3It was OK
6.7%
2Disliked it
3.4%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.6
149 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 4, 2012 9:59 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Warfare is more of a chess match in this series. Marika uses a very crafty trick (basically shine light on the enemy) so that they can no longer fire. In the end, Marika decides to become a space pirate. Next episode should be great.
Feb 4, 2012 10:14 AM

Nov 2008
Solarbeam ftw

Oh nice Marika is going to be a space pirate so things will be picking up in a rapid pace and Misa will be joining her.

Feb 4, 2012 10:22 AM

Jan 2010
Behold, optic blast?

Finally, the pirates are coming... I'm so happy... *sniff*
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Feb 4, 2012 11:50 AM

May 2010
Loved the strategy war games between the two ships. But now Marika has finally made her decision and we can continue with plot progress!
Feb 4, 2012 12:07 PM
Sep 2011
That was an extremely intriguing episode. It really got my head spinning while trying to follow their strategy in order to trick the opposing battleship and backed up my suspicion that this will probably be the show where I have to use my brain cells the most this season.
Feb 4, 2012 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
Strategy warfare is amazing i could never do anything like that.....

Glasses girl turns out to be the daughter of the captain of the other pirate ship

Next ep her first day as capt. good luck to her
Feb 4, 2012 12:42 PM
Dec 2007
This episode was really impressive. Before that I had no opinion on the series and thought it lacked a clear identity but the strategic warfare was really cool. This is going to be one the candidates for best series of the season.
Feb 4, 2012 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah it was great decision for Marika that using that strategy using the sun against the enemy.

They could run away from the enemy but running from enemy is that something a captain should do.
Marika sure got the blood of his father & her mother and fitting well for being a captain.

Maybe Chiaki knew Marika father before he died and they are alliances.

Both of this pirate ships got a licensed.

Marika captain of Bentenmaru and Chiaki captain with Barbalusa they both make such a great team.

Best episode so far :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Feb 4, 2012 3:39 PM

Dec 2011
Awesome episode, I loved it. :) The strategies and all the electronics warfare was so complicated, but still all their decisions seemed really understandable. I wish we had gotten to know who the enemy really was.
Feb 4, 2012 3:47 PM

May 2009
Wow, it's time to drop this borefest.
Feb 4, 2012 3:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
LOVED IT!

When the Lightning 11 shut down it's computers and yet started shooting, it took me by surprise - how could they be able to aim to shoot? When somebody (Chiaki?) said they might be using visual optics I swear by The Goddess Madoka I started screaming "Use the mirrors!".
Feb 4, 2012 3:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
bastek66 said:

Bye! Don't let the door hit you from behind on the way out ;)
Feb 4, 2012 6:06 PM

Apr 2011
"How are they aiming???"
"They're using their eyes!!!"

Lol, I don't know why but this bit made me laugh. I guess it's because they're so far into the future with their computer targeting and what-not then the lightning 11 decides to go old school and use their optics.
Feb 4, 2012 6:07 PM

Mar 2010
Great episode!
Anyway I crafted some nice gifs out of the ending:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603849/Marika_spin/Marika_spin_640.gif
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603849/Marika_spin/Marika_spin_320.gif
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603849/Marika_spin/Marika_spin_160.gif

If you want an adjusted version (like only right or left one / other size) just reply!
Feb 4, 2012 6:08 PM

Jan 2011
That "battle" was pretty lame, is that really what we were waiting for? And all of a sudden she wants to become a pirate after she was almost killed? Seems legit.

