Forum Settings
Forums

Review: Bring back the "Not Helpful" Button [Waived]

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 5, 2016 5:25 AM

Feb 2015
OP, I know you just like to click that function when you don't like the score of a review...
Dec 5, 2016 5:55 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged

I believe there has been no change regarding the stance on this issue.
Jan 26, 2017 8:31 AM

Apr 2013
still need a way to express if a review was not good, not helpful, or misleading
Jan 26, 2017 9:12 AM

Jan 2014
I think something like that is just useless, imagine what would happen if we had that kind of button (its' technically a dislike button), all of the people that hate you will come to bash your review for the sole reason of hating you (i know i would)
if you don't like the review don't read it.

and plus i like ecchi but don't like highschool dxd, don't worry i'm not gonna bash on it , i'm not the kind of person, if you actually enjoy it, the more power to you.
Jan 27, 2017 11:27 PM

Feb 2015
JopaFish said:

How on earth can you know whether or not you like a review until you've read it?

The whole reason the not helpful button was useful is that a good helpful/not-helpful ratio is a sign that a review is going to be worth reading. With it gone, there's no real way of knowing whether a review you read is going to be informative or accurate because the number of "likes" a review has are merely an indicator of how soon after the show finished airing the review was made and tell you basically nothing about whether or not the review is likely to be worth reading or otherwise.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jan 28, 2017 3:44 AM

Jan 2014
Caelidesu said:
JopaFish said:

How on earth can you know whether or not you like a review until you've read it?

The whole reason the not helpful button was useful is that a good helpful/not-helpful ratio is a sign that a review is going to be worth reading. With it gone, there's no real way of knowing whether a review you read is going to be informative or accurate because the number of "likes" a review has are merely an indicator of how soon after the show finished airing the review was made and tell you basically nothing about whether or not the review is likely to be worth reading or otherwise.

you can know more or less what kind of review it going to be from ''Overall Rating''
Jan 28, 2017 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
I came here to suggest the same thing, I am not really surprised to be this suggestion on the first page.

A lot of people have been creating senseless/troll reviews and there is no way to tell, from a new viewer perspective, if the dude posting it is being serious or not.

Most of the cases it doesn't matter if you report the user/review because they are not breaking the rules expressing their "opinion".
Jan 28, 2017 1:02 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
JopaFish said:
Caelidesu said:

you can know more or less what kind of review it going to be from ''Overall Rating''

That's stupid. You can enjoy reading review with opposing opinion unless you're blinded by hate/fanboyis towards the show. Different opinion than yours can be expressed well too so skipping it based only on rating seems narrow minded.
And if your argument is going to be that "but that review gave anime that is objectively shit a good score so review must be shit as well" then please don't respond at all.
Jan 28, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
Barnald said:
JopaFish said:

That's stupid. You can enjoy reading review with opposing opinion unless you're blinded by hate/fanboyis towards the show. Different opinion than yours can be expressed well too so skipping it based only on rating seems narrow minded.
And if your argument is going to be that "but that review gave anime that is objectively shit a good score so review must be shit as well" then please don't respond at all.

Do you even know what we are talking about..
Reread the thread again ''Very often, people write reviews being super biased and about genres they don't even like. For example if there is a good anime like High School DxD and someone writes a review saying its horrible but its just because he does not like echii.'' @willukm says.
That's why i'm saying, if you see review that has overall rating 1-4, don't even bother reading if you can't take a couple of harsh words towards anime that you like.

Review
rɪˈvjuː

noun/

a critical appraisal of a book, play, film, (animation) etc. .
CovetousnessJan 28, 2017 1:22 PM
Jan 28, 2017 1:30 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
JopaFish said:
Barnald said:

Do you even know about what we are talking about..
Reread the thread again ''Very often, people write reviews being super biased and about genres they don't even like. For example if there is a good anime like High School DxD and someone writes a review saying its horrible but its just because he does not like echii.'' @willukm says.
That's why i'm saying, if you see review that has overall rating 1-4, don't even bother reading if you can't take a couple of harsh words towards anime that you like.

