Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2014 3:08 PM

Mar 2008
V4: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1236487&show=0

Please explain your choices and/or discuss other choices. This is not a simple listing thread. Listing posts will be deleted.

Secondly, trolling and insulting other users for whatever reason will not be tolerated. And lastly, trim quote towers and or spoil them when they're a full screen size.
CkanJan 17, 2015 1:12 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (68) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2014 11:30 PM

Jul 2013
Someone's gotta pop the cherry I dunno if I'm the man for the job because I don't find many things overrated that aren't repeated ad nauseum and I don't like treating underwatched as underrated but here we go (wow run on sentence). I'll try not to write a mini review I guess...

Patlabor 2 - underwatched/rated

Despite a generally positive reception in the anime world the Patlabor franchise is pretty much ignored on MAL. Though the same can be said for a lot of mecha, its name and brainchild(ren) carries enough weight that it still somewhat surprises me. While other entries in the franchise blended police drama, mostly realistic robots. and comedy together this movies goes full on serious politic thriller. I like to think this is the movie that set the groundwork for the type of stuff Mamoru Oshii would move onto with both GitS and Jin-Roh after this. The plot can be a bit slow, but is very realistic in its approach. The animation quality is off the charts and in my opinion (even if marginally) surpasses Akira and quite clearly bridges the gap between Akira and Ghost in the Shell in that regarded. The helicopter attack scene is especially an example of this. Sound wise it has some great voice acting and music that sets a good atmosphere throughout. I think it stands alone pretty well, but I'm inclined to recommend the franchise as a whole, but either way this doesn't get enough love.

If no one has anything to say about this specifically that's fine let's just stop being shy, friends >__>. The seal is broken your worries of fucking up the first post are over I have fucked it up myself.
Sep 20, 2014 4:26 AM

May 2013
Tanoshii Muumin Ikka (aka the Moomins) - Underwatched/rated

While fairly popular in Europe, the Moomins have been unable to break into the American mainstream, and is criminally underwatched on MAL. It's a show which's main demographic is kids, but there's something for everyone, because of it's quirky characters, masterfully constructed world, and the sheer variety in activites and trouble the Moomins and their friends get into. It's about the daily lives of the eponymous Moomins and the inhabitants of the Moomin valley. One episode they might help an invisible child become visible again, another they might go on a sailing trip to the Hattifatteners Island, another the Groke, nightmare fuel for every young child, might come visit the Moomin valley. The animation quality is decent, but nothing to write home about. The voice acting in the original Swedish dub is great (Moomin was animated in Japan but is based on Finnish author Tove Jansson's books, she was part of a Swedish speaking minority). The soundtrack is often very happy-go-lucky, but there are a few chill-inducing tracks (The Groke's theme comes to mind), and it can also become very soothing and give off Mushishi-vibes.

All in all, it is a great show that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Sep 20, 2014 7:32 AM

Sep 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
Tanoshii Muumin Ikka (aka the Moomins) - Underwatched/rated

While fairly popular in Europe, the Moomins have been unable to break into the American mainstream, and is criminally underwatched on MAL. It's a show which's main demographic is kids, but there's something for everyone, because of it's quirky characters, masterfully constructed world, and the sheer variety in activites and trouble the Moomins and their friends get into. It's about the daily lives of the eponymous Moomins and the inhabitants of the Moomin valley. One episode they might help an invisible child become visible again, another they might go on a sailing trip to the Hattifatteners Island, another the Groke, nightmare fuel for every young child, might come visit the Moomin valley. The animation quality is decent, but nothing to write home about. The voice acting in the original Swedish dub is great (Moomin was animated in Japan but is based on Finnish author Tove Jansson's books, she was part of a Swedish speaking minority). The soundtrack is often very happy-go-lucky, but there are a few chill-inducing tracks (The Groke's theme comes to mind), and it can also become very soothing and give off Mushishi-vibes.

All in all, it is a great show that can be enjoyed by everyone.

I'm vouching for this, yeah.
Sep 20, 2014 6:35 PM

Mar 2014
Sword Art Online is overrated
mclovinballzSep 20, 2014 6:39 PM
Sep 20, 2014 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
Well now that it's officially a club I won't horse around and just drop down underrated titles from time to time.

