Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 17, 2013 10:42 PM

May 2013
Crazy emotional episode my eyes started tearing up as they showed the flashback.
Fuck it. Every signature I upload ends up removed anyways.
Aug 21, 2013 9:09 PM

Apr 2012
watching that episode was just way too painful for me ;___;
seeing luffy utterly in despair and the faces of the crew before they disappeared was so heart breaking.
and the flashbacks made it even worse.
WHAT THE HELL MAN
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2013 2:00 AM

Jan 2012
I couldn't hold it back, this episode was way more emotionally intense than anything I've seen over the course of this series. The way everything turned upside down over the last few episodes and then this happens, they really know how to keep me hooked on the show.

Saddest moment in anime (In my opinion). My only hope right now is that they all find each other again and soon.
Nov 3, 2013 1:04 AM
Sep 2008
Damn it Oda, I hate you... I'm too hooked to this series now, I can't stop watching it T_T

It looked to me that Luffy reacted much stronger to Nami's disappearance than to the others. But that's probably just because she screamed "help" and Luffy couldn't help her (after all there hasn't been a situation until now in OP where Luffy hasn't helped someone who has asked him to help).

All in all, it will be interesting to hear the explanation for Kuma's actions and see what will happen next ^^
Nov 30, 2013 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
Now that's what you call a masterpiece of an episode. No, scratch that, a masterpiece of an arc.
Dec 14, 2013 9:29 AM

May 2012
Wow, I can't wait to see how they move on from this. I'm hoping the whole three days and three nights of flying when Kuma sends you off with his power is true, although that's got to be pretty maddening if your concious the entire time.

I'm looking forward to the filler episodes.
Jan 8, 2014 6:43 AM

Sep 2013
this episode is .. damn feels...
Jan 29, 2014 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
Natsuki-hime said:
They left us with a serious cliffhanger, I can't wait to see what happens next and I believe that Kuma is helping them somehow, based on the fact that he whispered something to the Dark King.
Was disturbing to see Luffy like that, I am used to him being always straightforward and sure of himself, but I guess that his biggest fear just happened in front of his eyes

agree with everything ^
I do also believe that Kuma is helping them but I don't know why and how (I mean where are they???) And if he is helping them then why he said to Luffy "you wont see them again"...???
Such an emotional episode ;-; ;-; ;-; Poor Luffy! Being unable to protect his friends... There is nothing worst for him!
I will say it again but thank goodness for Rayleigh! With him around I feel everything is gonna be ok at the end! I mean since he accepted Kuma's words we shouldn't worry about the Straw Hats right???
Feb 8, 2014 4:53 PM

Aug 2013
Really good episode, omfg... the flashbacks, so much nostalgia.
May 30, 2014 1:40 AM

Oct 2012
Why? T_T

Next ep, why??
"Signature removed"
Jul 8, 2014 1:20 PM

Dec 2011
one of the best episodes so far .. actually cried ; ~ ;
Aug 14, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
Luffy as always been absent minded to me, with exception to Water 7 confrontation with Usopp, BUT THIS EPISODE! I have never seen Luffy so broken down. You can truly feel his helplessness as the crew gets taken away from him one by one. & When he's groveling on the ground infront of Kuma you really see how much he loves his crew. definitely goes down as a fav OP moment
Sep 21, 2014 11:28 PM

Jan 2014
The feels.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 29, 2014 10:02 AM

Oct 2013
_eggtart said:
one of the best episodes so far .. actually cried ; ~ ;

I was on the verge of crying :(

May 7, 2015 3:00 PM

Mar 2014
That was too much for me to handle.
Jul 8, 2015 5:44 AM

Nov 2014
It is my third time rewatching one piece, and finally I am glad to say: I didn't cry this time!
This was a masterpiece, a truly great masterpiece. I can't even say anything else.
Sep 3, 2015 6:46 PM
Jul 2018
Damn Luffy having a temper tantrum on the ground really made me feel for him.
I wonder where Kuma sent them, I have a feeling he sent them somewhere safer but who knows. After this they're defiantly gonna want to train and get stronger though.
Nov 13, 2015 10:08 AM

May 2015
First time Luffy was desperated and helpless in the whole anime, also the flashbacks. This episode was just 24 minutes of chills.

