Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 8, 2019 8:31 PM
Nov 2018
This anime has been quite refreshing. I was not expecting to be so moved by this episode but I was. The emotions were just bursting. You can't help but feel for Sato and the ending credits
killed me but I suppose it was bittersweet. This episode just hit me hard. I can't imagine losing someone you knew your whole life,who felt like a soulmate,and then for them to die suddenly. Especially when they were there for so many firsts. It is heartbreaking.
Sep 8, 2019 8:55 PM
Feb 2012
Short_Circut said:
Came back to check the poll results and wow, 44 voted 1/5 hmmmm seems pretty susp

probably the Kimetsu no Yaiba tards that could not accept that people loved another episode besides episode 19
Sep 8, 2019 10:42 PM

Mar 2015

Given Ep 9 Full Song『Fuyu no Hanashi (冬のはなし)』by Mafuyu (CV: Yano Shougo) [Eng Sub]
Sep 8, 2019 10:48 PM

Aug 2008
wth lol who are those 52 crazy ppl voting that :)))
The spider is watching
Sep 8, 2019 11:23 PM

Aug 2008
dany_elle1908 said:
wth lol who are those 52 crazy ppl voting that :)))

I think it;s not 52 people, it's one crazy person - on Friday there were two 1/5 votes. Yesterday - 43. I think this is very suspicious, In my opinion there's at leat one person with dozens false accounts who voted on all of them 1/5. Dunno why, those votes don't change the fact that this episode was trully a masterpiece.
Sep 9, 2019 12:10 AM

Aug 2016
Wow, that song was insane. I could def feel it. This anime is really becoming a diamond.
Sep 9, 2019 6:54 AM
Sep 2019
The song is too painful but beautiful; so beautiful that I play the clip over and over again. The scream gives me chills. The lyrics are a dagger.
Sep 9, 2019 8:56 AM

Oct 2017
Lmao, this episode suddenly got 52 1/5 within 2 days or so. (It was 96% 5/5 and less than 5 1/5 2 days before)

Guess some homophobic childish mal users did using alt account to influence the score of anime they hate.

More reason to not take Mal score / rating seriously.
Sep 9, 2019 4:46 PM
Jun 2016
Well, what can I add to what all these amazing fans said? Nothing much!
I can only share my love for these series!
It grabbed me from the first second I heard the trailer! I even remember taking a screenshot to remember later! After all it wasn’t even needed!
Ok, now this episode! Oh WOOOOW!!!! It was perfection at it’s best and highest quality I could have ever imagined! It surely hit your guts, feelings, emotions! Everything!
It breaks you completely!
I was so excited for this episode, I knew there was going to be a song eventually but not right now! The way the story progressed up until the moment he approached the mic! Was pure and anxious joy!
There was so much buildup since previous episodes and moments of episode 9!

But nothing was preparing me for the punch I received from this episode. It left me on the floor!

The feels! OMG! THE FEELS!!! I cried! I cried, I am a man and I became so involved in the storytelling!! It was sad, painful, poor Mafuyu! I cannot relate to what he went through, but I understood and I sympathised so much with him! No I was actually on the verge of empathy! I could feel all the pain he had in him! I found myself many times with this knot in my throat! I found myself more than once not even breathing, holding myself! With my hands on my chest! It was a sad and beautiful message! I felt so bad for what happened between him and Yuki! I felt even worse for Yuki!

I never thought Yuki would be a favourite character from such small bits we see from him! But we know he deeply loved Mafuyu and would do and did anything for him! I believe he started to play music because of Mafuyu! He did anything and everything with Mafuyu in his mind! All the time! They ARE soulmates and no one will be able to take his place! Their story is sad and tragic, but we understand and know that life must go on! And so did Mafuyu.
And please don’t let me start with the song! It was so full of emotion! So raw, so beautiful! So sad and painful! It was perfect and I am in love with it! I fell in love from the moment it started!
And please! For anyone who’s reading this and I believe very few didn’t know, but watch the after credits! They will squeeze your heart so much! Break all it’s strings, leave you with this emptiness and they will make you think and feel every word Yuki said to Mafuyu!
Tears come to my eyes when I think about it! This episode is a pure gem!

