Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2023 1:42 PM

Sep 2017
Don't usually watch stuff like this cause it's usually trash lmao but the LN had enough positive reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot. Yeah it's kinda cringe. Especially the samurai girl who speaks like she's from fucking 1015 Japan (don't fact check that year). Kinda edgy but I was expecting that so I'm not too surprised there. The intro sequence is kinda dumb tho. It's like how is this school supposed to operate this big ass parade with deadly creatures if there's no staff/teachers to keep everything under control. But oooooo this school is so deadly because 20% of students die, so they're doing this on purpose. Yeah sure whatever LN author.
Jul 7, 2023 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
Seems pretty meh so far, but I will give it a fair shot.
Jul 7, 2023 2:00 PM
May 2023
looks kinda bad tbh, generic cheesy first episode. hopefully when we get to see more action and development it'll be much better.
Jul 7, 2023 2:09 PM

Jun 2015
Best boy and best girl relationship instantly reduced to younglings misunderstanding with the fountain scene. Bless them.

The people in the green uniform give me an oniums vibe. Lets see what happens next!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 7, 2023 2:18 PM
Oct 2016
Beginning a new fantasy story I know little about other than the novels are supposedly good. Decently ordinary start, the main character Oliver is a standup guy in his interactions with everyone. I liked how they didn't do that slow drip feed thing of taking multiple episodes to introduce the main cast. We got our squad laid out to us immediately so that's good. I like the introductions being out of the way so we can hopefully get to meaty story content sooner. The group worked together very well stopping that troll, the person whom sent Katie running definitely need to find out more about that. But for now everyone did a good job especially the samurai girl Nanao whacking the troll on the head. They all seemed to get along for the most part. I'm interested to learn more about each. Oliver and Nanao are definitely the main duo so I hope we get lots more of them, the ending scene with Oliver helping her dry off was sweet.
Jul 7, 2023 2:21 PM
Jun 2022
havent watched it yet but books are great
Jul 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Jun 2021
Zefyris said:

Let me tell you a solid bro, don't ever judge an anime with it's author (maybe do judge it but) judge it more as individually only the anime itself. A lot of guys like you new generations make this mistake I see. Bro as a Human being you are not omnipotential. As you are not good at every subject test you take or in every sports, authors are the same. They are also human and not good with every genre they make..... So don't judge it only with that alone. And I don't know Bokuto Uno, never heard of him (sorry). And it's probably better if the main characters died, they should've died in the 1st ep, then it would've been interesting.
Before commenting on #42 I read all the previous ones thought I might be wrong for not Liking this anime but after reading them turns out I was right. Majority of them didn't like it. Thats 90 out of 100, only 10 enjoyd (maybe less). Liking the anime is totally up to you, you can like the LN or the anime, not judging your preferences. But telling people their individual opinions don't matter that is not right. You can't survive like that. Better believe it. Everybody matters bro.

And who is Koala12345? Tell me the truth, it's your background 2nd account, isn't it?
Yandere_@lover
Jul 7, 2023 2:42 PM
Jun 2022

ProofByColor said:
Don't usually watch stuff like this cause it's usually trash lmao but the LN had enough positive reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot. Yeah it's kinda cringe. Especially the samurai girl who speaks like she's from fucking 1015 Japan (don't fact check that year). Kinda edgy but I was expecting that so I'm not too surprised there. The intro sequence is kinda dumb tho. It's like how is this school supposed to operate this big ass parade with deadly creatures if there's no staff/teachers to keep everything under control. But oooooo this school is so deadly because 20% of students die, so they're doing this on purpose. Yeah sure whatever LN author.
completely disregard this review folks this clown gave f/ubw a 6/10 and thought mugen train was a 9
Jul 7, 2023 2:44 PM
Sep 2015
nestharus said:
Seems watchable and maybe even slightly above average. I just don't really want to watch another mid school show. Seems to get worse as the episode goes on and the series itself doesn't seem like it has much potential to be decent.

