Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2016 4:10 AM

May 2011
[Open Letter]
I, for one, am a female yuri/shoujo ai lover, feel free to speculate my gender (Why would I lie?). Given the fact that I realised my bisexuality just four years ago, I noticed that I personally preferred girls, however, taste in certain anime genres has no correlation to one's orientation.

But, I know plenty of girls who love yaoi and have not yet met a girl interested in a yuri/shoujo ai. I know a lot of guys that find yuri/lesbians a turn on.

Personally, I prefer yuri/shoujo ai as most of the time they are still figuring out their complicated feelings for the other person. Girls are relatively more touchy-feely and there is a fine line between friendship and love. Bend It Like Beckham(Movie/Musical) is a great example when two girls are extremely close to each that is mistaken as lesbian lovers. (Trust me I've been there...)

What are your opinions? Yaoi/Yuri for life?

Yours Faithfully,
A Retired Otaku.
ImmatureCookieApr 5, 2016 2:37 PM
Event, Game and Anime Reviews by a Retired Otaku.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2016 4:15 AM

Aug 2015
Not many. But I know some here on MAL >.>

Btw, I do know some guys who likes Yoai!
Apr 5, 2016 4:15 AM

Jan 2016
Can't really speak for anyone, as I am male (though I don't really mind yaoi, to be honest), but I do have a really good lesbian friend, who is extremely into Yuri anime, as well as my best friend's girlfriend, likes yuri anime.
So I can definitely say I know a few girls who like Yuri.
Apr 5, 2016 4:19 AM

Mar 2016
At first i preferred yuri cause i prefer girls but can't find any nice yuri anime so i'm started watching more yaoi and now i like both
Apr 5, 2016 4:26 AM

Jul 2015
I'm female yuri/shoujo ai lover as well. I've read hundreds of yuri/shoujo ai manga and watched just about all of the yuri anime I could get my hands on. Philosophia being one of my favorite yuri mangas ever.
My tongue is itchy...
Apr 5, 2016 4:29 AM

May 2011
EssentialTeacup said:
I'm female yuri/shoujo ai lover as well. I've read hundreds of yuri/shoujo ai manga and watched just about all of the yuri anime I could get my hands on. Philosophia being one of my favorite yuri mangas ever.

Oh, I remember reading that... One of the more saddest ones that I've read, I still can't get over it till this day
Apr 5, 2016 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
ImmatureCookie said:

Oh, I remember reading that... One of the more saddest ones that I've read, I still can't get over it till this day

It's incredibly sad, but its my favorite of Amano, Shuninta's works I've read(and I've read all that have been translated so far)
My tongue is itchy...
Apr 5, 2016 4:46 AM

May 2011
EssentialTeacup said:
ImmatureCookie said:

It's incredibly sad, but its my favorite of Amano, Shuninta's works I've read(and I've read all that have been translated so far)

I've read some of her other works but don't remember their names but my fave mangaka of Girl Friends is Morinaga, Milk...

Oh my gashh!!! You got "Their Story/Tamen De Gushi" by TanJiu as your pic....

It's the cutest thing I have ever encountered :3
Apr 5, 2016 4:56 AM

Nov 2015
I know girls (Straight girls) that like yuri from a romance aspect. I think that it would be easy for women to appreciate yuri because a lot of the time yuri focuses on the feminine, cutesy aspects of romance, which is also why I myself appreciate it. Its easy for people to misunderstand yuri due to its perceived oversexualization. A lot of yuri are just love stories that may contain sexual content but more often than not focus on romance.
Apr 5, 2016 5:01 AM

Apr 2015
ofc there are...lesbians,bisexuals,pansexuals...the question should probably be whether str8 girls like it,because most of the time i just see them acting like 2 girls kissing is the end of the world -_-
Apr 5, 2016 5:03 AM

May 2011
BoboSmrad said:
ofc there are...lesbians,bisexuals,pansexuals...the question should probably be whether str8 girls like it,because most of the time i just see them acting like 2 girls kissing is the end of the world -_-

On the other hand, I see straight girls who kiss other girls just for attention...
Apr 5, 2016 5:12 AM

