Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hold any unpopular beliefs that you choose not to voice IRL?

New
Apr 20, 2013 3:52 PM

Sep 2011
Just what the title says. Do you hold any unpopular beliefs that you'd rather people wouldn't find out about? Do you generally stand up for any beliefs you hold? Obviously people will act differently on the internet, because of anonymity and of all, but that's not all this thread is about. People will sometimes hold their opinions to themselves, either out of wanting to preserve social harmony, avoiding any social stigma etc.. I wanted to know about your thoughts/opinions/experiences surrounding this phenomenon.

I can start by citing myself as an example. A few years ago I used to be a much bigger proponent for eugenics than I am today. If it in a conversation ever came up, I would always refrain from giving my two cents, because I always knew that it would most likely create a shitstorm, and that most people are very critical about those sorts of opinions.

They say that ''friends who want to stay friends shouldn't discuss either politics or religion'', and that's often part of it too. Sometimes if I haven't gotten to know someone very well, I'll keep myself from uttering any belief(s) that could potentially alienate them. About a year ago I found out one of my closest friends had for a long time self-identified as a neo-nazi. Now the signs were always there, but had this become apparent sooner, then obviously my disposition towards those kinds of people/beliefs would have had a much greater effect in shaping our relationship.

Soo, what are your thoughts on this? Would it be better if people were generally more vocal/open regarding their beliefs?
BryanBosslingApr 20, 2013 4:59 PM
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Oct 2012
No, none of these topics on MAL would ever come up in real life conversations. If anyone brings up pedophilia, they they've already established the framework for weirdness, and anything I say can be no weirder because he brought it up. I have no reason to talk about any of these things with anyone I know, but if the topic did somehow come up, I'm confident that I would be able to defend my positions unlike some people here.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 20, 2013 3:58 PM

Sep 2011
im not really shameful to have this belief nor do i really hide it but iv met only a select number of people who agree with me but i dont really bring it up much mainly cause theres rarely a need to

The war on drugs is causing more deaths than there would be if those drugs would legal, not only do we lose money fighting it but these drugs being off the market give the mobs and gangs a product to sell and make money off of it, more gang violence mean more Innocent caught in the crossfire and way more crime.if illegal drgs like heroin and cocain were legal there would be a giant decrease in crime and the gov't would not only save money and clear up our overcrowded prisons but they'd also make money off of the sale of these grugs even though they would need to be regulated to a heavy extent so that people cant get OD amounts

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 20, 2013 3:58 PM

Jun 2008
Ok, well, I'm an atheist but I tend to keep it to myself IRL.

I do stand for it IRL, but I just don't say anything if I can help it.

Religious topics greatly divide people IRL, it's too much of a hassle to get into.

If someone asks me if I go to church I say no.

If someone asks me if I'm religious or believe in god I say no.

If they ask me to explain, I will consider it, but most likely I will say that I would rather not talk about it.

Not because I'm not confident in my arguments, but because this is a topic that is just too touchy for some people.
Apr 20, 2013 3:59 PM

Sep 2011
JustALEX said:

Not because I'm not confident in my arguments, but because this is a topic that is just too touchy for some people.
agreed, and it doesnt help that there are atheists out there that have to be the biggest dicks about it giving us a bad name.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 20, 2013 4:02 PM

Jul 2007
I never bother defending my beliefs because I can't be bothered with arguments/I suck at arguments. If people ask for my opinion I'll give it and that'll be the end of it.
Apr 20, 2013 4:03 PM

Sep 2012
Lol my sexuality is kept to myself. But that's not really a "belief" I guess..

Congratulations MAL community, you know more about me sexually than my own friends and family do :D

Erm, socially, my beliefs can change depending on my mood. I can party and get drunk and stuff with other people (I am in college you know), but sometimes, the whole college party scene, with the douchbags and the drunk bitches gets the fuck on my nerves.

But I will always act my part, and pretend to enjoy being around these people at the risk of losing my social image. Yea, I cave into peer pressure like I'm made out of paper.