Underrated - Gad Guard

I'm really surprised by how under the radar it is with all of the veteran seiyuu that took part in it. It takes a seemingly cliche boy meets robot scenario and brings to life a story of its own. At times I forgot I was watching anime with how down to Earth it remained with what it was aiming for. It's not to say that it's mature or brilliant, but I like how it does deal with some thought provoking concepts and more adult oriented themes such as prostitution without stopping to focus on it.

I also love the jazzy ost and rundown city blues atmosphere that comes along with it.
Sep 21, 2014 1:53 PM

May 2013
mclovinballz said:
Sword Art Online is overrated

Do you have any reason why? Of course you don't, it's a masterpiece after all.
Sep 22, 2014 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
kokko is such a patriot championing his countries greatest export not named Teemu Selanne
Sep 22, 2014 1:58 PM
Nov 2013
Don't know if I'm the only one who felt that way, because the second season of Honey and Clover is rated higher than the first one, but I just couldn't get the hype behind it. Damn, sorry hipsters, if you complain about Clannad AS, how in the world you can say this is good? Same melodrama formula, sudden emotional explosions, stupid plot points for excessive drama everywhere, characters are pretty incoherent if you compare it to the first season, its pacing is so damn slow and unnecessary that I was literally sleeping at times. It seemed that they were trying to force every kind of thing, it got ridiculously dark and "mature", and abandoned the amazing formula of the glory first season. Extremely overrated. I gave a decent score, more for the dignity of the series and the great ending.
Sep 22, 2014 7:03 PM

Apr 2012
Kolnikov said:
Don't know if I'm the only one who felt that way, because the second season of Honey and Clover is rated higher than the first one, but I just couldn't get the hype behind it. Damn, sorry hipsters, if you complain about Clannad AS, how in the world you can say this is good? Same melodrama formula, sudden emotional explosions, stupid plot points for excessive drama everywhere, characters are pretty incoherent if you compare it to the first season, its pacing is so damn slow and unnecessary that I was literally sleeping at times. It seemed that they were trying to force every kind of thing, it got ridiculously dark and "mature", and abandoned the amazing formula of the glory first season. Extremely overrated. I gave a decent score, more for the dignity of the series and the great ending.

To be honest I don't remember much about s2 other than it provided a sense of closure between the unrequited loves that were the centerpiece of the story. I'll try for the sake of spurring some discussion.

tl/dr: I didn't like S2 Hagu very much.

The show was never excessively "dark" except the fact
so I disagree with this statement. Also comparing this show to Clannad AS is plain silly. I didn't even watch it, and i think it is absurd just by being spoiled by how the show ends. Also please elaborate on incoherent characters. I literally have nothing to work with here if you don't provide examples >_>, and I don't plan on doing a full rewatch in the near future lol
zzzeallySep 22, 2014 7:12 PM

Sep 22, 2014 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
Aldnoah.Zero underrated. The high-level trolling in that last episode is so under appreciated.
Sep 22, 2014 9:31 PM

Apr 2012
fst said:
Aldnoah.Zero underrated. The high-level trolling in that last episode is so under appreciated.

oh man i was simulwatching it with some cc members on skype and everyone was like :O........ That scene made me up my score of the show.

Sep 22, 2014 10:13 PM

May 2013
hybreezy said:
kokko is such a patriot championing his countries greatest export not named Teemu Selanne

At least people watch Finnish animu.

ᶜᵃᶰᵃᵈᵃ ᶦˢ ᶦʳʳᵉᶫᵉᵛᵃᶰᵗ
Sep 22, 2014 10:14 PM

Jul 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
hybreezy said:

At least people watch Finnish animu.

ᶜᵃᶰᵃᵈᵃ ᶦˢ ᶦʳʳᵉᶫᵉᵛᵃᶰᵗ

child please people love Reboot, Danny Phantom, and Totally Spies
Sep 22, 2014 10:17 PM

Mar 2008
Sep 23, 2014 5:04 AM

Mar 2008
I think I'd like to see more deaths of characters I actually care for (in anime). I suppose the 'caring' might be my issue here.
Sep 23, 2014 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
Now and Then is underrated.

