Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2020 3:36 AM
Apr 2020
Which of the two elements do you think impact a show more? The characters or the story?
I am not talking about genres where one is clearly more important than the other (like the 'slice of life' genre clearly favors good characters as there is little to no plot)
In more neutral grounds where neither has a general reason to shine over the other, which do you think affects your experience more, whether positively or negatively?
Also does either of these make or break a show for you as in you wouldn't watch it solely due to the absence of good characters or a good story?

PS: I have defined 'story' to include the world design and the setting for the purposes of this discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2020 3:37 AM

Feb 2013
characters usually always wins polls like this,,,
Jul 4, 2020 6:28 AM

Feb 2019
Both are important depending on what kind of anime it is.
Jul 4, 2020 6:29 AM

Dec 2016
Characters are the ones that carry a story
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jul 4, 2020 6:35 AM

Jan 2008
I look for both but it's the character that propels the story forward.

A badly written show can survive on good characters but a good written show can't survive with bad characters.
Jul 4, 2020 7:07 AM

Jul 2019
It's a catch-22. I don't think a story can be engaging without good characters, and I don't think characters can be developed well without a good story.
Jul 4, 2020 7:10 AM

Jun 2012
UberBat said:

A badly written show can survive on good characters but a good written show can't survive with bad characters.

If it has bad characters then it isn't well written.

Shoot first, think never.
Jul 4, 2020 7:22 AM

Apr 2018
Of course characters. I see the story as an idea or a concept, but characters are the one executing it.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

Jul 4, 2020 7:25 AM

Mar 2015
Imo it's easier for characters to carry a bad story, than for a story to carry bad characters.
Jul 4, 2020 7:30 AM

Apr 2016
Characters usually leave a bigger impact than the story on me, so I’d choose characters.
Jul 4, 2020 7:46 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
The anime can become totally useless due to noob mc who have fickle trait even though the story well written like Tenma, shinji, n ken kaneki

Jul 4, 2020 7:49 AM
Aug 2018
Characters coz i think they carry the show. Like even though there's some plot holes an anime can get hyped if there's a really interesting character
Jul 4, 2020 7:55 AM

Feb 2020
Enjoyment!!
If I'm enjoying it even tho its characters and story are Bad!! IDC bout' anything else.
Jul 4, 2020 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Both the characters and the story play an important role for me in my enjoyment of anime. However, if I were to choose one over the other, I would say characters play a very important role in my enjoyment of the story.
Jul 4, 2020 8:16 AM

Dec 2009
I think they can be equivalent, a good story can compesate bad characters and so does the oposite, the most recent experience of that for me it's the novels of The Wheel of Time from Robert Jordan/Brian Sanderson, the story is pretty interesting, but I absolutely abhor many of the main characters of the story, the story keeps me interested even when the characters does not.
Jul 4, 2020 8:20 AM

Apr 2020
Characters for sure. I can watch an anime with weak story but good characters.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jul 4, 2020 8:52 AM

Jan 2008
Haunt-bot said:
UberBat said:

If it has bad characters then it isn't well written.

ahh I should have said good plot rather then good writing.
Jul 4, 2020 8:54 AM

Sep 2017
characters, bc even when the story is kinda boring, they can actually make up the show less boring when the characters are really charming, interesting and colorfull :D
Jul 4, 2020 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
I've noticed that if I like the characters I'd easily sit through a lousy episode but if I'm meh about the characters I'll drop shows with apparently excellent plots. So there you go.
Jul 4, 2020 9:01 AM

Nov 2018
Characters all the way. As long as the character development is decent, i will be fine with it even if it's plot is shitty.
Jul 4, 2020 9:04 AM
Anime Emperor

Jan 2019
Depends on what the focus of the show is. I care if the show does well what it claims to do.

