Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 27, 2008 1:35 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
HELLS YEAH. Awesome episode. So much crap going down, all the mecha and the White Base just blowing up. Char shooting the Zeon lady away. Amuro's emotional reunion at the end. Just greatness.

Only bad thing I can say is that it started to veer too much into Star Wars territory with too much 'Force' allusions, but unlike Lucas's shitty prequel trilogy, I dont have to put up with midichlorian bullshit in Gundam.

Great series.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 31, 2008 7:25 PM

Oct 2007
I agree it's epic

Jul 29, 2008 11:54 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, that was a truly epic finale. This whole series was so amazing, I watched it in just 3 sittings. Now I understand why Gundam is such a hugely popular franchise, all thanks to this spectacular classic.
Monkey_D_LuffyAug 18, 2008 3:14 PM

Aug 15, 2008 6:00 PM

Nov 2007
Great ending to a great series, now to get zeta!
Nov 21, 2008 8:18 PM

Aug 2008
I plan on seening this one and cant wait to add it =D
Jan 25, 2009 11:38 AM

Sep 2007
Awesome series is awesome. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to watch Zeta Gundam or 8th MS team next.
Aug 11, 2009 4:58 AM

Mar 2008
Great episode, although sometimes it felt like things were moving too fast..
Aug 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Nov 2007
Awesome ending! That headshot was... crazy
Sep 7, 2009 5:40 AM

Nov 2007
i hope zeonic corps subs zeta too. It was an exciting episode! i'll miss my daily dose of gundam. Looking forward to the next series.
Oct 2, 2009 4:39 PM

Jan 2009
BOOM HEADSHOT

Great ending, seeing the White Base go down was kinda sad to be honest. Really enjoyable series 7/10
Nov 27, 2009 11:46 PM

Oct 2009
Shit, it's been one hell of a ride. Excellent ending that did justice to an excellent series.
Feb 20, 2010 11:08 AM

May 2008
I got this... but I only see 42 episodes.. O.o
where is the 43rd?

*edit*

After reading around the net.. Apparently episode 15 wasn't aired in Japan nor the USA... it was only broadcast in China because the creator didn't like the episode. So the dub, etc.. really only contained 42 episodes with the original episode 15 being a Special.

However, here they don't have it listed as such. :/
KobyFeb 20, 2010 11:19 AM
Mar 1, 2010 8:52 PM

May 2009
I agree with everyone else, the ending was really great! Char's headshot was beautiful!
I loved all the newtype moments and cool action scenes in the last few episodes.

The anime really picked up speed and got much better the last fifteen episodes or so, after they reached Jaburo.

Now to rewatch all the OVAs and then move on to Zeta (probably ZZ) and Char's Counterattack.
stAtic91Mar 1, 2010 8:55 PM
Mar 4, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2007
Best. Headshot. Ever.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 18, 2010 10:08 AM
Oct 2008
Epic Headshot on lady Kassilia(typo?) also... does anyone wonder if Char lived? although it mostly seems he died... but we dont get to know how~
Mar 18, 2010 7:16 PM

May 2008
WhitzWolf said:
Epic Headshot on lady Kassilia(typo?) also... does anyone wonder if Char lived? although it mostly seems he died... but we dont get to know how~

Watch the next series. "Zeta Gundam"... it continues and you find out about Char's Fate.
Apr 3, 2010 4:03 AM

Apr 2009
Char's headshot was a "holy shit" moment for me. He is the fucking man.
It's crazy how Amuro is linked to everyone via his psychic powers.
Still don't like him that much though.

And great ending. I'm glad that I watched this show.
I can now see how this laid the foundation for almost every present day Gundam series.
Rating of an 8 for me. On to Zeta Gundam!
Jun 11, 2010 12:18 AM

Dec 2007
HOLY SHIT. Char shot off Kycillia's head with a bazooka! HOLY FUCKING SHIT, that's one of the most badass things I will ever see in my life!

Aside from Char reaching a seemingly inconceivable level of epicness, it was still an awesome episode. Seeing the Gundam get torn to pieces was pretty sad, actually. Always a shame to watch those marvelous suits fall apart.

