Forum Settings
Forums

What is exactly wrong with someone being a casual/normie anime fan?

New
Aug 25, 2021 3:39 PM

Oct 2018
You see people shit on others for being casuals when it comes to anime but their has never truly been an answer as to why they get shit.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 25, 2021 3:45 PM
Jun 2020
literally nothing. Self-proclaimed weebs are so lost in the anime sauce that they think casually enjoying the medium is wrong
Aug 25, 2021 3:47 PM
Jul 2021
Nothing's wrong with it. Infact those self proclaimed veteran weebs have simply watched loads of shitty shows. They think watching a lot of crap means their opinion is better.
Aug 25, 2021 3:53 PM

Oct 2020
imo theres nothing wrong. Only snobs care about that
Aug 25, 2021 3:55 PM

Nov 2018
That’s how society works. It’s all about flexing your status and looking down on those who you think are inferior to you (based on what shows you’ve seen)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Aug 25, 2021 3:56 PM

Jun 2016
Nothing. People just like to pretend they are unique and special which is why they hate fans of more mainstream entertainment and don't wanna be associated with them.
Normie has essentially turned into a taboo word in this community.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 25, 2021 4:03 PM
Jul 2016
By being on MAL, you're automatically self-filtering towards the kinds of people who care enough about anime to be posting on an anime forum, populated by anime nerdlords

So basically, some fandom dick-measuring is inevitable (albeit unhealthy), and I ignore it. Casual fandom is a necessary part of a healthy fandom ecosystem. Even anime fans who mostly watch accessible stuff Dragonball or HeroAca are still valid
Aug 25, 2021 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing. Enjoy your hobby and don't care about anyone else.

tteoki said:
literally nothing. Self-proclaimed weebs are so lost in the anime sauce that they think casually enjoying the medium is wrong

You guys are actually enjoying stuff? What is wrong here?
Aug 25, 2021 4:07 PM
Dec 2017
Its basically as what cjessop said big kids flexxing on those who they think they are better than in societal terms.

Aug 25, 2021 4:19 PM

Jul 2020
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. No one has to be a diehard fan to enjoy anime. Watch whatcha like when ya can.
Aug 25, 2021 4:25 PM

Jul 2019
There's nothing wrong, in fact, it's extremely ironic when you look at how the community actually works.

I'm honestly more interested as to why some anime like LOGH, NGE, <elitist title> are even considered elitist titles. I'd say Samurai Flamenco and the bottom 100 are more deeper lol.
Aug 25, 2021 4:30 PM

Apr 2018
I see more normie fans raiding other people's profile, than someone complaining about them though :0
Aug 25, 2021 4:46 PM

Sep 2020
When they start to shitpost everywhere that certain popular anime is a masterpiece. Being a casual is not the problem, is the attitude than many of them have. And, as a consequence, the rest also recieve this bad reputation.
Aug 25, 2021 5:13 PM

Aug 2009
That's only an issue for the basement dwellers.

Aug 25, 2021 5:24 PM
Aug 2021
True. What's wrong for being normies/casual? We just want to enjoy our favorite anime.
Aug 25, 2021 5:27 PM

Sep 2008
a wise man once said "they enjoy what I do, but they do it the wrong way, and for the wrong reasons"
ι¦¬ιΉΏγ’γŸε€«η†γ€€ε…¨ιƒ¨γ‚¬γƒ©γ‚―γ‚Ώγ§
Aug 25, 2021 5:29 PM
Sep 2020
Anyone who shits on somebody for watching less anime than them is probably someone who makes anime their entire personality and they need to touch some grass
Aug 25, 2021 5:31 PM

Nov 2011
Nothing wrong with being a casual and admit that you have not watched many anime except for most popular and highest rated stuff in websites like MAL.
But it is annoying when this kind of people easily claim that anime they watched is the best ever or best in genre or peak fiction or whatever when they barely watched any. It will be more humble if they change their wording to "the best one I've ever seen imo".
And this is also applies to more experienced fans because no one has watched all anime and there is no objective best anime ever or whatever.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 25, 2021 5:54 PM

Mar 2021
Snobs, eilitism, immaturity. Any or all of these 3 things really.
Aug 25, 2021 6:14 PM

Jul 2021
There's nothing wrong with that but with people responses like; there are two different responses.
Let's say in anime discussion of Best/Worst anime of all time, and a casual/normie gives a every normal/generic answer. Now there are three kind of responses people make.
1. There are still better/worse than those.
2. You are a fucking normie/casual, calling something best & worst by only a watching anime.
3. YES.

