Forum Settings
Forums

I don't understand people who hate on long anime they completed

New
Jan 14, 2022 6:48 PM

Jul 2020
Like seriously, I see a TON of MAL users that don't even drop a long anime they hate at all, they just go and watch til the very end and then proceed to give it a bad score, like @Karhu and @Lockensocke for example, they watched the entirety of Gintama and Hunter X Hunter respectively but still gave them 1s anyways, and even if some MAL users actually do drop long anime they hate, they still watched a ton of it, like @mkzxwing for example, he dropped One Piece but he still watched 625 episodes of it anyways, so can someone tell me why these people never even seem to drop long anime they hate at all, especially really long ones like Gintama and One Piece?

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2022 6:50 PM

Jul 2016
You can't justify scoring a long anime poorly unless you have seen most of it, so you know it deserves it.
Jan 14, 2022 6:52 PM

Jul 2020
IpreferEcchi said:
You can't justify scoring a long anime poorly unless you have seen most of it, so you know it deserves it.
Why would you do that though? You'd essentially be wasting a fraction of your life just by watching long anime you hate. There's better uses for the time you spend watching a long anime you hate, you know.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Jan 14, 2022 6:57 PM

Feb 2021
Its their time, its their choices..
Jan 14, 2022 6:58 PM
May 2016
Either they feel pressured by assholes who say "You didn't watch X amount therefore your opinion is invalid,"
or
they enjoyed it/wanted to see where it was going only for them to be disappointed
or
They were in a phase where they loved, then woke up one day and decided they didn't like it, and now their bitter and sppiteful
Jan 14, 2022 6:59 PM

Jul 2016
SmashBlack said:
Why would you do that though? You'd essentially be wasting a fraction of your life just by watching long anime you hate. There's better uses for the time you spend watching a long anime you hate, you know.

I personally am going to do that.

So that people will take me seriously. My mission is to attract attention / criticism for my anime taste.

To be in people's consciousness.
Jan 14, 2022 7:01 PM

Mar 2019
Dropping anime is for cowards. Finish what you start. Rating something without watching it all is a bad way to go about it. Etc.
Jul 2018
They try to see if they like them along way. I'm not the type to wait that long though.
Oct 2019
No idea either, I’d never deal with an anime that long if I hated it that much 🤷‍♀️ This also goes for anime with multiple seasons, like, why would you put yourself through that 😅
Jan 14, 2022 7:02 PM

Oct 2018
I don't like dropping shows because I want to know what I will talk about
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 14, 2022 7:02 PM

Jan 2019
i get what u mean that it's kinda weird that they watched something they hated for so long

in one piece's case, tho, it could definitely be because of the shitty pacing, and they eventually got sick of it and called it quits. i've seen ppl who have done that
Jan 14, 2022 7:03 PM
Oct 2019
NG_Chloe said:
Either they feel pressured by assholes who say "You didn't watch X amount therefore your opinion is invalid,"
or
they enjoyed it/wanted to see where it was going only for them to be disappointed
or
They were in a phase where they loved, then woke up one day and decided they didn't like it, and now their bitter and sppiteful

That actually makes a lot of sense (especially the first two), I didn’t think of that 😮 still, especially for super long anime (100+), I feel that’s such a pain in the ass
Jan 14, 2022 7:03 PM

Sep 2014
I don't understand those who criticize what people are doing.
Jan 14, 2022 7:04 PM

Jul 2020
AniMarter said:
Dropping anime is for cowards. Finish what you start. Rating something without watching it all is a bad way to go about it. Etc.
Once again, why would you do that? You'd essentially be wasting a fraction of your life just by watching long anime you hate. There's better uses for the time you spend watching a long anime you hate, you know.

Jan 14, 2022 7:06 PM
May 2021
I dropped

One Piece after 130 episodes.

Aikatsu! at 6 episodes.

Naruto after 63 eps.

and finally

Naruto: Shippuuden after 30 episodes.

Out of all of them, Aikatsu! is the worst of them all.

The rest I'll probably pick up on them again, but no time soon and fxxk Aikatsu!

