Forum Settings
Forums

Director Miyazaki Hayao Announced Retirement From Feature Length Film Making

New
Sep 1, 2013 8:05 AM

Sep 2012
Renowned anime director Miyazaki Hayao has made known that he has decided to retire from making feature-length films and that "Kaze Tachinu" is his last work of its kind. The news was broken by Hoshino Kouji, president of Studio Ghibli, at a press conference at the Venice Film Festival, where "Kaze Tachinu" is being screened in the competition section. Miyazaki himself will hold a press conference on September 6th to provide more details about his retirement.

Source: NHK
NaruleachOct 5, 2013 5:19 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2013 8:09 AM
Sep 1, 2013 8:10 AM

Apr 2013
Hi friends I'm here
GOODBYE FRIENDS IM GONE CRYING MY TEARS OUT
Sep 1, 2013 8:12 AM

Sep 2011
We all knew this was coming sooner or later, we just didnt want to accept it, thank you for your 40+ years of film and television sir, may you have a wonderful retirement.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 1, 2013 8:12 AM

Feb 2013
Was it because of the controversies around Kaze Tachinu or just out of age?
741shadowSep 1, 2013 8:22 AM
Sep 1, 2013 8:14 AM

Dec 2009
This is too sad. Why...................................

Thanks for all the awesome work and movies you made. Such a masterpiece!

Mar 2010
Thats sad to hear, but his last movie Is going to be excellent since it based on a true story!~ or something like that.
I haven't seen all his movies yet, but all the ones I did watch always leaves you with tears or a strong emotion.

Nice having him around, time to move on.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

Feb 2013
NOOOOOooooo!

I mean, I knew it'd happen sooner or later, and I wish him the best, but...

(This is the first time that I announced the news to my entire family and they reacted similarly.)
Sep 1, 2013 8:18 AM
Jul 2012
Wow, this is.. sad. He did a great job and was even popular in the western.
Sep 1, 2013 8:19 AM

Sep 2012
741shadow said:
Was it because of the controversies around Kaze Tenchu
You mean the controversy of it showing smoking in the movie? Oh yes, this is actually the biggest controversy of the film in Japan LOL

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 1, 2013 8:22 AM

Jul 2010
Saw it coming but wished that he could make some more films. Guess now we have stuck with his son.
Sep 1, 2013 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
goodbye sensei.. thanks for all of your work up to this day..
it's really a huge loss for the anime industry..
and it's a huge shock for me personally, may you rest in your place..
goodbye sensei..
God_of_CardboardSep 1, 2013 8:28 AM
Sep 1, 2013 8:25 AM

Apr 2009
He mentioned it several times already, but this time it seems he is for real. What a sad day.

symbv said:
741shadow said:
You mean the controversy of it showing smoking in the movie? Oh yes, this is actually the biggest controversy of the film in Japan LOL

Wow, that's a nice and intelligent way of sharing knowledge....
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 1, 2013 8:26 AM

Jan 2010
symbv said:

Sounds like something that would get a bunch of fat bored housewives in America pissed off too. I guess complaining about stupid things is universal.
Ok™

Apr 2008
He shall be missed! :(

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
741shadow said:
Wow, that's a nice and intelligent way of sharing knowledge....
Yeah, if 741shadow did not know that, then I am sharing this information because I really don't have much idea about what "controversies" he is talking about unless he elaborates it.

Sep 1, 2013 8:27 AM
Aug 2013
Don't know who he is since I haven't watch his films before, but dang that is sad.
Sep 1, 2013 8:29 AM

Sep 2010
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Don't know who he is since I haven't watch his films before, but dang that is sad.
Then you've missed something really good ...

