Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2012 6:58 PM

Apr 2011
idk how many of you smoke... but ive been smoking for 7 years. since i was a teenager

and now im quitting. has anyone quit and been successful? what stratgies did you use? i think im going to get a nice thermos and just drink tea at times i normally smoke instead... i like tea
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 11, 2012 7:12 PM

Dec 2011
Its all about getting weaned off that oral fixation the cig provides. Using tea as a substitute is a good start. If you have a real bad urge I'd suggest getting some gum and chewing on it, you don't have to buy any specialty gum either like nicorette, its a waste of money and sometimes ends up just having you fall back into the habit.

Takes determination and a lot of willpower. If you can just slowly cut back instead of doing a cold turkey on the process which usually ends up with things not working out.
Jun 11, 2012 7:27 PM

Apr 2011
ive already been cutting back, so thats why i think im ready to just quit
i think i have more of a psychological addiction as opposed to a physical one because i only crave a cigarette when its time... like at breaks at work or inbetween classes in school

if i stay at home all day, or just do whatever, i don't crave them at all...
but i can't just stay at home all day, lol

so, ive been forcing myself to take some breaks were i go outside and don't smoke, just enjoy the fresh air lol
Jun 11, 2012 7:46 PM

Feb 2009
I smoked for eighteen years, 1 pack a day, add a pack when drinking, and add another pack on days off, Camel Wides were my drug of choice. Quitting altogether is the best route. I've watched people do all the steps, use the patch, gum, switch to lights, and they end up dragging it out longer and are the first ones to start back up again.

I would never smoke in my truck or my house, but would chain smoke on breaks, before and after work, and when drinking. I could do the same as you, if I stayed home alone all day, I didn't need a cigarette, but once I got out doing my routine, I would smoke like clockwork. When I quit, I just stopped. The first couple of weeks were rough, but after that it got easier and easier. I haven't smoked in 5 years.

Try and remove yourself from as many smoking situations as possible for awhile when you do quit to make it easier. Once you break the chemical addiction, you'll break the craving.
Is there another word for synonym?
Jun 11, 2012 7:49 PM

Mar 2012
I have no personal experience with smoking, but good choice and good luck.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 11, 2012 8:21 PM

Apr 2008
I went through a major depression phase when I was 17 and began smoking as a means to cope and despite getting through it, I still continued for about 3 years on a regular basis.

Then one day when I was 20, I literally took the pack from my pocket, tossed it in the garbage, and did not have a single cigarette again for 3 years. I didn't suffer from withdrawals, didn't have cravings, and I did absolutely nothing as a means to deal with the after effects. I just quit cold turkey and had no issues.

Over the following 2 years, I picked it up as a social thing. If a friend at the bar or club offered me one, I'd take it, and then be done. I would never go out and buy a pack myself because I didn't need it. There was no fixation on it.

Everyone is obviously different. In my experience, quitting was simple.
Jun 11, 2012 8:26 PM

Dec 2010
Going to just +1 Josh's comment, I smoke every now and then when I'm offered (similar to Inqed), but good choice and good luck quitting! Stay strong :o
Jun 11, 2012 8:32 PM

Apr 2011
ya i heard some people gain weight when they quit smoking because of the oral fixation or whatever...

i doubt that will be problematic for me. i'm a grazer, im constantly eating anyway lol
Jun 11, 2012 9:00 PM

Aug 2008
It's not that hard... but it does take will power. Easiest thing to do is to just NOT buy any packs. The urge to smoke doesn't last forever, only temporarily. If you don't have a pack, you can't smoke when you get the urge. You will be forced to go down to the store. And when you do, the urge should be gone by then. I used this method and was successful in quitting the first time, no nicotine patches or anything.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 11, 2012 10:13 PM
Aug 2011
I've been smoking since I was 11 or 12 (I don't remember quite when it started) and there was a period of, I think, 3 months or so when I did not: I had to have my tonsils removed when I was 15, so I didn't smoke for four weeks and seeing it was a perfect opportunity for me to stop, I went on for two more. Frankly, I did see some changes which were better, for starters I didn't cough up all that phlegm while getting up in the morning and it felt easier to breath in general. But I started again, not so much out of addiction, but it was more because I missed the taste of tobacco while drinking coffee or enjoying a nice beer...now I am 21, and while I admit that I am a complete addict, I still smoke because I rather enjoy the taste and smell of cigarettes. If I will have to stop smoking for a reason in the future, I will...although I know the longer I do smoke, the harder it will be to stop.

