Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 10:23 AM

Jul 2017
We've already had last Fall's all-boys original show of Overtake! being in the F4 realm, and this "Tamiya"-ish all-girls original show with Studio A-CAT, it certainly has Fall 2019's Kandagawa Jet Girls feel to it, but plus a buttload of CGI...because they can.

The truly next-generation NEX Race involving the Hybrid Performance Exceed Reactor a.k.a HyPER, it gives the Osaka people the race they've been looking for with racetracks from all across Japan's real-life tracks which are involved from Formula E to F1, it's an upstage racing series built for the future, seeing current racers fight it out for the champion's title. Too bad that the product placements are quite the monstrosity, the anime itself just acts like you're watching the usual F1 race.

While there're the usual veterans winning the races, with Falk Ogura bowing out of the NEX Race being behind both Salvatore and Alice Summerwood as King and Queens of the race, the new racers are putting in their effort, and one of them is Rin Rindo, who wanted to be a ballet dancer, but for circumstances, she's participating in the NEX Race, and this is a new experience for her with her car ami.

Nana Mizuki's OP is disgustingly good, but this is Studio A-CAT lols, so the quality is questionable.
KANLen09Apr 6, 4:53 AM
Apr 5, 10:27 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty decent start. Strong Kandagawa Jet Girls vibes.
Apr 5, 11:04 AM
Jul 2023
I’ll put it on decent for now, there’s certainly a charm to it, let see where this go.
Apr 5, 11:07 AM

Apr 2010
The last time i saw a anime that involved racing it was really mediocre mainly because of generic characters.
Here however we barely got anything about the characters at all they only focused on a few so far which is a good thing focusing on to many will just create generic characters.
As for the racing it didn't do it for me, to zooming sound of the cars is kinda boring and the overdid it a bit with the cars.

While hopefully next time we get some character focus.
Apr 5, 11:12 AM
Sep 2015
Osaka Expo 2025 + 5 years after that = 2030. And what's the point of having self-driving cars in the race... isn't having driver assistance in each racecar already safe enough? There are so many questionable elements that doesn't seem reasonable with me but some how I think this will be the future of racing sports, but definitely not as soon as 2030, more like 2050 of later.

With all those big name sponsors, I kinda expect a higher budget than this, though this is definitely not as bad as Ex-Arm or Tesla Note.

There are more girls than I expect. And most girls are on the younger side while male drivers are on the older side. Where's my young boy driver? I haven't had enough from Overtake!
Apr 5, 11:39 AM

Jan 2009
not bad start lets see how rin wins
Apr 5, 11:41 AM

Mar 2021
As Fan of Motorsport I really enjoyed this i Especially love the looks of these futuristic cars. Really hope this series is good.
Apr 5, 12:23 PM

Nov 2023
Decent episode one.

Let's see how the story goes from here.
PinoffinApr 5, 9:10 PM
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Apr 5, 1:03 PM

Feb 2007
Nice start. Hopefully it'll stay a racing series throughout, unlike the last time a ballerina took to motorsports...

And good to see Wixoss still doing well enough in the future to sponsor the so far ultimate driver in the series. :P

Also, nice idols you have there, totally not Megurine Luka and that other Vocaloid.
Apr 5, 1:23 PM

Jun 2012
First episode was ok, but..having so many sponsors worry me, so many shots had product placements...
Apr 5, 1:26 PM
Feb 2021
Honestly, the animation style/CGI doesn't bother as much as I thought it would, still nothing crazy of course, but definitely a little better than I thought. I like the look of the cars as well.
Apr 5, 1:40 PM
Nov 2010
Expect something like cyber formula
But got meh.
Apr 5, 2:20 PM

Apr 2015
Well this looks fun atleast.
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

Oct 2012
Reminds me of F-Zero but with more girls. Seems decent but we really didn't get to know the MC. Curious where this is going and what it can do to keep it from being to samey.
Apr 5, 2:45 PM
May 2016
Great introduction of anime characters!
Apr 5, 3:40 PM
Aug 2015
Not bad, but holy hell were the races boring. It's like they never try to instill emotions to the races at all and it comes of very flat. I expected a corner battle just to being greeted by a 2 second corner scene.
Apr 5, 3:49 PM

Jul 2011
See so many brands makes me remember of Tiger&Bunny. Which makes me remember of many of them pulling out the sponsorship.

Must be nice be in those crews, you just need to watch the race, or maybe nap. And at the end look busy looking at the car for some damage. Pitstop crew lost their jobs in the future.
Apr 5, 4:05 PM
Aug 2021
I try to give new series a chance; however, there is only so much to take of so little.

Pros: Visually not entirely terrible. The concepts seem interesting.

Cons: Lifeless. If there could be one way to put this first episode is that it lacks everything needed to hook an audience.

Half of the episode is watching a race with dull commentary as though the voice actress was just handed the script & told to read it without a clue of what she is actually watching. (No offense to the actress. It was the material.)

