Forum Settings
Forums

Do you get influenced by people's review on an anime ?

New
Jan 19, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
I must admit it , I really don't watch an anime when it's scored by two or three users with a score 5 or 6 . I know this is not a good thing , since you should go for it and then score it yourself , but sometimes I get influenced by other's review , and then hesitate to start that anime .

What about you ?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 19, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2012
no they got shit taste :|

Jan 19, 2014 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
When I'm in a pinch as to what to start, I do look at the # of reviews and see which one has the most solid spread of scores. It really is going to depend on the reviewer. If I see a lower score, I check how many episodes that person watched and then if I'm really curious I see their compatibility with me and run from there. Ultimately, however, my impression and thoughts of a series end up being my own. It's done me some wonders, ended up picking up a few of my 10's that way.
Jan 19, 2014 2:03 PM

Dec 2010
If the review is well-written, then yes.
Mar 2013
no because my opinion is the best

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
When I'm in a pinch as to what to start, I do look at the # of reviews and see which one has the most solid spread of scores. It really is going to depend on the reviewer. If I see a lower score, I check how many episodes that person watched and then if I'm really curious I see their compatibility with me and run from there. Ultimately, however, my impression and thoughts of a series end up being my own. It's done me some wonders, ended up picking up a few of my 10's that way.

Nicely said , I agree .

Pknoctis said:
If the review is well-written, then yes.

Indeed, but it depends on your compability with that person , it may result that you two are completely different on anime tastes .
KladJan 19, 2014 2:07 PM
Jan 19, 2014 2:07 PM

Dec 2012
If it's something that caught my interest I'll usually watch it regardless. I've loved some low-ish rated anime that I've picked up on a whim, and it's easy for bad anime to get reviewed as 9 or 10s for various reasons anyhow.

Though if it's something that I'm clueless about and doesn't seem to stand out much, AND has mediocre ratings, then I sometimes take their word for it and watch something else that I think I'd like more.
Jan 19, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2008
Never. Because i only listen to myself and my taste.
Jan 19, 2014 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
well written reviews can convince me to watch and not watch and while i wont agree with them on a subjective standpoint it gives me a respectful understanding of the opposite opinion if its a negative review of something i like or a positive review of something i dont, my opinion of it wont change but it gives me an understanding of what others think

thats why i despise people that downvote a review just because they dont agree with the score or the final verdict instead of listening to the justification given

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 19, 2014 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
No, I influence people's reviews on anime when the reviewers come in touch with my superior taste.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Mar 2013
i dont read reviews. i often watch youtube reviews but that is more for entertainment rather than information.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 19, 2014 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
mattbenz99 said:
i dont read reviews. i often watch youtube reviews but that is more for entertainment rather than information.

I'm close to this. I read reviews just for fun, I'm not interested in well written informative ones. But if they are hilarious I'll give em a read.
Jan 19, 2014 2:39 PM

Nov 2012
I rate a lot of anime 6/10 and still consider it to be worth watching. Anyway, it's been my experience that I'll have a completely different perspective from the consensus fairly often, so I stopped taking other opinions so seriously a long time ago. I still like to read reviews though. It's just interesting to see other perspectives.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jan 19, 2014 2:43 PM

Jun 2008
No because i only read reviews after i've seen something, lol.
By then i already formed an opinion on my own.
Jan 19, 2014 2:48 PM

Sep 2011
MiniSiets said:
I rate a lot of anime 6/10 and still consider it to be worth watching.
same, i gave tekkaman blade a 6/10 but i still try to get people to watch it cause despite having some downright horrendous execution found in only the worst of shows there are also parts of it that are found in the best of shows and is definitely worth a watch in the end

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 19, 2014 2:51 PM

Jul 2011
I don't even read reviews in first place
Jan 19, 2014 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
-Klad- said:
I must admit it , I really don't watch an anime when it's scored by two or three users with a score 5 or 6 . I know this is not a good thing , since you should go for it and then score it yourself , but sometimes I get influenced by other's review , and then hesitate to start that anime .

What about you ?

I used to think like that. 7 or less would make me hesitant. I don't care anymore though. I only use reviews to compare my opinion with that of others to see their take on it.

