Forum Settings
Forums

I made a list of anime people should watch, and rewatch, instead of trash that is being made nowadays.

New
Apr 10, 2023 12:43 AM
Apr 2023
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
LOGH
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobike Suit: Char's Counterattack
The Twelve Kingdoms
Utena
Ghost in the Shell
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2023 1:08 AM

Oct 2010
Monster - boring, shouldn't be watched more than one time, nina is hot though
Cowboy Bebop - boring
LOGH - boring and illogical tactics and nonsensical world setting with hundreds of plot holes
Neon Genesis Evangelion - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - asuka tits can be seen without having to watch the whole movie
Ergo Proxy - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Haibane Renmei - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Serial Experiments Lain - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobile Suit Gundam - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobike Suit: Char's Counterattack - shouldn't be watched more than one time
The Twelve Kingdoms - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Utena - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Ghost in the Shell - shouldn't be watched more than one time

make a better list
Apr 10, 2023 1:12 AM

Jul 2021
I started watching more than half of those, and didn't really like a single one of them.

Only gave Monster a 6/10 because best girl Eva was very entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
Apr 10, 2023 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
Monster - haven't watched it, sounds boring
Cowboy Bebop - watched it, was okay
LOGH - haven't watched it, sounds like a sausage fest
Neon Genesis Evangelion - watched it a long time ago, was good
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - haven't watched it, kinda lost interest in NGE
Ergo Proxy - haven't watched it, not my genre
Haibane Renmei - never even heard of it, sounds boring though
Serial Experiments Lain - haven't watched it, not my genre
Mobile Suit Gundam - haven't watched it, not my genre
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - haven't watched it, not my genre
Mobike Suit: Char's Counterattack - haven't watched it, not my genre
The Twelve Kingdoms - haven't watched it, might actually be worth watching
Utena - haven't watched it, not my genre
Ghost in the Shell - watched it, was good

Three gundam shows on a "must watch" list seems quite unnecessary.
Apr 10, 2023 1:32 AM

Dec 2008
Well… you can take your list and shove it up your azz. The duck is that?
Apr 10, 2023 1:33 AM

Feb 2020
That's a nice elitist starter pack.
Apr 10, 2023 1:34 AM

Feb 2020
Nice list but you forgot Ro-Kyu-Bu.
Apr 10, 2023 1:45 AM

Aug 2020
"Joined Apr 9, 2023"

Catalano said:
LOGH - boring and illogical tactics and nonsensical world setting with hundreds of plot holes
mind sharing a bit more? Bcoz i too found the battle tactics nonsensical and also didn't buy the part where
Apr 10, 2023 1:50 AM

Nov 2019
galaxy_oceanus said:
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
LOGH
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
The Twelve Kingdoms
Utena
Ghost in the Shell

Lol, the list consists of mostly craps. Should have tried better, mate.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 10, 2023 1:53 AM

Nov 2019
TRC_Randy said:
"Joined Apr 9, 2023"

It has something to do with the star systems that have yet been colonised or is uncolonisable, which means there is no source of supply or support once you travel through there. Space is vast, you know.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Aug 2020
SgtBateMan said:
TRC_Randy said:
"Joined Apr 9, 2023"

It has something to do with the star systems that have yet been colonised or is uncolonisable, which means there is no source of supply or support once you travel through there. Space is vast, you know.
yeah i know that but the show just went complete silence about it that's the problem.
Apr 10, 2023 2:00 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I'm afraid nearly everything on that list is absolutely dog shit and nothing more than a nostalgia bias.
Apr 10, 2023 2:07 AM

Nov 2019
TRC_Randy said:
SgtBateMan said:

yeah i know that but the show just went complete silence about it that's the problem.

It's considered basic knowledge after hundred years of expansion, so I guess there's no need for the characters pointing it out, and judging from the maps they used, there is no traveling route across that vast area of space written.

Apr 10, 2023 2:09 AM

Dec 2013
Monster - I've watched Death Note, I'll watch this to.

Cowboy Bebop - I've watched Samurai Champloo, but maybe someday.

LOGH - Log Horizon?, if it is, I've seen it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - I will watch all of it.

Ergo Proxy - haven't seen it, don't know if I will.

Haibane Renmei - seen it, loved it.