Got through 4m47s of it before dropping.
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
nestharus said:
Seems watchable and maybe even slightly above average. I just don't really want to watch another mid school show. Seems to get worse as the episode goes on and the series itself doesn't seem like it has much potential to be decent.

Got through 4m47s of it before dropping.
lol. i was at 4:42.
 The "White Girl" archetype got you guys mad too? Or it is just a coincidence that you guys dropped at 4m? After hearing what she said I was really hopping that she would die to a troll and, then, when she started to walk to the Troll I was almost smilling, but unfortunately it did not happened. 
 I am not retarded, I just "drop" an anime after 3 episodes, so just lets see what will happen. 
Jul 7, 2023 2:48 PM

Sep 2017
Robot1carm said:

ProofByColor said:
completely disregard this review folks this clown gave f/ubw a 6/10 and thought mugen train was a 9
Lmao took me a while to figure out wtf you were trying to say but you actually made me laugh here. Thanks lol
Jul 7, 2023 3:02 PM

Jun 2017
Ehh it was okay, Nanao will likely hard carry this because the rest of the characters aren't that interesting.
Jul 7, 2023 3:02 PM
Apr 2022
I never really liked Harry Potter, so this is going to have to do something special to keep me interested.
Jul 7, 2023 3:05 PM

Jul 2019
I never thought i was gonna see a harry potter anime when i added this to my list. The visuals are great. If the author of alderamin did this, then it will have cool ideas i guess.
Jul 7, 2023 3:09 PM

Jun 2021
Nanao's an interesting character ig. She did stand out in the first episode.
Jul 7, 2023 3:24 PM
Jun 2022
ProofByColor said:
Robot1carm said:

Lmao took me a while to figure out wtf you were trying to say but you actually made me laugh here. Thanks lol
well i usually check out the rwting people gave some of the shows i like when i see them give a bad rating to a show, that just helps me kmow their tase better. Looking back on the episode it was a bit generic but by at lesst ep 4-6 it will get way better, sadly this series has a slow start. for some ressom they skipped the prologue to the og book though, idk how they’ll make up for that
Jul 7, 2023 3:26 PM

Dec 2021
Marinate1016 said:
IzanaSolos said:
Here we go again with the fantasy school anime, this one gives me Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha x Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute vibes. This episode introduces us to a world where magic and these deadly irreversible techniques known as spellblades, most people that use this technique are cryptic people that don't reveal themselves in the public. 

The episode does an excellent job of balancing action while introducing us to this world. While there are several exhilarating battle sequences, there are also moments of quiet reflection and mystery. The end of the episode leaves me with numerous questions and an eagerness to continue watching for the coming weeks I have to say. The opening also gives me major Harry Potter vibes

One minor flaw is that the episode occasionally introduces a few too many characters and concepts at once for the typical fan, which even had me slightly overwhelmed at times. However, this can be forgiven as the story gradually unfolds and provides a deeper understanding of the world and its inhabitants. 

Overall, with its average animation, intriguing characters, and a well-established fantasy world, it successfully hooks me and leaves them craving for more. If you're a fan of fantasy adventures with a touch of mystery and captivating magic systems, this is definitely a series to come to check out every week!

It’s incredibly clear of Maou Gakuin. The world building in nanatsuma is on par with Harry Potter.
Yeah for sure it's league above Maou Gakuin already, and the world budling definitely peaked my interest I might read first volume since I do own it physically.

Jul 7, 2023 3:32 PM

Sep 2017
Robot1carm said:
ProofByColor said:
well i usually check out the rwting people gave some of the shows i like when i see them give a bad rating to a show, that just helps me kmow their tase better. Looking back on the episode it was a bit generic but by at lesst ep 4-6 it will get way better, sadly this series has a slow start. for some ressom they skipped the prologue to the og book though, idk how they’ll make up for that
I wouldn't get too hung up on what people are saying about something you like after one episode. What I've said barely classifies as a review, and I certainly didn't rate it. It was a little cringe and I picked apart some nonsensical world-building but I'm still going to watch it for now.
Jul 7, 2023 3:58 PM

Sep 2018
Nice first episode, why all the negativity!?