Can influence my rating but NOT if I watch an anime or not.
Jan 19, 2014 3:13 PM

Nov 2013
I like to judge shows my self, so I don't really care if others score it good or bad, cause we may not like the same things.
Jan 19, 2014 3:14 PM

Jun 2007
Nobody who reviews anime knows how to write, how to review, and usually doesn't know shit about anime.
Jan 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Aug 2012
Not at all. Reviews at best offer a different perspective, but it's not like it's going to make you change your enjoyment of a show. If a reviewer tries to do that, then they're a shit reviewer and should stop "reviewing" immediately.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 19, 2014 3:18 PM

Dec 2012
Sometimes it might delay me watching something but most cases they don't influence me since if something interested me enough to add it to my PTW then I'm going to watch it and don't care if people hate/loved it.

I mean its kinda a double edged sword, you go into something where whatever Anime is getting 9/10 you are going to expect something some what awesome which is bound to disappoint if you go in thinking that.
Jan 19, 2014 3:31 PM

May 2013
No because it just turns into tactical reviewing. 'Somebody told me blah blah anime was the best ever and because of this let down it gets a three'. Plus it gets all murky and technical usually, I watch for enjoyment.
Jan 19, 2014 3:41 PM

Jul 2013
I usually browse the review section after finishing something disappointing to see if I'm the only sane person in the room

Most (not all) reviews with a good helpful percentage are based entirely on whether someone likes the score given not the content of the review itself.
Jan 19, 2014 3:46 PM

Oct 2012
No, but I have read reviews that mention something that I've missed or take a different perspective on that make me stop and think.

Jan 19, 2014 3:46 PM

May 2013
I like to use people's reviews to determine if I'll possibly like an anime. Whether it's a positive or negative review, I look at the reasons people say what they say and if I tend to agree with those then I feel that I'd be likely to agree with their review of the show. On the flip side, if I find myself disagreeing with their reasons for their opinion, then I would likely not feel the same about that particular anime. It's not all that accurate if I just look at one review, but by looking at several detailed ones with both high and low ratings I can usually predict whether or not I'll like an anime. Since I have a very large PTW list compared to my completed list I generally try to watch shows that I think I'll most likely enjoy. Eventually I plan on watching anime I might dislike to broaden my horizons, but I just don't have the time to waste my time watching bad shows.

tldr: Reviews can be useful if you read in between the lines.
Jan 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
Jan 19, 2014 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
no

Jan 19, 2014 4:15 PM

Apr 2011
No, I don't read reviews, cause most of them are made by retards who make them after watching 1 episode, cause "omg omg I need to be 1st I will get most thumbs up xoxoxox!!"
Jan 19, 2014 6:48 PM

Feb 2013
A little...

I mostly only look at the reviews with lower scores, if I look at any at all. I usually don't agree with what others think is "good", so I just skip over all the 10's.

I usually find the recommendations section more useful. If the recommendations are for other anime that I liked, that helps... if they are for anime that I didn't like, that helps too.
Jan 19, 2014 6:52 PM

Oct 2013
Not at all. I do not know any review who has my taste so I do not even bother. I just know a few who kind of have my taste.

I take there ratings with the weather that the sky is going to show me tomorrow.
Jan 19, 2014 6:55 PM

Oct 2011
Yes, especially if they came from well-known reviewers such as Archaeon or Beatnik. It helps me get an idea of what I am going to look forward to in watching a show.
Jan 19, 2014 6:58 PM
Jul 2013
GRArkada and various writers on Anime News Network always influence me on a first impression note. My opinion usually differs by the time it's done.
Jan 19, 2014 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
Not really.
I watch GRArkada's reviews of the anime I already saw before, but anime that I want to watch I tend to hold of on, because I want to get into an anime without knowing whats about to happen.

I choose my anime mainly on preference and synopsis
Jan 19, 2014 7:08 PM

Sep 2013
Not really but if a series has an overwhelming amount of 5's and 6's I usually won't watch the series.
Jan 19, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2012
I don't read them since most of them are either biased or from the future.
Jan 19, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2007
MrAwesome2014 said:

Being biased is the entire point of a review of subjective material such as anime.
Jan 19, 2014 7:21 PM

Jul 2011
I stay the fuck away from reviews.

