is the best one for me.

Emilia development was crazy. At first, i didn't see her change after 1st trial but the 2nd? I can see how her attitude change a lot, how she perceive things and finally able to forget what lies behind the past. It was heartwarming, and make me cry at best.

The only downside for me was the fight scenes, some animation look weird and all, but I immediately knew that this was not the highlight of the episode, but Emilia powerful 2nd trial. It will be better if we see emilia trial first, then put the mansion fight after. It was upside down so the emotional moments was cut off.

Don't mind them;

@Gilgameshuu was always more compatible with melancholy than Hector, his job is to nitpick.

The others are either Tsunderes or shocked by how good this episode was, easily the best and the next ones will even surpass it; when was the last time we had a well-written female character in an Isekai? Never!
Mar 3, 2021 12:27 PM
Aug 2020
Another amazing episode. Aot doesn’t have shit on this. WHY THE FUCK DID THE SCORE GO DOWN AGAIN WTF?!
Mar 3, 2021 12:29 PM
Nov 2013
Winter_Fox said:
glaceon_cute said:

I know they happen at the same time without the need to put them in the same episode, tbh. Since I just need to look at the background and remember how long they need to walk from santuary to mansion.

To be precise, the action part would be put in disadvantage because of this, rather than the Emilia's part. Battle being disrupted would lead to the intense being disrupted, and intense is what makes a battle a good action scene. People like watching action really hate the flow being disrupted (and may just make them hate the dialogue scene more later lmao)

Emilia's part is a character dev one, which has a gentle, slow flow, and its emotional part actually finished in the ep without being disrupted.

Just swap it bro, emilia trial first then the action. Simple

Lol that's actually a better option than what we got and they could end the ep in a better cliff-hanger manner too.
Mar 3, 2021 12:38 PM

May 2018
Hopefully Beatrice will finally budge next episode haha
Mar 3, 2021 12:53 PM
Apr 2016
Wait a minute... Does the fact Archi created from Emilia's memories doesn't know what happened to Petelgeuse (19:13) mean Emilia didn't hear about Subaru murdering him?
Mar 3, 2021 1:00 PM
Jul 2017
JanPri said:
Wait a minute... Does the fact Archi created from Emilia's memories doesn't know what happened to Petelgeuse (19:13) mean Emilia didn't hear about Subaru murdering him?

Even if she knew that Subaru killed "Sloth" or "Petelguese" she won't connect the dots that he's Guese.
Mar 3, 2021 1:17 PM

Mar 2020
The scene of Emilia jumping into the lake was beautiful.
Mar 3, 2021 1:21 PM

Nov 2019
I preferred the way they did it in the webnovel. The way they did it there was it was the all of the action at the mansion first, then Emilia doing the rest of the trials. The way they cut it off the action here may turn off some people. And the action was a little janky. The content is still great though.
Mar 3, 2021 1:23 PM
Nov 2013
TheHalfOtaku123 said:

Also many people dislike dialogue in anime bacause they like to narrate every single thing they are feeling and thinking which is very cringy and unnatural. Also having no pauses between dialogues between geuss,fortuna and emilia is also very tiring and wierd to listen to,they could just adapt the first few exchanges, then just make a montage for the rest of the conversation, but the part with archi and echidna was pretty well done

I'm okay with dialogue-heavied because I watch mystery-solving and stuff, but IMO, the exact word I would use to describe dialogue scenes in this season is "uncreative". The lines are always good written tbh. Dialogue this ep is actually good enough, but no mean to reach a "above good" standard for anime. In novels, two people sitting and standing, doing nothing but talk may work because we are reading, but not on the screen. The problem why dialogue feels so boring even if they provide good stuff about characters and plot is because of the way these converstation being "shown". For example, let takes Otto vs Subaru's dialogue is ep 15. This one feels particularly good because of the movement Otto does during the talk. He moves his hands and gestures in exaggerated manner to show he is the merchant that used to such thing, and he shows his sincere by touching his heart. The conversation also happens at the same time as they fights. The backgrounds also changes to show their insight. It's not static.

