Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, that Reimi girl can be scary when she's motivated. Not even kidding, she is scary.

On the other hand, they were able to help out Akira. This episode sheds some of the slice of life feel of the episode and made it much more intense than other episodes. Remi displayed some needed leadership traits ths episode.
Apr 29, 5:36 AM

Feb 2020
Reimi best girl. <3 She was such a badass in this episode with her King Kong mode.

Not only Akira is back to normal, but the girls were able to help those mini people as well. Good job. :3

SerafosMay 1, 6:40 AM
Apr 29, 6:29 AM

Apr 2010
Reimi turning into godzilla at least that's what her anger looked like with all those aircraft trying to attack her.
And they managed to safe Akira which is a good thing.
The also helped out the oppressed little people which was nice of them.
Apr 29, 6:54 AM

Apr 2016
Man, those are some sturdy helicopter blades alright.

But anyway, after helping in overthrowing a government of the mini people ruled with an iron fist by a big person who was actually normal height, just that he was big to the little people, so thats why hes big but not really, Akira got better.

Also, we got some actual lore dump around this whole 7G incident.
Apr 29, 7:07 AM

Jul 2020
So much happened in this episode it was insane. I'm interested to learn more about what happened to Zenjirou in the past because it certainly seemed extremely unpleasant. Glad Akira is back to normal, even if she had to lose her precious book in the process.
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Mar 2021
So glad to see that Akira is back to normal.
The most important thing to take from this episode is that you never ever make Reimi angry.
Apr 29, 7:43 AM

Mar 2023
This was the most fun episode yet. Climbing the buildings, fighting the mini army and destroying the city looked goofy, but fun.
Apr 29, 7:46 AM

Feb 2020
Ahhh yes... Archery... where you beat each other up with bows, fencing style... just how I remembered
Apr 29, 7:51 AM

Jul 2017
The relationship between Yoka and Shizuru actually isn't all that bad given their circumstances, but I'm still as baffled to why their relationship is now strained.

Both Shizuru and Reimi being tied and attached to a small army dual-blade helicopter, and being dealt by toy soldiers who has inept knowledge about 7G, they really want them both dead and displayed as skeleton bones. As to finding the Doctor, Gappa Makoto, they both know that he can be found in the town, and this Boss is a rather authoritarian figure to keep stringent checks of the smalll townspeople, they need a reason to fight back in Inariyama Park. And even though both Akira and Reimi didn't get along, they both saw each other as friends.

Saving Doctor Makoto is one thing, but the Boss being a puny figure as compared to them, and the truth is revealed that Makoto is a scientist, who is involved with 7G, and can directly affect a person's growth. In Akira's case, she needs mushrooms to regain her personality, though she was once a benefactor of Zenjiro saving her life out of the brain wave phenomenon. As to the Boss, he's pretty much like Yoka in a way, as someone who likes bases, and Reimi's wrath isn't exactly someone worth pissing against, even with the entirety of Inariyama against her. The miniscule of mushrooms isn't enough, and Reimi forces papers down back her mouth, which works to bring her back.

Now that the girls have a better understanding what the 7G incident has led up to, danger is still worth every cent, but at least they now know.
Apr 29, 7:59 AM

May 2015
It hung on by a hair but they almost pissed all over the lawn while they were tied to the rotors of the helicopter. Seeing that animated would have made my day...
Apr 29, 8:00 AM
Oct 2020
I love how things are slowly being revealed to us. I’m excited to see what else we’ll learn about the 7G incident.

I think this is the best episode so far
Apr 29, 8:02 AM

Nov 2023
Akira is now normal.

Reimi was very cool this episode.

Boss deserves that punishment. But a bit harsh too.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Apr 29, 8:16 AM
Jan 2021
Reimi x Akira rival Youka x Shizuka
Apr 29, 8:34 AM

Mar 2024
Never saw a kyuudou competiton before, but I am sure that they don't work like this. This world was obviously completely nuts even before 7G went down...
Apr 29, 10:09 AM
Nov 2022
At first I thought it was just nonsense but now it seems that the whole issue of 7G and Zenjiro has a very deep lore._.
Apr 29, 10:42 AM

May 2019
The scene with Reimi climbing a building and being hit by bullets reminded me of King Kong except she went on a rampage (which is a pun I didn't intend on an old arcade game lol).

