Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2019 10:04 AM

Nov 2007
To the viewers:

EVERY TIME KAGUYA CALLS MIYUKI BY HIS NAME PLEASE REPLACE IT IN YOUR HEAD AS "PRESIDENT". THANKS!

How are these translators even get paid for the work they do? Do they have zero interest to look up the source material? It was supposed to be extremely important to keep it as "President".

Edit: Stroke out. This has been solved from Episode 2 onward so it looks like we are all set and good to go. No further discussion is needed and this thread can be locked. :)
shanimebibJan 19, 2019 10:25 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2019 10:22 AM
Oct 2018
90% of people watching this know what kaicho means. Sk whenever kaguya says kaicho they can just mentally replace the shirogane from sub to president.
Jan 12, 2019 10:26 AM

Dec 2013
Doesn't really matter.
You usually refer to someone either by his/her name, or "you". At least in English.

You weebs seem to have some flawed idea. Like always.
Jan 12, 2019 11:08 AM

Nov 2007
Kamiyan3991 said:

It matters. Kaguya calling him President is part of the plot. It may work being replaced by anything for others (e.g. for Chika, Yuu) but not for her which is why I said the translator would have done themselves a world of good had they gone and checked the source material.

And the naming convention in the translation is random. If Fujiwara is changed to Chika (like Kaguya says), then Shinomiya should have been replaced by Kaguya and Shirogane by Miyuki. But dumbfcuks will say "Doesn't really matter. At least in English".

Also, only numbskulls will have the mindset to call people weebs. Like always. :)

25NOVember said:
whenever kaguya says kaicho they can just mentally replace the shirogane from sub to president.

I guess that's the plan now.
Coronavirus.
Jan 12, 2019 11:11 AM

Sep 2011
yeah its pretty shitty they fucked that up, its going to cause alot of problems later down the line for episodes that have jokes based entirely around her only calling him president.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 12, 2019 11:19 AM

Nov 2007
JizzyHitler said:
yeah its pretty shitty they fucked that up, its going to cause alot of problems later down the line for episodes that have jokes based entirely around her only calling him president.

And that just scratches the surface of the problem.

Coronavirus.
Jan 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Dec 2014
It's nothing new in the sub world unfortunately, like translating -san to Mr. (ewww). Bad translations, personal interpretations (without having a clue about the context), or even worse changing the meaning of what chara are saying, is what made me give a try to raws and stick with those.

As that's not a valid alternative though, just ingore the sub text when they call each other in anime, as most of the time it's either onii/nee, sensei ecc. anyway; saves a lot of facepalms and cringe. That helped quite a bit.
Jan 12, 2019 11:46 AM

Mar 2012
I don't watch dub but the same thing happen with DxD having Issei call Rias by name instead of Buchou/President. Dub writer must not making research properly since that is most important plot point and a game changer one at that.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 12, 2019 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing new , plenty of animes just sub a title as the characters name instead of Big brother or president
Jan 12, 2019 12:38 PM

Jul 2014
I love it how everyone assumes the people translating and doing the subs have the time to do research to know that the ways the characters refer to each other is as important as it is, given that they probably have to work on multiple shows a season (and who's to say the anime will even include these chapters where the names do matter (which must come later as I remember nothing of the sort in the first two volumes)).

It is definitely weird that they actively ignore what the characters say (like Kaguya calling Chika "Fujiwara-san", though.
Jan 12, 2019 12:55 PM
Jan 2017
Atavistic said:
I love it how everyone assumes the people translating and doing the subs have the time to do research to know that the ways the characters refer to each other is as important as it is, given that they probably have to work on multiple shows a season (and who's to say the anime will even include these chapters where the names do matter (which must come later as I remember nothing of the sort in the first two volumes)).

It is definitely weird that they actively ignore what the characters say (like Kaguya calling Chika "Fujiwara-san", though.

They shouldn't be translating the series if they don't know about the series.
⦓ henry ヘンリー ⦔
Jan 12, 2019 1:05 PM

Oct 2018
This actually kind of annoys me as well. I hear her saying president, but am reading Shirogane. It’s not a huge deal but it is slightly distracting. Oh well, I loved this first episode and am really looking forward to the rest
Jan 12, 2019 1:26 PM

Aug 2014
Kamiyan3991 said:
At least in English.