Review
rɪˈvjuː

noun/

Yes. You imply that "not helpful" button will be the downfall of reviews which is not true. It was a better system.
And yes, don't worry. I stopped caring about reviews simply because review system went to shit after they took not helpful button away.
It's not about not being able to take a couple of harsh words from a review. It's about not being able to voice a negative opinion about reviews that are in fact shit because they're not reviews at all. Humoristic reviews aside, some of them just praise/bash the show just because. And you don't have anything to do about that since all you can do is give it helpful or leave. They're intended to be helpful from a critical standpoint, not personal.

Yeah, tell that to all people that do reviews proffesionally and people that wait for them to decide what to watch/play/read. Their main reason is to rate. Give an opinion.
Jan 28, 2017 1:45 PM

Jan 2014
Barnald said:
JopaFish said:

Do you even know about what we are talking about..

Review
rɪˈvjuː

noun/

Yes. You imply that "not helpful" button will be the downfall of reviews which is not true. It was a better system.
And yes, don't worry. I stopped caring about reviews simply because review system went to shit after they took not helpful button away.
It's not about not being able to take a couple of harsh words from a review. It's about not being able to voice a negative opinion about reviews that are in fact shit because they're not reviews at all. Humoristic reviews aside, some of them just praise/bash the show just because. And you don't have anything to do about that since all you can do is give it helpful or leave. They're intended to be helpful from a critical standpoint, not personal.

Yeah, tell that to all people that do reviews proffesionally and people that wait for them to decide what to watch/play/read. Their main reason is to rate. Give an opinion.

Okay i got it, lets stop it at that, or we might end up bashing each other because of these argument, and i'm not a big fan of that.
you are right, i'm going to say that, because i don't want you to misunderstand me here.
if anyone sees reviews that are utterly useless in their eyes, they should report it, if mods aren't taking it down, that means there's nothing wrong with the review.
Reviews are reviews regardless if its more to the fun/humorous side or serious one, as long as it covers what it should.
Jan 28, 2017 2:00 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
JopaFish said:
Barnald said:

Okay i got it, lets stop it at that, or we might end up bashing each other because of these argument, and i'm not a big fan of that.
you are right, i'm going to say that, because i don't want you to misunderstand me here.
if anyone sees reviews that are utterly useless in their eyes, they should report it, if mods aren't taking it down, that means there's nothing wrong with the review.
Reviews are reviews regardless if its more to the fun/humorous side or serious one, as long as it covers what it should.

Nah. I wouldn't go full retard just because I lost an argument, come on. That's not the point of it.
If you have something in mind, then go ahead and say that. Because I feel like you said that I'm correct just because you're afraid (?) to voice your opinion. No worries, I won't go offensive.
Jan 28, 2017 2:49 PM

Jan 2014
Barnald said:
JopaFish said:

Nah. I wouldn't go full retard just because I lost an argument, come on. That's not the point of it.
If you have something in mind, then go ahead and say that. Because I feel like you said that I'm correct just because you're afraid (?) to voice your opinion. No worries, I won't go offensive.

not really, i meant what i meant, you are right, honestly.
and i already voiced my last opinion, it was at the end, here:
''Reviews are reviews regardless if its more to the fun/humorous side or serious one, as long as it covers what it should.''
Jan 29, 2017 10:38 AM

Feb 2015
JopaFish said:
Caelidesu said:

The whole point I just made (and please do actually read and understand it this time if you're going to bother to make a response) is that the new system isn't a good way of telling whether or not a review is going to be useful, for the exact reasons I already explained.

With [not helpful] gone, there's no real way of knowing whether a review you read is going to be informative or accurate because the number of "likes" a review has are merely an indicator of how soon after the show finished airing the review was made and tell you basically nothing about whether or not the review is likely to be worth reading or otherwise.