Apr 2015
ImmatureCookie said:
BoboSmrad said:

On the other hand, I see straight girls who kiss other girls just for attention...

yeah,like when they kiss just to attract guys. i really wish girls wouldn't do that as a "joke" or whatever tbh
Apr 5, 2016 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
ImmatureCookie said:

Some like, some don't. I find yuri theme interesting (I'm straight guy)
but I certainly won't watch something just because / for the sake of this.
The only thing I'm jealous about is Reina and Kumiko friendship.
I mean it's just a friendship and shippers see it as yuri relationship.
Apr 5, 2016 6:12 AM

Jul 2015
kuuderu said:
ImmatureCookie said:

Some like, some don't. I find yuri theme interesting (I'm straight guy)
but I certainly won't watch something just because / for the sake of this.
The only thing I'm jealous about is Reina and Kumiko friendship.
I mean it's just a friendship and shippers see it as yuri relationship.

friends? ...... friends dont do that
the yuri bait here is over 9000
Apr 5, 2016 6:13 AM

Aug 2014
Yuri is made for female fans ................................ Reverse psychology
Apr 5, 2016 6:23 AM
Jul 2018

tragedydesu said:

friends? ...... friends dont do that
the yuri bait here is over 9000

You can interpret "this is a confession of love" as you want..
But you can't interpret "l love (specific person)" ambiguously.

removed-userApr 5, 2016 6:31 AM
Apr 5, 2016 6:26 AM

Apr 2014
Yes, why not? As long as it's not futanari then I'm okay with it.
Apr 5, 2016 6:31 AM

Apr 2013
KuuhakuDesu said:
I know some girls irl that are into shoujo ai. Most of them are lesbians.

Though it's not like these things are strictly related.

No, I don't think those girls are into that. Shoujo Ai means being sexually attractyed (with platonic love or NOT) toward little girls. It's not two girls loving each other, but gown up liking under-aged girls. And by grown up I don't especially mean women grown up. And shounen Ai is the same for under-aged boys. Some peoples here including DataYutaka already notified MAL's moderators of that huge mistake being made, but it wasn't changed in the database. Well whatever.

No matter the stance of MAL, peoples on western boards should be really careful with those terms lol. If you say to a japanese that you're into shoujo ai, this will NOT mean what you think it does. Do not complain if they look at you with disgust...

@ImmatureCookie @EssentialTeacup
Maybe you should read what I just wrote above as well.
ZefyrisApr 5, 2016 6:44 AM
Apr 5, 2016 6:49 AM

Jul 2014
My bf doesn't like me watching Yuri shows so I avoid it the most :))
Apr 5, 2016 6:56 AM

Apr 2013
KuuhakuDesu said:
Zefyris said:

No, I don't think those girls are into that. Shoujo Ai means being sexually attractyed (with platonic love or NOT) toward little girls. It's not two girls loving each other, but gown up liking under-aged girls. And shounen Ai is the same for under-aged boys. Some peoples here including DataYutaka already notified MAL's moderators of that huge mistake being made, but it wasn't changed in the database. Well whatever.

No matter the stance of MAL, peoples on western boards should be really careful with those terms lol. If you say to a japanese that you're into shoujo ai, this will NOT mean what you think it does. Do not complain if they look at you with disgust...

Well.. they like anime with shoujo ai tag. If shoujo ai means what you said or no, I don't really know, and I couldn't care less.

It's not our fault if these things don't seem to be well-explained, to begin with.

We won't go back now that this msitake have spread for like... 15 years? Even the japanese wikipedia on shoujo ai talk of the use in western country of the "word shoujo ai originally from japan as if it was meaning yuri instead".
I just think it's useful to know that while using "shoujo ai" in the "yuri" meaning is completely fine on western boards because everyone is on the same wavelength on this, this is a complete misunderstanding of the word and would bring you weird stares from Japanese. Saying that you like shoujo ai (especially without adding "manga") would be around as bad as saying "I like paedophilia" . Way to be misunderstood :).
Apr 5, 2016 7:18 AM

May 2015
She's not on here now, but a relatively famous user I used to talk to was a big fan of yuri despite being straight. I think a lot of straight girls read yuri comics in Japan too.
Apr 5, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
I'm pretty sure there are. I just don't know if they're rare or not...
Apr 5, 2016 8:00 AM
Jul 2015
Ive met yuri fangirls before and i dont think they are rare at all. Actually they make me feel weird because i dont like yuri and everyone else does.