Compare to it, take the Emilia's family talk this ep for example. The three dont need to just sit there and talk. The staff can show Emilia is happy by having her energetically sets up the food on the blanket, and they can talk while doing that to make the scene less static. They don't need to just zoom at Emilia's face everytime she talks, they can use the background or any symbol, changes the camera angle to something else that subtly shows her emotion.

That's what I mean the dialogue scenes are not creative and static. Novel, they can do such thing without being too jarring, but not anime. This is the problem when the studio is trying to adapt the novel as what it is, and forgets to input stuff that only anime can show to us but not the novels.
glaceon_cuteMar 3, 2021 1:27 PM
Mar 3, 2021 1:57 PM

Apr 2018
Didn't know this show has an ED
Mar 3, 2021 2:09 PM

Feb 2020
Episode was a bit weak imo. The biggest problem for me was was cutting the mansion fight in the middle of it. I got hyped that after some heavy dialogues eps we would finally get some intense action, but oh well guess its gonna be for the next one.

Betty and Subaru conversation ended a bit weird, you would think he will use any method to convince her to go and escape with him since everyone outside is literally fighting for their lifes so idk why he said he can't be ''that person'' after all that. I expect we get a proper reason afterwards.

And like Echidna said, after the first trial, the next two were going to be easy in comparison. Yea, an impossible present with Fortuna, Geuse and Emilia was cute but nothing impressive imo. That lake scene though, simple beautiful.
Just wondering why was Echidna crying, guess we still need to know a lot about her and her past.

Overall 3/5 episode.
Mar 3, 2021 2:10 PM

Jan 2021
OMG I LOVED THE SCENE WHERE EMILIA JUMPED INTO THE LAKE

Another episode down 3 more to go.

I was not expecting Emilia to finish the second trial in just 1 episode thought it would take at the very lest 2. But i'm not complaining. The talk with Beatrice was a surprise I was expecting Subaru to say "I am that person" so Im a little curios how Subaru is gonna get Beatrice to help him.

Overall another great episode 5/5
Mar 3, 2021 2:12 PM
Nov 2014
beatrice is so cute in this episode, i laughed so hard when she kicks subaru from her library room lol.

good to see rem again with a small cameo being carried by subaru and frederica, it's been too long.
Mar 3, 2021 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
Garfiel holding his own against Elsa is pretty neat, the boy got spunk. Seems Rem was saved by Frederica, while Subaru got kicked out of the secret library again XD

Another trial passed by Emilia and only one remaining, I feel that this will be the worst one... I wonder what this Trial will show her of the future and how grim it might actually be. Excited to find out.
Mar 3, 2021 2:18 PM
Mar 2015
The battles continue as Emila passes the second test
Mar 3, 2021 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
HappyCocoa said:
Episode was a bit weak imo. The biggest problem for me was was cutting the mansion fight in the middle of it. I got hyped that after some heavy dialogues eps we would finally get some intense action, but oh well guess its gonna be for the next one.

Betty and Subaru conversation ended a bit weird, you would think he will use any method to convince her to go and escape with him since everyone outside is literally fighting for their lifes so idk why he said he can't be ''that person'' after all that. I expect we get a proper reason afterwards.

And like Echidna said, after the first trial, the next two were going to be easy in comparison. Yea, an impossible present with Fortuna, Geuse and Emilia was cute but nothing impressive imo. That lake scene though, simple beautiful.
Just wondering why was Echidna crying, guess we still need to know a lot about her and her past.

Overall 3/5 episode.

To address some of your problems.

1. Yeah the LN jumps between the 2 point of views. Don’t really know why WF chose to adapt it in this specific format but I guess it because you would either end up with a full mansion episode and a full Emilia trial episode or half and half of both.

