Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 25, 2013 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
CAN THIS WALKING FOR 15MINS BE SOME EPIC SYMBOLISM?
3deep5me

truth be told i'm just waiting for eotena onslaught to start.

edit:

o noes

I rate this episode walking/10.
sakaMay 27, 2013 7:39 AM
May 25, 2013 9:56 AM

Nov 2011
Man, that walk was looong. Longest walk of my life.

Ya, they discovered the vandalism. I'm not one bit surprised at all. Nope. Hello misunderstanding. Well, drama escalated. Way too much walking this episode though.
May 25, 2013 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
Getting better and better
Holy cow, this show IS amazing!!
too bad for those that dropped it at the first
deep and intense shit next episode :D
May 25, 2013 10:58 AM
Aug 2012
People hatin' already. Damn.

10 / 10 adaptation.
nnangleMay 25, 2013 11:27 AM
May 25, 2013 11:03 AM

Jul 2012
nnangle said:
People hatin' already. Damn.

Ignore them, they are just those that gave 1 without even give a try
sakaMay 26, 2013 9:32 PM
May 25, 2013 11:49 AM

Dec 2012
This episode started with my two most favorites at the moment: the previous episode ending, and the Saeki's opening version. They are just the intro to a long walk of shame, guilt, suspense, fear, and most importantly, mutual bonding. Nakamura has become, lets just say more "mellow" and "playful" with Kasuga

Kasuga and Nakamura held hands, walked past the usual scenery until sunrise. The feelings in this long walk is similar to the morning after passing out. This is hangover. When the drug starts withdrawing, you are left with a dizzy mind and a painful body. Last night actions was their drug, and now two hangover individuals have to deal with the upcoming consequences.

That's why they are now bonded together. Nakaumra, who may not see Kasuga as lover yet, has accepted him as her comrade. Kasuga, though not clear on what Nakaruma wants, sees her as an dependable sympathizer.

Still, Kasuga does not totally believe himself to be a "deviant" yet. Last night's actions were provoked by the intense guilt and fear of losing Nakaurma. He is still in his usual weak and confused self as he encounter Saeki's intense, agonizing eyes.
ThangLongMay 25, 2013 10:31 PM
May 25, 2013 12:07 PM

Apr 2009
Guys, having the characters walk around without facial features and dialogue for half the episode is really artsy and unique and in no way terrible.
May 25, 2013 2:39 PM

Aug 2012

Wow. I'm in love with the background music that played during Nakamura and Kasuga's long walk of shame.
Completely eerie and haunting.
May 25, 2013 4:55 PM
Dec 2012
Hana...ga...saitayo....hana...ga....
Indeed the flower of evil fully bloomed. I had waited for it to bloom that much.

That death march long walk was effective, meaningful and impressive to my eye. Actions speak louder than words: the slow pace conveyed their feelings very well without relying on words IMO. It even reminded me of Tarkovsky masterpiece movie Stalker. I didn't imagine any director would adopt such a slow pace in anime. Kudos to the creator who has guts. Apparently it's not a conventional style. I guess the episode would be appreciated more by live-action film fans and mature audience rather than conventional anime fans.

Kasuga was saved by ink. lol I wonder if it resulted from a chance or Nakamura did it for him. She stuck her tongue out at him in the classroom. And lol@Kasuga vomitting. How timid he is! He was lucky, but alas he was caught by Saeki. The flower of evil was really a troublesome flower. lol Wonder what she thinks of him now. Also wonder what he will do in next episode. Can't wait.

The ED was colored with red, black and white. I guess the black stands for evil and red for blood. Wonder if it implies there will be some gore later on.

Thanks to the greater of use of still images and slow motion, I was not distracted by the animation for the first time in the series. Like I suggested before, they stopped moving too many details. For instance, only her mouth was moving when Saeki was speaking in one of the scenes. Nice improvement.
May 25, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2010
vannanabanana said:

Wow. I'm in love with the background music that played during Nakamura and Kasuga's long walk of shame.
Completely eerie and haunting.