Black haired girl isn't a normal student? I AM SO SHOCKED!!!!11!! EPIC PLOT TWIST RIGHT HURR!!!
[center]
Feb 4, 2012 6:24 PM

Dec 2011
Cratex said:
bastek66 said:

Bye! Don't let the door hit you from behind on the way out ;)

Hahahahahaha!
Feb 4, 2012 6:31 PM

Apr 2008
I was pretty apathetic about this show until the the fourth episode. Add this episode on top of it and I'm now completely drawn in. This show is doing a lot for itself to both work within the genre without being too cliched and when it would be a cliche it's done well enough you wouldn't notice unless you were looking to nitpick. The spaceship combat reminded me of both LOGH and Ghost in the Shell at the same time. Good stuff. Kinda wishing some of the yacht club would join Marika's crew now.
Feb 4, 2012 7:22 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
VioLink said:
And all of a sudden she wants to become a pirate after she was almost killed? Seems legit.

(shrug) there are people for whom combat is a thrill.

olee said:
I crafted some nice gifs out of the ending:

Cool! Thanks
CratexFeb 4, 2012 7:28 PM
Feb 4, 2012 7:36 PM

Feb 2008
Really enjoying this one, can't wait to see it each week!
Feb 4, 2012 7:59 PM

Feb 2008
where is her hand sign.......? you cant channel Spok without doing the hand sign.

as for the preview.....shes not in Kansas anymore TOTO!
Feb 4, 2012 8:01 PM
Oct 2008
Good show is slowly becoming great.
Feb 4, 2012 8:17 PM
Sep 2009
Yes!

This episode was AMAZING! And here I thought good sci-fi was dead.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 4, 2012 8:29 PM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:

What are you talking about? The series is actually starting to get good.
Feb 4, 2012 8:30 PM

Dec 2008
VioLink said:
That "battle" was pretty lame, is that really what we were waiting for? And all of a sudden she wants to become a pirate after she was almost killed? Seems legit.

Black haired girl isn't a normal student? I AM SO SHOCKED!!!!11!! EPIC PLOT TWIST RIGHT HURR!!!

When the hell would you people learn that this is a SPACE OPERA series and not an ACTION series?

Either way, I'm excited for the next episode as Marika finally becomes the captain. Can't wait.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Feb 4, 2012 8:39 PM

Dec 2011
Maruka uses solarbeam! X)

I love her pirate outfit.
Feb 4, 2012 9:40 PM
Jun 2008
Use eye to lock their target from 400,000km . wow.. Everything look like a star from that distance .

Suddenly reinforcement come out from know where.They must have forgotten to detect them.

I felt I won't last long watching this because its kinda boring. Well ,at least its better than LotGH .
Feb 4, 2012 9:57 PM

Apr 2009
^ another one who doesn't get the appeal of SPACE OPERAS.. and try no to be too provoking as a troll because you're bashing another show that is widely known to be very intelligently written and whose fans or any of those who completed watching it would keep on laughing at you and at what you said..
and it's not like the enemy is using his naked eye.. they did say they were using optical devices in which we wouldn't know the magnifying intensity of.. the reinforcement ships were indeed detected first, as they appeared in Odette II's radar when they got in range before arriving (that part in the episode seemed to happen so fast, i think they sped up the pace in that one because this introductory arc is almost over) and of course, the enemy wouldn't know because they shut down their computers..

anyway, this episode is pure WIN.. thank heavens we're getting stuff like this again where we actually need to use our intelligent minds to watch..
and it was a bit surprising that Chiaki also happened to be a daughter of a pirate captain herself (so far, i don't think she's in the exact same position as Marika yet, as her father might still be alive and she's just the soon to be successor, based on her reintroduction).. i've had suspicions on which faction she might be working for but i never thought she'd really be a captain or soon to be captain of a pirate ship instead, i thought she was an agent of some organization..
argiliumFeb 4, 2012 10:16 PM
Feb 4, 2012 9:58 PM

Jan 2011
Misdreavius said:
VioLink said:

When the hell would you people learn that this is a SPACE OPERA series and not an ACTION.

It doesn't matter if its a ACTION or SPACE OPERA these developments are horrible and so is the pacing.
[center]
Feb 4, 2012 10:02 PM

Jul 2010
MorningGlory said:
Use eye to lock their target from 400,000km . wow.. Everything look like a star from that distance .