2. He hasn’t given up yet. Mabeasts were a bit distracting lol

3. I wouldn’t say that it’s “impressive” but it’s great to see her character develop further regardless.
Mar 3, 2021 2:24 PM

Sep 2015
I don't know if it's this arc in particular or the fact that i am a few years older compared on when I started watchin Re Zero but this is starting to feel, for me at least, really boring.

Did we already passed the peak of Re Zero and the rest is just more of the same (or worse) or the pase starts to go a little bit faster on the following arc?
Mar 3, 2021 2:26 PM
Jan 2021
That ep was great i really liked the the second trail and the lake scene. The music and the animation were great and i look forward to see what is up next in the mansion.
Mar 3, 2021 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Antearion said:
This was an okay episode.

I'm fan boy of this series and love the monogatari series, so the "heavy dialogue" didn't brother me. After a season and a half I would think yall be use to it by now lol. The mansion part being cut like that was weird. The build to it lead me to believe that we would have a whole episode to it, but I guess not. Not much to say on that end.

Subaru ending conversation with Betty was odd. Like I get it where he was going with I can be that person. But you say that she dumb and you can't be that person knowing anybody would get mad at you for being so rude. Like you say that, while the mansion getting attack, and to the person you were trying to save? That was just bad writing on someone's part.

Same goes for the second trail. I know Emilia has gotten more determined and focus, but that felt way to easy. Honestly it felt like what was even the point. The whole mirror thing also felt odd. I thought see couldn't see herself or something, but she just realized she didn't look like Mother Fortuna? IMO they could have just kept that out lol. They could have just told me she passed it with a brief summary. I did not have to see it lol.

However, Echidna did surprise me. Why was she crying? I thought she just hated Emilia or found her to gullible. Hell I even thought she was just heated because Subaru picked Emilia over her. Now I feel like there are layers that need to be explored. Maybe she feels envious towards her? Maybe she wanted to have people to love her like Emilia had? Shit I just realized we don't know how the Witches became the Witches. Maybe Echidna been through some shit.

Oh that dive seen with Emilia at the lake was bad ass. The slow down into the reflection was amazing, but it still was a weak episode lol.

2/5.

Your points don’t make much sense to me. Subarus nature has always been brash and direct. He didn’t mean what he said in that context but Betty misunderstood him.

As for your point about the mansion, there’s 2 ways they could’ve gone about it. Adapting her trials back to back or adapting the mansion thing together. Yeah that was a bit of a weird jump.

The 2nd trial was easy because it was supposed to be much easier. Subaru spent like 10 minutes on his and so did Emilia. It’s much easier because having to face her unthinkable present was much easier than her traumatic past. She’s accepted it and Echidna literally stated that 2+3 would be much easier.

Don’t really know why you think it’s weak lol
Mar 3, 2021 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
SrPlatin_ said:
I don't know if it's this arc in particular or the fact that i am a few years older compared on when I started watchin Re Zero but this is starting to feel, for me at least, really boring.

Did we already passed the peak of Re Zero and the rest is just more of the same (or worse) or the pase starts to go a little bit faster on the following arc?

Following arc starts a little slow and then it’s pretty much straight action. Should be nice with some great animation
Mar 3, 2021 2:59 PM
Mar 2016
Antearion said:
This was an okay episode.

I'm fan boy of this series and love the monogatari series, so the "heavy dialogue" didn't brother me. After a season and a half I would think yall be use to it by now lol. The mansion part being cut like that was weird. The build to it lead me to believe that we would have a whole episode to it, but I guess not. Not much to say on that end.

Subaru ending conversation with Betty was odd. Like I get it where he was going with I can be that person. But you say that she dumb and you can't be that person knowing anybody would get mad at you for being so rude. Like you say that, while the mansion getting attack, and to the person you were trying to save? That was just bad writing on someone's part.