Seriously it needs more praise. Needs to be more known.
Sep 23, 2014 10:38 AM
Nov 2013
Answering Zeally:

>it provided a sense of closure between the unrequited loves that were the centerpiece of the story

Sure, which was the reason for me to give a decent score. The conclusion is pretty great indeed. You see, I'm not talking about closure or the way they tied things together in the show. About that, the anime is good and successful

>so I disagree with this statement. Also comparing this show to Clannad AS is plain silly

I'm not comparing plot, characters and conclusion here. I'm comparing the way they execute things, how emotion is handled, and how they present plot surprises. Also, the pace feels somewhat similar, which is a negative point for me. Not that I don't like slow pacing, I really do. In fact, one of my favorites SoL is the master of slow pacing and relaxing atmosphere. But the problem here for me was boredom. I believe the whole stuff was somewhat unnecessary. They could end everything in a short OVA (maybe 3 or 4 episodes). Sensations felt faked almost the entire show, aside some moments with Morita that got some nice development.

Also, now this is very personal, my favorite character (Yuuta) got a extremely mediocre approach. After first season, even after all that glory development of his, I was still waiting for more presence of a new and more mature character. Turns out he got neglected. You already mentioned the Hagu role in this season, which was something very bad for me as well. As for Yamada, I don't think that thing is realistic and not premeditated. I've been through some similar problems, and I wasn't like that, crying and whining every fucking time. Sorry, but I was really annoyed by all that whine. And this comes from a person that like Shinji in NGE.

I love the first season, all that humor mixed with a soft and very well handled drama. All those messages with a lot of moral about life, that fucking amazing coming of age... I think it was the perfect formula for romance/drama/SOL. The second season just ruined everything in this sense for me, it wasn't entertaining the way it should be anymore.

Sorry, can't be more specific than this. I watched some time ago as well, and I don't remember exact scenes to give a better example of how I felt with the whole thing.
blankflatSep 23, 2014 10:43 AM
Sep 23, 2014 10:49 AM

Mar 2008
Zergneedsfood said:
Ckan said:
I think I'd like to see more deaths of characters I actually care for (in anime). I suppose the 'caring' might be my issue here.
Hahaha. Always seems like the big issue. I think there are quite a few of my favorite anime where I lose characters dear to my heart. ;___;

Try Katanagatari by the way Ckan, since we're on the topic. Not sure if it's your thing but it'd easily make top 10 anime for me. I lub it

Watching Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi after someone mentioned it. I feel like if the pacing wasn't so weird and the story feeling so disjointed it could actually be really good. Even so, I feel like people should give it a try. I think people might be turned off by the moe moe character looking from the cover, but it has an interesting concept that's really only hampered by how weirdly they tell the story. Give it three episodes, I'd say, since I think episode three hits home.
I mean, what's the point of a good character if you don't kill them before the end?

Katanagatari's great. I hardly remember a detail of it, but I always seem to drag myself into debates over the ending and such.
Kamisama Inai is actually something I'm planning to get around to 'soonish'. Soonish being anytime within the next two three years.

-Klad- said:

B-b-but the artstyle! Hideous.
Sep 23, 2014 12:04 PM

May 2013
-Klad- said:

Do you have any raisins why you think it is?
Sep 23, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
Not really. I think people who have seen Code Geass, the first episode of Ga Rei Zero, and read/watched GoT probably wouldn't say that it was high-level trolling.

I don't know about the others, but Code Geass never had any pretext of being anything other than what it was. When you have CLAMP character designs, you can't hide the camp.

Aldnoah was supposed to "surpass Gundam" or something. It's that sense of subtlety where you don't know that it's going to be like Guilty Crown until you're in too far to stop that makes it high level trolling.

Ckan said:
Totally Spies is about as anime as it gets.

It really is.

Zergneedsfood said:
Watching Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi after someone mentioned it. I feel like if the pacing wasn't so weird and the story feeling so disjointed it could actually be really good. Even so, I feel like people should give it a try. I think people might be turned off by the moe moe character looking from the cover, but it has an interesting concept that's really only hampered by how weirdly they tell the story. Give it three episodes, I'd say, since I think episode three hits home.

The pacing is awful and it's just all over the place, but it has interesting ideas and very nice visuals.
Sep 24, 2014 7:34 AM

Jan 2013
Ckan said:

B-b-but the artstyle! Hideous.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You are simply too good in deceieving people in the almighty internet! Can you teach me?

