3It was OK
7.8%
2Disliked it
2.4%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.5
4,190 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 20, 2023 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Whoa, a lot of info dump and characterization focus on Tenza. It's fairly interesting on how he became the person he is in the present timeline and part of that is because the influence of his master.

Tenza also feels like one of the more realistic characters even in a show like this, where he had to overcome his vulnerabilities. Tenza is a hell of a fighter but obvously, he was not match against in that final fight. RIP. 

Jun 2019
The true harshness of Jigokuraku's world has finally started to show its colors. We began with Tenza and Nurugai facing off against the superior beings but were lucky enough to get help from Shion sensei. Shion sensei is so cool and amazing. But, things changed so quickly for them. There's nothing they can do against them. And, they learned it pretty quickly.

It was pretty nice to have the background on all of them which this episode did a great job on. It was too much for Tenza. He did everything he could to buy Shion and Nurugai some time. It was very sad to see all of that happening to Tenza. He fought until the last moment. It was a beautiful episode. T_T

RIP Tenza.

May 2020
Well he doesn’t look like one now, but Tenza indeed wasn’t as “good-natured” as he is now in the past. Though guessing meeting a certain someone changed him for good. Getting back to the present, seems like troubles aren't leaving him and his partner, Nurugai’s side for the time being. If it wasn’t already bad enough, a fucking Tensen appeared out of nowhere in front of them.. a Tensen. 

And that’s when the best man Shion made his proper appearance, who also happens to be a chad, I mean see what he did with his super hot blonde convict Akaginu lol. We saw her making a move on him in one of the previous episodes, and this man literally cut her for that reason lmao. But hey laughing matters aside, it didn’t take long for Zhu Jin to make their second appearance. This time inflicting more than life-threatening damage to Tenza. Shion somehow saved Nurugai from the slash, but that’s all he could do. 

A man with such a sad past, who got himself a second chance in life after meeting Shion, did everything he could to face Zhu Jin, but only to get beaten badly and later on losing his life. He let Shion and Nurugai escape atleast, so he can pass on peacefully if nothing :(

Rip Tenza. You were a fine lad till the end.
May 20, 2023 8:47 AM
Oct 2021
Hell's Paradise episode 9 has officially been pushed back!😔
source Anime Corner

May 20, 2023 8:55 AM
May 2021
RIP Tenza man, died too soon.
May 20, 2023 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
Really don't know what the point was to build Tenza up into a decent character just to kill him off like that. We knew what the Tensens were already capable of.
I guess in the grand scheme of things the episode felt like a Filler since it wasn't focused on Gabimaru's party.
Still decent but felt unnecessary
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 20, 2023 9:08 AM

Jan 2009
the animation is so bad

rip tenza
May 20, 2023 9:11 AM
Sep 2015
Tenza's voice actor did a good work switching back and forth between rebel teenager voice and noble samurai voice.

It seems like the whole group of executioners and criminals are not fully prepared to the true danger of this island, now I'm waiting for the group of assassins to arrive and see how they'll handle the island's obstacles.
May 20, 2023 9:31 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
More like the parents rather spend money drinking their day away than feed their kid. Wow the regen speed of these gods really is ultra fast. The master sure had a timely entrance. Hmm so this guy was the one whose prisoner's trump card didn't work. Tenza sure was quite the fiery one when he was young. It was unfortunate that what prompted Shion's change was his first protege though. But that was what his bond with Tenza that much cooler to see. RIP Tenza he may may have been born in a slum but in his last moments he died a hero saving those that he cared about. It must have been even harder for Shion as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2023 9:34 AM

Mar 2010
A death worthy of Valhalla a death I wish to one day also have. Not some dying of old age beta shit.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 20, 2023 9:36 AM

Feb 2021
Nooo not Tenzen :(
Characters die so easily/soon in this. It's refreshing in a way actually.
May 20, 2023 9:42 AM
Nov 2019
Bro, this anime confuses the shi out of me. Not the plot tho, the characters, why do they keep introducing new characters, give them an entire episode with backstory and all then proceed to get them killed in the same episode. I can't be the only one thinking about this..
May 20, 2023 9:43 AM

Oct 2017
First Tengoku Daimakyou and now this, what did I do to deserve this. I knew Tenza was gonna die at some point but this was too soon and still hit hard. Those what if visuals were even more heartbreaking. He deserved a happy life with Nurugai not this, RIP.
May 20, 2023 9:48 AM

Mar 2021
F in the chat for the himbo! He went out on the best terms though. Loved his hero moment. I'm surprised the master didn't sacrifice himself for the student -- it was nice to reverse it this time around, very refreshing. Looking forward to Shion's eventual revenge. 
May 20, 2023 9:48 AM

Dec 2021
RIP Tenza, he died honorably protecting Nurugai, those two were great together :( im liking this show more and more each week
May 20, 2023 9:49 AM

Dec 2018
It's always a red flag when a flashback appear. Tenza is a great character.... He even imagine he married Nurugai in the future... But it's weird how he can join the Asaemon while he did some of criminal job before Shion recruited him.
Farewell Tenza, It's already episode 8 but its felt so fast...

