Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 16, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
Alright guys. This has been a question I've been pondering for a long time now: Do haters hate the anime itself or the popularity it gets? No Game No Life was good. It had scenes that make you think, humorous moments, an interesting set of characters, a unique animation style, and an enjoyable soundtrack. For those reasons, people started giving it a score of 10 as soon as it started airing and were constantly talking about it.

As soon as that started happening, people started giving it lower scores, like 4 and lower. This is the same thing that happened with Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, The Future Diary, etc. There were always people giving it super low scores despite the pros. It seemed like they were only focusing on the negatives.

My overall question then, do haters rate the anime low because of the hype it's been getting, or do they honestly hate it?

I get there are people that dislike it because they didn't enjoy watching it, but I feel like a majority of the people hate on it just because of the popularity it gets.

Opinions?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 16, 2014 2:34 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Why in the name of all that is holy is there another hate questioning thread. Please stop making these. It'd be better for all of us.
Jul 16, 2014 2:35 PM

Dec 2012
If they are haters, then the hype.

Many people are the type that hate the popularity, more than the actual thing surrounded by the popularity, so they take their hate on it, and it's fans.
Jul 16, 2014 2:37 PM

May 2014
I don't hate the show per se since I did enjoy it,but I hate what it represents, as well as the fandom of course.
Jul 16, 2014 2:39 PM

Feb 2014
NGNL is a show that pretends to be clever. What may seem thought provoking is actually just bullshit the creators came up with.
But I found it to be fairly entertaining.
Jul 16, 2014 2:46 PM

Jul 2014
I'd say it's the hype.

Sometimes I even hate the hype.
I hate the show Kill La Kill, and I refuse to watch it.
Jul 16, 2014 2:49 PM

Aug 2013
Nerveri said:
NGNL is a show that pretends to be clever. What may seem thought provoking is actually just bullshit the creators came up with.
But I found it to be fairly entertaining.

Exactly.

As much as i don't consider myself a hater of the show per se, the fact that it has a better score than shows like Shinsekai or LB Refrain is revolting.
Jul 16, 2014 4:10 PM

Jan 2009
Who cares.

If you don't like hate topics/posts just ignore them.
I'm just a big visual novel fan but have also watched quite a bit of anime and played a bunch of games. Avatar is Mashiro from Making*Lovers and Kotori from Rewrite.
Jul 16, 2014 4:11 PM
Aug 2011
I hate both.
Jul 16, 2014 4:15 PM
Aug 2012
parfaited said:
I hate both.
Jul 16, 2014 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
Are the haters unable to hate both? After all, hype is hype, which inevitably draws in haters, and on top of that, NGNL itself is pretty flawed as a show.

And yeah, I agree with Forgetfulness. I don't know what you're talking about with those "popular hated" anime, OP. SAO and SnK are extremely flawed and have more cons than the pros can overcome, though I can't say for Mirai Nikki because I haven't seen it yet.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 16, 2014 6:34 PM

Nov 2011
Hate is a strong word. I'd say i disliked the show in the beginning, but episodes 8+ were decent imo
my biggest complaint about the show is the excessive fan service. sure, it's 'ecchi', but do we really need to see loli girls naked in the bath or otherwise every damn episode..? there were so many bath scenes, they might as well call this No Bath No Life

edit: can't say about SAO and mirai nikki, but Snk was pretty bad, even though there were some epic scenes. though i'm a NGNL hater, NGNL is better than SnK imo.
DreamingBeatsJul 16, 2014 7:11 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 16, 2014 7:21 PM
Oct 2012
DreamingBeats said:
but do we really need to see loli girls naked in the bath or otherwise every damn episode..? there were so many bath scenes, they might as well call this No Bath No Life

Sure, because every bath scene was funny.

First one with Steph: the joke about "Mr. Steam".
Second one with Jibiriru: "the shampoo"
Third one with Kurumi: that Kurumi knew the point, but Fi getting into it.
Fourth one with Izutan: who doesn't enjoy tail washing goodenss?
Jul 17, 2014 1:19 AM

Jul 2013
Because it's popular to hate popular things.