Don't judge a book by its cover, is what I'd say. But then I re-thought.
"What do you expect by a 99' anime"

kokkoderrisch said:
-Klad- said:

Do you have any raisins why you think it is?

Its still not top 200, or even higher.
Sep 24, 2014 9:16 AM
Mar 2013
nobunaga concerto is underrated. aside from a few pacing issues and badly animated action scenes I can't find anything wrong with it
Sep 24, 2014 9:26 AM

Jan 2013
JD2411 said:
nobunaga concerto is underrated. aside from a few pacing issues and badly animated action scenes I can't find anything wrong with it

I find the series with Concerto's theme pretty interesting, Nobunaga no Chef is also a manga with the same concept, it's fairly long to get an anime adaptation, but that hasn't been rumored yet, sadly =(
Sep 26, 2014 2:11 AM

May 2014
Aaand Zankyou no Trainwreck finished by indulging in sappy music and last minute deaths of our heroic bland protagonists. Meh...

Hanayamata is a solid moe drama if you want something from this season.

Nobunaga Concerto was too rushed for its own good, and I didn't get much of the delicious period drama :>

Glad to be back tho.
Sep 26, 2014 4:57 AM

Jun 2013
Meh, Now and Then had some really bad characters which completely destroyed any of the drama scenes. They felt like they were written for a kids series but the show dealt with mature themes causing it to feel disjointed and awkward.

Grave of the Fireflies is my go-to war tragedy.
Sep 26, 2014 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
FloatsBoats said:
Meh, Now and Then had some really bad characters which completely destroyed any of the drama scenes. They felt like they were written for a kids series but the show dealt with mature themes causing it to feel disjointed and awkward.

Now and Then's characters were realistic.. All of them except Shu. His existence was the light in the end of tunnel. He's just a shonen-like character, but I surprisingly enjoyed his character.
Sep 26, 2014 4:51 PM

May 2013
FloatsBoats said:

Grave of the Fireflies is overrated af. The MC is just badly written.
Sep 26, 2014 7:01 PM

Mar 2013
Unfortunately Hanayamata just doesn't do it for me.
Sep 28, 2014 1:09 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
shit when was this made? nice to see it back though
Sep 28, 2014 10:37 AM
Mar 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
FloatsBoats said:

>Not realising that the MC is a microcosm
Sep 29, 2014 10:45 AM

May 2013
JD2411 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

Are you implying that the Japanese would rather have their families killed than to swallow their pride? They're even more pathetic than I thought.
Sep 29, 2014 2:28 PM
Mar 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
JD2411 said:

Are you implying that the Japanese would rather have their families killed than to swallow their pride? They're even more pathetic than I thought.
that's the message the film is trying to convey. It's a criticism of Japanese attitudes and values during WW2.
Sep 29, 2014 8:38 PM

Mar 2013
I still haven't watched Grave of the Fireflies. I'm saving it for an occasion when I can watch it with a bunch of easily emotional people who don't realize what kind of film it is. I want to see how many of them cry, and then laugh at them for it.

There's nothing wrong about that, right?
Sep 29, 2014 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
fst said:
I still haven't watched Grave of the Fireflies. I'm saving it for an occasion when I can watch it with a bunch of easily emotional people who don't realize what kind of film it is. I want to see how many of them cry, and then laugh at them for it.

There's nothing wrong about that, right?

Nah, lol.
Sep 30, 2014 5:19 AM

Jul 2013
JD2411 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

that's the message the film is trying to convey. It's a criticism of Japanese attitudes and values during WW2.

You mean besides all the other Japanese people in the movie TELLING the MC to apologize? Or all the other Japanese people not being lazy and contributing to society? How can he symbolize an entire nation's attitude during WW2 when every other Japanese character in the movie isn't a lazy asshole. The movie fails in its attempt to convey any sort of logical message and all you're left with is an irredeemable douchebag main character.
Oct 1, 2014 4:22 AM

May 2014
New season has arrived and an already underrated title has appeared: Karen Senki!