Well good thing this is a work from Japan, eh?
Jan 12, 2019 1:40 PM
Aug 2011
So this series biggest progression is going to be Kaguya changing her nomenclature from 'president' to something more intimate?
Jan 12, 2019 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
stand said:
So this series biggest progression is going to be Kaguya changing her nomenclature from 'president' to something more intimate?
Nah the stuff we are referring to happened like 2 years ago and a bunch of shit has happened since, and even then the big first step in the progression happened a little whiles before what all of us are getting our panties into a twist over, the series has had alot going on development wise both romantic and not especially with one of the main characters ishigami, though if the anime is only 12 episodes its probably not going to reach much of the progression especially since its probably going to end like right before the status quo formula is broken and the series starts to have more in the way of a consistent continuity where as the start is mostly episodic.

If anyone really wants to know why this honorific is such a "big" deal, slight spoilers
JizzyHitlerJan 12, 2019 1:52 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 12, 2019 1:50 PM
Jul 2018
Also disliked "how cute" being changed but kind of expected that.

stand said:

Since it's 12 episodes don't expect much progression on the front of romance. For the manga yes there is progression on the front of romance and characters.
Jan 12, 2019 1:56 PM
Aug 2011
@JizzyHitler @Frostbytes
Ok thanks. I figured that's the case. Normal expectations with on-going manga at this point.
Okay and that spoiler makes sense.
Jan 12, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2011
stand said:
@JizzyHitler @Frostbytes
Ok thanks. I figured that's the case. Normal expectations with on-going manga at this point.
Okay and that spoiler makes sense.
No p, honestly im kind of expecting this series to cause a bit confusion just cause its evolved so much since it started that alot of people are gonna wonder what all the fuss is about even after it ends especially in regards to ishigami who is kind of only a punching bag character at the start of the series and not even all that prominent in screentime for it either but he changed probably the most out of anyone in the series.

Basically what im saying is, just go in expecting goofy hijinks for the anime, there will be small little moments but i really dont expect the anime to be getting to alot of the more substantial moments save for one which it will probably and better end on, its why i was really hoping for a 2 cour before this started.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 12, 2019 2:13 PM
Feb 2017
Is not even necessary that the translators know the source material. If she say 'president', why they have to change that? It doesn't make any sense.
Jan 12, 2019 2:21 PM

Sep 2011
dsalco said:
Is not even necessary that the translators know the source material. If she say 'president', why they have to change that? It doesn't make any sense.
The thing with translations is its less to directly translate everything and more to make it sound like it was written in English first, the problem there in lies is if your not familiar with what the original language is going for you can lose some of those little nuances,

The translators probably just though calling him the president sounded awkward, its a dumb decision but I'm just trying to explain their thought process

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 12, 2019 7:23 PM

Dec 2013
henry9960_ said:
Atavistic said:

They shouldn't be translating the series if they don't know about the series.

You actually should be grateful. I mean, Aniplex translators at least actually watch the show. Netflix translators don't even bother and translate straight from the transcription. Sometimes genders are all fucked up.

shanimebib said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

It matters. Kaguya calling him President is part of the plot.

In that case, they will change it later. It's quite common practice for Aniplex.
You need to watch it on official streaming though. I mean, rippers don't bother to update subs.
Kamiyan3991Jan 12, 2019 7:26 PM
Jan 13, 2019 12:44 AM

Mar 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Doesn't really matter.
You usually refer to someone either by his/her name, or "you". At least in English.

>It actually matters in terms of the plot
>in English
>It's set in Japan
>Proceeds to call out "weebs"

Idk if its just from your culture or you're just plain ignorant but don't people sometimes call people by their title like "President", "Captain", or "Coach" without saying their name. Kaguya explicitly calls Shirogane as "Kaichou" or "president" and it actually becomes really relevant as an entire chapter is dedicated to it.

Also calling out the translators is kinda overreacting since aside from "kaichou" everything else was fine. Just hope they change it in the future eps so the anime only viewers dont get confused once its brought up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2019 1:10 AM
Jan 2012
This...actually is kind of baffling. This isn't some untranslatable piece of conversation, even those unfamiliar with Japanese culture wouldn't be confused with it. Calling someone President instead of their name shows formality, despite the feelings they keep bottled up. That's the entire premise of the show, refusing to budge on their feelings.

I think the translators are so used to doing this for so many series that they're basically on autopilot and do this automatically whenever a term you rarely hear in western countries comes up (never hear a person call a student council member by their title over here, just their name).

It's not the biggest issue out there, but it's such an avoidable issue that I don't understand why it happened in the first place, or hasn't been corrected already
Jan 13, 2019 1:34 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
While it would be optimal, it's pretty unreasonable to expect translators to know the ins and outs of every single source material they translate. They're doing a job and I'd imagine they don't have the time to read multiple volumes of manga or light novels, or play entire games just for that.

