Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 27, 2013 6:12 AM

Oct 2012
There is no doubt that anime is looking better with each coming year. Animations are more advanced, and the overall art is better. But recently there have been many people that say that anime is becoming more bland with each coming year. With animes that focus too much on moe. Romance scenarios that have been done a dozen times, and shounens that feel repetitive. They feel that anime is getting worse with each coming year. So what do you think? Are recent anime getting better or worse?

Edit: For people angry at me for creating threads that have been done before I have only started to actually watch the forums recently. So I didn't know that this thread was done before. Sorry if I made anyone angry.
lollithDec 28, 2013 4:10 AM
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 27, 2013 6:19 AM
May 2012
it is getting worse.
Dec 27, 2013 6:23 AM

Oct 2013
Quality of anime in general isn't constant. One year/season can have bunch of awesome anime, while next can be shit. Right now it is going downhill.
Dec 27, 2013 6:25 AM

Jul 2012
I cant really say it was getting worse..
if you're talking about the animation.. then it's obvious that it was getting better..
most anime now adapt from LN... and some of LN these days are schoollife-romance-comedy-ecchi-drama with a cliche ending.. well, I'm saying some of 'em.. not all of them..
so

Better I guess
Dec 27, 2013 7:20 AM

Feb 2010
The only thing that's for sure is that the new anime each year are newer than the ones from the previous year.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 27, 2013 7:21 AM

Jun 2007
But recently there have been many people that say that anime is becoming more bland with each coming year. With animes that focus on moe.
That's only the subjective opinion of people who view moe as a bad thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Dec 27, 2013 7:22 AM

Mar 2012
2011 was excellent, 2012 was a lot worse, then 2013 was a bit better than 2012.
Dec 27, 2013 7:29 AM
Aug 2013
It was never good.
Dec 27, 2013 7:29 AM

Aug 2013
"Back in my day..."
Dec 27, 2013 7:31 AM

Sep 2012
Its a bit worse than prior years, not horrible though.

And it doesnt mean its going to stay that way either.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 27, 2013 7:32 AM

Jun 2013
Every year the amount of good anime in existence increases at least a little bit. Therefore new anime gets compared to the cream of the crop of all previous anime and it's getting harder and harder for new anime to compare to the best anime out there before it. So people's expectations are just increasing.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Dec 27, 2013 7:34 AM

May 2013
It's getting better in some areas and worse in others, but overall it is getting better. Although it's pretty normal to think that everything was better "back in the day", that's just the nostalgia effect kicking in, keeping us from remembering all the shit back then and only remembering the gems.
Dec 27, 2013 7:44 AM

Mar 2011
If you're not into the insanely complex and amazing "high-school kid gets girls for no reason, he probably has powers too" thing Japan has going on since, well since the last five years or so, then you're really missing out!

Every season I look at, the majority is unwitty comedy, nonsensical highschool setting with an absurd main character that has nothing going for him. Even the animation itself is getting worse. The majority of backgrounds are more static than my powerpoint presentations, with characters being drawn like pre-pubescent females (males having no muscle or facial complexions).

These days it seems to be out with the

And in with the

Who is that second handsome fella you ask? Well, he's no other than the main character in every.fucking.anime released.

Edit: Nice img code tags MAL.
TreekodarDec 27, 2013 7:48 AM
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Dec 27, 2013 7:47 AM

Mar 2008
At this rate there will be no good anime after 2014!
But worry not!!!!!
For I have a CUNNING PLAN involving microwaves, a particle collider, and teenagers in heat.

Aid the cause by donating $$$ over at www.therealworldisnt3D.net
Dec 27, 2013 7:48 AM

Feb 2010
Treekodar said:
If you're not into the insanely complex and amazing "high-school kid gets girls for no reason, he probably has powers too" thing Japan has going on since, well since the last five years or so, then you're really missing out!

Every season I look at, the majority is unwitty comedy, nonsensical highschool setting with an absurd main character that has nothing going for him. Even the animation itself is getting worse. The majority of backgrounds are more static than my powerpoint presentations, with characters being drawn like pre-pubescent females (males having no muscle or facial complexions).

