Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 20, 2020 5:10 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thread made in advance to reduce the competition for the first post and reduce spoilers.
The thread will be unlocked at 00:38 (JST) This thread is now unlocked

Concerning spoilers: Please do not confirm a theory someone has or give hints about something that happens later on. Not everyone wants their theories confirmed or denied. If you want to do so, add a spoiler to your post and I mean the entire part where you confirm or deny a theory. If you bring arguments from past episodes, you don't have to add spoiler tags. Continuously spoiling future events in an anime can be seen as trolling and can result in a warning or a ban.

A reminder of some rules:
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • If you absolutely need to make a reference to the LN, manga, WN or something that might happen in future episodes, use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

• Do not only post something like "good episode". Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.
  • Do not resort to abuse or trolling.

You can find the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules here.
anime-primeDec 20, 2020 7:38 AM
Dec 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Jul 2019
watching the anime, like I was reading the manga. bruh, rip raw.

great flashback to when it all happened. iirc I think Reiner and Annie were just questioning what they should with their power.

armored cgi was kinda strange, I missed the change to sc that.

Apr 2020
The childhood of Reiner, Annie and Bertolt! and finally get to see an anime adaptation of how Bertolt destroys a wall in Season 1

Jan 2009
more Annie screen time is always welcome
the suicide scene of Reiner was done good enough

the female titan and colossal titan do not have 3D models yet eh

and nice static frame drawing of you know who

Jul 2020
THE FRICKIN HOBO GODDAMNIT
Dec 20, 2020 7:39 AM
Feb 2018
Those first 5 minutes were BEAUTIFUL visually. Oh my god. I loved this episode sooo much. I love Reiner soo much. Great flashback. Next week is going to be insane. Can't wait.

Nov 2011
Aye, more storytelling on Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt. For all three characters, I still find Annie to be the most realistic, at least when the way she reacts to certain situations.

I also find Reiner's scenes interesting when he returned to his hometown and the family relationship involving him and his mother. Every character has a motivation in this show for something, and Reiner is no exception.

Sep 2014
Fast pacing again. But I actually liked the episode. Maybe we will revisit some of the stuff later but doubt it. The only thing that felt a bit iffy was Reiner's suicide attempt. I feel like the music choice was rather poor. Even the marley arc in 5 minutes video used a more fitting track, and that one was a meme lol
May 2020
It was rushed, but what can Mappa do about it. Rip
Dec 20, 2020 7:40 AM
Jun 2016
Damn, the pacing was rushed as f. Not bad and didn't skip anything too important, still not great.

Solid episode
Dec 20, 2020 7:40 AM

Jul 2019
deg said:
more Annie screen time is always welcome[/img]

have this Female Titan pic if you want
Dec 20, 2020 7:41 AM

Jan 2018
Damn I really loved this episode, it's mainly about Reiner, Annie and Berthold which I really enjoyed since we got to see their past and all. Especially when we got to see Berthold destroying the wall way back in season 1.
And we finally got to see Eren and Falco together which got me all hyped up for next episode!

Sep 2019
Annie's scene with Ackerman was great. Reiner's words hit different now.

Apr 2019
My first impression looking at the raw,

It didn't feel smooth since they cut lots of panels ,
i don't have many complaints ,I wish we ever got an adaptation like S1. Mappa doing good but clearly I'm not seeing any reasons to adapt 32 chapters in 16 episodes....

Isayama,that guy has little faith in his own works,sad!

Oct 2017
Finally we saw Reiner, Bertold and Annie flashback that was great. And the oscar for best acting goes to
Dec 20, 2020 7:42 AM

Jul 2012
So more backstory during that day for those 3. I've missed Annie and her kicks. But EREN!? Yes destroy them all!

Sep 2016
Damn they really jam-packed a lot of content into this 1 episode. If you want to know what you missed, read ch 94-97
Jul 2016
Overall great episode though Reiner’s backstory could be handled better but still solid afterall
Dec 20, 2020 7:43 AM

Jan 2018
Annie and Bertholt's 2D titans were gorgeous, you can see how amazing it could have been if Mappa had the time with an healthy production...Great episode nevertheless, the manga readers purists are going to whine about the cut parts but most people will enjoy the episode.