Same goes for the second trail. I know Emilia has gotten more determined and focus, but that felt way to easy. Honestly it felt like what was even the point. The whole mirror thing also felt odd. I thought see couldn't see herself or something, but she just realized she didn't look like Mother Fortuna? IMO they could have just kept that out lol. They could have just told me she passed it with a brief summary. I did not have to see it lol.

However, Echidna did surprise me. Why was she crying? I thought she just hated Emilia or found her to gullible. Hell I even thought she was just heated because Subaru picked Emilia over her. Now I feel like there are layers that need to be explored. Maybe she feels envious towards her? Maybe she wanted to have people to love her like Emilia had? Shit I just realized we don't know how the Witches became the Witches. Maybe Echidna been through some shit.

Oh that dive seen with Emilia at the lake was bad ass. The slow down into the reflection was amazing, but it still was a weak episode lol.

2/5.

rewatch the entire series
Mar 3, 2021 3:01 PM
May 2020
those trials are actually tough, they could easily fuck up your mind, but feels good to see that she's stronger now... and poor Echidna, someone give her a hug
Mar 3, 2021 3:14 PM

Nov 2013
holy shit, this episode was awesome

from seeing the "happy world", the Emilia teasing the2, then Emilia going away, remembering both the bad and happy parts from before, saying good things about Subaru, Ram and everyone else, and also... "onii-chan"

and ofc, my favorite part had to be the jump, just wow, that stop when she was close to the water wonder if that would make a good profile picture

curious about next episode, i would probably run away just from hearing that "a disaster yet to come", f** hell haha

the fight looked cool, go Garf

the beast is scary, wonder if onee-sama will be able to beat it
Petra throwing her tongue before running away was kinda funny

(not reading comments for re:zero and titan for obvious reasons)
winddevil1Mar 3, 2021 3:18 PM
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 3, 2021 3:14 PM

Feb 2020
SubaruSIMP23 said:
HappyCocoa said:

Overall 3/5 episode.

To address some of your problems.

1. Yeah the LN jumps between the 2 point of views. Don’t really know why WF chose to adapt it in this specific format but I guess it because you would either end up with a full mansion episode and a full Emilia trial episode or half and half of both.

2. He hasn’t given up yet. Mabeasts were a bit distracting lol

3. I wouldn’t say that it’s “impressive” but it’s great to see her character develop further regardless.

1. Welp if it is like that even in the LN there is not much to do here, not a fan of how the author handle this but is fine i guess.

2. Yea I know he hasn't given up yet, I just found it weird how he was this close to convince her but he didn't. I suppose Subaru likes doing things the hard way xD.

3. Totally subjective here and I understand that but we already saw tons of her ''character development'', she remembered and accepted her past, she grows up and she finally stops crying for her problems. I think I just want some epic conclusion to all this sanctuary thing but welp, I guess that's main female character for you x'D
Mar 3, 2021 3:15 PM
Feb 2016
SrPlatin_ said:

rewatch the series when this season is over and you'll understand why it's so good
Mar 3, 2021 3:16 PM
Feb 2021
SubaruSIMP23 said:
SrPlatin_ said:

Following arc starts a little slow and then it’s pretty much straight action. Should be nice with some great animation

9/10 readers would probably agree that the current peak of ReZero based on the themes it presents is in arc 6, and arc 5 is also a great addition and proof that the story can handle a lot of action well.

I don't really know what your age has to do with you finding it boring, I might be misunderstanding you but that sounds quite pretentious if you meant that how I'm interpreting it.
Mar 3, 2021 3:21 PM

May 2012
SubaruSIMP23 said:
Your points don’t make much sense to me. Subarus nature has always been brash and direct. He didn’t mean what he said in that context but Betty misunderstood him.

As for your point about the mansion, there’s 2 ways they could’ve gone about it. Adapting her trials back to back or adapting the mansion thing together. Yeah that was a bit of a weird jump.

The 2nd trial was easy because it was supposed to be much easier. Subaru spent like 10 minutes on his and so did Emilia. It’s much easier because having to face her unthinkable present was much easier than her traumatic past. She’s accepted it and Echidna literally stated that 2+3 would be much easier.