Beautiful! Amazing writing from Natsuki Kizu! Amazing Directing! Amazing composition, shot selection, storyboarding, colouring, animation! Everyone is to be applauded with an ovation!!!! Beautiful!!!! Thank you!

Again, this episode left a mark in me! Broke my heart! Like no other anime did! Believe me! It is my ALL favourite! And I say it with proud!
Sep 9, 2019 5:08 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Ventus_S said:

Speaking of the MAL score, it has gone up the last couple of weeks. When I started watching it had a score of 6.30 now its at 7.99 so there are people out there giving the series the credit that it deserves.
Sep 9, 2019 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
AddaeAkono said:
Ventus_S said:

Speaking of the MAL score, it has gone up the last couple of weeks. When I started watching it had a score of 6.30 now its at 7.99 so there are people out there giving the series the credit that it deserves.

When was the score ever that low lol? It started off with 9.77 lmao then went to ~7.7i/7.8sh when it all settled down and kinda floated there for the most part (before this ep of course), but it was never in the 6's
Sep 10, 2019 12:41 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Short_Circut said:
AddaeAkono said:

When was the score ever that low lol? It started off with 9.77 lmao then went to ~7.7i/7.8sh when it all settled down and kinda floated there for the most part (before this ep of course), but it was never in the 6's

I don't recall Given getting a score of 9.77 because I started watching when it was two episodes into the series. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this series was in the 6's because a lot of people including myself didn't know what to make of it at the start of the season until we took a chance on it.
Sep 10, 2019 6:05 AM
Feb 2012
AddaeAkono said:

I don't recall Given getting a score of 9.77 because I started watching when it was two episodes into the series. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this series was in the 6's because a lot of people including myself didn't know what to make of it at the start of the season until we took a chance on it.

Given being scored 9.77 is irrelevant because that was on the first day of premiere when only about a dozen people had scored the show, this behavior is typical of MAL

if you ever look around when seasonals start you will see several ridiculous 9.00 scores like that and there’s always some idiot that makes a thread about why its scored too high because their brains are too small to comprehend that you have to wait at least a day for the scores to start averaging out

It also never reached down into the 6 score range this anime has been mid 7 score slowly increasing each week
Sep 10, 2019 6:30 AM
Mar 2016
I hope they make more bl like this (idk this is my first shounen ai)

anyways this episode was fantastic. They really sold the ''emotions'' with Yuuki's flashback, nearly teared up at that. For real though the dialogue was so great in that scene.

The song gave me chills throughout.
Sep 10, 2019 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
I didn't plan to cry today, but here I am. Very beautiful episode, all the emotions were too much for my poor heart, urgh.
Time to watch something funny now I guess.
Sep 10, 2019 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
AddaeAkono said:
Short_Circut said:

yea like above, the 9.77 thing was just the first-day boost that every show gets lol. Still though, like I said it never reached the 6's or even low 7's at all afaik, even MAL Score progressions shows that it never dropped that low
Sep 10, 2019 11:52 AM

Apr 2016
shit, I cried so hard. It hit so close to home for me. Rating definitely rose after this episode.
Sep 10, 2019 12:41 PM

May 2008
Guess I'm the only one who wasn't impressed...
The CG stuff really distracted me, to a point where I missed like half the song.
Mafuyu feels like such a stunted/childlike character to me that I really can't see him in a romantic relationship with anyone.
It's just awkward all around- don't think the last two episodes are going to save this for me.
Sep 10, 2019 1:09 PM

Jul 2013
SouthRzVa said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

Yuki's suicide is reaaaaaally spoiler territory. If you're interested, I suggest you read the manga but to give a simple answer, their relationship wasn't really that perfect and they still fight like ordinary couples. It doesn't help that they were really young back then and had family issues.

Oh, I see. Then I guess there's still a lot to cover regarding their story and that this performance just worked as a way to give Mafuyu more development rather than giving his problems a closure as I initially thought.

Thanks for the info, by the way. Perhaps I will give the manga a chance if the anime doesn't receive an announcement for a second season soon.