Im a straight girl and to me yuri is kinda gross, i dont like seeing girls making out and groping other girls and i never watched/read any yuri or shoujo ai for that reason. Hell, even one of the reasons i dropped Code Geass was because the lesbian undertones. (not that i have something against lesbians is just not my thing)

But i do like yaoi a lot.
Apr 5, 2016 8:06 AM

Aug 2012
I got pretty addicted to yuri recently tho,even if before I kinda found that disgusting (as yaoi,and I still don't really like Yaoi).
I've some friends who like it too, and (with only an exception) they are all straight.

So yeah,there are girls that like yuri.

On a side note,I'm a bit disapointed that they don't do many Yuri anime,with the tooons of good material they have in manga/visual novel.
Apr 5, 2016 8:09 AM

Apr 2015
I'm a girl who enjoys watching yuri *raises hand*
Honestly, I actually prefer it over yaoi?

Girl Friends is one of my favourite manga ever tbh.
Apr 5, 2016 8:09 AM

Aug 2010
I personally love Yuri way more than Yaoi, I honestly didn't like yaoi at first but it became tolerable after awhile. When I first started reading manga the only thing I read was Yuri/Shoujo ai.
The Girl Friends manga is what got me hooked.

I'll watch or read shounen ai/yaoi every now and again, but it doesn't make smile like an idiot like shoujo ai/yuri does.
ChattyIntrovertApr 5, 2016 8:14 AM
Apr 5, 2016 8:16 AM

Jul 2010
When it comes to romance I don't care whether it's about bi, gay, lesb or straight relationships. I just expect it to be either entertaining or well done. Now as you are a shoujo ai/yuri lover....do you have some recommendations ?
Apr 5, 2016 8:23 AM

Jun 2014
I like yuri/shoujo-ai even more than yaoi/shounen-ai, but, even if I don't mind beeing with another girl, I prefer boys.
Apr 5, 2016 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
i'm a guy and yaoi is love, yaoi is life.
Apr 5, 2016 8:54 AM

Mar 2012
The Actual question is to ask if there are any guys who like Yaoi :P
Apr 5, 2016 8:57 AM

Jan 2015
I'm not a girl, but if I were...I would still like/love Yuri!!! Girl x Girl/ Woman x Woman relationship.....is the 2nd most beautiful thing in the world after ( Car racing and/or anime )
Apr 5, 2016 9:44 AM

Jun 2015
There are tons of straight girls who like yuri. What's interesting is that both yaoi and yuri are primarily aimed towards females. They're a subgenre of romance, and romance is typically focused on fluff rather than sexual content.
Apr 5, 2016 9:48 AM

Feb 2014
o/ *raises hand* both yuri and yaoi are okay in my eyes!
Apr 5, 2016 10:27 AM
Jan 2016
I also have some friends into yuri. But as far as I know females are less interested in that topic
Apr 5, 2016 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
@ImmatureCookie

I do not really feel like a bisexual person, i do like boys more ofc, but I love yuri and yaoi.

I just feel like some of these yuri romances have better romance (or storys) than "normal" romance animes in generell. For example, I was really fond by Citrus and Girlfriends.
Apr 5, 2016 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
@lady_freyja lol see this :3

ryukan said:

Wat...?
Apr 5, 2016 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
ImmatureCookie said:
Yaoi/Yuri for life?

Why, yes of course.
Yuri and Yaoi are the essences of life.

And like others said, the yuri genre was created aiming at girls and women (even straight). And there is still plenty of them today, even if there is also yuri aimed toward boys and men.

ImmatureCookie said:
EssentialTeacup said:

If Philosophia is really good, Maya's Funeral Procession is my fav yuri tragedy.

