Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 3, 2014 8:26 AM
Jun 2013
For a pilot episode, I was really disappointed. It's like the bitter candy in a cluster of jellybean, and the only thing that kept me from dropping it were the songs.(Good for Osu players) Also, some of the male characters look like women.

I think I'm gonna use it as a starter of every week and compare it with other hideous shows I don't like.

Jul 3, 2014 9:17 AM

Jul 2010
Oh dear...dropped. I'd rather watch something else.
Jul 3, 2014 10:31 AM

Jun 2014
The legendary Sakamoto Ryoma....plays guitar?!
LOL

this anime kinda weird though, but still funny
the weirdness made me laugh every minute

the music is ok, i like it
the idea of modern edo is not bad either.

but seriously, Wednesday is gay day huh? lol

i give this 3/5
for now i'm gonna put this in my list, i hope it will get better in the next episode
♪ Do re mi fa pupupu, waa~~ ♪
Jul 3, 2014 11:02 AM

Mar 2014
I found this mightily amusing. This and Free! will make for some interesting wednesdays indeed.
I recognised SO many of the seiyus from UtaPri. Like, three of them in a row for Ryo, Cindy and Sensei (can't remember their proper names ha). Felt proud of myself for those revelations.
I think it's about time we had another goofy singing anime. I love goofy singing anime.
(And I swear this is based of a BL game so I don't know why so many guys are watching it and complaining............)
Jul 3, 2014 11:21 AM

Apr 2014
Oh my.. The weirdness here is on a completely different level =|
Jul 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Dec 2010
Okay, ignoring all the fujoshi/yaoi/whatever talk, has the creator tried to turn Gintama into a rock anime or something? So many name similarities it looks pretty blatant. I mean, we have a Shinsengumi with Hijikata, Okita and Kondo. We have a bar run by someone named Otose who is half-man, half-woman (admittedly, somewhat different than the Gintama Otose who is half-woman, half-Orochimaru), we've got a Katsura, a Sakamoto, a Takasugi. Granted, those might be normal names from that time period, but again, it looks pretty blatant like Gintama to me.
Jul 3, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2014
Gsimp said:
Okay, ignoring all the fujoshi/yaoi/whatever talk, has the creator tried to turn Gintama into a rock anime or something? So many name similarities it looks pretty blatant. I mean, we have a Shinsengumi with Hijikata, Okita and Kondo. We have a bar run by someone named Otose who is half-man, half-woman (admittedly, somewhat different than the Gintama Otose who is half-woman, half-Orochimaru), we've got a Katsura, a Sakamoto, a Takasugi. Granted, those might be normal names from that time period, but again, it looks pretty blatant like Gintama to me.

They're not just names, they're historical figures from the Edo Period. Gintama has basically rewritten history and added some science fiction; and that's not an uncommon thing in otaku media. Look at Hakuouki or Rurouni Kenshin.
Jul 3, 2014 1:29 PM

Sep 2009
It was definitely a struggle to get through this episode. And since I recently started Gintama, I was definitely a little thrown off by all the historical figures since I was still associating those names with the characters of Gintama.

Meh. I really enjoy the singing so I'll try and stick it out but I dunno. The singing scenes are definitely still a little too farfetched for me. Like suddenly they're all shirtless? Kay. This makes that sailor moon scene of UtaPri look tame. Almost.
Jul 3, 2014 1:31 PM

Mar 2012
Well uhhh, that was exciting... not really.

Kinda boring, kinda stupid. Don't even care about the yaoi, it's just lame.
Jul 3, 2014 1:36 PM

Apr 2009
^A-at least the guitar looked cool!
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 3:03 PM

Apr 2011
Fun, over the top and good music. And small surprise, MAL is full of people who hate it :P Will likely watch the rest of the season. Good fun so far!
Jul 3, 2014 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
I love listening to J-rock and it is an interesting anime. There's was some down part where it got me bore. Overall it was quite different.

I kind of laugh because of idols and electric guitars in that time of era xD and cringe at the shirtless part.

Will continue to watch to it and see what it like.
Jul 3, 2014 5:36 PM

May 2012
This show is so horrible and idiotic, I think I'm gonna have to keep watching it.

11/10 for being so terrible.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 3, 2014 6:30 PM

Oct 2012
phoenixalia said:
.....I....omigosh...I...don't know what to say.

Just...what did I just watch? I don't know but I liked it! It was ridiculous as HECK and omigosh the sparkles and the ripping off clothes and...

I'm still flabbergasted but I'll keep watching this for now.

This.

Also I'm staying it for my seiyuu cast.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jul 3, 2014 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
It was an alright episode.