But I guess that isn't a "belief" either... hmm
Apr 20, 2013 4:03 PM

Jan 2013
I support Incest. There I said it.
Apr 20, 2013 4:04 PM

Jun 2008
Actually, I do recall an argument with one of my EX-friends....it wasn't long before the stereotypical "atheists= immoral people that don't believe in anything and hate god" argument reared it's ugly head.

It was a mess, and of course, it wasn't long until it got to me, and I myself started making stereotypical insults towards christians.

Apr 20, 2013 4:04 PM

Aug 2012
Hmm... well, unless people directly ask for my opinion, I'm not going to state it. I'm not the kind of person who goes "Hey, have you heard my opinion on *insert controversial issue* today?" Sure, I will defend my beliefs to the death (on the Internet and real life), but unless someone actively challenges it, I couldn't give a shit what they think.

You know, I honestly think friendships are built on... shaky ground. The more you know about them, the less you want to associate with them. Just as an example; most of the dormers in freshman year were friends for that one year only. As soon as they moved out of that place, almost all of them disconnected. Why were they friends? Was it cause they shared interests and beliefs? Or was it just because they needed to get rid of their loneliness? Clearly the latter here.

I don't know what to think of it. I keep my opinions to myself out of natural habit, not because of conflict prevention. But if people outwardly shared their thoughts more, sure, I'd be okay with it. I mean, I openly discuss politics and religion with an irl friend all the time; he doesn't seem offended by what I say, and I don't get offended by what he thinks. All is fair and square.

As for directly answering the topic title: Nope, I stand behind my opinions. I just don't share them unless somebody actually asks for it.
Solvite said:
slowclap.gif
Apr 20, 2013 4:08 PM

Sep 2011
I'm against abortion for reasons having nothing to do with religion, however try explaining that here in Europe. People here support abortion seemingly without a reason and if you don't you're a religious nut.

My point is that accepting abortion has become so common that if you don't agree with it you're an outcast, therefore I can't voice my genuine opinion about it.
Apr 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
I'd never have the guts to defend instinctual marriage irl. I'd never have the guts to tell people "I don't think lolli should be illegal" irl either.
I couldn't say "I don't see anything wrong with furries" to someone irl. I would be cautious talking about sadomasochism irl. My whole family thinks I'm christian when I'm actually an atheist.

And the biggest of all... NO ONE MUST EVER FIND OUT THAT I WATCH CHINESE CARTOONS IN MY FREE TIME!
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 20, 2013 4:12 PM

Sep 2012
Ghostony said:
And the biggest of all... NO ONE MUST EVER FIND OUT THAT I WATCH CHINESE CARTOONS IN MY FREE TIME!
Also THIS.
Apr 20, 2013 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
Not necessarily, or at least there's nothing coming to mind at the moment. The only difference is that I'm not as vocal about my beliefs in person compared to the internet.

Apr 20, 2013 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
frankly, a crapload. i just can't bring myself to bother fighting with others. as long as they don't inflict their shit on me, i'll keep it to myself.
Apr 20, 2013 4:23 PM

Feb 2012
I hide a lot of things from my parents.BUt not from my friends.Honestly I am pretty honest to my friends,but lie to my parents.In fact it is like I show my parents a completely different untrue personality.

However here is one of the things I don't speak about very often:
Apples and grape should be extinct,in fact I hate them so much i wish they never existed.I HATE them.Not for their taste,but for some other reasons.They are one of my rare berserk buttons.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Apr 20, 2013 4:24 PM

Sep 2011
bluedragon777 said:

However here is one of the things I don't speak about very often:
Apples and grape should be extinct,in fact I hate them so much i wish they never existed.I HATE them.Not for their taste,but for some other reasons.

What other reasons?

Apr 20, 2013 4:24 PM

Sep 2012
bluedragon777 said:
Not for their taste,but for some other reasons.
I have to ask...
Apr 20, 2013 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
bluedragon777 said:
was your family killed by a pack of rampaging fruits?