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 7, 2023 4:05 PM

Dec 2015
This has this 2014 harem fantasy vibes that has been quite rare recently thanks to isekai becoming a genre
I'll prolly enjoy this quite a lot, for nostalgia factor at the very least
Jul 7, 2023 4:33 PM

Oct 2010
Run'n'hide!
Seems like Taboo Tatoo division strikes back. How do I know? Overuse of 3D and cringe animation of course.
Anyway. If you feel that story is any interesting please consider going for LN. Amount of world building omitted is roughly 90%. And though it is not something unheard of for animated series, the remaining 10% are not done well either. I also feel like Horn and Aalto voices were miscast or wrongly directed.
Of course you are free to wait 1-2-3 episodes or just enjoy whole show as it is. But do not be surprised at the low scores at the end.
P.S. I would be happy to be wrong. But I really feel waves of mediocrity here.
Jul 7, 2023 4:37 PM
Nov 2021
ChuuritsuTv said:
This has this 2014 harem fantasy vibes that has been quite rare recently thanks to isekai becoming a genre
I'll prolly enjoy this quite a lot, for nostalgia factor at the very least

You aren't wrong. The once "great" genre that had something of a stranglehold on the medium- reaching critical mass in 2015 with that one season that had Asterisk Wars, Rakudai, and Anti-Magic 35 airing simultaneously- has taken a backseat to Isekai. Kinda nostalgic. It even brings more blatant Harry Potter influence than previous series like Mahou Sensou.

Pretty bland. MC is clearly more than the show let's on but I'm not sure if I'm willing to wait for the obvious reveal. Shit shows like Mahouka or Chrome Shelled Regios are sure to show the Op status of the MC in ep1/2. I'm certainly not going to watch this for the plot. Can this be dumb fun? I guess we'll see
Lurik259Jul 7, 2023 4:41 PM
Jul 7, 2023 5:17 PM
Mar 2021
There is a parade with all sorts of magical animals, friendly and hostile, and there are NO guards in case of something happening? What a crapy story is this, just so the new students need to fight in case of an emergency?
Jul 7, 2023 5:33 PM
Jun 2017
i love this type of genre so i am going to watch this one
Jul 7, 2023 5:35 PM

Jan 2013
borderliner said:
Nice first episode, why all the negativity!?

I think the negativity stems from the episode being pretty bad in most if not all aspects. 
You probably weren’t around in 2013ish when they copy pasted magic highschool anime one after another. This is one of those. Mediocre animation, flat art, uninspired setting. There is nothing here
hope that helps!
Jul 7, 2023 5:48 PM

Apr 2011
there's some slight story rearrangement that were made but weren't of particular concern, my excuse being "it's an adaptation and the show is on limited time/budget to showcase what the story is"

however there was one moment that just really didn't make sense at all, it looked like more of an attempt at directly trying to entice the viewer, which broke immersion for me

under the pretense of "a premonition of fate", Oliver Horn's monologue when seeing the samurai girl (Nanao Hibiya)'s for the first time then gets interjected with a random sequence of sword clashing.

two people who meet for the first time, or rather one person staring at the other's peculiar appearance from behind who is unaware.
the person gazing then has an intrusive thought, "What if I fucked her?" "What if I sparred swords with her?"

that was the only nitpick I had. To me it was like the show admitted:
    - the initial story set up of the characters meeting is boring, here's a random action sequence to keep you hooked
    - hey shippers, keep an eye on this pair!
        - ( ironically enough this holds little weight given that they encounter each other early morning at the end of the episode )

overall a decent start and showing. happy to see the light novel getting an adaptation and the Kimberly gang being animated.
the episode did well enough to portray the character personalities during the Kimberly ceremony despite some cuts.
KomomoJul 7, 2023 5:53 PM
Jul 7, 2023 5:49 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
so either Kenshin and Kaoru's daughter or  Hermio... i mean... Katie... are gonna be best girl
Jul 7, 2023 5:52 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
winddevil1 said:
Samurai girl is already best girl of the season, no need to watch anything else lol
i can't believe half the things she does, specially telling the principal about her headache tricks :D