I'm gonna catch the recap movies and the OVAs first (0080, 08th MS Team, 0083, MS Igloo), then I'll get started on Zeta.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2010 3:55 PM

May 2008
CCZilla said:
I'm gonna catch the recap movies and the OVAs first (0080, 08th MS Team, 0083, MS Igloo), then I'll get started on Zeta.

Most of them aren't that great... but 08th MS Team is awesome. One of the best Gundam related Animes out there. xD You should definitely check it out. I bought the box set for it. It comes with the movie Millers Report.
Jul 25, 2010 3:16 PM

Aug 2009
SWORD FIGHT!! <3<3<3

And just WOW, at that headshot. Char, you are made of awesome <3
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 30, 2010 7:44 AM

May 2008
Whoa, Char's just blown off Kychilia's head! It was the epicest headshot I have ever seen~ o_O
Amuro's floating to everyone was just so touching I almost teared up....

And a little review to everyone xD I guess everyone remember these:
Nov 10, 2010 9:34 AM

Aug 2009
Wow! That was amazing! I hope Char survived... But man that headshot! Sooo fucking epic!

On to Zeta now.. I have a loooong way to go..

PS - Char is magnificent!
Dec 11, 2010 5:01 AM
Apr 2010
I watched Char's head shot in slow mo a few times. It's just so...fucking sweet.
Dec 11, 2010 5:19 AM

Jan 2008
LOL @ slapfest screencap. You guys should obviously know by now which is my favourite...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 4, 2011 9:59 PM

Sep 2009
That was a pretty violent headshot for the 70s.

All in all a good ending.
They weren't to much of babies to destroy mecha back then.

I also enjoyed the moment where if it occurred in this day and age, female fans would be screaming about canon yaoi. That scene where Char and Amuro were impaled upon each other....ya. Brilliant.
Jan 5, 2011 6:01 AM
Sep 2007
Only dissapointment with this show was the "Newtype" thing and some of the Romance stuff. Almost gave it a 7/10 but the ending was good so 8/10.
Jun 21, 2011 1:49 PM

Nov 2010
I really enjoyed this series, I'm glad I watched it.

This series makes me want to watch some more gems of the 70s-80s era!
Jul 20, 2011 10:39 AM

May 2010
The first half was almost unbearable because it was so boring. A few irrelevant fillers, animation pretty much sucked but still tolerable, it picked up later in the series.

NewType was never explained.

5/10
ConfuciusJul 20, 2011 11:53 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 5, 2011 10:01 PM

Jun 2008
the psychic stuff aside, excellent ending
Jan 8, 2012 9:47 AM

Dec 2011
Most of them aren't that great... but 08th MS Team is awesome. One of the best Gundam related Animes out there. xD You should definitely check it out. I bought the box set for it. It comes with the movie Millers Report.

I watched the original series and the 08th MS team together; piecing the episodes from both series together like a puzzle is fun!
Feb 7, 2012 9:21 PM

Oct 2011
I basically only watched this because I didn't want to watch zeta first, but I give this 7.5/10, rounded up to 8. The whole megaupload/fileserve/filesonic fiasco got me off it for a while because no way I'm watching that crappy dub, so it was kinda hard to get back into it until a couple of episodes later, but I liked the last couple of episodes so it's all good. Can't wait to watch zeta gundam!!
Mar 28, 2012 7:29 AM
Nov 2010
What an awesome final episode! Wasn't expecting it to be this good.
And that headshot! It proved why Char is a legend.

Ok, so the first half was kind of boring (meh, it was ok) But the second half is the real thing! Lots of character development and very interesting plot (I still don't get the whole newtype thing though, I prefer when things are more 'realistic'(?) when it comes to mecha...oh well...Now Zeta!
8.5/10.
Apr 25, 2012 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
Great ending, really liked this anime, 6/10.
It's time to start watch everything Gundam related I guess.
May 23, 2012 4:54 PM
May 2011
Two things that will take deeper analysis to understand:

1. Char's sudden change of heart to leave Amuro alone and kill Kycilia instead
2. Amuro's sudden ability to communicate telepathically with the entire crew, and just how everything relates to Lalah for him.
Sep 10, 2012 7:34 AM

Sep 2010
Only watched this cause I wanted to see how it all started.