Mars no Kiss is also quite heavy.
YakuKikyo said:
When it comes to romance I don't care whether it's about bi, gay, lesb or straight relationships. I just expect it to be either entertaining or well done. Now as you are a shoujo ai/yuri lover....do you have some recommendations ?

Morinaga Milk's Girl Friends is the basic recommendation, since it is a cult classic.

Beside Morinaga, I also consider Takemiya Jin as a solid value. Omoi no Kakera is her main work.
Apr 5, 2016 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
With more girls and women into yuri, we can end war.
Apr 5, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2010
lady_freyja said:
Morinaga Milk's Girl Friends is the basic recommendation, since it is a cult classic.

Beside Morinaga, I also consider Takemiya Jin as a solid value. Omoi no Kakera is her main work.

Thanks, I added them. Anything worthy when it comes to Animes ?
Apr 5, 2016 11:17 AM

Sep 2015
For me neither tag makes me not watch/read.
Shoujo ai is cute I find. Things like Their Story etc are pretty cool. I haven't seen any hardcore yuri so can't say much on it, but I guess I'd like it. Yaoi/yuri usually tend to be better written than your average straight romances for some reason
Apr 5, 2016 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
ryukan said:

You traitor....it should be i'm a guy and yuri is love, yuri is life.
Apr 5, 2016 11:27 AM

Jul 2012
i'm pretty into any romance manga whether it's hetero or homo
i guess i prefer BL over GL bc more cuties, y'know?? plus more variety with storytelling

girl friends was real ugly, artstyle so i had to drop it
sry
Apr 5, 2016 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
lady_freyja said:

If Philosophia is really good, Maya's Funeral Procession is my fav yuri tragedy.

Mars no Kiss is also quite heavy.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to check out Maya no Souretsu, as I've read Mars no Kiss already.
My tongue is itchy...
Apr 5, 2016 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
YakuKikyo said:
Thanks, I added them. Anything worthy when it comes to Animes ?

Since you already watched Utena and gave it a "7", I would say "no" ?
Especially if you also gave a "5" at Maria-sama ga Miteru.

You can maybe try:
Sasameki Koto (a standard rom-com)
Aoi Hana (a slow-burn "realistic" romance)
Yuri Kuma Arashi (more akin to Utena, since it is by the same guy)

In general, yuri anime aren't that great…
Apr 5, 2016 12:37 PM

Jul 2010
@lady_freyja Well, thanks again.^^
Apr 5, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
Comic Yuri Hime is a yuri magazine that is primarily targeted at young adult women (josei). There was a version targeted at men called Comic Yuri Hime S, but it eventually got merged with the original magazine. I think this is reason enough to say that yuri is fairly popular among females.
Apr 5, 2016 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
AltoRoark said:
There are tons of straight girls who like yuri. What's interesting is that both yaoi and yuri are primarily aimed towards females. They're a subgenre of romance, and romance is typically focused on fluff rather than sexual content.

Eh really?
The only straight girl that I ever knew that liked yuri was a closet bisexual.

Honestly... I don't think there'd be many straight girls really like yuri.

Think about it like this. As a guy, ff there was a boys love anime that was as cute and fluffy as yuri, would you watch it for the boys love? Probably not. As a straight man that... hmmm... best word... disgust? would still be there.
TitanAnteusApr 5, 2016 1:44 PM
Apr 5, 2016 1:43 PM

Mar 2014
Yes

Yuri is good

But yaoi is even better
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 5, 2016 1:51 PM

Aug 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Yes

Yuri is good

But yaoi is even better

Lie above me.

Both terrible. We need more str8 things in this world tbf.
『パイル』| Twitter
Apr 5, 2016 1:52 PM

Mar 2014
I am sure there are people of all sexes who enjoy any kind of romance
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

65 by bucciest »»
2 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now?? ( 1 2 )

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

54 by bucciest »»
7 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

169 by FFandMMfan »»
8 minutes ago

» What is Ghibli's worst film? ( 1 2 3 )

snuzer - Mar 1, 2021

139 by bucciest »»
10 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - May 24

40 by LeonhartAugust »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.