Well actually no but it does develop his relationship with Uenoyama more and his growth as an artist. I think I used the wrong words to say and I'm sorry to disappoint you. It's not exactly a spoiler since the cause of Yuki's suicide was outright said but the adaptation does leave out some things which I think was important to Yuki's character which is what I meant by reading the manga.
Dull_LullSep 10, 2019 7:37 PM
Sep 10, 2019 9:35 PM

Jul 2016
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
SouthRzVa said:

Oh, I see. Then I guess there's still a lot to cover regarding their story and that this performance just worked as a way to give Mafuyu more development rather than giving his problems a closure as I initially thought.

Thanks for the info, by the way. Perhaps I will give the manga a chance if the anime doesn't receive an announcement for a second season soon.

Well actually no but it does develop his relationship with Uenoyama more and his growth as an artist. I think I used the wrong words to say and I'm sorry to disappoint you. It's not exactly a spoiler since the cause of Yuki's suicide was outright said but the adaptation does leave out some things which I think was important to Yuki's character which is what I meant by reading the manga.

It's all good, don't worry. I was just making assumptions and if anything, I'm now more interested in seeing whether they will give a bit more insight into Yuki's character in these last two episodes or not.
Sep 11, 2019 6:12 AM

Nov 2016
Nice episode. Great performance and very emotional and organic character interactions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 12, 2019 1:12 AM

Dec 2018
ahneeme said:
Short_Circut said:
Came back to check the poll results and wow, 44 voted 1/5 hmmmm seems pretty susp

probably the Kimetsu no Yaiba tards that could not accept that people loved another episode besides episode 19

damn, this is sooo true
Sep 12, 2019 1:19 AM

Dec 2018
As a manga reader before this eps released, this song brought tears to my eyes :")
I really feel the sadness when read it in the manga, but oh plz, hearing it much better and left a deeper impression for me :"))

The backstory of Mafuyu's past love was really sad T_T
And this song!!! Awesome!
Sep 12, 2019 2:03 AM

Oct 2018
justasadguy said:
ahneeme said:

damn, this is sooo true

Oh there's actually someone who thinks the same way

It's just...sad
Sep 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Dec 2016
song was alright, and end shit gave a nice insight into yuki's character, but animation really didn't live up to the rest of it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 12, 2019 11:46 PM
Sep 2019
This episode was the best thing that could've ever happened. Just Amazing!
Sep 13, 2019 12:18 AM
Sep 2019
sammyk124 said:
Wow, this is my first time watching BL, and I'm absolutely floored.

To think Mafuyu's song just completely ripped the strings across my chest in such a way that made me cry real tears. Believe me when I say... I FELT Mafuyu's pain. Every ounce of it. I don't care if it's fictional, I don't care if it's a drawing moving, I don't care that it's through a screen. I FELT that hurt.

I could hear it in his voice, I could see it on his face, I could read it in his lyrics and I could understand it in his thoughts. That love Mafuyu had for Yuki, those moments they shared, the words they exchanged, the scent he remembered, the places he'll never forget and the feelings he kept for him, I. FELT. IT. ALL. It was so raw, so real, so vulnerable and extremely relatable. I'm still feeling emotional over how beautiful their love was, but also how it destroyed Mafuyu's heart and mind. The flashbacks were sufficient, Mafuyu's words were heart-breaking and the direction of the scene made a coherent story that inflicted massive damage to my emotions.

I was glued to everything in that scene, I was so into it that I didn't even realize the pain I felt within myself listening to him. It was such a masterpiece, I was left a crying mess. To hear Mafuyu say he can't even cry, and that he just wants to scream to relieve his suffering instantly hooked me into the scene and provoked my emotions. The power in which I could feel Mafuyu's suffering has utterly floored me and convinced me this show has the most REAL depiction of love I've ever seen. The author of this series CLEARLY knows writing and understands love on a higher level than most writers.