Rock band in Tokugawa era.

Ryouma's singing wasn't that bad at all.
Jul 3, 2014 8:34 PM

Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
AH-AH! I knew it! The main VA is the singer of the Granrodeo.

really? no wonder he sounded so familiar! xD
This was....pretty good to watch, until their shirts came off and the guy with the blue-ish hair made an erotic pose. uhhh, other than that I thought it was ok! The music was also pretty neat~
I wanna see how this goes. xD

I like how I see more complaints on a show targeted for females than I do with shows obviously targeted towards men. and on top of that, they end up being the most popular. And why?from fan service of course!
Females only get about 1-2 shows a season, while the rest of the 10+ anime is targeted at males. reading comments only talking about how cute the girls/lolis are and "needs more fan service" and "panty shots".

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
Suzune-chanJul 8, 2014 5:53 PM
Jul 3, 2014 11:52 PM

Sep 2012
Well it was pretty ridiculous, but in an amusing way. I enjoyed the ending song especially. A little sceptical about how much they can really draw out of the concept but hopefully it'll be a good series.
Jul 4, 2014 1:28 AM

Jul 2012
This amount of information... Valvrave feelings.

I just lost it. It was so ridiculous that I laughed through the whole episode.

10/10 will watch.
Jul 4, 2014 3:31 AM

Apr 2009
I liked the concept. But why shounen-ai WHY !!!
Jul 4, 2014 5:05 AM
Apr 2014
I am a huge rock fan myself. I really liked it

The popular Heaven's Song sounds like the bull of today's music Pop with electronic tunes, boybands, etc. Bad stuff, in my opinion.

The main character and his friends really seem to be on the quest to make rock the genre. I like that idea. It simply is the best music there is to me.

Would be pretty cool if it was real life and that people would get rid of the pieces of sh*t they call music these days. I am looking forward for the next episode.
Jul 4, 2014 6:17 AM

May 2012
what a weird anime... probably just gonna watch it for the sake of watching
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jul 4, 2014 6:35 AM

Sep 2010
My reaction to this anime was just like:

While I enjoy series that take place in historical eras, the attempt at combining different timelines doesn't really work out imo. Also I'm not really sure if I like the characters; for sure I dislike the green haired glasses guy, somehow he's just pissing me off.
Although I will probably keep on watching it, mostly because I'm curious how are they going to develop the fight with government and I really like the costume designs in this one. (The only good think about mixing pop and rock with historical eras).
Jul 4, 2014 7:34 AM
Jun 2013
what the fuck is this lel, good song i think
Jul 4, 2014 8:51 AM

May 2013
It was all right, enjoyed some.
Jul 4, 2014 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
Funny enough, the music isn't that bad either.

If nothing else, you can watch this in background just to listen to the music part :D
Jul 4, 2014 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
abystoma2 said:
It would be better without the fanservice sequence for fujoshis.
Not as funny as Ixion Saga DT's ED, but still as funny as always to watch the striptease ED ;p
Jul 4, 2014 2:02 PM
Feb 2013
Man, that shoin-sensei looks more like a lousy illustration of Jimi Hendrix
RazorRamona200Jul 4, 2014 2:12 PM
Jul 4, 2014 2:48 PM

Jun 2011
Rock could have been a bit harder, but over all a fun watch. The ending sort of made me think of a mahou shoujo transformation xD
Jul 4, 2014 3:06 PM

Jun 2012
I feel like this is only going to have good songs. The story is really meh borderline bad.
Jul 4, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2013
Lordy, that abysmal score already ;~;

This is the first anime I've watched so far this season that I've enjoyed. The plot/concept and comedy is over the top and silly as all hell, the characters are decent, and the music was OK. I don't mind the bishie manservice. C'mon folks, it's not as common as female fanservice anime, chill. I didn't like the henshin/we'll beat them with rock aspect which will probably be a plot device that I'm going to bear with.

4/5...Well I liked it, MAL >_>
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
Jul 4, 2014 9:42 PM
Jul 2013
LOL. This show. I thought this show would be ridiculous when I first read the synopsis, but after actually watching it it doesn't seems bad at all. The animation is good, and the song's decent. I'll try to see for how long I can manage to last with this one.

Dat fanservice though, I laughed so hard during the rock concert at the bridge. The drummer's shy face when he was stripped during transformation....WTF XD
Jul 4, 2014 11:14 PM

Aug 2011
I felt a strange feeling throughout the entire episode. The best phrase to describe it is "uuuuhh.."
Jul 5, 2014 7:49 AM

Jan 2012
I thought it was a great first episode.
Neat concept, and I really like the MC. Pretty funny too.
Jul 5, 2014 11:07 AM

Oct 2009
I know. Maybe that show is shit but...I enjoy it a liitle and I liked the idea of ROCK against commerce POP (haha it's like they make fun of boys band). Idk I give it a try, since I don't watch anime with pretty boys with saliva on my chin at all.