HOBO

4/5
SoukaTheRealDec 20, 2020 7:56 AM
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Dec 20, 2020 7:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, that was intense! Isayama-sensei said this episode was going to be glorious and it certainly was just about that. Progression this episode felt a little up on the pace meter though, I wonder if they adapted a little bit more this episode as compared to the previous two episodes.

Reiner changing from a spunky little kid in contrast to his current suicidal self was pretty well explored, in my opinion. Also, the truth regarding Reiner's ascendance to the Armoured Titan user is out too! Coupled with that scene of his father's rejection, you just got to feel for him.

Annie nearly beating the life out of him and Bertholt speechless after what just followed in Marco's demise was tough to bear, honestly.

Good news for some of the people concerned about the animation quality and the use of CG in particular, we have 2D titans this episode. Rest assured.

And finally, Eren is finally here! Talking to Falco and attempting to strike reason with him but I wonder why.

Edit: Yup, turns out this episode did adapt more content after all. I've mixed feelings over that but hey, the episode was still pretty darn good.
_MushiRock11_Dec 20, 2020 7:47 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 20, 2020 7:44 AM

Jul 2017
I've got quite a bit to say regarding Reiner's backstory, but I think I'll keep that for the other thread.

Hobo hits real different animated. Holy shit that was glorious!

Edit: I'll just add it here. The cutting and rushing seems necessary for the rest of part 1, so I can't complain too much with what was sacrificed here. My only complaints is the titan chasing being taken out, as well as the much needed context for Annie's spying activity. They kept the rest of the essentials, which I'm glad for. I don't know why they didn't cut the OP or ED for this episode to do more, as it would have definitely helped A LOT lol
AttackonfillerDec 20, 2020 6:49 PM

Dec 20, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2020
Shirase-san said:
The childhood of Reiner, Annie and Bertolt! and finally get to see an anime adaptation of how Bertolt destroys a wall in Season 1

Yes and you are supposed to realize that . It isn't a spoiler .

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Dec 20, 2020 7:46 AM

Oct 2013
armchair3 said:
It was rushed, but what can Mappa do about it. Rip

Nothing of importance was skip, I love, Isayama loves it and most people love it. The only part that felt a bit too fast was the invasion scene when they attack the walls other than that excellent episode

VanishingKira said:
There's suicidal Reiner. We've been waiting.

Most of this ep was just the warrior past when they were younger. Yuki Kaiji speaking to Falco kind of ruins the surprise for anime onlys (most of them are probably aware already anyways).

Anne need to learn how to step on someone gently,cause Reiner got his ass beat.

I think they purposely put this scene at the ending, because they are expecting anime only to figure out it was Eren. I think this is suppsoe to be a oh shit moment at the end.

NakolHira said:
My first impression looking at the raw,

It didn't feel smooth since they cut lots of panels ,
i don't have many complaints ,I wish we ever got an adaptation like S1. Mappa doing good but clearly I'm not seeing any reasons to adapt 32 chapters in 16 episodes....

Isayama,that guy has little faith in his own works,sad!

Again, nothing of importance was lost, sure a little extra scenes would have helped but they have only 16 episodes to work with and lol Isayama loves the episode.

This is not as fast as season 3 part 1, you should be happy about that at least.
keragammingDec 20, 2020 7:51 AM
Dec 20, 2020 7:47 AM

Oct 2020
Really fast paced, but it's a flashback jumping around so I think it works with it. I'm extremely pleased with what they cut too. The animation was great but I kind of miss the over the top one of episode 2 already lol. Hobo Eren at the end looked great.
Dec 20, 2020 7:52 AM
Apr 2019
That was great! The only thing I really miss are the moments before the wall breach.
solid 9/10
Dec 20, 2020 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Since they had to cut some scenes due to schedule (c'mon producers, who thought 32 chapters in 16 episodes would be good for AoT?) cutting scenes from these parts are the best decision

I don't want any cut in War for Paradis arc
Dec 20, 2020 7:53 AM

May 2018
Shirase-san said:

Dec 20, 2020 7:56 AM
Aug 2020
Mappa snapped in this one like wow.The directing of this episode was so good! Some stuff were cut which was to be expected but damn this literally felt like a minute.
Hopefully this level of directing remain consistent for rest of the season.