Sep 2021
The bond between teacher and student was portrayed beautifully felt a lot emotion watching this episode. Tenza was a good character and the development of his story was good.
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Well they did warn us not to get too attached to some of the characters as they can potentially die on the island. From Tenza's backstory he went from being a street punk to being a respectable swordsman thanks to his master Shion. Unfortunately, neither Shion or Tenza were no match for a Tensen that resulted in both of them receiving life threatening injuries. Shion was able to barley escape with his life along with the criminal Nurugai while Tenza manged to hold of the Tensen until his last breath.

May 20, 2023 9:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ok so like... Nurugai is absolutely fucking adorable.... but i needed some Yuzuriha and Sagiri screentime..
EcchiGodMamsterMay 20, 2023 9:55 AM
May 20, 2023 9:53 AM
Mar 2021
reminds me of to your eternity
May 20, 2023 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
They extended Tenza's backstory and did a much better job characterizing him compared to the manga. They also did a much better job here of exploring his past and really showing us the student-teacher bond between him and Shion. Also, more Eizen screentime is always a plus since he ended up being a completely wasted character because he died so early. 

Speaking of Shion, finally my GOAT has made an appearance. He's one of my favorite characters in the series and I love how his relationship with Nurugai develops over the course of the story. 

As expected, the Tensen was too strong and completely overwhelmed Tenza and co. A valiant effort on Tenza's part to hold it down while the other 2 escaped, but he couldn't win. I'm usually not too big on mid-battle flashbacks but this one humanized him and made him a more sympathetic character than the manga so it actually improved things imo. RIP Tenza (although they pretty much spoiled his death in the OP if you look back 💀).

SoraSenpai said:
I guess in the grand scheme of things the episode felt like a Filler since it wasn't focused on Gabimaru's party.

Please learn what filler actually means 🙏

thebrentinator24May 20, 2023 10:11 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

May 20, 2023 10:12 AM

Jan 2019
Super unexpected for the student to make the sacrifice play rather than the mentor, that like never happens in media.

May 20, 2023 10:19 AM

Mar 2014
adi_exe said:
Bro, this anime confuses the shi out of me. Not the plot tho, the characters, why do they keep introducing new characters, give them an entire episode with backstory and all then proceed to get them killed in the same episode. I can't be the only one thinking about this..

Yeah, it's very poor writing. You can't feel a character's death if you've only spent five minutes with them. Plus they add absolutely nothing to the main plot, they die without changing anything or offering new information about the island.
justtvalerieMay 20, 2023 10:23 AM
May 20, 2023 10:23 AM

May 2021
Fuuu*kk im depressed AF
May 20, 2023 10:26 AM
May 2021
Af why did I watched this after watching Heavenly Deleution. I'm now in beyond depressing boundary ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ
May 20, 2023 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
Really cool episode!
May 20, 2023 10:29 AM

Oct 2022
Tenza died protecting Nurugai and his master, although his death would seem impactful but it wasn't the case with me. 
I mean you introduce a character by only showing some scenes of him in previous episode and then devote an entire episode to just dispose him off in the end.

Th powers that the non human creature or whatever possessed is just too op and I don't even think Gabimaru would be able to defeat him.
May 20, 2023 10:46 AM

Sep 2018
What the fuck, I'm watching this show for the action, not to end up with tears in my eyes.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
May 20, 2023 10:48 AM
Oct 2020
RIP knew he was going to die but I wish he could've lived
May 20, 2023 10:51 AM
Aug 2022
deg said:
the animation is so bad

rip tenza

wtf!!!! , if this is bad then by your logic no animation is good other than maybe fate or demon slayer
May 20, 2023 10:53 AM
Feb 2022
The crying animation at 22:02 was completely laking in everything... I think they ran out of budget for the episode but the overall episode was nice
May 20, 2023 11:02 AM
Feb 2021
NAAAHH HOW CAN THEY SO CASUALLY OFF EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER.. LIKE THIS AINT FARE.
I wanted to see more of Tenza:(
May 20, 2023 11:07 AM
Nov 2018
So my first thought was "if you aren't in the opening, you're not safe" but these past two episodes just said nah b, no one is safe period 😂
May 20, 2023 11:09 AM

Aug 2019
deg said:
the animation is so bad

rip tenza
Will have to strongly disagree with you on this one...
May 20, 2023 11:12 AM
Mar 2023
Sad. but, episode very good
May 20, 2023 11:13 AM

Apr 2008
It seems that the fight choreographers and storyboarders are lacking imagination. The clear intent of that scene where Tenza first flurry-cuts the Immortal Sage's arms and head off was for all the swings to occur in the time the Sage shifted his gaze from Tenza's face to his blade's movement. In other words, Tenza swung so fast that he made three slashes while the Sage only barely could perceive what was going on with his eyes.