1. Just because Subaru is brash and direct doesn't excuse his dumbass behavior in that moment lol. Plus he has mature way pass the point of not reading the room. Like his logic was: Let me be an asshole while two psycho assassins are trying to kill us lmao.

2. Why would the second trail be easier the first? Logically again, that doesn't make any sense lol. Are we going down in difficulty? There's no way you comparing the experience of his second trail to hers lol. Subaru worked because we didn't know anything about the presents outcome. The results we never get to see and he's reliving it all through the trail. It worked really well, because it was unexpected for him and us. That shit was insane. As for Emilia, she knows and we know what happened because of the first trail. So it doesn't land because all the character development happened already. It would have been better if Emilia went in depth of how this would have been different if she stayed hidden or how much they could have been a family. Exploring upon the fact that because she showed herself to Geuse, she ruin a possible present of having a mother and a father. An entire episode of this would have hit a lot better than what we got. That's why she ate, said they would make a good family, and then dived into the lake for some reason lol.

It's weak because its bad writing and I love this series lol. Sometimes you miss and that's okay. It may have worked well in the novel version (I'm an only anime watcher) , but here it felt like a weird filler. I would have rather seen the development of the mansion, then have seen Emilia go on a picnic. Hell they could have shown what's happening with Ram lol.
Mar 3, 2021 3:23 PM

Sep 2020
Honestly, I appreciate the story and character development, dont get me wrong here, but the pacing man, THE P...A...C...I.....N.....G is soooo slow and I feel like its getting slower every episode even more. Last 20 episodes, its just sanctuary, sanctuary, sanctuary, if its not directly sanctuary its just trials, trials, trials over and over again. Dragging dialogue which is not adding any value right now, maybe some of it could be important in the future episodes(idk)? I don't know how to describe the feeling I have when I'm actually watching it, I feel bored but still enjoy the show? I hope the next season pacing will get just a lil faster.
Mar 3, 2021 3:26 PM

Apr 2008
Emilia's "unthinkable present" was so sweet ;_; Her wanting to be admired may sound a little arrogant, but she actually wants to be a better person for the sake of all those who love her. That's the good "arrogance" that everyone should need.

Am I the only one that would have preferred a whole episode all dedicated to her, though? I really wanted to see all the situation at the Mansion BEFORE getting back to Emilia.
Mar 3, 2021 3:32 PM
Feb 2016
Antearion said:
SubaruSIMP23 said:

1. Just because Subaru is brash and direct doesn't excuse his dumbass behavior in that moment lol. Plus he has mature way pass the point of not reading the room. Like his logic was: Let me be an asshole while two psycho assassins are trying to kill us lmao.

2. Why would the second trail be easier the first? Logically again, that doesn't make any sense lol. Are we going down in difficulty? There's no way you comparing the experience of his second trail to hers lol. Subaru worked because we didn't know anything about the presents outcome. The results we never get to see and he's reliving it all through the trail. It worked really well, because it was unexpected for him and us. That shit was insane. As for Emilia, she knows and we know what happened because of the first trail. So it doesn't land because all the character development happened already. It would have been better if Emilia went in depth of how this would have been different if she stayed hidden or how much they could have been a family. Exploring upon the fact that because she showed herself to Geuse, she ruin a possible present of having a mother and a father. An entire episode of this would have hit a lot better than what we got. That's why she ate, said they would make a good family, and then dived into the lake for some reason lol.

It's weak because its bad writing and I love this series lol. Sometimes you miss and that's okay. It may have worked well in the novel version (I'm an only anime watcher) , but here it felt like a weird filler. I would have rather seen the development of the mansion, then have seen Emilia go on a picnic. Hell they could have shown what's happening with Ram lol.

1) She didn't let him finish, which was an unexpected outcome.