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Jul 5, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2013
To much Bishounen.
I do not really like the bands music who does the characters singing, it sounds to boy bandish,
Anyways, this was deffinently one of those shows that make me say, what am I watching.
The ripping there shirt off part was even weirder, I would expect it more in a shounen series were the guys are like body builders, rather then an anime like this.
Jul 5, 2014 4:58 PM
Apr 2014
OK so the transformation thing they did when they are about to perform (they get stripped ._. ) was pretty embarassing to watch. I think it would be much better if there are no transformation or at least no stripping. (But maybe young boys will love it as much as I love Mermaid Melody's transformation when I was young lol). For now, the concept is interesting but the storyline is quite boring. Will continue watching because of the music and the voice casts.
Jul 5, 2014 9:04 PM

Jul 2009
I'm pretty much only watching this for some (hopefully) good music and was not disappointed! I mean the OP and ED and insert were pretty enjoyable. Also the animation looks pretty clean. Did not expect that many bishies and that "transformation"/shirtless scene though haha XD We'll see where this goes ... seems like Ryo got the guitar off the sensei of Shinsaku and Katsura ... and the government sponsors this "Heaven's Edge" (I think it's called) group which is the only music that's okay? I guess they had to put a plot in SOMEHOW ;P Also those old names ... reminds me of Gintama :O
Jul 6, 2014 2:31 AM

Dec 2013
Holy shit, did I watch a bunch of Edo-period kiddies pretend to be Basara and co from Macross 7?
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 6, 2014 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
Shinsengumi as idols... wtf x)
Jul 6, 2014 11:31 PM
Sep 2013
Soo... I was after a little fanservice and good music. Got both and some laugh.

10/10

Lol at guys saying: GUYS STRIPING? THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
Jul 7, 2014 6:06 AM

Mar 2008
This made me laugh with how ridiculous it was.
Jul 8, 2014 5:56 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
All debate about fan service for women has been removed. Please stop insulting each other about your definitions of fan service.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 8, 2014 6:13 PM

Feb 2013
Man-idols are not cute at all. (the man-service was too funny)

While watching, I felt like I was under the DES entertainment ban (ref AKB0048).

It looks like this anime will have more performances than Love Live! at least...

Honestly, it was terrible though.
Jul 9, 2014 11:37 PM

Jun 2008
It wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It was quite alright but enjoyable enough for me to watch. I was expecting it to be something over the top like it showed in the previews and it indeed got me what I've wanted. It was so ridiculously over the top that it's funny. I usually avoid BL and shounen ai shows like a plaugue but i didn't feel it from this show at all. It's like Utaupri set in medieval japan but with no female lead and harem. I quite like the songs they used in the episode and the voices of the characters sounded very familiar. :X
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2014 1:55 AM
Nov 2013
It was interesting.

When there was known names besides of Hijikata Toshizou and Okita Souji, I wanted to find out about 1800s Japan.

Implementation of graphic side was, well, fifty-fifty. Mostly I was left to wonder why animators put 3D-versions of main characters to song scene.

Music was good, of course.
Jul 11, 2014 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
Everyone is all like this sucks, but the fact that three hot samurai men are singing rock music to me while being shirtless is just enough for me. I've always enjoyed anime with manly fan service, even if they are samurai rock stars.
Jul 12, 2014 8:58 AM
Feb 2013
Tremendous amount of stupidity in this I sense.
However, boring it was not.
kcuf
Jul 13, 2014 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
If the next ep is going to be like this one, I'll drop it :(
Jul 17, 2014 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao this is so ridiculous it's hilarious~ It's not boring to watch at least
Aug 30, 2014 1:14 PM
Mar 2012
What. The. Fuck.

Hm, not sure about this one yet. I LOL'd at the magical girl transformation scene.
Not sure this is really "rock" what they're playing, but then maybe I'm too used to heavy music.
And the guitar really looks pretty cool.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakumatsu Rock Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

29 by HikariShoumeiron »»
Jan 14, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Rock Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

49 by fukumenkei »»
Jul 5, 2020 11:47 AM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Rock Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2014

19 by fukumenkei »»
Jul 5, 2020 11:25 AM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Rock Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

19 by fukumenkei »»
Jul 5, 2020 11:22 AM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Rock Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2014

26 by fukumenkei »»
Jul 5, 2020 11:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.