I figured Akira's ailment was mostly a mental state so I'm glad that Reimi was able to figure out how to pull her out of that although Akira only has one copy of that book left 🙄.
Apr 29, 11:20 AM
Nov 2023
It's clear to anyone that has watched even a minute of this anime that they talk REALLY fast.
In general, the pacing is very fast and that can be a big issue sometimes.

Episode 5 showcases best why that's true.
Imagine how much better the Reimi rampage scene would've been if we had spent more time exploring her relationship with Akira.
The end of the episode would have also benefited if we had more than a 30 second and a 6 second flashback
to establish why Reimi force-feeding Akira that book was the only way to fix her (a 6 SECOND flashback is unheard of!)
On paper, the content we got would have been enough to make the climax hit, but the execution is lacking a bit.

To me this seems like another case of a 24 episode season that was unfortunately condensed to 12. (RIP Metallic Rouge)
Apr 29, 11:32 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
It's commendable to see how worried Reimi was for Akira and to what extents she values their friendship. That was the key to overthrow that bully. Also we got to see what happened to Zenjiro and I'm guessing he might be able to go back to normal. A small arc ends as Akira is back to normal and new developments will arise in the next station.

PS: shoutout to that one scene with the flags, including Uruguay :D
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 29, 11:32 AM
Sep 2021
Best episode so far. We need more Gyaru Kong scenes.
Apr 29, 11:53 AM

Feb 2019
“Or do you want to be peed on and become a skeleton”

Reimi best girl confirmed. Her kaiju esque showdown with the boss of the town, saving Akira and being genuinely hilarious throughout made episode 5 of Shumatsu Train the best so far.

Gradually things are being revealed about the 7G incident and its effects, particularly the impact that perception can have on the human body in this universe. Makoto sensei’s spiel about perception being able to make physical changes strengthens my theory that a lot of this stuff is mental. We have to see more of the 7G incident and what led up to it to get a better picture though.

The solution to Akira’s mental breakdown being to have her eat paper like she tricked Reimi into doing had me creasing. This show is so damn random but in the best possible way. Idk if 12 episodes is gonna be enough to go thru 21 stops, explain the 7G stuff etc etc. but I’m along for the ride

Oh yea, Zenjiro getting a forced brain surgery with no anaesthesia.. no wonder bro is so messed up 😭 he a real one for helping Makoto get away tho
Marinate1016Apr 29, 12:36 PM
Apr 29, 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
I'm glad that this series became everything that I expected it to be.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 29, 12:15 PM
May 2020
This show needs 24 episodes.
I fear the bane of the original series.
Please take your time and cook!
Apr 29, 1:38 PM

May 2019
Ah, Inariyama-kōen, a moderately sized town turned into a one-man playset. I would've thought that given their size, Shizuru and Reimi should've at least been able to tip over the Chinook, but I guess there is that issue of having to move around in an awkward fashion. Also, this Boss dude just looks like a smaller version of Napoleon or just an absurdly aged kid obsessed with bases (assuming it's the latter since the base is called おれさまのキチ "My awesome base")—funny either way, and he's pretty harmful in retrospect. Especially up against Reimi, whose strong suit is a tough gyaru who can go on a rampage as a firm protector of the girls' friendship.

This is definitely the most chill Akira is going to be throughout the entire series I feel like, so best savor this before she returns to normal. The animation of her scrunching Anthony's (or Pochi-san) face is oddly entertaining. As for Zenjiro-san, man just gets more interesting by the moment, though it is unfortunate that there's only a 5-min communication window because of that wibble-wobble surgery. I'm pretty sure that surgeon during that scene must have been the same dude doing the 7G unveiling in the first episode, so man definitely has some screws loose, although I wonder how Zenjiro-san got into that situation in the first place.

On a side note, I personally like the flashbacks throughout sprinkled throughout the episodes. Whether it's from their times in primary school or just before the 7G incident, it's a nice addition in understanding the character dynamics and personalities—I'm personally loving Reimi & Akira's dynamic. They're good accompaniments to the story without detracting too much from the main incident during the episode.

21 Stations, 35.9km left to Ikebukuro
Apr 29, 1:48 PM

May 2020
That's not a threat one should give to someone, and I'm not talking about that skeleton part xD

Though this 7G disaster really turned their world upside down. From animals to mushrooms to millimeter sized people.. not sure if we needed such variety lol. Anyways, another "unusual" episode, which has become quite a usual thing in this series.