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 2009
lol me and my friends/family have debates and discussions all the time regarding things like politics, religion, abortion, etc

nobody can beat me in a debate though

Jan 2011
No, I own up to everything IRL, because I'm not a pathetic tool.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Apr 20, 2013 4:29 PM

Feb 2012
Red_Keys said:
bluedragon777 said:
I have to ask...

The fact that I spent a shitload of my childhood working in wineyards and apple plantations.The fact that I was often sprayed with poisonous herbicides and stuff like that.The fact that those made me hate weekends,because most of my weekends i spent in those.The fact that I did labour in those that was too much for average children.The fact that my family almost broke because of those several times,because those were the main source of sadness in my family...

I would have been a much happier child without them.

I hate them beyond all rationality.In fact my hate towards them is maybe one of my main motivations for finishing college.
bluedragon777Apr 20, 2013 4:33 PM
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Apr 20, 2013 4:30 PM

Aug 2011
I can honestly say that I don't. I just don't enjoy holding my beliefs in when I don't have to. Everyone knows that I believe in God, that I'm into anime etc.

QueenJenny said:
Would it be better if people were generally more vocal/open regarding their beliefs?

I think so. People would know what they're getting into rather quickly so they can take things or leave them without any "surprises."

Apr 20, 2013 4:39 PM
Jul 2018
I think it'd be better if people were more vocal about their beliefs. Though at the same time, some things are often better left unsaid, because, as you said, they can start fights. It goes so far as, the fact that you mentioned eugenics makes me want to argue why I'm against eugenics. In real life, an argument about such a subject would be extremely irritating and likely lead to two people hating each other. Its much easier to argue on the internet.
While I won't say that I don't hold too many unpopular opinions to myself in real life, I do have some unpopular opinions. Some of which I'm not even sure I want to mention here as of right now.
Now, there are some things I show about myself that I hide to an extent in real life. You won't exactly find me talking about my love of things like My Little Pony, furries, and some specific anime like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt much in real life.

Red_Keys said:
Ghostony said:
Also THIS.

Actually, some people are pretty cool with anime and letting people find out about this can help you find some other local anime fans. It can help make friends. I don't think you should hide this.

EDIT: I do admittedly hide some of my own beliefs from others, especially in real life, as I think there are some beliefs I have that my parents wouldn't approve of.
removed-userApr 20, 2013 4:42 PM
Apr 20, 2013 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
RandomChampion said:

3/10
Apr 20, 2013 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Red_Keys said:
Ghostony said:
Also THIS.

Actually, some people are pretty cool with anime and letting people find out about this can help you find some other local anime fans. It can help make friends. I don't think you should hide this.
I don't want to be friends with people who are open anime fans.

They're 9 times out of 10 fucking weird.
Apr 20, 2013 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
MellowJello said:
Hmm... well, unless people directly ask for my opinion, I'm not going to state it. I'm not the kind of person who goes "Hey, have you heard my opinion on *insert controversial issue* today?" Sure, I will defend my beliefs to the death (on the Internet and real life), but unless someone actively challenges it, I couldn't give a shit what they think.

You know, I honestly think friendships are built on... shaky ground. The more you know about them, the less you want to associate with them. Just as an example; most of the dormers in freshman year were friends for that one year only. As soon as they moved out of that place, almost all of them disconnected. Why were they friends? Was it cause they shared interests and beliefs? Or was it just because they needed to get rid of their loneliness? Clearly the latter here.

I don't know what to think of it. I keep my opinions to myself out of natural habit, not because of conflict prevention. But if people outwardly shared their thoughts more, sure, I'd be okay with it. I mean, I openly discuss politics and religion with an irl friend all the time; he doesn't seem offended by what I say, and I don't get offended by what he thinks. All is fair and square.

As for directly answering the topic title: Nope, I stand behind my opinions. I just don't share them unless somebody actually asks for it.

Ha, yeah, a lot of people the more you know the less you want to be around them indeed. I was friends with someone for years and now we don't really like each other much. We have too many issues with each other.
Apr 20, 2013 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, I always hide my power level when in the real world.
Apr 20, 2013 4:55 PM

Mar 2011
I'm kind of on the fence about capital punishment, I don't usually voice that, if only for the fact that people seem to interpret you saying you don't really know if you support it or not as a show of ignorance.
Apr 20, 2013 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
The thread title seems to imply that real life discussion is more legitimate than internet discussion, which isn't necessarily true. They have different dynamics. I'm also confused as to what constitutes "standing" for something.

