Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 1, 2022 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
Lum should wear that school sailor uniform more often. She looks great in it.

Ran made her appearance this episode and has an interesting relationship with Lum. Looks like she has a more aggressive personality behind that sweet appearance of hers. Feels like every character in this show knows how to take advantage of Ataru lol
Dec 1, 2022 8:53 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverDec 1, 2022 8:59 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 1, 2022 10:21 AM

Jan 2018
Lum is finally a high schooler! She looks great in the sailor uniform! But hold the phone, this episode isn't about you, as Ran has finally debuted!

Ran is probably my favorite character from Urusei Yatsura (other than Ataru maybe) so I was really looking forward to this. And how could I not since she's voiced by the lovely Kana Hanazawa? Or should I say frightening? God, I already love Ran's cute voice. But it'll take some time for me to get used to her "angry" voice.

David Production did a great job with this episode. My favorite has to be the sound effects. Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far.

The next episode will be Rei's debut. I wonder how his introduction will be handled since in the original manga he debuted in chapter 6 and in the original anime in episode 3. Either way, it's all coming together!
Dec 1, 2022 10:24 AM

Oct 2017
I like the new girl, Ran. She's really amusing and is voiced by HanaKana. Good to see Lum transfering to their school, she looks cute wearing uniform. Can Lum keep protecting her darling from Ran?
Dec 1, 2022 10:43 AM

Jul 2017
Lum is finally in school as the transfer student, though her Oni alien dad is quite the bulge. She looks great in the school uniform.

The sports festival close call, and this is the official debut of Ran being another lovely alien girl from space, which both her and Lum are childhood friends...albeit coming to Earth and instilling karma on Lum by stealing Ataru away from her. And being the womanizer that he is, Lum would have to pay very close attention to not let Ataru be astray. But I must say, getting a kiss from Ran is akin to getting the feeble and old experience.

Ran's sudden farewell party of a close call, it's not so easy trusting her for her antics, but her UFO house sure is extravagant. For sure, Ran would NOT stop at getting Ataru's attention, but the naiveté of the womanizer is just as persistent, and getting lost to explore her house. Unfortunately for her, her swap plan didn't go to plan, and Ataru certainly has done one thing good, too bad that Ran will stay on so as long as she gets her revenge.

Rei is next, and I'm anticipating how his introduction will be handled.
Dec 1, 2022 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Im not really a fan of kana voice for ran i perfer if they got Ookubo, Rumi or got Hidaka, Rina . Rans introctuin was great im hoping we get more of her schemes like in the og. I still kinda wish they had rei introduction earlier but whatever.
Dec 1, 2022 11:04 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wow having tea with a giant cat thats one to walk into. The principal sure knows how to relax huh. Its nice to finally see Lum transfer to the school though i didn't expect her dad to do so as well. Sports day huh always a fun time. To think that the school is proving this popular with aliens lol. Ran proved to have quite the past with Lum while proving to be quite the thorn for her as well. All of which served to add a lot of tension to the sports day. Nice room that Ran has though. Her switching plan was well thought out but its unfortunate for her that Ataru is someone thats naturally curious. Overall a fun ep that through the intro of Ran did well to introduce a new villain to the series that really gets under the skin of Ran. KanaHana is a great addition to the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2022 1:05 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Ran, a new character with a lot of spark and with constant mood swings!!! kekeke

Hilarious when appeared 2 Ataru!!!
Dec 1, 2022 2:30 PM

Apr 2022
have to say im really digging Ran's new voice actress. I'm hearing its that one chick from Stein's gates
Dec 1, 2022 2:42 PM

Feb 2019
Lum in sailor uniform omg we won!! Really funny episode. Ran is hilarious and a great addition to the cast. Too bad her revenge didn’t go according to plan, hope we get to see many more attempts lol
Dec 1, 2022 3:09 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ran and Lamu's relationship is quite fun, Hataru is stupid as ever he can be happy Lamu saved him from the cursed kiss, she's still going to school with Lamu though now xD
Dec 1, 2022 3:36 PM
Nov 2022
I liked the episode, it was a little more random than usual, introducing a new character who tries to hurt Ataru, I wonder if later she will try to attack him again or it will only be a matter of one episode.
Dec 1, 2022 3:54 PM

Dec 2021
I really hope they don't skip the apostrophe clone epidemic episode, that episode was a true classic. I don't fully remember the old anime adaptation of this episode, but I'm REALLY sure it ended differently.