Suddenly reinforcement come out from know where.They must have forgotten to detect them.

I felt I won't last long watching this because its kinda boring. Well ,at least its better than LotGH .

I'm sure they'd have magnification on their optical targeting system, and notice that they weren't that accurate either. As for the reinforcements coming out of "nowhere", remember that there were originally three ships without transponders that the Pres. mentioned to Kane. The bad guys and the two Pirates. They should have good enough stealth systems to not be detected until they decide to join the party. Plus,if Marika figured out where the attack would occur, I doubt it was that big of a problem for the pros.

If you think this show is boring, go back to watching plot and character free shows. Nobody is forcing you to watch it!
Feb 4, 2012 10:13 PM

Jul 2011
What? I love action; I just don't get how people could find that boring!

That got me really excited, yet I didn't even see the damn people on Lightning 11.

I think this is one of those animes that are "smart" and intriguing. I love it and I'm really, really glad that I decided to watch it. And plus, there isn't any ecchi like I thought there would be!

I'm really excited to see the next episode. We get to meet the crew... 21 more episodes of this great anime!

And Marika is one of those rare, seemingly silly female characters that I like. She's actually pretty smart. And I like the captain. XD

Yay Moretsu Pirates! Off to try and find the novel to read now.
Feb 4, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2011
I'm definitely getting LoGH vibes from this, which, for the record, also had "slow pacing".

Fucking glorious.
opernliedFeb 4, 2012 10:25 PM
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Feb 4, 2012 10:29 PM

Jul 2010
VioLink said:
Misdreavius said:
VioLink said:

When the hell would you people learn that this is a SPACE OPERA series and not an ACTION.

It doesn't matter if its a ACTION or SPACE OPERA these developments are horrible and so is the pacing.

It's OK, you can go watch shows without character development that send hapless idiots off half cocked and just have lots of flash and no substance.

So, did YOU guess ahead of time that Chiaki was the daughter of another space pirate? We all knew she was not a normal student, but who she is was a good twist. (I unfortunately read a spoiler on that a couple weeks ago)

As for Marika making her choice, perhaps she enjoyed the thrill of the fight? She certainly seems to have a knack for making decisions under pressure. If it scared her away, you'd complain that she was a wimp, but since she showed some spirit you'll hate on her for that instead. Just don't watch if you don't like it.
Feb 4, 2012 10:46 PM

Apr 2009
VioLink said:
Misdreavius said:
VioLink said:

if that's your opinion in the show, we can't change your mind about it..

but on how we see it, the slow pacing is actually what's perfect for a space opera like this.. and it's not a 1-cour anime where they need to rush the plot anyway.. the many details that they feature in the show to make it more sound and coherent that Marika's actually being pulled into this pirate business is not similar to many shounen shows where they just introduce a premise and then throw the protagonist into the whole ordeal and let his luck or destined skill/ability take him/her towards the end of the story in victory.. instead of pronouncing story elements in the show, they actually spend the time to build it and around it so as to make Marika's transition from talented student to space pirate captain be seamless and not exaggerated..
the battle is also not boring.. it's actually exciting in my case because it's a single blind strategic battle and it would've done you better if you used your neurons to actually understand every detail in it.. what's even better about it is that the battle is within the bounds of what non-idiot high school girls of their generation can do.. they didn't pull off some exaggerated stuff..
and if you have complaints to the development.. .. .. well, if you're referring to the character development, i'd like to kill you.. if you're referring to the plot development, well, just look at what i said above and realize that this is just an introductory arc.. next week, we'd get to see what this show would really have to offer.. if somehow you're complaining about Chiaki being a space pirate captain's daughter herself by being sarcastic about it, then it's not even that big of a plot twist at all.. they did spend time to build on her character as someone who is unlike any of the other students and seem to be very experienced in this pirating business.. only the certainty of who she really is, is what's tackled in that scene.. it all seemed to be natural and a bit surprising at the same time.. if you're complaining about Marika's decision, then you really haven't been paying attention to the show or are not able to empathize with her character..