Everyone knows that.
Jul 17, 2014 2:52 PM

May 2009
Forgetfulness said:
1. unexplained ridiculously OP MCs for no reason. Basically destroyed any tension in the games because you knew that somehow, in the end they would win. Sure, the games themselves might have made sense but you knew that the plot armor would make them win in the end: either they already knew some trick a bajillion years ago, or they can figure it out on the spot, or maybe a fucking coin will flip exactly as they command it to for god knows whatever reason

It was explained, whole their family situation, hikkikomorism, etc was explanation. Deal with it. It doesn't need to be realistic.
Jul 17, 2014 4:03 PM

Sep 2007
The show has lots of flaws if you judge it objectively, but I sitll gave it a 9/10 simply because I rate based on my own personal enjøyment and therefore don't care if it isn't objective.
Now for me the show was entertaining enough as long as you don't expect it to be something deep or complex. I agree that Steph being mostly a simple comic-relief, fanservice character could've been toned down a little, despite it being ecchi.
Jul 17, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2013
Its the same type of issue with the clannad hype a few years ago, because it was both a good show and had quite a tremendous fanbase, it also created a few haters on the basis that the show was overrated. With respect to no game no life, the show was good, very good in fact, but the number of people giving this a 10/10 is a little too many since in the end, it was still a little flawed. Nevertheless, the end result had good balance and entertainment value

( What i really cannot understand however, is the fact that some people rate NGNL a 1/10, but give shows like sword art online a 9/10.)
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Jul 17, 2014 5:31 PM

Sep 2011
I'm not hater but, 8.82?? NGNL has some uniques features but is far from being a masterpiece.
So, the fact is, the haters appears when the fanboys appears.
Jul 17, 2014 11:14 PM

May 2014

So haters nitpick every single animation error and musical queue instead of plot holes, character inconsistency and directing?

And if something is hyped up, it has to be damn good, have plenty of substance and be something a lot more than just "kick back and have fun".
Jul 18, 2014 1:22 AM

Mar 2014
This is how it usually works:

>plebs hear that an anime is the best thing since sliced bread
>watches show with unbelievably high expectations
>doesn't think the anime lives up to the hype
>claims it's shit, even if they really think it's mediocre or decent at best.

Everyone has been there.
Jul 18, 2014 5:24 AM

Nov 2013
[quote=T3hSource]So haters nitpick every single animation error and musical queue instead of plot holes, character inconsistency and directing?[/spoiler] But wasn't that what you were doing in SAO II thread <_<

That aside, what plotholes and character inconsistencies are in NGNL?
I'm genuinely curious.

T3hSource said:
And if something is hyped up, it has to be damn good, have plenty of substance and be something a lot more than just "kick back and have fun".
That's not true. It only needs to be enjoyable enough to get hyped up. Expecting these other things from it are the viewer's fault for having wrong expectations.
Jul 18, 2014 5:32 AM

May 2011
Everyone has different opinions.
Don't expect everyone to like NGNL (or any of the other "overrated/hyped anime" for that matter), no matter how much people hype it up. I personally don't care for it since I've watched an episode and thought differently about it but it's fine if other people do. Who cares what others think as long as you like it?
Jul 18, 2014 5:34 AM

Oct 2013
[quote=Botato]
T3hSource said:
So haters nitpick every single animation error and musical queue instead of plot holes, character inconsistency and directing?[/spoiler] But wasn't that what you were doing in SAO II thread <_<

hypocrites
Jul 18, 2014 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
uh said:
Everyone has different opinions.
Don't expect everyone to like NGNL (or any of the other "overrated/hyped anime" for that matter), no matter how much people hype it up. I personally don't care for it since I've watched an episode and thought differently about it but it's fine if other people do. Who cares what others think as long as you like it?

MAL needs more people like you. where's the like button when you need it..?
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 18, 2014 10:45 AM
Jun 2014
Lol overrated... U gotta love that hipster disease spreading around. Rated high for a reason. Hyped for season 2 (hopefully).
Dem anime hipsters tho 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Jul 18, 2014 1:47 PM
Jan 2014
boredxxx said:
Lol overrated... U gotta love that hipster disease spreading around. Rated high for a reason. Hyped for season 2 (hopefully).