2) You missed the point. Emilia's second trial was about accepting her CURRENT present (Subaru and the others) while rejecting her blissful present (life with Fortuna and Geuse). Whats more, one line alone was deeper than more characterization I've seen in a very, very long time.

And that's when she said in a quite indignant and annoyed manner, "Geez, just how long have I been protected?" If you watched the Frozen Bonds OVA (which it referenced) then you'll understand even more.

And finally, when she said how she looked LESS like Fortuna than she thought, was beyond any other character moment we've seen besides Subaru in Episode 18. Emilia is not only finding out more about who she WAS (past), but also, who she currently IS and WANT to be, which we saw flashes of in Season 1 even though she played a more passive role.

I used to be very neutral on Emilia at best and somewhat down on her, but now she's my second favorite character and watching her on screen is a gift. She's literally blowing me away with each scene. It's like watching a butterfly come out of a cocoon before your very eyes.

If you can't see that then maybe you need to rewatch the series.
Mar 3, 2021 3:45 PM
Feb 2020
why was echdina crying? did she actually feel bad for emilia?
Mar 3, 2021 3:53 PM

Jul 2014
MuraragiKoyomi said:
It wasn't explained in the LN either. My theory is
Mar 3, 2021 3:56 PM

Sep 2015
growl432 said:
I don't really know what your age has to do with you finding it boring, I might be misunderstanding you but that sounds quite pretentious if you meant that how I'm interpreting it.

It's not about the age but rather the patience I used to have to some dialogues when I was 15 compared to now (or more like how I finded it cooler before?). The same can be said about the pacing because I find it really slow.

Maybe the meaning is lost in translation/culture but you probably experience the same thing when rewatching an anime you really liked when younger and suddenly it's not as cool as you remember, you still loved it but it's not like the first time, almost never its like that.

That does not mean that this series is meant for kids or that this show is bad. You can't really say that about any show, at least not in an objective matter.

I don't think this issue is only mine and maybe someone can relate if not with this series, with other series.
Mar 3, 2021 3:58 PM
Feb 2020
mozgow said:
MuraragiKoyomi said:
It wasn't explained in the LN either. My theory is
and here i am thinking she doesnt have emotions
Mar 3, 2021 5:03 PM

May 2020
Someanime said:
Winter_Fox said:
What the hell am i only one who love this episode? By far this is the best one for me.

Emilia development was crazy. At first, i didn't see her change after 1st trial but the 2nd? I can see how her attitude change a lot, how she perceive things and finally able to forget what lies behind the past. It was heartwarming, and make me cry at best.

The only downside for me was the fight scenes, some animation look weird and all, but I immediately knew that this was not the highlight of the episode, but Emilia powerful 2nd trial. It will be better if we see emilia trial first, then put the mansion fight after. It was upside down so the emotional moments was cut off.

Don't mind them;

@Gilgameshuu was always more compatible with melancholy than Hector, his job is to nitpick.

The others are either Tsunderes or shocked by how good this episode was, easily the best and the next ones will even surpass it; when was the last time we had a well-written female character in an Isekai? Never!

I don't know why you're so angry lol, I found the Episode good it's just that some people will be disappointed because of the buildup from last episode, the Episode rating already proves it. Don't know why you keep on trying to start an argument with everyone, I'm a source reader, and I was just a bit disappointed with the fight. Am I not allowed to express my opinion?
Mar 3, 2021 5:32 PM

May 2012
ChainxBastard said:
1) She didn't let him finish, which was an unexpected outcome.

2) You missed the point. Emilia's second trial was about accepting her CURRENT present (Subaru and the others) while rejecting her blissful present (life with Fortuna and Geuse). Whats more, one line alone was deeper than more characterization I've seen in a very, very long time.

And that's when she said in a quite indignant and annoyed manner, "Geez, just how long have I been protected?" If you watched the Frozen Bonds OVA (which it referenced) then you'll understand even more.