And in with the

Who is that second handsome fella you ask? Well, he's no other than the main character in every.fucking.anime released.

Oh no, one of those. Go make out with DraconisMarch or MajinSaga or something. You're delusional ;)
Dec 27, 2013 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
It's not getting better or worse. It's the same. I don't understand how people can think it's going either way. 20 years ago there was awesome shows and lot's of crap shows. No there are awesome shows and lot's of crap shows. Just watch everything dammit!
Dec 27, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2011
neither, theres no trend of getting better or worse especially when you say "XXXX was better back in XXXX" because it actually wasnt, we judge the present harsher than our past since we can easily forget all the horrible things we watched in our past

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 27, 2013 7:55 AM
Dec 2010
Past 3 years have been the golden era of anime. A series like Noucome or Date a Live which would have ranked 20-30th among all the series this year would have been top 10 in any of the pre 2010 years.
Dec 27, 2013 8:54 AM

Jun 2012
scytheavatar said:
Past 3 years have been the golden era of anime. A series like Noucome or Date a Live which would have ranked 20-30th among all the series this year would have been top 10 in any of the pre 2010 years.

Are you sure?
Dec 27, 2013 9:07 AM

Aug 2013
scytheavatar said:

I personally enjoyed noucome and had a tough choice of deciding if i thought it was a 7 or and 8 and i believe it is under rated at least in the sense of compared to other things rated around it. But as it is a comedy show, i feel like most comedy shows can't be highly rated because humor as a whole is very different from person to person. So as a whole I'm fine with were it is ranked.
Dec 27, 2013 9:14 AM

Nov 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
neither, theres no trend of getting better or worse especially when you say "XXXX was better back in XXXX" because it actually wasnt, we judge the present harsher than our past since we can easily forget all the horrible things we watched in our past

Only good answer, nothing more needs to be said.
Dec 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Jul 2011
None of both, it's the same
Dec 27, 2013 9:47 AM
Mar 2013
In my opinion, it ibviously depends on the anime. But we can't say "oh it's worse" or "oh it's better". Of course I'm generalizing, but one of the positive aspects of the new anime is the animation. Not that I'm saying old anime is not good or doesn't look good, but the majority isn't so well animated, especially if the project has a low budget.
On the other hand I think new anime (then again, I'm generalizing) is not so captivating, especially if you're used to old anime; Because the new one has so much ecchi just to keep the viewer interested, sometimes it's even difficult to find a good story.
I think we just need to find something which appeals to us and don't exclude it just because it was made recently or not.
Dec 27, 2013 9:50 AM

Jun 2012
The only difference is the new shitty stuff is different from the old shitty stuff. I like the old shitty stuff better, but hey, it doesn't really matter.
получить деньги моего друга
Dec 27, 2013 9:55 AM

Jun 2009
2013 is kinda weak compare to the last 3 years before it, but I wouldn't say anime got worse.

I'm pretty sure next year will be better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2013 11:29 AM

May 2013
Treekodar said:

And in with the

Edit: Nice img code tags MAL.

Ahh, so that is where the angry old man with the silly contacts in his avi comes from! XD
Dec 27, 2013 11:35 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Divider said:
Ahh, so that is where the angry old man with the silly contacts in his avi comes from! XD

This comment is a disgrace.
получить деньги моего друга
Dec 27, 2013 11:37 AM

Jun 2012
Its getting better.
Only someone with shit taste will fail to realize that.
Dec 27, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
It's the same shit as it's always been.
Dec 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2013
I would say anime is the same. It seems to be constant that every year only has 1-2 amazing anime to watch. like for instance 2013 had attack on titan. 2012 had sword art online. 2011 had mirai nikki. this might be because i am very picky with anime, but whatever.
Dec 27, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2013
Mirai Nikki and SAO are awesome anime?
Dec 27, 2013 12:15 PM

Dec 2013
i can't think of anything else worth watching in the past 3 years..
Dec 27, 2013 12:18 PM

Dec 2013
What about the volume of anime produced today vs say 10 years ago?
Dec 27, 2013 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
Why_Envy_Bro said:

What about Guilty Crown?
Dec 27, 2013 12:24 PM

Feb 2013
It depends on who you ask this question, my opinion is that it's impossible not to find at least one good anime each year.
Dec 27, 2013 12:29 PM

May 2013
samishime said:
Dark_Divider said:

This comment is a disgrace.