Now who's right/wrong is different thing, it's just that they are easy to bash on with your own opinions and they'll eventually change their opinions too, after the discussion they had with others.
Aug 25, 2021 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
Some people are just attention seekers. It's not an easy thing to understand.
Aug 25, 2021 6:28 PM

Jul 2019
When I see that happening a lot of time it's because the casual is being ignorant while lecturing others at the same time. As for the rest they are unlucky and are being targeted because they haven't "seen enough" I guess.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 25, 2021 6:29 PM
Dec 2019
Those who like to hate on the so called "casual fan" or "normie" forget that they were once like that
Aug 25, 2021 6:35 PM

Jul 2021
I consider myself a casual anime watcher because I only watch during my free time and I don't get too obsessed about it. I only watch shows that interest me or ones that are easily accessible.

Regarding some people who think they are of higher social status just because they watch a lot of anime, I just ignore them and continue on with my life.
"Wise is the man who fights using a pen rather than a sword.

But, wiser is the man who knows when to fight using sword and when to fight using a pen."
Aug 25, 2021 6:39 PM

Jan 2020
Maybe weebs feels pathetic when someone with life enjoying anime and doesn't make anime his personality
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2021 6:43 PM

Dec 2018
There's literally nothing wrong with any of this, just like there's nothing wrong with being an insecure NPC who copies each other's favorite list including LoGH, Texh, Angel's Egg, GiTS, etc. The only difference is that I'm personally annoyed by insecure NPCs, and I will side with the inaccurately termed "normies" any day. This is what you'd call an irrational annoyance or even prejudice, and I honestly could not give less of a shit. I'd fuck with 'normies' any time, they're much cooler people.
. . .
Aug 25, 2021 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing and no one really gives a shit unless they're doing anything wrong such as shitting other people/works or being overly conscious to the point they make pointless threads and being too obnoxious.
Aug 25, 2021 9:09 PM

May 2009
_cjessop19_ said:
That’s how society works. It’s all about flexing your status and looking down on those who you think are inferior to you (based on what shows you’ve seen)
This is what explains the meme of crapping on casuals/normies. Well, this, plus the endless need to define oneself socially as more special/hipster/etc. than someone else.

To be fair, there are probably some fools who get really into one show (likely but not necessarily a popular one) and then think that they can "roll with the cool kids" because there's an anime club at their school or something. But they're in for a rude awakening when they discover that they don't know what other people are talking about and will likely embarrass themselves when they open their mouths. But it's a learning process.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 25, 2021 9:17 PM

Jul 2019
Nothing at the basis of it, but when they start being pretentious then there is something wrong.
Aug 25, 2021 9:18 PM

Jan 2020
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. As long as they enjoy what they're watching, good for them. Why do people shit on them though? Because they're judgmental snobs. I think some people see more value in themselves or their practices by putting others down or something.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Aug 25, 2021 9:30 PM

Jul 2012
There's no pressure to be an expert on everything you participate in. But there is no substitute when it comes to talking about anime to actually have watched it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not every opinion is equal.
Aug 25, 2021 9:52 PM

Jan 2020
Nothing inherently bad. But I think a lot of the hate comes from what they say and do

But personally I don't think anything is wrong

Aug 25, 2021 10:07 PM

Aug 2019
personally I don’t see why being new to anime is bad, we all were there at one point
Aug 25, 2021 10:23 PM

Mar 2021
Adimus_prime said:
You see people shit on others for being casuals when it comes to anime but their has never truly been an answer as to why they get shit.

I remember when I was in high school in the early 90's. If you weren't punk rock enough you weren't considered cool enough to hang out with certain niche. The same thing could be said about popularity in general in high school where if you weren't popular enough you weren't cool enough to hang out with the cool people.

There is a simple answer to this, for those who shit on others or look down at anyone is simply just juvenile when it comes to casual fandom.

