Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 21, 11:06 AM

Apr 2018
Oh boy, it was exciting when the green-haired girl said in the beginning that they'll have to fight other group members. It was sadly not in this episode until near the end where the action sparkled. I'm just so digged in to see the beautiful fluid magic attacks paired with the strong and mysterious soundtrack that fits every scene so perfectly. Story wise, it is suprising that Fern and Frieren are always taken as mages that aren't powerful because they don't use nowadays magic like the rest. Next episode is gonne be fire.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 21, 3:49 PM

Jul 2020
What else can I say? I enjoyed each Frieren's episode! Even in manga. I love the tactics that Friren and her team made, and those wise ones catch up in no time. Ahhh, I want more episodes!
My Candies:
Jan 21, 3:49 PM

Jul 2020
What else can I say? I enjoyed each Frieren's episode! Even in manga. I love the tactics that Friren and her team made, and those wise ones catch up in no time. Ahhh, I want more episodes!
My Candies:
Jan 21, 3:58 PM
Nov 2023
Can't wait for next week's battles!
Jan 21, 6:26 PM

Apr 2022
This was a great episode. I was a bit underwhelmed and pessimistic after last week's episode, which lacked a lot of what makes Frieren so good for me. But I really liked this episode, it reminds me of the episodes in the Aura arc right before the big fights happened. The build up is so meticulous and well thought out.

It's also great to get reminders of how powerful Frieren and Fern are as mages, and it is also great to see Frieden's team members no longer bickering with each other, and rather, actually working together like they need to be. Though I loved Frieren reverting right back to her :3 expression as soon as they started going at it again lol

Fun episode overall. Looking forward to the payoff (hopefully) to all this buildup next week!
Jan 21, 8:41 PM

Feb 2020
Love love love the facial expressions from everyone this episode

Jan 21, 9:10 PM
Nov 2023
Ubel gonna show who's boss lol
Jan 21, 11:23 PM
Aug 2023
just 10/10 i love the anime
Jan 22, 3:59 AM
Dec 2023
it was good, the joke about frieren's view of the sky being blocked was great.
Jan 22, 3:59 AM
Dec 2023
it was good, the joke about frieren's view of the sky being blocked was great.
Jan 22, 5:30 AM
May 2023
Wonderful!!!!!!
Jan 22, 5:42 AM

Sep 2015
So I binched through all the episodes not knowing this show was still ongoing. The end of this episode made me want to watch more but now I gotta wait a full week. AAAA I am highly concidering reading the manga untill the next episode airs..
Anyway it's nice that with this exam thing we get to see how the world works with magic and monsters and everything. It didn't really get into this sort of stuff in the earlier episodes so it's fun seeing it being explained a bit more. I also really love the newer characters who are introduced. I really like Linie(RIP), Übel, Kanne and Lawine.
I can't wait to see the next episode. :)
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Jan 22, 6:49 AM
May 2022
Love when the episodes have some action packed :D

Jan 22, 6:49 AM
May 2022
Love when the episodes have some action packed :D
Jan 22, 2:10 PM

Aug 2020
Sousou no Frieren making Jujutsu Kaisen cosplay wow That's impressive let's see the outcome of this battle.

Jan 22, 4:40 PM

Feb 2018
Was hoping we would get to see Fern's perspective of the test, so glad that we did, even if its wasn't to show how they caught the bird.
The plan that Frieren, Kanne and Lowine came up with seems to have worked in terms of getting the bird, but looks as though a brawl is about to begin.
With all these different battles going on we're really getting to see what exactly other mages are capable of in terms of their magic output.
Jan 22, 7:28 PM

Apr 2019
Clever plan Freiren and company came up with, now they just have to deal with Denken and his group. While on the other side of things, Fern and her group are getting jumped by Wirbel and his group.

Should be a good episode this week.
Jan 22, 10:21 PM
Jan 2018
Ngl, I thought the China dress orange haired girl was like the onee-san for the other orange haired girl (Frieren’s party) but I guess not? Either way, I know that they’re “enemies” but I can’t help but acknowledge how attractive she is lol, on a semi-related note I’ve been hearing more doujins for Sousou no Frieren have been released lately, I wonder why?
Jan 22, 10:39 PM

Oct 2008
another impressive build-up tense episode! so this is the so call "each on their own respective fights!"
there are those do who not act fast and analytic types! and those who have different tactics! but oh man! Übel is already gonna duke it with the Slayer Frieren! this is so exciting!!!
5/5.