Anyway, this is probably the first episode where I actually prefer the original adaptation over the remake. Kinda shocking, because for the most part, this adaptation has been doing everything somewhat better than the original, minus the soundtrack, which I still haven't gotten used to.
Daviljoe193Dec 1, 2022 3:59 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Dec 1, 2022 3:56 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Lum decides to go to school with Ataru where she also meets Ran who transferred there too. Ran has quite the split personality as she is also an alien with the ability to suck the life out of people by kissing them. Ran tries to seduce Ataru as a way of getting back at Lum, but is unsuccessful thanks to Lum steering Ataru away despite him willing to make out with Ran.
Dec 1, 2022 4:03 PM
Sep 2018
A principal with a big catto, Lum finally starting school, baby Lum, a tiger holding a Lum voodoo doll and a cute girl with a split personality is one hell of a episode
Dec 1, 2022 4:04 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Nice to see Ran’s introduction in the remake, although it was a bit different here but apparently it’s more faithful to the manga now so that’s cool, I definitely really enjoyed it, it was funny tho to see Ataru not caring about becoming an old guy to kiss Ran once again lol. It’s also interesting that it was paired with Lum becoming a student at the school, glad to see her in the school uniform in the remake too.

And the 2nd half of the episode was awesome as well, I always loved Ran’s schemes to kiss Ataru. There were also a bunch of great Lum reactions in this one, love the shots where they use alternate colors, which has been prominent in the remake so far. And I love Ran’s VA, HanaKana is doing a fantastic job. Looks like we’ll finally be seeing Rei next episode!
Dec 1, 2022 5:05 PM

May 2018
Lum looks great with her school uniform UwU. Ram on the other hand...
Dec 1, 2022 6:02 PM
Oct 2022
Daviljoe193 said:
I really hope they don't skip the apostrophe clone epidemic episode, that episode was a true classic.

Well, I was surprised to see the ''apostrophe'' near the clone-Ataru head in this episode... also, cloning was made by an oven, while in the other ''clones with markings'' chapter it was by just shooting Ataru with a replication gun. At this point I don't know if they will adapt that chapter in the remake, probably no...

LuisSV23 said:
I liked the episode, it was a little more random than usual, introducing a new character who tries to hurt Ataru, I wonder if later she will try to attack him again or it will only be a matter of one episode.

There are at least another dozen episodes in which she attempts to kiss Ataru or get back at Lum in general lol

But later she starts to think mostly on how to win Rei's heart
HelstarDec 1, 2022 6:35 PM
Dec 1, 2022 9:11 PM

May 2022
Marinate1016 said:
Lum in sailor uniform omg we won!! Really funny episode. Ran is hilarious and a great addition to the cast. Too bad her revenge didn’t go according to plan, hope we get to see many more attempts lol

I also liked Lum’s outfit when they went to visit Ran. Tbh, I love all her different outfits. Also Ran’s split personality had my laughing so much with some of the things she was saying. I’m really looking forward to more episodes. It’s a lot of fun.
Dec 1, 2022 9:36 PM

Feb 2016
Daviljoe193 said:
I really hope they don't skip the apostrophe clone epidemic episode, that episode was a true classic. I don't fully remember the old anime adaptation of this episode, but I'm REALLY sure it ended differently.

Glad I'm not the only one who loved that old Ataru clone episode... Giving the dummy Ataru a "clone mark" in this was a nice callback to that. I don't remember him having it in the original.