That being said, they've certainly made a mistake here by subbing it with Shirogane instead of President. What makes it worse is that having "President" is perfectly sensible in English in itself, so it should've been avoidable. But in the end, it's just an honest, unknowing mistake that'll likely be edited. I think it's being overblown way too much as fans like to do (and yes, I read the manga, so I understand the significance).
Jan 13, 2019 2:01 AM

Dec 2013
Shymander said:
While it would be optimal, it's pretty unreasonable to expect translators to know the ins and outs of every single source material they translate. They're doing a job and I'd imagine they don't have the time to read multiple volumes of manga or light novels, or play entire games just for that.

That being said, they've certainly made a mistake here by subbing it with Shirogane instead of President. What makes it worse is that having "President" is perfectly sensible in English in itself, so it should've been avoidable. But in the end, it's just an honest, unknowing mistake that'll likely be edited. I think it's being overblown way too much as fans like to do (and yes, I read the manga, so I understand the significance).

TBH, people should be grateful to have subs. At all.
I mean, I have 4k Netflix subscription and I can't watch Kakegurui S2. Just like that.

Also, it was simple mistake that WILL get fixed.
It's not garbage like WWW Working or Occultic;Nine.
Jan 13, 2019 2:03 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
Kamiyan3991 said:
Shymander said:

TBH, people should be grateful to have subs. At all.
I mean, I have 4k Netflix subscription and I can't watch Kakegurui S2. Just like that.

The fact that they're available and so quickly after the original broadcast does go rather unappreciated. That doesn't fully excuse mistakes, but it should be taken into account when pointing fingers.
Jan 13, 2019 6:42 AM

Feb 2018
Yea it's pretty weird, considering it's even a minor plot point later in the manga.
Jan 13, 2019 7:14 AM

Oct 2008
I was going to come and bitch about this too, but it seems others have said everything I was going to say already.

Regardless, it really doesn't make any sense to change how the characters refer to each other because it makes perfect sense in English. In a formal setting (like this prep school is made out to be), it's not uncommon for people to refer to each other using their last names. Calling someone by their title instead of their name is perfectly fine too.

Sigh, this is what happens when people think they're above the material they're translating.
Jan 13, 2019 10:44 AM
Jan 2017
It’s pretty important to the plot, so I hope the fools over at CR fix that pronto. Glad the anime itself is so good tho, even if the subtitles are a bit of a botch job. I’ve read the entire manga up until now tho so at least I know what they’re really saying.
Jan 13, 2019 11:04 AM

May 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Doesn't really matter.

The subs are so obviously wrong that it's annoying. It's a legitimate complaint.

Jan 13, 2019 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
This is only the main issue I have with the translation honestly. In the manga they refer Shirogane as President, which... based on what I'm looking, yeah it's to be formal about the position they're at, in the moment at least.

It doesn't entirely ruin the series, and I still like it, but it can be seen as an actual issue down the line.
Jan 13, 2019 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
I wonder who you had to fuck to get that job as translator.
Jan 13, 2019 1:40 PM

Mar 2017
Yeah I agree. They even replace "Fujiwara-san" with "Chika" in the translation when Kaguya talks to her. Using first name totally changes the meaning. They should at least know that much.
How cute...
Jan 13, 2019 3:08 PM
Nov 2013
As a watcher not familiar with the source, thanks for the heads-up. I'd noticed "Fujiwara-san" being replaced, but didn't pick up on kaicho.

JizzyHitler said:
The thing with translations is its less to directly translate everything and more to make it sound like it was written in English first

It depends on the show, but more often than not it's not made to sound like it was written in English, rather than written by an American. As a non-American it's even weirder to encounter American cultural references in a Japanese work.
Jan 13, 2019 4:40 PM

Dec 2013
Minar-kyun said:
Yeah I agree. They even replace "Fujiwara-san" with "Chika" in the translation when Kaguya talks to her. Using first name totally changes the meaning. They should at least know that much.
How cute...

It's just western name order.
Stop nitpicking.
Jan 13, 2019 6:47 PM

Feb 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
Minar-kyun said:
How cute...

Stop nitpicking.

No, in Japan, using first name and surname is not about name order, but about formality. Some people don't want they were called by stranger with their first name. First name usually was used to calling just by family/lover/best friend. and also why just the translator Fujiwara-san just like what Kaguya said.
Jan 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Sep 2008
The solution is to stop giving money to these people and just pirate all your anime.
Jan 13, 2019 8:50 PM
Nov 2016
ohhhhh my fucking god, (filthy, and so am i) weebs participating in the war of TRUE TRANSLATION vs TRUE MEANING... pointless discussion.
Jan 14, 2019 4:20 AM

May 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Minar-kyun said:
How cute...