I haven't rated them either, because I feel that anything dropped, should speak for itself, but it depends.
SlimsithJan 14, 2022 8:46 PM
Jan 14, 2022 7:08 PM

Sep 2021
Because there is a huge difference in your criticism if you actually completed the anime or dropped it halfway.
Jan 14, 2022 7:08 PM
Jul 2016
I'm a lot more likely to read a trash manga for longer than a trash anime, because I can read like five to eight chapters in the span of time it takes to watch one episode

incidentally I read way too much of Rental Girlfriend to see if anything interesting would happen after the end of the anime (it didn't, mostly)
Jan 14, 2022 7:18 PM

Jan 2009
they are masochists what else there is lol
Jan 14, 2022 7:18 PM

Mar 2019
SmashBlack said:
AniMarter said:
Once again, why would you do that? You'd essentially be wasting a fraction of your life just by watching long anime you hate. There's better uses for the time you spend watching a long anime you hate, you know.

There are better uses of your time than asking people on an internet forum how they waste theirs, but here we are.

People don't always act logically when it comes to their free time. Yeah, it's probably a waste, but that sense of completionism, and the ability to have a full criticism of a show and not just part of it, is worth that tradeoff for some people.

Watching bad things can be relaxing and cathartic in its own right as well.
Jan 14, 2022 7:26 PM

Nov 2011
-Some people have stupid no drop policy.
-Some other who don't, also can enjoy a series up to certain point before they finally got sick of it.
-Some other just have nothing else to do with their free time.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 14, 2022 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe they want to see if it'll turn out good in their perspective, ended up reaching long destination.
Jan 14, 2022 7:29 PM

Jul 2020
AniMarter said:
SmashBlack said:

There are better uses of your time than asking people on an internet forum how they waste theirs, but here we are.

People don't always act logically when it comes to their free time. Yeah, it's probably a waste, but that sense of completionism, and the ability to have a full criticism of a show and not just part of it, is worth that tradeoff for some people.

Watching bad things can be relaxing and cathartic in its own right as well.
I'm sorry, but how can watching bad stuff be relaxing? And who cares about having reasons for liking or disliking a show? All that matters is your own personal enjoyment on something, not trying to look like one of those critics that only watch anime for the whole entire purpose of rating them "objectively". That's exactly why me asking this stuff isn't a waste of time, at least, for me, anyways. I actually feel pretty good now that I got some answers on the question that I got, even if they're answers that I didn't really want to see.

Jan 14, 2022 7:44 PM

Oct 2021
It's because they have nothing to do bruh
Jan 14, 2022 7:44 PM

Jul 2019
This assumes quality is consistent throughout the entire anime/manga. AOT is the perfect example of this. People said it was good until 131 or around that, and fell off from there to the point in which it deserved very low scores.

With anime as you have stated, they could have come into the anime, was told by the anime this is what you get, and further down the line, it deteriorates from the original point.

Also, this is the same argument people use for "oh but, if you don't like an anime, don't watch it or just drop it from ep 1". Some people don't mind watching a low-quality anime, for many reasons: completionist, the need to understand why anime can be bad, nothing better to do, warn others X anime is bad. List goes on.
Jan 14, 2022 7:45 PM

Sep 2019
Hrybami said:
I don't understand those who criticize what people are doing.
because they think that unless it's a professional job or any worthy thing, then you may watch a long anime which you hate because you ain't gonna give a high time of your life to hated stuff and become unstable. In simple words, back to back doing hate consuming for 100s of episodes.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 14, 2022 7:50 PM

Aug 2021
Because some people are completionists, and probably also perfectionists. There was a time where I tried to complete everything I tried to watch so my On-Hold and Dropped will stay at zero entries, even though I didn't enjoy most of the shows I watched that much. Yes, it's a waste of time and it's dumb as fuck (I know full well), but seeing my Completed and Watching list with even numbers + On-Hold, Dropped, and PTW with zero entries was worth it for me. I stopped because I too felt like I wasted too much time on bad shows, but there are probably some people who had a similar mindset.

Also, there's no need to judge what people spend their time with LMAO -- it's their time after all.