This is all pushed ahead before even getting to the main character who does not appear until 19:30 of the episode's time & we still know nothing of her by the end of the episode. There is a flash shot of her doing ballet & some trembling, but it's too little too late. If she had been shown more, like (spitting balling ideas), show her having a futuristic cast on her leg that allows her to walk but limits how much she can move & then one day goes to the racetrack, watches a race, becomes jealous of the cars being able to move almost as though they're dancing, have a sponsor who recognizes the young former ballerina who lost out in her prime, and then offers her to choice the circuit. Something like that. Anything to get the audience invested in the character to invest in the sport. It's the same with Haikyuu, Free!, Tsurune, Megalo Box, even Angelic Layer (I'm showing off my "love of sports"; not a big sports watcher even in animated form), if the main character does not draw the audience in, there is nothing to root for. It's basic in real-life sports: fans attach to a team for a reason.

Wow. That was longer than I expected to go. Why do I type more than I talk?

Personally, I'm not trying to be a person on the internet hating on stuff, but I try to criticize in a way where, if it were me making this, I'd tear myself to shreds. I could be vicious & accuse this of being created by AI, but I have no facts to back that claim up.
Apr 5, 4:06 PM

Apr 2014
How did they manage to make the racing even more boring than in MF Ghost?

While I'm happy seeing three racing anime in such a short time, it's sad that two of those are utter garbage.
Apr 5, 5:06 PM

Mar 2024
Just about as exciting as real F1. Just that you barely even get to know the characters taking part in this amazing race this time.
The CG does it no favors, but even if it was actually drawn it would still be rather lacking.
Apr 5, 6:03 PM

Mar 2013
The CGI is frighteningly creepy.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 5, 6:08 PM

Nov 2010
  • How come they warm the road 35 Celsius degree? High road temperature decrease the grip of tires..
  • It's been a long time to see Gundam's Trans-Am system.
Apr 5, 6:35 PM

Sep 2021
Reply to phantomfandom
Osaka Expo 2025 + 5 years after that = 2030. And what's the point of having self-driving cars in the race... isn't having driver assistance in each racecar already safe enough? There are so many questionable elements that doesn't seem reasonable with me but some how I think this will be the future of racing sports, but definitely not as soon as 2030, more like 2050 of later.

With all those big name sponsors, I kinda expect a higher budget than this, though this is definitely not as bad as Ex-Arm or Tesla Note.

There are more girls than I expect. And most girls are on the younger side while male drivers are on the older side. Where's my young boy driver? I haven't had enough from Overtake!
I assume the self driving team are mostly those company who main venture is developing self-driving car for sale.
Like imagine, if your self-driving cars are safe enough and good for racing then your brand is the top choice on the self-driving car market.

But as you can see in this episode, even the self driving car have their flaw and could crash and they really nerf the AI by slowing them down on the safe distance when they're behind other cars and could only overtake when there's enough space on their racing line.
Apr 5, 6:39 PM
Aug 2021
I've got hope for this one so let's see how it goes.
Apr 5, 7:34 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to kuroneko99
  • How come they warm the road 35 Celsius degree? High road temperature decrease the grip of tires..
  • It's been a long time to see Gundam's Trans-Am system.
@kuroneko99
i'm no expert but seeing how it was already snowing at -3 heating up the track would at least give them wiggle room for a 50 lap race of temps dropping and a quick google says hot temps don't always mean less grip , isn't that why drag racers heat up their tires?

seems some racers can have tracks easily get over 100 degrees

anyways i felt like i was fed a lie i knew the cars would be CGI which was fine but i didn't know everyone else would be and while im happy for more racing anime this wasn't that exciting for a fake F1 gacha like anime also the ADs everywhere!

this is dropped for now unless i need something to watch didn't hate it but i don't love watching it
if they could reach uma levels of hype i would be sold more but that would mean i'd need to care about the racers
Apr 5, 8:02 PM

Nov 2018
Super dull, bad CG...only good thing was the end card. Dropped
Apr 5, 9:39 PM
Jan 2021
I didn't expect some realistic racing in this anime, and boy do I get that wrong. It's more realistic than I expected in term of racing, of course it's not Overtake! level realism, but still good
Apr 5, 11:11 PM
Mar 2014
so far is good to continue
the hyper drive really remind me of GPX Cyber Formula, maybe I'll rewatch it in some time
Apr 6, 2:46 AM

Mar 2014
what's this crap? no character development at all and the cheap 3d race was not thrilling either
Apr 6, 4:14 AM

Sep 2016
Why can't it be actual cute girls doing racing? racing is such a borefest when they treat it seriously like this with their own michael schumacer
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 6, 8:07 AM
May 2016
That was awful, here's our futuristic cars, that are just like normal modern cars, also CG sucks as usual. Also 90% of it was horrible commentary while the cars just went around the track, I could barely stay awake.
Apr 6, 1:40 PM
Feb 2016
original comment deleted
eroc1990Apr 6, 1:45 PM
Apr 6, 1:43 PM

Jun 2020
There were parts that I questioned a lot especially about cars being next generation but not having to much difference from car that we have now in motorsports especially about self driving part was questionable.