That aside, Kana Hanazawa killed it as Ran, IMO. Her delivery was hilarious between those sour and sweet moments.
Dec 1, 2022 9:37 PM
Mar 2015
Ran is one wacky bitch
Dec 1, 2022 10:49 PM

Aug 2019
Finally get Ran after hearing a lot about her and can see why she's liked

She's a good character for HanaKana to flex

Dec 2, 2022 2:13 AM
May 2022
Really interesting episode that is actually somewhat deep with Ataru and Lum’s character development
Dec 2, 2022 3:58 AM
Jan 2021
Lum looks really cute in school dress. episode is good but I want development waiting for next episode
Dec 2, 2022 6:00 AM

Mar 2012
I want to see Ran succeeding in getting her revenge even though it will never happen.
Dec 2, 2022 7:11 AM
Nirai Kanai

Dec 2012
Gosh Ataru is annoying lol I enjoyed the Lum/Ran dynamic so far. I'll continue to give it time because I enjoy the show but man, hate the way Ataru treats Lum haha

The World Suffused with Sound.
Dec 2, 2022 7:16 AM

Feb 2018
Another chaotic episode!
Wondering if Ran will be a rival that we're going to see throughout the rest of the series, or if she will just be used for a couple of episodes.
Dec 2, 2022 8:33 AM
Apr 2018
The localizations keep getting worse and worse.

Why even bother licensing other people's work? Just create your own anime if you want to be a writer that badly.
Dec 2, 2022 8:33 AM

May 2015
I'm fed up they give Lamu these lame outfits.
Dec 2, 2022 9:13 AM

May 2020
God Ataru should register his name in the Guinness world records for being the biggest ever simp born on this planet.
Dec 2, 2022 9:44 AM

May 2019
I wish they would adapt the Lum's enrollment to Ataru's school with Hanawa sensei as the teacher separately or maybe paired it with the volleyball captain story instead of squeezing it with Ran's introduction story. That particular chapter with Hanawa sensei is so hilarious especially with Hanawa's youth enthusiasm. I like how the principal already vibing with Kotatsu so quick lol. He is one of my favorite side characters in the series. As for Ran's introduction story, it sticks closely to the manga and I like it better than the OG's one. Kana Hanazawa really nailed Ran's character with her voice range. Nice nod to the clone gun story with the apostrophe sign on top of the fake one's head. I hope that story make it to the remake. The funniest bits for me are when Ran chokes the freakish vase for trying to eat the whole flowers and Kosuke being sucked with the straw sound effect lol. Next episode: gun.
VivaceRexDec 2, 2022 9:52 AM

Dec 2, 2022 11:12 AM
Oct 2018
good funny and japanese
Dec 2, 2022 12:56 PM

Aug 2013
Romangelo said:
The localizations keep getting worse and worse.

Why even bother licensing other people's work? Just create your own anime if you want to be a writer that badly.

Honestly, just use Zafkiel subs. Hidive is known for abysmal translations. They did similar thigs in Machikado Mazoku.
But in the case of Urusei Yatsura, this is probably the worst official translation of an anime I've seen in the last decade.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 2, 2022 2:16 PM

Jul 2016
Normal girls are an anomaly in this show.
Dec 2, 2022 4:34 PM

Nov 2016
They struck gold with the seiyuu cast. Hanakana as Ran = W

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 2, 2022 10:15 PM
Sep 2008
My favorite Girl Ran finally arrives. The keeping the flavor of the classic series but updating it slightly for modern audiences is still holding up.
Dec 2, 2022 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
This show is equally unfunny as the 80s version, but vastly more visually striking and relative to the original better animated -- enough so to actually keep me anticipating new episodes. This episode was a leisurely watch as always.