Honestly, "Long Walk of Shame" sounds like the perfect title for this week's episode.
I can't wait to see how this will end.
May 26, 2013 12:39 AM

May 2012
The walking was fantastic, it was as i I was walking, I could feel the same as the characters. Great, it did a superb job at materializing what the characters were feeling when taking the longest walking of their lives...

Kasuga asking Saeki to brake up, not before she says WHY and the witl book on hand naming the culprit ov everything...

Looking forward to the next episode.

ThangLong said:
This episode started with my two most favorites at the moment: the previous episode ending, and the Saeki's opening version. They are just the intro to a long walk of shame, guilt, suspense, fear, and most importantly, mutual bonding.

Thank you, exactly that.

eminagnam said:
Hana...ga...saitayo....hana...ga....
Indeed the flower of evil fully bloomed. I had waited for it to bloom that much.

That death march long walk was effective, meaningful and impressive to my eye. Actions speak louder than words: the slow pace conveyed their feelings very well without relying on words IMO. It even reminded me of Tarkovsky masterpiece movie Stalker. I didn't imagine any director would adopt such a slow pace in anime. Kudos to the creator who has guts..

Kudos to you and so many of us here that got exactly what the slow and super long walking meant.
9988May 26, 2013 12:42 AM
May 26, 2013 9:57 AM
May 26, 2013 12:20 PM

Jun 2012
Can't believe there are only 5 episodes left!
Shoot first, think never.
May 26, 2013 1:28 PM

May 2012
50% of this episode was literally just walking. No talking. Just walking.
May 26, 2013 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
I liked what they tried with the walking scenes but it did feel like they dragged on a lot (the soundtrack saves it though), looking forward to more fallout next week 4/5
sakaMay 26, 2013 9:36 PM
May 26, 2013 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
I don't care, this was a great episode
RediceRyanMay 26, 2013 4:17 PM
May 26, 2013 3:53 PM

May 2013
Man that walk took too long lol. Oh man can't wait to see what happens next.
May 26, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
I just checked Gogoanime and the subs are out guys :D

For me the second half of the episode was good.
The only thing Good about that long walk was the fact Kasuga and Nakamura were holding hands the whole way.

Other than that I almost fell asleep watching them do nothing but (plus the Kasuga episode 1 reminiscent walk to school -_- too)

Anyhow...
Events of this episode beside walking (-_-)

Kasuga broke up with Saeki :0
Saeki figured out that Kasuga was the one who stole her gym clothes :O
(You wish you didn't give her that book now, huh, Kasuga?)

Now what will happen next (Well I know since I read the manga, but stil...want to say) Can't wait for next week!

May 26, 2013 4:14 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was Aku no Hana's Endless Eight.
Plebians will talk shit about it, only true patricans will see the genius in it.
May 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Feb 2012
Wow another great episode, it did start kinda slow, 9 full minutes of pure walking lmao, but it sure did pick up later on, and it ended with a great bang, glad to see that Nanako is not stupid as I thought she will be.

Now I wonder will he reveal everything, or Nakamura will pull him out from this one somehow, still can't wait for next one.
May 26, 2013 4:30 PM
Mar 2012
Really good episode, even though those first 9 minutes (with the exception of the OP, awesome as always) were complete unnecessary (or were they? For material saving reasons, of course).

I just don't know how much they will adapt for the next episode. I've checked the chapters and some phrases were not there at all (might be a different translation they used).
Could it mean original ending starting now?
May 26, 2013 4:39 PM
Mar 2011
fuckin awesome. another well done episode.

the ED still give me chills.

perfect timing everywhere
"....i am the villain in this story"
May 26, 2013 4:45 PM

Aug 2011
Loved it except for the 10 mins of walking. I mean wow a third of the episode was walking but it was still good.
May 26, 2013 4:57 PM

May 2010
10/5 definetly in my top3 this season.
May 26, 2013 5:14 PM

Oct 2012
Loved every moment of the episode.