As for methods, I heard from various people, that holding a piece of rolled paper between your fingers, when you have a need to smoke, is a good trick. Furthermore, you could brush your teeth more often (one of my friends started brushing her teeth several times a day, because the taste was horrible when she smoked after) or just like you said, drink tea. You could also buy some nicotine gum or patches, but I am not sure how effective that really is. While I was stopping, I smoked those herbal cigarettes the first two weeks and they helped me a lot.

Of course, if you are a heavy smoker, the way will be fraught with peril...you will definitely need a lot of patience and perseverance. And be careful of not exchanging it with another addiction, like biting your nails. Anyway, good luck on your journey and I hope it works out for you. (^_^)
Jun 11, 2012 10:23 PM

Apr 2012
I've heard some people substitute smoking/vaping weed while they quit. You still get to smoke something but you ween yourself off of nicotine.
Jun 12, 2012 1:49 AM

Jan 2011
My dad quit and used tea and mints as a substitute, now he's completely quit and is amazed at how good his sense of smell is and will never go back.

The main key here is to find something else you can use as a substitute for whenever you get a craving, mints just happened to had been addictive as well. He went with mints that had no added stuff and were mainly peppermint oil and glucose. If you love tea then go for the tea drinking you mentioned, it's a good and healthy substitute for your cravings.

Try not to think about the first few weeks, just remember that after that time has passed you'll feel a lot better and confident.
Jun 12, 2012 2:14 AM

Jul 2009
Not a smoker, but:

I hate it when people smoke in the bathroom, or in any indoor public or semiprivate room. The smoke has nowhere to go, and I'm forced to inhale that poison if I want to relieve myself.

Smoker's breath is a turn-off, so please use mouthwash and a breath mint!
Jun 12, 2012 2:23 AM

Apr 2012
The hardest part is really to hack off the habit of picking up a smoke in various contexts. Honestly I found it more easy to quit than to cut back, but we're all different types. After you broke the habit (a month or so), it's really like you never smoked. Try to will it when it gets difficult, it's really worth it, you feel like being free again, it's hard to explain.
Plus your sense of sense of smell and taste get sharper, really makes you feel like spiderman or something.
Jun 12, 2012 2:43 AM

Oct 2011
mezzoguitar said:
Smoker's breath is a turn-off, so please use mouthwash and a breath mint!

From the off-side: using not the best mint makes it even worse.

And for OP:
If you want to quit smoking, than simply stop doing this. That's it.
Some tricks may help supporting it but they are just tricks.
Ahh and you might want to buy yourself some plasters or pills with nicotine, in case that withdrawal syndrome may kick in (we have it here also) it's not worst one but quite often it makes people come back to smoking.
Jun 12, 2012 3:09 AM

Jan 2011
It's not that hard, just stop doing it, all the tricks in the world won't help you if you don't want to.
Jun 12, 2012 3:28 AM
Dec 2009
Smoking for a year now. I tried to quit aswell.. Took me 5 days and I bought another pack of cigarettes.. I enjoy smoking and we live once, so why not enjoy it? :)
Jun 12, 2012 4:27 AM
May 2012
GH0STSMILES said:
idk how many of you smoke... but ive been smoking for 7 years. since i was a teenager

and now im quitting. has anyone quit and been successful? what stratgies did you use? i think im going to get a nice thermos and just drink tea at times i normally smoke instead... i like tea

Smoking is very dangerous thing. It is the main cause behind lung cancer please avoid it quit it.
Hospital Management System | Healthcare Software
Jun 12, 2012 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
Many people around me smoke, they always come up with the same talk "Oh I'll stop smoking next week" and then I see them breezing through packs and packs per day. Pff
Good luck anyway, if you really want to you can do it
Jun 12, 2012 7:21 AM

Apr 2008
I have never smoked myself, except when drinking but my dad who has smoked over three packs a day for over 30 years got hypnotized and quit. I mean I don't know that much about it so who knows, you might not be the kind of person who can get hypnotized. Other than that try something else..like have you ever seen the fake vapor cigarettes on the commercials, maybe try one of those?
Jun 12, 2012 8:29 AM

Jun 2010
Quitting smoking is an exceptional plan. If you have some kind of strategy and patches or whatever it is statistically better than trying to quit smoking cold turkey. But if you feel that quitting cold turkey will work, have been cutting back, and are ready, go for it.

