Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 12, 2021 8:41 AM

Oct 2020
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
did you like this episode? it releases at 5:30 pm GMT today!
Oct 12, 2021 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
This has an interesting premise but the episode felt average, at least in terms of execution. We do get the world setting and Asylum being featured as part of the plot.

Seems the anime focuses on a guy named Shigure assigned to a 'sleeper' role to investigate. Action is what I had expected out of a sci-fi anime. Besides Shigure, I find the rest of the cast kinda dull. Hope show improves..

Jun 2019
Randolph Syndrome is something that is causing people in the world to continue sleeping without ever waking up... So... Death? I guess. This was caused by something that's called the underground world which is known as Asylum and many wealth-hungry people are putting their lives for all the things that this unexplored place offers.

Shigure is our protagonist who has volunteered himself to be the sleeper and who's going to explore and investigate this underground world that has just appeared in Antarctica. Now the question is what is the cause of this mysterious sleeping sickness? The premise sounds quite dank and solid only thing that's left is the execution. If done right, this could be a big fish. So far... it's fine. The visuals look good as well. It's Silver Link, so, I don't have to worry about that.

Jul 2017
Square Enix's brand new Deep Insanity multimedia project, and it's an alright start.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-25/square-enix-deep-insanity-project-gets-tv-anime-by-silver-link-in-october/.174421

ANN's synopsis:
The project is set in a world overrun with the mysterious "Randolph Syndrome" that causes sudden comas. Simultaneously, a massic underground realm called "Asylum" was discovered at the South Pole as the syndrome's origin. Weird creatures, unlike any on the surface, dwell there with previously unknown natural resources. To cure the Randolph syndrome (and to get rich plundering the creatures' genetic data and underground resources), people set foot in the Asylum.

It's so weird that this "Randolph Syndrome" is pretty much similar to the current day COVID measure (where most wear masks). The anime's story takes place in-between the manga and game, and this new boy (Shigure Daniel Kai) volunteers himself to be a Sleeper on this Antarctica expedition with the lofty goal to be a hero. Don't know why, but OK. Getting introduced to his designated Vera platoon, to bearing your own responsibility for survival, this Antarctica "Asylum" mission is not for the faint of heart to fight against mutated "Scarred" monsters as a team.

An alright start to see where this will go.
KANLen09Oct 12, 2021 9:58 AM
Oct 12, 2021 9:02 AM

Feb 2018
I don't really understand the story' but the art are quite bad, even though there are a lot of cute girls, it's just that the Chara design and the background and the monster don't seem to contrast. I even watched this while playing a game, lol.... Looks like it's going to be on the drop list.

Oct 12, 2021 9:34 AM

Oct 2020
oof, that screenshot looks bad
Oct 12, 2021 9:56 AM

Apr 2009
Weird choise to use "Sleeper" as a name for a soldier...
Oct 12, 2021 10:00 AM

Jun 2021
Didn't find much appeal in episode 1

All the characters are boring, the enemy design looked cheap, and the story was pretty stagnant.

Maybe the fan of this series will enjoy this, but I'm not feeling it so far.
Oct 12, 2021 10:07 AM
Aug 2020
Might just drop this and try the game that will release tomorrow. The game might be better. Anime is good tho, I mean the story,but it lacks to alot of things. Not really boring if you'll just pay attention to the idea of the Anime, but who can do that?without paying attention to script, animation and characters. At least the visuals are great.
Oct 12, 2021 10:08 AM

Apr 2014
The monster CG was weird and bad, tbh.
Hope the story and the arts will be better. I really hope the story will be more than something like the looping of killing those monsters and complete the mission. It should have something secretly hidden under Antarctica.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 12, 2021 10:24 AM
Sep 2019
Average start tbh. The story at first looked interesting but they focus on introducing that world to us which I believe they should have done because would building is important.

Also, that CGI monster was horrible.
Oct 12, 2021 10:29 AM
May 2014
trash cgi
i wonder if the plot will be solid in the next episodes...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2021 10:35 AM

Nov 2016
Although, I haven't yet, I feel like I would be better off watching Sidonia no Koishi. Too bad this doesn't have so bad it's good type of comedy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 2021 10:41 AM

Sep 2018
That was painful to watch.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Oct 12, 2021 10:42 AM

Feb 2019
Sooo.. scarlet nexus… but worse? Looks like it’ll be an extremely rare Silverlink miss sadly. Lets hope I’m wrong
Oct 12, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2020
Umm... I don't know. That wasn't so good. The CGI was also pretty bad.
Oct 12, 2021 10:43 AM

Sep 2008
I do have mixed feelings about this so far.
Could go either way.