Loved it
Mar 31, 2016 2:37 PM

May 2013
Hm. Weird. Wonder what kind of intentions Kumo has for doing all this... :| He whispered something unbelievable into Rayleigh's ears so there's no reason to not suspect that he's lowkey helping the Mugiwara Crew somehow... although I still don't trust him........ .__.
May 20, 2016 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
Easily one of the best episodes of the entire series, this arc was just insane and once again Eiichiro Oda shows us what a genius he truly is.
Jul 25, 2016 11:07 PM

Mar 2015
Awesome awesome episode, if anything it proves that the Straw Hat Pirates, despite all their achievements to date, are still nowhere near strong enough to fulfill Luffy's dream of becoming King of the Pirates. After two period drama specials we'll find out what happens now that all nine of them have been scattered to different places
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 1, 2016 5:05 PM
Mar 2016
Great Episode to finish one of the best arcs imo. Really enjoyed the flashback and Luffy's increasingly upset reactions as more crew members disappeared.
Oct 29, 2016 3:23 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
And thry are all gone ... omg poor ruffy

Mar 14, 2017 5:40 PM

May 2014
Holy hell.
They broke Luffy.
He totally went into hysterics, although that's not exactly surprising since he thinks his whole crew got killed right in front of him. Ofc the audience know they're not dead, but Luffy doesn't. He genuinely thinks they're all gone, and that's what makes it so heart breaking.
The Straw Hats couldn't even defend themselves against one man- I bet that harsh reality is gonna sink in...

Everything about this episode was pure genius, right from the flashbacks to Luffy's really raw emotional reaction. I especially love how Nami's 'final' plea for help paralleled her first one back in the Arlong arc.

I'm just curious to know where exactly everybody went...I'm presuming to different places, but this is getting really interesting!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2017 2:00 PM

Jun 2015
This is the first time I cry this hard in One Piece. This was truly heart-wrenching. I couldn't see Luffy like that. I know that Kuma had saved them, but it still hurt me.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 10, 2018 2:48 AM

Apr 2014
This arc was really satisfying, surprisingly.

Next on One Piece, an arc I've been looking forwards too.
^
Could not help myself playing Pirate Warriors 3, so I sort of know some of it, but I did skip the dialouges and all, so I'm still wondering what's next.
May 8, 2018 4:23 PM

Mar 2017
this was hella sad af..
MY HEARTTTTTT CANT TAKE THIS I CANTTTTTT
STAAHP

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Dec 10, 2018 8:31 PM

Aug 2017
BRUHHH...these past episodes have been so stressful I can't take it...there's just so much chaos going on and the freakin real Kuma just decides to show up and 'erase' all of Luffy's friends one by one right in front of him. Also when Robin was left and she yelled for Luffy and he was trying to save her but he couldn't nooooooo. Then Luffy just having a breakdown just crying his eyes out and pounding his head on the ground ooooof I cant I just cant.

I know they aint gone but BRUHHHH. Love this show.
Feb 1, 2019 6:56 PM

Jun 2016
Oh my god.......... what the hell Oda. I am crying SO hard. My prediction is that Kuma wants the Straw Hats to grow stronger, he already tested Zoro with Luffy's pain, and to do so he saved all the Straw Hats but in a way that he made Luffy feel absolutely hopeless. He intentionally saved Luffy for last and took his friends away one by one in front of his eyes. I imagine this is to show him what it's like in the New World and to really make him understand what he's getting into, as a way to motivate him and push him forward. He did tell Rayleigh he was doing something that, if Ray trusted, he'd presumably agree with.