I freaking hate the hipster card, it gets played when you don't have a way to constructivly argue against critisism on series you like.

Seriously as soon as you play the hipster card, you have lost the arguement. Because you couldn't defend the series with logic, because it actually is bad or that you don't know why the series is good.

Try defending the series, instead of saying that everyone that don't like this series is a hipster.
Shock_YinJul 18, 2014 1:51 PM

Jul 18, 2014 2:07 PM

May 2014
Botato said:
I'm genuinely curious.
> supposed to be NEET/hikikomoris aka antisocial
> beat others via mind games and bluffing

And no, "it's a game to them", "he's treating them like NPCs" are not good excuses, especially when they say "reality is a crappy game".

And yes, I was nitpicking the actual animation from looking at it too closely, as well as the art and spatial inconsistencies. Since that was the point of my argument there. Which don't really matter either way, since it's all for drama anyway.

Botato said:
T3hSource said:
That's not true. It only needs to be enjoyable enough to get hyped up. Expecting these other things from it are the viewer's fault for having wrong expectations.
So it's the viewer's fault for buying into the hype? In order for one not to attach their definition of "good", they should never listen to hype in the first place, because it will always end in disappointment. With that in mind, the whole existence of hype becomes meaningless and the noise of the praise becomes annoying.
Jul 18, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
[quote=Miyuuchuu]Actually, I think haters may just actually dislike things. It's not in their taste.[/spoiler]
Someone disliking something because it wasn't to their taste? People having different opinions and expressing them on the internet?

HERESY.

But yeah, this guy gets it. I like you, guy.
Jul 18, 2014 2:42 PM
Mar 2008
I think there is a difference between the people who marathoned through it and the people who watched it while it aired.

With the former sometimes not even getting the RPS or the Shiritori game right and feel like the creator just made them win without much thought. When you discuss the episodes for themselves, it's a great anime - it's entertaining, constantly surprising and has loveable characters.

If you see the hype and try to make sense of it before you begin watching you will try to see behind everything coming in like you knew what is going to happen. But let me tell you everybody that has not read the novels always guessed wrong and the games (if you were able to follow them) always upped my expecatation by two additional steps or more.
Jul 18, 2014 3:08 PM

Nov 2013
T3hSource said:
Botato said:
I'm genuinely curious.
> supposed to be NEET/hikikomoris aka antisocial
> beat others via mind games and bluffing

And no, "it's a game to them", "he's treating them like NPCs" are not good excuses, especially when they say "reality is a crappy game".
Well it just seems to me that you, once again, only see one way to do things and any other way is bad.

T3hSource said:
Botato said:
So it's the viewer's fault for buying into the hype? In order for one not to attach their definition of "good", they should never listen to hype in the first place, because it will always end in disappointment. With that in mind, the whole existence of hype becomes meaningless and the noise of the praise becomes annoying.
I think everyone knows hypes are annoying when they are especially loud and you don't like the show being hyped. With that said, if something is hyped then there's a reason for it right? Then one should know what that reason is by asking around instead of going in blind expecting the next genre breaking show or the next Monster level of complexity. NGNL was hyped up as a highly entertaining and funny ecchi about games. If someone watches it expecting Lain or whatever deep and complex show with substance, then it's their fault not the hype's fault, and the hype itself is not necessarily the show's fault either.
Jul 18, 2014 4:00 PM

May 2014
Botato said:
With that said, if something is hyped then there's a reason for it right? Then one should know what that reason is by asking around instead of going in blind expecting the next genre breaking show or the next Monster level of complexity. NGNL was hyped up as a highly entertaining and funny ecchi about games. If someone watches it expecting Lain or whatever deep and complex show with substance, then it's their fault not the hype's fault, and the hype itself is not necessarily the show's fault either.
10/10 MASTERPIECE!!! comments and reviews speak for themselves.
So a viewer has to do their homework instead of following hype. In which case you just evaluate it at its cover.
T3hSourceJul 18, 2014 4:04 PM
Jul 18, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2013
T3hSource said:
10/10 MASTERPIECE!!! comments and reviews speak for themselves.
No they do not. Before you take them seriously you need to know, what kind of masterpiece are they talking about? In what way?
Because the definition of masterpiece is different from person to person, so when someone finds the comedy to his liking and calls this a masterpiece you need to know he/she's talking about comedy, you don't just expect it to fit your own criteria of being, for example, complex to be a masterpiece.