And finally, when she said how she looked LESS like Fortuna than she thought, was beyond any other character moment we've seen besides Subaru in Episode 18. Emilia is not only finding out more about who she WAS (past), but also, who she currently IS and WANT to be, which we saw flashes of in Season 1 even though she played a more passive role.

I used to be very neutral on Emilia at best and somewhat down on her, but now she's my second favorite character and watching her on screen is a gift. She's literally blowing me away with each scene. It's like watching a butterfly come out of a cocoon before your very eyes.

If you can't see that then maybe you need to rewatch the series.

1. You don't start off the sentence by calling someone a dumbass and expect them to let you finish lol. That's more of a lie advice lol. I feel like common sense wise he would just not have said that.

2. I got the point. It's not as deep as you making it. She accepted and that's good, but it hasn't been put into action. Hell she still being protected lmao. The second trail did not help with this. It's different for Subaru however, he accepted the RBD until he had to face the realities he may have left behind. The people that were effected by his death. The point I was making was, it didn't land as intend IMO. I didn't have to see her go on a picnic lol. I got the point and all the meaning, but I already knew the point because of the first trail lol.

3. I don't know need to re-watch the series. You (and some others) are just fan-boying lol. Nothing wrong with that lol. To me it wasn't an impactful episode and a lot of parts didn't make any sense. The writing was bad here or at least in the anime version.
Mar 3, 2021 5:41 PM

Jun 2015
I simply loved the lake reflection scene. The slow motion and all.. Yup, I'll wait for some fanart based on this scene for wallpaper purposes.

I wonder why did Echidna cry, though? I'd love to see why. Is there going to be some sort of explanation to it?
Mar 3, 2021 5:58 PM
Feb 2021
YosepRA said:
I wonder why did Echidna cry, though? I'd love to see why. Is there going to be some sort of explanation to it?

Only theories for now, unfortunately
Mar 3, 2021 6:05 PM

Jan 2011
"im sorry the trials aren't over yet" i sleep

" Echidna crying" real shit? whats up with that

everyone that says the show is best watch on binge is right because good god this pacing

3 episodes left...lol no way this arc is ending but the quicker the better there are parts i can see people liking but it has for the most part been quite boring for me

redefection scene caught me off guard was neat
Mar 3, 2021 6:08 PM

Jan 2020
What a masterpiece episode. 5/5.

The garf vs elsa fight seems to be picking up and the Emilia trial part.. wow. I'm honestly speechless but it was incredible and this season has been great for me.

I'm also happy they played the ed this episode.

Mar 3, 2021 6:19 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno, hearing Echidna and seeing Emilia act, I have the feeling Emilia is still in denial she was given by hope Subaru forced on her.

The Sanctuary was probably built with Emilia/Satella as catalyst in mind and I wouldn't be surprised if going through all three challenges actually completes the ritual where she merges with her other half. We have to remember it was Roswaal originally who presented them this task. So what if all is actually going according to their plan? What if the future she's now heading towards (her coronation and overtaking the kingdom) is actually leading to disastrous resolution?

And they are still forgetting one thing, ice and rabbits. Seems like something that will come as twist in the very end, along with the fate of other witches (my guess is the ritual will probably set them free, along with Echidna).
Mar 3, 2021 6:24 PM
Jun 2017
Love the episode, that lake scene by Emiia is so beautiful...

and great job by Emilia passing the 2nd test... one more and they will be free from sanctuary...

and by the way i love that ED OST...
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Did you like part 1 or part 2 of season 2 better?

castle2001 - May 26

18 by FilipPaul »»
May 28, 8:58 PM

» Rem have become most favourite anime female character!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZXEAN - Jan 29, 2021

298 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 10, 2021

534 by ymirstear »»
May 10, 4:29 PM

» am i the only one who thinks re:zero season 2 is just kinda okay? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shmoomp - Jan 27, 2021

411 by AboutFollower03 »»
Apr 18, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

616 by 2772510 »»
Apr 18, 4:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.