Serial Experiments Lain - eventually.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Gundam is an acquired taste, but I'm not ignorant, so maybe someday.

The Twelve Kingdoms - seen it, loved it.

Utena - eventually.

Ghost in the Shell I've seen only the 2D TV series of it, no movie, or 3D content.
Apr 10, 2023 2:13 AM

Nov 2021
Bro's snorting that good good to make a list so mid.
Apr 10, 2023 2:14 AM

May 2018
Monster - interesting, but told through a series of horrible fake suspense/cliffhanger scenes. Also the focus always jumps to the least interesting plot thread the minute the current one becomes fun.
Cowboy Bebop - duh, but after so many rewatches I kind of became numbed to it.
LOGH - I think that the Die Neue These reboot is more beginner friendly, also quite good, but veterans keep trashing it for no reason.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - naaah, it's pretentious and annoyingly melodramatic.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - see above.
Ergo Proxy - pretentious and boring.
Haibane Renmei - no idea, but its fans are unable to explain what's so good about it.
Serial Experiments Lain - no idea. but looks kind of boring and preachy.
Mobile Suit Gundam - I would recommend the compilation movies, also I would never recommend it to newcomers.
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - it's quite absurd and crazy, definitely not for newcomers.
Mobike Suit: Char's Counterattack - it's a good movie, but you need context from the previous UC titles.
The Twelve Kingdoms - no idea, but looks sus and melodramatic.
Utena - Kunihiko Ikuhara is a pervert and a psychopath. All his original projects should be banned.
Ghost in the Shell - better start with Ghost In The Shell SAC and only than check out the movies.
alshuApr 10, 2023 2:18 AM
Apr 10, 2023 2:18 AM

Jun 2012
I've only watched three of those and they all basically gave me an existential crisis, so I'm not rewatching them.
"The f**ker who goes round beating people to a pulp. He thinks it'll never happen to himself. But there's gonna be a day when the f**ker gets f**king beaten to a pulp too. But that day's f**king today and the guy doing the beating is a f**king c**t." - Sang-hoon, Breathless (2009)
Apr 10, 2023 2:23 AM

Aug 2022
Catalano said:
Monster - boring, shouldn't be watched more than one time, nina is hot though
Cowboy Bebop - boring
Neon Genesis Evangelion - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - asuka tits can be seen without having to watch the whole movie
Ergo Proxy - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Haibane Renmei - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Serial Experiments Lain - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobile Suit Gundam - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Mobike Suit: Char's Counterattack - shouldn't be watched more than one time
The Twelve Kingdoms - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Utena - shouldn't be watched more than one time
Ghost in the Shell - shouldn't be watched more than one time

make a better list
this is what happens when you eat too much mcdonalds, it fucks your tastes up till you can no longer appreciate jamon iberico de bellota. sad, I pity you.
Apr 10, 2023 2:25 AM

Aug 2022
man, the responses here are truly sad.
Apr 10, 2023 2:28 AM

Feb 2018
JaniSIr said:
I started watching more than half of those, and didn't really like a single one of them.

Only gave Monster a 6/10 because best girl Eva was very entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
I think it was for the right reasons. Eva was the most interesting thing going on in Monster. So much of the story is just "Tenma goes to new area, meet new character, show off doctor skills, new character either dies or you just plain never see them again, exposition on Johan". Rinse and repeat.

I feel like Monster gets overhyped a lot because its a unique story...for anime/manga. It's certainly not a bad story, but its definitely not the masterpiece people make it out to be. Maybe since its "deeper" to most people than just another shonen, isekai, ecchi series it gets more love. I think its dumb to praise something just because its different. I'd give Monster a 7/10, so not as harsh as you, but I definitely understand why some people don't like it.
Apr 10, 2023 2:29 AM

Jan 2020
struggler_sensei said:
man, the responses here are truly sad.

Despite people just saying "shouldn't be watched more than one time" without giving any explanation, I can kinda see where they are coming from.
Just because something is "old" it doesn't mean it's good. OP "casually" just recommended old anime with a large fanbases known for being always bitching about new products.
Apr 10, 2023 2:30 AM

Jan 2021
galaxy_oceanus said:
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
LOGH
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
The Twelve Kingdoms
Utena
Ghost in the Shell

I've watched Monster, fantastic show

Ergo Proxy, again great show

NGE and End of Evangelion, watched both not my favourite mecha but the movie awesome.