Vinter said:
So edgy.

Ghostony said:
I'd never have the guts to defend instinctual marriage irl.
Instinctual marriage? Is that when you see someone and instantly know you want to marry them?

But seriously, I wish no one had the guts to defend institutional marriage. That would be great.
JoshApr 20, 2013 4:59 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 20, 2013 4:59 PM

Sep 2011
Araby said:
The thread title seems to imply that real life discussion is more legitimate than internet discussion, which isn't necessarily true. They have different dynamics. I'm also confused as to what constitutes "standing" for something.

Fixed ;)

Apr 20, 2013 5:05 PM

Aug 2012
Araby said:
Ghostony said:
I'd never have the guts to defend instinctual marriage irl.
Instinctual marriage? Is that when you see someone and instantly know you want to marry them?

But seriously, I wish no one had the guts to defend institutional marriage. That would be great.

Lol, dat autocorrect.. Incestuous*
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 20, 2013 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
I gave K-on a 9.0 out of 10 and I meant it.
Apr 20, 2013 5:09 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:
But will you announce that IRL to your father?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 20, 2013 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
Solvite said:

>Not giving the single greatest and most philosophical anime of all time a based 10 out 10.

Apr 20, 2013 5:49 PM

Feb 2012
Red_Keys said:
Battlechili1 said:
Red_Keys said:
Ghostony said:
Also THIS.

I don't want to be friends with people who are open anime fans.

They're 9 times out of 10 fucking weird.

Oh that's so true. A good friend of mine who got me into anime is weird in a cool/extraverted kind of way, and I have one other friend who's 'openly' an anime fan but I don't think I could bring myself to actually befriend anyone else based on the fact that they like anime. It's no wonder there's stereotypes around people who watch anime, even anime fans think anime fans are weird.

I just read that back and it sounds like I only have two friends... think of it what you will.
Apr 20, 2013 5:54 PM

Jan 2011
Araby said:

Vinter said:
So edgy.

Was supposed to be provocative, and you got mad, so it clearly worked. :D

katsucats said:
Solvite said:
But will you announce that IRL to your father?

I gave it a 10/10 and I stand for that shit. K-ON! is fucking awesome. It is the paragon of what a moe blob anime is supposed to be like. Also from a musically technical standpoint, the music is impressive.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Apr 20, 2013 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
For the most part I'm pretty vocal about my beliefs because most of them are grounded in facts or logical reasoning. I don't arbitrarily bring them up but if they come up I will discuss them.

If anything, my beliefs are more unpopular on MAL than in real life.

Edit: It's actually really sad that VERY RATIONAL feminist views (I am not talking man-hater by ANY stretch) are more readily accepted in real life than on the internet. =/
AmberlehApr 20, 2013 6:05 PM
Apr 20, 2013 6:00 PM

Feb 2010
I'm not the first one to talk but ask and thou shall receive.
Apr 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Mar 2012
Vinter said:
Was supposed to be provocative, and you got mad, so it clearly worked. :D
I almost forgot that typing in regular sentences makes me look mad, lol.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 20, 2013 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
A teacher in my university asked the whole class who didn't believe in god.
I was the only one raising my hand, then the awkward stares and questions from everyone.
Since then, I keep that kind of topics to myself.
It's worthless when you live in a shithole country with no education and therefore without diversity of opinions.
Apr 20, 2013 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
I don't think I have any unpopular views, but I feel that I shouldn't voice some of my not so unpopular views with some people (particularly my family).
Apr 20, 2013 8:23 PM

Dec 2007
Solvite said:
Yeah, I've been thinking I really want to do my cousin sometime.
MellowJello said:

I have a friend from high school who is really vocal about her religion, which I frankly don't agree with. And I feel she's pushing her beliefs on me and it feels really uncomfortable. Possibly the only reason I'm friends with her is because besides that part, she is a good girl and I'd feel horrible leaving. She doesn't seem open with the fact that I may think differently and with her it's hard to voice out what I think.