The long walk definitely gave me a "Stalker" feel, for those who remember the movie and for me the whole scene was watchable only because Nakamura and Kasuga were holding hands... while i was O_O at the sight of it for the whole time. For me it was perfect, I for one would prefer to see Nakamura and Kasuga much closer since they match each other more even though Kasuga's been through hell because of her... in my opinion it might turn out to be a road worth taking for her.

And of course i cannot wait to see what happens in the next episode. This anime alone has been making me be on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what will happen next.

The walk in the morning to school was the perfect example. My heart was literally racing waiting in anticipation to see what the reactions will be prior to Saeki opening the class door.

On a side one, i'm currently listening to G. Mahler's Symphony No. 8. Kudos to the person who guesses in which anime and in which particular scene this piece of opera was used to make an otherwise awesome scene, epic as ever with the score in the background.
May 26, 2013 5:21 PM

Oct 2009
Dat walking
May 26, 2013 5:36 PM

Jun 2010
Yeah didn't like the walking so much in the beginning but I liked the suspense at the end!
May 26, 2013 5:41 PM
Feb 2013
LukyAngelo said:

On a side one, i'm currently listening to G. Mahler's Symphony No. 8. Kudos to the person who guesses in which anime and in which particular scene this piece of opera was used to make an otherwise awesome scene, epic as ever with the score in the background.

It's funny when you see the next poster's avatar.
May 26, 2013 6:05 PM

Jan 2010
The story is good... The rotoscoping is BAD... And they show us 6 f***ing minutes of rotoscoped walking while holding hands??? Fdat. 45 seconds would have made the same impact. That shit was not artistic... Shit wrapped in designer gold foil with diamonds is STILL shit.

The rest was good... would have been better with 6 more minutes of story.
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
May 26, 2013 6:27 PM

Jan 2009
lol episode 8 has too much walking, and Saeki finally knows what Kasuga did
May 26, 2013 7:14 PM

Oct 2010
oh my god, am I the only one who likes the art? I mean, the walk was kinda boring but it's eerie, yet meaningful. I haven't had time to read the manga, so I'm watching this series with upcoming surprises.

I can't wait for next week's episode!! :) I'm so crazy about this anime; it's so creepy, and it makes me happy.
May 26, 2013 7:15 PM

May 2012
Yeah this episode was too deep for me; I don't understand the symbolism behind walking. At least the show opening was half decent, that was probably the only thing I liked about this episode.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
May 26, 2013 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
onewhodreamt said:
LukyAngelo said:

It's funny when you see the next poster's avatar.

Yeah... pretty much spot on. :)
May 26, 2013 8:17 PM

Jun 2011
very very very slow, hope the next episode won't have these long walks
May 26, 2013 8:35 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
walking, walking, walking, is that all you're seeing in this episode? XD

they did it deliberately, though, stretching it to fill the episode, because of the cliffhanger end. This episode adapts only one chapter of the manga, and it intentionally leaves off the last two pages... for the suspense :)
May 26, 2013 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
Such intense walking. Next thing you know, the episode is done =P

May 26, 2013 9:09 PM

Jan 2013
I liked the part when Kasuga was walking. Obviously they went slow to get the same cliffhanger the manga had (although it wasn't the exact cliffhanger it had - don't read it though it you don't want to be spoiled for next week).

I was kind of hoping they'd do 2 chapters worth this week but I guess not. O well, I hope they don't rush the end. Next week should be good.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 26, 2013 9:49 PM

Apr 2011
start of the episode was pretty boring but wow that was a great ending, can't wait for the next one
May 26, 2013 10:00 PM

Mar 2011
I'm gonna wa--... No, wait! It's too late, I've to sleep now. Oyasumi.
11/5
May 26, 2013 10:14 PM

Jun 2007
ThangLong said:
They are just the intro to a long walk of shame, guilt, suspense, fear, and most importantly, mutual bonding

Kasuga and Nakamura held hands, walked past the usual scenery until sunrise. The feelings in this long walk is similar to the morning after passing out. This is hangover. When the drug starts withdrawing, you are left with a dizzy mind and a painful body. Last night actions was their drug, and now two hangover individuals have to deal with the upcoming consequences.