There is nothing wrong with someone being a casual anime fan.
Aug 25, 2021 10:53 PM

Jun 2008
Nothing at all. Enjoy the anime you want. That's what really matters here anyway.
Aug 25, 2021 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
Dont take it out on casual fans. Send your letters of complaints to Netflix, Funimation, CR, YouTube influencers, Japanese producers for wrongly guiding casuals in the first place.
Aug 25, 2021 11:28 PM

Sep 2018
If someone told me "NGE isn't as good as people think, [insert 70s-80s mecha anime I haven't watched] is much better" I would respect that opinion. I won't know if I'll agree until I'll watch said anime, maybe I'll disagree, but there must be reason if someone thinks this way.

Now try saying the same thing to a normie about Attack on Titan. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect, basically.
Aug 26, 2021 12:08 AM

Oct 2008
I don't know what a casual anime watcher is. Can anyone describe one for me.
Aug 26, 2021 12:13 AM

Jun 2019
I'm a casual and I love trash anime. There's something wrong, but I won't fix it.
Aug 26, 2021 12:23 AM

Jan 2021
I'm more casual since I only started watching anime around the start of this year, so I've got nothing against it. I would never pressure anyone into watching more of something than they don't want to and most I encounter have different anime preferences which I'm fine with. I watch it at my own pace and that's good enough for me.
Aug 26, 2021 12:26 AM

Nov 2020
Nirinbo said:
If someone told me "NGE isn't as good as people think, [insert 70s-80s mecha anime I haven't watched] is much better" I would respect that opinion. I won't know if I'll agree until I'll watch said anime, maybe I'll disagree, but there must be reason if someone thinks this way.

Now try saying the same thing to a normie about Attack on Titan. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect, basically.
I'd say its not normies who will get triggered by your SnK example it would be the immature 13 y.o brats [not physically limited]. I have seen many normies who are cool with other people's opinion.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

Aug 26, 2021 12:27 AM

Jan 2021
There’s nothing wrong with being a casual fan tbh. You watch anime to enjoy, not fit in with others
Anime fan and enjoyer since 2017, but still searching for more well written and unpredictable anime cuz bruh I’ve been stuck in the shounen genre for a long time and I wanna explore more poopoo caca

Aug 26, 2021 12:27 AM

Jan 2021
There’s nothing wrong with being a casual fan tbh. You watch anime to enjoy, not fit in with others
Anime fan and enjoyer since 2017, but still searching for more well written and unpredictable anime cuz bruh I’ve been stuck in the shounen genre for a long time and I wanna explore more poopoo caca

Aug 26, 2021 12:33 AM

Aug 2020
Nothing, being a normie is a whole lot better than being an anime hater

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Aug 26, 2021 12:34 AM

Aug 2018
There’s nothing wrong with it. People just like using it as an insult to feel better about themselves and the time they invested in their hobby. Easy way to make yourself feel special and like you actually matter.
Aug 26, 2021 12:56 AM

Sep 2018
adnan_ said:
Nirinbo said:

I'd say its not normies who will get triggered by your SnK example it would be the immature 13 y.o brats [not physically limited]. I have seen many normies who are cool with other people's opinion.

Of course, in such a large category of people we will find every different kind of behaviour. I just noticed that the Dunning-Kruger effect also works for anime: the less you've watched, the more you think you know (= arrogantly thinking that your favourites are the best anime ever made). It's a generalization so there will always be many exceptions, but the Dunning-Kruger is a well-established cognitive bias.

Aug 26, 2021 1:02 AM

Nov 2020
Nirinbo said:
(= arrogantly thinking that your favourites are the best anime ever made).
This can be said exactly for the 'elitists' also. So the problem actually stems from arrogance not if they are experienced or inexperienced in this medium.

You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

Aug 26, 2021 1:03 AM

Jul 2014
Absolutely nothing. Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep, I guess.
Take care of yourself

Aug 26, 2021 1:07 AM
Jul 2018
Lmao Casuals can be sometimes harmless like my College Friends
But Internet Casuals can sometimes act like Antifa and preach their Gospel on how the only Anime they've watched is BEST it's really annoying and sometimes funny to encounter such people
Aug 26, 2021 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing's wrong with it. But for people who dislike casual anime fans then it's a yes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - 9 hours ago

20 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - 3 hours ago

17 by Anjuro »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - 9 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
6 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

17 by 8oomer »»
14 minutes ago

» Does the chairudo with your waifu take after you?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

3 by SgtBateMan »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.