Sep 1, 2013 8:30 AM

Feb 2013
symbv said:
741shadow said:

that as well but mostly this http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-called-anti-japanese-a-traitor-and-865643505
Sep 1, 2013 8:32 AM

Sep 2012
741shadow said:
symbv said:
741shadow said:

that as well but mostly this http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-called-anti-japanese-a-traitor-and-865643505
But that comment from Miyazaki is totally UNRELATED TO the film Kaze Taichinu (by the way it seems you misspelled the name of the film, anyway..). Even the article you quoted, despite having its own bias in picking what is reported, does not say that it is about "controversies around Kaze Tachinu", as stated in your post, since it said "Attacks like these appear to be from individuals how[sic] haven't seen the movie. So, what's the deal? Is it the movie? No, it's something Miyazaki said".
symbvSep 1, 2013 8:52 AM

Sep 1, 2013 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
Guess it's time for his son to take the reigns.
Sep 1, 2013 8:34 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
this is the worst day of my life
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Sep 1, 2013 8:37 AM

Mar 2010
GoldenthunderBRS said:

You must've been living in a cave

even non-anime fans knew who he is, not sure how could you not known him.
Sep 1, 2013 8:39 AM

Jun 2012
Calm down you fools. He'll probably come back when the next ghibli film flops.
Sep 1, 2013 8:41 AM

May 2008
Shuhan said:
Maybe he would.

.....But sometimes //deaths// are sudden, i just hope he'll live long.
Sep 1, 2013 8:42 AM

Sep 2012
Shuhan said:
Think about it, he only said he is retiring from making feature length film, so it can mean he is not ruling out making short film, TV series and OVA...

Sep 1, 2013 8:46 AM

Oct 2011
GoldenthunderBRS said:

How have you not seen any of his films?
Sep 1, 2013 8:46 AM

Apr 2012
GoldenthunderBRS said:
I hope this a joke. A really terrible, unformatted, badly written joke.

I've seen some of his movies (plan to see more in the future) so it's a shame that such a talented director is retiring. Though, seeing his age and what not, I can understand why.
Sep 1, 2013 8:47 AM
Aug 2013
Dask said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:

I used to watch disney as a kid, or I wasn't born/saw the films yet. So I am very new to this guy he makes.

Akichii said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
I hope this a joke. A really terrible, unformatted, badly written joke.

I've seen some of his movies (plan to see more in the future) so it's a shame that such a talented director is retiring. Though, seeing his age and what not, I can understand why.

It ain't a joke. For real I haven't saw his movies before.

Though I may plan to watch Spirited away, and some other movies by ghibli.

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.
LunaSep 1, 2013 10:35 AM
Sep 1, 2013 8:49 AM

May 2008
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Dask said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:

I used to watch disney as a kid, or I wasn't born/saw the films yet. So I am very new to this guy he makes.

At least you should have heard of him or something. no?
Sep 1, 2013 8:50 AM

Nov 2009
The time has come...
...to find his successor of course ;)

This old man is an animation legend, and I'll wonder if there will be a time that someone will overcome his great contribution and legacy~ Kudos to Sir Miyazaki, wishing him a nice retirement from anime filmmaking!

Sep 1, 2013 8:51 AM

May 2011
This is understandable but the first thing that came into my mind when reading the original post was this;
symbv said:
he only said he is retiring from making feature length film, so it can mean he is not ruling out making short film, TV series and OVA...
Sep 1, 2013 8:51 AM
Sep 2010
awww im going to misss his movies ;A;
Sep 1, 2013 8:52 AM

Mar 2012
Shuhan said:

What makes you think it'll flop?
Sep 1, 2013 8:52 AM

Jul 2008
Good for him. Take a rest.
Sep 1, 2013 8:56 AM

Sep 2012
From the films of him that I've seen, I'm not that big of a fan of him, but still, some surprising news. Thought he was going to be making movies until the day he died.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Sep 1, 2013 8:59 AM

Mar 2012
I'm sad to hear this. A big inspirtation and important figure in the anime industry. But, like others said, it's bprobably time for him to retire. It's been pretty much lots of years after all.

symbv said:
741shadow said:
symbv said:
741shadow said:

But that comment from Miyazaki is totally UNRELATED TO the film Kaze Taichinu (by the way it seems you misspelled the name of the film, anyway..). Even the article you quoted, despite having its own bias in picking what is reported, does not say that it is about "controversies around Kaze Tachinu", as stated in your post, since it said "Attacks like these appear to be from individuals how[sic] haven't seen the movie. So, what's the deal? Is it the movie? No, it's something Miyazaki said".