Smoking is terrible for your body. It does not just damage your lungs.

Smoking causes damage and leads to cancer of the mouth (especially coupled with alcohol use and abuse), larynx, lungs, trachea, esophagus, stomach, and *kidneys*. Smoking also leads to damage to your blood vessels, causing thrombangiitis obliterans, infarctions, and death of peripheral tissues (leading to amputation) as well as kidney and heart damage unassociated with tumors.

Overall it is very bad and highly recommended that individuals who smoke should stop.

Its not toka koka.
Jun 12, 2012 8:42 AM

Apr 2011
thanks everyone. i am totally serious about quitting. no one has been pressuring me or anything, its a decision i made purely on my own so i'm confident i will be successful. ^_^
Jun 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Apr 2012
I've been smoking ever since I was 14 (I think, could be 13 not so sure anymore when I smoked my 1st) and after 6 years I challenged myself to quit for exactly 100 days.

There a whole story behind the reason that I won't go into. What my personal experiences and observations of friends who have been in an endless cycle of trial & error, tell me, is that to quit smoking you just have to quit. If you have the correct mindset, it will be no problem.

GH0STSMILES said:
its a decision i made purely on my own so i'm confident i will be successful. ^_^

Those 100 days went by in a flash, I was determined to quit smoking for a 100 days, and I did.
Though you probable wonder, did I start again?
The answer is yes. I did wait until the day somebody offered me a cigarette, instead of buying the first pack myself (started again after 109 days). But I just like smoking, it's really not an addiction (yet). The reason I did that 100 day challenge is because I've temporarily quit smoking before for a challenge and did so with ease. It was a self test, which I passed, and I plan to do it again, in the future.
Jun 12, 2012 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
simrankim said:
GH0STSMILES said:

Smoking is very dangerous thing. It is the main cause behind lung cancer please avoid it quit it.

I think most smokers understand the dangers of smoking...
It's really useless pointing out these things. Did you know that pollution also can cause lung cancer? Better watch out when you're taking a walk through the city!
Jun 29, 2012 1:11 PM
Jun 2012
Wow. I so hope you do. Best luck and strength but you will do it!
A mate who smoked since he was twelve and tried all the usual went to a G.P. and got lazier therapy on an acupressure point on his wrist. He quit that day and says the urge has not returned.
"Knowing where you are from and how you got there is the way to a strong spirit"
Jun 29, 2012 1:35 PM

Dec 2011
I haven't smoke cigarette ever but I still remember my dad when he smoked. He used to smoke Malboro reds for 21 years. One day he just smashed the box in hand, and chucked it into air. Quit for good. He is 51 years old and hasn't touched a cigarette since.

The hardest part in quitting is not experiencing the physical effects. Its the part of thinking you do not need them. Alot off people cave into them again because they can't bear the pain of quitting.
Jun 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Jun 2012
I wish you luck! My dad used to be an alcoholic and a smoker but he quit not for his own sake but for the sake of his kids. As long as you maintain a steadfast resolve, I'm sure you will be successful ;)
Jun 29, 2012 4:19 PM

Apr 2011
since this thread seemingly randomly got revived, i think i should post and just say ive so far kept my resolve to not smoke and haven't smoked since d(^_^)
Jun 29, 2012 5:07 PM

Jul 2011
I've only smoked thrice in my life without problem, never got the hang of it. Maybe a pipe is more my thing, or a nicotine free e-cig with vanilla flavor.

Meanwhile I've watched people struggle with guidebooks and go through weird procedures to quit smoking, and still failed at it. And others who just one day cold-turkeyed smoking after a decade or two.

Shouldn't be a problem if you're free of any respondent conditioning that commonly trigger the habit in some people, like stress or anxiety.