I really appreciate how Ran's motives are a lot more clear in this episode/series. They kinda just get straight to the point. In the older version, I remember being a bit confused about Ran's motives - she was a bit hard to follow, and the writing just seemed poor.
Something just seems so much neatly presented here. Less schizophrenic and all over the place. So as far as I'm concerned, Ran was very good in this first appearance.
Dec 2, 2022 11:39 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
What a great voice acting from Hanakana performing as Ran. She made here constant mood changes even more fun. As for Lum, it was a nice change of pace seeing her as a student and she was also cute.

Oh my, we also had a synthesizer rendition from Kabalevsky's Comedian's Gallop during the sports festival events. I was delighted.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Dec 3, 2022 3:20 AM

May 2015
Lum's childhood friend turned enemy Ran is here! She is definitely a much enjoyed addition to the cast. it's honestly refreshing to see a rival character as blatantly two faced and honest about her intentions even though this is a remake of a classic anime! Excited to see that Rei guy that broke up Lum and Rans friendship.
Dec 3, 2022 4:26 AM

May 2021
So Lum seems to have an ex. Think Ran should be focusing on winning that guy's heart than getting revenge...

Dec 3, 2022 6:08 AM

Jul 2021
lol ran is something. she did a complete 360 with her personality. decently enjoyable episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 3, 2022 6:21 AM

Jul 2016
Loved this episode. It was a great introduction to Ran and all of her batshit insane antics on trying to get revenge on Lum. The second half in particular was freaking hilarious, love how the whole cloning thing which was made into a much more serious conflict in the OG series was just a quick fast gag, I like that much more, lol.

Looking forward to how this series introduces Rei next week.
Dec 3, 2022 7:43 AM
Jun 2021
FUCKING AWESOME OHMYGOD FUCKING HELL AAAAAAAAAAH
Dec 3, 2022 1:34 PM

Jul 2017
Damn these characters are so fucking annoying
Dec 3, 2022 1:51 PM

Aug 2017
Man.

Why are all the pink haired bitches in anime crazy and wanting revenge? lol

I thought Ran was gonna be a wholesome and nice girl. But that was all a facade. An act to blend in with the earthlings. This is some BS.
It's a shame too because Ran is very beautiful aesthetically out of all the female cast. Yare yare daze.

Dec 4, 2022 4:31 AM

May 2019
Naroomaki said:
Man.

Why are all the pink haired bitches in anime crazy and wanting revenge? lol

I thought Ran was gonna be a wholesome and nice girl. But that was all a facade. An act to blend in with the earthlings. This is some BS.
It's a shame too because Ran is very beautiful aesthetically out of all the female cast. Yare yare daze.

There will be some backstories about Lum and Ran's childhood. They are only teased during the photo album scene.

Dec 4, 2022 10:25 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Hearing delinquent Kana Hanazawa voice is actually mindblowing LOL
Dec 4, 2022 4:30 PM

Jun 2021
Finally Lum is officialized as a student but as a double fakeout (at least for the characters instead of the audience) she isn't the only new student introduced.

Ran debuts and i'm glad she did this early, she usually had some of my favorite episodes in the original series and at least this time she isn't shown on screen as a kid getting spanked by her mother because of Lum's bad deeds. Ironically, her crush has to be introduced yet this time but previews show that he's almost there. Very nice episode overall.
Dec 5, 2022 8:51 AM

Feb 2016
- Oh look, HanaKana is voicing a cute character for a change!
5 mins later
- ...aaaaaaand, it's another psycho.

Dec 7, 2022 6:36 AM
Oct 2019
My god so many Top Tier VA in this Anime.
Hanazawa Kana has joined the cast.

The way she switched her voice from cute to psycho is insane.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2022

394 by UzAnas »»
Sep 20, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2023

96 by Muow »»
Sep 8, 8:05 PM

» Don't worry, Ranma 1/2 remake will follow... Probably new Maison Ikkoku as well. ( 1 2 )

Ajvisor - Jan 1, 2022

85 by wildhood »»
Aug 1, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2022

72 by dspr »»
Jul 28, 6:46 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

143 by dspr »»
Jul 17, 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.