That said, this was totally like
A huge value Luffy stands for is protecting his nakama. Like Shanks taught him he'd give his arm for a friend, it's nothing when it's used to save someone he cares about. Luffy is a character who imposes his will on to the world to make it go the way he wants it to. Yet here Kuma showed him that the world can impose its will on him too, and no amount of arms he gives would change that, that the world they're in can strip away everything he loves and cares about without him being able to do a single thing.

For a long time I wondered, what would break Luffy. His emotional strength is insane. Yet, his fight Usopp and later his farewell to the Merry proved to me the thing that breaks his mental composure is betraying or saying a final goodbye to a nakama. Yet, those weren't hopeless emotional breakings, those were bittersweet necessities. Here we had Luffy break down the hardest he's ever done before because he couldn't even save one single friend. It reminds me of Usopp's break down when his values of being a brave warrior and a crewmate were crushed on top of him not being able to accept reality with the Merry dying. Both are cases of everything the character stands for being challenged. And man it really showed and it hurt to watch so bad. We got to see Luffy emotionally break down in a new way, a hopeless, angry, miserable way that he couldn't even control, he couldn't understand what was going on.

When Sanji was taken from him he said, "what is this.. what do we do?" to Robin. Luffy, the guy who always knows what to do immediately with no hesitation said with tears choking him up "what do we do..?". I'd heavily wager he's never felt this hopeless in his entire life. He couldn't move he was so shaken up seeing his friends be taken away one by one on top of the already hopeless situation he had resigned himself to. He couldn't control his emotions and when he couldn't save Nami as she begged for his help and couldn't reach Robin in time and he was left alone, it was too much. He was filled with anger, grief, misery, hopelessness, and a deep feeling of failure. I bet he feels he's nothing like Shanks now. I felt so many emotions in that face he made when he looked up at Kuma before he was hit too.
This isn't the Luffy we know and love.. he screamed to Kuma and begged him to stop...
He beat his face into the ground out of a mix of all the emotions he’s feeling, he was so mad at himself..

I can't only speak about Luffy though. Everyone was so well done here. I want to mention how Brook sacrificed himself to protect Usopp and Sanji once more. Usopp and Sanji's overwhelming anger were palpable as Usopp screamed at Kuma and Sanji ran to fight him full of rage fueled from the fact that he couldn't protect his friends. Nami could hardly bring herself to move and Franky did the smart thing and realized the situation and tried his hardest to save her, going as far to punch Kuma in the face. Their strength slowed down as it went on, by the end it felt as though no one even had the will to put up a fight.

I particularly loved this shot of Usopp being chased by Kuma.
The way he approached Usopp screaming and firing his everything at him unphased was horrifying. Even monster Chopper didn't have a chance… Having the Straw Hats exhaust everything they have without it being enough made this hopeless tone perfect.

There was also the moment where Luffy told everyone to flee and worry about what's going on later, and it hit everyone that they had to leave Zoro behind unaware if he's dead or if he'll come back or what. It was as though Luffy ordering them to escape was the moment they realized they had to accept what had happened to Zoro.. It was so FREAKING SAD THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH.

This was like.. the most miserable and messed up moment of a shounen I've seen. Yes, I think they are all fine and Kuma did do this as a way of showing Luffy what's to come but the impact they all felt as they weren't sure if Kuma was literally erasing their friends from the universe as they were already resigned to running for their very lives was so traumatic to even watch. I can't imagine this will be an event forgotten by any of them for a long time. People warned them about going into the New World and I kinda get it now. They are outclassed by so many people. And there are many on their level. .... jesus.