Positive examples - Attack on Titan focuses on story and world building and it's absolutely brilliant to me. I don't really mind that the characters are not special in any way, it doesn't degrade the amazing story. On the other hand, Oregairu focuses on character interactions and does an outstanding job while it doesn't really care about world building or an amazing and unique plot. Both anime are 10/10 to me.

Negative example - Monogatari claims to have one of the best, if not the best characterization in anime history, while to me the characters are simply mediocre and can be described with one sentence without losing any important information about them.
Jul 4, 2020 9:09 AM

May 2014
It depends for me. I would usually say the characters for a question like this, but when i think of a show like Attack on Titan for example, i don't really care too much about the characters as i do about the core story itself. The characters are just a vehicle for the story in that case.
Jul 4, 2020 9:14 AM

Jan 2019
Probably characters. Even with super good story, what's the point if the characters are boring or shit. Thankfully I've never seen something like that.
Jul 4, 2020 10:44 AM

Jun 2019
Definitely characters. I’d enjoy a great set of cast way more than a complex and well thought out story.
I feel like it’s because characters have souls whereas stories don’t? Like the characters have feelings, you have feelings, great you share something in common. But with story I’d just go “damn that kinda cool” and move on :/

Jul 4, 2020 10:50 AM

Dec 2016
a show can go relatively far with just a good plot, but it'll never become a masterpiece without a compelling character cast.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 4, 2020 10:50 AM
Jan 2019
The story makes the caracters I think
Jul 4, 2020 10:58 AM
Oct 2018
The characters are for me going to be the driving force i need to care for them then the story can happen like steins gate had interesting characters that are fleshed out and then its insane story
Jul 4, 2020 11:04 AM

Dec 2015
Even if we have a good story a character can destroy everything.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37436/Revisions?q=rev
Main Character, think he is the world itself, that he knows everything and is the strongest human in the world. But in the end he just a normal human with no power.

The way this character was written destroyed the whole show, even if I thought the story was interesting.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/80/Mobile_Suit_Gundam
It's way to hard for me to finish this show, as Amuro is one of the biggest pu**y's in the world.
He was okej in The Origin, but I have no clue what happend with him in Mobil Suit Gundam.
It will be hard to find someone more annoying.

Jul 4, 2020 11:07 AM

Jan 2019
I think characters are more important because if I don’t care about the characters then I am likely not going to care about the story, but if the story is crap, I can at least enjoy it if the characters are good.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 4, 2020 11:37 AM

Aug 2010
I think overall the story has more impact for me personally, but it's actually depends on the anime. If it's just an episodic slice of life comedy, the characters really carry the anime. However for most cases, when the anime has a clear plot, then the story would weigh more.
Jul 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Jan 2020
I personally think that the story and the characters, both are equally impactful.

Even if the story sucks, or isn't very unique or interesting, if the characters are very enjoyable, you will most likely keep watching the anime just because you're invested in the characters, you care about them, and really what happens to them in the end.

A great example of this would be Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, which I think is a somewhat neutral anime. Although the plot of this anime isn't unique or interesting in any way, the characters are really charming, entertaining, and delightful to watch, especially Ikki and Stella.

The same thing can be said about the characters. An anime with crappy characters can still be watchable if it has a decent plot and storyline. If the plot is properly executed and the pace of the story flows nicely, it will keep you interested in watching the anime till the end. Although you don't care about the characters, since you have great interest in the story, you will probably finish the entire show.
Jul 4, 2020 7:02 PM

Jan 2009
i like the story concepts more or plot themes are what i like first? but in terms of waifus and relating to the show then characters
Jul 4, 2020 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
The atmosphere, if the Anime doesn't have a great/unique atmosphere I immediately drop that Anime and never even list it.
Jul 4, 2020 9:07 PM

Sep 2014
The story is what I care the most for. The characters matter only if they are cute.
Jul 4, 2020 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
If something has bad characters then I won't care about the plot.
If something has bad plot and good characters then, at its best, will be dumb fun.
Jul 4, 2020 9:19 PM

Jan 2020
cythraul said:
Both are important depending on what kind of anime it is.