Jan 22, 11:05 PM
Apr 2021
Does anyone think the white haired guy looks like arlecchino?
Jan 23, 1:26 AM

Jul 2017
Capturing the Stille is no easy task, and Frieren is reminded of the first time when the Hero Party are about to face their own battle. On the other end, Fern's 4th party group of herself Land and Ubel has managed to capture one, while Lawine, Kanne and Frieren discuss on how to capture it using the same folk binding magic. The problem is the striking distance of 50cm, which they need to overcome since it is very sensitive to mana. And Frieren has a plan to capture it, though it risks them fighting against another mages. And on the verge of survival, most test-takers need water, which they'll all converge there, which if one group has the Stille, that puts them on target, as such with the 8th party Scharf, Ehre and Wirhel.

What Lawine and Kanne were thinking to freeze the big lake, it puts everyone on notice as the Stille would not fly near it. This is the only indication that Frieren's 2nd party truly has a well-laid plan, on top of the Giesel birds protecting the skies above and landing anyone dead if they try to surface in the air. For the 13th group of Denken, Laufen and Richter, Denken surmised that the Continental Magic Association only hinge on their old ways, as the party conceals their mana with both Lawine and Kanne scouting while Frieren slowly makes her move to isolate the Stille to where she wants it to be by suppressing her mana, which is where Denken's group will follow from behind. And the long wait for one Stille despite the monsters arriving, Frieren manages to capture it, and Denken's group makes the most advantage of it. And Fern learning Frieren's magic, it may be old, but it's just as powerful, if not more than what the current standard of mages are.

Battle sequences on, for a race for the Stille.
Jan 23, 8:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Cool episode, a mixed of action and strategy!!!
kekeke
Jan 24, 4:13 AM
Feb 2015
Nice strategy although she almost fell asleep to wait Stille entering the water, it land straight into her shoulder means even Stille can't detect her mana. Amazing details, and everyone is on the battlefield set by Second group team. The strategist team seem to notice her plan and going to steal their Stille. Can't wait to see the fight after this
Jan 24, 8:09 AM
Jun 2022
Great to see Frieren being a mastermind like we knew she was. Funny part was how Fern said "It is enough to defeat mages on this era" to her opponent. She truly is raised by a legend.
Jan 24, 9:18 AM
Jan 2024
this is the best anime i have ever seen no cap
Jan 24, 11:20 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Seventhlife
this is the best anime i have ever seen no cap
@Seventhlife you have to give FMA a 1. FailFish
Jan 26, 1:17 AM

Apr 2015
Apparently people have talked about this already but would a sane government pit their best military assets against themselves just to give out... certifications, especially when there are only hundreds of mages in the entire country?
Feels like a bad excuse to include a 'hype magic battle arc' to be honest

But then again hype magic battles are hype, so I'm in for it.
LanzJan 26, 1:23 AM
Jan 26, 1:23 AM
May 2023
BGM at its finest.
Jan 26, 12:47 PM

Jun 2009
this exam arc is becoming really interesting!!!
Jan 26, 6:40 PM
Jun 2020
sofia and andrew reaction: WHYYYYYY I JUST WANNA SEE HER FIGHT I DONT WANNA WAIT ANOTHER WEEL
Jan 26, 9:36 PM

Feb 2019
Can't wait until Frieren and Fern show them just exactly what Frieren's 1,000 years of experience has brought them!
Jan 27, 3:07 AM
Nov 2022
i like this anime
form the grapich, music and story
Jan 27, 6:36 AM
Apr 2023
Sh*ts gonna get serious now
Jan 27, 4:47 PM

Mar 2008
Personally I would have tried to gather up some food for the Stille but blocking off water sources was a good idea.
Jan 28, 2:03 AM
May 2015
holy shit, what a cliffhanger!
Jan 28, 6:20 PM
Feb 2019
epic fight with epic and smooth graphic scene
Jan 28, 11:37 PM
Jan 2024
This is where Fern's flat figure is shown, only with basic magic able to defeat ehre's easily🔥🔥
Jan 30, 8:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Fern's situation is interesting while Frieren managed to catch the bird as well, but it's definitely hardcore when you can even die during the exam.
Jan 30, 8:54 AM

Apr 2021
It's amazing how well made this is. Nothing has changed from the source material. And I love it.
Jan 30, 8:56 AM

Apr 2021
She looks so peaceful waiting for the Stille
Jan 30, 12:24 PM
Nov 2023
Great as always. Very grounded idea of a magic test which really fits. Also uses the oppurtinty to mess with dynamics and see Frieren interact more with another group.
Jan 30, 8:33 PM
Apr 2018
Took me a minute to realize what the plan was, and it really was pretty smart. 10/10 plan.
Feb 2, 8:53 PM
Jan 2024
很棒!可惜斷的點怪怪的
Feb 2, 10:46 PM