That kiss from Uenoyama, it was so well-done and didn't feel wrong or forced or overwhelming or anything, it was so natural and passionate. Their relationship is going to be SUCH a pleasure to watch, I'm already crying on the inside thinking about its beauty. I NEED a moment. Brilliant story-telling, directing, composing and character development this episode. Need to emotionally prepare myself for next week's episode.
preach.🙌 everything I would’ve thought of saying, you’ve said it all.
Sep 13, 2019 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
i had goosebumps reading about the song in the manga, but finally hearing it is?? A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE, IT WAS SO EMOTIONAL I CRIED, mafuyu bby you deserve the world
but tbh i liked the manga kiss much more
Sep 14, 2019 4:57 PM

Nov 2016
THE FEEEELS, That song made me 100% sad, really good episode
Sep 14, 2019 7:15 PM

Dec 2018
im really glad that the anime lived this moment up, i was aim' for it <3
Sep 15, 2019 1:20 AM

Sep 2014
Finally the most interesting episode happened (was bored with other eps) 😂

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 15, 2019 6:05 AM

Dec 2016
The flashback hit hard ;-; the song was a huge success! Love it! Mafuyu is like a box of surprises :D It was unexpected when he expressed his feelings through a song. Great episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 16, 2019 5:02 PM

Aug 2017
Oh my, my, my.

the song + post-credits scene + the kiss.

I'm speechless. 5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 17, 2019 9:12 AM

Nov 2018
The amount of low votes this is getting (which is obviously out of pettiness for the most part at least) is disgusting but go on doing the disgusting acts if that's what makes you feel special about your pettiness, hah.
Sep 19, 2019 4:59 PM

Jun 2007
we were truly blessed with this anime
@tiagoguerreiro13 i feel you man

phantomfandom said:
I didn't expect Mafuyu to lost his virginity already, in previous thread I comment on how it's possible for him to do mutual masturbation or frottage with Yuki, I guess I shouldn't underestimate his experience!

For this episode I'd like to talk about condom use preference. My interpretation is that,

lmaooooo.... i can't stop laughing!!!!
SorvarinSep 19, 2019 5:14 PM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Sep 21, 2019 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
Oh man, really got the feels. So much of the song resonated with me atm with how things are with my girlfriend, we on a break and she doesn't talk to me but i just feel like i need to be with her or just let go and move on cause everyday is a little painful like this.

Anyway this was the episode i was looking forward, it was predictable of course but pleasent to finally watch.
Sep 23, 2019 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
Weeks later and I'm still listening to Mafuyu's song.
Sep 23, 2019 10:37 PM
Mar 2019
The end credit scene saved this episode for me.
I found the 3D integration in the performance pretty distracting. The best uses of it were on Akihiko and the drums but were noticeably bad on the rest of the band members for most of the scene. Although that powerful transition from Uenoyama's guitar was very slick.
I wasn't expecting a flashback montage during the performance but it was strong and didn't take away too much attention from the scene itself.
But at the end of it all; we still got this very cliche "click" moment for the band.
Song was good, can't complain too much.
I feel like that could have been a strong ending for the series but there are still a couple episodes and a movie coming out so I'm skeptical of the direction moving forward and probably won't be watching the rest after this season.
Sep 25, 2019 1:27 AM

Jun 2013
Tbh, I first saw the clip of Mafuyu singing and was totally blown off by massive feels so I decided to give the anime a chance. :’)

I literally cried in the post-credits scene. The bus scene when Yuki was humming the song with Mafuyu beside him was definitely heart-wrenching. Judging from the beach scene, I guess Yuki had something going on with himself but Mafuyu barely noticed it(?). It’s sad how Yuki and Mafuyu didn’t properly communicate their feelings in the end. Anyway, I’m glad that Mafuyu is slowly accepting his past and moving on with his new love by his side.
Sep 26, 2019 2:52 PM
Dec 2018
Really late to the party but god that episode was absolute art!. I think what meant alot to me was how despite Ritsuka finally showing his feelings to Mafuyu it wasn't all about that. This was Mafuyu's moment, everything about the performance scene was gorgeous, the animation (especially the flashbacks), the vocals, the lyrics just everything! I really felt moved by Mafuyu's singing, like nearly tearing up type moved also less important but I audibly gasped when the kiss happened. I hope Mafuyu can grow more and be happy.
Sep 29, 2019 12:45 AM

Feb 2017
I wanna spread out the info that Mafuyu's song "Fuyu no hanashi" is already out in spotify!
Oct 1, 2019 12:09 PM

Apr 2009
damn what an awesome episode. This is a really good series.
Oct 5, 2019 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
EarlCiel said:
SouthRzVa said:

I still don't get the context of the fight with Mafuyu and the "would you die for me?" phrase but I only can guess that Yuki was already suicidal or at least, was going through some kind of depression that the viewer had to notice.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the flashbacks show that Mafuyu and Yuki were described to have been going through rough patches in their relationship and out of anger Mafuyu shouted "would you die for me". Those words must have held a lot of weight and most likely he asked this question as a way of testing Yuki's love for him sort of a like "do you love me enough to die for me?" sort of question. Mafuyu said those words out of anger because of their fight and in no way wanted him to actually die. I think we would have to assume that Yuki was depressed and suicidal already and we are left to assume those words probably had an effect on Yuki during the battle he was going through.

I think the significance of that flashback to those words he says are his last moments with Yuki (the argument) and how Mafuyu might even blame himself and feel this heavy weight of guilt for words he said during the fight they had. It was just a fight, he probably wasn't thinking when he was angry maybe he felt hurt or betrayed (we don't really know for sure). I think these are all natural response: to feel guilty, to feel betrayed (for Yuki to leave him), and to feel all these things so during his song he went through a lot of those emotions and part of what he expresses is his thankfulness for Yuki, how he cannot forgive himself and cannot forgive Yuki either but he wants to and he is learning to keep living on. And that he knows he isn't alone.

a more direct answer to your question though:
It's everything you said but he only detail you are missing is that Yuki was so distraught to the point of drinking very heavily that night after the fight, not thinking clearly and likely killed himself on a whim because of the combination of everything you already mentioned. Spot on on Mafuyu's song and lyric choice.
Oct 8, 2019 3:37 PM

Aug 2010
This episode broke me. It was so heart-wrenchingly beautiful I could function properly the rest of the night and it took me two days to be able to start watching again omg
Oct 19, 2019 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
After watching this episode, I can't tell you how many times I've rewatched the performance scene. I knew the lyrics would come, but I was not expecting such an emotional impact. You can hear the grief so clear that I still get goosebumps with every listen. Everyone's facial expressions were everything.

The flashbacks showed how nice Yuki was. The weight of losing him and the inability to express the emotions were beautifully expressed in the song. Just wow.
MAL Profile (friend me!) | YouTube Vlogs
Oct 22, 2019 3:01 AM

Apr 2012
my heart ached.
as someone who holds on to something and wouldn't let it go like me, this episode pains me so much. dealing with loss and moving on.

the song was very well done, the music, the vocal, the lyrics. its a shame that i'd would feel the overwhelmingly sadness, so i can't listen to it as much as i appreciate this piece.

and the manga, dude, broke my heart.
Oct 26, 2019 9:55 PM
Feb 2019
When Mafuyu started singing I was as surprised as the band members. And besides that wonderful show, that sudden kiss also thrilled me. Too perfect episode.
Nov 16, 2019 6:13 PM

Oct 2017
Mafuyu's song killed me. It gave me chills and almost made me cry.

This song is the reason I wanted to start watching Given. I randomly clicked on a video of the song right when it came out and almost cried then too! I thought "what anime is this?! I have to watch it!"

That viewing was months ago though, so I had forgotten much of how the song went. Viewing it a second time (with the story's context) still gave me the feels
Dec 10, 2019 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
THAT SONG SLAPPED

I LOVE THIS ANIME
Dec 11, 2019 9:42 PM
Dec 2019
AddaeAkono said:
Holy shit, that song was powerful and their performance was amazing. Mafuyu was able to express himself for the first time and I'm very happy for him. I'm not into Bromance stories, but I can't get enough of this series. If Dr. Stone and Fire Force did not exist, I would put Given in as anime of the season.
"""bromance""" AHFHAFHDHAGSHHS ITS ROMANCE LMAO THEY GAY
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Given Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 19, 2019

136 by Jakways »»
Aug 1, 12:29 AM

» The OST of this anime!?!

Choi_yuna - Apr 1, 2022

6 by Chaimello »»
Jun 27, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 12, 2019

79 by Mario64M »»
Jun 22, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Given Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tubby - Jul 11, 2019

170 by Aishyy116 »»
Jun 15, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tubby - Jul 18, 2019

114 by Antoinn »»
May 21, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.