T3hSource said:
So a viewer has to do their homework instead of following hype.
That should be common knowledge to the average anime fan. Anyone that tries watching shows blindly without doing their homework learns it the hard way.
Jul 18, 2014 4:41 PM
Oct 2012
DoomTheWiseWolf said:
This has been a question I've been pondering for a long time now: Do haters hate the anime itself or the popularity it gets?

Anyone who uses "hype" as a reason to hate a show, isn't commenting about the show, but about their self image as someone who doesn't "fall for the hype".

This is why so many of them don't give any reasons for hating it, or if they do, it becomes apparent that they didn't actually pay attention to the show, because 9 times out of 10 the episode itself directly answered their complaint.

Most people who dislike a show for it being a show can specifically tell you why they dislike it. Or they will just say "not my cup of tea".
Jul 18, 2014 5:39 PM

Mar 2013
The anime is okay but it's so overrated.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jul 18, 2014 8:01 PM

Apr 2014
I don't think there are people out there who hate a show only because of the hype and nothing else. If NGNL weren't popular, people who dislike this show would still give it a low score, post maybe a comment or two on how the show failed to meet their expectations and be done with it.
Of course the fact that the show has a huge score and gets so much praise incites a lot more heated arguments as everyone likes to prove how wrong the other's opinion is.

Nevertheless I like it when a show has a group of people who doesn't look everything through rose-tinted glasses and is able to pinpoint things that didn't make much sense as it can sometimes lead to some interesting discussions.
Yeah, I know the "this anime sucks" on-liners are kinda useless and don't promote discussion, but so are the "10/10 best episode evah!!!" posts and nobody seems to mind those.

Botato said:

I can agree with that. This happened to me with Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill this season, since I started both more because everyone else were interested in them and not because I found the synopsis intriguing for example. Obviously, it's my fault for expecting these series to cater exclusively to my preferences.
Jul 19, 2014 3:36 AM

Sep 2011
There are many shows worse than NGNL, yet NGNL has more bashing and haters. So yes, I do agree that people hate the hype.
Jul 19, 2014 3:49 AM

Nov 2013
As a hater I would have to say I hate both the hype and the anime.

Jul 19, 2014 6:04 AM

Aug 2013
Hype probably has something to do with it. Not all, but some, I guess.
I mean, before it aired, barely anyone was talking about it cause we were to busy shitting about Mahouka.

Jul 19, 2014 8:14 AM

Dec 2012
Halicone said:
Nevertheless I like it when a show has a group of people who doesn't look everything through rose-tinted glasses and is able to pinpoint things that didn't make much sense as it can sometimes lead to some interesting discussions.
Yeah, I know the "this anime sucks" on-liners are kinda useless and don't promote discussion, but so are the "10/10 best episode evah!!!" posts and nobody seems to mind those.

I think that at least some of the haters do mind the "10/10 best episode evah!!!" posts, so it's not nobody. I liked NGNL and I mind them a little.

You've also mentioned that it's good to have people who can look at a show critically, without rose-colored glasses, and express something other than "yes, this is good." I agree. But critics can be as problematic as fanboys, in their own way.

From a review of NGNL on this site:
"Do you want to watch a show where you can turn your brain off, creepily watch little naked girls, and think you're having fun from a show that pretends to be clever?"

I can understand why someone would think that NGNL merely pretends to be clever, that it lets you turn your brain off, and that the fanservice is creepy.