Wonder how anime onlies will react to warriors and especially reiner after watching this ep.
Dec 20, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
SethBigBoss said:
Annie and Bertholt's 2D titans were gorgeous, you can see how amazing it could have been if Mappa had the time with an healthy production...Great episode nevertheless, the manga readers purists are going to whine about the cut parts but most people will enjoy the episode.

HOBO

The 2D designs for them really surprised me. Didn't think MAPPA could do them that sexy lol

Dec 20, 2020 8:01 AM

May 2020
Shirase-san said:

just u wait for next ep
it will be freaking lit hahaha
Dec 20, 2020 8:01 AM

Oct 2020
About to go rewatch it. :)
Dec 20, 2020 8:05 AM

Nov 2016
Great flashback, Reiner imo the most interesting character in this series.

And finally, the main character is officially here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 20, 2020 8:05 AM

May 2020
Great episode overall even though it was a bit fast . I really liked how they presented the titan fashion show . BEST BOI HOBO EREN IS HEEEREE .

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Dec 20, 2020 8:07 AM
Mar 2020
10/10 ep yes it was a bit too fast for me but it was rlly good regardless and I don’t think the anime onlys should have a problem with it
Dec 20, 2020 8:09 AM
Nov 2020
This ep was a solid 9/10 for me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this but for me the ep felt abit stiff. Directing and storyboarding was rly good but I felt like this ep didn't have much actual animation. In the beginning when they were showing of titans, close ups to beast, cart was meh, It was just a still for beast which could've easily been handrawn but cart opening mouth in CG was meh. Then after, when ymir was coming out from the ground, there was just too many stills. And when reiner destoryed walls and they had CG closeup it was abit odd. But this is all just me nitpicking, it was abit fast paced but still not that bad. On the other hand the second half of the ep was amazing, especially reiner suicide attempt and onwards
Dec 20, 2020 8:12 AM

Oct 2020
Krugerman said:
This ep was a solid 9/10 for me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this but for me the ep felt abit stiff. Directing and storyboarding was rly good but I felt like this ep didn't have much actual animation. In the beginning when they were showing of titans, close ups to beast, cart was meh, It was just a still for beast which could've easily been handrawn but cart opening mouth in CG was meh. Then after, when ymir was coming out from the ground, there was just too many stills. And when reiner destoryed walls and they had CG closeup it was abit odd. But this is all just me nitpicking, it was abit fast paced but still not that bad. On the other hand the second half of the ep was amazing, especially reiner suicide attempt and onwards
I thought the same but I think it was just noticeable because of the last week's episode having too much animation.
Dec 20, 2020 8:13 AM
Dec 2020
all the cuttings were acceptable, [Spoiler] Just the scene with annie, reiner and bertholdt running to wall maria (Shiganshina) is a pity, I think it wouldve been better if they skipped the op or ed instead of that scene
Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue
Dec 20, 2020 8:13 AM
Nov 2020
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Krugerman said:
I thought the same but I think it was just noticeable because of the last week's episode having too much animation.

oh yeah fr, ep 2 was amazingly animated that could be a major reason why this ep felt a bit stiff but I rly wished they drew stills as 2D at least
Dec 20, 2020 8:15 AM

May 2020
Krugerman said:
I had the exact same issues as well . I don't really think thats nitpicking .