Shame, guilt, and such feelings applies only to Kasuga and certainly not Nakamura. But rather than a hangover, I'd say it's more like a high. The classroom vandalism was a high sparked by his desperation, guilt, and some good ol' adrenaline. The "walking" scene was coming down from the high; just as you described, they were walking home feeling dazed. I disagree, however, that Kasuga would have felt any guilt during the walk home, since it was only when he was going to school that he started worrying. I'd assume that Kasuga was just numb from the event and he and Nakamura were instinctively holding hands. As for Nakamura she probably got a high and came down just like Kasuga, but I think we can safely assume that she wasn't feeling any sort of guilt or apprehension. After all, she is a sociopath.

As for the episode itself, I wasn't too crazy about the length of the "walking" scene (referring to the Nakamura & Kasuga scene specifically). While I agree that the scene itself was symbolic, the length was excessive. 6 minutes or so of walking with BGM could have easily been shortened and yet still convey its intended meaning. To speak in generalities, such time could be spent advancing further into the story and preempting any sort of rushing the plot. Although I usually try and go along with the artistic vision a director presents and give him the "benefit of the doubt", there comes a time when even I have to draw the line somewhere between artistic innovation and what I see as a flaw in execution. I'm grouping the "walking" scene with the latter.
May 26, 2013 10:22 PM

May 2012
I reckon it was excessive by a couple minutes, but it worked perfectly in various ways, including ending the episode at that precise moment on a high note.
May 26, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2009
Jesus, my heart is too weak for this hardcore suspense shizz. Almost had a heart attack.
May 26, 2013 10:49 PM

Sep 2012
Was this episode created to kill us?
Dat walking full of suspense
May 27, 2013 12:46 AM

Oct 2010
Too much wasted time in this episode, 8 minutes of wasted time. The fort scene better make up for this.
May 27, 2013 1:44 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
phantom19 said:
I liked the part when Kasuga was walking. Obviously they went slow to get the same cliffhanger the manga had (although it wasn't the exact cliffhanger it had - don't read it though it you don't want to be spoiled for next week).

Yeah same, I actually liked it, it felt very...normal? The tone at least. It killed me though just how slow they were walking, like they were moving at the slowest pace possible. But it makes sense because both of them want the moment to last. I agree that they probably spent half the episode on the walk because of what will happen in the next episode. They ended this episode at a perfect spot. Definitely excited for next week's episode.
May 27, 2013 1:53 AM

Apr 2013
Ahahah. That long ass walk. You know full well what's going on through his mind. Same as the viewers.
I like what they did with the end credits song. The more the "walls" get stripped down. The more normal sounding it gets.
May 27, 2013 2:07 AM

Apr 2009
nobuyuki34 said:
Too much wasted time in this episode, 8 minutes of wasted time. The fort scene better make up for this.

I don't think they really have any intention of doing the story justice, or getting to the genuinely interesting parts.
May 27, 2013 2:48 AM

Oct 2012
We all already know this, but ...

Please don't tell us information that you read from the manga. In other words, don't
give out any "spoilers". Also, if you "reply" to somebody, make sure that you erase
any inappropriate "spoiler" part from his/her post.
May 27, 2013 3:43 AM

Apr 2008
Epic Walking is epic........
May 27, 2013 4:41 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
You people sure like to exaggerate. The walking lasted 6 minutes. Not 9, not half the episode. Go back and watch it again if you don't believe it.

Anyway, the idea behind the walking was fine. It was very atmospheric. The art was nothing short of amazing during this sequence. Yeah, they could have shortened the walk to 3 or 4 minutes, but they didn't. Those extra 2 minutes do not break the show or even make the sequence bad. Go watch Kakumeiki Valvrave if you want non-stop fast paced nonsense. This anime is meant to be slow paced and extremely artistic in its atmosphere, mood, and presentation.

Great episode and I absolutely can't wait for next week!!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

325 by princesjelyfish »»
May 4, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Apr 24, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.