Nor with my family. Otherwise, I couldn't care less what they think about me, though I don't tell anyone my opinions unless asked directly.
Apr 20, 2013 8:57 PM

Apr 2012
RandomChampion said:
lol me and my friends/family have debates and discussions all the time regarding things like politics, religion, abortion, etc

Because there's no point in "debating" with an ignorant warmonger.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Apr 20, 2013 9:03 PM

Dec 2009
No, I don't really have unpopular beliefs. I just say them (when depending in a situation) and say it when the opportunity could be right or un-harmful. But I don't bring up my beliefs out of nowhere. Only when asked or a conversation is leading to talk about beliefs/a belief.

I'm not afraid to speak on my beliefs.
Unless I can't express them well, or know that I won't be able to support them well to convince people I'm right in a debate (that only applies on class debates).
Or when I know its best not to use my belief or simply because it is unneeded. But of course sometimes I'll choose not to because I just don't want to or find any great reason to voice my belief.

Most of the time (in classes) I only voice them when I feel strongly about them.
waalex11Apr 20, 2013 9:07 PM
Apr 20, 2013 9:23 PM

Mar 2013
Well, I've always been a bit of a social gadfly or a contrarian towards my friends and family, I like to express unpopular opinions (not always my own) just to provoke a lively argument. What's the point of independent thought in a world where everyone agrees on everything?

If I have no sincerely held unpopular opinions on a topic, I'm quick to make up the most controversial statement and roll with it.

Darkbling said:
I stand up for all my beliefs. How to treat parents, religion, etc. And by religion, I mean if people bother me or others about religion, I'll tell them off and prove that mine is superior. Our Goddess Nagisa will save us all from Fake-Nagisa (yes I'm being serious). On to a serious note, if you truly believe in something, you'll fight it to the grave no matter what.

But how can this be so, H.P. Lovecraft/Abdul Alhazhred was the one true prophet of humanity's doom!
Snake_tartareApr 20, 2013 9:29 PM
Apr 20, 2013 9:29 PM

Feb 2012
I would never hide what I believe in, although I recognize that's not always the smartest choice. I accidentally let it slip that I was pro-choice in the eighth grade. Classmates antagonized for the rest of the school year. I was bullied a lot in middle school already, so none of this stuff was any worse than what I had already experienced, but it was the first time I was hated for what I thought and not what I looked like:

My name was scribbled on a white board once, accompanied by "is a baby murderer".
My locker and English desk were vandalized, proclaiming I was disgusting and evil.
I was pushed around in the hallways, and I had to fend off a gang of women who were ready to jump me for my view. (I am extremely lucky for two things: One, I am naturally stronger than most females, and two, a teacher was leading their class to lunch when I was corned in the stairwell. So they had to beat it.)

Jesus, I am glad to be in high school now.
Apr 20, 2013 10:06 PM

Dec 2009
Forgetfulness said:
I think homosexuality isn't "normal". Well, it probably has a lot to do with how I was raised
I know I'm right but people could disagree,
homosexuality is normal because, its from a human being that had the potential in his brain to become gay. "They were born gay."

I'd rather say, its not common than not normal. But I get what you mean. Most people are straight, which is in a way 'more normal' in society.
Apr 20, 2013 10:09 PM

Sep 2011
waalex11 said:

homosexuality is normal because, its from a human being that had the potential in his brain to become gay. "They were born gay."

What definition of normal are you using here? Some people are born with extra limbs, but that doesn't make it ''normal''.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

25 by traed »»
18 minutes ago

» My concerns about the future of Japan.

9765 - Jun 6

35 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago

» Ladies of mal, how do you feel about random compliment text messages?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

5 by DigiCat »»
2 hours ago

» The Curse of Overtourism

Meusnier - May 21

26 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago

» What is the point of participating in the community when the returns are negligible?

PostMahouShoujo - Jun 1

27 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.