I completely agree with this. It completely differs based on what type of anime I'm watching. If it's a slice of life/drama anime, then I'll probably find the characters and their development more important than the actual story itself. Example: 3-Gatsu no Lion. Shogi (which is a big part of the story), to be honest, is not the most interesting thing but because the characters were so well developed, the anime became significantly better.

On the other hand, if we look at stuff like Overlord, the character development is definitely not as important as the actual story itself. Then again, though, the characters sort of go hand in hand with the story itself so I guess there's that argument.

Jul 4, 2020 9:22 PM

Sep 2013
Characters for me makes or breaks the show, even if the plot is bland or reused(i actually can easily tolerate isekai) as long as the character interaction is up my alley it'd still be a high calibre show in my book that's why there's a ton of slice of life 0 plot anime in my favorites(like wotakoi and daily lives of highschool boys) while i have many popular super good plot animes that i snoozed through
death604Jul 4, 2020 9:27 PM
Jul 4, 2020 10:19 PM

Oct 2017
I believe characters are more important because a good story is dependent on its good characters.
Aug 10, 2022 1:21 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
The story of course... characters can play their part . But a lame story with top characters just don't look so good in my view..

Aug 10, 2022 4:23 PM
Aug 2022
Story, ngl all characters are boring
Aug 11, 2022 4:13 AM

Feb 2018
since Japan cannot hardly-ever tell a proper story to save their life, (YMMV)
the characters had better be singularly strong in overall appeal, else we aren't going to be getting real far with this one at all...
Aug 11, 2022 4:17 AM

Sep 2020
Definitely characters, it's the second most important aspect for me in an anime series.
Aug 11, 2022 4:29 AM

Feb 2020
Characters are always the most important thing to me.
Aug 11, 2022 4:51 AM
Oct 2020
Characters for me. Take Mirai Nikki for example. The story is unique and better than most anime, I forced myself to finish it as I find Yuki and Yuno really annoying.

Dragon maid don't have this over the top story, it's just the daily life of peoples, yet the characters is good and entertaining to watch
Aug 11, 2022 5:19 AM

May 2020
I definitely have to go with characters, usually when an anime has a promising story but with characters that I don't like or don't give a damn then I don't give a damn about the anime itself. Some Battle Shounen like My Hero, Black Clover and Dragon Ball are the prime examples of that. But when it's otherwise or even better having both of them done right, then I'm very cool with. That's how I ended up loving shows like Yuru Camp△, Monster and Kaiji to death...

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Aug 11, 2022 5:35 AM

Feb 2020
My passion for anime favorites section is more than character favorite section which is synonyms to story and character grouping respectively. My first preference are kept at anime favorites while their corresponding character favorites were sacrificed in favour of second preference to prevent repeatation. Which basically indicates i like story more than characters
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 11, 2022 5:43 AM

Jul 2021
Depends on the type of anime it is. If it's like K-on, yes characters are more important. If it's like AoT then story and characters both are important.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 11, 2022 6:54 AM
Apr 2022
Depends on the show. Usually I watch for the characters.
Story normally forms around the characters.
Its kinda like Game of Thrones. Sean Bean died Ruined it for me.
Took me 4 years to pick up Game of Thrones to give it another try.
And season 2 didn't have many strong characters from Memory.
Aug 11, 2022 7:00 AM

Feb 2021
For me the story is more important than the characters, although you don't want to watch stupid behavior and empty characters. All is important.
Aug 11, 2022 11:07 AM
Oct 2019
Characters can make or break a story for me so if I had to pick I'd be that one but I appreciate both A LOT
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

18 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Wait, there is more? (anime that were connected to or had related entries that you didn't know about)

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

6 by Lucifrost »»
16 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

39 by LordGrim9987 »»
23 minutes ago

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 8 hours ago

10 by Brunilde »»
29 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - Yesterday

31 by Guilmon1 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.