Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else prefer to binge watch anime than watch them weekly.

New
Feb 10, 9:03 PM
Nov 2023
Unpopular opinion, but I prefer to binge watch already aired stuff instead of watching seasonals. Seasonals can be boring since I may want more but I have to wait for some time for the next episode to air. Binging also leads to me finding a lot of underrated gems too. Anyone else prefer this way of watching anime or is it just me?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 9:07 PM

Dec 2014
I always do a mix of both. Watch weekly and also binge watch
Feb 10, 9:14 PM

Oct 2018
8 billion people on earth and you're the only one, bro.

Watching weekly works better for me now.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 10, 9:15 PM
Oct 2019
In the decade since I been watching anime(started seriously in 2012) did both and at the end I always go back to binge because it allows more freedom of movement as with watching weekly after a while it started feeling like a chore and I didn't like that not for a hobby.
Feb 10, 9:20 PM
Feb 2022
To be honest yeah I prefer to binge, mostly because I hate being left on cliffhangers.. People who watch weekly are strong soldiers, especially while watching plot-heavy anime
Feb 10, 9:20 PM

Apr 2010
I mean, it depends.
If it's, say, a plot-driven mystery, I enjoy it much more when viewed in one sitting.
Alternatively, if it's a CGDCT, a romcom, or a gag show, I see virtually no difference whether I'm watching it once a week or all in one evening.

Also just throwing it out there, but I don't think yours is in any way an unpopular opinion, at least with a large enough sample size.
Feb 10, 9:32 PM

Mar 2023
I've always preferred watching it weekly as if I binge watch anime I end up staying up late instead of going to bed. I also like the suspense you can get when it's weekly, like for example if a character was in a dangerous situation you wouldn't know what would happen to them until next week, I think this is nice as it makes for good discussion with friends on what might happen to the character.
Feb 10, 9:32 PM

Aug 2016
While binge watching is ideal situtation for media consumption, theres anime that I would have simply dropped if I had to bingewatch
:v
Feb 10, 9:34 PM

Sep 2022
I prefer to watch weekly. I like the excitement of cliffhangers and getting small doses of a show weekly over a course of a few months.
Feb 10, 11:31 PM

Feb 2020
I always do both. I binge older anime and watch weekly shows.
Feb 10, 11:38 PM

Apr 2023
An anime fan binge-watching? Whaaaaat? :O

If anything I think it would be weird if you didn't do that at all. A number of my normie friends stereotype weebs as sitting in their room all day, watching show after show non-stop. Which of course isn't to say it's true all the time, but the stereotype had to come from somewhere.

I prefer to watch in segments, myself. It's fun to stay on the edge of your seat not knowing what will happen next week, and having that time to think about what you watched and postulate. A number of times I've meditated on a plot and come to certain realizations I doubt would've been reached, had I simply sat and binged the whole thing without break.
Feb 10, 11:45 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Weekly watching is torture. I really don't understand how people can do it, especially with shows that have cliffhangers.
Feb 10, 11:46 PM

Jul 2021
^weakling

i too do both. binge old shows and watch new animes weekly.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 11, 1:10 AM

Aug 2017
I prefer to watch daily..... or monthly
Feb 11, 1:23 AM

Mar 2021
Mattenan said:
Anyone else prefer to binge watch anime than watch them weekly.

It's a lot more satisfying to have the luxury to actually binge watch seasonal Anime. If I can I will try my best to wait till a series ends till I get down to watch it. But sometimes If I am curious about a new series I will catch the 1st episode of it just to see what it's all about. Then If I like it I will usually wait till it finishes airing to try to binge the entire season.
Feb 11, 1:30 AM

Nov 2019
I've been doing that for ages. I forget the plot/ characters when going weekly
Feb 11, 1:32 AM

Mar 2023
Binge watching is the best way to get the full experience of a show.
Feb 11, 1:33 AM

Jan 2021
Yeah I like binge watching too. I like to be the one in charge of the pacing. Not of the show, but the amount that I watch.
I do watch seasonal sometimes just to create a sort of variety to keep me interested.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 11, 1:37 AM

Nov 2020
Recently I can't find an anime that would make me want to watch all the episodes in one go, so I find it much more enjoyable to watch seasonal anime where I have to wait a week for an episode, weekly discussions about the episode, theories about what will happen next and so on are also nice.
Feb 11, 2:07 AM

Feb 2018
"Am I the only one that wants to watch everything at once and not wait 7 days for the next episode!?!?"