-animation wasn't really that good
- every episode except maybe a couple almost put me to sleep
- Couldn't get into Amuro's character; Char was decent, but I liked him more in Zeta personally
- Lots of derps and reused animation can't count how many times the enemy vessel was shot down from the same angle and exploded the same way.

4/10 I do give it props for giving birth to my personal favorite series like 00, SEED, Zeta, Victory, and AGE. ^_^
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 14, 2012 9:20 PM
Jul 2010
Chicken_Ramen said:
I watched Char's head shot in slow mo a few times. It's just so...fucking sweet.

Well, if you watched it in slow motion, you'd had noticed that it wasn't really a head-shot. It seems that Char did not hit her in the head, but in the neck and decapitated her:

Also, the explosion additionally dismembered her body:

The amount of detail is amazing. I believe the only reason why the headless gundam pose is more remembered than this scene is because you have to watch it in slow-motion in order to fully appreciate it.

Confucius said:

NewType was never explained.

Only if you skipped the last quarter of the series. Seriously, they even had discussions as to what the true nature of Newtypes are, with Char taking the most extremist position, claiming that they are not all-mighty, and that it's possible that they are merely pathetic human mutations spawned by the war:

Which is different than the position of his sister Sayla, who like Jimba Ral believes that Newtypes are the ideal that humanity should strive toward. Their father Lord Zeon also believed that, so he created the Republic of zeon believing that the future of mankind was to be reborn as Newtypes.

Seriously, how could you had missed that, Confucius? For somebody using the name of one of the greatest teachers and philosophers of human history, you surely do not pay enough attention to what you watch, do you?
Nov 28, 2012 2:04 PM

Apr 2010
VictimOfFate said:
Great ending, really liked this anime, 6/10.
It's time to start watch everything Gundam related I guess.

I agree, 6/10 for me too and I'll watch more Gundam sooner or later (Zeta for sure!).

My favorite pic from the final episode:

I really liked Char!
Dec 11, 2012 7:42 AM

Jul 2012
Great ending, great episode, great series.
Dec 27, 2012 9:02 PM

Jun 2009
Holy fuck what an ending! That fight scene between Amuro and Char was great, the gundam getting melted was sad as was the the Whitebases' fate. The best parts of the episode were definitely Char decapitating Kyselia and Amuro emotional return to Sayla and the others.

Great series all around. First of all it's one of the most influential anime series of all time that spawned a huge franchise and iconic characters like Amuro and Char. That is already a reason to give the series a high rating of a 7. But, the series was of high quality all around aside from some issues characterization and so, so drama. But, the idea of a Newtype is quite cool to me and these final episodes were phenomenal. Plus Amuro went through great development.

My complaints, aside from those I've already mentioned, are that the Zabi family wasn't fleshed out as well as they should have been. At the end of the day they were very one-dimensional. In fact, characters like Ramba Ral were much better characterized and showed different sides in comparison to the Zabi's. Personally, I would have liked more to the Whitebase members especially Hayato, who didn't get any focus characters like Mirai and Kai did.

Anyway, this is one of those series I'm very much glad I watched. It was flawed, yeah, but I still find it very much worthy of an 8/10.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 30, 2013 7:18 PM

Feb 2012
An explosive finale for sure.

A classic that exceeded my expectations in all areas!
Apr 25, 2013 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
Oh oh oh Char!<3 That headshot was beyond awesome. Randomly becoming a New Type makes people so good.

The series certainly could have done more with its theme about adaptation and "Hitler followers", and the characters after having their big episode sort of tapered off (like Kai and Bright stepping into more minor roles. :( ) Even so, I really enjoyed this show. I guess I have to watch all the Gundam stuff now.
May 20, 2013 7:15 AM

Oct 2009
Dat. Headshot.

Yeah awesome finale! A bit heavy on the Newtype powers but all was good, bit of a open ending but Zeta fills that in :D

So glad i finally got around to watching the original, the beginning of everything! Truly a classic masterpiece!