So, those aren't contacts then?
Dec 27, 2013 12:31 PM

Sep 2012
>Joined: Oct 2012

Really dude?
Dec 27, 2013 12:32 PM

Dec 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why_Envy_Bro said:

What about Guilty Crown?
I watched 1 episode of guilty crown and thought it was dumb. couldn't get into it

Deadman wonderland is a better anime than that in 2011 and that wasn't even that great lol
Dec 27, 2013 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
Ulquiorra1923 said:
It depends on who you ask this question, my opinion is that it's impossible not to find at least one good anime each year.

This.

At least one amazing prodution per year is all i ask.
Dec 27, 2013 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
Red_Keys said:

Really dude?

Right, because he couldn't have been an anime fan before joining MAL...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 27, 2013 12:47 PM

Aug 2013
Why_Envy_Bro said:

There are many worth anime which happened to be released around the mentioned years.

But take a look at Sakamichi no Apollon, at least. I bet you may enjoy it a lot if you like more realistic and original approaches for anime stories
Dec 27, 2013 12:48 PM

Aug 2013
I think it's getting better. Visuals and standards usually go up with time, that's true for anything.
Dec 27, 2013 1:17 PM

Sep 2012
Why_Envy_Bro said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why_Envy_Bro said:

What about Guilty Crown?
I watched 1 episode of guilty crown and thought it was dumb. couldn't get into it

Deadman wonderland is a better anime than that in 2011 and that wasn't even that great lol

What about Sword Art Online?
Dec 27, 2013 1:17 PM

Sep 2012
geralt said:
Red_Keys said:

Really dude?

I'm talking about the fact that he's been here for over a year, and yet still has the audacity to create this fucking thread that's done at least once a month and always gets locked because it's pointless and redundant as all hell.
Dec 27, 2013 1:18 PM

Jul 2012
Wakasama said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

Only good answer, nothing more needs to be said.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Dec 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Dec 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The only thing that's for sure is that the new anime each year are newer than the ones from the previous year.

People usually prefer what's new these days. Some might find it odd if you are still playing the Call of Duty or BF from last year instead of CoD: Ghosts of BF4 on next gen consoles...
Dec 27, 2013 1:35 PM

May 2013
Red_Keys said:
geralt said:
Red_Keys said:

Really dude?

I'm talking about the fact that he's been here for over a year, and yet still has the audacity to create this fucking thread that's done at least once a month and always gets locked because it's pointless and redundant as all hell.

Pretty sure you can tell by his post count that he doesn't lurk the forums like the rest of us do though. Would've thought you'd have taken that into consideration before blurting out that statement.
Dec 27, 2013 1:55 PM

Aug 2013
If you ask me I'll tell you it's gotten worse on average. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of exceptions. I feel like modern anime lacks the depth and artistry of the anime from "yesteryear". Idk, just an overall lack of originality and heavy use of archetypes/cliches and fan service on average among other things.

Not ALL modern anime but alot of modern anime I feel like has lost its sense of telling a pragmatic, greatly woven story. There seems to be again, ON AVERAGE (not everything) a lack of maturity in both the conventional and underlying facets of (visual) storytelling.
Dec 27, 2013 1:58 PM

Nov 2013
It's getting a lot worse. No more new ideas, just generic and boring shows.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art?

Spunkert - Mar 11

48 by Swyzen »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

12 by Zettaiken »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 4 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

9 by Jonas-K »»
20 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

91 by Fyk0 »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.