In case you aren't up to date, the most 'liked' reviews for any show are almost unanimously reviews made within 12 hours of said show having finished being aired. Even completely shit reviews will rake in a decent number of likes if they're published at the right time.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jan 29, 2017 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
The reason why "Not Helpful" is there anymore is because a lot of those are just trolls and such, and it doesn't even help despite the review having actual good arguments... so I don't want it back at all.
Jan 29, 2017 2:42 PM

Sep 2012
Why do we even nned something like that?

There could be only 2 situations.

A)It does not fits the guidelines.-->Report it.

B)You think otherwise.--zWell BoHoo bu people can have different opinions.It's shocking right?

So I don't think we need that button.
Feb 26, 2017 5:32 PM

Mar 2009
One reason I really feel we need this is because when I'm trying to find a little more about an anime, it's nice to see a well-written, informative review at the top.
If I see a review that scored one of my favorite anime low but was written with maturity making good points, then I'll probably upvote it. Just because I think an anime is perfect or "the best" doesn't mean I want other people to go in with overly high expectations.
And likewise, if I see a well-written review that shows me more about why someone enjoyed something I dislike (with good reason), I'll upvote it too. I don't want someone else to miss out on something just because I dislike it.

I don't know how many times I've seen the whole "this is my first review so please go easy on me" at the top, or people basically just talking about how much they liked something instead of talking about the actual substance of the show.
MAL's actual guidelines/tips for reviews even state:
"Try to avoid beginning your review with unnecessary openers. This includes statements like "This is my first review, please forgive any mistakes." or "Alright, let's get started!"
Oct 31, 2017 6:36 PM

Jan 2014
Veronin said:
The 'not helpful' button is not coming back.

Sorting options and other features will be added soon to give newer reviews a better chance at being seen. When exactly this is happening is completely in the air and up to the development team. It bothers me as much as it bothers you. Until these changes are implemented, the only thing I can really suggest is reviewing less popular anime/manga, as there are many entries on the site which have few (if any) reviews.

So why not make it so that users who upvote reviews become visible, but the ones who downvote it do not? It's simple.

I'm all for the return of the "Not Helpful" button.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2017 2:34 PM

Jan 2017
I would support this but I'm not sure MAL would as they do not like negativity towards other players along with the possibility of trolling
Nov 4, 2017 3:02 PM

Apr 2013
i understand the risk of people downvoting (unhelpful) because they don't like the score,
but it's all the same with people upvoting (helpful) because they like the score, with nothing to couteract it because we can't down vote it
Nov 4, 2017 8:14 PM

Feb 2015
It really doesn't matter at all.
It's up to the easily impressionable kiddies to latch on to the review with most people that found it ''helpful'' and think that this review is a fact.

Most people will pick any show and form their opinion on it themselves.

(PS. I agree that Highschool DxD sucks, I also agree with the guy saying Free sucks).

Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Sep 3, 2018 8:00 PM

Jul 2017
instead of showing how many pp finding a review helpful
adding up or downvote buttons to a review would reflect a more balanced and transparent concord and certainly would reduce misguidance to new mal users
Sep 3, 2018 8:19 PM

Oct 2017
Well, MAL did have a "Not Helpful" button... But they removed it. Well, I don't really care about the reviews, so I'm fine if they add it again. However, I'll never approve if MAL introduces "upvote" or "downvote" buttons for reviews or anything else...
Sep 3, 2018 10:41 PM
Feb 2014
>wanting to be more like Plebbit
And that's a big fat no from me. Because then you just create circlejerk culture. All reviews deserve equal amounts of views and opinions.
Sep 4, 2018 12:33 AM

Jul 2017
NicoNiccoya said:
And that's a big fat no from me. Because then you just create circlejerk culture. All reviews deserve equal amounts of views and opinions.

then why not upvotes and downvotes?
only letting people to agree but not to disagree with the review doesnt
seems to be fair to me and the most helpful ones are usually the ones people
would pay attention to because they are displayed at the top of the review section
now many anime reviews are either a 10 or a 1 being marked the most helpful
and thats certainly not fair for the other reviews since they are hardly seen by pp and hence there arent many ones marking them as helpful
the same works for youtube with likes and dislikes to determine the likeliness of the video

Apr 2016
Miss me with that reddit shit.