How do people come to these conclusions lol.
Feb 11, 2:07 AM

May 2021
I like to binge most of the times. However if its some slice of life show, then I prefer weekly because there is no way I can binge those. Its too boring.
Feb 11, 2:10 AM

Aug 2013
I almost never binge anything. I prefer watching weekly. Many series are designed to watch weekly anyway. And even if I'm watching older series, I usually don't watch more than 2 episodes per day, even if I watch something outstanding.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 11, 2:24 AM

Jul 2021
I used to binge-watch a lot, but at one point, I found myself unable to watch two or more episodes of the same show before getting bored. I feel like I enjoy certain shows more if I don't binge-watch them, like slice of life, comedy, or dialogue-heavy stuff. I've been watching seasonal anime more seriously for two years, and I quite enjoy it. I don't mind waiting 7 days for the next episode; it's not like all I do every day is watch anime. In fact, having something to look forward to makes my week go easier. I have more motivation to get my studying done when I remember that on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I can watch Dungeon Meshi, Frieren, and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto.
Feb 11, 2:27 AM

Aug 2020
It depends on the story. If it's slower I don't mind watching weekly.

Feb 11, 2:29 AM

Aug 2020
And by the way the "Am I the only one" threads are funny.

Feb 11, 2:35 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to KitsuFrost
And by the way the "Am I the only one" threads are funny.
@KitsuFrost "Am I the only one" , "Is it worth watching", "When does it get good", "X is Mid", what did I miss?
Feb 11, 2:40 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to renz330
@KitsuFrost "Am I the only one" , "Is it worth watching", "When does it get good", "X is Mid", what did I miss?
@renz330 You forgot the classic "Why is X number one?". It's a cycle.

Feb 11, 11:55 AM

Sep 2007
I do a mix of both binge and daily watching, so I don't fall too behind and still be somewhat up-to-date.
Feb 11, 12:09 PM
Oct 2014
I don't mind watching something weekly but I hate being forced to this. Thats why I wait until show ends and then watch with pace I like.
Feb 11, 12:10 PM
Nov 2015
sometimes there's a slice of life anime that I probably wouldn't watch if I didn't watch it weekly so I prefer that and sometimes I'll wait couple of weeks to watch a few episodes in one sitting (especially if I love the anime so that I could watch more than one episode at once)
Feb 11, 12:36 PM

May 2023
Daily is the way to go. Taking it slow, but not too slow, allows me to remember all the details long term.
Feb 12, 11:54 AM

Aug 2020
Depends on anime. Some anime I can wait a week, but for the majority I like binging at my own pace. There is just too much hype and expecations created from watching weekly, and I don't like forcing myself to watch it for those reasons. Also some anime are just too good to wait an entire week.
Feb 12, 7:24 PM

May 2023
Well, depends on the anime.. for example, Ragna Crimson, Mato Seihei no Slave and couple of others, I am gonna binge watch these.. But Mashle, Synduality : Noir part 2 I am gonna watch during airing period..
Feb 12, 7:46 PM

Jan 2021
I do both, but this year I'm trying to keep weeklies down to maybe 4-5 per season, just because I'd get overwhelmed with real life stuff and trying to stay caught up, and I could never get to other stuff.

The only downside to binging for me is the way I do it. I take breaks between chunks of episodes if it's a long anime, and sometimes I'll take forever to start another season of something, and I'll find myself not wanting to finish it.