Yeah and smoking in the film seems much more related to why he's retiring instead of a much bigger controversy. Like, really?
Sep 1, 2013 8:59 AM

Jun 2011
N-no this cant be happening ;A;
I-ts fine people no need to worry about me... *Runs away crying*

I thank you Miyazaki for being such a huge part of my childhood, and you will be missed <3
Sep 1, 2013 9:03 AM

Aug 2011
GoldenthunderBRS said:

I'm sorry, but how in the hell can you be an anime fan and not know who Miyazaki is?
Sep 1, 2013 9:04 AM

Nov 2008
He's not fully retiring, that will only happen when he dies.

He's still going to be working on shorts and helping out with films.

Sep 1, 2013 9:05 AM
Aug 2011
mitch3315 said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:

I'm sorry, but how in the hell can you be an anime fan and not know who Miyazaki is?

Anything's possible with GoldenBRS.
Sep 1, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
It seems like it's time. It's a good note for him to end off on since he got to direct the film of a manga adaption he did.
Sep 1, 2013 9:10 AM
Aug 2013
mitch3315 said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:

understand me that I just haven't heard him before people. Though in the club someone helped me who he is so please stop going crazy by saying those stuff geeez. fon't need that.
Sep 1, 2013 9:14 AM

Nov 2011
Sep 1, 2013 9:15 AM

Sep 2012
GoldenthunderBRS said:
understand me that I just haven't heard him before people. Though in the club someone helped me who he is so please stop going crazy by saying those stuff geeez. fon't need that.
I guess if you had phrased your first post better like doing some basic research about who he is and how famous he is before jumping into this thread stating "I don't know him and I have never seen his work" the outcome could have been very different. At the end, people would ask why you want to comment if you have no idea who he is?

Sep 1, 2013 9:20 AM

Jun 2009
Well this is sad but he is getting to point of retirement.
Sep 1, 2013 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
Sensei Arigatou-gozaimashita.
先生ありがとうございました。
Thank you for giving the world multiple animated masterpieces (Spirited Away~) and your contribution to the industry.
I hope you have a great retirement.
All war is deception. -Sun Tzu
Sep 1, 2013 9:24 AM
Aug 2013
symbv said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
I guess if you had phrased your first post better like doing some basic research about who he is and how famous he is before jumping into this thread stating "I don't know him and I have never seen his work" the outcome could have been very different. At the end, people would ask why you want to comment if you have no idea who he is?

Probably because I may haven't remembered what his movies are, or may not remember if I saw it as a kid back when I watched Disney. If some people would have list them down, than I may remember who he is and what movie he makes. That will be a diffrent outcome.
Sep 1, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2013
He's the director of kids movie (like Disney but 100 times better) in Japan. He dedicated 50 years in the movie production of Studio Ghibli and made several masterpieces like:
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Totoro
, etc.
All war is deception. -Sun Tzu
Sep 1, 2013 9:28 AM

Sep 2011
My reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Of course I know it's probably not a full retirement, but it's still so sad. I haven't watched much of his movies yet (3 or 4), but I still know what a great man he is. I will still miss his works :(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Mashle' Anime Sequel Announced

Nioxys - 7 hours ago

11 by Rimuru0001 »»
1 hour ago

» "Oshi no Ko" Season 2 Reveals Supporting Cast Pair, Opening Theme, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by mshfqtny »»
2 hours ago

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Yesterday

47 by Merve2Love »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - May 23

23 by thebrentinator24 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Hazurewaku no "Joutai Ijou Skill" de Saikyou ni Natta Ore ga Subete wo Juurin suru made' Announces Additional Cast, Ending Theme

DatRandomDude - May 19

4 by memoire2s »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.