and oh yah.. .. .. it also does matter if it's action or space opera.. especially when you may not be sure of what one of them means..

think first before bashing..
argiliumFeb 4, 2012 11:07 PM
Feb 4, 2012 11:04 PM

Jan 2011
zensunni said:
VioLink said:
Misdreavius said:
VioLink said:

It's OK, you can go watch shows without character development that send hapless idiots off half cocked and just have lots of flash and no substance.

So, did YOU guess ahead of time that Chiaki was the daughter of another space pirate? We all knew she was not a normal student, but who she is was a good twist. (I unfortunately read a spoiler on that a couple weeks ago)

As for Marika making her choice, perhaps she enjoyed the thrill of the fight? She certainly seems to have a knack for making decisions under pressure. If it scared her away, you'd complain that she was a wimp, but since she showed some spirit you'll hate on her for that instead. Just don't watch if you don't like it.

Daughter of a space pirate, son of a space pirate who cares? It all means the same thing, that she is somehow related to the space pirates and I knew that from episode one.

Marika has been disappointing me for awhile now. There isn't any emotion in her character even when she heard her father the space pirate had died she kept a "cool story bro" attitude. Information of the wonders of pirating had to be spoon fed to her by her mother because Marika was showing so little interest until her mom pulled out a "LAZER GUN BLOWING UP A TANK OMFG SO COOL!!!" in episode 2

No I will not drop this anime because then I won't be able to write how much of a trainwreck this show was. So just sit there and accept my criticism on this anime and if you don't like them don't reply.
[center]
Feb 4, 2012 11:10 PM

Apr 2009
VioLink said:
zensunni said:
VioLink said:
Misdreavius said:
VioLink said:

Daughter of a space pirate, son of a space pirate who cares? It all means the same thing, that she is somehow related to the space pirates and I knew that from episode one.

Marika has been disappointing me for awhile now. There isn't any emotion in her character even when she heard her father the space pirate had died she kept a "cool story bro" attitude. Information of the wonders of pirating had to be spoon fed to her by her mother because Marika was showing so little interest until her mom pulled out a "LAZER GUN BLOWING UP A TANK OMFG SO COOL!!!" in episode 2

No I will not drop this anime because then I won't be able to write how much of a trainwreck this show was. So just sit there and accept my criticism on this anime and if you don't like them don't reply.
pffft.. criticism? haha hahaha..

and what has happened to this age of anime fans? masochist haters who keep watching what they don't like for the sake of hating..
Feb 4, 2012 11:40 PM

Aug 2010
would the haters please drop this show and be done with it please?

I really liked this episode, and how they won without firing a single beam (and these ARE still schoolgirls, mind you. They wouldn't stand a chance to a bording party, and the Odette II is completely unarmed as well).

With this ep, my rating of the show went up by one point. Looking forward to next ep
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Feb 4, 2012 11:56 PM

Nov 2011
Seems the major complaint about this show is the pacing, which I don't understand why. It's 26 episodes long and is suppose to be more of a space opera like Star Trek. The beginning is suppose to be more like a "slice of life" show until Marika joins the Bentenmaru crew. It gives the show a chance to build on characters (notice a huge cast) and story. Same with Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero last year.

So far, I am enjoying this show. It's a nice change compared to those over-cliched, plot broken, and excessive fan-service shows lately, *cough* Guilty Crown.

Now that Marika has made her decision, it's adventure time into the unknown. I expect the danger and action to slowly ramp up from here on. All that's missing is the talking parrot and the space plank.
Feb 5, 2012 12:07 AM

Oct 2011
Wordsmith said:

In Violink's defensive, its hard to make arguments against a show you have not completed.