Dec 20, 2020 8:23 AM

Sep 2016
Krugerman said:
This ep was a solid 9/10 for me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this but for me the ep felt abit stiff. Directing and storyboarding was rly good but I felt like this ep didn't have much actual animation. In the beginning when they were showing of titans, close ups to beast, cart was meh, It was just a still for beast which could've easily been handrawn but cart opening mouth in CG was meh. Then after, when ymir was coming out from the ground, there was just too many stills. And when reiner destoryed walls and they had CG closeup it was abit odd. But this is all just me nitpicking, it was abit fast paced but still not that bad. On the other hand the second half of the ep was amazing, especially Reiner suicide attempt and onwards

Reiners close up looked odd to me too. I think it was because of the different lighting done on the armored between WIT and MAPPA. I also wish the made the armored more beefy to give weight.
Dec 20, 2020 8:25 AM
May 2017
Such a great ep omg I think they had serious problems with color designs and combined with that awful compositing it feels really wierd but overall it didn't bother me thhe only thing that bothered me is reiner titan it is literally a still shot why the fuck didn't they just draw it ,hobo scene is solid it is soo good and the gore omg it is so good.
Dec 20, 2020 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
After being disappointed for two episodes straight, this one got me impressed. The animation and pacing are on point. Enjoyed every moment of it. A solid 9/10 from me.
Dec 20, 2020 8:28 AM

Jan 2009
Krugerman said:

its has stiff animation as episode 1 its just episode 2 is an anomaly due to the director of it is known lover of rotoscoping
Dec 20, 2020 8:29 AM
Dec 2015
10/10, aot episode always different direction from manga but still same point
Dec 20, 2020 8:29 AM

Jul 2012
LMAO, THEY MUST HAVE DONE THIS ON PURPOSE, THERE'S NO OTHER WAY.

Based Isayama requesting his office's poster as an end-card HUEEEE

5/5 for that alone.

Also, great adaptation and didn't skip a single relevant thing like everybody thought it would be. It was obvious they wouldn't skip this, c'mon now, they just changed order for storytelling reasons, Wit Studio does that since EP2 of Season 1.

Pacing is going quite nicely as usual, I was expecting it to cover just a tad bit more, even, comparing with the manga pages every week side by side (there's another good stopping point just ahead of this, but this is a nice one, too).
Dec 20, 2020 8:30 AM

Oct 2013
Krugerman said:

I think though in this episode the complaints wont be as big compare to the previous 2 episodes especially episode 2 since we got no rotoscope/ bad fps frames in this episode.

imo this looked like the best episode visually, they weren't as ambitious as episode 2 with the camera work etc, but instead they took it simple like how Wit studio would and that was successful for them. Sometimes simple is better than being ambitious and falling on your face like episode 2 in some scenes where it was jarrinng.

And because they took it simple this episode, I doubt we will be seeing the complaints we got in the last episode.
Dec 20, 2020 8:32 AM
May 2020
Yeah, like other people said why don't just cut the OP or even ED too to make a time ?

Is there a contract or something that make it not possible
Dec 20, 2020 8:32 AM
Mar 2020
9/10 pretty fast paced ep, but I don't think they cut anything super important. My 2 little nitpick was the scenes transitions was kinda fast that the scenes barely gets to breathe and kinda bummed they used the trailer ost again even if its a remix lol.
Dec 20, 2020 8:35 AM

Oct 2013
ramy22 said:
Yeah, like other people said why don't just cut the OP or even ED too to make a time ?

Is there a contract or something that make it not possible

They probably didn't need to as to them those scenes were unnecessary. When the script writer writes the script it has to go through the producers, staff and most importantly Isayama they supervise it and say what they want and not want in the episode and then when an agreement is made, that is the end of it.

Isayama also love the episode, I think only the wall invasion part could be a bit longer.
Dec 20, 2020 8:37 AM
Oct 2018
So, those flashbacks they cut in the previous episode, all of them got adapted or some of them lost ?

Damn, i won't complain but i wanna complete adaptation :)
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

693 by Dakidhellsing »»
May 25, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 31, 2021

818 by SaimonIdk »»
May 21, 9:50 AM

» The one thing I dont understand now is, why WIT censored so much the violence?

MAQS - Dec 20, 2020

26 by SoughtLi »»
Apr 28, 7:26 PM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.