ALSO LUFFY DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HIS BROTHER IS SCHEDULED FOR A PUBLIC EXECUTION YET.
Mar 9, 2019 11:49 AM
Sep 2017
If I hadn’t already given this anime a 10 a long time ago, that episode would have clinched it. Wow. Luffy’s seiyu is freaking amazing. The raw emotion & pain were so poignant. I cried like a baby right along with Luffy.
Dec 6, 2019 5:39 PM
Aug 2017
Goddamit, that episode was emotional af.
Dec 21, 2019 4:19 AM
Jul 2019
Dawno tak nie płakałem, jak przy tym niesamowitym odcinku...
Mar 13, 2020 3:26 AM

Nov 2018
That was quite dramatic, especially seeing Luffy's reaction to his crew's disappearance. Very emotional indeed.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Aug 1, 2020 11:02 AM
Apr 2020
OKAY SO i just KNOW they arent dead and kuma might be an ally of some sorts, BUT TELL ME WHY I STILL BAWLED,, FUCK, IT REALLY FEELS LIKE IM ONE OF THEM ALREADY
Aug 5, 2020 8:32 PM

Mar 2020
Even though I am kind of aware that they won't be dying, Luffy completely gets devasted in this episode when his Nakamas start to disappear :(
Aug 6, 2020 4:52 AM

May 2016
Despite knowing that there was a possible ulterior motive Kuma had for deflecting everyone out of Saobody thanks to his little conversation with Rayleigh, seeing them get transported out of there one by one with pure fear and desperation in their eyes was traumatizing to say the least...

Luffy beating himself up over his inability to save even a single friend of his was sad as hell and him reminiscing the precious moments where they each became his Nakama really made me unleash the waterworks. This is their first complete defeat and it's tragic. I really need to know what will happen next.

Aug 15, 2020 7:29 AM

Oct 2019
I guess everyone is going to be scattered around the world now, or at least the grand line.
ouch, Luffy really does love his crew.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Sep 8, 2020 4:01 AM
Jan 2020
This is one hell of a cliffhanger arc ending. This Sabaody arc and the water 7 arc features dark some stuff. It feels completely like Berserk eclipse ending where everyone just you know.
Looking forward to the Amazon Lily arc.
Sep 15, 2020 7:37 AM

Dec 2007
damn, what an episode, oda has done it again.

the flashback were great, really captured the touching moments of the crew.

wonder what's next, and how they are going to get together.
Oct 28, 2020 11:40 AM

Sep 2019
That must be hard for luffy, loosing all of his friends.
Nov 28, 2020 1:54 PM

May 2017
So even if i didnt read the manga , it might still be a spoiler , here it is :

Zoro didnt die cause perona didnt die cause cute girl dont die in anime ! Same for the others
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Mar 28, 2021 2:15 PM
Aug 2020
literally the best episode from all the shows i've watched
May 10, 2021 10:01 PM

Apr 2021
this was on hell of an episode T^T aaaa will be expecting fillers now
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
May 27, 2021 5:22 AM

Jun 2019
Like I said... so many times before this. I never wanna see Luffy cry. It hurts me every time he cries.
Jul 6, 2021 11:41 PM

Dec 2012
Kuma saved them Kizaru is too OP

Jul 18, 2021 7:03 PM
Aug 2018
CHOREI MEMO FODAC
Aug 10, 2021 10:20 PM

Aug 2021
This one made me cry ;-;
Mar 23, 2022 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
one of the best episodes this episode was really emotional Luffy seeing all of his friends disappearing one after another was really sad luffy crying and hitting his head on the ground was really sad the Flashback scene of the whole crew was really great it was placed at the right moment
removed-userSep 9, 2022 10:11 PM
Mar 30, 2022 4:10 PM

Dec 2012
This is such a brutal moment. It's so painful to watch everyone's desperation & panic, especially Luffy at the end. As crushing as this part is, I'm intensely anxious for the next arc.
Jun 17, 2022 1:18 PM

Apr 2018
Rewatching One Piece and this is one of the saddest episodes released. Everyone's voice actors were splendid. Luffy's breakdown in the end was heartbreaking and seeing every crew member disappear just broke me. What a phenomenal episode!

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 977 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jun 5, 2021

97 by AbhisAMenace »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1014 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16, 2022

81 by crimeZeT »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 586 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Mar 2, 2013

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 585 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Feb 16, 2013

78 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 178 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ArtimesGamer - Dec 26, 2009

51 by hazardfous3231 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.