the book guy reminds me of Hermione, non magic parents and always reading

it's not the "Samurai girl", its "Kenshin and Kaoru's daughter", and Katie is Hermoine 
Jul 7, 2023 5:57 PM
Aug 2022
This Anime seems interesting.
Jul 7, 2023 5:59 PM
Dec 2021
During this episode I tended to compare it to Harry Potter series, but as I went along I noticed an important difference, atmosphere. I feel there's a lot missing to explain what's going on here, and how they got there. But, it will be a pleasure to follow this series with you. Let's hope it develops well.
kitohaJul 7, 2023 6:02 PM
Jul 7, 2023 6:01 PM

Jan 2022
idk how to put it, but this seems like an anime produced in the west? it's not in the design but the flow of how the characters interact, I think. In any case, for a first episode, it was alright. The premise seems simple, the art style is nothing crazy and the characters are eh.

Also, now that I think about it? is it me, or do the character design resemble hentai animation... Like that headmaster lady, but I digress.
Jul 7, 2023 6:03 PM

Apr 2016
I love the LN's but I must say first episode looks very bland, it kinda lacks impact, and has weird pacing.
Hopefully next episodes will be better, because source material is really really good.
Also remember guys, "3-episode rule" applies here.
cute nanao tho
Jul 7, 2023 6:22 PM

Nov 2012
Loved the first episode. The upside down room and intros w/map floating was fun. Although Nanao is a little too stupid. 
dragynfaerieJul 7, 2023 7:11 PM
Jul 7, 2023 6:57 PM

Dec 2015
5 minutes looks like 1 hour on this anime, horrible maybe it's so much good to this first episode.
Jul 7, 2023 7:03 PM
Dec 2013
MadanielFL said:
Ah so it's finally here.

I already own some of the light novel volumes, so I will definitely start reading it soon. 
This is a series that you're better off reading. The main plot is centered around something and the pace at which that is happening is pretty slow. I could see this light novel series easily going for 20+ something volumes at the current pace. The main plot is so drawn out that an anime isn't going to be able to cover it.

This series is definitely a commercial for the source material. There's just no way they adapt all of this and give anime fans satisfying closure. That's not to say it's not worth watching but I wouldn't expect anything close to a full treatment.
Jul 7, 2023 7:05 PM

Oct 2021
Bruh they really use "It's just a prank bro" reason for an almost death situation.

Yeah characters and dialogue are probably the weakest part of this.
Jul 7, 2023 7:15 PM

Apr 2022
an alright first episode. as expected, not much stands out but i like the color palette and animation is good enough as well. nothing special about the cast but damn, she's purifying herself in public huh :P
pretty generic characters but not the least interesting first episode this season, so i'll stick around.
Jul 7, 2023 7:39 PM

Mar 2014
I really liked the animation and art style, very similar to Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) really cool 👍
Voice actors are also really good 👍 
... but that's about it, the story itself is meh, and it pulls waaaaaaay too much similitude with Harry Potter, it was practically redone version of Harry Potter + Miko + Samurai + Swords instead of magic wands, and you get this anime. 🥱
Jul 7, 2023 9:09 PM

Mar 2007
Promising start. Already we have
One Busty Principal
One sexy samurai exhibitionist with zero social skills and
One mystery blonde.

Let's see how this plays out.
Jul 7, 2023 9:21 PM
Jun 2021
Sharri said:
They are just a Harry Potter ripoff mixed with most cliché anime characters, aren't they? People hyped it like it was something actually good and not yet another subpar LN with a bad adaptation.