Stop nitpicking.

It's not a nitpick. That's what you're not understanding here. It's an actual issue and is irritating to have to read.

Jan 14, 2019 4:22 AM
Jan 2019
This is why I learned Japanese 3 years ago. Although, I do still have the reading capabilities of an elementary schooler....
Jan 14, 2019 5:10 AM

Sep 2016
Xplaaainz said:
This is why I learned Japanese 3 years ago. Although, I do still have the reading capabilities of an elementary schooler....
then you wouldn't be able to watch anime without subs. watching raw anime is far harder than reading raw manga.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 14, 2019 5:17 AM
Jan 2019
GangsterCat said:
Xplaaainz said:
then you wouldn't be able to watch anime without subs. watching raw anime is far harder than reading raw manga.

Nah, its actually easier (at least for me) to listen and understand than read. I only know about 400-500 Kanji, but I've been watching Anime for about 10 years now. I can understand 90% of an anime without subtitles, yet I can't read a Chapter of OPM without Jisho by my side.
Jan 14, 2019 6:41 AM
Apr 2016
It much worse on Ace Attorney. When someone call Naruhodo but the sub said Nick. I go watch dub if I want to hear English name.
Jan 14, 2019 8:36 AM

Jan 2009
Kamiyan3991 said:
Doesn't really matter.

But not in an anime which is not only located in an elite school in Japan, but where the way people are addressed are actually a relevant plot point later. It merely shows that the translator has not properly researched the show he was translating.

You seem to have a superiority complex. AND no clue about the show. Fix it.
Jan 14, 2019 7:27 PM

May 2009
ZodiarkCSR said:
It much worse on Ace Attorney. When someone call Naruhodo but the sub said Nick. I go watch dub if I want to hear English name.

You know there are 2 sub tracks? One with names like in western releases of games and one with Japanese names? You only need to watch on CR or download mkv instead streaming/DLing mp4 with hardsubs.
bastek66Jan 21, 2019 1:46 PM
Jan 15, 2019 4:52 PM

Mar 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Minar-kyun said:
How cute...

Stop nitpicking.

>"Just" western name order
>Different culture from Japan
when you're so ignorant on how just having a different setting will change the meaning of calling someone with their first, last name and honorifics.

Mentar said:
It merely shows that the translator has not properly researched the show he was translating.
I mean the issue itself isn't due to TL not reading the material mostly, its just an honest mistake of them taking liberty in using their given names due to western culture(which is honestly the main problem), they could've just left it as it is which is simpler and easier.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Apr 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
Doesn't really matter.

This is an anime where our MCs are literally calculating every single move and word that comes out of their mouth. In that context, the interpersonal difference between "shirogane" and "kaichou" actually matters a great deal, and the fact that the translators did not address this properly is pretty sloppy imo.
Jan 18, 2019 4:24 AM

Dec 2013
gadboyz said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Stop nitpicking.

No, in Japan, using first name and surname is not about name order, but about formality. Some people don't want they were called by stranger with their first name. First name usually was used to calling just by family/lover/best friend. and also why just the translator Fujiwara-san just like what Kaguya said.

Just proving my point. ^^

And TBH, it doesn't matter like 95% of the time.
Other than that, it's translatable.
Same thing happened in Durarara and I don't think anyone even noticed this.

Wasshio said:
This is only the main issue I have with the translation honestly. In the manga they refer Shirogane as President.

Not in the official English release.
Viz Media also uses "Shirogane".
Jan 18, 2019 8:23 AM
Jan 2018
Wait so crunchyroll roll tranlates president wrong. As long as Japan VA use kaicho then sure it will be fine for me . But yea crunchy roll need to sort out subs
Jan 18, 2019 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
gadboyz said:

Just proving my point. ^^

And TBH, it doesn't matter like 95% of the time.
Other than that, it's translatable.
Same thing happened in Durarara and I don't think anyone even noticed this.

Wasshio said:
This is only the main issue I have with the translation honestly. In the manga they refer Shirogane as President.

Not in the official English release.
Viz Media also uses "Shirogane".

I guess I should have rephrase in the beginning xP towards Kaguya of course.

MAYBE I have forgotten about that. Or Maybe I should have rephrased it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is it just me or do you guys also find fujiwara annoying?

FruitPunchBaka - Jun 2

43 by MUGIWARA_0001 »»
Jun 7, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Mar 30, 2019

479 by LuzNoceda »»
Jun 7, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2019

385 by Kaybel_YT »»
Jun 5, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2019

270 by Meriurin »»
Jun 2, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2019

207 by Meriurin »»
Jun 2, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.