I hope our main protagonist shapes up and gets better and the series will focus some more on the mystery of the place.
The charaters themselves are kinda boring-ish if you ask me.

It does not, believe it or not, give off any made in abyss wibes.
Only thing that is similar is the big unknown hole, the rest it seems is pretty different so far.
Oct 12, 2021 10:44 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was painfully below average, really boring presentation.
Oct 12, 2021 10:49 AM

Jan 2021
Expected more tbh. Art was cool until that monster. Damn it looked disgusting.

チュブリツァ

Oct 12, 2021 10:55 AM

Aug 2008
What inthe name of gaga was that mucus there o.o
Been a time since seen such ugly cgi monster ... is like it was threw there
Dont know, i will give it one more episode...
The characters are not great... animation bit off, but the plot was ok... at first.
The spider is watching
Oct 12, 2021 10:55 AM

Jul 2011
Not even waited Scarlet Nexus to end, but let the weird sibling join the season. Damn.
Oct 12, 2021 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
Is this THE Made in Abyss?
Loads of fashionable clothing this season.
The MC is attractive, soooooo

Is that TV voice Mayumi Shintani? Because you don't know how much she annoys me lol.

All of the people judging anime that don't have millions of cash to afford to draw everything, oh the irony.
Oct 12, 2021 11:00 AM

Feb 2021
Amazing start! It reminds of 86, also fight against monster robots.
Oct 12, 2021 11:22 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah I am also of the opinion this could go either way.

That water monster in particular had extremely disgusting CG but other than that the overall episode was rather average.

Oct 12, 2021 11:25 AM

Jul 2015
Syureria said:
I don't really understand the story' but the art are quite bad, even though there are a lot of cute girls, it's just that the Chara design and the background and the monster don't seem to contrast. I even watched this while playing a game, lol.... Looks like it's going to be on the drop list.

That contrasts well if it's an alien invader and that's what their going for but if not YIKES
Oct 12, 2021 11:40 AM
Dec 2016
this is thrash... writing of 10 year old, boring scenes from direction, sloppy character design. Only animation is decent
Oct 12, 2021 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
Serious Made in Abyss vibes here.
CGI is below average and MC is rather lame, but I hope it will be better.

Oct 12, 2021 11:51 AM

May 2018
Was the show THAT retarded or I ate something bad for dinner and now I am delirious?
Oct 12, 2021 11:59 AM

Jun 2020
Yeah, no. I'm not even gonna bother with finishing the first episode.
Oct 12, 2021 12:00 PM

May 2021
Hmmmm. That was an… ok(ish)? episode. To be honest, wasn’t the best but I’ll stick with it to see where it ends up. The engrish when they said ‘please step off in the designated safe zone’ caught me off guard and me laugh though xD. Shigure also fainted whilst standing up with his eyes open xD. Seems he joined to become a hero because of an advertisement he saw lol. The CGI weird monster looked VERY out of place though xD. Looking forward to the next episode (I guess?)
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 12, 2021 12:19 PM
Jan 2020
Mixed feelings tbh, it's screaming that this is pretty much a video game adaptation with that MC lol.

It's rather average. Not really that bad as what comments here are saying (except the cgi).
Oct 12, 2021 12:36 PM
Jun 2019
maybe not the best animation when speaking to that cg monster, but lets hope plot will be interesting
Oct 12, 2021 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
A gacha game ad; no more, no less. I had high expectations for it - as I do for most original shows - but that was before I found out that it's a mixed-media project. Seems like Square's trying to snatch a piece of the gacha market cake.

The episode was so bad that the usual 3-episode rule is just way too much. Downright terrible. 1/5 and into the trash it goes.

Oct 12, 2021 12:44 PM
Dec 2020
it was just an ok episode, the way the monster looked wasn't my favourite but I can definitely get past that, it was just ok, I don't have too high hopes for it but I also don't like anime failing so we shall see.
some people...
Oct 12, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2014
Felt alright so far. There is interest, but it all depends how the rest of the series plays out, before I can give a proper judgement.
Oct 12, 2021 1:20 PM

Dec 2015
Surprisingly good. Setting sounded interesting from the description but I had expected less. (A lot of just just try to have some interestin setting - but then are bad at other stuff. Story and c hars.) The chars were nice though. And interesting first episode. Liked the new guy (Daniel) and the XO (nice voice actor).
Oct 12, 2021 1:39 PM

Apr 2020
A very uncanny anime for me...I'm not saying it's outright terrible but um this is borderline shit. Almost all of the elements in this show barely hit decent, some are just flat and mediocre, and the CG..........yep not gonna fucking add to that, just look at what they say above me, I share the same sentiment.