Yes, this! Glad it wasn't just me who noticed it too. The Hermione knock-off had to deal with a troll that just happens to look almost exactly like the troll that attacked Hermione from the first movie just kind of rubbed me wrong. That and several other things pulled straight from Harry Potter make this anime feel like it's not as original as most people might want it to be though that is just my opinion. If you are enjoying this anime then that's great I hope it's as awesome as it can be for you! :)
Jul 7, 2023 9:26 PM

Apr 2018
Good intro episode. Don't really see why people are complaining without at least seeing 3 episodes. Apparently this only adapted the first chapter of the manga.
Jul 7, 2023 9:45 PM

Sep 2016
Wow I love Trails of Hyouken no Majutsushi!
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 7, 2023 9:52 PM
Jun 2023
Very good. Pretty good introduction to all the characters. Am excited to see where this goes.
Jul 7, 2023 9:52 PM
Nov 2016
shocked, how tf the animation is this good ?
Jul 7, 2023 10:16 PM
Feb 2023
Harry Potter : Order of the Sword Roses lol
Jul 7, 2023 10:53 PM
Jul 2023
Episode followed that same trend of LN adapted animes. Fight scenes are bad.
Jul 7, 2023 10:59 PM
Oct 2014
Marinate1016 said:
FINALLY. The REAL anime Harry potter is here. Man I wish I could’ve streamed my reaction to this first episode because I’ve been waiting for and pushing this Light Novel for so long. Tears in my eyes man.

J.C staff did an amazing job introducing you to this incredibly complex and intricate magical world as well as the characters. This series has one of the most detailed magic systems ever and I can’t wait for people to really experience all it’s got to offer.

The art, animation and pacing were all very solid. When it comes to JC Staff you just never know but this time it seems they got it right. They been on a roll since Railgun T and it looks like this could be among their best.. I just pray the quality stays this good throughout.

Pacing is going to be the big test for them here. The first volume in particular is quite thick and has a lot of world building. I hope they don’t pull an Index.

Cautiously optimistic.

okay so it was harrypotter like similarities cause I was thinking that the entire time , from the spell names to the mythical creatures , I'm so excited
Jul 7, 2023 11:23 PM

Feb 2019
PastalNightMare said:
Marinate1016 said:
FINALLY. The REAL anime Harry potter is here. Man I wish I could’ve streamed my reaction to this first episode because I’ve been waiting for and pushing this Light Novel for so long. Tears in my eyes man.

J.C staff did an amazing job introducing you to this incredibly complex and intricate magical world as well as the characters. This series has one of the most detailed magic systems ever and I can’t wait for people to really experience all it’s got to offer.

The art, animation and pacing were all very solid. When it comes to JC Staff you just never know but this time it seems they got it right. They been on a roll since Railgun T and it looks like this could be among their best.. I just pray the quality stays this good throughout.

Pacing is going to be the big test for them here. The first volume in particular is quite thick and has a lot of world building. I hope they don’t pull an Index.

Cautiously optimistic.

okay so it was harrypotter like similarities cause I was thinking that the entire time , from the spell names to the mythical creatures , I'm so excited

You’re going to be in for a treat.
Jul 7, 2023 11:23 PM
Apr 2023
There's something with this anime.
First is its animation quality somehow it is better than the recent fantasy animes released in the past several seasons. Like it's JC Staff flexing or something. I just hope it can maintain its quality in the next episodes.

This also feels like the Trails of Steel games with its many main characters.
This looks fun, and I would appreciate it more if they will not make a love polygon out of this.
Aside from the fantasy chuunibyou jargons being thrown at me, this anime feels good and probably one I will look forward to.

P.S.
Putting the tsundere role on a guy is kind of fresh but somehow it works (doujins will be in for a treat for this BL-potential) 😆
Jul 7, 2023 11:32 PM
Jan 2023
wasn't allat 🤷
Jul 7, 2023 11:57 PM
Feb 2016
koala12345 said:
Sharri said:
sr
They are just a Harry Potter ripoff mixed with most cliché anime characters, aren't they? People hyped it like it was something actually good and not yet another subpar LN with a bad adaptation.
it's only the first episode you moron! and there are doing a pretty good job with the adaptation right now.
That only means that source is bad, I guess. But yeah, keep your shit taste and don't spit on people for bashing your super-duper good anime, after the 1st obviously lame episode. Rule of 3 episodes is for at least average series, not something like THIS.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.