Jul 2017
no fuck reddit
Sep 4, 2018 2:59 AM

Jun 2017
MayoiYui said:
and certainly would reduce misguidance to new mal users

How reviews misguide the new MAL users?!
And I think if downvotes was good MAL wouldn't remove it...
Sep 4, 2018 3:17 AM

Jul 2017
mhkr said:
MayoiYui said:
and certainly would reduce misguidance to new mal users

How reviews misguide the new MAL users?!
And I think if downvotes was good MAL wouldn't remove it...

only having helpful (upvote like or whatever you call) is biased
many new users or pp who just get to know anime look up the top
review section and find out all the overwhelming helpful reviews are
mostly negative or overly positive ; they dont even bother to read them so yeah
it makes an anime look either very bad or very good without questioning the review's
true likeliness ; my friends just looked up on mal and told me certain anime looked awful because of those reviews but the mean scores are high so I started to think it might be a good idea to add a downvote or something like I dont find this review helpful to it because I was also a victim of these biased reviews when I was a newbie
Sep 4, 2018 5:15 AM

Oct 2015
It used to have one. I doubt they'd bring it back. It's easily abused by people who disagree with one review and downvotes it to hell with bot accounts. Although Upvotes alone is pretty much the same, at the very least it's not pulling the other reviews down as much as with downvotes
Sep 4, 2018 10:59 AM

Feb 2010
NicoNiccoya said:

First of all, no they don't. Have you ever read reviews? Lots of troll reviews or ones that barely managa one coherent sentence or that end after two sentences. All those deserve is to be deleted tbh.

Secondly the current system does definitely not encourage all reviews to be equal. It's first come, first serve. The earlier you get your review out the earlier you start getting upvotes and that will cement your place on the starting page. Since you can't be downvoted, the review doesn't need to be good for that to happen, it just needs to be quick and not complete garbage. Anyone late to the party will likely forever remain in the obscurity of the later pages. Everyone knows the majority of people only look at the first 4 reviews and see those as representative for the show.

And upvote/downvote system has it's own issues with people just up and downvoting stuff they don't agree with no matter the actual quality of the interview, but it's at least an open playing field while the current system only favors people who write reviews early and quickly.

But I doubt it will come back, even tho reviews as they are are the most useless feature on MAL and they could at least become marginally reliable again if downvotes were a thing. But well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2018 11:01 AM

Jan 2009
they already remove that seeing that most reviews are just gonna be bombarded with "not helpful" reactions and that discourages reviewers and adds to the toxicity
Sep 4, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2018
Other than show reviews...

I onced join a forum that alllowed you to give "thumbs up" to comments and threads. People on here are pretty witty and comical - and what better way to express that is thumbs. Thumbs are cool.
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Sep 4, 2018 2:48 PM

Nov 2011
MAL removed it because reasons and i doubt they will add it back.
instead of "upvote" and "downvote", MAL could instead offer the options
"informative", "funny", "rant", etc. not that i expect anything to change.

If you found my post helpful, dont forget to +1 and comment!
Upvotes: 0 Downvotes: 0

DreamingBeatsSep 4, 2018 2:54 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 6, 2018 7:45 AM

Feb 2017
would be better than just the helpful button i think
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Sep 6, 2018 11:48 PM

Dec 2016
A not helpful button will discourage people from making reviews...all of them, not just the troll/funny/provoking ones, but also the well-written, well-intentioned ones because of the fear of being downvoted. And we would only have the positive ones, thus creating one big circlejerk.
Sep 7, 2018 3:37 AM

Oct 2010
The current system is not good, but we can't act now like the previous system wasn't bad. The solution is not turning back to something that was a problem.