The MC was kinda alright, he fits just as well to the dull background, but aside from Leslie, he is the only one that stands out in the crowd, because the rest that were introduced were so fucking invisible to me. Also some of the animation sequences are pretty bad, my god some of them are cringeworthy.

You know what, I'll give this anime just a slim chance because of its premise + story, the decent enough art backgrounds, and surprisingly the MC himself. But I think is the first time where I got myself watching a "dark fantasy hell", because even though it sounds interesting on the outside, looking in it is really just a low-bar show with a lack of redeeming qualities.
Oct 12, 2021 1:46 PM
Feb 2019
The face the MC makes when people ask him why he's there, I think that's the same face the writers made when the producers asked them why the MC is there there.

"....he...he wants to be a hero?..."

"Good enough for me, here's a million dollars!"

Absolute trash. Worst anime this season.
Oct 12, 2021 1:48 PM
Aug 2021
- they introduced many characters at once rushed straight into action
- cringe CGI
- bad character interactions, like they want MC to know everything without anyone telling him what is going, what to do or how to do it.
- Big boobs can´t be missing of course.

+ cinematography and shots looked good

droped

Oct 12, 2021 2:01 PM

Jun 2021
Not much of a story hook in the first episode, eh? Maybe these video game advertis-imes are too much even for Silver Link.

The only thing outright bad was the poor monster CGI, but, honestly, the only thing that's got me somewhat interested is that the MC is named Daniel. Not too often do I get to share a name with an anime MC, lol.
Oct 12, 2021 2:01 PM

Apr 2020
I've got Made in Abyss Vibes....for like half a second.

But this first Episode turned out as interesting as the obligatory, lame Tutorial Fight from an unknown, forgotten Ps1-JRPG

I love how they not even tried to give our MC a decent motivation, this time. Safe someone? Maybe he's got a dark past or an old, injured Granny somewhere home?. Does he want to explore, help or do good?

- > Nah, fk it. He just wants to be a hero xD
For what reason? Fame? Money? Good Person? Nah, fk that, too. Just a Hero.

Made me giggle.
Looks like this will be my bad Anime of the Season Im seeing through.

Oct 12, 2021 2:15 PM

Mar 2018
Truly seamless CGI. That monster was so hilariously bad it grew to be the best part of this episode. I'm gonna keep watching with hope they made more designs like this.
Oct 12, 2021 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
Not a good start so far for this show, and I have a feeling it won't get much better than this lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 12, 2021 3:11 PM
Apr 2021
Well, I like this episode but CGI Monsters look so weird..
Oct 12, 2021 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
a very average show in terms of events and still has some pretty interesting stuff with the plot information.

But this episode overall was pretty average in terms of events and the very way the story was structured for this episode.
Oct 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Jul 2020
4/10

The trailer and synopsis had me expecting a journey into a strange world with a tone similar to Girls' Last Tour. I guess that was kind of my fault for not doing my research, but it was still disappointing. I'm dropping this seeies :/

Well, at least the ED was really good!

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Oct 12, 2021 3:55 PM

Jul 2017
damn well that was a quick zero to hero lmao. One second he didn't even know what to do and then next thing you know he's like joint best.

Now that doesn't bode well for the rest of the series if that's the case I presume. Doesn't help that the ED/OP has that generic anisong vibe to it either
Oct 12, 2021 4:16 PM
Sep 2019
Erotaku_ said:
Didn't find much appeal in episode 1

All the characters are boring, the enemy design looked cheap, and the story was pretty stagnant.

Maybe the fan of this series will enjoy this, but I'm not feeling it so far.

Yea I was looking forward to seeing it
But it was so boring
The characters were boring, the dialogue was boring even the soundtrack was low quality I’m not watching this anymore
Oct 12, 2021 4:18 PM
Sep 2019
Was looking forward to this
But just a boring episode
The characters have no appeal
The story was boring
The soundtrack sucked
Not watching this anymore
Oct 12, 2021 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
I'll rate the first episode 5/10 for now out of generosity but it was pretty bad. Looks nice though, I guess. With all the mysteries surrounding Antarctica though they could've come up with way better for a first episode... just going down there to fight random creatures minding their own business, really?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deep Insanity: The Lost Child Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2021

31 by RAGEkiller »»
Aug 27, 11:41 AM

» Why are people giving this a 10/10

ImFlyingFrog - Oct 17, 2021

26 by Piromysl »»
Jan 29, 10:12 AM

Poll: » Deep Insanity: The Lost Child Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2021

15 by Dawizz »»
Jun 1, 2023 9:40 AM

Poll: » Deep Insanity: The Lost Child Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2021

23 by Dawizz »»
Jun 1, 2023 9:24 AM

Poll: » Deep Insanity: The Lost Child Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2021

33 by NMGKeiji »»
Dec 8, 2022 12:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.