LOGH, I've been watching Die Neue Thesis it was one of the first anime I started watching with my brother.

I've watched MGS, both the series and the trilogy and watched Chars Counter Attack and I'm watching Zeta Gundam. I've watched a fair bit of Gundam now.

I've not watched Cowboy yet, in half way but stopped a while back so I'll likely restart. I've seen Trigun and Samurai Champloo.

Rest I haven't seen.

I also add Madoka Magica, Parasyte, Gurren Lagann, Psycho Pass Berserk, Fate/Zero to the list as well. Those are some other really good shows.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Apr 10, 2023 2:33 AM

Jul 2021
Blackfire2340 said:
JaniSIr said:

I think it was for the right reasons. Eva was the most interesting thing going on in Monster. So much of the story is just "Tenma goes to new area, meet new character, show off doctor skills, new character either dies or you just plain never see them again, exposition on Johan". Rinse and repeat.

I feel like Monster gets overhyped a lot because its a unique story...for anime/manga. It's certainly not a bad story, but its definitely not the masterpiece people make it out to be. Maybe since its "deeper" to most people than just another shonen, isekai, ecchi series it gets more love. I think its dumb to praise something just because its different. I'd give Monster a 7/10, so not as harsh as you, but I definitely understand why some people don't like it.

I would go as far as saying the core plot straight up makes basically no sense, and it's really lame that the core cast of Tenma Johan and Anna got no character development.

And by "wrong reasons" I just meant I'm a big enjoyer of trashy romance dramas, ever since Domestic Girlfriend broke something inside me.
Apr 10, 2023 2:35 AM

Aug 2022
Gator said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - haven't watched it, kinda lost interest in NGE

bruh, you gave Golden Boy a 4 and Great Teacher Onizuka a 3 yet gave Fairy Tail and Goblin Slayer a 10... your taste in anime is highly questionable.
Apr 10, 2023 2:37 AM

Jan 2021
JaniSIr said:
Blackfire2340 said:

I would go as far as saying the core plot straight up makes basically no sense, and it's really lame that the core cast of Tenma Johan and Anna got no character development.

And by "wrong reasons" I just meant I'm a big enjoyer of trashy romance dramas, ever since Domestic Girlfriend broke something inside me.

See I can't stand what people claim is 'good' romance shows, such as Toradora. To me those anime bore me to near death.

[/center]
Apr 10, 2023 2:43 AM

Aug 2020
SgtBateMan said:
TRC_Randy said:

It's considered basic knowledge after hundred years of expansion
that's why i said "yeah i know that". It's not about it being basic knowledge or not. The show prides itself so much with its lore having explained things even from the very beginning of the two nations' conflict, who their founders were etc so ignoring those "uncolonisable star systems" with only "we only have Fezzan and Iserlohn corridors" with a thousand years worth of space exploration happening in between comes as nothing but neglecting its own objective. Not to mention the level of technology mankind has as shown in the present timeline which demands even more explanation to why they're uncolonisable.

Also, the characters don't have to point it out. The NARRATOR should.

All of you are falling for this bait so badly lol

Jul 2021
alshu said:
Haibane Renmei - no idea, but its fans are unable to explain what's so good about it.

It was a cozy SoL before it stopped making sense. Like it started building a world, and then never utilised any of it, kind of lame.
alshu said:

It was very slow but I actually liked the first half, before it stopped making sense.
alshu said:
Ghost in the Shell - better start with Ghost In The Shell SAC and only than check out the movies.

The issue with that is that half of it is just episodic stuff, and when I was considering skipping those, I realized how stupid even the proposition sounds that I'd need to skip half the anime to like it.
alshu said:
LOGH - I think that the Die Neue These reboot is more beginner friendly, also quite good, but veterans keep trashing it for no reason.

That I might actually need to watch. There's no way I could get used to the voice acting from the 80s.
Apr 10, 2023 2:46 AM

Aug 2018
This is just a generic "hey guys I have good anime taste" starter pack
_______I like rocks__
Apr 10, 2023 2:48 AM

Apr 2013
struggler_sensei said:
Gator said:

bruh, you gave Golden Boy a 4 and Great Teacher Onizuka a 3 yet gave Fairy Tail and Goblin Slayer a 10... your taste in anime is highly questionable.