Better than adding downvotes would be, for instance, adding methods to improve the visibility of all kinds of reviews, not just recent ones.
Sep 7, 2018 7:05 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Arkab said:
A not helpful button will discourage people from making reviews...all of them, not just the troll/funny/provoking ones, but also the well-written, well-intentioned ones because of the fear of being downvoted. And we would only have the positive ones, thus creating one big circlejerk.

Not really. Current review system will never let you hit top 4 unless it's a new show. You would have to beat hundreds, sometimes thousands of "helpfuls". Isn't that way more discouraging? What'z the point of writing a review ir noone is going to read it.. Rankings based on percentage upvotes/total allow you to do that. Both systems allow circlejerking imo.
Sep 7, 2018 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like the current review system, there are too many troll reviews that are being promoted. I wholly support the re-introduction of the "Not Helpful" button.
Sep 10, 2018 7:48 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged.
Sep 10, 2018 9:33 PM

Jun 2011
I wish the unhelpful button would come back because the actually good reviews that more people agreed with had a better chance.

I would also like the word count to go down on shorter titles. I want to say something but, if it is only 7 chapters on a manga, I am really not going to have more than a paragraph, 4 sentences to say.

Short anime should have just "comments" if you will. Because I don't think you can really make a review for an anime like Ai (ona) without being trollish or dishonest. Or just repeating the same thing over and over.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 2, 2018 8:15 PM

Apr 2013
even if you don't have the helpful to unhelpful ratio or stats visible to the general public, it makes hell of a lot of sense to have reviews displayed with how much people agreed or disagreed with them
Oct 2, 2018 11:56 PM

Oct 2017
Have "Not Helpful" button so that fans of a particular show could down vote the negative review into oblivion? I wholly disagree. A "not helpful" button will not improve the rating system at all.
Oct 3, 2018 12:19 AM

Jan 2017
Pirate said:
even if you don't have the helpful to unhelpful ratio or stats visible to the general public, it makes hell of a lot of sense to have reviews displayed with how much people agreed or disagreed with them

Theoretically, I think you're right. But you're not taking into account the MAL community. People would just go through and click 'Not Helpful' on any (and every)thing they could...just because..ya know...it's MAL.

Oct 3, 2018 11:29 AM

Apr 2016
Oh give me a break, if you guys dont like reviews that butthurted you just don't read them lmao.
Oct 3, 2018 11:35 AM

Mar 2017
Yeah if someone doesn't like a show that's their opinion regardless of whether they're into the genre or not. The not helpful button would only be useful for blatant shitposts although I'm sure some fans regard any criticism at shitposting...
Oct 3, 2018 10:42 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
100% Agree, bring it back!
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Oct 4, 2018 6:28 AM

Apr 2013
J_LEE_C said:
Pirate said:

Theoretically, I think you're right. But you're not taking into account the MAL community. People would just go through and click 'Not Helpful' on any (and every)thing they could...just because..ya know...it's MAL.

Same can be said about people clicking "Helpful"
Oct 4, 2018 8:06 AM

Jan 2017
Pirate said:
J_LEE_C said:

Same can be said about people clicking "Helpful"

My point was the consistent negativity just for the sake of being negative/it entertains them. Those are at least eliminated when only the 'Helpful' option is available.

I do understand what you're saying though also, I just wanted to note that the point I was making was re: negativity rather than incompetence.

Oct 4, 2018 3:25 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
It's completely pointless to have one without the other. If you can't have both then there shouldn't be either one.
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why Current Events should come back

GoatPieceLuffy - May 27

35 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Add a link to manga entry in Manga Store when store is not available

bozal19 - 6 hours ago

0 by bozal19 »»
6 hours ago

» Choose which cover image/picture is shown in your lists

T147 - 8 hours ago

0 by T147 »»
8 hours ago

» Change favorite pictures

Tsunamii_ - May 18, 2023

5 by deg »»
8 hours ago

» allow choosing own images on animes

RimuruTari - Jul 17, 2022

2 by T147 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.