Feb 2016
THIS EXAM ARC IS SO COOL, WHAT THE FUCK, FRIEREN TURNED OUT TO BE A BETTER SHONEN THAN MOST LOL
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Feb 3, 5:33 PM
Jan 2024
I don't get how Fern caught the bird. It seems like an important plot point for them to just gloss over. I don't know if it was explained in the manga, but it seems like it would be very difficult for her team to do. Frieren's plan seems to be the only one that would possibly work, to catch it with the specific bird spell by using mana suppression. However, a lot of the things that allowed Frieren to succeed were not used by Fern, since we know their team didn't freeze the lake or fill every other pond with mana. Because of that, Fern's only option would be to just wait and hope that a bird landed on her while she was surprising her mana, which seems very unlikely. She couldn't even move around to try and catch one because even moving while suppressing mana still releases too much mana, as shown by Frieren. Also, to make this plan work, she would need to convince her serial killer teammate who seems very impulsive to just sit around and wait for a long time. Finally, not only was Fern able to catch a bird, but she was significantly faster then Frieden's team was.

Another thing, it even seems very lucky that Frieren managed to catch a bird, as the bird decided to land on Frieren instead of landing in a place that it could actually drink the water. The massive predator bird didn't land on top of Frieren, so it's not like she was attracting birds any way. Even considering that it was the only water source, Frieren only caught the bird because she was lucky enough for it to perch on her shoulder.

Finally, the old man's team's plan for stealing the bird doesn't seem like it would work either. Unless Frieren's team is the only team that is using spells that release mana, he is either chasing every single mage in the exam at once, or he got really lucky and just guessed. It couldn't be that he can differentiate different teams mana, because the wrist bands that they use to decide their teams on are only said to be able to used to find ones own teammates and not other teams. He couldn't have just known what Frieren's mana looked like through experience, as he only encountered the mana used by her teammates, as they were the ones who set up the plan.

Everyone in this exam seems to have gotten unreasonably lucky. It's not like that ruins the show, but it is weird plot contrivance.
Feb 3, 6:02 PM

Jun 2014
Things are starting to get rough now.

Can Frieren hold onto that bird?

Feb 4, 11:26 AM
Jan 2024
The action finally started kick in
Feb 5, 7:30 PM

Aug 2022
So, the highlight of this episode was essentially something along the lines of: 'Beware of old mages in a world where the best mages die young.' Denken's perspective on magecraft was quite interesting, and I think he would probably be like Frieren if he were born an elf. She got tired of keeping up to date with mage standards, after all, which aligns with Denken's point. Anyway, I should really go to bed, but these episodes are getting more and more addicting! And Frieren is doing such a great job mentoring and leading those two young mages. She is really good at revealing the potential of others and making use of their strengths. In fact, Fern, her pupil, is also showing some great character during her fight against Ehre. I wish I had her ability to stay calm and respond so assertively to threats! I could almost hear her saying, 'Sounds like a skill issue,' when Ehre told her she couldn't hope to win by using such old magic spells! Yup... I can see myself being a zombie tomorrow, but I just have to watch more of this awesome anime!
Feb 7, 1:39 AM

Oct 2020
The mage combat felt a little anticlimactic this episode
Like with Ubel vs Wirbel, it felt as though they were trying to show off some dynamic action but it ended up falling a little flat in execution

Then with the fight between Fern and Ehre, it only really brought up more questions regarding the relatively loose magic system. Like what's the draw or benefit of commanding rocks to throw at your opponent instead of lasers? Why are the lasers and barriers Fern used considered basic in comparison to rock-magic?
If anything, elemental magic seems more restrictive in the event that you're in an area without a source of the respective element
Feb 9, 4:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
This is it the action part always be the most critical point for Sousou no Frieren, and its surely keep up the good works and interesting to see.

Not gonna nitpick shit like some of the poster said above me. But i like this episode, especially with the ost along it. That's it all.

Let's see how much Frieren willing to kill for necessity.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

440 by TEGA33 »»
4 minutes ago

» What did you enjoy the most about Frieren?

Daconator - Jun 18

48 by Kurusu_kun »»
Today, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

852 by nickehhhhhh »»
Today, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShadowkillZ - Mar 15

380 by nickehhhhhh »»
Today, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 8

507 by nickehhhhhh »»
Today, 6:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.