I see, you gave Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop a 9, I guess your taste in anime is highly questionable as well. Good to meet a fellow user who has bad taste like me.
Apr 10, 2023 2:53 AM

Aug 2020
Blackfire2340 said:
JaniSIr said:

i've never seen anyone saying Monster is a masterpiece just bcoz it's unique tho.
Apr 10, 2023 2:55 AM

Jul 2021
AnimePedestrian said:
JaniSIr said:

See I can't stand what people claim is 'good' romance shows, such as Toradora. To me those anime bore me to near death.

Toradora would most likely bore me to death too, but only if I didn't die of cringe first.

Domestic Girlfriend however is awesome. I believe it was in an interview with Gigguk where the author said that the inspiration for the plot was Game of Thrones, so she filled the story with rapid (and very spicy) plot developments.
Apr 10, 2023 2:58 AM

Aug 2022
Gator said:
struggler_sensei said:

I see, you gave Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop a 9, I guess your taste in anime is highly questionable as well. Good to meet a fellow user who has bad taste like me.
Nah man both Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy are based, this is well known.

May 2018
JaniSIr said:
alshu said:

It was a cozy SoL before it stopped making sense. Like it started building a world, and then never utilised any of it, kind of lame.
alshu said:

It was very slow but I actually liked the first half, before it stopped making sense.

In other words I dodged a bullet skipping the first and dropping the second.

JaniSIr said:
alshu said:

The issue with that is that half of it is just episodic stuff, and when I was considering skipping those, I realized how stupid even the proposition sounds that I'd need to skip half the anime to like it.

If I remember correctly it became episodic in its second season which I disliked...so yeah, half isn't that great, but the good parts are best cyberpunk anime material ever.
alshuApr 10, 2023 3:02 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I've been away from AD for so damn long, that i almost fell for the bait

damn 

so people still shitpost LOL?
Apr 10, 2023 3:04 AM

Jan 2021
JaniSIr said:
AnimePedestrian said:

Toradora would most likely bore me to death too, but only if I didn't die of cringe first.

Domestic Girlfriend however is awesome. I believe it was in an interview with Gigguk where the author said that the inspiration for the plot was Game of Thrones, so she filled the story with rapid (and very spicy) plot developments.

See I think it the romance part which bores me, and often in SOL or CGDGT the characters go around doing average things, the fact the story is about the humdrum every day affairs of people with a few 'drama' scenes of someone finding out their partner isn't being 100% committed to the relationship but has a secret harem just reminds me of soap opera and I can't stand soap operas. 

[/center]
Apr 10, 2023 3:04 AM

Sep 2010
I made a list of anime people should watch, and rewatch, instead of trash that is being made nowadays:

- my favorites
Apr 10, 2023 3:10 AM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
In other words I dodged a bullet skipping the first and dropping the second.

Kind of. Like there is a quiz show episode in the second half of Ergo Proxy. And if that makes no sense based on what you watched, don't worry, it makes exactly as little sense having seen the entire thing.
Apr 10, 2023 3:11 AM

Jul 2021
Thank goodness you've made it on time! I was just about to start ergo proxy, now I know that I must avoid it along all the other titles you listed :D
Apr 10, 2023 3:12 AM

Oct 2010
TRC_Randy said:
mind sharing a bit more? Bcoz i too found the battle tactics nonsensical and also didn't buy the part where
let me see if I remember the good ones
- all of their tactics are "charge" and "out flank them" in a show with hardened generals
- enemy ships come out of the blue, where are the recon ships? why is no one using them?
- small fighters can destroy ships with 2 blasts whereas when ship vs ship happens they shoot for tens of blasts, anyways there's no way a small fighter can destroy a ship
- yang going to have peace talks in a small ship makes no sense, logical rules of war state that the party who asked for peace has to go there and even so, yang could have easily go with warships instead of a civilian ship because like I said "peace wasn't signed", yang had the upper hand, he should have asked for reinhardt to come to the fortress or them going to a neutral planet somewhere close, make a joint team with both parties involved to clear the area of potential rebels who would want to assassinate someone BEFOREHAND
- in the last big battle an empire ship took 2 days to reach the flagship yet on return to the exact same position it took 2 hours, I'm not making this up, it was hilarious
- the empire allowed the rebel army to roam with no worry in the new part of the universe till they became as powerful and developed as the empire, this is literally amusing
- reinhard doesn't wanna do stuff because "what would the normal people/citizens think" in an empire nonetheless, apparently propaganda can be used only when the plot needs it to be and of course reinhard used propaganda afterwards yet forgot about the "what would the normal people think"
- first thing you do after you conquer a country is to eliminate threat, what is the empire doing? they let yang live even though we know how much of a snake obestein is. So basically obestein found it easy to bomb civilians to ensure a win yet he didn't wanna kill yang in an "accident" because ...?