That certainly was the mangaka's intent, going from the flow of the scene we just watched. But the impact of that scene was so awfully dulled with the literal panel-for-panel recreation of the scene in the anime. It looks like Tenza just calmly steps forward and pauses in between swings with no sense of the urgency or speed that he just boasted about in his thoughts. The outcome makes it look like the Sage is beyond slow with his reflexes and Tenza looks nowhere near as fast as he must be in order to cut down one of these immortals. That scene above all the others in this episode drastically needs to be re-animated to be tighter and accurately convey what is going on.

It is on par with the way the anime adapted the Giant vs. Gabimaru & Sagiri fight, where it looked like they recreated the manga panel-for-panel, making the fight seem slow and full of expository chats while everyone, including the Giant, just stood in place without moving at all, when in reality this ninja and swordswoman were darting to and fro while dodging an angry Giant's swings.

I have a bad feeling that future fights in this series, except perhaps a couple big-budget ones that have story implications for the main characters, will play out in a similar manner. It's such a shame given that the source material deserves more respect in how it's adapted. I haven't even read the manga at all and I can perceive these problems. Good art, framing, and stills will not cover up the need for fluid action scenes that convey the physical reality of these superhuman fights.
SpirelordMay 20, 2023 11:18 AM
May 20, 2023 11:17 AM
Apr 2023
How cool! An entire episode dedicated to "Look, this character is going to sacrifice himself, take his whole backstory to make you feel sorry" . What a waste of time, and on top of that it's like the most generic thing possible to be explained in a minute, but better waste my time hostias.
May 20, 2023 11:20 AM
Jul 2011
Tenza was one of the good ones, RIP. Akame Ga Kill got me ready for this type of character slaying.

I don't like how OP the Tensens are, figure Tenza would at least accidentally find a weakness upon his death final rage moment to pass on the info on the others or something but he just straight up got slayed without adding anything to the main plot.
May 20, 2023 11:27 AM
May 2023
This is the best episode so far!

Amazingu!

Let's go amazingu
May 20, 2023 11:48 AM
Jun 2017
What an episode!!
May 20, 2023 11:51 AM
Jul 2022
this hurt. brought a barely used character on, made you care, then killed him. they did not have to do us like that.
May 20, 2023 12:00 PM
Mar 2022
You know it's a good show when the death of a character you barely know makes you feel so miserable. 10/10 episode
May 20, 2023 12:00 PM

Jul 2017
Tenza's backstory of being this unwanted kid with a heart of rebellion, his life definitely changed when Shion scouted him.

But in the Paradise island, together with Nurugai, they make a run against the Tenzen, aided by his master Shion, which he has completed his duty. But wanting to exterminate Nurugai then and there, Tenza goes against the wishes of his master, which he simply complied. That said, to say that he faced one of the Tenzens with all that he has, he's brave, but calling for his death, something that his sword skills have not taught him since he deems himself useless. Shion has invested in him a lot, though Tenza quitting to take a jab at him, it's like with his former student of Tesshin, from disciple turned to a life of crime. And Tenza was the exact same, pushing against his limits just to land a blow on him, fulfilling the potential he had. Knowing that the Tenzen is next to impossible to defeat, they tried, but all they can do is to run against an immortal travesty.

Tenza's sacrifice for the greater good, it's either they live or die, and that is the dying wish of Tenza.
From student to brother, a life of honor. RIP Tenza.
May 20, 2023 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
This show is brutal!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
May 20, 2023 12:16 PM

Apr 2023
amazing episode, really enjoying this series a lot!
May 20, 2023 12:17 PM
Apr 2022
I'm speechless after this masterpiece episode
May 20, 2023 12:23 PM

May 2018
rip Tenza, your sacrifice wasn't in vain.
May 20, 2023 12:38 PM
Aug 2021
Rip Subaru I mean Tenza. A minor character but a good one and the death still feels meaningful. Honestly, the animation in this episode was lackluster I can’t lie. But still love this show and it was still a good episode.
May 20, 2023 12:39 PM
Jan 2019
I don't know if it was better handled in manga, but it was one poorly directed episode even for a filler. It's straight up bad writing (and any literature major or a professional writer would agree) to give an entire backstory of a character, then kill them off in a single episode to show what exactly? The monsters are dangerous? Good characters don't have a plot armor? Suppose I had built up a little higher expectations for the direction of this show.
May 20, 2023 12:40 PM
May 2021
the focus on characters other than the main ones for the entire episode was nice. heartbreaking to see tenza die. even though he didn't appear all that much prior to this episode, i still really enjoyed his character and would've loved to see more of him
My 2023 candies:
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why are the animations so bad? ( 1 2 3 )

ScrewFiction - Aug 27, 2023

119 by OvergrownRover »»
Sep 11, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 9, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

313 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

361 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

556 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.