Congrats on your quit so far.
Jun 29, 2012 5:15 PM

Mar 2011
GH0STSMILES said:
since this thread seemingly randomly got revived, i think i should post and just say ive so far kept my resolve to not smoke and haven't smoked since d(^_^)
Good job! ^^
Jun 29, 2012 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Good luck. From what I've experienced with the people around me it is very hard to quit. Chewing gum or sucking on a mint or lollipop usually helps the urge to smoke.
Jun 29, 2012 5:22 PM

Mar 2008
Never smoked myself, but all the people I've seen who have failed to quit have fairly weak willpower to begin with.

If you truly want to, I believe it should be completely possible. Smoking is certainly not a beneficial method of dealing with stress.
Jun 29, 2012 5:23 PM

Mar 2011
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times....

You can all hate me now.
Jun 29, 2012 9:28 PM

Aug 2009
I started smoking when I was fifteen, but I started to quit when I was seventeen. It's really hard to break an addiction. People that never smoked cigarettes always told me to just quit, and there's nothing that irritated me more.

Don't buy the nicotine gum. It's a waste of money. It helps, though, to have things in your mouth. Normal gum works great for me. I've been told that tea works for some people, but I never liked tea. Coffee was a good substitute, though.

Jun 29, 2012 9:39 PM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times....

You can all hate me now.

Got me, you bastard.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 29, 2012 10:12 PM
Dec 2009
Quit smoking is like quitting anime.
Tried 2 days ago to quit and again.. failed.
Jun 29, 2012 10:48 PM
Nov 2011
Post-Josh said:
I have no personal experience with smoking, but good choice and good luck.
This.

Also, I think you can't leave something unless you make a firm resolve that you do want to leave it. If you've already made that and you're sure, I'm sure you'll be fine. From the people I've met, smoking habituation is nothing more than a normal addiction which gets you to a 'high' state for a little while, makes you feel soothed or something, and later you regret (if you're trying hard to leave.) It's feels like you can't stop but with the help of some firm resolve and maybe even psychological help--if the situation's in some drastic state--you will stop.

Hell, I've watched a guy addicted to shopping suffering from Oniomania who got into the same 'high' state when he buys stuff, but soon after, the high state disintegrates and all he feels is guilt and sees how indebted he actually is. He needed help of psychiatrists but that has, I presume, nothing to do with the OP.
Jun 29, 2012 10:49 PM
Jun 2008
I was never a smoker, but the best advice I've ever heard to quit was to give yourself a good incentive to do so, from a youtube video called "The war on general computing" or something like that. The guy was paying over 2000$ per year on cigs, and thats the amount of a very powerful computer. So he quit smoking and bought himself a nice computer and just buys himself a new laptop every year, knowing that he can afford those because he quit smoking.
Jun 29, 2012 11:43 PM

Feb 2011
I've been smoking for 4 years now and I tried to quit but it only last for 6 to 7 months. I'm not a chain smoker, I only smoke when i have problems because it lowers my anger and frustration.

When i'm angry or in a brink of exploding myself and I don't have a pack of cigarettes and I really want to smoke, I just inhale then exhale (helps me calm down).

Now i have a length of 8 non smoking months and aiming to go for a year! wish me luck everybody!
"When you have lemons, you make lemonade; and when you have rice, you make rice balls."

Jun 29, 2012 11:44 PM

Feb 2011
sciwhiz said:
I was never a smoker, but the best advice I've ever heard to quit was to give yourself a good incentive to do so, from a youtube video called "The war on general computing" or something like that. The guy was paying over 2000$ per year on cigs, and thats the amount of a very powerful computer. So he quit smoking and bought himself a nice computer and just buys himself a new laptop every year, knowing that he can afford those because he quit smoking.

That's a nice story. Life changing :)
"When you have lemons, you make lemonade; and when you have rice, you make rice balls."