and there are more, literally hundreds, what you asked is something in-universe that they never explained, maybe something like a space that doesn't allow navigation/toxic/radioactive/etc but it's idiotic that we have to think that for ourselves because the creator has no idea how sci fi works
Apr 10, 2023 3:17 AM

May 2018
Fluffygreygrass said:
All of you are falling for this bait so badly

Not really. It's an excuse to trash on popular shows and this is always fun.
Apr 10, 2023 3:23 AM

Jul 2021
AnimePedestrian said:
JaniSIr said:

See I think it the romance part which bores me, and often in SOL or CGDGT the characters go around doing average things, the fact the story is about the humdrum every day affairs of people with a few 'drama' scenes of someone finding out their partner isn't being 100% committed to the relationship but has a secret harem just reminds me of soap opera and I can't stand soap operas. 

Yes. Don't expect me to explain why I suddenly gained an interest in that, I couldn't explain it to you.
Maybe I just got old.
Apr 10, 2023 3:26 AM

Sep 2020
Who...... asked. Make an interest stack or something. Got no restacks? Could never be me.

"๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š."- ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Apr 10, 2023 3:32 AM

Feb 2018
TRC_Randy said:
i've never seen anyone saying Monster is a masterpiece just bcoz it's unique tho.

But you do though. They may not flat out say "I like it because its unique", but thats what they end up saying. The top review on MAL literally starts off with "Monster isn't a traditional manga. It isn't about fighting." lol. The review then goes into liking how complex the story is, but doesn't even go into why its complex. That's because the story isn't complex at all, its actually very straight forward. Its a story with subplots that you see in every cable crime drama on TV. But it can seem more complex in an anime genre that is often formulaic with shonen, harems, mecha etc. Keep in mind this is the highest voted review as well.

I think the issue is people try to constantly compare things that shouldn't be compared. Its like the people who compare Marvel movies to Oscar-bait movies. Why are you comparing them in the first place? If I give the new Super Mario Bros. movie a 9, but give The Irishman a 6, that doesn't mean I think the Mario movie is better. The Mario movie simply did what it wanted a lot better than the Irishman.
Apr 10, 2023 3:33 AM

Oct 2018
No everyone should watch School Days. I mean most people went to school so it's relatable anime to most people. It's the most school anime school anime can be.
Apr 10, 2023 3:37 AM

Apr 2013
struggler_sensei said:
Gator said:

Yeah and Fairy Tail has 9 times the favorites of Space Dandy, I'm sure this discussion will go somewhere. Because taste is totally objective, right?
Apr 10, 2023 3:46 AM

Jul 2021
Miscanthus said:
No everyone should watch School Days. I mean most people went to school so it's relatable anime to most people. It's the most school anime school anime can be.

I don't think I have seen a single depiction of school in any media that'd be relatable.
Apr 10, 2023 3:53 AM

Aug 2022
Gator said:
struggler_sensei said:

Yeah and Fairy Tail has 9 times the favorites of Space Dandy, I'm sure this discussion will go somewhere. Because taste is totally objective, right?
It's subjective of course but if you said "I love the taste of shit" you would still have questionable preferences.
Apr 10, 2023 3:57 AM

Nov 2016
From what I've seen, they're all fantastic shows (apart from Gundam)
Apr 10, 2023 4:14 AM

May 2018
Bah, just a generic elitist list. I hoped to see something unusual here.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Characters you want to sit on you / in your lap uwu

IpreferEcchi - Jun 10

32 by MinakoBestGirl »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 3 hours ago

11 by Swyzen »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

95 by JoeChip »»
20 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

101 by KousakaK »»
33 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

30 by enigmasauce »»
49 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.