^^Like thingo said, they are supposed to be biased. I don't know if they're glorifying aspects that I will hate or not unless I actually watch it myself.
Jan 19, 2014 7:28 PM

Oct 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:

Being biased is the entire point of a review of subjective material such as anime.

Yet you always hear in a review "I will try not to be biased"
Jan 19, 2014 7:33 PM

Jun 2007
Fierce_Deity22 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:

Yet you always hear in a review "I will try not to be biased"

That's because the people writing them are dipshits, which further proves my point that you shouldn't ever listen to their opinions either.
Jan 19, 2014 7:39 PM

Jul 2011
They should replace reviews with dot point tooltips(?):

-"Shit doesn't go down until episode 4"
-"Mc is a gigantic faggot"
-"Lot's of implied lesbians, relatively funny,"otaku" culture"
-"Head Tilts, PLOT, lots and lots of seemingly pointless dialogue"

Now that would be actually helpful to me, tldr reviews that nobody cares about can suck a dick.
Jan 19, 2014 8:47 PM

Aug 2011
I have a very limited amount of free time, so I usually don't watch shows rated below a 7.70 average on MAL unless it's in a genre that I know I'll like regardless of whether or not it's good. For the most part, MAL's ratings have matched up to my own so I kind of trust them, for better or for worse.

On the other hand, reviews don't affect me as much since it's just one person's opinion. Unless the review mentions something specific about the show that I know I'll dislike, I usually take reviews with a grain of salt, both positive and negative ones.
Jan 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Sep 2013
It is inevitable that good reviews influence my opinion. Some anime I enjoyed were negatively influenced by flaws I hadn't noticed before, for example. Also, reading a review before watching an anime will ultimately decide what mindset you will use while approaching the anime, and what your expectations are.

Bad reviews, however, don't mean anything to me.
Jan 19, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
I tend to take them at face value.

I usually get a 2nd opinion before watching an anime after reading a review. I notice there is an awful lot of bias put toward anime reviews that generally speaking, someone's analysis can become off-base. It's part of the reason why I stopped doing reviewing altogether. I felt like my reviews were far too biased and I gave higher scores toward a particular genre than others because of my own personal preferences.
Jan 19, 2014 9:35 PM

Jan 2014
Not really. I've never bothered with them when I pick my own Anime to watch. I've found myself in the past, enjoying an Anime that the top reviewer said to be bad.
Jan 19, 2014 9:41 PM

Dec 2012
I try not to. I'm a huge Bleach fan despite what everyone says about it :| But there are some things i will agree on with reviews. Sometimes i look at them just to see what other people thought, but my anime experience would suck if i believed everything XD
Jan 19, 2014 9:42 PM

May 2012
No, I just use them as a guide to get a general idea. People praise madoka like it is a masterpiece yet I couldn't disagree any more.
Jan 19, 2014 9:56 PM

Dec 2012
It's not the reviews that stop me reading a manga or watching an anime. It's my picky personality. I'm super picky so that's what stops me and that happens 100% of the time. But I do read them from time to time.

TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:

^ So true. Which is why I don't read them too much or write one.
Jan 19, 2014 11:10 PM

Jan 2014
No because my opinion is fact and superior to all others. Whenever an opinion is formed by me, it is immediately written down in all online and offline encyclopedias.

Just kidding! Anyway, I myself wouldn't totally turn away from an anime without giving it a chance just because of a few bad reviews. It's all about preference, and it's different for each individual. As the saying goes, "don't knock it til you try it!"
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Jan 19, 2014 11:13 PM

Aug 2013
I usually listen to their review if it's a 10 or a 9. Otherwise, not really.

Typically, the 6s and 7s are very subjective. To one person, a 6 is a bad score. To another, it might be a decent score.

*shrugs*
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» why the double standard?

Cielord - 8 hours ago

15 by Kenzolo-folk »»
3 minutes ago

» I was on YouTube and I saw this craziest anime community post

Kiryotsu - 5 hours ago

23 by PostMahouShoujo »»
4 minutes ago

» This is a serious question. So answer seriously...

LenRea - 52 minutes ago

12 by ColourWheel »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

72 by logopolis »»
12 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - May 28

71 by Timeline_man »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.