As for me, I am on the fence about this show. I came expecting a colorful cast of crew members and so far these high school girls leave much to be desired, I hope the non-student crew are a bit more diverse and eccentric.

I think the problem people are having with t,his show is that it's not "drama", "comedy", "action" or "psychological". It's just "Sci fi" and "space" and these two genre alone aren't really bread winners for anime.
Feb 5, 2012 1:06 AM

Apr 2009
dczzz said:
In Violink's defensive, its hard to make arguments against a show you have not completed.
well, we're not even talking about the show as a whole.. we're just discussing what has been shown so far.. who knows, this might actually turn crappy in the long run.. but we need not delve into that when we haven't even reached 1/5 of the show.. so far, it is leaning towards the right path of good storytelling..

well, in my case, i find these high school girls to be more interesting than a lot of the other high school girls depicted in the industry.. they have attitude and they seem to know what they're doing yet i could still see that they are high school girls..

dczzz said:
I think the problem people are having with t,his show is that it's not "drama", "comedy", "action" or "psychological". It's just "Sci fi" and "space" and these two genre alone aren't really bread winners for anime.
new fans of anime, you mean.. us long time anime fans or at least those who have a taste on the works of good ol'times and know their space opera are more than delighted that we're having a show like this again.. especially because it is by no means a dumb show despite how it initially sounds if you look at the title..
Feb 5, 2012 1:12 AM

Jul 2009
When they started to fire that laser beam all I could think of was "We do not eyeball it!" xD

Also it looks like things finally will pick up the pace and become a bit more entertaining (^.^)
Feb 5, 2012 1:29 AM

Dec 2007
Haters gonna hate.

Personally I'm getting a really good vibes from this show, I thought it might be more interesting than the "pantsu oppai fanservice!" and "Guro dark horror guts & blood" shows that are flooding the "market" as of late, but it's surprisingly exceeding my expectations so far :>

I really like the episodes so far, but I have to admit, they could've made the scene where Lightning 11 goes down a little more glorious. Or show us the crew, unless they're going for this kind of thing all the way, only showing what happens aboard the ship "we" are supposed to be on. But yeah, this seems like one of the better shows this season.

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Feb 5, 2012 1:37 AM

Oct 2011
This show reminds me so much of Stellvia :) which is a very good thing, heck even similar pacing.
no stupid battles just some strategy and planning before it - with showing that characters are aware of their actions and possible consequences.

But it seems that general idea was that it will have beams of death flying everywhere, lots and lots of spaceships and fanservice :D and nice that they averted those expectations in such a great way :)
Feb 5, 2012 1:51 AM

Apr 2010
Really getting into this show. Hope they keep up the strategy aspect.
Feb 5, 2012 2:01 AM

Feb 2010
so next ep the real show starts about time.
Feb 5, 2012 2:16 AM

Sep 2009
This was amazing. I was totally into the cyber warfare.
dczzz said:
Wordsmith said:

I don't mind if someone who completes a show doesn't like it. The thing I don't understand though, is how someone can continue to watch a show they expect to be a train wreck just so they can talk bad about it.
Feb 5, 2012 2:25 AM

Jan 2011
sorry for my ignorance but i tried my best to understand most of what was going on and i did understand of a bit of it but this show throws so many tech savy words at you lol rather not have to go to a wiki page after every episode, but i will like to see what The Real Real combat will be like...and next week spaces marines~.
Feb 5, 2012 2:31 AM

Dec 2009
This episode was awesome compared to last weeks garbage.

Now I know I'll continue watching :)
Feb 5, 2012 3:15 AM

Sep 2007
Oh man ...
Fucking good !
Now,we will have the real story beginning !
Feb 5, 2012 3:23 AM
Jun 2008
ouch... seem like that word boring is equivalent to hate now T.T"
That clown is boring = I hate that clown
Feb 5, 2012 3:48 AM

Jan 2011
Finally some action, next episode the actual pirate part will start.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.