Edit: People who watch a long-ass show to completion might just want to have a complete, coherent thought about the whole thing to review it or to prove to others why it's bad -- and if they think that's worth their time, then to each their own. A good example: MAL hides preliminary reviews by default, so if they wanted to review a long-ass show to let the public know how bad it is, they'll have no choice but to complete the thing. If everyone drops long-running shows the moment they decided they don't like it, we'll only have 7-10 reviews on those shows, which I don't think is a good thing.
luminalityJan 14, 2022 7:56 PM
Jan 14, 2022 8:04 PM

Feb 2021
It's simple. They don't rate based on enjoyment. They might have realised some flaws in the anime.

If I had rated everything based on enjoyment, then I would have had a lot of 9s and 10s.I would still say that my rating is a bit biased.
Jan 14, 2022 8:06 PM

Jul 2020
Slimsith said:
I dropped

Aikatsu! at 6 episodes.

Naruto after 63 eps.

and finally

The rest I'll probably pick up again, but no time soon.

I haven't rated them either, because I feel that anything dropped, should speak for itself, but it depends.

How can you watch Shippuden without OG Naruto? Lmao. You've got way too much free time.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 14, 2022 8:18 PM

Jun 2017
Personally, if i watch a few epsidoes of something, i try to finish it. Even if i don't like it, i like to finish it so it can say i finished it and move on.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jan 14, 2022 8:29 PM

Jul 2017
You've got people with that retarded "no drop policy" eating up dogshit because they've already started eating it lol

Jan 14, 2022 8:30 PM
May 2021
Scordolo said:
Slimsith said:
I dropped

Aikatsu! at 6 episodes.

Naruto after 63 eps.

and finally

The rest I'll probably pick up again, but no time soon.

How can you watch Shippuden without OG Naruto? Lmao. You've got way too much free time.

Not much of a choice after having heart surgery, it's in my bio.

Anyway, despite the free time, I am picky about what I watch.

Naruto was just something people liked, but I didn't, maybe because it was Japan's version of Eminem or something.

With all that I have watched, I'm like damn...

I've done nothing but watch anime damn near 24-7.

TheBlockernator said:
Personally, if i watch a few epsidoes of something, i try to finish it. Even if i don't like it, i like to finish it so it can say i finished it and move on.

Yeah I thought I was like that until I watched "Aikatsu!".
That series is like a brainwash kind of deal.
Teletubbies might be the Acid/LSD, but Aikatsu! is ghetto crack.
F that.
I'll just "Drop It" and move on.
I'll admit, I do like One Piece, but the number of episodes just feels like an endurance challenge waiting to happen.
Let me enjoy as much anime as I can, then I'll pickup the ones I dropped maybe and continue them then.
The "On Hold" option is a waste of space.

Attackonfiller said:
You've got people with that retarded "no drop policy" eating up dogshit because they've already started eating it lol

Yep.

Oh and I agree totally with @luminality about finishers and perfecters with a lengthy series, but if I got a choice man, I'm making it intentionally for something better, hopefully, but oh well.
SlimsithJan 14, 2022 8:45 PM
Jan 14, 2022 8:33 PM

Aug 2021
to make your opinion valid like many other people have said
Jan 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Jul 2017
Slimsith said:
TheBlockernator said:

Yeah I thought I was like that until I watched "Aikatsu!".
That series is like a brainwash kind of deal.
Teletubbies might be the Acid/LSD, but Aikatsu! is ghetto crack.
F that.

As an Aikatsu! fan, I couldn't be any more confused as to what you mean by this. I really need help with that Teletubbies analogy especially xD

Jan 15, 2022 1:43 AM

Sep 2018
I watched 300ish episodes of Gintama even if I stopped liking it at some point because 1 episode per day didn't hurt much. Binging it would have been impossible.

Jan 15, 2022 1:56 AM

Jul 2017
Some people love hate-watching, although I don't think those people consider those anime boring, they might dislike aspects of the anime because no sane person would sit through an anime if it's not entertaining at all which leads to the question, why would they rate something a 1 if it's not boring? My answer to that is they're full-fledged contrarians. There's also another crowd that follows herd mentality and succumbs to peer pressure to lower ratings.
CrimsunreaperJan 15, 2022 2:04 AM
Jan 15, 2022 2:35 AM

Oct 2010
forgot to add me, watched 1000 one piece episodes, saw all the movies and specials but I don't like it (to be fair, east blue saga was a masterpiece)
Jan 15, 2022 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
I thnk it's because too shut up the people who say "It gets better after X episodes". Have seen many people claiming they including myself.
Jan 15, 2022 7:01 AM