Feb 12, 8:41 PM

Dec 2021
It depends on the series. With something like Mushishi, which is mostly episodic and has satisfying closure per episode, weekly watching is fine. Plenty of non-episodic series also have solid closure within most episodes. Certain series have insane cliffhangers or are setup in a way that is practically meant to be binged or you will be frustrated. I feel like shonen with multiple episode battles amongst several characters tends to be the worst in this respect. Watching DBZ one ep per week years ago was a terribly frustrating experience. I'll watch most series weekly if it's a seasonal, but sometimes I'll let the episodes accumulate and binge them if it's too frustrating to watch every week. Some series are better watched sparingly, though.
Feb 12, 8:45 PM

Aug 2012
I usually do both. I like binging stuff, but the anticipation of watching weekly is nice too. I usually bing a few older series and then pick about 4 or 5 weeklies.
Feb 12, 8:52 PM

Jan 2020
In case I missed some good anime from the previous season, binge watch is the only way out. If not, I will stick to watching weekly.

Feb 12, 9:37 PM

Sep 2012
If I have to choose, I prefer to binge-watch, but watching seasonal anime allows me to discover series that I probably wouldn't watch on my own, telling myself that if I don't really like them, it's just 1 episode a week. (I usually only binge watch Slice of Life anime.)

Sometimes I suffer through 1 episode a week like with Ishura and Metallic Rouge then sometime I find new anime I like I would probably never start if not for the 1 ep per week like Sasaki to Pii-chan, Undead Unluck and Frieren. I gave them a chance and I dont regret it :)
Feb 13, 7:57 AM
May 2012
I binge watch. Frieren is one of the very few anime I've watched weekly.
Feb 13, 8:27 AM

Sep 2020
I can't even binge-watch anime anymore. After like 4 episodes, I'm done for the day lol.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 13, 8:34 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to Phosphophyllita
8 billion people on earth and you're the only one, bro.

Watching weekly works better for me now.
@Phosphophyllita 8 billion people on earth and you generalized their opinions as yours, bro.
In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least, it is true that man has no control, even over his own will.
Feb 13, 11:48 AM
Dec 2020
been binge watching anime ever since i started watching it. and it's still the best way to watch anime for me
Feb 13, 12:30 PM

Jan 2023
I do both, binge older shows (and seasonals/new shows if needed) and watch weekly with seasonals.
Feb 14, 12:28 AM

Jan 2023
I do both.
There is good sides and bad sides to both honestly.

Binge watching is great in the sense that you don't have to wait, but it also has its charm to wait every week for a series that you like and go through all these weekly cliffhangers and their payoffs :)
Feb 14, 1:46 AM

Nov 2020
I do both but I pick what types of series it is before deciding. Like anime with mystery or non stop fighting shonens I prefer binging them. But if its a SoL or RomCom I'm happier watching them weekly
Feb 14, 3:53 AM

Nov 2023
I usually watch already aired shows.
Feb 14, 4:33 AM
Jul 2021
Same. Seasonals feel like a chore imo and there's a really high chance that new anime will get fed up in the last episodes
Feb 14, 4:40 AM

Feb 2019
honestly instead of binge watching or watching it weekly I like watching whatever anime I feel like watching at any given moment.
Feb 14, 7:36 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i PREFER binging, especially knowing im watching the BD version of an anime... BUT i like to watch things while theyre still hype, so i watch seasonally and binge something here and there
Feb 14, 7:57 AM

Jan 2009
i want to be part of the hype plus i got weak attention span so 1 episode per week is good
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Most Overrated Shonen Anime/Manga ( 1 2 )

Kuchiki_Johnny - Oct 8, 2023

72 by JoeChip »»
5 minutes ago

» Most unexpected cameo

JoeChip - 11 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » I'm just better- The anime [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - 7 minutes ago

0 by TsutanaiFuun »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - Yesterday

40 by alshu »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

35 by Kenzolo-folk »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.