MAL doesn't seem to understand what spectacle and cheesy action means, yet they love HS DxD for its ecchi harem jinks!
Oct 4, 2014 11:07 AM
Nov 2013
Lovely Complex a bit overrated I would say. I always hear it's one of the best teen romcom out there. Nothing amazing about it. Sometimes is not funny, too repetitive, and the male character is usually annoying and forced. Is extremely predictable as well. I always could say what would happen before the real scene. But overall is a nice watch, can be cute and funny sometimes, and the development is fine. But the conclusion is very dry. I don't regret watching it, but I was expecting more, more laughs and feels. It was just fine. Guess it will be difficult to find something like Hachimitsu to Clover and Toradora.
Oct 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Mar 2013
G-Reco can't even scrape a 7 rating while F/SN prologue is already knocking on the top 30 despite having a whole lot of nothing.

Why can't the love be shared >.>
Oct 7, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
We should all add obnoxious Gundam things to our names like those filthy F/SN "priests" to show them up
Oct 7, 2014 8:24 PM

Mar 2013
Sounds like a plan, but what do we add?
Oct 7, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2013
I have no idea >__>

also guarantee F/SN is jumping to the top ten ala Fairy Tail did after first episode airs
Oct 7, 2014 8:52 PM

Mar 2013
They're already knocking on top 30 though it may have broken through by now.

I suggest we all change our avatars to somebody getting Bright slapped as a comment on the madness of it all.
Oct 9, 2014 4:00 PM

Nov 2013
hybreezy said:
I have no idea >__>

also guarantee F/SN is jumping to the top ten ala Fairy Tail did after first episode airs

it was in the top 10 before it aired earlier this week lol
Oct 12, 2014 8:37 AM

Mar 2013
...so since pretty much everything has started airing now, what's underrated?

No point talking about what's the most overrated since F/SN wins that crown regardless of it's actual quality.
Oct 12, 2014 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
i felt obligated to give fsn a 10 from the animation alone :3

the hype is real. I wonder what the score is going to be when it finishes airing.

Oct 13, 2014 5:00 PM

Sep 2011
hybreezy said:
We should all add obnoxious Gundam things to our names like those filthy F/SN "priests" to show them up
id join in on that if it werent for the fact i wouldnt be able to control my tomino bitching

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 14, 2014 7:04 AM

Jun 2013
Koi Kaze is underrated and should really be watched if you want to experience an incest relationship that takes itself seriously. It's an eerily slow paced anime with a good portrayal of how differing from the norm affects peoples lives.
Oct 14, 2014 9:59 AM

May 2014
fst said:
GARO and Shingeki no Bahamut, hands down!

Karen Senki as stupid over the top CGI action, Inou Battle wa Nichijou for Chuunibyo with actual superpowers.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso for romance.
Selector Spread WIXOSS for more Mari Okadrama as in cute girls doing cute suffering with yuri.
Donten ni Warau if you've been missing Bleach.

Everything else I'm following out of curiosity mostly.
Oct 14, 2014 6:18 PM

Sep 2011
T3hSource said:
fst said:
GARO and Shingeki no Bahamut, hands down!
shingeki thankfully is getting some love here(though sadly it looks like the oppossite in japan where it matters) but i think garo needs more love, its a really fun series so far and its definetly got the potential to be A: a really fun adventure and B: an actually interesting storyline especially cause i really love the whole fall of royalty due to corruption type stories and cant wait to see how the story progresses when the 2 mains meet the prince, Also god damn is herman just the definition of cool

shingeki (unsurprisingly) is gonna be a 1 cour series and that one will probably work out fine with the shorter length, but garo i really hope is a 2 cour cause i see alot of potential in the story that probably cant be completed in a shorter time

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (68) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.25: ded and forgotten

Botato - May 8, 2022

35 by Botato »»
Apr 29, 1:53 PM

» If you could get every regular in the club to watch one anime of your choosing, what would you pick and why?

TripleSRank - Apr 8, 2017

45 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 2, 2023 5:02 AM

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.24: ded but not forgotten ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paulo27 - Mar 10, 2018

9992 by Botato »»
May 10, 2022 10:54 AM

Sticky: » An Important Announcement To Lurkers

Kokko - Mar 15, 2015

30 by LeonhartAugust »»
Dec 27, 2018 8:16 PM

Sticky: » [OFFICIAL] O/U Simulwatch/read thread

Ckan - Oct 3, 2016

41 by LeonhartAugust »»
Dec 27, 2018 8:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.