But it it did start out rather very boring, i had to put it on-hold for a bit, but so happy i decided to watch it through! 8/10
AozureMay 20, 2013 7:20 AM
Aug 5, 2013 1:53 AM

Jul 2013
Great way to end the series.

I was originally let down during the first half, as it was pretty boring. Although, as I think about it now, there was quite a bit of character development.

To see White Base form as a collective and rise to the top was great, as well as Amuro turning from a whiner to a real hero. No longer did anybody feel like they needed to slap him or shove him into solitary, but he was thought of as family.

7/10
Aug 26, 2013 11:00 PM

Nov 2012
Fanfuckingtastic, great ending, great episode. Char killing the last of the Zabi was great.
I'm going to miss the characters, and Sayla counting down(she sounds very cute when she does.)
Sep 6, 2013 7:56 PM

Dec 2011
emotional episode... but apologies to all Char maniacs - he is still a ruthless, apathetic jackass xD

Amuro still wins my eyeshot out of the entire series - can't deny it. His journey as a hardened hero - and a true empathic Newtype - is still the selling point of the entire show to me! :)
Sep 14, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2008
Oh wow, Char headshots Gundam and then blows Kychilia's head off of her shoulders. :O I actually liked her so it was bit sad to see her die. :(

This wad good anime. 8/10 points. So Gundam Zeta is next one in UC? Or should I watch those sidestories like 08th MS team?
Nov 23, 2013 9:28 AM
May 2013
Nope- said:
Char killing the last of the Zabi was great.

Gundam went from overpowered to weak.
After this lots of gundams awaits me .
Jan 7, 2014 8:31 PM

May 2008
Char blowing Kychilia's head off and parts of her body coming off after that was easily one of the best scenes in the entire anime! For the first time, Char was totally badass after all his wishy-washy-ness when it came to his role.

Great episode all around, but did Amuro get his Newtype abilities from Lalah? Or was it something that developed over all his battles like Bright and others speculated? How he got his abilities is one thing that didn't seem to get a good explanation especially when he started to really get them all of a sudden.

Overall, not too bad for the beginnings of a major franchise. The White Base characters were great even if not everyone got developed. The first half wasn't too bad but it got pretty boring until the last 15 episodes. Add the stupid, unnecessary, and sudden romances, undeveloped characters having too much of an impact *coughlalahcough*, and questionable deaths...

7/10. Only because the last 15 episodes picked up the slugging middle. And the slaps. That's one Gundam tradition they should of kept.
SakariiJan 7, 2014 8:54 PM
Jan 16, 2014 1:50 AM
Aug 2011
Holy crap that scene of Char Killing Kychilia was masterpiece in itself - and I hate calling things a masterpiece.
I was floored by it.

Amazing episode the only thing that irked me was that the bratty kids out of everyone there were the only ones to hear and help Amuro in the very end. Suddenly no one else can hear him...wow.

I'm agreeing with Sakarii's comment above mine.
Some parts in the middle of the series were really boring.
The random romances going on with Mirai, not to mention that Char/Lalah was also feeling forced.
This series you get kissed = you die.
Speaking of Lalah...she was quite important and yet her screentime always felt off.
I feel like everything about her could have been executed better.
The whole Newtype thing was mostly "eh" and about as badly handled as Lalah.

Lol'd when Char said his helmet protected him. Right "his helmet".
Come on, we all know his fabulous mask was what truly saved him.
standMar 26, 2014 3:04 AM
Feb 11, 2014 10:42 PM

Oct 2013
parfaited said:
Lol'd when Char said his helmet protected him. Right "his helmet".
Come on, we all know his fabulous mask was what truly saved him.

Um, he removed his mask before he fights Amuro.

Other than some flaws of the series such as those filler episodes and those crappy romance development (Newtype thing as well but it is supposed to be the important to plot, so yeah), this is definitely nice for starter of UC universe.

7/10. Also agree to keep bitchslap tradition.

On to OVAs first then to Zeta! After that, I need to research some more.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

72 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.