But I will have you know that I had fun watching NGNL. I didn't just "think I had fun," I had actual fun. I had more fun than I had reading Romeo and Juliet in English class eight or so years ago. I am as certain that the fun I had watching NGNL is real as I am that the Earth is real.

Does anyone out there honestly believe that the people who watched this and claim to have had fun watching it somehow merely only thought they had fun, while deep down they didn't enjoy it? If so, why?
Jul 19, 2014 8:38 AM

Nov 2013
opondica said:
Does anyone out there honestly believe that the people who watched this and claim to have had fun watching it somehow merely only thought they had fun, while deep down they didn't enjoy it? If so, why?
I've seen claims that people are only living in the hype and stuff, so yeah, there are people that believe others pretend they are enjoying this.
Jul 20, 2014 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Not a hater stop using that stupid word please.
I hate the hype mostly,the series itself is ok but it's still very overrated and not 8.81.
Jul 22, 2014 7:45 PM

Jan 2012
Oh who cares what haters think. Obviously haters have no taste and prefer moto Shoenen manga with no brains only ohohohoho.
Jul 22, 2014 11:12 PM

Jul 2013
Iro said:
Oh who cares what haters think. Obviously haters have no taste and prefer moto Shoenen manga with no brains only ohohohoho.

wat
Jul 23, 2014 12:39 AM

Jan 2012
Hype? What hype? Who's hyping it? I haven't seen any hype surrounding this anime. It didn't even get reviewed at Animenewsnetwork's Season Preview. The only reason I even saw this was because some fellow animelist users who share similar tastes as me happen to rate this highly. So I thought I'd check it out and give it a shot.

If there's an over hyped title it'll be like this one: http://myanimelist.net/anime/820/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu

There's glowing reviews about this on imdb and this site. Blogs says it's the best space opera anime ever. Its got an award in some Japanese SF competition. Ran for 12 years straight, with spin offs, video games, merchandise, everything. Then I watch it, and its a bad looking 80's animation where supposed "genius" tacticians try to use 2D ancient greek land "surrounding" tactics in 3d space. The funny/stupid part is that it actually worked because the enemy "genius" tactician didn't know how to go UP or DOWN in space.

A Japanese Dune it was not.
Jul 23, 2014 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
If there was an anime people thought it was terrible or unwatchable and did not become popular it would be quickly disregarded and forgotten. But since the very first episode the rating did not stop increasing and now can be seen on the first page of Top Anime. In that perspective popularity and hype brought in haters.

Although I really enjoyed NGNL and I think it deserves a sequel, I can understand what the haters think. It is rated higher than most Ghibli films and is sitting alongside some names including Hajime no ippo, Mushishi and along many others considered the greatest ever - which would raise some eyebrows - and I do not blame them.

Of course there are some people who genuinely disliked for its abundance of ecchi scenes and unrealistically intelligent characters, most of the hate would not have been possible with its immense reputation, especially on this site.
Jul 23, 2014 10:18 AM
Jun 2014
MAL rating system is broken but dont bother with it.

for me myself NGNL is like SAO. Some are good some are bad. Fight with jibrill was good but fight with Izuna was not.
Jul 23, 2014 3:55 PM

Jun 2014
The hype I guess. I don't understand why though, especially since it brings new fans for anime like for attack on Titan, the hype was so big that even a guy who doesn't watch anime heard about it. All I heard was how great it was, even a year later. So one day while I was bored i decided to watch it. The shows not perfect, but it found it highly enjoyable, and pretty much exactly what I want out of a show.

The problem with hype though is when some people go in to a show with their expectations too high, and when they find that the show isn't perfect, because nothing is, then they automatically call it overrated. All they see are the flaws, and take it for face value, ignoring any depth there might be for the show. What pisses me of is when they go around calling the show overrated, saying its horrible over and over. I couldn't stand durarara, but I don't go around telling everyone the show is horrible, (even though this technically means I just did) but still.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 24, 2014 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
It's a shame that anime doesn't have to be great to get to the top rated.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One decade later and still no Season 2

JustSomeone15 - May 16

44 by namazuFish »»
May 21, 1:46 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.