Also, Reimi and she giving up almost immediately over any english word longer than three characters is really hilarious.
Apr 29, 1:56 PM

Aug 2019
What? lol so the scientist is heading back to Agano, but isn't the way back destroyed? 😅

Edit: Wait no I'm an idiot they have helicopters and jets, ignore me
Apr 29, 2:11 PM

Sep 2016
Ah yeah book eating, as seen in Hinako Note
Apr 29, 3:19 PM
Jan 2022
This show is just straight up 🔥. How it manages to keep piling on wackiness while maintaining cohesion and being grounded in the face of all the craziness is just so impressive. And it’s great that it’s an original and we’re all just watching the mystery unveil in little nuggets hidden in their mile-a-minute manzai routines without source people to complain about the adaptation or ruining its surprises. More. People. Need. To. Be. Watching. This.
Apr 29, 4:51 PM

May 2023
Akira is back to normal, Reimi is the MVP in this episode we need more Kong Reimi!

Also, we also get the answer to why there are stitches on Zenjirou's forehead. All the stories about 7G have a strong connection to Zenjirou.
Apr 29, 4:59 PM
Jul 2021
Reiki popped off lol. Them almost getting killed by little people was lowkey scary.
Apr 29, 5:08 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to Prupel1
Never saw a kyuudou competiton before, but I am sure that they don't work like this. This world was obviously completely nuts even before 7G went down...
@Prupel1
I thought the same thing.
All the previous clips showing the girls' daily lives before Youka left Agano were relatively normal but that archery match sort of pointed out that things weren't exactly ordinary before the 7G disaster struck the world.
Apr 29, 5:51 PM
Aug 2023
I enjoyed this episode. The humor and animation of this anime are still very good, and the characters are getting a lot of key moments to shine (particularly Reimi in this episode). I really do look forward to watching every episode with how silly it is.

With that said, it's becoming clear that where this anime seems to fail is in building up scenes for emotional impact. This anime's pacing is on full throttle at all times. There are moments where the fast pace and dialogue is incredibly fitting, like when the girls are getting run at by a bunch of goatheaded people.

But there are also times where it is just not appropriate. You can't tell me the moment where Reimi's bracelet snaps or the scene of Doctor's flashback with Zenjiro were as emotionally impactful as they could've been. Also, the scene of Reimi going crazy just following the bracelet snap had no background music going with it. It was just kind of awkward.

And maybe you could pose the argument that this kind of 24/7 surreal fast pace style is the whole appeal of the anime, and frankly, it's a damn good appeal; that's why I do enjoy this anime as much as I do. But if you're gonna commit to that, then these attempts at emotional scenes might as well not even exist. They just feel like poor attempts at trying to get a reaction, especially when the actually bizarre stuff can get a reaction just fine. If you're going to try and add scenes in for emotional impact, you can't treat them the same way as your comedy scenes.
Apr 29, 6:21 PM

Jul 2022
What kind of archery competition is that hahaha? I think that was one of the strangest things in the anime, and it happened before the 7G.

Something I don't understand is how the military couldn't handle the boss. I mean, Shizuru and Reimi beat him up, and they were affected by the military's weapons.

Reimi, she really shone in this episode. She unleashed her King Kong side and destroyed the military base, all to save her friend Akira. Even though they hate each other, they care about each other.
Apr 29, 6:48 PM

Jul 2021
This was a Reimi episode, and it was awesome. I like how they're giving each of the girls time to shine.

Marinate1016 said:
“Or do you want to be peed on and become a skeleton”

Absolutely beautiful writing.

Also, we can't forget Reimi's "We'll die if we become skeletons."
Apr 29, 6:50 PM

Jul 2015
I swear to God, this show catches me off guard every time. It's just getting better and better.
Definitely a black horse of this season.

Apr 29, 7:03 PM
Jan 2024
VERY good chapter, seriously, this anime is the most smoked of the season and it is good
Apr 29, 7:09 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to gorkthe134th
It's clear to anyone that has watched even a minute of this anime that they talk REALLY fast.

Imagine how much better the Reimi rampage scene would've been if we had spent more time exploring her relationship with Akira.
The end of the episode would have also benefited if we had more than a 30 second and a 6 second flashback
to establish why Reimi force-feeding Akira that book was the only way to fix her (a 6 SECOND flashback is unheard of!)
On paper, the content we got would have been enough to make the climax hit, but the execution is lacking a bit.

To me this seems like another case of a 24 episode season that was unfortunately condensed to 12. (RIP Metallic Rouge)
gorkthe134th said:

I thought it was just enough. I personally do NOT want them to slow down. Their manic energy in conversations and scene progression is what sets the show apart and makes things a lot funnier.