Other than that I dont understand why they shop the pit stop for that long the pit stop is very important for time it’s not a place for chatting and relaxing doing everything pretty similar but this part liter Of opposite of reality is doesn’t make sense to me.

The race looks nice but of course it’s needs more action and actually this anime needs facial expressions it’s very important to see how the driver feels
Apr 6, 1:44 PM

Jun 2013
So it's all in CG not just the cars hmmm
Apr 6, 9:17 PM

Nov 2023
It was alright, although boring at the same time.
Apr 6, 10:59 PM

Oct 2010
Female commentator is also an AI. What a level of excitement we got from her! This was a joke. Ha-ha.

Well. Seriously. When I saw Yostar logo I've got it all. There will be no show, just long CM for the game.
Apr 7, 12:45 AM
Apr 2024
was hoping this would be good but the cg is horrible...

also feels kinda bland...

produced by yostar, hopefully they dont mess up the blue archive anime...
Apr 7, 5:28 AM

Aug 2013
Seems pretty okay so far.

They kinda overdid the king/queen stuff which ruined any potential balance of the actual MC being introduced with a potential relevant backstory or setting though.
Apr 7, 5:29 AM

Apr 2021
The human characters feel a little weird imo, but the car designs are cool
Apr 7, 9:29 AM

Jul 2020
Was ok so far I geuss, can't really give a good opinion on the story yet since this episode was basicly all racing.

The character animation looks cheap but it's passable.

The car animations also weren't great. Is it just me or was there absolutely no feeling of speed there?

Probably still gonna keep watching since I'm a racing fan tho and wanne see where this is gonna go.

Also there we're Yostar logos???? I geuss they are sponsering animes now lol

Apr 7, 10:10 AM

Aug 2023
In my opinion, I thought this was a pretty good first episode. Kept me engaged and it explained some further details on racing. I’m liking the MC so far, she is looking really cool and I hope she becomes super OP. I have faith in this show and am excited for the next episode!
Apr 7, 10:10 AM

Nov 2013
i mean, we got a full episode dedicated to one race, we got a few names here and there, and we barely saw anything from the main girls of the show lol

i like how they made all those cool AI dances and stuff

at the end they showed a picture of everyone, and the girl on the left looks exactly like the girl from mahjong soul, how interesting, is this a collab? or maybe the illustrator is a big fan lol

edit: yeah it was a collab, there's also AzurLane Enterprise lol
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/7424294

overall the 1st episode was kinda "boring" but i'll probably watch another episode before deciding

winddevil1Apr 7, 10:24 AM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Apr 7, 11:58 AM

Jan 2017
AdBlock: The Animation!

They will probably announce a gacha game based on this IP on the last episode or even before.
Apr 7, 1:08 PM
Oct 2020
dezhavhu said:
Not bad, but holy hell were the races boring. It's like they never try to instill emotions to the races at all and it comes of very flat. I expected a corner battle just to being greeted by a 2 second corner scene.

Someone gonna tell him about F1s current state?
Apr 7, 2:07 PM
Nov 2019
They will have to have some amazing character stories after managing to make the race such a boring event.
Apr 7, 5:56 PM

Sep 2021
A slow start, but not in a bad way. It did a good job establishing the world of NEX racing and got some interesting options for plot strings. Hard to tell where this is going. I wish they had shown the faces of the drivers more.

Seems after the veterans the newbies are up next.

Also, full CGI. It doesn't look beautiful like Trigun Stampede, but I prefer this over 2D/CGI splits. Because this way nothing will look completly awful, like the concerts in KamiKazu Idol.
Apr 7, 9:09 PM
Apr 2023
so hard to watch its just so wrong stiff animation background chars with no features what so ever it hits all kinds of anime sins oh yea and for some reason hals the time it flips the races upside down for no reason
Apr 8, 6:45 PM

Nov 2011
@Dudi4PoLFr actually, there's already a gacha racing game called drift spirits. i would not be surprised if they added some of the cars from the anime as event cars, just like they did with idolmaster.

OT: this felt more like a prologue than a 1st episode. the CG animation could have been better.
on a side note, i'm surprised VR Chat is among the sponsors for the anime (did they ever sponsor an anime before?). this also might be the anime with the most sponsors. I count no less than 34 companies from different industries supporting the anime. of course, Toyota and Honda being the biggest sponsors.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 10, 5:19 PM
Jun 2017
They somehow made F-Zero boring. How can a race that supposed to be at 500 KPH be so boring and tedious? I can't find a single redeeming quality in this to justify a second episode.
Just hard pass on this...
Apr 11, 1:17 AM
Mar 2012
slick car designs. CG characters good, but mostly stiff animation & dead eyes.
race theme maybe not for me, some focus on king & queen but otherwise boring long match with too many unknown racers. even spotting ads were more fun, Honda, Wacom, Yostar, GSC, wixoss & king records.
short screentime but Rin maybe interesting.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 21

21 by Otakupervert890 »»
Aug 26, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 10 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 7

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 28, 12:32 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 11 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 14

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 28, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 8 Discussion

Aversa - May 24

11 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 27, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 7 Discussion

Aversa - May 17

16 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 27, 11:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.