Jun 29, 2012 11:50 PM

Dec 2011
sciwhiz said:

It's good that he's stopped, but he's still wasting a huge amount of money... a person doesn't need a new laptop every year. There's lots of more meaningful ways to spend 2k and say he's making a choice to not throw away his money into harming his body and supporting tobacco companies.. He could also just keep that money and put it with the rest of his funds instead of spending it just to spend it. (Unless he's wealthy already, then I guess it doesn't matter)

Anyway, Good for you OP, and good luck!
Jun 29, 2012 11:57 PM

Jan 2012
JonyJC said:
It's not that hard, just stop doing it, all the tricks in the world won't help you if you don't want to.

^And Your avatar picture is a smoker . The irony xD .
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
Jun 30, 2012 12:06 AM
Jun 2008
pendragonuzumaki said:

It's good that he's stopped, but he's still wasting a huge amount of money... a person doesn't need a new laptop every year. There's lots of more meaningful ways to spend 2k and say he's making a choice to not throw away his money into harming his body and supporting tobacco companies.. He could also just keep that money and put it with the rest of his funds instead of spending it just to spend it. (Unless he's wealthy already, then I guess it doesn't matter)

The point of it was the incentive. He could obviously dump that money into a retirement savings account, but there's no instant gratification. In the video, he said that he was warned by the doctor that he would develop lungs problems after the age of 40. Being a young guy, 40 years old is quite far away, and he won't have the incentive to quit until he actually gets close to that age, by the time which too much damage will have been done. Once again, the goal is not to save money or improve the health, but rather to forcefully divert that money into something else, so that you can reward yourself by not smoking.

Addictions are hard to break, and in the case of smoking, pretty much all the help is needed, considering all the people who tried to quit and failed.

video is this one for those interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg
Jun 30, 2012 12:11 AM

Apr 2011
every time i smoked my fiancee had to remind me of what video game i could have boughten that month it was annoying
Jun 30, 2012 12:56 AM

Jan 2012
i bet its hard, good thing i stay away from those.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jun 30, 2012 3:22 AM

Mar 2011
Smoking is a gigantuan money sinkhole. I never understood why people do it, but I'm glad to hear you are trying to quit.

For better or for worse, I'm pretty much stuck with my bad habit so I don't see myself becoming either an alcoholic or a smoker.
Jun 30, 2012 7:11 AM

Feb 2012
I'm 18 and I've been smoking since 15 I think...but I don't smoke too often. I smoke max. of 2 cigarettes per day and more only at some special event (which doesn't happen very often). A lot of people say to me 'It's a drug, you will feel the need to smoke more and more very soon etc.' but I'm okay. I perfectly manage to be without cigarettes for a month and then light up when I feel like I want to, just for the taste. :)
But of course, it's dangerous and for an addict it's also a big amount of money. So good luck with quitting :)
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jun 30, 2012 12:06 PM

Mar 2012
My Respects To Everyone Who's Posted Here... *Except The Guy Who Recommended Weed, That Doesn't Help.
Jun 30, 2012 1:07 PM

Aug 2009
GH0STSMILES said:

I tried several times to quite before I was finally successful several years ago. I used a combination of prayer and Icebreakers mint. Anytime I felt a craving for a cigarette I would pop a IceBreakers mint into my mouth and let is dissolve really slow and maybe even take a few deep breaths or air while the mint was dissolving in my mouth. Slowly this convinced my body that what I needed was mints and after two or three months I stopped taking the mints and haven't touched a smoke in years. I have tried the patches and I have just tried straight cold turkey.

The thing you have to remember is that smoking is both a physical and mental addiction.Its like your mind enjoys the physical sensation of the smoke going into your lungs and your lips puffing on the cigarette when your a smoker.So when you quit you have to temporarily replace those sensations.
Jun 30, 2012 2:57 PM

Jan 2011
I've never bought a pack in my life, if I want to smoke which is not often I just ask somebody of the streets even bums will give you cigs, they don't get too amused but who cares.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Say something you dislike about the person above you ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

marinara-sauce - Nov 7, 2020

258 by _--UwU--_ »»
1 minute ago

» First Thing That Comes To Mind v23 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - May 31

2239 by JusticeBastard »»
2 minutes ago

» Ask the person below you a question. v34 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 28

8218 by _--UwU--_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Quote a user out of context ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 13, 2022

795 by Wendoka »»
2 minutes ago

» Yes or No? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 6, 2022

7969 by Nicherix »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.