I don't think they're particularly interested in stewing in drama and relationships, anyway. We understand what Reimi and Akira are to each other perfectly well, and they even added in a few gags while they're conveying that.

I also don't think adding more episodes would enhance the drama or make the pacing better. It's a goofy and crazy show, so it's far better to get in and get out in a single season. But we'll see where they take this.

Apr 29, 7:22 PM
Aug 2023
Best archery match ever!
Apr 29, 8:51 PM
Mar 2015
Loved her as Kong fighting off the jets
Apr 29, 9:10 PM

Jul 2012
Whoever wrote this show should take their meds. Or better yet, don't.
Apr 29, 9:35 PM

Dec 2019
This anime's soundtrack is GOATed so far. Just please let this whole thing become even better so I can 10/10 it.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Apr 29, 10:03 PM
Nov 2020
Reply to gorkthe134th

@gorkthe134th I hardly count their talking as "Very fast" I find it normal tbh if we're to compare it to the fast talking in Saiki Kusuo Psi-nan.
Apr 30, 1:21 AM

Jan 2017
"It's the same for every journey with a destination. That's why the courage to take that first step is worth so much."

Preach. 💚
Apr 30, 2:06 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to perseii
gorkthe134th said:

I thought it was just enough. I personally do NOT want them to slow down. Their manic energy in conversations and scene progression is what sets the show apart and makes things a lot funnier.

I don't think they're particularly interested in stewing in drama and relationships, anyway. We understand what Reimi and Akira are to each other perfectly well, and they even added in a few gags while they're conveying that.

I also don't think adding more episodes would enhance the drama or make the pacing better. It's a goofy and crazy show, so it's far better to get in and get out in a single season. But we'll see where they take this.

@perseii It might sound like I was trying to say "The anime should change it's personality, because I don't like it",
but my intent was to highlight how different the feeling would have if a few things were changed slightly.
However, I admit that I may have also been biased, because a lot of my favorite shows are slow-paced emotional dramas.

At the end of the day, I appreciate the fact that this anime is trying something new,
even if that means I have to pause every 10 seconds because I'm slow at reading subtitles.
(I'm still salty about Metallic Rouge though)

EDIT: I'm enjoying the show so far, my biggest worry is that it could get tiring quickly
gorkthe134thApr 30, 2:24 AM
Apr 30, 4:49 AM
Aug 2023
This was nice, its refreshing to see the gyaru do something else than just be dumb.. I really like how this went compared to episode 3, ep 3 for me felt like a mess but ep 5 actually is quite nice, The ending felt a bit messy though but then I'm glad alls well in the end.
Apr 30, 10:54 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to gorkthe134th
@perseii It might sound like I was trying to say "The anime should change it's personality, because I don't like it",
but my intent was to highlight how different the feeling would have if a few things were changed slightly.
However, I admit that I may have also been biased, because a lot of my favorite shows are slow-paced emotional dramas.

At the end of the day, I appreciate the fact that this anime is trying something new,
even if that means I have to pause every 10 seconds because I'm slow at reading subtitles.
(I'm still salty about Metallic Rouge though)

EDIT: I'm enjoying the show so far, my biggest worry is that it could get tiring quickly
gorkthe134th said:

Sorry I haven't considered that, it must be pretty annoying.

Yeah I also worry that they'll run out of steam. I hope they can keep a good pace without becoming too fast and unintelligible.
Apr 30, 12:15 PM
Awkward Fellow

Oct 2018
Marin Kitagawa is still my favorite gyaru character, but Reimi has become a close 2nd.
Apr 30, 1:03 PM

Nov 2013
Glad Akira's doing fine now. Another wtf episode. Can't wait to see what kind of fever dream awaits us next!
Apr 30, 1:11 PM

Oct 2016
so am i to believe that Reimi didnt believe Akira, not even one bit in the mushroom town, but now has this big emotional response to a bracelet? wtf

the character writing is so inconsistent i give up, ill just watch the show for the wacky areas
May 1, 12:15 AM
Oct 2019
Action packed episode!!
I have so much fun watching this episode and also made me laugh a lot.
Reimi fighting those jet aircraft is definitely a homage to Kong.

Glad Akira is back!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24

94 by Jonas-K »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6

91 by MrList »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 22

108 by MrList »»
Yesterday, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15

125 by MrList »»
Yesterday, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

117 by MrList »»
Yesterday, 1:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.