Jul 2013
I do get your point, because why would you continue watching something for so long if you actually dislike it. But I also believe that it's difficult to judge an entire long series without actually dedicating yourself to it. How can you judge an entire work and grade it if you haven't even seen half of it? I think in order to give a fair and plausible rating, you should have seen the whole thing. Because if you don't watch the whole thing and drop it and THEN rate it a 1 or 2, that doesn't seem very reasonable, does it? Also, in times of internet debates about anime and people growing extremely confident online, I would like to think that people are afraid of judging animes without watching the entire thing as they don't want die-hard fans to attack them for no reason.
「 Између људи и нељуди. 」
Jan 15, 2022 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
Slimsith said:

Aikatsu! at 6 episodes.

S1? I'm surprised you even watched 6 episodes. Why did start it? May i ask
Jan 15, 2022 7:22 AM

Nov 2018
And the question why are you butthurt by others ratings?
This dude also targeted me one time for some petty reasons.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jan 15, 2022 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
kind of weird that you tagged specific users, it's not like you have to give proof.
Jan 15, 2022 7:24 AM

Nov 2019
Smash SmashBlack Black for judging people on how they spent their ti me.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 15, 2022 8:32 AM

Dec 2015
Agreed. Doing something you don't like for dozends of hours, so you can justify not liking it in front of strangers on the internet. It seems like helluva stupid thing to do.

Jan 15, 2022 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
Op you're fighting a losing battle, I know how u feel but the majority sides with the opposing side. The moment you said these 3 words:
SmashBlack said:
why these people
People are already on ur ass saying "why do u care" "It's called MYanimelist" "People can score however they want" (You will keep getting these kind of replies in the near future on this thread)

I also question this behavior lol, but don't bother anymore cuz you will never reach a logical conclusion on why some people do this. There's a few dumb reasons on why they do this if u still wanna know, like:

1. They would keep watching a show they hate just so they can find better reasons to hate on it.

2.They would force themselves to watch the whole show to not get called out for not watching enough when they shit on it.

We can discuss this if u want, I will add you.
Jan 15, 2022 8:51 AM

Dec 2019
I don't get it either lol if something was boring id just stop watching. But they're free to do whatever they want. I personally wouldn't watching something I didn't like in my free time
Jan 15, 2022 9:49 AM
Jul 2017
It starts good, then goes bad towards the end, you can't help but complete it and regret at the first place watching that stuff.
Jan 15, 2022 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
I think they hate them because they got tricked (by author or community) and wasted their time.
Jan 15, 2022 10:53 AM
Sep 2008
For me I fell for the trap that some people said that particular anime got better later on but it didn't for me and after watching it you expresas that you don't like it they say that your oponion doesnt matter and therefore hate starts to rise, not really towards the anime.

By the way it wasn't people on the Internet but IRL that told me over and over to watch that anime.
Jan 15, 2022 11:17 AM

Dec 2018
Well, after watching about a quarter of the first season of Fairy Tail and thinking it was super boring and awful, I was told that it gets better later on and that my opinion was invalid since I only watched a quarter of it. Out of pure spite, I continued to watch every episode and even the movies only to confirm my suspicions that yes, it is still awful.

"It gets better later on," is about my most hated statement so to avoid ever hearing it, I don't drop shows. I watch shows that I think are awful to the very end so I can explain to anyone who asks why I think it's so bad, but this is just my reason.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Jan 15, 2022 11:17 AM

Dec 2018
Well, after watching about a quarter of the first season of Fairy Tail and thinking it was super boring and awful, I was told that it gets better later on and that my opinion was invalid since I only watched a quarter of it. Out of pure spite, I continued to watch every episode and even the movies only to confirm my suspicions that yes, it is still awful.

"It gets better later on," is about my most hated statement so to avoid ever hearing it, I don't drop shows. I watch shows that I think are awful to the very end so I can explain to anyone who asks why I think it's so bad. This is just my reason and I completely understand people who value their time more than me and just drop anything they don't like.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

65 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7229 by Akua »»
11 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

70 by Jeevanandhnr »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

54 by Mayahuel »»
14 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 12 hours ago

42 by Theo1899 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.